Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Clee, not as dull as trying to do my taxes. It's rather obscene having to pay short term capital gains when the portfolio is actually in the red right now.

Looks like I'll be pulling an all-nighter, maybe I'll sit in the Rex and listen to the stereo while calculating image
  • Options
    aubeamaubeam Member Posts: 1
    Squeaky BREAKS on 2001 RX 300

so, at 1000 miles my breaks squeak when I AM BACKING OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY... this shouldn't be and the dealing keeps telling me that the breaks are just "breaking in".. well I now have 6000 miles in it and they still SQUEak..

any thoughts from you pros !!!!
  • Options
    RE: Squeaky BREAKS

You might want to mention the following TSB (technical service bulletin) to your service advisor, though it's for MY1999, it might still apply.

BR002-99 APR 99 Front Brake Squeal Noise

Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    RE:SQUEAKY BRAKES

I've had a identical problem with my 2000 RX. I initially thought it was due to moisture, but that was not the case. The dealer installed a brake clip(? don't know the exact part), which took care of the problem. This was, of course, covered undered the warranty.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    RE: Thumping noise from rear of vehicle

Anyone experiencing some thumping noise from back of the vehicle during very low speed. I've cleared my tire storage space, and other things I could think of. Could this be the fuel from the tank moving back and forth? It sounds like it may be from the suspension, also.
  • Options
    ws4funws4fun Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to this Lexus RX300 group. I joined it as a part of my research for buying a RX300 which I had my eyes on for quite a while.

But after reading some posts here I got a feeling that RX300 doesn't worth the money after all - all I saw here is complaints about all sorts of noises, leather cracks, big turning circle, etc. Doesn't it sound like a cheap car forum? This is quite contrary to nexus' reputation. I must say I'm a bit dis-encouraged. Should I re-consider my buying plan? Anything good about RX300?

Anyone has experience on finding a good RX300 deal around Chicago?

Thanks
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    WS4Tun - re finding great deals on Cheap Cars...

I think you're right - the RX is very well known for it's features and benefits.

However, not all owners report strange noises but lots of us are pretty old -- and hearing is usually the second item to go south.

What I CAN'T understand is why used 1999s are selling for $27-29k and the newer year 2000s go for $30-31K in Southern California, probably the RX's biggest market with many thousands of these vehicles in every middle class neighborhood. This when brand new '01s go for just a few thou more at $35-37K.

Anyway, good luck hunting for your used '99 in Chicago for a decent price. I would pay no more than $25K for a used '99 with the CLL and WT options (Cracked Leather Look & Wide Turn). If there's two or three impossible-to-locate-and-fix noises, I don't think you should have to pay extra for those.
  • Options
    There's nothing good about the RX300, most of us buy it because we're uneducated, don't do any research, and like wasting money.

We ignore the fact that the RX300 wrote many of the new SUV/hybrid rules, was the first Motor Trend SUV of the year, is a Consumer Reports top choice for mid-size SUV three years in a row, one of the top three safest SUVs according to the IIHS, and the best reliability and customer service as rated by JD Power.

Save your money and buy a Hyundai Santa Fe, you get a free engine for every one that blows up. Act now, quantities are limited!
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Why I wouldn't buy an RX300...

Assumes someone is shopping for an SUV to begin with....

If I lived on a ranch in Montana, or elsewhere, and truly needed an AWD or 4WD vehicle. Or is it needed a true AWD or 4WD vehicle?

Found that I was consistently irritated with the relatively wide turning radius of the RX

Wanted strictly utility, not luxury and some utility.

Couldn't afford it.
  • Options
    abiswasabiswas Member Posts: 8
    Are there any places in Southern California that tint the windows to resemble the rear windows?

Also, are there any REX owners from Southern Cali that have colored the grey bumpers to match the body color?

Quite honestly, I can't understand why Lexus would make a two toned vehicle and then come out with a Silversport Edition?

Thanks folks...
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    malhokc, ask service person to look at strut mounts.....these have been known to deteriorate and will allow some thumping noise, best heard at low speeds. not a safety issue; the strut won't fall out, nor the suspension go earthwards.

leather cracks????? i never heard of such a thing.....and my wife's 99 hasn't done it. A wide turning radius in an AWD vehicle???? another surprise!!!!! (If I need a really tight turn, I just open all the holes on my GS430 for an appropriate period of time with steering cranked a bit......rear end comes around in very entertaining fashion.......I'm never in that much of a hurry when I'm in her RX, so I don't mind the occasional three point turn). Almost forgot, more people who own Lexus are willing to be repeat buyers (currently have #s 4 and 5) than any other make, according to Consumer Reports (I know, they aren't really car guys, but C&D, R&T, Autoweek, Automobile don't ask that question).

I feel better now.
  • Options
    The window "tinting" in the RX is actually part of the glass manufacturing process and therefore likely cannot be "exactly" duplicated.

Painting the lower portion of a Burnished Gold RX to match cost about $1200 on the eastside of Seattle. Looks great!

Lexus vehicles are predominately two-toned because they are basically MB clones and MB has had success with that combination for many years now.
  • Options
    dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I've got a friend with a 97 ES 300 and the leather is horribly cracked all over, his dealer told him that's what happens to Lexus leather if it's not treated. So this is a known problem with Lexus cars, it's likely related to having such soft leather! As far as turning radius issues, it's a well known fact that the RX300 has a turning circle that is significantly wider than the competition, and this is from a vehicle with a shorter wheelbase, it really makes no sense. The turning radius is an issue for me as I make a u-turn at my development's mailboxes everyday, with an RX it would be a three point turn everyday.

Personally I'm looking forward to what Lexus has to offer with the 03 redo of the RX. The original design was a homerun for Lexus, but now it's just a bargain alternative. I'll bet the 03 will really be something!
  • Options
    Leather cracking-

Does/can the leather crack in a RX300? Absolutely. But guess what? It'll also crack in other cars if you don't properly clean and condition the leather.

Don't forget folks, a car interior in the summer can cycle within 24 hours from cold to over 100 deg f in some parts of the country if left outside (in the sunlight/night time).

Proper leather maintenance is all part of owning and caring for a luxury car. Either do it or hire someone else to, if you expect the leather to last.
  • Options
    spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    I just completed a 2300 mile trip with my 2001 Rx awd. I had no problems, nothing. Back home the RX is a very popular car, but you don't see many on the interstates. I guess folk who own the RX can afford to fly. I'm gonna be in NC for at least a month and I simply couldn't bear to be without this car that long. Anyway, the RX is nice car to pile 3 kids in the backseat and go to soccer practice but the fact is this is one great road car. In AZ and NM where the speed limits are 75 I cruised at 85 my avg mileage was 19.5. Once you reach TX(I took the northern route through Ok, AR, TN) all the states have the 70 mph limit where I cruised at 80 the mileage was 21. When I was forced to go slower say 75 my mileage was between 24-26. Pretty impressive for a car in this class. When you drive 700 miles a day one gets to know his car pretty well. You can forget all those reviews suggesting the RX might be underpowered. Once you reach 70 the little engine will eagerly and quickly accelerate up to 90 and above, as quickly as any but the quickest muscle cars out there. There's a surprising amount of power in this band, comparable (in fact) to my northstar caddy. I reached a 110 a few times and slowed only because I felt it was prudent to do so, not because the engine seemed to protest,a or I felt some instablity. It always tracked true and smooth and I never got that "losing contact with the pavement" feeling. The car is always contollable and maneuverable a great ride for long distance driving.
  • Options
    46494649 Member Posts: 24
    Tailgate Washer--Problem??

When I spray the tailgate window washer on my 2000 RX, instead of spraying it runs down the middle of the glass in a stream. Therefore it does not wash very well. Can a few of you folks tell me your experience with this? I live quite a ways from the dealer and don't want to make the trip if this is normal functioning.

Thanks for your input.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thanks!! mooretorque
    I will have the service dept take a look at the strut mounts.
  • Options
    mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    Question folks:

My '01 RX is on order since mid-March with a requested delivery date of 5/1 - 5/7. How long in advance of delivery should my dealer have a VIN number for me? I was told they would be ordering the car from the factory and not looking for a last minute exchange from another dealer.

Any ideas?

Mark
  • Options
    Mark,

Dianne in the Highlander forum can answer this question precisely (she's an Internet Sales Manager for a Toyota Dealer). Email her at dianne@earthlink.net

TC
  • Options
    mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    Thanks Tony but she says I'm Toyota and they are Lexus and wouldn't answer even in general.
  • Options
    I'm shocked because she once described the whole Toyota build-to-order process in detail. And afterall, Lexus is owned by Toyota!
  • Options
    You gotta stop hitting "back" on your browser and then hitting "refresh". It causes you to double-post.

Just a helpful hint ;-)
  • Options
    marcdugganmarcduggan Member Posts: 4
    Mark,

I had to order mine late last year (Indigo Ink Pearl AWD w/ nav package), and it took just over 6 weeks to arrive. I am not sure if a dealer swap took place, but it seems the May 1 timeframe would be correct...

-- Marc
  • Options
    finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I believe the fluid does go down in a stream. Makes sense as a spray might be picked up in the air stream. Works fine that way.
  • Options
    craigcurrycraigcurry Member Posts: 14
    Leather will crack if not taken care of. In a car, the leather is subjected to all kinds of weather condition. Remember leather once came from a living thing. What do you think your hand would look like if it was exposed to the conditions that the leather in your car is subjected to. Every morning, after my shower, I lotion my body. The lotion keeps my skin looking good and fell soft. Just like you skin, the leather in your car needs some attention. Keep the leather clean and conditioned, and the leather will look good and feel soft for the life of the car. By the way, the large turning radius of the RX300 is a safety feature to keep drivers from tipping over their SUB. With the large turning radius, it is tougher to roll the RX300:)
  • Options
    LOL, that is saleman talk! There's no doubt in my mind that the new RX, in 03, will have a turning radius more in line with the MLs, X5s, MDXs etc etc. I'm not trying to be rude, but did a Lexus saleman tell you that? It sure sounds like some made up fact one would come up with. I agree that too small of a turning radius could be a problem with an SUV, but the ML and X5 are hardly unsafe SUVs, in fact they're saver than an RX. On second thought, I've seen some pics of rolled RXs and they didn't do so well, maybe you have a point!
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Craigcurry -

Do you use that same body lotion for your RX after you have it washed?

Personally, I use Lexol Conditioner after my shower on Saturdays. I understand that Tonychrys does the same, but just once a month.
  • Options
    First the ph cleaner then the conditioner. The guy with the ruined ES300 leather had never used anything in over 4 years. I only do the treatment 4 times a year. The car is always garaged or in a parking garage while at work, it's rarely in the sun. If it were I'd do it once a month.
  • Options
    finch3

Thanks for your response on the rear washer operation.

Dennis
  • Options
    I use the Lexol Conditioner for other "things" that I can't post here... there's more to life than Rex's!

8-P
  • Options
    craigcurrycraigcurry Member Posts: 14
    jeffmust2

I too use Lexol on all my cars, about every other month, however I use what ever lotion that my wife brings home from the store on my body after showers.

dennett

Did not get the turning radius info from a Lexus saleman, but from the corprate office. But of cause, they too, what to put the best light on any Lexus problem.
  • Options
    I agree with your comment about the "best light" Notice that the LX470 has a smaller turning radius than a RX that tells us a lot.
    I just finished doing the whole Lexol treatment, cleaner, conditioner, and vinylex on all the MB Tex. I should have done the vinylex first, the Lexol conditioner smells awesome, but after the vinylex the new leather smell disappeared a bit. I had to put some more conditioner on the seats to get it back! LOL! Peace everyone!
  • Options
    Here's my two words on cleaning/conditioning with LEXOL

Keep this thought in mind: leather is skin. Cleaning and conditioning leather upholstery is very similar to bathing yourself out of a bucket on a camping trip. You need water to do the job, and you need to use the right amount to do the job right.
    Supplies you'll need:
    Lexol-pH Leather Cleaner
    Two large washcloths
    Lexol Leather Conditioner
    Two medium size towels
    One bucket luke-warm water (never use hot)
    Clean one manageable section of the interior at a time. For example, with bucket seats, clean the seat back, then move on to the seat cushion, and so forth.

Wet a wash cloth in the bucket of water and wring it out, leaving it as damp as you would if you were going to wash your face with soap and water.

Put 2 or 3 half-dollar sized spots of Lexol-pH Cleaner on the wet cloth or spray it directly on the leather, and begin to wash the seat back or cushion with the washcloth as if bathing. Don't forget to clean the stitch lines. Dirt can cut through upholstery thread over a period of time, but proper cleaning with Lexol-pH will extend thread life.

After bathing each section, rinse the washcloth to clear it of dirt, wring it out, wipe away Lexol-pH Cleaner from the section you've cleaned, and towel it dry. Continue with the whole interior in this fashion: cleaning, rinsing and drying.

The average sedan usually takes 30 minutes to clean and condition. This thorough treatment should be a 6 to 8 week regimen, depending on your use of the car and the climate where you live. Because of their exposure to the elements, convertible interiors tend to need more care. But as a Lexol user, you'll be able to tell at a glance or touch when it's time to clean and condition again after you've gone through the application process a couple of times.

One thing's for sure. After treatment, the leather always looks alive, fresh, and is softer to the touch.

HOW TO CONDITION WITH LEXOL

Conditioning leather after cleaning is like applying a moisturizing lotion to your dry skin after a bath.
    Start by lightly dampening a clean washcloth so that it doesn't absorb too much conditioner. (No need to waste a good thing).

Pour or spray on a little Lexol Conditioner...about 2 or 3 half-dollar sized spots...and wipe it onto the leather. A little Lexol goes a long way, and multiple coats are better than one heavy application, unless the leather is very hard and dry.

The entire leather interior of your car should be treated and then allowed 20 to 30 minutes to absorb the oils and preservatives. After this time, use the clean dry towel to vigorously rub down all of the leather surfaces and stitch lines to remove any excess conditioner.

After cleaning and conditioning, the interior should be allowed one to three hours drying time, depending on temperature and humidity.
  • Options
    While I don't disagree with all the great advice on how to care for leather, the leather in your car is not like your skin for one simple reason: it's DEAD!

The skin on your body is alive (yes, I know except for the top layer) and is constantly being exposed to sweat and oils from the glands right underneath it. Which just reinforces the point for good leather care, the leather needs it! 8-)
  • Options
    00rxguy100rxguy1 Member Posts: 38
    I just say a Silver Sport Edition RX on my way to work today. I must say there really isn't a dramatic difference. Other then the finish of the crossbars on the top and the "Silver Sport" Badge right underneath the RX300 emblem. However, seeing the Millenium Silver in one color made me think why didn't Lexus just make all the RX in one color instead of two tone or give consumers a choice. I think it looks great one color. I was thinking of having my pearl rx painted at the bottom. any suggestions?
  • Options
    Don't hesitate, paint it!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Your previous post above is copied from the Lexol website, which in turn is copyrighted by Summit Industries. In future, please provide a link to the info. rather than copy it verbatim and pass it off as your own.

http://www.lexol.com/docs.html

Thanks!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    arturitoarturito Member Posts: 16
    hi guys and or gals does anybody out there know anythimg about doing an oil change i think i read somewhere acces to the filter is from front i lifted the hood and i can hardly get my hands in there let alone a tool or am i loco also what interval should i use betwenn oil changes and what about brands of filter and or oil itself any intructions in this regard greatly appreciated oh the joys of ownership! arturito ps goo d to see tonychris is back hey we need all the help we can get
  • Options
    alangotchialangotchi Member Posts: 5
    Did anyone purchase all weather mats from weathertech? I want to know whether the rear mat is a one piece mat or 2 piece set.
  • Options
    miker_83miker_83 Member Posts: 2
    Just ran over something and blew the left rear tire so I will need to get some new ones. Instead of just replacing with more Goodyear Integrities, I would be interested in any comments on other brands for the RX300. I have seen some RX300s with BFGoodrich tires. There is also the new Cross Terrain from Michelin.

I have not found an easy way to search these boards, so any pointers to past posts are welcome.

Thanks - Mike.

On a side note. My 2000 RX300 did not come with coat hooks for the rear assist handles. I was at the dealer the other day and saw that the 2001s have them. I ordered a set for $5 and clipped them on. They work great.
  • Options
    harryrogers1harryrogers1 Member Posts: 40
    Over here in the UK the RX is just one colour. Not an earth shattering bit of news, just wonder why you have two colours in the US.

Harry
  • Options
    I remove the splash guard underneath to change the oil filter. I purchased the filters at the dealer. I bought 6 and received a discount from the individual price.

Dennis
  • Options
    I think it all depends on the suits in the regional marketing offices. Lexus Europe obviously thinks more folks there would prefer monochromatic paint schemes. Lexus US came up with the 2-tone.

While I agree that some, and the key word is some, colors do look better in 1-tone on the Rex. However, JMO, I think the 1-color look can make it look like a minivan. I personally think the 2-tone is sportier looking and don't mind it. Just a personal preference, YMMV.

I might change my mind once I see a Black Silversport Edition up close and then decide to paint mine.
  • Options
    My mistake, I should of been more complete.
    Thx!
  • Options
    ianhianh Member Posts: 8
    anyone knows anything about that?
  • Options
    MY2003
  • Options
    arturitoarturito Member Posts: 16
    thanks for your prompt response dennis i was checking the splashguard and saw several screws and a couple plastic clips do those things snap right out or do i nedd a special tool to remove them? can you re-use the same ones?also do you put any oil in the new filter before putting it on ?i think that could get alittle messy pls let me know arturito
  • Options
    arturito:

If you are asking these kinds of questions then you first should have your oil changed by an experienced third party who will let you watch carefully and closely to learn so you can do it right the next/first time....

Doing it even slightly wrong can get REALLY expensive.
  • Options
    00rxguy100rxguy1 Member Posts: 38
    Harryrogers1, do you have a picture of your RX that you can post. It would be interesting to see it. What color is yours anyways?
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    If you do not know what your doing, then it would be wise to leave the mechanic stuff to those who do. Why pay $35-40K for a vehicle and not be able to pay Jiffy/Quick lube to crawl under the vehicle. I fail to see the logic. Yes, somethings are interesting to do yourself, but changing oil is not one of them. Just how yuppie are you going to look with grease under your manicured nails drinking your latte?
    When you go to a third party maintenance shop, make sure you watch them and that they put oil back in the engine and not the radiator. I once owned a vette and I took it into a chevy dealer for lube and rear end fluid change. Well as luck would have it, I was watching when the mechanic put the rear end grease (not fluid) back in and he used the wrong type. I went to the shop manager and he changed the fluid again. Bottom line, even the trained mechanic can make a mistake, but he is less likely to do so then the Doctor who operates on his own car.
    When it comes to the more important things like brakes and front end work, please do all of us on the road with you a favor and go to a automotive shop for your work. The life you save could be mine.