Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    It looks like the best price I can get on the rear spoiler is around $221. Has anyone else purchased this part and installed it themselves? The local shop is asking for 2 hr's labor at around $70/hr. I'm very mechanically inclined and just wanted to poll for suggestions before attempting this myself.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I like to do my own, not because I want to save money. I just don't trust other people, at least at this level of complexity.
  • Options
    boskobosko Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 4WD RX300 last night with premium plus package and some other stuff (spoiler, cargo mat etc) for 35,500. The MSRP was ~39,300. I told them I was willin to pay 500 over invoice and haggling was over in 5 minutes. They did claim a bit higher invoice than what I had researched (I had 34650 they had 35050) but they gave me a good financing rate so I didn't bother with it. TMV on the config at edmunds.com was 35517.

good deal?

Also, how much is lojack supposed to be? They charged 630 but I thought I heard it was much less...
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I just ran the numbers and they were indeed telling the truth on the invoice, which means you got a great deal. Lexus did have an invoice price increase on several models within the last 60 days, many web sites are working with outdated information. MSRP has stayed the same.

Again, great deal and enjoy the miles.
  • Options
    I just bought a 4WD RX300 last night with premium plus package and some other stuff (spoiler, cargo mat etc) for 35,500. The MSRP was ~39,300. I told them I was willin to pay 500 over invoice and haggling was over in 5 minutes. They did claim a bit higher invoice than what I had researched (I had 34650 they had 35050) but they gave me a good financing rate so I didn't bother with it. TMV on the config at edmunds.com was 35517.

good deal?

Also, how much is lojack supposed to be? They charged 630 but I thought I heard it was much less...
  • Options
    jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    I have short listed to MDX and RX300 and am having a really hard time deciding between the two. Honestly, I was more inclined towards the MDX due to:

1) its 3 row seating (for instances when friends or family are visiting, other wise our first child is due in late July)
    2) its comparatively more user friendly nav system (based on comments here and at acuramdx.org
    3) peppy engine (0-60 in 8.1 sec per MotorTrend)

I test drove RX300 this weekend and I liked the ride and my wife liked it so much she wanted to drive back the in the RX. In my mind, I see the following advantages in RX over MDX:
    1) I thought the dealership was really professional and can see that I'd probably get a better after sales experience at a Lexus dealership.
    2) I felt the build quality in the RX is superior to that in MDX
    3) One can readily test drive an RX compared to MDX, which I have still not driven

I have less than perfect eye sight and was wondering how useful the RX owners find the following features in 2001 RXs:
    * The HID lamps
    * The water repellant front side windows

Also, I am not a "off-road" person but how would a FWD RX fare in minor off-road situations. My Mitsubishi Galant recently skid off an exit ramp during major down pour onto the road side green and got stuck there (had to be towed out), would a FWD RX have done any better in those conditions or would an AWD be absolutely necessary? I am inclined towards the FWD due to better acceleration 0-60 mph compared to AWD.

I would really appreciate any comments to help me make a decision.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    Having shopped both vehicles, and now a Rex owner, you might think I'm biased. Believe it or not, I'll be as objective as possible.

You didn't mention cargo space, but you did mention third row seating. The MDX is the logical choice in both areas, but I caution on using the third row for kids on any long outings.

The MDX's comparatively more user friendly nav system (based on comments here and at acuramdx.org

I can't comment on the MDX's "user friendlyness" but I know for a fact that the street database on the Lexus' navigation sysetm (OEM'ed by Denso) is more complete. I've run tests with friends who own the MDX and RX300's Nav would have streets that the MDX didn't.

The MDX peppy engine (0-60 in 8.1 sec per MotorTrend)

This is a draw as far as I'm concerned. Though the MDX has additional HP, it's also heavier which negates it's advantage. I believe that either MT or R&T tested the FWD Rex at 8.3(?) and the AWD at 8.8(?). Both the MDX and Rex are very peppy.

I test drove RX300 this weekend and I liked the ride and my wife liked it so much she wanted to drive back the in the RX.

The same exact thing happen to my wife. She wanted nothing to do with buying a Lexus, but after she test drove it, she came home and said to me "we must have this vehicle." You absolutely have to test drive an MDX before you make a critical decision like this. You shouldn't take anybody's word whether the Rex has better drive comfort than the MDX, this is a highly subjective area. My opinion after driving the MDX, ML320 and Rx300 is that the RX has the best drive comfort.

The HID lamps

If you live in an area/roads that have poor lighting, you will love these.

The water repellant front side windows

This feature sounds so "minor" to most folks, but let me tell you, everytime it rains I'm amazed how much I love these things.

My Mitsubishi Galant recently skid off an exit ramp during major down pour onto the road side green and got stuck there (had to be towed out), would a FWD RX have done any better in those conditions or would an AWD be absolutely necessary?

Two things would have helped here: a good set of rubber and VSC (vehicle skid control), which the Rex has. Would AWD be even better? Yes, because the Rex's AWD system is permanent, meaning that the torque is always distributed to all four wheels. Spreading the torque around decreases the chances that a wheel will "break free" and cause you to lose control.

I am inclined towards the FWD due to better acceleration 0-60 mph compared to AWD.

Since the difference is only about half a second, I'd go for the AWD (which I did). I wanted the safest vehicle I could afford.

Both the MDX and Rex are fine vehicles, but because of a mature production line and competition, you can get a loaded Rex for less than a loaded MDX.
    Good luck with whichever vehicle you choose!

TC
  • Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Has anyone successfully programmed the RX300 Homelink garage door opener using a Genie Intellicode system?
  • Options
    jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    Thank you tonychrys for your detailed and helpful response.
    I posted a message earlier after your message that some how did not show up on the board.
    Its good to hear that you find the water repellant windows useful. I think I'd like that feature too. Also, are the HID lamps street legal?
    I'm having a hard time getting the opportunity to test drive the MDX, I'm definitely not going to buy one without driving one.
    I'm leaning towards RX, lets see ...
    Appreciate your helpful comments
  • Options
    lexusownerlexusowner Member Posts: 1
    I recently traded my 99 RX for a 01 RX with NAV. I noticed that whenever I use CD player, the antenna goes up. It never did that with the 99. Does anyone know if this is one of the CBEST options that the techs can turn off?
  • Options
    I did a search on lo-jack and found a few messages that explained lo-jack on a lexus rx300 can be had for $350. The dealership quoted me $630 yesterday, saying how they got fleet discount and all that junk so I ordered it. Today I went to pick up the car (it's great!) and went in and confronted the guy, telling him he was not doing me any favors installing it at MSRP! I told them I'd buy it for $400 or I'd cancel the order and get it done elsewhere. He whined how he would not be making any money (gimme a break, he's still making at least $100 minus labor) but in the end, he said they'd do it.

I hate it when they give me that face like I borke his heart and I'm taking advantage of him. He's looking at me like I took advantage of him so I tell him "I am not going to take you up on your offer if you'll give me that face. I'll walk out of here and do it elsewhere no hard feelings". Sure enough, he started smiling straight away and printed out the new contract with a 230 markdown on the amount financed.

Saved me $5 per month, but every dollar counts.
  • Options
    Advice to potential buyers: Do your research before shopping, come in with printed materials and tell the dealer how much over the invoice you're willing to pay. It's helpful if you choose a specific car, go home and come back with new, more specific research about that exact configurtion. Don't fail to mention "the other car you're considering to buy if this one does not work out". My card was Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Nice car, similar MSRP but special 1.9% financing that could save $4000, but what I did not tell them was that I wouldn't have it because of poor frontal crash safety ratings. I offered them $500 over invoice and they accepted. Negotiation was done in 15 minutes. And I know I got a good deal because I researched it beforehand.

If you make an offer on which they'll be making nice money too (counting holdback and how much over invoice you offered), more likely than not they will accept it on the spot, especially on a high-volume-selling car such as RX300.

Good luck shopping! I must say I was surprised how well I did given this is my first car purchase. All I did is read edmunds.com resources and tried to remember not to get intimidated. Don't feel sorry for the dealer -- that "you broke my heart" face they practice every night before they go to bed. It's all an act.
  • Options
    spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    Most Rex owners ain't gonna take there $40k toy out into the rocks and brush. But I gotta believe the awd makes the car even more safe, especially in those extreme weather conditions.
  • Options
    I like you... you did good. And I don't say that often about folks.

You hit the nail right on the head: They wouldn't do the deal if they were losing money.

Welcome to the Rex family.
  • Options
    Are perfectly street legal... or they wouldn't be selling cars with them.
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    You are correct about the antenna going up even when the CD player is operating. My GS's antenna will remain up if the radio was on first and then I switch to CD, otherwise the antenna will stay down if I have CD going from engine start. I don't know why Lexus has changed this.
    I have not seen anything about being able to change this through CBEST, either on this forum or in the shop manuals.
  • Options
    mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    Congrats, you got an outstanding deal. 2 things. I am in the market for a new RX 300. Could you pl post the name of your dealer and the salesman you dealt with. Did they charge you a doc. fee etc? Secondly what is lo-jack? Thanks.
  • Options
    Dealership: Lexus of Steevens Creek in San Jose, CA (or is it Santa Clara, CA, it's hard to tell)

Car: 4WD white 2001 Lexus RX300, Premium Plus, spoiler, wheel locks, cargo mat, crossbars

Price paid: $35500 (MSRP $39316)

License: $510

Tire fee: $5

Document fee: $45

Lo-jack: $400 -- but I actually almost spent more time negotiating this one than the car (MSRP $595).

LoJack is a car tracking device in case of theft, and it lowers your insurance premiums. It's nice, they come over to your work or home to install it.

Good luck
  • Options
    plezyplezy Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased my RX300 from Lexus of Valencia. I can't say enough about the quality of assistance that I received from all the personnel at this delearship during the purchasing and delivery process. They all seem to be expertly trained and are really trying to establish a reputation of being the best of the best. I started my buying experience by test driving the BMWX5,Jeep,Mercedes and Lexus LX400 and RX300 then I researched the list price on Car.com and on Cars Direct.com. I negotiated the price via Em-ail with two dealerships to try to get the best price. My wife and I went to the Valencia dealership to select the color and were so impressed with the sales people, their available inventory and the aggressive pricing that we purchased the car that day. It is a White/gold with Nav and a gold package (everything except trailer hitch)and Bridgestone tires. The price was $38,000 pre tax and license. The next day I remembered that Lexus offers a $500 repeat buyers factory discount so I asked them for the discount. They gave it to me without hesitation. In advance of purchasing the RX I called Service Tire in Van Nuys and arranged to have chorme wheels installed (including balancing) for$450. The dealer list for the chrome wheels was $1700 which was outrageous! I also purchased the Lo-Jack for $495 and a 6 year/100K extended warranty for $1400. I then sold my '94 LS400 to a private party at $3500 more than the dealer offered me for a trade in. All in all I don't think I left too much on the table. Maybe the extended warranty was an over kill but it will be a great selling point when I sell the RX in 4 or 5 years.

My wive and I are really happy with the RX. We have had no prolems with anything except with the Nav insisting on a trip plan that was not the fastest route.
  • Options
    malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Does anyone have any service experience of their RX 300 at the Toyota dealers. I know a lot of $$ can be saved.
  • Options
    outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    Just curious about everyones experience with the extended "Platinum" warranty. No one at the dealership mentioned it until I brought it up, so apparently it's not being "pushed".

For an RX300, they were asking $150 below what the web site offers. 6/100 for $1575, and a 7/100 for $1725. I inquired about negotiating these prices, and got the impression that they weren't negotiable. I see that plezy a few messsages up got a 6/100 for $1400. Was that the Gold or Platinum?

I didn't purchase it (yet), as I have until 36,000 miles (currently at about 170 miles). They did mention that the prices will probably go up around September (when Lexus sends them a new "book" with prices).

What's the general concensus on the RX300's warranty? Worth it? Over priced? Considering all the electronic gadgetry (Nav, VSC, TRAC, auto-dimming mirrors, etc.), my feeling is that it might be a good idea. If just the Nav breaks, it'll easily cost $2k to fix it. But what are the odds of it breaking....

-Craig
  • Options
    I just put down a deposit & will be picking up my new RX 300 next week. $ 34200 for a FWD w/ premium plus package, HID & wood steering wheel.

Would appreciate any suggestions, as to what I need to be looking out for and checking out before taking delivery. I have been watching this site for the last few months and have gained tremendously. Thanks a lot you all.
  • Options
    In answer to the question from "Outrun", the extended warranty package I purchased for $1400 is a 6 year/100,000 Platinum policy. (Also, I forgot to mention that our RX is AWD.)
  • Options
    denise121888denise121888 Member Posts: 2
    Congrats on your new purchase. I was going to go down to LA in a couple of weeks to pick up a RX like yours...through carsdirect. However, I dreaded the hassle of flying and the long drive back to Northern CA. Thanks so much for the info...however, could you please tell me the name of the sales person you spoke to? I hate haggling for a car, and would like to purchase the car without any hassles. Thanks so much...from me and all of the others in Northern CA that want a good deal on a RX.
  • Options
    a098a098 Member Posts: 1
    My wife wants a new Lexus RX300. I want the best price. She wants the color to be white, Premium Plus Pkg. Accessory Crossbars, Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, HID Head lamps, Premium Plus Pkg., Wheel Locks and Wood and Leather Steering Wheel. I am curious what others are paying for this vehicle. I would like to hear from anyone in the southeast area. I currently live in Northwest Florida.
    Also, is the Navigation System worth the money?
  • Options
    sooner7sooner7 Member Posts: 1
    For those RX300 owners in colder climates, has anyone experienced poor heater performance? We had a cold winter here in Colorado. It took upwards of 30 minutes for the car to comfortably heat up the interior with setting on HOT. Usually have to set temperature at 80 degrees to stay comfortable up front. Rear seat passengers are usually 10 degrees cooler, per my handy ACE hardware thermometer. Lexus and dealership say system performing as designed. For a "luxury" vehicle, this is unacceptable. Lexus says no other complaints on heating system. You folks in CA probably have never turned the heat on, but what about colder climate owners??
  • Options
    I just negotiated $ 34200 for a 2wd RX 300 with all the options you have mentioned. This is Georgia.I also spoke to a bunch of dealers in North & South Carolina, Florida and this is the best I could negotiate. The folks in Jacksonville were willing to match this price. Let me know if you need any other details.

good luck.
  • Options
    Plezy, did you negotiate that price, or was that what they were offering as a price up front? I assume that it's for a $0 deductable as well...

Thanks...
  • Options
    I live in the Northeast and have had the Rex since late January. We simply set the temperature at 74 deg, leave it on auto, and have never had to touch it. Heat usually comes on once the engine is slighty warm, within 5 minutes. It doesn't make sense to start pumping heat until there is adequate heat source, unless you like a face full of cold air.

If it is truly taking 30 minutes for the heat to come on then I suspect there might be something wrong with the thermostat on the engine... what temperature does your engine typical idle about? (should be midway on the temperature gauge)
  • Options
    I negotiated the price of the Platinum Warranty Policy with the finance guy after I settled on the price of the car. It is a $50 deductible plan. I did not consider the zero deductible plan as it was not worth the extra cost. (I used the same logic I used to purchase my automobile collision and liability insurance) I bought the insurance to cover myself for major problems that can happen after the standard warranty has expired. It's also a great selling feature if you sell your car as it is transferable. (by the way, if you buy your warranty as a used car then the warranty is not transferable but you can get a refund on the unused portion of the remaining warranty when you sell it or trade it in.)
  • Options
    pdswaypdsway Member Posts: 14
    Ext. Warranty - I paid $1200 (or $1100 can't remember) for Plat. 6/100.

Toyota Service - I have 2 "local" Toyota dealers, 1 I hate so I called the other and they said "No" when I asked if they serviced Lexus. Then called another Toyota dealer that I drive by on the way to work. They said "yes" to a oil change & tire rotation, plus had internet coupons and only cost me $27. They used the same Toyota oil filter (if that matters).

Still, for my $30k I will go back to the Lexus dealer (not sure if Toy would do this or not).

PDS
  • Options
    Extensive Toyota service is not really feasible on the Rex for the simple reason there is no equivalent model in the U.S., so there will be a lack of parts beyond the ordinary stuff like oil filters, etc.

The Infinit QX4 folks can get away with bringing their SUV to the Nissan dealer because the QX4 is simply a flashier Pathfinder, and they share many of the same parts.
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    Tony, With Toyota now delivering the Highlander, I would think that there would be more cross over technology then before. Don't they have the same motor and drivetrain? Probably the same electronics and I bet some interior parts. There would also be some lights that are the same. So, I would think that a Toyota dealer's service department would jump at the chance to make some money off of those rich Lexus folks. Unless the Lexus dealer is also the owner of the local Toyota shop.
  • Options
    malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Thanks!! for the input pdsway, tonychrys, and clee4 re: the Toyota service.
  • Options
    I don't think it matters who you see in the dealership, since they still make a ton of money on a $500 over invoice offer and they have a steady supply of RX300's coming in.

They sell more RX300's than all other models combined (not every month, but some months)!

See Bob Walden, he's friendly and actually from what I could tell pretty honest too (as much as one could expect from a car salesman I guess). Make sure you know your numbers just in case.

Good luck.
  • Options
    The Highlander is a close cousin to the Rex, but actually a newer design. Agreed, many items and possibly the engine/parts might be interchangeable. Many folks think that the 3.0L Toyota engine is the same across different models, but in fact they take the base design and then tweak for different hp and torque, transmissions, and final gear ratios.

If the Highlander was actually the low end version of the Rex, the Japanese model Harrier, then it'd be a different story and we'd all probably taking our cars to Toyota dealers!
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    More like a brother than cousin. There built off the same platform, share parts, etc. Highlander is a bit longer/stretched. Get in a Highlander, there the same! I would say that the Highlander is a lower priced version(not identical but not far off). Toyota dealers can perform services on the RX.
  • Options
    gdanczykgdanczyk Member Posts: 26
    The other option is to buy from a SoCal dealer and have them flat bed the RX up here. I used CARS Towing and Transport, (800) 447-7848 and it was around $300. Well under the money I saved by buying a car in SoCal. But, with the dot bomb, you might be able to negotiate a better deal in the Bay area now.
  • Options
    denise121888denise121888 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Bosko and Gdanczyk for your very helpful advice. I just hate hassling with the dealers and the games that they play, not to mention the time and stress involved. Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks again.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    That's what I love about the ML, Tony. The air coming out of the vents is heated about 30 seconds after a cold start! Looks like the 3 valve technology (to heat up the engine faster for drastically reduced cold start emissions) is working :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    The favorite part for my wife on this near $40k, sophisticated vehicle is the stupid seat warmers. Gawd, every time I get in the Rex the warmer is set to high. I think she has thin blood in her derriere.
  • Options
    At least you get to get into yours. We've had our 2001 RX Nav for a week. How many times have I driven it? Just home from the dealership.

I've been subjected to drive my wife's (now my) '96 Accord...

-Craig
  • Options
    I get it Thursdays and Fridays only (and maybe some weekend time). Really a self imposed rule because I sleep better knowing my wife and son are in the Rex most of the time ;-)
  • Options
    My wife drives my son everywhere in the Rex now. It was a pain getting him in and out of the TL. We bumped his head a few too many times on the roof taking him out. The height of the Rex seems perfect. She being only 5'0", just hops in and out very easily. Me being 6'2", I still have headroom while I drove it that one time. The passenger seat doesn't go up/down unfortunately, so my head is barely below the sunroof. I guess that's the price we pay for a subwoofer under the passenger seat...

Getting him into and out of the Rex is SO much easier. And the ISOFIX latches are MUCH more accessable than they were in the TL. We can put in and take out his car seat in a matter of a minute. The TL had the ISOFIX bars stuffed into the bottom seat cushion, and were very difficult to unlatch.

I feel safer in the Rex than the TL for some reason. Maybe it's just the perception of being higher. Maybe it's the isolation from the outside world.

But in the end, the most important thing is that my wife loves her new toy.

-Craig
  • Options
    izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    This will be the first time I will be waxing my silver Rex. We bought Zymol Cleaner Wax in a blue bottle. Is it any good? Any tips on applying it?
  • Options
    Just curious...

I've read here that Lexus doesn't clearcoat the black paint on the Rex (and maybe other Lexus models) because it's "already shiney".

How about the Indigo Ink Pearl (dark blue)? That's what we got last week. Is that clearcoated? It feels real smooth, but that could just be wax or just the fact that it's a new paint job.

-Craig
  • Options
    What car seat do you use for the ISOFIX? Is it a baby seat or a toddler seat?

As to feeling safer, it's not just a feeling, it's a fact. The Rex is one of the safest vehicles in the world as proven by all the available data. The combination of the IIHS, NHSTA, CR, and the active/passive safety systems make it so. This was a huge decision in our purchase.
  • Options
    It's a baby seat. Fisher Price Safety Embrace II. He's almost 9 months, so it's still facing backwards. It's using the ISOFIX bars that are located at the bottom of the seat back.

After he's a year old, the seat turns around front facing, still uses those bars, and also will use the LATCH located on the backside of the seatback (visible looking from the hatch area).

The car seat seems VERY safe (knock on wood). Steel tubes surrounding it, styrofoam inside, etc.

Safety was a major concern for us as well. Although the MDX hasn't been tested yet, it's based on the Odyssey, which got 5 star everything. Our decision was down to it and the Rex. Of course we chose the Rex and haven't given it a second thought.

-Craig
  • Options
    Yea, I heard about the FP baby seat. That's the big problem nowadays: the cars are finally getting the ISOFIX latches, but the seat market hasn't caught up yet. Our son is 3 1/2, approaching 40 pounds, and we needed to get a toddler seat for the Rex to take care of him for a couple more years. The problem is we couldn't find a readily available toddler size seat with the latches.
  • Options
    silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    In October 2000, I purchased an extended warranty for my wife's 2001 rx300 AWD from www.1sourceautowarranty.com

The "Diamond Plan" covers everything (including the navigation system), except for maintenance and trim/cosmetic items. This plan also as many of the same features as a AAA membership (Towing, car rental, lockout,lodging and meals, and tire). I just re-read what was covered and got mad because the Lexus's tire got punctured on a curb and I paid for a new tire. I'll see if I can put in a claim even though it happened 3 months ago.

I choose the 7 years or 100,000 mile plan with zero deductible for $979.00

My concern when I was shopping for a extended warranty was where can I go and who will accept it. The answer was that you can go anywhere including Lexus dealerships, and this company uses a credit card to pay the dealerships. That was there is no mail or faxing of "Work orders". Lexus calls them up for pre-approvel, and they call back with their credit card number that Lexus charges all the parts and labor to.

To read more check these two topics. One is hosted by the company and one is someone with a warning about the company.

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/Web?50@@.ee93913/0

and

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/Web?50@@.eea5a77/42

If you decide to get a warranty because of me, tell them that a fellow customer VSA 102-004166 told you about it, if you want.