Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Yes, the sunroof is standard on the Silversport. Since RX is available without a sunroof (I have found only found one over the years, but enough to know I fit inside), I would suppose one could have a SS that way. Only possible problem I can think of is headliner material (is it the same as the non-SS interior?). And of course if I don't take the sunroof I don't want to pay for it!

I would certainly have to order the vehicle to get that configuration, and given its May I would want a MY2002. Any idea when dealer orders open for MY2002 and/or production start? Should we assume SS will continue for MY2002? Thanks.
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    The interior only comes in black your choice of Black or silver exterior. The SS only comes with one option package which costs $4040, total cost of the vehicle is $40,290. Go to the Lexus web site an configure the vehicle yourself. One thing I did not try was to unselect the option package altogether, this probably isn't feasible since Lexus wouldn't want to sell a stripped limited edition vehicle.
  • Options
    auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone have a picture of where they have mounted there cell phone or is everyone just carrying theirs? I am considering adding a Nokia Car Kit which includes the speakerphone, a cradle for the phone and a secondary corded phone. I need to have the 3 watts in some areas we travel so I need the kit. Has anyone installed this kit and if so where in the vehicle. Everywhere I look I feel like the phone will cause cramping of space.
  • Options
    grayzgrayz Member Posts: 3
    I'll try to make this fast so I can go back to driving it =) This is one of the better cars (notice how I dont say trucks) I have ever driven. Everything feels right, from handling to acceleration. Dont even get me started about how awesome it looks! I got the SS package with HID,spoiler,heated seats - same package as on Lexus web site. Interior on SS looks so much better than regular RX - aluminum trim really works better than plastic wood.
    I got a great deal too on my lease $465/month no-money down, taxes/fees up front. I really had a problem with dealers in NJ and Long Island on this one - one guy was down to $468/month and called back next day saying he made a mistake (liar...) and raised the price to $479. One salesperson from New Jersey said they were getting premium prices on SS models (yeh right! maybe on SC430 on on SS) I finally called Bayridge Lexus here in Brooklyn and they beat the best price I got - ask for Dennis Kang he was really good (for a car salesman...)Also for some reason window sticker had $1800 not $1500 off value package discount, anyone know if Lexus upped that?
    I have 2 minor cosmetic problems with SS RX300 - bumpers look realy fragile - I would hate to get front/rear guards for a leased car, but driving in Brooklyn I think I will need them (if anyone can recommend a place near Brooklyn that installs them). Another problem is the gold window tinting in the rear and rear site - what the hell was Lexus thinking?? This car is just begging for black tinting all around - anyone know if this can be done now? Anyway I'm going back driving.
  • Options
    malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Some time ago, I had a cell phone installed. Couple of things, the built in phone wires only apply to the Lexus phone. All after market cell phone require own wiring, hardware, etc. Also, there is a new product, called the PRO-FIT, which is a metal piece customized to the different vehicle, that fits between the radio and the wood panel, avoiding any holes and drilling. There is no interference with the passenger sitting or with the opening of the glove box. It does looks very professional with no damage to the vehicle. It costs about $30 for this metal piece. The phone antenna is installed on front windshild-passenger side, avoiding the mirror-like titanium tint on back windows, for better signals/frequency. Sorry, I don't have a picture

The whole installation, including profit, costs about $60-75 from a local cell phone dealer. The dealer can also install but quoted me $175. As you know, dealer phones +installation cost $$1200-1500. That's truely a waste of money. There are better options.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    ststephen0ststephen0 Member Posts: 37
    Rx300 DOES NOT have plastic wood interior trim...it is real walnut.
  • Options
    outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    IMO, the wood looks much better and of higher class than the brushed aluminum. I considered the SS, but the lack of wood forced me to get the better RX.

-Craig
  • Options
    rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    Based and comments in this forum I purchased a backup sensor unit from Autotoys.com; the three sensor mini 1T. It was relatively easy to install and, although I do not have much experience yet, it seems very accurate and worth the money. I ran the sensing unit wires from the umber into the spare tire wheel well and connected the power lines to the back up light wire that is next to the spare tire in a wiring bundle.
    I ordered the unit Wednesday morning and received it Thursday. Auto toys seems very efficient. If you ax in a copy of the I mail order they give a $5.00 discount..
  • Options
    swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    Guess who is the best luxury SUV. I think the LX should be number one too. Swiftm

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2001-05-17-jdpower.htm
  • Options
    ipaipa Member Posts: 2
    Hey grayz, I knew you'd get pounced on with the "anti-wood" remark. But, I am in your court. We had been looking at and comparing various suv's for 3 years, final contenders being the X5, ML320, and of course the RX. We did not care for the "wood" that most all high-enders wanted to smear all over their interiors, and then we went to the Detroit auto show. There we spied an RX with a different (improved) grill (our other previous hang-up on the RX) AND no wood on the interior. Needless to say, we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our Silver SS Nav which has been on order for way too long. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your new SS. Wood vs brushed Al is truely a matter of taste. It is THE improvement ( or "change" for all of those 99.9% previous Rex owners out there getting offended by these anti-wood comments)which swayed us to the Rex. The true top choice for us is the X5, but the wood combined with the much higher price was just more than we could justify at this time.
    Cheers!... to each and all for his (or her) own personal taste.
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    No surprise here, Lexus just knows how to do it right. Fit, finish, lowest defect rate and the best customer service.

Does Lexus screw up once in awhile? Absolutely, but they do it less often than the competition and that's what counts.
  • Options
    wwxwwx Member Posts: 3
    Could anybody buying a RX300 in Houston area give me some advice on price?
  • Options
    indytntindytnt Member Posts: 1
    Indianapolis, only one Lexus dealer in town, sold me a '01 RX for $3K under sticker. I got prices from several other dealers in the midwest (Chicago, Cincinnati, etc.) and my local guy matched the best deal I could find with minimal phone work.

Others I know in town have not done as well (as I said, we're a one dealer market). I think the key was getting Chicago price quotes, and convincing my dealer that I'd drive up there if necessary.

I still like driving my ES300 better, but if I have to drive a station wagon, ...
  • Options
    auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    I found the Pro-Fit Website and saw the picture and the directions for installing this holder for cell phones. It seems that this is the way to go. Is anyone else using something different than the Pro-Fit Cellular Holder? Also does anyone have the Nokia Car Kit with the "Privacy" handset (that's the corded phone) installed? If so where did you place this?
  • Options
    luckyghostluckyghost Member Posts: 2
    I bought my RX300 earlier this year and love it. But due to recent business changes I may have to sell. My question to the group is what price range and strategies would you recommend for getting the most for this virtually new silver beauty?

2001 RX 300
    retail sticker price
    40,601.00 (after 1,500.00 disc.)
    7,500 miles
    silver
    Premium Plus Package
    (no NAV)
    heated seats
    spoiler
    HID lamps
    wood and leather wheel
    cargo mat
    crossbars
    wheel locks

thanks,
    FWarren
    Frank@docdel.com
  • Options
    jboddujboddu Member Posts: 1
    Hi All

Anyone care to give me pointers as to what I should pay for a SS+Nav ?

-J
  • Options
    broderickwbroderickw Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone else feel that when running the air conditioner, the compressor makes quite a bit of noise? I've never owned a vehicle whose engine ran so quiet but the compressor seems so loud?
  • Options
    ghsughsu Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm in the market for '01 RX300, was wondering...
    1. Can anyone confirm if the spoiler now come as part of the Navagation package? Many websites such as CarsDirect does not seem to show the Spoiler as an "included" option after selecting the Nav Pkg, however, Lexus website seems to indicate that it is included.
    2. Is the cargo mat from Lexus just a carpet? Can anyone recommend a rubber or vinyl cargo mat from aftermarket vendors?
    3. Does the Edmund's TMV value include the Lexus dealer advertising fee?
    Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    mtweathermtweather Member Posts: 3
    I'm very close to deciding on the RX300 after two years of agonizing (M-Class, MDX, etc. ad naseum). Here's a question I have for anyone who might know. For my current vehicle I decided to go from cassette to mini disc media for my recorded music for the car and bought a home deck, many blank discs and a head unit which I have used for a year and a half now and love it. When I have inquired at Crutchfield and the local Lexus dealer, it seems that there is no way to replace the factory unit with a Sony (or other) Mini Disc head unit. Is that true? If so, do you know if a Mini Disc changer in the glove box would be able to integrate with the Lexus or Nakamichi head unit? I usually do this stuff myself and am competent in working with electronics, but I need an opinion here. I really hate to sacrifice my Mini Disc system on the altar of this great machine. TIA
  • Options
    finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I really can't hear mine. Sounds like a bad bearing or something like that.
  • Options
    I just happen to be in the middle of a major car audio upgrade (not for the Rex though) so I have some insights to offer. I took about some time to research your particular situation.

The current CD changer in the RX300 should be a Pioneer OEM unit. If this holds true, then it means that the changer operates on either the P-bus or IP-bus standard in terms of CD changer control. The problem here is that Pioneer does not make a Mini-Disc changer at this time. Strike one.

The other alternative, which many folks settle for, is to get a changer with a remote and use a FM modulator. This is the path of least resistance. Here you have many choices including MD changers from Clarion and Sony.

You might want to check with your local high-end auto-stereo shop to see if they have ever worked on a late model Lexus with the glove box CD changer. The only reason I say this is to verify the type of command bus the OEM changer is operating on. There are a number of of possible CD Changer protocol converters that can be used to interface to various aftermarket changers.

Good luck.
  • Options
    rx2000rx2000 Member Posts: 11
    mtweather

For Toyota Harrier (RX300 for Japan market), there is 6 discs MD option. This option is Toyota standard option. The unit is mount vertically in the right hand side storage bin in the trunk. Approx. 3 inches will stick out above the floor. The Harrier is per-wired for this option. When you have MD in the magazine it will override the normal cassette tape, otherwise the tape work normally.

If you want to see what it looks like, please go to see it at http://gazoo.com/egg/auto/. You should go to on-line catalog page 20.

Whether the RX300 is pre-wired or capable of adding MD or not who knows.

• Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    To view the installation instructions and illustration of the RX Pro-Fit International VSM (vehicle specific mount) visit:

http://www.pro-fit-int.com/Adobe/LX-70-99.pdf

Pete

• Options
    bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    What's the web site for the pro-fit cell phone mounts discussed above? I click the link referenced above but it was "not found". The site www.pro-fit-int.com is for clothing. Any ideas?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/ or

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/LX-70-99.pdf

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    apollo8apollo8 Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at '01 RX with "Luxury Package" + Nakamichi audio and rear spoiler. Can any fellow Canadians give me some ideas on Canadian prices that they have received. Edmunds unfortunately does not have Canadian pricing. I've looked at many candidates..ML320, QX4, MDX..keep coming back to the RX. Too bad HID is not available to Canadians..ARRRGGGGGG!..THanks.
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Apollo8, no help with Canadian pricing, but it seems odd that HID not available north of the border. Is it possible that there is some sort of legislative prohibition?? (I remember back in the late 70's when my Cibie quartz-halogens were illegal in the US because sealed beams were the law ((written back in the 40's, when they WERE the best things available)) of the land.
  • Options
    joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Does anyone out there know how many gallons I have left when the light goes on? Just curious as I'm letting it go to see. Thanks.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Nope, it's definitely not a legal issue. The X5's and ML55's here both have HID Xenon headlamps. It could very well be a cost cutting measure (possibly because of our weaker dollar), or because there is not enough of these units to go around. I'm personally more inclined to guess that it's the former rather than the latter.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    jmikerjmiker Member Posts: 21
    I have been shopping for an RX 300 and would like to get some opinions. I am located in Kentucky and the market seems to be higher here than other lcoations. Anyway, after looking around, I have received the following 2 offers I am considering. The first is dealer demo 2001 AWD with Premium Package Plus, HID, Heated Seats. It has 3,800 miles and the dealer has came down to $36,157 plus TTL. I have found another dealer willing to go $2,000 over invoice on any RX. The invoice on the demo is $35,157. I have concerns about purchasing a demo, since I don't know how the vehicle was treated during breakin and am leaning towards paying an extra $1,000 for the new vehicle.

I have been a lurker on this board for a long time and would appreciate any comments or opinions.
  • Options
    mtweathermtweather Member Posts: 3
    Thanks tonychrys and rx2000. Still looks bleak. Couldn't really get anything out of the gazoo website as it appears to be all in Japanese. Wasn't sure how to navigate to get where you were referring. Anybody else out there have any success in swapping the head unit (receiver/cassette) for a different unit, and/or replacing the glove box CD changer with an MD changer? Thanks again.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Try clicking on the "English Version" button; it takes a while to appear on the home screen.
  • Options
    silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    I used to work at at a dealership, and saw where the dealer demo's came from.

The general manager and top sells people get a perk of driving a new car home until a certain mileage is hit. The owner of the dealership also gave demo cars to people who gave him things (Football game tickets).

All of these people know that the car isn't theirs and that they will be turning it in within 6 months. I'll bet that they have the same mind set as people who rent cars. "Ouch, that was a big bump" or "I just took a few years off that transmission, but that's ok because it's a rental".

Not all of them drive that way. But for peace of mind, knowing that your car has been treated well by you is the decision to be made on new vs. dealer demo.
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Jmiker, only my opinion, but I'd spend the $1k extra. If you were to find a used RX elsewhere with 3800 miles, depreciation would account for more price drop than the $1k that the dealer is willing to knock off a demo (that has likely been, shall we say, aggresively driven as well as smoked in.....just can't get that odor out for quite a while).

While no one has too much money, $1k seems like a good investment to know that your vehicle won't be mistreated in it's breakin, won't be smoked in (unless you smoke) and will have been properly cared for.

I'd also continue to shop. Lots of suggestions back up the thread re such services as Carsdirect plus dealers may be more willing to drop prices if they know that you are ready to drive few hours for a better deal.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The internet can be a beautiful place for people like you. Try contacting dealers through the Lexus website, or have one of the internet companies do your shopping for you.
  • Options
    jmikerjmiker Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for all the opinions. I have decided against the demo model. I really wasn't high on it to begin with and the comments made here backed up my concerns.

Raybear - I agree, the Internet is a beautiful place for this sort of thing and this is how all this started. I was certain I wanted an RX, but wanted to see if I could obtain one, for the prices others have purchased on this board and sent email requests to all the dealers anywhere near me. So far, the best price I have received is $750 over invoice for any RX in stock from Sam Swope in Louisville, KY. They had 2 Silversports available for this price as well, not just the color I want (Silver).

I am still waiting to see if any other dealers will come in under that price.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Anyone know the answer to a previus post, once the fuel warning light comes on, how much more gas is in the vehicle?
  • Options
    swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    Four gallons. Swiftm
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    Last time (the only time) the low fuel light came on, I drove another ten miles and then stopped for petrol. I put in a shade over 16.5 gals. This is not rocket science and all vehicles are different. Plus, as you know, you can not trust anything you read on this forum anyway. It's an interesting topic.
  • Options
    Doesn't take rocket science to figure this out, but from my experience it's about 3 gallons, which matches Clee's experience. And I've done the low fuel test several times, which my wife hates.

But then again, you can't trust any information in this forum
  • Options
    megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    I dont know why osme of yall spend like $5k more just for a lexus when the Highlander is the exact same SUV. But i dont blame ya if its just because its a Lexus.
  • Options
    Yup, another rocket scientist. Gee, the fact the Highlander just came out in March never occured to him.

Edmunds is going downhill....
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I don't own either, in fact I've never owned a Toyota or a Lexus previously, so I think I can be totally objective in my observations. Earlier this year when shopping for a new vehicle I looked at each of them very closely, and I liked the RX MUCH better. I found it to be far more luxurious and the interior layout and quality of materials are clearly superior. No doubt the Highlander is well made as well, but it felt quite spartan by comparison. I did not drive the Highlander so I cannot comment on its handling, ride, etc. - I was looking for a little more luxury so I ruled it out on that basis. I can see where some might find it a more practical alternative if price is the main criteria, but for me it was easy to see why the parent company decided to go ahead with the Highlander - for observant buyers I don't think these two compete head-to-head.

(FYI - I ultimately decided to get away from the SUV thing this time around, and I bought an Audi allroad. So far I am very happy with it.) - Joel
  • Options
    devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    First off, I would hardly call them twins. I've driven both and will spend a little over 4k more for the RX basicaly because I can. If anything, the Highlander seems a little overpriced for their loaded model.
  • Options
    Let me quote Tonychrys about the RX300/Highlander comparison.

"No one can tell you what to get, you have to determine your own priorities or needs. The advantages of the RX over the HL:

RX more luxury (comfort and quiet) ride over the HL. You have to drive both back-to-back to feel the difference. You also have to make sure that each dealer has properly inflated the tires before the test drive.

Luxury features not available on the HL:
    Passenger side power seats.
    Driver seat memory.
    Auto down/up all windows.
    Remote open all windows and sunroof.
    Second row fold down arm rest.
    Navigation system.
    LCD vehicle information system (maintenance, etc.).
    Better grade of materials all around, real wood, etc.

Safety features not available on HL:
    High Intensity Discharge Lamps.
    Pinch protection on all windows and sunroof.
    Proven safety testing (though the HL should hopefully do well once tested).

Vehicle performance:
    RX has higher towing capacity standard.
    RX has almost 1/2 foot more ground clearance.
    RX has protective skid plates (has already saved my [non-permissible content removed] when running over road "debris" at high speeds).

Intangibles:
    RX has better warranty.
    Lexus Customer service is #1 in the business.
    Free Lexus loaner vehicles, even for an oil change, or they'll pick up and drop off the car.
    Good resale value.

If none of these things mean anything to you, then the HL is a better value in your situation. Also be aware that most features (including all safety systems) are standard on the RX, to fully load up a HL will bring it close to a RX price since Lexus dealers are discounting now.

Good luck with whatever you decide, both are fine vehicles."

Tonychrys, well said.

-Craig
  • Options
    Craig, one thing though: that "ground clearance" calculation I came up with was done during an early morning stupor. It should have read 1/2 inch, not foot. Which in the end is not really an advantage.

That guy megasuvowner was simply trolling the message boards last night, he posted in several SUV boards questioning everybody's choices.
  • Options
    Serves me right to quote someone else, huh? :)

The other points are very valid and well worth the $3k or so premium. Although we paid $40k for ours (loaded to the gills).

Sorry for the confusion...

-Craig
  • Options
    Define Luxury or what in your opinion makes a car luxurious.
  • Options
    ..a Grande Mocha Frappachino on a 90 degree day.
    Ahhhhhh!!!!!
  • Options
    I figured you for a cynical response like that. Do you really have a job. I think your probably independently wealthy(own a mansion and a yacht) Any others and please no definitions from Webster's.