Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    prooney1prooney1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering an RX300 in the next six months. I have always done my own maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations, etc.) My vehicles have always been Ford and a couple GM.

Are there any tricks to RX300? Filters easy to remove, etc? Must the dealer do routine maintenance to keep the warranty valid?

Thank You!
  • Options
    QuazimotoQuazimoto Member Posts: 15
    I change my own oil on my RX. It is a pain, you need to be part contortionist and have the right filter wrench (cap type.) The filter is in front, below the exhaust manifold. It gets HOT QUICK! You are virtually assured of burning your wrist/arm. If you have a lift, you can take off the plastic below and change it that way. Anyway, that is the only maintenance I have done.

The dealer does not have to do the maintenance, but keep your records. Also, if Jiffy Lube or other place does a bad job, it may invalidate your warranty. You have recourse against them, but I would stick with the Lexus dealer. Pricey, but good work and great organization backing them up.

You will not have much in the way of repairs, so paying for quality maintenance is a small price to pay, all things considered.
  • Options
    mokimanmokiman Member Posts: 3
    My wife & I plan to pick up HER new RX in a couple of weeks. I have heard of this 3M front chip guard which protects the paint, but is nearly invisable. The dealer quotes $275 for front only, (no mirrors or bumper).

Could anyone comment on their experience with this product and how it works in protecting the paint from road rocks, etc. Also keeping it clean, and any tendancies to come up/off.

Our RX will be white and a separate website commented that the guard is slightly more noticable on that color. Anyone with a white RX and this chip guard???? comments????

Thanks to all. This is a great forum!!!
  • Options
    redrob968redrob968 Member Posts: 2
    Just traded my GS400 for a new 2001 Lexus RX 300.
    Love the vehicle except for noises in the roof.Has anyone noticed in the front of the closed sunroof a tendency to hear wind sounds when radio is off? My Navigator doesn't do this nor did the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Also occasionally when the sun is out and car is hot and first driven I hear a clicking or popping like sound coming from the rear roof of the car. Car just has 800 miles on it so it hasn't yet been in for service. Any and all feedback would be welcomed. Thanks in advance for your reply and advice. RedRob
  • Options
    spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    These tires have been a hot topic on this page since I got my RX in november. I was resigned to swapping them out and even got a great quote from a local tire store who was willing to give me nearly 50 bucks a tire if I had upgraded in december. But I went up to utah and I couldn't get the car to skid or the tires to spin in the icy ski resort parking lots. I have since driven to and from the east cost (from AZ), I drive fast on the interstates generally set cruise at 10 mph over the limit. Which means I'm doing 80-85. I've done countless maneuvers at even higher speeds, up to 110 and have never encountered any skittish behavior that could be considered "tire based". Most cars I've had get a little unstable around 95. A phenomenon I refer to as "that losing contact with the pavement feeling", probably a combination of inferior aerodynamics and the contact patch of the tire getting smaller. This does not happen with the RX, at these high speeds, the car seems to hunker down (probably due to the superior aerodynamics of the car) and is as stable as can be. The Integritys are, as nearly everybody agrees, a quiet and comfortable tire, they also seem to be wearing quite nicely. The service manger at Scottsdale Lexus told me that "Lexus puts a lot of thought into tire selection". I remember smiling increduously at the time. It is interesting to note that Accura, also uses the Integritys(primarily) on the MDX. After 10,000 miles, and I've pushed my car harder than most, I would counsel against swapping tires. Don't get caught up in tire snobbery!
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I have no idea what "level" of wind noise you hear but I have two suggestions. One, even my 92 LS is somewhat quieter with the sun-shield pulled all the way forward so that is the same procedure I have used, by default, in the 2001 RX.

Two, you might experiment with the rear tilt-up position to see if you can find a quiet(er) position than the normally positioned one. When I first bought the LS I found the quietest position in this way and then adjusted the limit/stop mechanism for that "closed" position.

It also helps quite a bit if you keep the rubber seals well lubricated with some type of silicone "grease". I have a 78 911 Targa and even with new seals installed the grease helps cut down the wind noise.

The clicking noise is most likely the radio antenna extension motor "limit" being over-run. It's probably on the "feather-edge" and when the vehicle is hot it reaches the mechanical limit before the switch. My LS did that at first in the retraction mode until I pulled the whole assembly out and adjusted it.
  • Options
    2001 RX has VSC...

Now, first of all I have a pilot's license (Cessna 210) and I consider that my "butt" feel for loss of "traction" or "skidding" should be quite well developed.

Several years ago when I first drove an LS with VSC I was amazed that the VSC detected, and reacted, to "yawing" before my "butt" told me what was happening. Then about a year ago now I first drove a new 911 with PSM, same deal.

The only short-coming I can see about these new stability systems is that you almost have to be watching for the "active" indicator to come "on" in order to know that your "butt" has been "saved". THe indication time should be extended beyond the (mostly brief)period the system is active.

When I first bought my 2001 RX I went out and found a muddy country road and intentionally tried to bring the tail around. The VSC (braking) activity was so unobtrusive I felt that the system wasn't really working even though the indicator said it was active.

I have also seen articles in several magazines wherein experienced race drivers are turning in better times with these systems than without.

Being in electronic myself for all of my life I can well understand that a good sensitive accelerometer could detect yawing well before my "butt".

Now, why is it that these vehicles activate their ABS before detection of yaw from the VSC?
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    "It is interesting to note that Accura, also uses the Integritys(primarily) on the MDX."

Yea, but they put Mich CTs on the upgraded Touring package! What does that tell you?

Like I said previously, if the tires work for you that's all that matters. As far as Lexus putting "thought" into tire slection, then why do some identically equipped vehicles come with BS's and some with GY's ??? I don't call that methodical planning.

Too many folks have noticed a dramatic handling increase after switching to Michelins. So even if the GYs are not bad, let's just say the Mich's are superior and leave it at that ;-)
  • Options
    preinprein Member Posts: 1
    Hey All;
    First off, thanks for all the great info on the RX. I have bought Fords all my life and this is new territory for me.
    The lease on my wifes Explorer is ending and I have been busily looking for a new 2002 to replace the old one.
    Well, she comes home one day and asks if I have seen the Lexus SUV. I had never looked or even considered buying a Japanese vehicle. She pressed me and knowing about Edmunds, I started doing research.
    We called our local Lexus dealer, setup an appointment and drove off the lot with our new RX. What an awesome vehicle. It is so much more than an Explorer ever dreamed of being. The best part is that I got all that with only $50 a month more that an Explorer XLT with no options.
    I doubt Ford will ever get me back.
    Oh yes, I drove it home from the dealer, but haven't been able to get my wife out of the drivers set since.
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    spakchar, it's not so much that the GY are "bad" (the ones on my wife's 99 went about 31k and did extremely well in whatever weather we asked them to handle including the 2 region-disabling ice storms at Xmas and New Years here in Arkansas.

BUT: if you go back far enough (or wait around long enough) you'll read posts complaining about vehicles pulling with various fixes being tried at the dealers with variable success. My wife's car always pulled slightly to the right. Since it had gotten to be tire replacement time I lurked on this board for awhile to come up with likely candidates and deciced on Michelin CrossTerrains. Voila! Instant straight tracking, much more on center sensitivity (less than my GS430!), improved cornering, slightly less body roll (presumably due to less sidewall flex), much more aggressive and deep tread pattern (which presumably will have at least the tire life of the GY) but just as quiet with no discernable degradation in ride quality.

So, what's not to like? Well, the cost more than twice as much as the Goodyears but that's a problem only every couple of years. I just spent about 3 Michelins worth for a 4 Ball entry fee and it'll only last 4 days! The point here is simply that, in many cases (not just the tires), there are better alternatives to original equipment simply because manufacturers are generally building to a price rather than a standard. But the Goodyears are OK.......they had something like 28k and significantly less than 1/4" tread depth when they admirably handled our ice and snow. But there are better.
  • Options
    dmvlynndmvlynn Member Posts: 2
    hi i have been reading everyone discussions and have found them most helpful. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on price ? I was at a lexus dealer on Saturday and the sale manager told me he would give me a cap cost price on a rx lease of about $38000. he insisted this was a no haggle price and that the amount was right there at invoice and could not be any lower. the questions are is cap cost and invoice the same, and if so why does all my research say invoice on the rx am looking at come to $35000. am on long island and am looking at a rx w\o navigation but with prem plus,hid, heated seats and wood wheel. any comments?
  • Options
    jmikerjmiker Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone heard any news on the 2002 model? I know there is no significant changes planned, but was just curious as to the minor changes. One of my biggest questions is, will the Silversport continue to be offered as a 2002 model?

Also, when do the new models generally show up on the lots?

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    The capitalized cost price is the price you negotiate minus any money you put down (cap cost reduction).

$38K?? I live on Long Island also and I bought my AWD Nav RX for $38.5K back in late January. I bet I can guess your dealer (Massapequa?). Whoever the dealer is they are trying pull the wool over your eyes.

I can get your configuration for about $37.3K without even breaking a sweat (carsdriect.com). In fact, I wouldn't pay more than $37k flat if I was you. I even bet you could do $36.7 if you found a lot with your color choice just sitting there.

There are more than 5 dealers within a 45 minute drive within the LI area, they all want your business if you know how to haggle a little bit.
  • Options
    dmvlynndmvlynn Member Posts: 2
    well thats an eyeopener the sales manager insisted that at lexus when they tell u something its the truth (car salesman wonder where they get their reputation from) your guess is wrong though rallye
  • Options
    Rallye... oy! They blew my deal big time. I tried getting a quote over the Internet and all I got was automated responses promising someone would contact me. They finally contacted me... a month later.

Email me at RX300TC@yahoo.com if you want help and you're ready to buy. If not, then my advice is to walk into a dealer (do not tell them you are leasing), offer 37K flat and tell them to take it or leave it. I guarantee that if they have your model in stock they'll take it. Then work out the lease and money factor. Make sure they don't give you an outrageous interest rate.

Good luck.
  • Options
    apollo8apollo8 Member Posts: 9
    Is is possible to add HID headlights to an '01 RX. For some strange reason Here in Canada HID headlights are not offered on the RX. They are offered on almost all other models that Lexus sells..Go Figure...ARRRGGGG!! Can I order them for a US Dealer and have them installed and will it be a simple procedure or a complicated costly one??

This site is such a valuable resource...How did we manage before the internet???
  • Options
    silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    My wife's RX is white and I applied the clear bra in October of 2000. You can see the bra from 1-2 feet away, at 3 feet only the edge, and beyond 4 feet you can't see it at all. This is when your looking for it and when you know where the edges are.
    If someone doesn't know that it's there, chances are good that they won't notice it at any distance.
    I recommend the film for the mirrors and bumper along with the front. I installed it myself, but it took about 6 hours.
    I used www.xpel.com and another RX owner used www.stoneguard.com I like the way stone guard cuts the material. Check them both out.

I ran into my first problem with the bra. A corner of it has come loose. It took me about 20 min. to clean the exposed part and reapply it.

I also came across my first chip in the paint with the car having over 10,000 miles. It was on the fender in an area that the bra doesn't cover. I can't imagine how many chips the rest of the car would have had without the bra.

I wish this product was available when I bought my 95 mustang. The touch up paint helps but the front hood of my mustang looks like the craters in the moon.

Stone guard has a 3 year warranty and Xpel. has a 4 year warranty. 6 hours of work every 3-4 years to guaranty no paint chips in the covered areas sounds like a great deal.
  • Options
    izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    I posted a question last week about my suspension problems. Well, I just returned from the dealer having my front strut mounts replaced. Seems to have helped somewhat with the ride comfort and the thump sound. The dealer said that the "old style strut mounts have been known to cause problems" of the sort I was having. Apparently, the mounts they installed have a different design. And by the way, in my car the loss of comfort when going over bumps and pot holes was more pronounced than the thump sound.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comprensive reply on this subject. Very informative and encouraging!!!!
  • Options
    jasonwwjasonww Member Posts: 7
    Regarding RedRob's reference to the clicking sound with the sunroof open...

I bought my RX300 last week, and over the weekend I noticed the same thing happening. It occurred only while the sunroof was open, and it happened sporadically every few minutes. Because the frequency of the sound was unpredictible, and I happened to be occupied with driving at the time, I wasn't able to get in the back and pinpoint the source of the sound. But- I finally decided it sounded like it was coming from right behind my sunroof, in the center. I'd describe the sound as more of a "snap", sounding almost electrical in nature. I had to turn the sound system off for a few minutes just to confirm that it wasn't something I was hearing through the speakers. I think I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if the problem goes away before I go back to the dealer. I don't think the problem was with the radio antenna as had been suggested because I was listening to CD's the entire time.

That said, I'm very happy that I purchased this car. When the M-Class came out I was certain that was what I would be getting, but the quality and reliability of the RX300 won me over (among many other things, once I did the research). I feel like I reached a good price for this car. A couple of dealerships were hard to work with, and I walked. One of them reneged on a verbal agreement. I finally found what I wanted- 2WD/Premium Plus/HID/Wood & Leather/etc- for just under $35k (+ tax) at a dealership in Atlanta. In this market CarsDirect.com had it priced a little over $36k.

Any recommendations on what I need to be doing to keep this car looking as new as possible? I know the obvious- wash, wax, vacuum, leather/vinyl treatment- but I'm sure there's more I can do, short of having it detailed every month. Any products you'd recommend that have worked really well with your RX? Likewise any to avoid?
  • Options
    Lexol is interior treatment of choice. Many are fans of Zaino for waxing. Zaino'd my wife's '99 RX (which we carefully and properly handwash and have been keeping waxed with a carnuba product) and was STUNNED by the difference. Looks like it has been dipped in liquid glass. More info at their site: zainobros.com

May also want to frequent ClubLexus.com. Best Lexus site, lots of info, lots of helpful members.
  • Options
    malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Just took some picture of my RX with grill/side tubes, phone, fog lamps. How do I post them here.

Thanks
  • Options
    Izabelajohn,

I've complained about similar problems (at least the thumping noise) to my dealer. Unfortunately, they don't hear the sound nor have they had similar complaints in past. Can you give me your Lexus dealership info. I like to contact them regarding this issue.

Thanks
  • Options
    Unlike earlier Lexus vehicles the 2001 RX antenna extends with the CD only, something about radio incoming alert information.
  • Options
    C:\lexus phone.htm

This is what an aftermarket installed phone looks like using PRO-FIT plate. I put on the "Lexus" decal afterwards, to give it a custom look.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Instructions for embedding pictures can be found in the Town Hall help. Please also have a look at this post: KarenS "MB M-Class Owners: Photo Gallery" Jan 29, 2001 12:28pm

Please limit your image size about 640X480 to prevent the pictures from messing up the page width. Also, please post no more than 4 images in one messages so that other participants still using dial-up connections won't have to wait a long time to load this page just to read the new messages. If you wish to post more than 4 pictures, please post them in the M-class owner's club: Photo gallery discussion topic and then provide a link to your post in here. You can do that by copying the URL of your message (just right click on your message number and select "Copy Link") and then pasting it in the text box. The system will automatically transform it into a link to that message; see my post above for an example of this.

Finally posting copyrighted images is a no-no, so please watch out for that. You can however provide a URL to the image(s).

I hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    C:\lexus full view.htm
    C:\lexus grill-foglamps.htm

Some more pictures with WAAG brush guards, side tubes, and aftermarket lamps.
  • Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Man, want to feel even better about your decision to buy an RX? Check out the "BMW X5 Problems" section under Town Hall, SUVs. Wow!!
  • Options
    rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    I have purchased a number of products mentioned on this website and have been very happy.
    Thus., I would like to try the Zaino polish you recommended as I also like a shiny vehicle. Was it easy to apply and which products did you use?

Thank you.
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    May be you should, in favor of piece here in TH, re-post the above (#2030) with links to the Lexus owner's page instead of the ML area. Just imagine the possible implications... ;->>

Careful Tarik
  • Options
    malhokc, I believe there has been a TSB on the strut mounts (but haven't checked as I type this). My dealer is Parker Lexus, Little Rock, AR. One front and both rear mounts have been replaced, as well as rear struts.

rparis2, Zaino is very easy to both apply and remove; as with all wax, no sense in putting big wads on. Tho I have Z1, 2, 6, 7 and the clay bar, I've only used 7 (the soap) followed by Z1 & 2. There are very few of the microscratch/swirls on my wife's 99 due to the care that we take when washing, so no Z5. (And essentially none on the 01 GS, same reason.)

When I get a little more time, I intend to try another coat (Z6 then Z2 again), as much to see if I feel that there's a visible difference as for a (potentially) longer duration of protection. And I'll use the clay bar as needed only for spot treatment. But I'm a busy dad with 2 kids, wife and timeconsuming hobbies, so you'll never see a post from me beginning "Just put the 8th (10th, bazillionth, whatever) coat on.......". And I'm not criticizing those who do; just feel that you reach a point of diminishing returns fairly quickly. And my time is diminished enough as it is. But I do HIGHLY recommend Zaino's stuff, and if you do have the time to do more than I do, I'll look forward to reading your experience.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    It's a generic message that I use, but here's the link for the RX300 page with instructions for embedding images in the messages ;-)

KarenS "Lexus RX 300: Photo Gallery" Mar 1, 2001 8:06am

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone have any experience in removing dents and dings from companies similar to dent wizard. They Charge $90 per panel and will remove up to four dents. Does the process remove 100% of small dents? Is this price reasonable?
  • Options
    silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    I used a company out in Las Vegas approximately one year ago on my Mustang. They came out to my work and performed the repair in the parking lot.

The worker put up a mobile shop light that stands vertical so he can easily see the dent.
    He drills a hole into the panel in the area of the door jam. You can see where he drilled with the door open but not closed.
    He took a long metal rod, put it into the hole and started to massage the dent out.
    He pulls the rod out of the hole and plugs it with a piece of rubber so that no moisture will enter through the hole.
    He used a mallet with what looked like a dull wax chisel. He said that this is used to push back any spots that came out too far.
    I had the dent for over two years, and I watched him work on it. When he was done I couldn't find any indication where the dent had been.

We also used the same company "Dent Guys" to take out some door dents in my wife's pick up before we sold it.

I highly recommend that you get it done if there isn't any paint damage. I believe that people are more cautious with their car doors around cars that look perfect rather then ones with many dents in them.

Don't live the the dent, you'll wish you would have had it fixed long ago if you wait two years (like me).
  • Options
    izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    My dealer is Hoffman Lexus in East Hartford, Connecticut. After driving the car for a couple of days after the struts have been fixed, the thumping sound seems to be better but the comfort is not greatly improved. I think I will go back and have them check the back struts and mounts for any problems.
    There is a TSB on the strut mounts.
  • Options
    mooretorque, thanks for the info

Re the Dents, I agree with silly1040, if there's no damage to paint, get it done. $90 for upto 4 dents is pretty darn cheap. Here in the Chgoland, each dent removal can range from $50-75.
  • Options
    Thanks isabelajohn,
    I'm not familiar re: TSB, where do I find this info?
  • Options
    Technical Service Bulletins for your vehicle can be found here:

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/

Note that in order to get TSB details, you either have to pay for it or nicely ask your local tech print them out for you.

Hope this helps,

TC

• Options
    I can't seem to find the TSB on struts on neither alldata.com nor on the nhtsa website.

For about four months, I complained to my service department about an ongoing noise coming from the left rear. They first gave me the runaround, then felted certain areas, slightly re-shaped the exhaust routing (how do you do that, anyway?), accused the trailer hitch to be the culprit and so on. The last time they had the car (for one whole week!), they figured it had to be the left quarter window (well, who am I to question their expertise)! After its replacement, The noise was gone, but so where the low temperatures. During one recent cold spell (two days), the rattle came back, but I had no time to see the SA at the dealership to show him.

A defective strut could most definitely have caused the above noise, but it will be difficult to justify its replacement without the sound even being present right now.

I guess, I should at least let the dealer know that the window replacement (LOL) didn't solve the problem at all, to have a handle once temperatures will drop again (Nov-Dec).

Tarik
  • Options
    My 78 911 has a license plate that says TYRONZA, is that any place near you?
  • Options
    This is the TSB you should mention to them, but quite frankly, most good Lexus service centers know this problem without having to look it up. I believe this TSB mentions struts/strut housing.

SU002-99 DEC 99 FRONT SUSPENSION SUPPORT NOISE

Helpful TC
  • Options
    Thanks Tonychrys and Tarik. Your help is greatly appreciated!!
  • Options
    I appreciate your help.

Although the TSB you mentioned only covers the front struts, I wonder if the same is valid for the rear? As to "They should know...", I have printed out TSBs they had (alledgedly) never heard of before, so they say(go figure).

Still worth a try.

Now happier Tarik
  • Options
    Give 'em hell, be firm but fair Tarik.

I recently had to do this with my GM dealer who was claiming ignorance on a TSB regarding brakes. After giving them the "you know you'll never get anymore service business from me" look, three hours later I had a new set of rotors and pads. No charge.

Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    Tarik,

Let me know what happens. I may do the same.
  • Options
    Just to follow up from two of the previous posts re: strut mount repair. I called both, Hoffman, and Parker Dealership. This is what they had to say.

The Hoffman Lexus service dept states they have not had any complaints on this issue. However, they have replaced it on a 98 ES couple weeks ago. Izabelajohn, was your repair the car or RX.

Parker Lexus in AR also declined any strut complaints or work on RX 300. Mooretorque ?
  • Options
    wwest, Tyronza is about 35 miles from Memphis and about 2 hours from Little Rock. Quite small, too.

malhokc, that's quite interesting. Robin Berry is the service mgr and should be quite familiar with the struts on my wife's RX since he's also been the one to "write up" most of my/her visits. The fact that whoever you talked with is denying any problems with RX struts/mounts makes the cynical part of me suspicious. And that's a bit odd, since they have been quite up to Lexus standards as far as customer care is concerned.

If you care to call them again, feel free to mention that we have corresponded. My name is Thomas C. Moore and I'm the one with both 99 RX300 (wife's) and 01 GS430 (there are apparently several namesakes in their service record). Please post re their response.
  • Options
    Has any RX300 owner encountered the dreaded sludge problem that seems to have occurred for Sienna owners? Any details on this??
    Thanks
  • Options
    ahuiahui Member Posts: 15
    I have been trying to figure out what the "AF" button does on the radio screen in the lower right hand corner. My RX has the Nav system. I push it on and off and nothing seems to happen. Also getting really crappy radio reception, I don't live far from Chicago and have no radio reception problems in my other cars. Any ideas?
  • Options
    mooretorque.

That's very interesteing, because Robin is who I talked to in the service. I'll give him another buzz. Thanks for your help!!