Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    A shop in California sells chrome wheel well moldings for the RX advertised as for 1998- on eBay. Can anyone tell me if the RX body, especially the wheel wells have changed since the 1998 model? I was the highest bidder in a recent auction and for 19.95 plus 8.00 shipping for 4 new chrome moldings I'd like to get them IF they will fit. I will try to call Lexus parts tomorrow if I can't get an answer tonite.

Mark
  • Options
    tclubtclub Member Posts: 22
    I'm looking at a Silver Sport that stickers at $41,500. My local dealer will sell it for $38,200. I know there aren't many of these around. Any thoughts on the price?
  • Options
    arty101arty101 Member Posts: 2
    I've seen some comments about Weather Tech's plastic deflector and Xpels, but has anyone seen an actual Lexus Stone Deflector? I've ssen a Toyota deflector on the new Highlander, but am not sure if it will fit the RX. From looking a one parked in the lot, it looks like it is clamped into place with two rubber mounts, something that can be removed without much fess or damage to the paint if need be. Anyway, it also has a Toyota label on the driver's side.

Art
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    There was no 1998 RX. The 99 came out in about March, '98 if I recall correctly. I don't believe there has been any change in wheel well shape from 99 - 01.

Pete
  • Options
    gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    I am shopping for a Silversport and would like to know what equipment is included for $38,200, ie: Nav, heated seats, rear spoiler, HID headlamps, hitch receiver?
  • Options
    widmer1widmer1 Member Posts: 1
    According the Swiss Representative of Lexus, they will be NO CHANGE in the Modell 2002. I asked because I just ordered an RX 300.
    In fact, I do not trust realy trust him. I think they could be some minor changes.
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    Then does that information come under the heading of believe none of what you hear and only 50% of what you see?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    When the VSC is "triggered", it would be nice if the nav (gui) screen were used to tell me exactly what I had done, or what had happened incidentally, to cause its activation.

How do I know to correct my driving style, habits, if I never know that what, exactly, I did put the vehicle into the "twilight zone". And without knowing aren't I likely to simply begin to absentmindedly rely on the system which of course could eventually lead to disaster.

It seems to me that it might even be a good idea to dole out some sort of "punishment" to the driver, such as maybe 10 seconds of engine idle only performance, each time the VSC is triggered.

Without some sort of feedback telling me I have pushed the vehicle beyond my personal response limits then it seems to me that relying on the VSC to save my butt might become habitual.
  • Options
    gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    I have a Hollywood Bicycle Rack (800-747-4085) which fits into a 2" hitch receiver. The rack carries four bicycles and has two shock absorbers/pistons that allow for tilting the rack back to open the cargo door without removing the rack and bicycles. No bicycle wheel removal is required when using Hollywood or Yakima receiver racks which are Lexus quality.
    It is a shame that Lexus doesn't make a 2" hitch receiver and accessories standard equipment on all RX300s. Real SUV drivers/owners have hitch receivers, Soccer Moms do not.
  • Options
    gwarrengwarren Member Posts: 56
    Anyone here currently shopping for An RX 300 in South Fl area, Or has anyone recently purchased one?

Currently looking and seems like some dealers are truly anxious to sell. Looking for the NON Silversport without NAV and including the Premium Plus package.
    Prices have ranged from $34,000 -$36,000 ,for a lease of 39 months
  • Options
    ucsdsigucsdsig Member Posts: 10
    Since the Toyota Highlander (which is similar to the RX) has the same engine and horespower output as the RX, I would venture to guess that Lexus would increase the HP of the 2002 RX. It would make sense for Lexus to differentiate the two models. When testing a 2001 RX though, the Lexus salesperson denied any HP changes would occur.
  • Options
    I am not sure if this will help, but my sister just purchased a 2001 RX (AWD, Blue Vapor w/ black interior, Nav, wood steering wheel, basically all the goodies except for chrome wheels and gold kit) for $38,649. This came out to $800 over invoice. Then we got an additional $500 off d/t the lexus loyalty rebate. This salesperson said she'd basically go $800 over invoice for any RX w/ Nav, and $300 over for any non-nav RX.
  • Options
    Both the MDX and the HL have third row seats so I would suspect we will see the RX with a third row seat next year.

Differentiate the RX from the HL by horsepower? How do they differentiate the LX and the landcruiser today?

The MDX will be the "differential" target for the RX for some time to come. The MDX will get VSC, Trac and HID, and the RX will get another seat and maybe true AWD like the MDX.

Hmmm, true AWD, now that would really differentiate the RX from the HL....

If the MDX does get VSC, Trac and HID watch for the bottom to drop out of the RX market.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You've got that opposite actually. The Acura MDX's system is primarily FWD whereas the RX's and the Highlander's are running at about a 50/50 split at all times.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    When did the HL get a 3rd row seat?
  • Options
    Have to go and recheck on the MDX but I have the shop manual for the 2000 RX and the front axle is directly driven from the transmission. The rear wheels are driven "from" the front axle through the "static" or native viscosity of the viscous clutch, set-up is very much like the Chrysler MiniVan.

Torque split is 70/30 front to rear unless there is a differential rate of rotation between front and rear axles and that will cause the clutch's viscosity to increase delivering as much as 49%, NEVER over 50%, of the available torque to the rear axle.

That's the reason you will notice heavy torque steer on the RX if you get on it while turning, especially right turns.
  • Options
    Oops, HL doesn't have third row seat and the MDX IS primarily FWD.

In my defense the MDX automatically shifts 52% of the torque to the rear wheels under some operating circumstances, notably to prevent torque steer during quick starts.

I had a 2000 Rx and when the MDX came out I did a thorough comparison, bought the 2001 RX and then other than the RX having VSC, Trac, and HID, clearly forgot why.

The MDX has a mechanical clutch used to deliver 52% of the torque to the rear wheels and I found that to be much more desireable than my 2000 RX. But the availibility of 4-wheel Trac on the 2001 RX level the AWD "playing field" between the two and the RX won out.
  • Options
    kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Hello all,

I just recently picked up a pre-owned '99 that's AWD with the limited slip differential and this most recent thread has raised some questions from me.

Does the 50/50 or 70/30 split also apply to the '99 version?

Does the limited slip differential in the rear change the split in any way?

Am I to understand that even in normal conditions that there is some power being applied to the rear wheels?

Lastly, are there additional maintenance concerns that need to be addressed or made aware to service technicians? Also, what mileage points should the AWD be looked at or maintenanced?

Appreciate any help.
  • Options
    ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    Can anyone tell me if they've been successful with installing aftermarket DVD navigation in their RX? Also, someone asked if anyone knew when Lexus would be selling the DVD as an accessory from the dealer.
    I'm curious as well.

I'd also like to add to the person describing torque and how it can relate to making a right turn...Thank You! You (kinda) answered something I've been curious about for a while. There's this one right turn I make, and it always feels like I get incredible torque out of my engine at this one stretch of the road! I've felt it it the different cars I've driven. I will soon be feeling it when I take delivery of my soon-to-be friend, the RX. :)
  • Options
    caveman4caveman4 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have an opinion on how well the RX handles deep snow?
  • Options
    izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    In my opinion RX handles deep snow very well. I was stuck in a bad snow storm last winter (stuck because of traffic) and the RX did extremely well. Started from a complete stop halfway up a steep snow covered hill and went straight up. I also tried going through a snow bank more than a foot deep in front of our garage one winter morning (live in a condo and don't own a shovel and the ploughing crew didn't show up). RX went through it like a dream - sort of like one of those commercials for JGC.
  • Options
    donquil1donquil1 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own an '01 RX300. I had a DVD player and TV monitor w/tuner installed in my RX as an option. I never knew they had one until I asked the dealer if Lexus had any DVD options available and they had a Video Package option available. That package included a DVD player and TV monitor w/tuner. That option cost me around $900. I've had friends who've installed aftermarket DVD players on their RX and all have been successful. Panasonic makes a DVD player small enough to mount in the glove box compartment (if you don't have the CD changer there). You can then get aftermarket TV monitors by Sony or any other brand and you could have them installed on the headrests or the visor of your RX. If you want more info on TV monitors and DVD players being added to the RX's, just e-mail me at donquil@us.ibm.com
  • Options
    APerumbetiAPerumbeti Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know when the RX300 is up for a redesign or a major update? Are there any known changes for the 2002 model year. I can't seem to find info on the web.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I had a 2000 AWD for about a year and now a 2001 AWD with Trac since late 2000 and have not yet encountered any "hairy" wintertime conditions with either. So with regards to the Rx I don't know the actual answer, but....

I owned an 87 Jeep and then a 92 until I bought the 2000 RX.

There is deep snow and then there is DEEP SNOW.

Both Jeeps had TRUE full time AWD in that the transmission output drove the input for "two" viscous clutches, one to drive the rear axle and one to drive the front axle. Obviously full engine torque could be delivered to either axle with this arrangement.

I was still an avid skier when we had the 87 and there were many times when no only did the AWD not do the job, I had to switch to 4WD and install chains to climb a mountain pass to the ski area, Mount Bachelor for one.

With the 92 I only had one occassion like the above, in 95 we had snow, melted, froze, snow, melted, froze, etc, until it was up to the axles of the Jeep. Chains on all four wheels and 4WD was the only thing that moved me the 100yds down my level gravel driveway to the plowed street.

So, if you're talking dry powder snow with no ice underlayment then I'm sure the RX will do fine. But here in the mountainous regions near and in Seattle we often must deal with what is called pacific boilerplate and thus there will always be a set of chains in my RX when travelled in the wintertime.
  • Options
    The RX has used the same AWD setup from the beginning so yes, the 99 RX will always deliver some of the engine torque to the rear wheels and the only thing limited slip adds is the ability to deliver whatever torque is made available to the rear axle to the rear wheel with the most traction.

And Drew:

I have noticed that the Canadian LS has an electrically heated windshield while the US version does not. Since you say the RX torque split is 50/50 that leads me to wonder if Canada gets a different AWD setup than the US?

Viscous clutch maintenance issues: In the manual it appears to be a sealed unit and I have found nothing in the manual implying it can be repaired in the field.

The Porsche manual for their viscous clutch AWD very clearly states certain circumstances in which the clutch can sustain permanent damage in as little as 20 seconds of uncorrectable differential front to rear axle speeds.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Donquil. I was looking for a DVD that will work in the existing screen in the dash, not necessarily one with a mounted monitor. Where is the DVD installed for the Nav system, do you know?

The model I'm getting has the 6CD changer mounted in the glove box. From what I read in your post, it sounds like that would negate using the mounted type of Nav system?
  • Options
    I want to find a Silversport with rear spoiler and navigation. Are they manufacturing the Silversport with Nav without the extra, more expensive add ons like the headlamps and heated seats? I can handle the cargo mats and such, but I have no use for heated seats and HID headlamps. My gut is telling me they are only manufacturing the Navs with the extra, more expensive goodies built in. Does anyone have any helpful feedback? TIA.
  • Options
    ritzpmacritzpmac Member Posts: 2
    My new 2k1 rx 300 doesn't start when left out in the sun for a few hours. It always does this. i was wondering if this ever happened to anyone else. If so, how did you get it resolved.
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    The Lexus installed NAV DVD is mounted in the cargo compartment under the floor, right outboard side, under the lift out tray. I have never seen a RX with NAV that was not part of the NAV package, which includes all the other stuff, like heated seats and HID. They are both nice to have IMHO.
  • Options
    Now you've got me confused, LOL. Every magazine that I have read (include Edmunds' own reviews) since the Lexus has made its debut has mentioned that the RX, and now the Highlander both have similar AWD systems and torque split ratios of 50/50. However, your shop manual states otherwise! I wonder if there is a mistake in the marketing/press materials? Since everyone uses the same press material, perhaps this is why the mistakes were widespread?

I doubt that Canadian RX's get different AWD torque split ratios. That would've be cost effective, I think. Any thoughts on this? BTW, does your shop manual only cover the '01 model year, or RX's prior to that too?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    aslawaslaw Member Posts: 4
    This message is for ucsdsig (or anyone else who can provide pricing information.) Can you post what state, dealer, etc. that is prepared to quote a price $300 over invoice for a non-Nav RX 300? I live in the Baltimore-Washington area and the best price I've been able to find is $37,324 for a Silver Sport SE and $37,700 for a "regular" AW RX 300 and includes the premium package plus, crossbars, heated front seats, high intensity head lamps, spoiler, cargo net, cargo mat, leather steering wheel and wheel locks.

I'd appreciate any information on dealers that are willing to quote a lower price.

Thanks.
  • Options
    garyk211garyk211 Member Posts: 7
    Selling 01 with nav. 13000 miles silver. Northern Calif
  • Options
    outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    I'd like more info about this before I call up my dealer.

Can this be installed at a Lexus dealership? If so, what does it include? Where do they mount the LCD screen?

Any info is greatly appreciated...

-Craig
  • Options
    The dealership was in Thousand Oaks, CA. I had tried to get the RX from Kearny Mesa Lexus in San Diego (where I purchased my '99 GS 300) but on a 2001 AWD RX w/ nav, they only offered a $2500 discount. On non-nav systems, they offered a $3500 discount. The deal offered by Thousand Oaks was substantially better. We went in to that dealership with numbers from Carsdirect.com, which priced the RX (w or w/out NAV at invoice).
    As my earlier post stated, the dealer first offered $1000 over invoice for any NAV RX, and $500 over for any non-NAV. After showing them the carsdirect price, they offered to take off another $200. They seemed to be a really aggressive dealership, so getting a good price shouldn't be difficult. Just tell them you're also considering a MDX, ML, or X5...there's too much competition for them not to deal.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on this dealer. *Very* coincidentally (lucky me!), I am in the market for an RX300 and TOL is on my list of dealers to contact. I've been dealing with Lexus of Valencia and just today, they basically insulted me with their trade-in offer (and *still* wanted over $1000 over invoice for it.) After reading your post, I see there's a trip to TO in my future....

It's hard to believe they didn't want to accept my offer, it being the month's/fiscal quarter end, and all. Perhaps their volume has been high...
  • Options
    enjetienjeti Member Posts: 25
    I would like to know if any has purchased an RX300 recently w/ Premium Plus Package in Chicago/St. Louis/Kansas City area and how much they had to pay for it. Thanks.
  • Options
    Glad the post helped. Our salesperson (named Ella) was very persistent and anxious to sell the car, but very good. You may want to speak to her to get the same deal. Additionally, the price they offered for our trade-in was very surprising, as it was near full blue book value! Best of luck.
  • Options
    I must say, I was taken aback at the same strategies used at many dealers being used by Lexus. When he quoted me $1500 under blue book for my car, I was very surprised and disappointed that Lexus would play the typical mind games. He kept trying to convince me that the fact the RAV4 has been restyled hurts the saleability of my '99 model. He also used incorrect information to arrive at the trade in price. When he showed me the computer screen, I had to adjust various inputs he did incorrectly to (amazingly) arrive at a lower trade in value. I also questioned why KelleyBlueBook didn't reflect the 'harmful' body restyle in their pricing of my trade in. He couldn't answer me.

In retrospect with a night of sleep, he prolly did me a favor as my vehicle is worth just a tad more than the $l4,000 he quoted me. We sunk some bucks into making this RAV look awesome (added one of a kind chromes and aftermarket leather) and I'm not about to let this guy steal my car from me. They had another generic RAV on the lot--no fancy trims or anything and their sticker was over $20K. Yet he sat inside and told me he wasn't going to be able to sell my car for more than $l6,000. So, either he's telling me to offer $4k less on any sticker they have, or he wants to steal my car and then sell it and look good because his profit is so high.

Problem is, we're going to sell our own car, go in and demand the exact same pricing for the new car with no chance for them to make money on my existing car. They just shot themselves in the foot and it's going to cost them a couple grand in profit because of it.

Again, thanks for posting that info. The coinkydink was truly remarkable as I had *just* gotten home from the dealer and pulled up this list and the only new posting was yours talking about your deal at TO Lexus.
    I believe in "meant to be's" and this sure seems like one...
  • Options
    suvfan4suvfan4 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at all types of SUV's and on the road I have noticed the RX. What stands out is the glass, how it looks colored. Does anyone know whether this is a standard feature or if it's part of a special package when you order an RX? If anyone has any info on the colored glass please share!
  • Options
    APerumbetiAPerumbeti Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know about future updates for the RX, especially for next year???
  • Options
    jfetterjfetter Member Posts: 29
    The green tint is standard on all RX-300's as is the water-repellant driver and passenger front windows which shed water and simply do not let it "bead". I too was originally drawn to the tint color but found many more reasons (what honey, the tint isn't a good enough reason?) to purchase one in the end.

Jack
  • Options
    spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    I'm ready for my 15000 mile service and my Lexus dealer quoted me a price of $675. I then called a Toyota dealer and they said they'd do the same service for $230! They told me I would not run into any warranty problems by using toyota, and it is the IDENTICAL SERVICE SCHEME. So far my rx has been perfect, absolutely zero problems. What do you suggest I do. I'm tempted to call my service rep at Lexus and try to negotiate their price down. At lexus I would get a free loaner and a nicer waiting room, with a better class of people (a joke). But the toyota folk say It'll only take 2.5 hours. BTW, they told me the only difference is the RX uses a different fluid (than the highlander) somewhere in the 4wd system.
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    $675 to me is too much. Is the different fluid the cooling fluid? I noticed on my RX300 that it is kind of red, not typically greenish. A nicer waiting room plus a free rental still isn't worth that much extra. If me, I'd make sure service by Toyota will not void the Lexus warranty, then go to Toyota.
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    $675 to me is too much. Is the different fluid the cooling fluid? I noticed on my RX300 that it is kind of red, not typically greenish. A nicer waiting room plus a free rental still isn't worth that much extra. If me, I'd make sure service by Toyota will not void the Lexus warranty, then go to Toyota.
    Many [non-permissible content removed]'s cars are very reliable. I skipped quite a few times of routine services on my 94 Altima and 96 Maxima, still zero problem, virtually no repair so far.
  • Options
  • Options
    I had a ravelation the other day about the tinting on the windows of the RX. For the longest time, I would 'see' the tinting and it looked spotty, or bubbly. It was such a turnoff to me to see the tint look that way. Here's the ravelation...it wasn't the tint--it was my polarized sunglasses! When I removed my shades, the tint looked as it should. I never considered that it was a blocking mechanism in my shades that was causing the tinting to look cheap.

Just thought some other readers have been wrestling with this and didn't know why the tint looked like a bad job. Take off your sunglasses and you'll see the windows in a whole new light!
  • Options
    parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    I've been taking my '01 RX to a Toyota dealership ever sine I got it - I just can't justify the high prices Lexus charges.

I know people say you shouldn't own the Lexus if you can't afford the maintenance. This is not the case, though - regardless of how much money I have, I'm not looking to squander it.

Just be sure to keep documentation of the service at Toyota should a warranty issue come up since the service performed won't be in the computer system of your Lexus dealer.
  • Options
    2001rx2001rx Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 AWD RX300 and had been wondering what the actual details are about traction and stability control. The Owner's Manual and the 2001 Brochure do not give complete information on how these systems function. A Lexus newsletter which came in the mail shed some light on this subject:

Excerpt from LexusOwners.com:

"... The RX 300 gets the Lexus Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) system for the 2001 model year. This computer-controlled system replaces the mechanical limited-slip center differential on four-wheel-drive models. Besides saving more than 50 pounds of the performance-robbing weight of the differential, VSC improves traction and cornering grip by monitoring speed, yaw rate and steering angle, selectively applying one or more brakes, and automatically reducing the throttle to keep the RX300 on its intended course. This sophisticated technology is also included on front-wheel-drive models, and is distinguished by a subtle badge on the lower cladding, just behind the front-wheel opening."

Therefore, I suspect that the discussions on the center viscous coupling differential apply only to RXs earlier than 2001, and a statement that AWD on all RXs since the beginning is the same is not correct.
  • Options
    milousmilous Member Posts: 39
    Gasp, $675 is more than outrageous, especially for a "15,000 mile" service. Geez, what could a vehicle with 15k miles on it possibly need besides a regular oil change and tire rotation?

My guess is that they spend less than 1 hour doing whatever "servicing" they claim to do, and that of the $675 that about $600 is pure profit. A total scam in my opinion.

It used to be the 30k "service" was where they gotcha but now the intervals are getting shorter. What's next, a "5000 Mile Service" for $400??
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    you can get your lexus oil changes at toyota, why not the others. call customer service and find out.