Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Suzuki Grand Vitara vs Subaru Forester vs Hyundai Santa Fe vs Jeep Liberty vs Ford Escape vs Saturn

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The new one looks impressive, especially with the new, potent V6. The only thing I worry about is price. It's going to end up taking over the Highlander's slot, and the HL will move up when it's redesigned.

-juice
  • Options
    losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    Our Outback and Imprezza Sport both are running about 28-30 MPG mostly highway miles. I would expect the Forester to get about the same. Much better than the QX4 it would replace that gets 16-18.
  • Options
    Foreser is a little heavier and not as aerodynamic as its smaller cousins, but it should come close. I think you'll get around 26-28mpg in the same driving.

-juice
  • Options
    manifoldmanifold Member Posts: 57
    I'd definitely recommend the Grand Vitara. It might feel like a truck because it is. Or rather it's built with unibody/ladder frame for rigidity because it has solid offroad capabilities which the other crossovers dont. I just bought one and it drives really nice - smooth, quiet and steady. Drive it on the freeway and see what I mean. It has all the safety features included (eps, front,side airbags, abs etc). As mentioned, the interior is the cleanest and nicest around. All of that for a LOW price and a great warranty. The MPG is because the engine is V6 and you have more HP.

Sorry for sounding like a salesman (Im not) but check out at the many media reviews on the web and they give the car a thumbs up.

It's also a handsome sporty looking car/truck!

• Options
    The V6 isn't really that powerful, they should have been able to get 200hp out of it.

Any how, I like the direction they went in. The old one was too narrow, this looks sleeker. I even like how the hood has that little gap in it near the A-pillar like the first gen.

Plus it's one of the few here to offer a low range.

-juice
  • Options
    Enjoy the truck. It is a beauty.

I am looking for something that is not truck like. I am seldom off road.
    :)
    99% positive I am going with the Forester. I put lots of miles on car and need good MPG.

Wish Subaru included the same warranty as Hyundai and Suzuki. But the dealer is giving us an excellent price on the extended one.

One of the biggest negatives for me was the lack of GV dealers in the area and the one nearby was sooooooo sleazy. :(
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I suspect the current 2.7L V6 is just a stop-gap engine. It's been widely reported that Suzuki has a new 3.5L V6 in the works. I believe it will be introduced next year when Suzuki debuts the larger 7-passenger version of the GV.

Will it again be called the XL-7? I have no idea.

Bob
  • Options
    Sounds good, but I'd like to see better specific output, i.e. good HP ratings for the engine's displacement. The bigger engine might also be heavier.

-juice
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
  • Options
    The Subies are great cars. I was actually considering that as well but wanted a truck/suv for a change. Been driving sedans all my life and wanted something different. Though the Forrester is considered in the suv class as well I believe. Dealer I dealt with wasnt too bad. I told em I was deciding between the Liberty and the GV so they had to really convince me to go with their product. I got a great deal at the end. ;)
  • Options
    I didnt find the engine undrerpowered at all. Plenty of get up and go and have never had to floor it to accelerate quickly. The little gap are actually vents that help keep the engine cool.

With regards to the lo range they've had those in their past "mini suv" vehicles (Samurais, SJ410, Jimny etc) I believe. Suzuki actually has a bit of history on offroad capability and prowess. They may not be as visible as other suvs, but they can roam where the Land Cruisers, Jeeps or Rovers play.

• Options
    I'm aware of their 4x4 heritage, what impressed me was that they moved the new GV to a unibody hybrid frame but still kept the low range as a feature.

I'd expect most manufacturers to drop the low range once they try to make the vehicle car-like.

-juice
  • Options
    I'm not surprised at the unibody hybrid frame, as Jeep has been using that set up since the first Cherokee debuted back around 1984. Others are now using it too.

Bob
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    There's so many car-like SUVs that the GV needs to have something to separate itself from the rest. It's great that someone besides Jeep is trying to make off-roaders to have nice road manners. There's definitely a market out there for them.
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more. :)

Bob
  • Options
    They've always had a huge market outside the US. The web is full of suzuki offroad clubs/owner sites from the Neatherlands, Holland, UK, Sweden, Asia etc etc. I think people buy them for their ruggedness as opposed to folks who look to the Liberty as a nice commute car. I live in MD and I see as many Libertys as I do CRVs and RAV4s but rarely see a suki.

In the US, they only really have a small cult like following kinda like Mac folks. Though accdg to the suki website, sales of the new GV has really taken off.

• Options
    Does that say Jimny?

-juice
  • Options
    inajoonginajoong Member Posts: 46
    If you've had such good expreinces with the SantaFe, why not stick with it. With the new design coming up it looks like a winner.
  • Options
    Got any spy pics?

I like the current SF, even though it's a bit too "pikachu" for me in terms of styling. Plus it's not very space efficient.

I prefer the Tucson, same size inside, smaller outside. It's more space efficient.

-juice
  • Options
    Dozen of pics in the 2007 SF forum! And no, the Tucson is not the same size inside. The passenger room is the same, or better, but the cargo area is smaller on the Tucson.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

If Hyundai can improve the efficiency of the V6, like they did with the Sonata, they'll realy have something...

-juice
  • Options
    Yes it does. It's a suki jimny. I was referring to all their suvs/trucks besides the new GV and I thought the pic illustrated the point about suki vehicles having a cult following.
  • Options
    Looks pretty good. I like the cat's eye headlamps, and the big center grille and rear "shoulders" remind me of a Tribeca, only toned down a lot.

It still looks a bit small for a 3 row SUV, but the RAV4 is doing the same thing. Seems like they're moving it up to a mid-size and letting the Tucson/Sportage remain in this segment.

If the powertrain is upgraded like the Sonata's was, they'll have a winner.

-juice
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    That's my former Corrado in the background!
    -ss4
  • Options
    After my long Sunday night musing....ended up where I thought I would. Why? In the long run the Forester seemed "just right" for my needs..size, MPG, dealer experience, AWD in snow and ice, and my preference for the look of the vehicle. Add to the equation-fully dog proof back area, sun roof, price, and fun to drive. (How can a small boost in power from 2004 pep up the Forester as much as it seems?). The MPG was a big factor against several of the vehicles that I considered. I have about 350 miles on it and so far am very, very pleased. :)
  • Options
    Congrats. I'm still happy with mine 8+ years later.

Another thing you didn't list - best-in-class crash tests scores from both IIHS and NHTSA. Plus the lowest damage in the class for the IIHS bumper basher.

-juice
  • Options
    Tons of new pictures of the 2007 Santa Fe on their board.

Looks like a winner to me!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Looks good, let's see a compact SUV 3-row comparo, RAV4 vs. SF.

-juice
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    new Escape in 2008. Maybe called the Equator. Showed up in the Taiwan auto show.. do a search on Equator...
    Also, I know its not a scientific poll.. But I sure am seeing a whole lot of new Equinox and Saturn Vue in my area..
  • Options
    Saw that in some rags. It was basically just a face-lifted Escape. Didn't really come off as being "new".

-juice
  • Options
    In the MotorWeek segment, they said it was "all new". New engine choices, transmission choices, safety features ect. Even said the 3.5 V6 may make it into this vehicle. The vehicle looked more than just a face lift. It was slightly larger they claimed.
    Anyhoo.. As I searched the net the Equator does pop up. This is the first mention of any sort of replacement for the Escape I have been able to find.
  • Options
    In no way am I putting down Subaru's 4WD system. Recently we had some icy conditions in my area. Everyone was driving slowly, except for a guy in a Forester. He must have thought he was immune to icy conditions. He was moving pretty fast. I was witness to this vehicle spinning out of control and ending up in a deep ditch. I pulled over and helped the guy out, along with about 3 other people. His nice new silver Forester was wrecked. My guess it was about an 04/05. I can see why people get over confident with the commercial Subaru puts out. We all must remember 4WD/AWD whatever, with ice it DOES NOT matter.. Cheers... :)
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I've seen all types of vehicles in ditchs and telephone poles over the many last seasons snows and ice. It is true that some people lose their head AWD=invincible. It is also true a lot of FWD do the same thing. People who try drive on ice (independent of the drivetrain) as if they are driving on dry payment are idiots anyway. We have to hope they don't kill us.
  • Options
    The driver is always the key factor, more so than the type of vehicle. You can't break the laws of physics.

He would have wrecked in an Escape/Santa Fe/CR-V/RAV4, too.

-juice
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can't break the laws of physics.

Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

tidester, host
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,324
    re: small suv 3rd row comparo.
    the 3rd row in larger suv's(highlander, commander) are a joke. don't insult us(edmunds).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    You listed some of the smaller ones. The LR3 is quite comfy for adults, as is the Excursion.

Highlander is a mid-size, and on the small end of the mid-size segment at that.

-juice
  • Options
    teix... your original post referenced compact suv's(rav and sante specifically). :confuse:
  • Options
    Well, I said compact, but you said mid-size. I guess they've grown so it's not quite clear what size they are now.

The 3rd rows on those are for kids. I have a 3 year old and some times I co-op at his pre-school. We go on field trips and if I drive I often take 3 extra tots with me, little ones that would fit just fine in a RAV4 or SF's 3rd row.

Even my 6 year would fit. Probably at least until she's a teenager, and by then I'd be trading for a different vehicle anyway.

-juice
  • Options
    They would fit but would they be safe? The 3rd seat back is right in the hatch of these vehicles. In a rear end collision, they would not be safe back there.
  • Options
    my 10 year old gave me some serious grief when i asked her to get in the 3rd row of the highlander.
  • Options
    Depends on which one, I guess. Kids should be in boosters and the head rest should be up, but I know what you mean, the glass is usually just a couple of inches away from the 3rd row headrests.

Still, you don't get hit up that high, and there is plenty of space between them and the bumpers. I'm sure they are designed to absorb the impacts and divert the engery away from occupants.

While crush space is nice, having less does not make a car unsafe. The Smart ForTwo has tiny crumple zones yet does remarkably well in crash tests. I saw a video of a high speed crash into a concrete barrier and the cabin was still completely intact.

IIHS is evaluating head rests (Subaru does extremely well, by the way, well ahead of Honda or Toyota), but I don't think they're doing full crash testing at the back of the vehicle yet.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    Very impressive Juice, thanks for the link.
  • Options
    hickey86hickey86 Member Posts: 5
    I just had a Forester and switched to an Escape. Forester was a great car no doubt. But the Escape has good features in that it's American = good deal. It also comes with lots of features, like a V6, (which I love hearing at high revs). Reliability could be an issue in the future but thats the beauty of a lease. I did love my forester though. It definitely handles better than any other small suv out there.
  • Options
    hickey86hickey86 Member Posts: 5
    forget it I just realized I replied to a post form nov28, 2000. It kinda doesn't apply anymore.
  • Options
    That's OK, stick around because I think you could provide good input as this thread goes on.

-juice
  • Options
    You made a fine choice with the Escape. Don't let the constant drum beating of Ford=unreliable get to you. For one, visit MSN auto web site and check the Escape reliability data. It will surprise you. I own an 01 Escape 4x4 V6 XLT and it now has about 70,000 trouble free miles on the vehicle. My wife owns an 04 Tribute ES V6 4x4 and it now has about 20,000 trouble free miles on it. Get out on the net visit other rooms and you will find many other Escapes/Tributes with high mileage, happy customers. I would give links but its not allowed here at Edmunds.
    Just keep your Escape properly maintained and it will give you many years of good, reliable transportation. ;)
  • Options
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/01/07/206865.html

October (145%) and November (241%) GV sales also way up. The public has obviously taken to the new GV, and to all the new Suzukis. Good show Suzuki! :)

Bob