Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Definatly do not exceed 50 MPH (80 KPH) in 4HI. Also, do not use except on loose surfaces (gravel or ice/snow covered pavement). As for Auto 4WD, when I first got my 2001 LE I used Auto most of the time, including on the highway at 120+ kph with no problems. When I started to get upset over the "lurch" this Auto mode causes when shuting off the engine (and when idling), I switched to using 2WD unless I was in slippery conditions, and now use 2WD whenever possible, as the mileage is better and there is no lurch. BTW, I don't consider rain "slippery conditions", but this wonderful powerplant can sure spin up the rear tires taking off at intersections in the wet! As for exceeding 60 MPH in Auto - with the above "rules" I follow, exceeding 60 MPH in slippery conditions would normally be considered inappropriate anyway, so it isn't an issue.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Anyone else seen the new 4WD (AWD?) on the Infiniti site? Looks like an AWD wagon (car?). I suppose there is not enough difference between the QX4 and Pathfinder. You'll find a short description in the "future vehicles" section on their site. I haven't checked on this sites' Future Vehicles area yet (just thought of that).

A friend of mine and I have been comparing Nissan vehicles (he's trying to buy a 350Z "track"). The Infinity G35 M6 Coupe is very close to the 350Z (I think it looks nicer and is more practial), but he pointed out that the Maxima with the 6 speed manual is also very close (same weight and very close in HP) for $15,000 less)! These are the things that make marketeers stomachs churn in the night ;-).
  • insur_suvsinsur_suvs Member Posts: 19
    Thanks to all of you for your comments to my post! Mjohn99, you are right, one does go insane reading each post (which I've now done more or less). I now remember WT's and your posts in the 4runner forum about the Runner let-down and about comming over (as they say in the 4Runner forum) to the dark side. It is such a hard final decision to make! It's harder because I've come to accept the 4Runner's cladding. Again, thanks for all your help! Happy New Year to all!
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I thought your comment that the G35 coupe more practical than the 350Z was strange since I thought they were basically the same car. I re-read the Car & Driver review and confirmed that they are indeed the same car except that the G35 Coupe is 12.6 inches longer (8 inches in wheelbase) than the 350Z to accomodate a usable back seat and larger trunk.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    That's probably what PATHSTAR was speaking of when he said to g35 is more practical than the 350z... it has 4 seat.
  • cpd2cpd2 Member Posts: 1
    I know this has been asked once or twice over the past year or so, but I've been feeling this on a brand new 02 SE so I want to confirm that EVERYONE feels this in their PF and that it is not doing any damage to the auto trans. Just to reiterate, when shifting from 1-2, especially during harder accelerating, the auto transmission slips or holds up between 1st and 2nd. If it's supposed to, I guess that's fine. It doesn't feel right though and I worry that it will cause excessive wear on the tranny. Is this just a poor/cautious design to handle torque? Thanks in advance for the feedback.
  • bobnot1bobnot1 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone suggest some good replacement tires for my 2001 Pathfinder SE 4x4? The crappy Duelers that came on the truck only lasted 28,000 miles!!
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Michelin LTX's will greatly improve ride and traction. They'll cost ya though.
  • lesg2lesg2 Member Posts: 9
    I specifically purchase the 3.5 Pathfinder for it's mid-size SUV towing power. I have a 3000lb boat and have towed it from Atlanta, GA to Key West and back 1700 miles, with no problems. I did add Air Lifts to raise the rear end, which was a big help. Just stay out of overdrive while towing as recommended by the manual.

Les
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    I have a 02 2WD SE and I've never noticed anything like you described.

Saw the 03 Pathfinder at the Auto Show today. I've noticed they removed the front air dam from the SE's roof rack. Guess people didn't like that. Also the steering wheel was different.

Happy Pathfinding!!!
    Steve
  • cj724cj724 Member Posts: 13
    Well, I have owned my 2002 4x4 LE Pathfinder for one full year and I have logged 9000 trouble free miles. It still feels like a brand new vehicle. I have had opportunities to take it off road in 4LO in the mud and drive in 4Hi in the snow and I enjoyed every moment. I have been averaging 19.5 mpg highway and 13.5 mpg city (I do have a heavy foot). My only complaint is that I wish it had a little larger interior. Nissan may come out with a full size SUV in 2004. We shall see.
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    If you haven't already seen it, here's a link to a spy photo of the '04 Nissan full-size suv. It's pretty well wrapped up, but I like the outline. So does anyone know yet what the future holds for our beloved PF? Toyota kept the 4Runner(actually just redesigned) even with the Highlander, Landcruiser, and Sequoia models out. Do you think Nissan will follow with the Xterra/ Murano/PF/full-size line-up?

http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5549&sid=178&n=156

• meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    Les: The LE PF are equipped with a load sensing device that increases braking pressure to the rear brakes. To do this the rear has to "sag". If you have a LE be lenient on the air in the lifts.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    if this new large Nissan SUV has a 3rd row of seats? That's the only way I see it being successful and interesting to me.
  • lawsonblawsonb Member Posts: 7
    I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem. I have a 2002 Pathfinder SE. This morning the left rear tire blew. Deep gash in the inner sidewall. Usually that would be no problem but I discovered two problems. The jack would not raise the car high enough to get the tire off. Also, while I was under the car, there was no clear indication of where the jack would go had I blown the right rear tire. Am I missing something here? I even had my wife bring me a brick to put the jack on. That enabled me to get the blown tire off, but it still wasn't high enough to get the spare on the truck.
  • meanbearmeanbear Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an 03 Pathfinder SE. I have noticed the slip in the trans as well. Haven't been able to take it back to the dealership yet though. I had a 97 Pathfinder SE that shifted hard in overdrive but the owners manual warned about that. Maybe its the same type of problem. Anyone have any ideas??? For the person who drove 60MPH in 4 Hi, I did that in my 97 and never had any problems. Actually drove a little faster than 60. Maybe I was just lucky.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    with my 2002 Le, went to dealer they said it's normal.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    lawsonb: On the rear the jack fits under the axle just inboard the spring. This way it only take a few turns on the jack to raise the tire off the ground. On the front there is a pad on the frame aft the mud flap. Steve
  • drbigzdrbigz Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 LE with 21K miles. It has a chrome grille guard and chrome guard for the rear lights. Also has tint, sunroof deflector, rear wind deflector, and two 12" RF HE2 subs with a Kenwood 1000 watt amp. How much should I sell it for or how much can I get in a trade in? The car is beatiful. Here's the link to the pics:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/drbigzphd/lst?.dir=/Pathfinder&.src=ph&.view=

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    1. True Market Value

2. Real-World Trade-In Values

Aftermarket options typically don't add much dollar value to a sale, but they may help it move faster.

Steve, Host

• Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Probably sell it for good price to someone hearding cows...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Probably sell it for good price to someone hearding cows...

Someone listening to cows wouldn't need a Pathfinder though it could be useful in herding! ;-)

(Sorry - I couldn't resist!)

tidester, host
  • jeg72jeg72 Member Posts: 18
    I have seen a few messages on this board and some others about power window problems like mine. Unfortunately I haven't read any indication that anyone had found a solution.

Here is the problem. Power windows are either very slow to go up or get stuck going up and go back down again. This is associated with screeching noises. The problem is worse when it is cold outside.

In my case this effects the driver side window the worst but the passenger side window is beginning to get bad. I have had this worked on twice by the dealer and it is currently worse than it was the first time I took it in.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    Have the same power window problems. Left/right front windows. Occurs ONLY when it is cold outside. I live in CA, go to the mountains on the weekly basis. Every weekend the windows get stuck. One window did not go up at all. In the warm climate no problems at all. Dealer reply: " can't replicate the problem can't fix it." It is in the dealer again today for the same problem. I doubt it they will fix the problem.

Jeg, maybe i should leave it alone...I don't want the problem to get worse.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.
  • jeg72jeg72 Member Posts: 18
    There are obviously a number of people who have this same problem. I don't know whether to suggest you leave it alone or get it looked at but I am definitely in worse shape now than I was before.

However, my problems are very reproducible so at least I am able to force the issue with the dealership. The question is will they be able to fix the problem. I'll post back here if I get anything resolved.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I had that on my 2000 SE Driver side front. The dealer lubricated the track if my memory serves me correctly. That was in 2001. No problems since.

However, in both my PF and the QX4 I replaced it with, the windows freeze shut if the temperature goes below freezing when the vehicle is wet or covered with snow. I've yet to have a solution to this one. I've never had this problem in such a frequent and predictable manner with any other vehicle ...
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    Same problem here: 2001 PF LE

I better have it checked soon...last night...the window almost stayed down...lol

At the time this happened, the outside air temp was just above freezing here in Washington State
  • bd70bd70 Member Posts: 30
    Did you decide between the PF and 4Runner yet? FYI, my '03 LE came in about $1200 under invoice and $2400 under TMV. That included a $1000 rebate though, which is no longer in effect. I think you can still get a good deal. I did the internet quote thing. All it did was give the dealers a telephone number to call me at. I didn't get any internet quotes, but the telephone quotes I got were all under invoice and the dealer I finally purchased from actually gave a competing quote to what I had coming in from others. If only I didn't have to bring it back to fix a chip in the paint, it would have been an extremely pleasant experience all around. I really hate car salespeople and not having to deal with those bottom-feeders until I was ready to sign the papers was invaluable.
  • bulgokeebulgokee Member Posts: 36
    To all 2001 - current Pathfinder owners:

How much did you pay for your 15,000 service? Edmunds says ~$190 in my area (Philly Surburb) but two dealers I called have 2 extreme prices. One quoted me $229 while another quoted me $141 (and that's not including tax). I know that each dealership adds their own "extra" services. Why not just do what the manual says?
    My 15 K service on my QX4 was $150 in Charlotte, NC. I was surprised that it was that high based on what they had to do. Maybe its not outta line based on what you guys are saying. I thought Luxury dealerships were supposed to have parts and service costs. But then again, Edmunds claims that the Pathfinder should be $172 and the QX4 should be only $124 for the 15 K service in my area. Go figure.
    I have the same problem with my front driver side window - very slow when cold out. I noticed it last winter. The dealer cleaned and lubricated the track and that seemed to help. However, I'm noticing it again this winter too. It's noticeably slower than the passenger side window when I open them at the same time. Guess I'm headed back to the dealer.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Hello,

The gas price here has sky rocketed here lately. It is getting our of hand really. Considering the poor mileage I got from my 03 Pathfinder so far I'm seriously considering switching to regular gas for a while (regular is now much more expensive than premium was whe I bought the truck so imagine premium...)

I know that I am not to expect substantial savings but still I'm trying to keep gas costs down.

What I am to expect from my truck when I'll switch: 10% less power ???? Can MPG be any worse than it is with premium ???? Am I to cause any problems to my truck ????

Thanks
  • onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    I'm definately no expert but if you can afford it I'd stick with the mid-grade rather than dropping all the way down to the regular. You might get pinging which as you know is bad news.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Not only on my 02 QX4, but only my 96 Maxima, I just can't tell ANY difference between regular and premium gas. Well maybe with some meter I could. Idle smoothness, acceleration, MPG whatsoever. I've been switching back and forth so many times for comparison. Now I use regular gas (87 here in Bay area) 90% of the time.
    There is a knock sensor that detects and adjusts the timing so it's OK o use regular. I've never heard any pinging on any of my cars so far.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    If you do a search on regular fuel, you might read that the vehicle is designed for a minimum of 91 octane at most altitudes. I have read that using regular fuel (87 octane) results in poorer fuel mileage, as the computer retards the engine timing. Any saving in fuel price (10 cents per litre difference here in B.C.) may be offset by lower fuel economy. I currently pay 80 cents per litre, at a discount food store, who offer a 5 cent/litre rebate coupon on goods purchased in the store (effective price = 75 cents/litre).
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Someone listening to cows wouldn't need a Pathfinder though it could be useful in herding! ;-)

(Sorry - I couldn't resist!)

tidester, host

I stand corrected...Too many fingers...Still think all that metalwork looks stupid...
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    The Nissan Titan was reveiled today. It's the full-size pickup that Nissan's upcoming large SUV is rumored to be based on. You can check it out at www.nissanusa.com
  • hutch85hutch85 Member Posts: 8
    Looks interesting, but what's with the gimmicky center-dash "pod" design that the manufacturers are using these days? Looks weird and tacked-on, draws too much attention to it instead of blending with the dash. The Murano and Sorento suffer from this, along with a couple of other vehicles.

Otherwise, the truck seems to set itself apart fairly well in the exterior views.
    I really like the looks of it. It'll be interesting to see how well it does. Anyone know if the full-size SUV is also going to be introduced at the auto show?
    It might be introduced at a show later this year but if it were to be introduced at this show, we would have already seen a picture of it. All the pictures of the new models and concepts are posted (at least one small one) before the show ever starts.
  • norcalsurfrnorcalsurfr Member Posts: 14
    I just recently traded in my '00 X for an '03 PF, and truthfully, I'm disapointed in my decision. The PF just doesn't seem as utilitarian or off-road worthy. Is it just me being crazy or is there a real difference here?? Forget about all the extra creature comforts and more powerful engine. It jsut doesn't seem like the PF can compete. And whats the deal with the automatic tranny? I drive up and over a 1000' range every day, I've never been in a vehicle with a tranny that shifted so much, it makes me crazy.

Anyone with similar or different experiences??
    loud vibration noise when the both rear windows are only opened.
    Hello

You traded an offroad vehicle for an "offroad capable" vehicle. You "upgraded" as well it is normal that the Pathfinder feels a bit more upscale and less utilitatian.

I think that the Pathfinder will be as capable as the X to handle most offroading situations short of rock-climbing.

I traded a base 4Runner for a Pathfinder LE and it also felt weird a bit because of all the LE ammenities like leather and auto climate made me feel more like riding a luxury car but the Pathfinder LE is as capable as other Pathfinder trim and as far as I'm concerned is it as capapble as my old 4Runner.

Tranny: I also have a 03 Path and I do not experience any transmission problem (very smooth for a 4-speed transmission).

WT
    I had the same problem with my 4Runner. I don't why it does that.... Might be because the air is trapped I guess
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's pretty common. Tides explains it well:

tidester "Volvo XC90 SUV" Jan 4, 2003 12:19am

Steve, Host
    more like helicopter noise.
    So...I used to take my X through some pretty gnarly stuff (deep mud, wicked rutted out coastal bluffs, soft sand, rocky river beds, etc.) without any mods to the truck. Do you think the PF can handle most of this stuff, even though the ground clearance is significantly less (1.25")?

Also has anyone put real tires on their vehicle yet? if so, what size and how did the truck perform.

If I keep the PF I want to put some BFG A/T TA KO (265/70/R16) tires on it. Will the wheel well accept these?
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    norcalsurf,
    We take our '01 SE 5-spd w/LSD to Utah at least twice a year and run into the backcountry - Usually Canyonlands, and around here in CO pretty regularly.( see pic link below)
    While the Pathy is more plush and softly sprung than your former X, it's suprisingly capable in its stock form. We went to 265/70/R16's as soon as the Bridgestone "crappers" hit their wear bars at 25k, so yes they will fit.
    Know that the above mentioned size will rub a bit on the inner plastic fenders a bit when in reverse @ full lock of the steering wheel to each side.
    With the BFG lug size you will probably also experience some rubbing at full articulation in the rear. Also when I was pricing them 1.5 years ago, they were EXPENSIVE for the 16" rim sizes, $160-170/corner-tire only. That may have changed with more SUV's running on the 16" rims.
    The main difference to take away is that the pathy is softer and a little lower, if you take your time and let the mechanicals do the work for you, you should be able to get around pretty good.
    There is a 3"-3.5" lift in the works for our Pathy from Calamini, but it's still in the production stage.
    here are a few sites for you and your pathy:
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bgritz
    http://dean.thayer.net/off-road/
    http://www2.4x4parts.com (discussion board)
    good luck,
    gritz
    Gritz,
    Thanks for all the good info and great pics. The tires have come down in price, I put some on my X for $106/tire. I'm still up in the air as to keeping it or not. If I don't loose to much $$ it's gone for another X.