Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Could it be an aftermarket or dealer added on wood trim? I don't remember ever see any factory wood trim around Pathy's vent. If it's an aftermarket piece, it's probably a stick-on trim that is easy to tell.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    - for a lot of these questions, I reccomend using the Advanced Search feature first - you'll be surprised at how much is already on the board about tire pressure(see, e.g., post 507 on Problems & Solutions).

- wood plastic trim: I KNOW I saw a website back in October of last year that sold this stuff for the Pathfinder; aftermarket but identical; just start searching Google or something and it will have to turn up . . .
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    I just test drove the Murano which feels lighter and more nimble than the PF even tho it's rated at only 5 HP more.

Is there an aftermarket Navigation system available, perhaps portable that can be taken from car to car? It is one slick toy with the 7" screen and female audio voice!
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    Check out www.garmin.com
    www.crutchfield.com has the alpine units I believe (not portable but an aftermarket install)
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    This week saw Nissan Dealer here with $3000 Off signs in all of his Muranos...
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    Picked up the rear wind deflector from Irontoad. Install was a breeze. Took about 20 minutes total, including washing the window.
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    to replace the OEM Dunlops that finally wore out on the PF. Live in AZ so any suggestions about a good hot weather capable tire would be appreciated. Driving is done virtually all on the highway with very limited dirt road use and no snow use at all. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Michelin LTXs have been great for ours. They drastically improved performance - snow (not that you need it), rain, and even to some degree in dry weather.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Hello

I'll be picking up my boat pretty soon. Since I bought my new Pathfinder in late October I never pulled the boat with it.

I have to admit that I'm afraid that the Path will sag when I will attach my boat.

Boat + engine + trailer = 2500 pounds (+/-) but I have no idea how much weight is on the tongue (10% ???)

Anyone with sagging experience with a similar setup ? For example my 99 4Runner used to sag big time with the same setup. I looked more like a rocket than a truck ;-)

Anybody installed the Airlift product? Did it impact suspension and VDC performance ??

Thanks for the info
    I have had good luck on other trucks with those too. I forgot my main question tho' and that was a recommendation for LT series replacement of the P series OEM rubber. Is that a good idea or what?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    I haven't had any experience with Dunlop LT tires so I can't say. I am not hyping the Michelins for any other reason than I have experience with them and love 'em. I got rid of the OEM Bridgestones at 12k in favor of the Michelins. They were exceptionally poor. I got into the LTX's because I replaced the Goodyears on my Expedition with them about a month before doing the Pathfinder. I was convinced enough to drop $600 to do it. I did sell the OEM's to a guy for $225 so it wasn't as painful as it started out.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I just replaced my Bridgestone Duelers with Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires they blow the old one's away. Michelin's may be pricey but you can't beat the tread life of these things...
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I have a 2001 LE. My boat, trailer & engine is about 3800+ lbs. Tongue weight is around the recommended 10% (about 350 lbs).

Many others here have cited the soft rear end while towing and even bottoming out, although I think that happens only when you have folks in the back seats.

There's a TSB on this that should stiffen the rear suspension and improve this...I haven't done that yet. And of course there's the air lifts that some others have added.

My personal experience is that the 350 lbs tongue weight does drop the rear a bit, but I've never bottomed out. I don't tow long distances, but I do go over some rough roads. I also never have more than 3 people in the PF while towing (1 in the rear). So...to me, I have no problem.

Given that, I don't really want the rear end to be any stiffer...but that's individual taste.

Hope this helps,
    Tom
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    I have heard only great things about these tires so will throw them on my 2001 PF SE AWD soon.

Have any of you changed tire size? Original being 255/70/16, would 265/65/16 work on the OEM rims?
  • bd70bd70 Member Posts: 30
    I just received it and in the directions it says to remove the rear interior finishing panel in order to get to the bolts for the top of the hinge. Any hints on how to go about removing this panel without damaging any of the surrounding areas? Does this just pry off or is it more complicated?
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    just pry off the finishing piece. There are four or five retaining clips holding it in place, but it should pop right off.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    To check tire size differences...

http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm

They are wider...So I'd check room in wheelwell...

The Michelin LTX was original tire on my QX4...Really like them, but I think if I were to replace I'd go with the Cross Terrain SUV's like Smokey75...Write ups show even better..But LTX's are cheaper...My .02.....
  • bd70bd70 Member Posts: 30
    Scanty, thanks for the response. It popped right off. For anyone who is thinking about putting one of these on, learn from my mistakes. First, the nuts for the bolts in the top of the hinge will fall into the hollow part of the upper liftgate if you're not careful. Its a real pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to get them out. Happened to me twice and I shaved some skin off my fingers trying to get them out from the little holes in the liftgate shell. Also, the self-tapping screws for the bottom part of the hinge will strip the inside of the hinge if you are slightly off when you tighten them. Its easier to do it than you would think. I stripped one of the screws and hinge holes before I figured that it is better to tap the holes prior to attempting the installation. Now I have to retap the hole and get a new screw. Otherwise, the install was simple. I just figured I'd give my two cents and save someone else some headaches.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I installed these springs on my truck a couple years ago. They work great, especially for towing and hauling people/cargo.
    http://dean.thayer.net/off-road/upgrades/airlift/

I believe the TSB that reduces bottoming out has more to do with modifying the bump stops than replacing the springs with stiffer ones.

At any rate, the airlift setup maintains level ride height and can preserve handling when loaded.

If you desire, you can replace the rear shocks with adjustable ones (Rancho RS9116X), which also help in preserving ride qality when loaded.
  • austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    I bought a 02' LE from Canada and brought it down here to the states over a year ago. Thanks to many on the list for the suggestions and hints to make the process so easy.

Only 1 regret so far is the lack of the LATCH securing points for car seats. I know that the 02' US models came with them and was wondering if anyone has tried or has heard of a LATCH retro fit kit for the Can versions.

Thanks,

Bryan
    I have an '01 w/o LATCH with a Britax Roundabout child seat in it and the thing is solid. I learned a few tricks from Nissan's SnugKids brochure that really made a big difference. First, get some non-slip kitchen cabinet liner material --assuming you have leather on your LE. Put that on top of the leather seat cushion, where you will be placing the child seat. Recline the rear seats one notch from its most upright position (assumes you place it in the center seating position). Install the child seat with the lap belt and tighten as much as possible, putting all of you body weight into the seat. Then anchor the top tether strap to the tether hook in the floor of the hatch/cargo area. Do not tighten this strap just yet. Recline the seats to it's most upright position. Now you can tighten the tether strap as much as possible.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Coincidently I was looking at this LATCH thing just last night. Our 2001 PF does not have it, and we're having friends visit next month with a 4 yr old. In our PF the rear carpet has the flaps where the anchors should be, but underneath are only bolts. I checked some friends newer QX4 and it appears that we can just move the anchors over to ours temporarily. Or I suppose I can get them at the junkyard or dealer. That's all there is to LATCH, right?

Jon
  • austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    Actually, those are just the cargo anchors that hapen to work well for child seat top anchors. The LATCH is actually a pair of small steel pieces that are in between the seat bottom and seat back that are welded/bolted to the car chassis or seat frame. This system allows mostly for ease of install and also leaves less room for error during install.

They technically aren't better as far as safety goes but it ensures that the seat is installed properly as it leaves less room for error and also is easier to install/move the seat from car to car.

Goose 1207, we also have the Britax Roundabout seat. It is wonderful. Britax is definitly head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to build quality and features. I definitly recommend them to someone looking for a seat for their child. I researched the subject for like 2 months before getting the Britax and haven't regretted it. Only drawback I can find it is the price <ouch>.

Bryan
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    I have 99.5 Pathy, just replaced front struts, rear shocks, and got a heavy duty springs for front and rear. I replaced all the parts because I had problem of front-left sagging. After the replacement, I still have the front-left sagging feeling. I feel this while I drive, whenever I hit a bump with left-side, it feels like front-left dips but doesn't wants to bounce back, unlike the right-side which bounces back up. And anytime on a right curve road, it feels like there's heavy load on the front-left. Its killing me, every other suspension parts(bushing and links) checked out okay. What can cause this problem? I droven this Pathy for 4 yrs and I've noticed this problem about month ago.
  • georgialina1georgialina1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I musta got lost, and posted in the wrong place (thanks Steve---host) I am considering purchasing a 2000 N. P/F and have found a couple at a local dealership. Both have good reports from Carfax. Both were leased in Florida. I've heard since childhood to be cautious of used cars from Fla. (or any coastal area) because of the salty air causing corrosion. How much truth is in this, and are there any telltale signs (apart from the obvious holes/rust) to be on the lookout for? Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Hopefully I found the right place, if not please point out the local information station :)
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I had the same problem a couple years ago with my 96 PF. The dealer said the throttle cable was all gummed up. I can't remember if they replaced it or just cleaned it. I worked fine after that. It was covered under warranty so I don't know what the cost was.
    Many years ago I was in Florida attending a school. I heard a restaurant owner said that everyday she parked her car at the same spot in the same direction. After a few years, the side facing the beach got corroded. The other side still looked OK. Her restaurant was along the beach but separated by a narrow street.
    I went with the LTX in P series everyone I talked to seemed to think the LT series was a little overkill for the PF used primarily on the road. For georgialina1 you are right in being concerned about a car from a coastal area. Salt is pervasive and really can mess up a finish/trim in a few years, not to mention serious rust if you drive through salt water surging on roads in flood areas during storms etc. Even in sunny California where the roads are only salted in the mountain areas, cars near the ocean/bay get a lot of salt spray just from the wind. IMHO be careful when you buy a car from any coast.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Does anyone out there have experience concerning replacing gear lube in the differentials, transfer case, and manual transmission of Pathfinders? My 1998 is at 55K miles, and I am contemplating several "midlife" service procedures. Any knowledge sharing would be appreciated. I have yet to service the hubs, or to replace the brake pads and shoes, as well.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Two issues here:
    1. If doing yourself, be sure to remove the fill plug first. If you drain, and then can't get the fill plug out you have a problem. Also, this stuff is so objectionable, find a good system to pump/flow it in with minimal spillage. I quickly got tired of cleaning up the stuff that ran down my arm as I strained for 10 min. to force it uphill into the cases. There are nice "professional" pumps that attach to the bulk containers you can buy.
    2. Type of oil. In the past I have always used "normal" oil. After my experiences with Mobil 1 in the engine (more than pays for itself in better mileage, and the engine is so much smoother/quieter), I will be using synthetic when my PF miles up to change time. Be sure whatever you use meets the owners manual specs.
    I have the limited slip differential in the rear, so I must use an appropriate synthetic for refill. Do you have a recommendation that works in this situation? My nearby Infiniti dealer said they would do the whole thing for me, but I am considering doing it at home. Years ago, I refilled the differential on a Plymouth Sapporo and got into the stinkfest you mentioned. Hypoid lubricant can be a bit repulsive. Thanks for the tip on removing the fill plug first. That's a good idea.
  • buddhaboybuddhaboy Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2001 PF LE and have a baby on the way. I like to install a metal pet barrier between the back seat and the cargo to separate my baby with my large 95lb dog. My dog is well behaved so I thought of using a plastic/fabric barrier but I'm afraid in case of an accident, the dog will be a flying missile. Does anyone have a recommendation on a secure metal barriers? I've looked through various pet catalogs (Drs Foster & Smith, JB Wholesale) but it doesn't say how well it contains the pet in a crash. Thanks for your suggestions.
    I'm in a process of adopting a dog. I thought about having a proper size crate for two purposes, to be a dog house mainly for sleeping, and to be a pet divider when putting it in my SUV trunk area. It's a little clumsy but I don't espect to carry my future dog in the car so often.

When it comes to the pet divider I'll naturally consider the metal type not the plastic type, no matter how well a dog behaves.
  • lilelvislilelvis Member Posts: 82
    I have a '97 Pathfinder and bought a generic barrier at Petsmart. It is a tension type that actually fits the pathfinder extremely well. I can't remember the brand name, but I believe Petsmart just carries the one brand. It was relatively cheap (<$100) compared to the one Nissan sells (I think irontoad.com also sells the more expensive type). The actual grate is three pieces connected together with wingnuts. I was a little concerned about having the bolts protruding, but they are essentially covered by the seat and headrests so no people or puppies should get impaled. Used it a hundred times with up to 3 beagles with no problems.
  • dupersc1dupersc1 Member Posts: 11
    If you go with Mobil 1 for the rear diff, you don't need any LSD addictive as Mobil 1 is compatible for both.

Mobil 1 container has the long nose spout that you can pour directly into the fill hole without a separate pump. I found that jacking up the rear higher than the front and drop the spare made it much easier. Just fill it up until it is about to spill out.

• smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I bought the Nissan pet barrier for my 2001 PF. It fits perfectly. What's really nice about it is that it does not take away any floor space. Removing the barrier is easy.......4 screws. I felt it was worth the little extra money.
    Pouring in additives would just make it tougher to complete. A service rep told me to be sure and use only synthetic products in the limited slip unit. I wondered if the Mobil 1 gear lube would be sufficient.
  • nyrfannnyrfann Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a PF that has the plastic sunvisors (No lighted mirrors). I bought some replacment visors off of Ebay with the homelink & lighted mirrors and would like some advice on how to install them (Mainly the wiring. There is currently no wiring up there.

Thank,
    Felix
  • poseidonposeidon Member Posts: 30
    I asked awhile back, but at the time there seemed to be a void of info, except for the new fullsize Armada. Has anyone heard when we might see a redesigned midsize Pathfinder? Any word on changes or improvements? Thanks.
    Redesigned mid-size Pathfinder will bow in the fall of 2004 as a 2005 model. It will have third row seating. That's all I've heard as of now.
  • poseidonposeidon Member Posts: 30
    Do you mind me asking what your source is, and if it's accessible to mere mortals like myself who are outside of the automotive industry. Thanks again.
  • mchinmchin Member Posts: 22
    I was wondering if any one has the Goodyear fortera on their PF? Do they like them? I am comparing the Fortera with the Michelin LTX and Michelin Cross Terrain. Thanks.
    I found that the Fortera is far superior to the Wrangler RT/S. If you buy Goodyear tires, make a deal up front with the seller that you will not accept any tire that requires more than, say, 3 ounces to balance perfectly. It took me almost 5000 miles of lousy tire performance to finally get a satisfactory solution from Goodyear on my Ranger pickup. I'll spare you the tale of woe, and get to the bottom line. They gave up trying to get RT/S tires to balance and let me pay some difference to get into the Fortera. It solved the problem.
    I put Cooper Discoverer tires on my Pathfinder, and I couldn't be happier with performance. I think the type was HT, which is a highway tread that runs smoothly and quietly. The first rotation is coming up this summer.
  • mchinmchin Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the information. What made you decide on the Cooper tire?
    Cooper is reputed to be the last of the American rubber companies producing tires, and not being foreign owned. I have recently been advised that they now have a relationship with Pirelli, but "se la vie." I found a tread pattern in the Discoverer series that I thought would work well for my XE 98 Pathfinder, and so far my decision has been right on. Cooper pricing is competitive, as well.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I just patched up a small ding on the rear hatch, next to the window. Bondo, sand, prime, looking good, ready for paint.

To my surprise, auto parts stores like Pep boys and Auto Barn list 4 colors for all of Nissan (?!?!?) and not one is my 2001 LE's silver (which, accoding to the tag on the firewall is KR4).

So I went to my local Nissan dealer, thinking "oh well, I'll spend a little more, but at least I'm guaranteed a match" and....I was told that Nissan does not sell spray paint. He suggested that I go to a body shop and have them match it.

Anybody have a source for matching spray paint? Would a body shop mix and sell me some of the paint? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tom
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have a friend who sells truck canopies and most of them are "paint to match." The paint dealers install computerized mixing machines in the shops and you just punch in the code and the machine spits out a pint or whatever amount you need.

So yeah, I'd try to get some at a body shop or similar, but a small amount may be too much hassle for them to fool with. And you'd need a sprayer.

Maybe you can swap them some KK's for a half-pint and get one of the paint booth guys at the shop to spray it for you after hours :-)

Steve, Host
    Try the other "discount" car parts chains. Also, check with NAPA and Carquest. I can't swear to it, but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get what you want in a shake-and-spray can. My last purchase like that was from Pep Boys.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's too easy. Next you'll be telling Li_S to just get some off the net (link).

Steve, Host
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Actually, a good paint store can match the paint and put it in a spray can for you. Look around and I'm sure you'll find one in your area that can do it. BTW, it's not just the colour, it's the type of paint that must match.