Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    Just curious what you all mean by bottoming out? I notice my 01 seems rough in the back when I go over a bump. Feels like the rear suspension takes the jolt harder than the front. Is this what you would describe as bottoming out?
    Thanks-
    PNC
  • Options
    bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    yes, to your bottoming question. My 2001 PF experienced the same symptoms as yours. I brought my PF to my local Nissan dealer and presented them with the Service Bullitin Number: NTB02081. They ordered the parts and installed rubber bumper assembly on the rear suspension. No more bottoming out.
  • Options
    cstowecstowe Member Posts: 101
    I am just recently out of warranty but have the extended nissan "certified" warranty for drivetrain.

Will I have to pay for the TSB repair or will it be covered or will they have to do it for free regardless?
  • Options
    austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    sorry, I actually meant a 275/65/17, which, according to my calcs is 1.5in larger than stock or .5 inches larger than the 265/65/17.

Thanks all,

Bryan
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Either way, have your tire dealer test fit before you commit. The only way to know for sure is to actually do it.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good question; dealers aren't required to perform any TSB, whether under warranty or not. They may be required to fix a problem, and it may happen that a TSB addresses the problem, but it doesn't work like a recall.

Here's a link that may help:

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mahipalcmahipalc Member Posts: 20
    I am noticing a fluid leak under my new 03 pathfinder. I dont know if it's from AC condensation but the fluid smells and looks clear, like water. I can understand a little bit of dripping but it was very steady. It stopped as soon I turned the engine off. Do I need to be concerned or is it a normal thing? I need to check if this happens with AC off.

Thanks for the inputs
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    When it's humid outside, the a/c in my 01 PF generates a lot of condensation. It sometimes will leave a line of water all the way up the driveway. If it doesn't leak when a/c is off I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    I would worry if you DIDN'T see dripping water because all that condensation would be trapped and molding somewhere inside your truck!

Any word on a new Pathfinder for 04 or 05? Not the Armada but a replacement for the current one.

I heard talk that the Xterra was moving up market to replace the Pathy on next redesign and the Pathy would be dropped altogether.

I don't think that's likely since the Pathy name is so solid with the SUV crowd...
  • Options
    Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Not to worry...Happens to my QX4 also...It can be disconcerting though...
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    My QX4 sometimes does other times doesn't. The fluid is on passenger side, a little behind the front wheel axle. I don't care at all.
  • Options
    goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    The next gen PF will bow in late '04 as an '05 model. It will have 3rd row seating and will be produced at the Smyrna, TN plant (as opposed to Kyushu Japan on the current model).
  • Options
    lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    On my 2001 LE Pathy w/33K miles, I have a front end that leans on the drivers side. The drivers side of the car from the front end is lower than the passenger side giving it a slumped/unbalanced look. It is not that bad but noticeable. The rear backend is fine and level. Has anyone encountered the same problem? I read a similar problem in a previous post a while back but don't recall the solution or reason published. Any insight would be appreciated.
  • Options
    goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    Can someone tell me what the 4 different 17" LE wheel finishes are and their corresponding part #s? So far I have seen the clear coat and metallic wheels (does someone have the official name for these) Thanks!
  • Options
    The front left spring may be sagging. Go get that replaced before your 36K mile warranty expires!
  • Options
    bd70bd70 Member Posts: 30
    I had the same problem when I drove it off the lot, brand new. I didn't notice it until a few days later. I took it to various surfaces that seemed flat and then turned it around 180 degrees just to make sure. About 1/2 inch difference, lower on the driver side. I took it to the dealer. To my surprise, the dealer mechanic verified the problem. They ordered a spring. I'm not certain whether it was the rear or the front, although I seem to remember it being the rear. Bottom line is that the dealer acknowledged the problem and fixed it for free. They explained that the vehicle was tied down on the trip over from Japan and that one side might have been tied down too tight. Whatever the case may be, it seems fine now, although I haven't measured it like I did at first.
  • Options
    bec7bec7 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 NISSAN PATHFINDER SE 2WD WITH 86,000 HIGHWAY MILES ON IT (HAD IT SINCE DEC 99 BRAND NEW). LEASE IS ALMOST UP, WONDERING WHETHER I SHOULD BUY IT (WAY OVER ON MILES!) IT'S BEEN A GREAT RUNNER, NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER ! ANYONE OUT THERE WITH PATHFINDERS IN THE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF MILES??? I WOULD BUY ANOTHER ONE IN A HEARTBEAT. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It will be easier for people to read what you write if you turn off your caps lock key!

tidester, host
  • Options
    I have a '97 with 121,000 miles on it. It's still young as far as I'm concerned, although I live in California (as opposed to a snow-belt state), so the body, engine, undercarriage, are in excellent shape. I can't say the same for vehicles that spend most of their lives exposed to salted roads in the winter.

Anyway, I've had very few "problems" with my truck, and because I've added so many aftermarket modifications to it (over $9000!) I definitely plan to keep it until the body falls apart or I wreck it!
  • Options
    debstevedebsteve Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2001 PF SE. The manual says to use premium gas. Do I need to spend the extra money on premium, or will it run OK on regular gas?
  • Options
    scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    I was chatting with my Nissan-Mazda sales guy the other night about the gas question (I have a 1999.5, he has a 2002). He only uses premium when he goes on long road trips, and regular for his around town driving. No problems other than a little less power.
  • Options
    Thanks for the front end lean insights and advice. I will take it into the dealer and post my results as soon as it is done.
  • Options
    nwwoodsnwwoods Member Posts: 21
    I'm wondering what it would take to upgrade an existing manual temp control (in a 2001 SE) to an auto temp control. What besides the control unit itself would be required? I've looked at some drawings and it looks daunting, but would still like to figure it out. Has anyone tried this or looked in to this? I searched the discussions but didn't see any other notes.
  • Options
    It would probably take a lot more than you think. How much time and money do you have?

In addition to replacing the controller unit (the "user interface") on the dash, there are various sensors in the cabin to detect interior ambient temperature.

There's a small "temperature sensor vent" in the lower dashboard, probably near the ignition switch and a "sunlight" sensor on the top of the dash by the defroster vents. The system may also be connected to the exterior temp sensor.

Even if you find an auto climate system from a wrecked Pathfinder at a junkyard, are you willing to disassemble a majority of your dashboard (and possibly void your warranty on interior electrical systems) just to get auto climate control?
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Be happy that you have a manual system. It is simpler, cheaper to repair, and more reliable. If I were you I would not even think about upgrading to an automatic system. I should know, I have a climate control in my 83 Mercedes 300SD and it is giving me a lot of grief. Local Mercedes dealer spent hours troubleshooting it and cannot figure out what is wrong. The cost of parts is outrageous. I would like to throw it out and replace it with a manual system if it was possible.
  • Options
    could be less reliable. However Japanese/Nissan's electronics is far more reliable than German/MB's.
  • Options
    cadetcurlycadetcurly Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a Pathfinder within two days and am having trouble deciding on the '00 and the '01 models. I have already decided I like the LE and think it's worth the extra $ for the features, but am unsure about the engine upgrade. I've read that some people feel the '00 is underpowered, but I test drove 3 today and they seemed to suit my needs just fine. I didn't think they were "sluggish" or underpowered, however, I have not driven an '01 yet. So my question is how do owners feel about the 3.5 engine, is it worth it? I'm not going to be doing heavy towing or need lots of power, maybe some small off-roading here and there. I found someone who can get me into an '00 LE for ~$18k or an '01 LE for ~20k. (neither are certified...that's an extra $1k) For me the $2k I'd save could go towards all that gas I'll be using. Any thoughts are much appreciated!
  • Options
    bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Go for the bigger engine. It is worth the extra $2K because of a better resale value and the power it has. I love my 2002 QX4. I could not imagine haveing one with less power though. I like the acceleration, passing power and "pulling out into traffic from a stop sign" power. I would not have a 2000 MY.
  • Options
    The 3.5 engine will last longer due to less strain on the engine since it is a lot stronger. Also, power degradation will be felt less in the 3.5 over the years to come. I can't imagine my 2001 LE pathy with the smaller engine. You need to test drive a '01 3.5 engine to make an accurate comparison and see what you are missing out on if you go with the '00 engine. You will agree with us after that. Good luck!
  • Options
    cstowecstowe Member Posts: 101
    By all means go with the bigger engine. It is a better design and will also hold its resale better in the long run.

I am constantly pleased by the power of my 2001 LE...it is a great engine.
  • Options
    dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    We bought our 00 just before the 01's arrived. The deal we recieved was just too outstanding to pass up.

In the three and one half years of ownership I've not had any instasnce where I felt I needed more power. Granted I'm not usig the vehicle to either tow or stop light race.

Plus if there are the intake and exhaust mods that can give you a pretty good boost if past reports on here are acurate.

Anyway, all things being equal you should get a very good price break on the 00, if not I would opt for the 01.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I've owned both so I can speak about the differences.

My 99.5 with the 3.3l VG series engine was a great truck. That engine felt fine around town and great when cruising on the highway. It does run out of breath quicker when trying to pass or merge on the highway and it always needs to grab another gear when climbing hills. However, I never felt like it was dangerously underpowered. I ended up getting a Stillen Stage III kit installed after 6 months (intake, headers and exhaust). It improved the high RPM performance and made the truck more fun, but at too costly an expense of sound.

I bought my 2001 LE for a number of upgrades in addition to the engine...features like Auto AWD, memory seats and 6-disc indash player. I find the 3.5l VQ engine more quiet and refined. It is just as quick off the line, but it keeps pulling hard into the mid and high revs. It climbs hills with less effort and spends less time hunting for gears.

I wasn't unhappy with my 99.5 LE, but I enjoy my 2001 LE more and it will likely hold its value better...however, if that $2k is important to you right now, than I don't think you'll be going wrong with the '00. Good luck.
  • Options
    p9ccg1p9ccg1 Member Posts: 8
    I have an 03 LE Pathfinder and am considering a Nissan extended warranty 7yrs/75K miles $0 deductible. Anyone out there bought one? What is a good price?
  • Options
    mikeeeemikeeee Member Posts: 7
    Hi all!

Just picked up a used, 2001 Pathfinder LE last month and have since been searching for sites with good info on the vehicle ranging from maintenance to modifications to daily ownership issues. I like the Edmunds board here, but it is a bit low on traffic. Does anyone here frequent other boards/web sites for Pathfinder enthusiasts? The closest I have found is the general Nissan forum sites "freshalloy.com" and "nissanforums.com. Both have PF/QX4 forums, but like here, they are really slow.

I do come from owning an Acura Integra, which is probably in the top 4 or 5 cars when it comes to finding info on the net. While I don't expect that kind of fan base for the PF, I did hope for more than I am finding.

Also, the PF I bought has 26k miles. I plan on doing the entire 30k mile service myself, but am wondering if the front wheel bearings really need re-packing at this time as is called for in the owner's manual. Would anything terrible come of waiting an extra 15k miles?

Thanks!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...they are really slow.

It's August.

BTW - other message boards are not suitable topics for discussion here. :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    I didn't buy an extended warranty for a few reasons. Since mine is leased, the power train warranty covers my lease period. 2nd, the reason I bought a PF is that I shouldn't need an extended warranty, unlike my last Ford and Dodge. So far I have 36k on my 01 LE. The only problem I've had was the O2 sensor that was replaced under warranty at 20k. Truck is as solid as the day is came off the lot.

Warranty's are a gamble. Look at what they are going to charge and if you think the Pathfinder will require that much in repairs during the warranty period then buy the warranty. My bet would be that it will not.
  • Options
    nwwoodsnwwoods Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the feedback on the auto temp control. I have time/$$ to do this and would like to determine the parts / procedure required. I'm aware it's likely a major dash disassemble and yes noted the sensors (the light sensor already runs the headlights). The warranty (3/36) is up in 6 mos anyway so no worries there. Just would like to figure out as much as possible in advance.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey NWWOODS, actually the sensor for the auto headlights is seperate from the "sun load" sensor for the auto climate control. They are right next to each other on the dash.
  • Options
    murphyjmurphyj Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone having a problem with a vibration in the steering wheel at about 65-70 miles per hour? I have a brand new Pathfinder 2003 and noticed this vibration at the time of delivery of the car. The agency has balanced and realigned with no improvement. They said that a slight vibration in automatic is expected but I am feeling the vibration even when it is in 2 wheel drive. The vibration is very distracting and is to the point of a safety problem. Any suggestions
  • Options
    mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    Yes, I have a slight vibration at said speeds on my 2002 Pathfinder 4x4 SE, however, I do not recall this vibration upon delivery, it was something that developed after.
  • Options
    cj724cj724 Member Posts: 13
    My 2002 4x4 LE has developed a steering wheel shimmy at 65 miles per hour. I have the original Bridgestone tires and I have been having bad luck with them. I picked up a nail in the left front a few months ago and I had it plugged. This might be causing the shimmy. Last week I had to replace my right rear tire, since I picked up a nail near the sidewall and it was unrepairable. I replaced it with a Michelin Tire. I am thinking of replacing the front left with a Michelin also and moving the other Michelin up front. This way I will have two new Michelin's in the front and the two good Bridgestone's with 14K on the rear. I am hoping with two new Michelins in the front that my shimmy goes away. Does any one know if mixing tires brands (front vs. rear) can cause handleling problems?
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    If you are just using the vehicle for "normal driving" (not racing around on curvy roads) the different sidewall flex shouldn't be a problem. The one thing that can cause problems is diameter differences between the two tire brands. If you have a 2WD no problem, but on a 4WD, even small differences can cause vibrations and "binding" in the drivetrain, and can hasten wear. Check diameter by inflating all tires equally, and measuring from the centre of the hub to the ground on a smooth surface on each wheel. You should be ok with differences smaller than 1/4". I'd be concerned if they were greater.
  • Options
    airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    I feel it as well at about that speed. I can see my hands shaking with the steering wheel, which is annoying. The vibration varies with the road condition. But I don't think it is to the point of a safety issue.
  • Options
    phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    I purchased a used 2001 PF LE in July 1 month before the basic 3yr 36 mile warranty expired. I bought mine from Carmax, but decided to purchase the Nissan Pref. Gold warranty 5yr 100K miles, $0 deduct. If I had bought the car brand new and had been driving it the past 3 years, I wouldn't have bought one since I would have none it's history and if there had been any problems. I did call Nissan and had them provide me with a list of warranty repairs that had been done. A few things had been done, but nothing of major concern. I even called the dealership where it had been serviced to get an idea. Still, I wanted the piece of mind that I'd be covered. I also shopped around and found a dealer willing to sell it to me for $50 over cost. I saved between $500-$700 over what other dealers had offered and $600 on what Carmax offered.
    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer with extended warranties. It's just like buying insurance. You hope you don't need it, but if you do, it is nice to have it.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    So far I have purchased four new car without any extended warranty. Two Nissans, one Infiniti and one Lexus. I know their reliabilities from various ways of researching information. Especially for the first time 94 Nissan Altima, the finance person at the dealer got very unhappy knpwing I didn't want extended warranty. He even said if my timing belt broke in xyz years it would be covered... Later I found he was lying (it's a chain). The more they push me to buy, the more likely they are making money on me, and the more I'll refuse.

Over the years I saved a lot with no extended warranty.
  • Options
    The finance manager at the dealer I purchased my 01 PF really tried to push me into a extended warranty. I told him if I was buying a jeep I probably would buy it (they were also a jeep dealer). I've only made out on one extended warranty I have purchased and that was on a Ford '98 SVT Contour that I paid about $900 and probably got about $3000 worth of work done. Even though I was glad to have the warranty with that car I still was not a happy camper having the car in the shop so much. I ended up getting rid of the car a soon as the warranty was up.
  • Options
    pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I have been doing my oil changes every 3000 miles but now I am wondering if I am wasting my money by doing it bit earlier, since Nissan recommends every 3750 miles. But when I called the dealer, they said if I don't change in every 3000 miles warranty may not work. Now I am confused which one is true, should I do every 3000 miles or every 3750 miles. I would appreciate everyones help.
  • Options
    erock53erock53 Member Posts: 1
    I would not worry about the difference between 750 miles between your oil changes. As far as I'm concerned you are already changing your oil too much and wasting money. If you read your manual it recommends under schedule 2 to replace your oil every 7500 miles. The oil that is manufactured today is much better than the oil that you grew up with. It dosen't break down as quickly. I change my oil every 7500 miles and have never had a problem. My pathy only has 35k on it, but my Accord has been changed at the same interval and it has 220k and no problems. Don't waste your money. The quick change places and the dealerships will of course recommend that you change your oil more often. More money for them.
  • Options
    The dealer is yanking your chain. He/she probably doesn't even know what the nissan manual says for the pathfinder. The dealer I bought mine from also sold Olds, Jeep, Dodge, and Kia along with Nissan. They only have one service dept. for all of these lines. They recommend 3K oil changes too. I doubt the avg. service person knows the maintenance schedule for every different mfg. I change mine around 4K, I tow my boat (4500lbs) quite a bit and in the summer it is very hot here in Kansas City (106 today) so I follow the severe duty. Bottom line follow the maintenance schedule that fits your driving style. 3K oil changes only profit the oil companies and service centers.
  • Options
    pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    Erock53 my manual says every 3750, but am not sure about 7500miles. Anyways I will try to find it again and see what manual really says. Thanks guys.