Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• kaczor1kaczor1 Member Posts: 14
    The mpg thing again, I am consistantly getting about 14.4 mpg on my 01 LE Pathfinder. I do not have a lead foot, although I do live on very curvy back country roads. All of my driving with this type of mpg is on those roads and thru a small rural town (lots of stop and go driving). Does anyone know if this type of mpg is normal for those conditions. I took it to the beach last summer and got wonderful mpg on the highway, but can't seem to crack the problem around home/town areas.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Sorry, I couldn't resist, but seems every board here has the "What tire pressure should I use" and "What octane gas should I use" question. Seems like no one ever heard that the tire pressure specs are printed on the inside of every driver's door or glovebox. Sheesh.

WRT to the gas octane, you might want to read the Gasoline FAQ, section 6.15

Regards,
    TC
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    Awesome link!
    BTW, how's the Lexus?
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Good to see you. The Rex is good, approaching 3500 miles. Simply a joy to drive, the rest of the world seems to melt away when driving it . I'm still babying it until 5000 miles and haven't really let the rpm's go over 3000.

Spring is here(!) in NJ... you out on the track lately? I forget, which/where track do you do race?
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Lycurgus
    I use premium gas per owner's manual

It is also stated that regular gas can be used and the computer chip or whatever of the engine will adjust accordingly. I do not want to let the genius machine adjust to a lesser performance no matter how slight it maybe so I decided after reading suggestions (and I will continue to be reading personal opinions and experiences) that I will just follow the owner's manual

Kaczor1
    After 1,400 miles I am getting 14 mpg. (it is about 13.3 to 14.6)

The 14 mpg is not far from the advertised mileage of 15 city and 19 highway and hopefully it will improve slightly when I put on more miles
    Yeah... it is nice here in NJ. I raced down at Summit Point in WV last month. Was running for 6th position when a faster car did an expert move on me and I did a totally rookie reaction. I ended up off course and finishing 14th out of 32. (*sigh*)

I got my genuine Nissan hitch plus wiring for $290! That is less than invoice ($250 for the hitch and $40 for the harness). The Pathy performed admirably with gear for two race cars loaded in it. Next weekend I am hunting down a trailer but I will probably get a custom aluminum trailer to keep the weight down.

For the people who tow, do you guys use weight distribution hitches? I see why they are so good especially for the Pathy since the rear suspension is pretty soft. With over 500lbs of gear in the truck, the rear sags a bit.
    Just to clarify for the $290 I got the following:
    Nissan Receiver
    Hitch and ball
    Gen-u-wine Nissan Receiver cover
    Wiring harness w/ converter (to work with trailer brakes)

That was the best deal I could find and I got it from Courtesy Nissan who are 10 times better in service than nissanparts.com.

The gen-u-wine (I love that!) hood bug deflector looks pretty cool. I will be install that this weekend. I believe someone on this list just installed one as well.

I am ordering a weight distribution hitch with sway control. I don't want to tow with my nose in the air. Besides it is not safe when you do that. It ain't cheap but I want to do it right.
    -Cheers!
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Lycurgus
    I use premium gas per owner’s manual

It is also stated that regular gas can be used and the computer chip or whatever of the engine will adjust accordingly. I do not want to let the genius machine adjust to a lesser performance so I decided after reading suggestions (and I will continue to be reading personal opinions and experiences) that I will just follow the owner’s manual

Kaczor1
    After 1,400 miles I am getting 14 mpg. (it is about 13.3 to 14.6)
    The 14 mpg is not far from the advertised mileage of 15 city and 19 highway and hopefully it will improve slightly when I put on more miles
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    It would be nice, wouldn't it? But...no. Only the key will open it. The owner's manual gives a detailed description of how to use the key.

Tom
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone tried getting the factory roof rack off? I installed my Yakima crossbars, but when I loosen the knob on the factory rack, it only slides back and forth. It's an '01 LE. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The shimmy has been an intense topic of discussion here and is the subject of two Nissan Technical Services Bulletins. Based on this message board, it appears to be more common with those that have the Bridgestone Duelers. My new vehicle had the Bridgestone tires with the Shimmy "as a feature." Had them changed to Dunlop Grandtreks prior to purchase, and voila, no shimmy. I would find it unusual for a service center not to be aware of the TSB and not to recommend attempting to rectify it until another 2000 miles pass. I'll refer you to ...

Check the FAQ: Item 2c

http://home.earthlink.net/~jambazi/Pathfinder_FAQ.htm

• milsteenmilsteen Member Posts: 2
    I bought an '01 2WD LE two weeks ago and am very happy with it (all options except navigation and entertainment system - $28,390 and 3.9% financing). It is interesting that some of the same issues keep coming up on this message board(tire pressure, gas ratings, etc.) I hope someone from Nissan is reading it. If they are: a bigger back seat, power ports that stay "hot" even when the car is turned off, and a little more headroom with an installed sunroom would be nice.

I too have a steering wheel that is 5 to 10 degrees off to the right when the wheels are straight. Also a little shimmy in the wheel at 65 mph plus, but the service center said they didn't advise aligning or balancing tires until at least 2,000 miles -- time for any flat spots to smooth out. Should I buy this? They basically said you could balance the tires now but they would probably be back out of balance as the tires adjusted from being shipped. Sounds reasonable, but then what do I know.

Anyway, I've learned a lot just from reading the comments here. Nice to have a place to go to find out information before you buy. Thanks to all for contributing.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...Boy, is this board jumping, or what? Not only that, like li_sailor mentioned a dozen or so posts back, this board is one of the more civilized boards on Edmunds. For all the new PF owners, welcome aboard and don't forget to register on the Pathfinder Owners Club.

Couple of things -- Zaino -- Yes, you should be able to wax the PF right out of the dealer's lot. I think Drew explained this a while (couple of months ago?) back. I also use Zaino and I highly recommend it.

Clearcoat -- I accidentally found out that the underside of the hood (open the hood and look under) has a small tag that says whether the vehicle was painted with clearcoat paint or not. So, open up your hoods and check. In my case, I have a 2001 Burnt Cherry LE and it is clearcoat.

New Altima -- Yes, this will be a sweet vehicle. Nissan is really coming out with awesome and terrific-valued products. It is slowly but surely converting me from Honda/Acura to Nissan/Infiniti. I still like Honda/Acura but Nissan/Infiniti is starting to win my favor. Well done, Nissan.
  • pat01pat01 Member Posts: 23
    The shimmy has been an intense topic of discussion here and is the subject of two Nissan Technical Services Bulletins. Based on this message board, it appears to be more common with those that have the Bridgestone Duelers. My new vehicle had the Bridgestone tires with the Shimmy "as a feature." Had them changed to Dunlop Grandtreks prior to purchase, and voila, no shimmy. I would find it unusual for a service center not to be aware of the TSB and not to recommend attempting to rectify it until another 2000 miles pass. I'll refer you to ...

Check the FAQ: Item 2c

http://home.earthlink.net/~jambazi/Pathfinder_FAQ.htm
    You will need to use a T20 torx driver and remove the front and rear clips at each end of the rail system to remove the racks. To remove the rear you will also need to open the rear door to have enough room to slide out the clip. Then all you have to do is loosen the knob and slide them off.
    Good luck,
    Dano
    Got it yesterday and so simple to install. Looks great and I hope it helps keep the rear clean!

Dano
  • kevinmackevinmac Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if the new design is in 2002 0r 2003 and what changes are contemplated?
  • pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    Long time ago I posted on this, so don't worry about not seeing post. You are the first one to say this has happened to them. The same thing happened to me and one time the Nissan Service Manager had to come to my place of work and show me how to get wheel unlocked. What you do is pull down on steering wheel with left hand hard to the left and then let off gently, and with right hand on key and turn key. It works every time. I felt so STUPID but the service manager said he was glad to help. He told me it doesent happen alot but there has been other Pathfinders and it is normal. Seems to be part of the locking system. Mine went several months and didnt do it and just the other day it did it again. The last time I had a little more dificulity because my front wheels were up against a parking lot bumper and the wheels were hard to turn. I was about ready to let air out of my tires and it then worked. Glad to help, hope this works for you.
  • maxzoeymaxzoey Member Posts: 32
    Will keep your fix in mind. I have only noticed the problem sporadically. Thanks for your help.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    nismofreak: Did your nissan hitch come with the latest routing for
    the harness?? Steve
    Has anyone checked the NHTSC on PF brakes??
    Congratulations Danog! I too like the way it looks

I noticed some improvement during rain
    Happy Easter!!!!

Regarding the roof racks, are the aftermarket type made with a lower profile? Not that I don't like the OEM's but they do seem a bit tall. We saw a pre 2000 Pathy and the rack on it was more aerodynamic and was lower, was that an aftermarket rack?

It is raining today and we are going to visit the families so I hope to get good results with the deflector.

Also, I scrolled back a few post and noticed that some posts seem to be off. Was there a problem Drew?

Thanks,
    Dano
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Dano, Town Hall went down for about 20 minutes on Friday and several posts are missing. We are aware of the situation and are trying to rectify it. We apologise sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. We have been working on a database rollback to restore lost items due. In the rollback, while some items were restored the last hour + of posts and activity may not have been captured in the rollback + rollfoward. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Thanks for the update Drew. Keep up the good work.

Dano
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    Danog,
    The Yakima system I installed (locking rail rider 1) sits about the same height as the factory rack. It has round bars however, which are less aerodynamic, but also much stronger and more versatile then the flat bars. I do not know of any "aero" racks that will be lower then the nissan rack. I'm guessing the rack you saw was a nissan rack because not that many aftermarket companies make systems that mount in the existing tracks (only and Yakima and Thule to my knowledge??). Upgrading to a Yakima was a must for me because I have attachments for bikes, skis, and kayaks that all snap on and off the round bars very easily. If you don't need to haul a lot of stuff on top, I'd stick with the factory rack. You can still mount some aftermarket accessories with adapters.
    Hope this helps.
    Goblue96,
    Thanks for the information on racks. We have never used them before so I don't know much about them. Been thinking of purchasing a soft carrier for vacations. Although the Pathy has alot of space, we tend to carry more than we need and could use some extra storage to make the drive more comfortable. The other reason I was asking is because of the turbulence that is created with the factory racks. I had them off for several months and forgot just how loud it can be. I will look into the Yakima and Thule racks just to see if they will help.
    Thanks again!
    Dano
  • draytm01draytm01 Member Posts: 19
    My wife and I are considering selling our Black 2001 EL 4wd Pathfinder with black leather interior. It also has the factory hitch on it.

It was purchased last Spring when 3.5 engine came out. It's in perfect condition with 10,200 miles on it. There is no scratches or digs on it and it has been garaged since it was bought.

The problem we have is that my wife and I had a child 3 months ago and she decided she doesn't want to return to work. To make this possible we have to give up our 2nd baby, the PA!

If anyone may be interested please contact me at draytm01@imsint.com. We could talk prices/questions via em-ail. In am in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks!
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Re: Racks
    Dano,
    One thing to think about it that with the Yakima round bars you can rotate all the accessories down and out of the wind.
    With the fairing on the front of the rack to direct the wind over the bars, and the ski and bike racks turned down, the Yak is quieter than the naked factory rack.

good luck.
    gritz

p.s. my brother-in-law has the Space Case on top of his Yak and it is very quiet at highway speeds.
  • philipc1philipc1 Member Posts: 10
    BIKE CARRIER FOR SALE

I HAVE A RHODE GEAR 2 BIKE CARRIER THAT FITS OVER A SPARE TIRE THAT I RARELY USED FOR MY 95 PATHFINDER SE. SINCE I BOUGHT A NEW PATHFINDER, I NOW NEED THE BIKE CARRIER WITH THE HITCH MOUNT. IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE A BIKE CARRIER FOR A SPARE TIRE MOUNT THAT IS IN GREAT CONDITION, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT PJC22@MSN.COM
    RETAILS FOR $99.00 NEW. WILL SELL CHEAP! THANKS.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You'd probably have better luck on eBay....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • draytm01draytm01 Member Posts: 19
    Good Point Steve! Just came here first since I have been posting on this board for over a year and figured I got most of my good ideas for the PF here...
    Mark
  • path01path01 Member Posts: 14
    I posted this message earlier, but it got lost somehow. Is there some type of exhaust finisher that would work and look good on a Pathfinder? Does the QX4 come with one? The tailpipe on the Pathfiner has an odd shape which appears to include a cooling baffle of sorts and I do not wish to cut it off in order to install a tip, but I do want a nicer looking termination for the pipe which has already discolored in places.
    Thanks,
    Ron
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Hi Y'all ...

1/ I am driving a 01 PF SE AWD which has had no problems except a wheel alignment to fix my cockeyed steering wheel. While the PF was going straight, wheel was off 5 to 10 degrees to the right...all seems well at this time.

2/ Is there a trailer hitch on the market that can be installed without any drilling??? I would like to use it to attach a bike carrier.

3/ Alternatively, does Thule or Yakima offer roof mounted bike carriers which will fit the OEM roof racks on this fine SUV???

4/ The PF is such an excellent vehicle with a fine 240 HP engine. I just love opening the throttle and hearing the growl! It is a shame it goes thru premium fuel like a thirsty camel! Premium here in Toronto popped today to approx. $0.90 Cdn per liter or $2.09 U.S. per gallon...OUCH! I wish my NASDAQ stocks would pop as often as fuel in Toronto!
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    ballfire8888,

re: Hitch
    The frame is pre-drilled and tapped (threaded) to accept hitches. I installed a tubular class III from Draw-Tite and its wiring harness in about an hour. Total cost twas under $200 US.

re: Factory Rack add ons.
    I know that Yakima has Mighty Mounts that fit the factory crossbars that can be used with ski, bike and some baskets. It is a bit limiting for bike racks, you can only use the style that attaches to the frame and keeps both wheels on the bike. The fork mounted racks aren't adaptable.

note: It has been mentioned here that your Canadian factory crossbars are a bit wider that what the Yak catalog lists for the Mighty Mounts, so ask around to get the correct size if you choose that route.
    Ouch!
    Just had my tag renewed for the first time. A new law was passed in Alabama which requires you to pay for a year in advance. I do not completely understand the law as of yet. But what I do know is that after paying Income tax for the third year in a row and this tag fee really SUCKS!!!!!
    The worst thing is not much I can do about it.

Ballfire8888,
    I don't have much to help with on your questions but just wanted to say hello. Its been awhile since I made it to Toronto but loved it. Hope to make it back soon. Maybe I can get the company to send me back right now and go see the Leafs playing.

Dano
  • sscherrsscherr Member Posts: 4
    I have called every dealer in the Baltimore area to purchase a loaded Pathfinder LE AWD with everything but navigation and entertainment.

I have an offer of $31,091. MSRP is $35,242 and invoice is $31,916. I can get the color I want (Bronze gray).

I got a call from the manager who said that they will sell it to me at that price, but I am leaving them a $91.00 profit after rebate and incentives. He has faxed me the supporting documentation. He also said that I would "throw in a couple of hundred dollars", that would be nice.

I assume this is my best deal. What are your thoughts? Why do I feel guilty?

Also, anyone still having trouble with shuffle mode and CDR's? Better not to play CDR's at all?

Scott R. Scherr
    sscherr,
    I have been using shuffle mode and CDRs exclusively in my Pathy. I do think that the issue was either super thick disks or disks with sticky labels. The CDRs that I have been using do not have sticky labels on them.

YMMV
  • path63path63 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone replaced the 'Nissan' emblem on the front grill and the 'Pathfinder LE 3.5' emblem on the back with gold emblems? If so where was it purchased and was it difficult to install?
    Can I ask you guys to give me your opinions on side window deflectors? I would like to purchase them soon and was wondering if anyone has used the weathertechs? The no drilling or tape sounds like a better choice to me. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Dano
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Hi Ballfire

I just went through the process of retrofitting my 48" crossbars from my old Pathfinder to my new one. You will need to buy locking railriders, which adapt to the round bars and the tracks on the roof. The factory crossbars are somewhat lower, but much less capacity to hold gear. I bought the fairing, which reduces the wind noise, especially with the Yakima Steelhead bike rack. US models of the Pathfinder have the same tracks as the Canadian models, but the crossbars are different, so you may have difficulty finding the correct 'mightmounts'. I am pleased with my setup using the 48" bars, the fairing and the railriders. Should you wish, I can post a photo showing the factory crossbar installed beside the Yakima crossbars.

Woody, here in British Columbia
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Hi:

The fuel gauge on my 2001 Pathfinder goes from full to 3/4 of a tank in 100 km (65 miles). It takes about another 300 km to go from 3/4 to 1/4, and seems to show an increase in fuel level when going up hill and a similar reduction in fuel level when going downhill. This pattern has been repeated with great consistency. The dealer has not had any queries about this.

Has anyone experienced this, and what was done to rectify it?

Thanks
  • ubrsfubrsf Member Posts: 51
    How come almost everyone on this board just asks questions? and nobody seems to get an answer. What a frustrating board. out 100 questions only one or two will get answers. Come on people lets work together here!
  • batchelor22batchelor22 Member Posts: 10
    Woody,

I also have a 2001 Pathfinder and live in beautiful BC. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I have experienced driving up and down hills. I would like to get 300km between 3/4 and 1/4 of a tank but for the most part get 400km from a full tank of gas. I have determined that this is just normal for this vehicle after 14,000 km and thus just measure driving range left based on this. The first quarter from full to 3/4 seems very small compared to other vehicles I have driven and owned.
  • dell26dell26 Member Posts: 9
    I recently purchased mine from nissan, and they are great. They give a sporter look to the jeep, and allow you to crack your windows in the rain, for ventilation. They are not hard ot install. All you have to do is make sure that the area you are applying the double sided tape on the deflectors is clean. The package from nissan even includes alcohol pads to make this easy. Just get them and enjoy. I do well over 55 miles an hour, and when I drive and have not had any problems.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    I just got back yesterday from driving 2700 miles in 4 days over Easter. Ran into some crazy snow storms going over passes in MT. Saw one truck slide off the road and flip. The roads were really bad but Pfinder did well. With cruise on 80 entire trip, I averaged 18 mpg going from 2000ft in WA to 6000 ft in CO with a heavy load of furniture (rear sagging a little). Coming back, I got around 20 mpg going against strong head winds. I just passed 9000 miles with no reported problems. In the entire trip, I saw quite a few cars broken down on the highway, all American except for an early 1980's Honda. By the way, I just posted some pics if anyone wants to see them for the fun of it. Just spent about 4.5 hrs on the pfinder today detailing it and fixing rock chips in paint.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1647348&a=12617010&f=0&vt=vp

• rcsuttonrcsutton Member Posts: 35
    They are great. Mount inside of the frame, very easy. I also have a set on my 01 Yukon XL.
  • starcheckerstarchecker Member Posts: 28
    Dont feel guilty they are totally lying. I can't beleive they asked you to throw in a few hundred extra. I got the exact same thing for 31,300 and that paid for a $400 ad fee. I'm not sure that is legit or not, it seems to be regional, so I don't know if your dealer has that or not. Either way they have a 1% floor allowance which is $300 pure profit, plus a 2% holdback. which ads $600. That $600 gets eaten up on a prorated basis over 90 days. If it has been on the lot 90 days they lose that $600 bucks, but then they should be grateful you are taking it off the lot, or it will start costing them. Dont feel guilty, be thrilled they are making a lot more than $90, possibly $1000. That's plenty. The only thing to watch out for is sometimes they give you crappy service or expect you to take delivery if it has some minor defects or they scratched it up on dealer prep. Don't let them get away with it. You are buying a new car for a new car price, and they ARE making money! So you deserve the royal treatment.

Hope this helps. If you still feel guilty, just do some of the scheduled maintenance at their dealership. That will pad their wallet plenty. That is where new car lots make most of their money anyway.
  • rcsuttonrcsutton Member Posts: 35
    jmtreetop What make front wind deflector do you have? It looks nice. BTW you might want to consider Airsprings, a great investment.
    Bob
    S. Fl
  • skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    Hi,

I'm from Baltimore as well, but now live in Delaware. About a month ago, I was heavily looking for the same vehicle - Bronzed Gray with Charcoal Leather interior with all options except NAV and entertainment system. At that time, I received a no-haggle quote of $31,698 from CarMax in White Marsh, Maryland. CarMax sells both new and used cars. It is a new car dealer for Nissan at the White Marsh location. CarMax is like Saturn from a sales perspective. Everyone gets the same advertised price. Other dealers could not bet the price. They told me that CarMax does so much volume that it can afford to offer lower prices. Check out the CarMax web site.(www.carmax.com) You can search its entire inventory of new and used vehicles. It shows the mileage (on used cars), a picture, and the price for every vehicle in inventory. Based upon my experience, I think you have been offered a great price. There must be some type of dealer or retail incentive going on now. I eventually decided to wait until next year when the 2003 full-size Pathfinder is released. Oh yes. The PF will be completely re designed. I'd hate to buy a $30K vehicle only for a new and much improved version to be on the horizon so soon. Nissan always releases re designed vehicles in the spring instead of the fall. Hence, I anticipate the 2003 PF will be available by next May/June. (Look at the 2002 Infiniti Q45, its available now. The same was true of the 2000 Maxima, which was on sale in May/June of 1999.) Good luck!
    jmtreetop
    Great pictures! I just cannot get tired looking at the PF, pictures or real. I still look at my PF for a long time after I clean it.

Your PF is just beautiful and very shiny! Good job in detailing! What did you use to polish?