Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    The Nissan Murano will be available in November as a 2003 model. Below is a link for pictures click multimedia, photolibrary, nissan vehicles then 2003 models.

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/2003vehicles/murano/index.shtml
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    Just got back from our first lengthy excursion in our new Pathfinder. Got pretty good mileage on practically all highway driving—20.5 mpg. One thing that has been bothering me awhile is that the ride is sometimes jiggly. This happens only on the highway, concrete strips with the channel grooves. Speed is not important and it happens on the same stretch of highway. It’s a very cyclical, periodical movement and it feels like there is also a forward (surge) motion as well. The closest analogy that I can make is that it’s like riding on a washboard surface that is equidistant apart with the same height. I find it very uncomfortable as this happen on about 50 % of my freeway driving. My little boy likes to hum and hear the pitch of his voice go up and down in staccato bursts on the bumps! My wife thing it’s the nature of the (SUV) beast. I hope I’m not being over-sensitive but does anyone have any comments? I’m running Bridgestone Dueler HT 689 stock tires. Tire air pressure is 30-32 psi. The steering wheel does not shake violently as if the tires are out of balance. I hope I’m not being over-sensitive but does anyone have any comments?

p.s. all my relatives loved my PF!!

Happy Pathfinding!!

Steve
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I have an '01 PF with Bridgestone Dueler H/T's. I now have 35K miles on the clock, and it appears I will get another 5 to 10K out of the tires, maybe even more. I have always run them at the factory recommended 26 PSI. I have tried higher pressures as recommended by some members here, and was not happy with the results...I don't think handling was improved, and the ride was less comfortable.

Although I have rotated these tires only twice in 35K miles, they are wearing evenly. I have not experienced the outside edge wear that others have reported here, and I attribute this to my driving rather conservatively much of the time as far as turns and curves go. In fact, most of my driving is on the freeway. I assume SUV's have more of a tendency to chew up the outside edges of tires due to the higher center of gravity, especially in hard turns and curves.

Despite all the negative comments expressed here about these tires, I have been relatively satisfied with them. I do virtually no off roading, and the Duelers seem to be good enough in 2 feet of unplowed snow, so I don't think I'm looking for a tire with a more aggressive tread pattern. In fact, I would prefer a tire biased towards good handling, wet stopping ability and a comfortable, quiet highway ride rather than strong off road ability.

My truck does suffer from the occasional 60-65 MPH steering wheel shimmy that has been discussed here many times, but based on the comments here in the past it seems clear that the shimmy problem is not related to the Bridgestone tires, as many owners with other tires have reported the same problem.

Any recommendations regarding replacement tires? What have your experiences been? Thanks in advance for your comments.
  • jsmithbc5jsmithbc5 Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed a few postings requesting information on replacement tires. I replaced the OEM Dunlops on my 01' SE with Toyo Open Country A/T's in same size and can't recommend them highly enough. The ride/handling/and traction is superb.

I ordered them from etires.com and their service was very good. Seems to me they were about $400 w/ quick shipping. UPS lost one of them and etires gave me no hassle in sending another. They are tied with Michelin in JD Powers Report for owner satisfaction, have a treadware rating of 500, temperature A, and traction A.

I don't think you can go wrong with'em, just rotate them often (I do with each oil change, 5K)
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I've been toying with the idea of picking up a sport performance wheel/tire package for my 2001 LE for summer onroad driving. I know the 2002s and QX4 run a 245/65/17 setup. Has anybody tested or run lower profile setups to check for interference? I'm thinking maybe 255/55/18...

Thanks.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Airlift Installation:
    The shop you used did not install the air bags properly. They should have removed the bump stops, not cut them off. The bump stops are easily removable with a 12mm socket and extension.
    They also should have drilled out the hole in the lower spring perch to 3/4", even if they did install the plastic disc under the bag. Failure to drill out the hole to 3/4" will cause the air lines and hose clamps to pinch during suspension movement. Eventually the air lines will break open from the constant contact with the too-small hole. (I know this from experience. I installed the airlift myself, and I only had a 1/2" drill bit, so I got lazy and figured it would be OK. Not! image)
    Visit this link to see photos of my installation

Pathfinder Jiggles on freeway expansion joints:
    Sorry to break this news to you, but this phenomenon is caused by the Pathfinder's wheelbase and suspension. In fact, this is not unique to the Pathfinder; many other vehicles with similar wheelbase have the same problem. The effect is more noticeable at speeds between 35-50mph, but lessens above 60mph. (I agree with you that it's quite annoying! image)
  • stockstimingstockstiming Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for your input. I emailed Air Lift and their response was basically the same as yours. I called the shop and they were very willing to redo that part of the work. I'll update here after they redo it.

By the way, after the initial installation, the Pathy door was open so I closed it. Lo and behold the doors had been locked by the shop people (accidentally, I'm sure) so I was locked out. They called a guy in that they use for such things and he managed to slip a thin bent rod down along the window glass and up the inside to push the electric lock to open the doors. Then he couldn't get the rod out, so he had to pull the inside of the door panel out so he could get his hand inside to free up the rod. Today I noticed that he had put some dimples in the outer skin of the door. I'm now waiting to hear from his company so I can tell them they need to pay for it to be fixed.

Some days just don't go well. Bad Karma or something.
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    I suspect that the rough ride of Pathfinder(compared to Lexus RX 300) is mainly due to its solid axis rear suspension. Nissan missed a opportunity when they re-designed Pathfinder in late 1995 and early 1996. Pathfinder probably was the only unibody SUV on the market then, but it did not get the rear independent suspension. Less than two years later, the Lexus 300 came out with independent rear suspension and hence much better rear leg room, and became a benchmark of SUV ride. But Nissan was in the verge of bankruptcy in the middle 90s, so all they could think of was to save cost. And they did not even give the Maxima a independent rear suspension. Ever wonder why Maxima seems always cost $1,000 less than similarly equipped Camry and Accord? Now Nissan is in better shape, so they will soon offer the Murano. With its independent suspension, it will have much better rear leg room and probably better ride.
    PF01 is correct in that part of the reason for the jiggly ride is the solid rear axle...everything else being equal the rear suspension would be more compliant if it were independent. However, the PF has the softest highway ride of any current mid-size SUV with a solid rear axle...this is because it has softer springs than it's solid axle competitors such as 4 Runner, Rodeo, Passport, Grand Cherokee, Explorer (prior to 2002), Blazer, etc. The tradeoff of the softer springs is that PF's bottom out quite easily when carrying only a moderate load or pulling a trailer with anything more than a minimal tonque load...that's why all the mentions of the Air Lift Kit here. What really intruiges me is the towing capacity of the '02 Explorer despite the independent rear suspension, and that the '03 Expedition will also have an even greater towing capacity with an independent rear suspension. I always assumed a solid rear axle was a requirement for heavy towing.

I agree with PF01 that it would have been nice if Nissan had changed to an independent rear suspension the last time the PF was totally redesigned in the mid 90's, but I disagree that competition dictated the need to.

The PF competes well against its competition - the truck based SUV's listed above (of course one could that the PF is not really a truck based SUV given it's unibody construction...so perhaps there's a third category...non car based SUV's with unibody construction...this would include the PF and Grand Cherokee) Anyway, the RX300 is not really a direct competitor of the PF. It is a car based SUV that does not have the off road nor towing capabilities of a truck based SUV like the PF. The trade off is that the RX300 has a car like ride, and the PF has a more jiggly (trucklike) ride.

The opportunity Nissan missed was to not have a car based SUV before now...but PF01 is correct...development funding was limited at Nissan, and a car based SUV may have looked like a big gamble 7 years ago.

I do disagree with PF01 on one point. There were at least two other significant unibody SUV's on the market in the mid 90's...the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee.
    I have an '01 PF, and I'm curious what others' experiences have been with the Airlift kit.

What pressure seems to work best for light load conditions? Does the kit have any effect on ride or handling during light load conditions? Any additional noise from the suspension?

I frequently tow a boat and trailer totalling about 4300 lbs., and I estimate the trailer tonque weight to be about 100-125 pounds. Given that the towed weight is so close to the 5000 lb. towing capacity specified by Nissan, I try to minimize passengers and cargo in the truck when I'm towing. Does anyone have experience with the Airlift kit at a similar tonque weight? What inflation pressure do you use? Does it significantly improve the ride and handling when towing? Currently my rear suspension bottoms out frequently when towing, and at night I'm blinding oncoming drivers with my headlights.

Thanks in advance for your input.
  • cacheguycacheguy Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new here. I Live in Utah (GO 2002 OLYMPICS!!) I worked for SLOC during the Olys and Para-Olys. I have always had a travel trailer and now would like to tow it with an SUV. I wonder if anyone has done this. My trailer has a gross weight of about 4000 lbs and a tongue weight of about 400 lbs. I use an equalizer hitch. Has anyone successfully pulled this much load with a midsize SUV? Which one/s? I really like the Pathfinder's power and would like to get one but I do need to tow the trailer.
    Cacheguy, see my post above (#4661). I have been towing slightly more weight than you for 2 years with my '01 PF with auto trans. The engine and drivetrain seem to handle this much weight relatively easily so long as you take it easy on the hills and manually downshift the trans to keep it from heating up.

I know you have some big hills in your area...you might need to go all the way down to second gear to pull a 4000 lb. trailer up the hill from SLC to Park City with a PF! I do have to climb a very steep hill for about a mile to get to my house and I do get a wiff of burnt trans fluid on a hot day.

If using the truck for towing, the owner's manual calls for an engine oil and filter change every 3750 miles or 3 months, a trans fluid change every 30K miles or two years, and if equipped with a limited slip differential, a rear diff gear oil change every 15K or once a year. I am installing an air lift kit to assist the rear coil springs...not certain if you will need to given the equalizer hitch you use. Note that model year 2000 and earlier PF's have a much less powerful engine. Although Nissan rated their towing capacity as 5000 lbs. (same as model year '01 and '02) I would assume they would not be as adept at towing 4000 lbs. One last thing...the stated towing capacity for late model PF's with manual transmissions is only 3500 lbs. versus 5000 for an automatic.

Previously I had a Grand Cherokee with a V-8, and the PF seems to be better at pulling my boat (although the Jeep did seem to handle the tongue weight better).
    I've made a number of trips towing my 3800 lb. boat/trailer to and from the Colorado River. There's only one significant grade outside of Indio, CA. when heading east to go out there and my '01 Pathy (auto.) pulls it fine if I downshift. The tongue weight is 320 lbs. I'm the one that just installed the Air Lift kit because the rear end sagged so much while towing.
  • drbigzdrbigz Member Posts: 21
    I bought a demo 2001 Pathfinder LE without leather or navigation system with 5800 miles for $26,000. I also bought the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. Was this a good deal?
    Stockstiming- I'd appreciate it if you could read my post #4661 regarding the Airlift kit and let me know your experiences. Thanks.
    I'm still sorting out problems with the shop that installed my Air Lift kit, so I can't really give you any feedback on how well it works. I'm sure it's going to do well. xplorx4 could probably give you good info on this, although he may only tow a jet ski trailer.
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    For drbigz - If you want to scroll back on the posts to my good deal at message post # 4593 maybe it will help you evaluate yours. I got leather, no navi, no 100K warranty.
  • robc5robc5 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone. I'm new to writing on this message board, but have been reading it for almost a year. Much of the topics have been very informative and helpful, so I wanted to say thanks for all the good conversations!

My wife and I just bought a beautiful, black 2002 4wd PF SE with pop. package/auto climate control plus a tow hitch for 27k (and 3.9 financing)(out the door--fees, tax, etc.--for low 29k). I think this is a good deal, but am interested in other's opinions, as my dad is now seriously thinking about going back to the same dealer and getting one at the same price. It was a positive dealer experience overall, but it took almost 6 hours to close the deal.

Also, when I asked the dealer about breaking the engine in, he said just to not drive a constant speed for more than a couple minutes for the first 500 miles. Any other suggestions? I want this car to last for 15+ years, so I wanna break it and maintain it very well. Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations on the new PF and welcome to Edmund's Town Hall!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    The air springs must be kept inflated to a minimum of 5psi to prevent damage. This is no problem if the compressor kit is also installed, because there is a pressure switch that automatically maintains the minimum pressure.

Under normal conditions, 5-10psi is fine. Most of the load bearing is done by the stock springs, and it's not necessary to provide extra support. Plus, your ride might be a little harsher.

With passengers aboard, 15psi is pretty good.

For towing a boat (150 lb. tongue weight) I have gone as high as 25psi.

The max recommended pressure is 35psi, which results in a very harsh, nearly 'springless' ride with an empty vehicle.

In addition to the Air Lift springs, I installed manually adjustable aftermarket shocks which help dampen the vertical oscillations of the springs when the rear is heavily loaded. (Springs carry the load, shocks dampen the spring motion.)

When I tow or carry passengers/cargo, I tend to use 15-20psi and a middle setting on the shocks (Rancho 9000 shocks, part number RS9116).

I should add that since installing the air springs I have not bottomed out once. Nice.

• rorothererorothere Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know why the 2002 Pathfinder LE has a fixed antenna rather than a power antenna??
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Topless,

I used a rubber tie-down that has an s hook on each end. I wrapped the tie down around one of the brackets that holds the rear bumper in place and the muffler just behind the canister. My father-in-law had a heat resistant material he uses for welding which I placed beneath the tie-down were it wraps around the tail pipe. The end result is it holds the exhaust about an inch away from the hitch frame and I have not had a problem with this setup since I rigged it up last August.

I think any type of bungie or rubber tie down will work in holding the muffler away from the hitch.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've been out of town.
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    drbigz-
    You've got a Pathfinder. That right there says you got a good deal. I wouldn' worry about if you got a good deal or could've gotten a better one. You already have it am I 'm sure you're happy with it. Enjoy! and welcome to the club with people with good taste.

robc5-
    Black is beautiful!! I checked your price on carsdirect.com and assumed you also got auto tranny. The price was close. Sometimes if you tell the dealer you looking at an auto-locator such as carsdirect, they wil say they will beat the price. I mean why not, if you can get the car for less elsewhere? I was very happy with the dealer treatment I got. So I didn't mind paying a little more than carsdirect. By the way there are only two Nissan dealerships in San Diego County. One which has about seven outlets and as they call themselves the "other Nissan dealer".
    Manual on break-in was 1,000 miles varying speed. I would also go easy on the brakes. Loved my Pf so much I put 1K in about 3 weeks.

Happy Pathfinding!!!

Steve
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    Got my Nissan picnic backpack today. You can get it by going to http:\\nissandriven.com and ordering the brochure for the pathfinder. You can choose the backpack or a swiss army watch. The backback is very high quality, with cups, plates, silverware, napkins, etc for four plus a cutting board, knife - you name it. All you gotta do is take a test drive and have the dealer fill out the card and mail it in.

The Altima offers a carry bag (maybe for a laptop) or a nice watch. I haven't ordered any other brochures but I'm sure they also have stuff. Infiniti does not do this.
    rorothere: I had this same question recently and posted message #4598 asking if there was a power option available. If you go back to this message and read through the posts, you'll find useful info. I found you can buy the power antenna online for about $175-$190. I plan to do this within the next month. I'm still wondering how inconvenient it is to remove the fixed antenna when going into the automatic wash (does it survive the brushes?).
    If you're still a little miffed that your temperature gauge reads 10 degrees too high, the rear suspension bottoms out too easily, or you have a steering wheel shimmy that requires precision tire balancing, be glad you're not one of the owners of the cars involved in these recalls:

GM announces recall of 1.9million cars
  • rorothererorothere Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Crete. Excellent info trail. I'll probably just stick with the fixed and remove it before entering the car wash. Have not yet washed it. My wife got the PF last Tuesday and I got my Altima SL this past Saturday. Happy so far. On the antenna, I figured that since the power antenna is mentioned in the manual it must be part of the top level PF. Guess they missed that page in the manual update this year, or last, whenever it was dropped.

Thanks again, Crete.

Enjoy yours.

rorothere
  • bhf1bhf1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a frequent reader, but a new poster. Thought you'd like to hear about my delivery experience last night. I've posted my letter to the GM of the dealership below.

Dear GM:

This letter is regarding a Pathfinder LE that was delivered to me this evening. To say I am unhappy with this car would be an understatement. I have the following issues with the car:

• The mobile entertainment system is a cheap substitute for the factory model. I was told I would have the same system installed as the factory model. As I mentioned over the phone, the VCR was installed in the wrong location. Equally important, the video screen installation was poorly done. The ceiling rattles over every bump and the interior ceiling itself is flimsy.
    • The car has almost 400 miles on it. Matt said the car was driven from the coast. I was told that the car would be delivered on the back of a truck. I am basically paying full price for a semi-demo car. I have not viewed the exterior in daylight but can imagine that there will be scratches on the front end from being driven on the interstate.
    • The car has a strange smell. It smells like a car that is two years-old, not a new car.
    • The hitch was not installed as the factory hitch is. The trailer plug was left loose in the interior instead of integrated with the hitch as it is supposed to be. The step for the hitch is missing as well.
    • There are scratches in the dash wood trim.

You can have the salesman bring you up-to-date with the delays that I had in having this car delivered in a timely fashion as promised.

At this point, this car is completely unacceptable. Given some of the fundamental problems mentioned above, I will not accept this car. Therefore, we can review the other Pathfinders you have on the lot, and we can take delivery of one of those. For example, you have an almost identical car as the one I ordered, but it has the navigation system. I would be willing to buy that car and pay $1,500 more than I paid for the car that was delivered.

The bottom line is that I will not accept a car that has had any options installed by the dealership, as I have absolutely no confidence in the installation capabilities there.

It is my sincere hope that we can reach some kind of compromise on this issue so that I do not have to walk away altogether.

Me again...I'm probably in for quite a fight on this one, but we'll see.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I can understand your unwillingness to accept the vehicle in question...but I'm confused about the situation...if you didn't accept it, what's the problem? Are you saying that the dealer is claiming that you have to accept it and won't give you a different one or return your deposit?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Your bargaining power will be diminished if you actually did take delivery. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    When you refresh a page after posting a message, the software creates a duplicate of your post. You should try going to a different section of Town Hall and returning before doing a refresh in order to avoid this problem.

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • bhf1bhf1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the multiple postings. I think I deleted them all.
    For rorothere - One of the responses I read from my initial post was that Path's purchased and delivered in Canada come with a power antenna as standard OEM. I have the top of the line Path (LE 4WD) bought in Calif and it has the fixed antenna. The manual I have says nothing about Canadian models sold with the power option. Maybe it isn't of any importance in selling the SUV either in the states or in Canada, so not much is mentioned of it.
    Has anyone had a problem with the universal homelink transmitter? I programmed the code correctly from my garage door opener, and the feature seemed to be working fine for a few days.
    But over the last two days it isn't working consistently. Is there a limitation on the angle or distance the transmitter needs to be from the receiever on the garage door opener. Do you have to pull down the sun visor to get a better transmission? I can't seem to find a consistent location of where it works or doesn't work.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I have a '99.5 with the fixed antenna. I have never taken the antenna off before entering a car wash. I have had no problems with it. Come to think of it, I never took the antenna off of my '83 Bronco, either.
    Yesterday the shop redid the job and it worked out well. The drilled holes didn't look quite 3/4" dia. but the guy swore they were.

When I let the air out of the system until the automatic sensor starts the compressor up, the gage shows about 0 psi. I called Air Lift and they said the gage isn't very accurate at low pressures. He suggested I put a test gage on the system to check at that low pressure and if not correct, there is an adjusting screw at the back of the gage to adjust the sensor so that the system is more accurate at the minimum pressure (maintains it at 5 psi.) He also said there should be an air stem in the system that I could put a gage on to make the check. I'll have to look under the car to see if they installed that. Knowing how sloppy they were with the installation, it's probably not there.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Unless you're already doing this, try holding the button down continuously as you drive towards your garage...I find that short bursts are very inconsistent in their results.
    Almost 3 mpg higher than on premium. The car (2001 LE, no 4WD) seemed a little peppier, too. I'll put another tank of regular in after I run this premium tank down, just to see if it was a fluke.

Anyone else have this experience?
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    I am getting ready to order my 3rd PF (96,99,02). Obviously I love my PF's. Great reliability,value. Since my present one has the smaller engine which runs on regular, I asked my dealer,who has turned into a good friend, about the new one. He says you can use regular on 02 with no problem.
    I also am reading about users changing to synthetic oils. 1. What are pros & cons? 2. Some say change to ALL synthetics. What other fluids? I know PF are due for complete redo in 04, but I will have to wait for 05 or06 for next one.
    Yes, I know you can run regular gas, but the engine supposedly doesn't like it. I would definitely run premium when I tow "da boat."

I've already switched to Mobil1 engine oil which gave me a slight increase in mileage. I've been using this oil in my other cars for years. I don't use synthetics for any of the other lubricants.
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    The new 3.5 engine is set up to run most efficiently on fuel with an octane rating of around 91(AKI index). The owner's manual says to use fuel with a minimum rating of 87, but when you do so, the engine's knock sensor will retard the ignition timing to allow for it. That will result in at least some decrease in fuel mileage and a noticeable decrease in performance. I have checked my mileage carefully and find that I get almost 1 mpg (hwy) less when using 87 octane than when using 92. Performance is noticeable affected by the cheaper fuel, but I can't say that I've heard any spark knock. As a compromise I usually fill up with mid-grade (89). BTW, you can use lower octane if you live at high altitude.
  • jgobravesjgobraves Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at a 2002 Pathfinder LE with the leather package, limited slip deiferental, microfilter, floor mats, body side moldings, and wind deflector. msrp is $34603.00. I can get it for $31603.00 plus 3.9% finacing for 60 months.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I test-drove a new LE Pathfinder yesterday. I really like this SUV, but one thing is killing me. The automatic transmission! Most of the time the transmission shifts fine, but if you are going 60 mph and floor it to pass someone, the transmission just seems to slip for a second. There is no positive shift. I drive my trucks hard and kick them down a lot. The Pathfinder seems to go to third gear, then to second, kind of slipping along the way.

I currently have a 99 Blazer and 2k Silverado. Both Chevy's just drop to second almost as fast as you floor it. The Nissan dealer says this is normal so you don't feel the shift. It seems as if Nissan is limiting the power to protect the transmission during the shifts.

Is this normal? Should I drive another one?
    for jgobraves - If you want to scroll back on the posts to my good deal at message post # 4593 maybe it will help you evaluate yours. I got everyhting you are looking at and I am very pleased with mine. I'd say go for it.
    So what's the deal on me getting 3 mpg more on regular!? (Peppier, too.) I'll post when I go through my next tank of regular to show what I calculated my mileage for that tank.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Go get an Infiniti QX4. You can get one with all the same things you are talking about and an automatic antenna, wood grain trimmed steering wheel as well as a much classier exterior look for only $33,000 and only 2.9% financing over 60 months. Your payments will be no more than on the Pathy but you will own an Infiniti. The dealer treats you with much more respect and you will love it. I love mine.
  • stuartboniastuartbonia Member Posts: 56
    The QX4 I priced on Carsdirect comes out to $35,389.

A similarly optioned Pathfinder LE comes out to $31,398 (Leather, roof, limited slip ....)

What makes the QX4 worth an extra $4,000?
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    Can't tell you why you appear to be getting better gas mileage on regular, because the 3.5 engine has to retard ignition timing 2-5 degrees to deal with it. That results in a less efficient burn and lower fuel economy. I can tell you, without reservation, that it cannot be "peppier" running on regular. I am no proponent of burning premium fuel in vehicles not designed for it; most drivers who buy it for their cars designed to burn regular are just wasting their money. The new Pathfinder engine, however, was designed to burn 91 octane fuel most efficiently. It may run acceptably on regular, but it does so to the detriment of performance.
    I suppose it's possible that the timing was set wrong, but I doubt it. If the next tank gives a similar reading, I'll have Nissan check the timing when I visit them next. I suspect I won't get that kind of mileage increase with my next tank of regular.

Has anyone else checked their mileage on regular here?
  • jecklesjeckles Member Posts: 87
    Lubrication
    As far synethics go, there is the differentials, transmission, and engine oil. Low on the priority list, but also on the lubrican list is the power steering and brake fluid (yes you should change your brake fluid at least ever 2-3 years).

I slowly (as time permits) migrate to 100% synthetics in all of these areas... Cost is minimal (except for motor oil) and the benefits are substantial.

I favor Redline and Amsoil (two of the oldest and best) for my vehicles. Send me a note if you need more info on where to find them.

For Fuel Economy...

Don't want to be a sourpuss, but you can't easily base fuel economy on just one tank. There are just too many variables in the equation to get a reliable number from one data point.