Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3 Reliability

2»

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    rwillobee said:

OK, a weird question on another X3 I found online: aren't the seat-belts supposed to match the interior color? I'm looking at a beige interior with black belts. ???

I'm pretty sure that's typical for an X3. We had gray interior, but also had black belts, I think.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I just got new tires (Michelin Defenders) on my 2009 X3 and now I have the dreaded transfer case rumble/vibration happening. Will this just be an annoyance or will it damage my transfer case? If so, how long will it take? Will getting "BMW approved" tires really make it go away? It would be a shame to wast the $750 I just spent on the new tires. Thanks in advance for your replies!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Did the problem start when the tires were installed? Tires shouldn't cause it; I've never put BMW approved tires on my X3- no issues at all.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• dbesh285dbesh285 Member Posts: 3

One thing that really struck me is how much folks spend at the dealer for repairs.
    Myself, for any car, I have never gone to the dealer for service unless it's free like warranty work. There are certainly enough (or maybe not?) independent mechanics around with great experience, and while they may be limited on how much they can discount bimmer parts, generally their labor charges are more reasonable and they are generally easier to approach when you have questions.
    Tire Rack can get you tires as well as 'reasonably' priced brake parts. Do ALL serviceable parts HAVE to have a BMW part number, instead of an equivalent manufacturer?
    The dealer I have gone to for service in Hondas, Acuras, Infiniti (serviced by Nissan) oil changes have ranged from $15 to 30 if I bring in my own oil and a mfr. filter. Or I do my own, the same goes for air & cabin filters, etc. I am not surprised BMW charges more as far as that goes, many other European based brands do as well.
    I am considering an X3 for our next vehicle purchase. No shortage of other options, but driving experience and at least a modicum of performance is a priority for me.
    I don't know if the over-engineered aspects have been resolved. I can recall when my early M3 cost me over $300 for a metal conduit. BMW engineering thought a cute way to manage spark cables was to run them all through a metal tube. Of course, over time the cabling wold deteriorate and the engine would be missing like crazy for a short time, before it finally stalled. The only other one I owned, was a 1969 2002 sedan. The simplicity in contrast, with the attention to detail in the handling, braking, and engine response was spot on in BMW fashion.