Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I am going either next Wednesday or Thursday, that's when the full scope of the Manufacturers products are revealed.The first few days shows a limited selection.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I wouldn't pin too much hope on the new TSX. From what I've gathered so far, the question is "why did Acura even bother?"
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'm guessing that Acura didn't want to mess with success- the current TSX has sold extremely well and has extremely strong resale values.

I kind of like the '09 TSX- the design language works better on the TSX than the RL or the MDX.
  • willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    There aren't any salespeople at the Auto Shows. They'll give a handout with all the local area dealerships.
    The disappointment is that, aside from the similar styling, the '09 gains size and weight, but also suffers a drop in hp. :cry: Doesn't sound like a formula for excitement.
    I thought the people on the floor are all salespeople. It's just that they're not supposed to to do overt selling.
    At the larger shows the reps are from corporate, but at smaller shows local dealers will volunteer salespeople, and they're not supposed to sell, although I have seen them hand out business cards before, and I've received one before as well.
  • nkl7nkl7 Member Posts: 2
    The general manager at our local dealer told me that the new TL will come out in Front Wheel Drive first, in August, then a few months later will be the AWD version. He will have a chance to see the car on April 10th or so, when there is a big meeting where the GMs get a sneak preview of it.

I was hoping the car would be available sooner, but it sounds like October for the AWD version.

I went out and bought an 06 Lexus 300GS AWD this week. I will be closely watching for the 09 TL and will be interested in it for my next car, but couldn't wait until this Fall.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    I have been test driving the 09 TL AWD a few times now. I have owned 5 Acura TL cars since 04, the last 2 were Type-S. Coming from a Type-S which I love the base FWD TL is just too soft and numb. But this is personal preference and depnding on what you are used to or coming from. The AWD has a great handling ride and is more refined the the 08 Type-S as it hanldes better and yet soaks up the bumps without jarring the cabin. I don;t need AWD, but want that ride over the softer FWD version.
  • rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    The lease on my Tl is up in a few months This was my second Tl any love the car But would love to know what the new model would look like. I like the way car handles now and the upgrades in the engine isn't that important to me. I have to think about other options if the 09 Tl doesn't work out. I love the look of the BMW 328I coupe or the Small Lexus sedan I see these on the road. Would even think about the 09TSX What is that like HELP PLEASE
    I saw the '09 TSX at the Auto Show. My initial reaction is, why did Acura even bother?! It looks very similar to the current one (IMO, not even as good-looking), is a bit bigger, almost the same size as the current TL, and it actually has less HP!
    Overall.....NOT impressed. :sick:
    I was so disappointed not to see the TL at the NYC Auto show.
  • fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    Exactly, why bring out an RL with limited improvements and the TSX that is sub-standard? So the most important question is, will the TL be as much of a let down as these two? Also, why are they keeping this so secretive? If they have something good, now is the time to tell us about it. The BMW 335i and Infiniti G37 are out and are floroushing. The TL may be a little too little to late when they decide to reveal it! The only way I see the TL succeeding is for it to have performance levels surpassing the 335i and G37. Meaning, having 340-350 HP and performance stats to match. We'll see if they will fail or succeed but something needs to happen soon!
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Expect to see the TL this fall. Acura likes to have a Media press release in August first but they may have changed that date. That's an embargo date but it they might not release info 1 month later. Hope this helps.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    If the debut of the '09 TL is anything like that of the '07 MDX, be on the lookout for spy photos around mid summer, then a press test drive late summer and finally sales starting in late Oct. early Nov.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    "The only way I see the TL succeeding is for it to have performance levels surpassing the 335i and G37. Meaning, having 340-350 HP and performance stats to match. " I'd be more impressed with a 10% fuel economy increase than a bunch of mostly wasted HP..but thats just me :)
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I'd be more impressed with a 10% fuel economy increase than a bunch of mostly wasted HP..but thats just me

Why not pick up a fully loaded Accord then?
  • boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    I agree with mikey - actually I'd like to see about a 20% improvement.

I think the issue is there are a lot of people who want to think they can actually use 750 HP so they could make two models - the Type S for people who really want as much HP as possible.

And for those of us who drive in countries where the police pull you over for speeding the could make a hybrid or something more fuel efficient.

Frankly I'll wait about 1 more year and look at what Lexus has in the hybrid selection as they have a schedule of all lexus hybrids by 2011.

I think there are quite a few of us who would like something more fuel efficient but in a luxury automobile. I think the prius is a great car but I'd like a tad more luxury so a luxury fuel efficient car would be nice.

I just helped a friend get a brand new accord - maxed out and while it still is very nice the seats didn't seem as nice as my old TL's and I'd miss the HID headlights. While it is a good bang for the buck car - I'd like a teeny bit more luxury as I'm in my car about 2 hours every day.
    IMHO, fuel economy in a luxury sports sedan is not a priority for either the manufacturer or the consumer.

When I bought my '05 TL, I was more interested in it's 270 hp (w/ new epa guidelines, 258hp) than it's 28 mpg highway. ;)
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    it is a priority with me :) and one of the main reasons I chose a TL over the G35 in 06.
  • rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    I have reading all the post I am not super interested in extra Hp What my 05 Tl has is fine. Better mileage would work I like luxury as I am in car a great deal. I always like the fact that ACura came with all options not like the other were you have to add packages. I hope the style on the new is a great as the 05 was. If not I will be looking at BMW and maybe a Lexus . I am not that fimilar with the line on the Lexus what would be similiar in price to a TL
    the new TL will be super-sized. If the new TSX is about the same size as the current TL, I think they would have to make the new TL bigger, at least to about the same size as the Accord.
    I agree, the '09 TL will be larger (think new accord) and thirstier, especially w/ a 300+ hp engine and sh-awd. This is what the majority of luxury perfomance sedan buyers want. If you want a fuel sipper, take a look at the new TSX.
    I'd be happy to go to the TSX if it was a gas sipper or if they planned to make it such. Unfortunately the TSX is the absolute worst value of all the Acuras - Crappy gas mileage, not as roomy and no HP.

I could easily live with the size and the HP if it got really really good MPG but it has absolutely nothing going for it.
    I find it interesting when reading posts on this and other forums. THere are some very outspoken people who want LOTS of HP. I have no issue with that but when I suggest they should make the S series for people looking or the HP and a hybrid or something with better MPG - it is an automatic shut down. For some reason the HP people don't want Acura to even consider making such a car. Not fine as long as they make a super high power 500 HP model I'll be happy. But nope - as long as they make a 500HP model and don't consider making something for any one who might want better MPG I'll be happy.

Is there a reason you don't want them to consider making more than one model engine?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "I could easily live with the size and the HP if it got really really good MPG but it has absolutely nothing going for it."

I agree. Unless I'm missing something, the Accord EX-L 4 cylinder provides all the significant benefits of the TSX at a lower price.
    Yes you are missing something- the cache, we Americans love it, we have to keep up with the Jones.:)

Speaking of luxury-
    Do you in the Japan- the Japanese dont regard Lexus as a luxury car.The total sales figure for USA in December (for Lexus) was actually what Lexus sold in Japan all last year.Go figure.
    The TSX has the Acura hairpin on the grille and the word "ACURA" on the trunklid.

For the longest time, the I30/I35 was Infiniti's best seller, and it was nothing more than a set of badges plastered on a loaded Maxima.

Cachet matters a lot in the US...

But if you don't mind the loss of Cachet, then yes, a loaded 4 cylinder Accord will have most of the features you get by going to the TSX.
  • traumeritraumeri Member Posts: 32
    After viewing all the spy photos for the 09 TL it is evident Acura intend on pushing forward with their latest front-end signature. While the TSX looks slightly better than the RL's implementation, I am still hoping (but not optimistic) that they will get it right in the TL.
    To me the key for the TL and reportedly coming in 2009 = SH-AWD. This is an absolute necessity as anything above 200hp on a FWD will suffer from torque-steer, and given the competition there is no way the TL can distinguish itself unless sold at a severe discount. With SH-AWD power also increases to 300hp on the higher line (but no Type-S for whatever reason).
    From a performance standpoint these are all positive changes, as lack of RWD/AWD was the TL's achilles. Let's hope they don't kill TL's strong points which were its appearance, value, and size. Which I think is the main reason TL enjoyed such popularity despite being a very expensive FWD, because it is priced against BMW 335 and Inifiniti G35 but its size rivals the 5-series and M35.

Where is another spy photo when we need one? Anything from that dealers meeting this month?
    So you want a cutting-edge luxury sports sedan with SH-AWD and a 300 hp engine all at a severe discount? What are you smokin' and can I have some? :P

I'm still betting the '09 top of the line TL will come close to $40k (think Infiniti G35x-S).
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I'm still betting the '09 top of the line TL will come close to $40k (think Infiniti G35x-S)

No doubt about it. What is the typical'08 price fairly loaded? 33K? Add $2,500 for the SH-AWD and $3,000 for the new engine and tweaks to the suspension, brakes and frame for the added power & AWD...oh, and 4% price appreciation...

Regards,
    OW
    I think he meant if the TL didn't come with SH-AWD, then it would have to distinquish itself with severe discounts.
    '08 TL-S lists at $38,400
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I saw that..I was taking the base with navi and adding the 2009 projected costs. THe '09 TL-S might bow out I heard?

Regards,
    OW
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    because it is priced against BMW 335 and Inifiniti G35 but its size rivals the 5-series and M35

The TL (98) is the same size as the G35 (99), 5 series (99) and Lexus GS (98). The 3 series (93) is smaller and the M (105) is larger (based on interior volume).
    Touche. Although the TL somehow feels a bit bigger inside than the G35...will have to check on the stats more carefully...just going off the most recent memory from an auto show where I compared all vehicles mentioned

RE: the "discount"....I consider $40K loaded TL a discount in comparison to a loaded 335i which is close to $50K.
  • otisnjotisnj Member Posts: 15
    Information from the dealers meeting:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/details-leaked-on-2009-acura-tl.html

And yes, It's time for more 09 pictures. The only ones I've seen are from last summer.
    The only pictures I have seen were heavily camouflaged, is that what you are referring to?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Interesting information from dealers' meeting, but no surprises.

It'll be interesting to see how the '09 FWD and SH-AWD Tls compare in terms of performance, fuel economy, driving dynamics, and price.

I suspect that an "S" version of the SH-AWD TL will be introduced in 2010.
  • otisnjotisnj Member Posts: 15
    Yes - heavily camouflaged and even those pictures are more than six months old. Considering how popular the TL is, I'm surprised there's been nothing new.
    Either hats off to Acura security or the photographers are slipping.
    It's been awhile, but looking at some of the photos more closely it is certain that:
    1) There will be a beak on the grille - anybody sold on this new theme?
    2) Square instead of round foglights
    3) LED clusters for rear lights....would have been nice if they use that for the front like the new Audi's, which looks interesting but probably will be popular

Sometimes it may not be so bad to incorporate successful German designs if I may say so? :sick:
  • richardstarrichardstar Member Posts: 6
    Will there be a manual 09' all wheel drive? I'm ready to purchase the 08' TLS with 19inch rims/wheels for $36 out the door and am tempted to wait 60 days for the 09'?
    See post #318.

My gut feeling is that the '09 won't be available until late Oct. early Nov.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    There's a picture of the '09 TL in the June issue of Car and Driver. Resembles '09 Accord on which it's based. 3.7, 300hp RL engine. No mention of SH-AWD.
    I saw it I am dreadfully disappointed,if things stay the way are I am taking my money to Lexus (gs350 awd).
    It really does not make any sense to me- FWD 300+ HP.
  • joshuah1joshuah1 Member Posts: 22
    I saw the picture in car & driver too. it looks like it could be nice looking if they make it aggressive enough. but i'm dissapointed about two apparent developments. First, the C&D piece made a point of highlighting that this was strictly a front wheel drive vehicle. No all-wheel-drive? Second, there will no s-type, at least initially. big mistake.
  • docrwdocrw Member Posts: 94
    That picture is just a photoshop based on the new TSX. Don't worry, its not the real thing and that article is to be taken with a grain of salt with regard to the specs. Even if they did have real info on the new TL all news outlets are under a strict embargo and C&D is too high profile to be blowing off an embargo so blatantly. Anything they are saying now is from someone who doesn't know or wants to stir up interest.

Remember, any lowering of expectations now only helps Acura when they actually do announce the TL in August. If everyone is upset that they "might" not offer AWD, when they announce that it does have AWD it will be much easier to gloss over the features they really do leave out.
  • ogbzaogbza Member Posts: 10
    any links to the pic?
    The guys over at templeofvtec have already debunked that photo. It's a photoshopped pic of a TSX and they have the original picture to prove it. :lemon:
  • fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    With this new information, I am wondering what kind of performance we can expect out of the new Type-S? Let's figure the car will weigh between 3500-3600 lbs or so and with be around 340-350 HP and have SH-AWD. What kind of 0-60 times are we looking at? Anyone want to take an educated guess at this?

http://jalopnik.com/365647/2009-acura-tl-what-to-expect-from-the-new-tl-tl-type+- s