Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Help! Volvo 165 - I want to convert to a biodiesel 4x4.

eco4x4guyeco4x4guy Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Volvo
I want to convert my 165 (1971) into a biodiesel 4x4. Is it possible, is it probable, what are my options for parts?

Comments

• bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    Don't you mean a Volvo 164? It came with a factory inline 6.
  • wasnt the 165 the wagon version of the 164??

Post a pic so we can confirm the car you are talking about
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    The 164 never had a wagon version, just a 4 dr.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    And I thought so too, but look!

• texasestexases Posts: 8,943
    It seems like there was a European 165, given all the web mentions of it, but the odd thing is a US recall listed for the 165 in 1973. So it seems like this is either an import, or some nut went to a lot of trouble to upgrade a 145-not very likely!
  • remember the web is global, we got them over here, though they are as rare as rocking horse ....
    Yep. Wonder what he means by 4x4? That's not going to happen. Also, all this discussion, not a peep from the actual owner - hello, anybody there?
  • I'm the nut who went through a lot of trouble to "upgrade a 145". The illustrative picture above was stolen from my site about the car:

http://switch.to/estate

Not necessarily by Mr_Shiftright, of course, and certainly not unexpected - that's what happens when you put material on the net. Remember the web is global, yes..:-).

However: I only registered to correct a few conclusions in this thread. As assumed originally, Volvo did not build the 165 (other than a few prototypes, one or two also sold in Australia as told by a rumour).

There are quite a few private built 165's in Sweden, though, so you shouldn't be that surprised if you see pictures floating around. More can be seen at the Swedish club 164 homepage:

http://www.164club.org

And as wheelbase among lots of other stuff differ between 140 and 160, there is no easy way of building a 165. Definitely not as a "145 upgrade". Still, with only a handful existing, the easy way of getting your hands on one is to build it yourself.

Wish I could contribute with some input about the original thread questions too, sorry :-).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Well that's very interesting and thanks for dropping in on us! Did WE call you a nut? I hope not. We had no idea it was a custom, only a suspicion.
    My apologies, after looking at your conversion web site, I should replace 'nut' with 'dedicated' and 'amazingly skilled'! Quite a conversion. Actually, several, with the front end, the transmission, and then the new engine. Impressive.
This discussion has been closed.