Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cars you gave up for your kids

nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
As a nation of car nuts, the only thing we love more than our automobiles are our children. Whether you gave up a Miata for a Minivan or a Boxster for a Boxy SUV, let's hear the stories of the great cars and the practical ones that replaced them.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Since I started this discussion. I'm 31, married, and have a beautiful, healthy, happy, 8 month old baby boy. While the joy of fatherhood doesn't take away from my pleasure of driving my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH, one of my good friends (due to the upcoming birth of his son in a few months) had to get rid of his beloved 2005 BMW M3 Convertible. Even though the M3 was his wife's car that she drove back and forth to work, on the weekends it was his to drive. Living in South Florida provided for many top down driving days and even more enjoyable cruising nights. The M3 was replaced with a 2008 Lexus RX350. While he tells me the Lexus is "nice," it doesn't compare to the M3.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• briancambriancam Member Posts: 21
    I had a FIAT Spyder that I really liked. It was fun and never broke down. I gotta get another one.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Marge: Homer, when are you going to give up this crazy sugar scheme?

Homer: Never, Marge! Never. I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?"

Marge: Look, just get rid of the sugar, OK?

Homer: No!
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Heck, one of the reasons I stay single and childless is so I could have nicer things. Sure, it might seem selfish and materialistic, but I saw how much my Dad had to sacrifice for us kids. Having a nice car was just one thing. My Uncle Daniel who remained single always drove Cadillac DeVilles and Lincoln Continentals while my Dad had to make do with his far more mundane Fords.

It was already tough back in my Dad's day when employment and remaining married was much more certain. Today, children and marriage are best left to the very wealthy or those who like to live on the edge like Las Vegas gamblers. For 50% of the average slobs out there, children and marriage are a one way ticket to crushing poverty. I would only take the chance if they outlaw divorce.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    gave up a 1966 Pontiac Catalina convertible because of me. I was born in 1970, and in 1972, she swapped cars with my grandparents, who had a '68 Impala 4-door hardtop, and they traded her Catalina in on a new '72 Impala 4-door hardtop.

My Mom said that she didn't like the idea of driving a child around in a convertible, because of the safety issue. But another ugly truth is that my Dad started driving that car alot, and really ragged it out. From what Granddad told me, it was getting pretty worn out by the time it was 6 years old.
    When I was very young, my Dad bought mostly two-door cars as his figured young kids would open the back doors on four-door sedans and fall out while the car was moving. This was long before child safety locks came around.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    My folks were like that on two doors when they could swing it. I think that was more my mom. Explains the 2 door station wagon.

I certainly gave up something when we expanded to more than two kids. It's wasn't exotic or a speed demon but the top came down! 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible. The thing was a lower model done up like the higher model, which is to say you got all the doo dads but the upholstery was cloth. Infinity stereo - very nice.

For six months of the year it was a perfectly ordinary car with a good sound system. For the other six months it was exquisite.

Kid #3 - Odyssey....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    My grandparents used to feel that way about cars, when my Mom and uncle were little kids, and also when they had foster kids. I think they had a 1949 Pontiac 2-door sedan, bought new, and then a used '52 Buick 2-door sedan. A Special, I'm guessing. I don't think you could get a 2-door sedan in the more upscale lineups. Then they bought a used '55 Pontiac, but it was a 4-door sedan. Then they had a brand-new 60 Chevy wagon, followed by a '65, and then the '68 Impala 4-door hardtop that my Mom ended up getting.

I remember Granddad talking about the old days once, and he said he got tired of those damn 2-door cars and having people have to crawl over you to get to the back seat, so he was glad when the kids got old enough to where they were smart enough to not open the back doors. Or, if they did, too bad for them! :P

Mom tended to prefer 2-door cars, as that Impala ultimately gave way to a '75 LeMans, a 1980 Malibu, and an '86 Monte Carlo, all 2-doors.
    I am sure that my days in the two door wagon led to my dislike of all things two doored except ones where the top comes down.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • skierx420skierx420 Member Posts: 22
    My dad had a 67 Pontiac Le Mans 2 Door Coupe. I loved that car. It was Dark Gray with a Metal Flake. My dad always called it his GTO but we all knew better. It had one engine two transmissions and two different rear ends. I was 8 when he "sold" it. My sister was turning 16 soon and the insurance was going to triple. It was his daily driver during the summer. It also raced during a couple of times a year, hence the multiple gear sets. I have never gotten to drive it even though it is still in the "family."
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    It was my 2nd car, so it was more of a financial decision, than a practicality problem.

I told my wife I was thinking about it...

"Not sure if I should be driving a ten-year-old car that could possibly need a $5K repair bill, if it has engine problems."

"I agree, honey.. Maybe you should sell it, and we can save some money."

My child was born on a Friday.. The next Friday, my car was sold to a very nice judge with a new baby (?!).

The next Monday (3 days later), my wife says, "I'm not sure I can get by with a 2-door car with the baby. I really like that Acura Vigor."

One week later.. A new $29K Acura is sitting in my driveway.

It's only been 13 years... I am almost over it.. I swear.. :cry:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    I gave up nothing :) My husband on the other hand gave up his 1991 Toyota Supra t-top. He was tired of me pulling into the garage and honking the horn to haul my 9mo. preggo body out from behind the wheel. A carseat in the back would have never made it. He traded it for a Saab convertible.

We did have to add a minivan to the household fleet though when baby #3 arrived. 3 kids, 2 dogs and house with a practical 4-door Camry, 1991 Volvo wagon (for the dogs) and Honda Odyssey (for the kids).
    Uh oh. No more Saab?.....

I'm starting to think about one of those....
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    was a 57 T-Bird, with both tops. :cry: Bought a 77 Dodge Aspen station wagon. Sure wish I still had the Bird now.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I too had a Fiat Spider from day one and sold it for a 66 Mustang GT Hardtop due to a couple of kids. Kids are gone, but still have the Mustang. Also gone are a couple of wagons and several Town Cars. :)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    My divorce in the 1980s dashed my hopes for a Ferrari 308 GTS. Two children and $969 per month in child support pretty much dashed my hopes for the Ferrari of my dreams. Now that I can afford it there is not the same desire. It was fun test driving it and the other greats from the late 1970s and early 1980s.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The first one was a 1981 Toyota Celica. Our third son was here so it was time to get something with four doors. Or in this case three doors and a tailgate. Our first mini-van came along; a 1985 what else? Toyota Van Le. I did have my eye on a 4runner since I thought they were cool with the removable top and all but the Mrs. nixed that idea. The next one was the Nissan Sentra SE-R. This was not your run of the mill Sentra. The 1991-94 generation made CarandDriver's top ten list every year. It was compared to the BMW 2002 and was also called "a poor man's Porsche" by the automotive press. It was a great handling car and lots of fun to drive. I was in the navy then and my wife would drive me to the base every morning at 5am while the ship was in port and drive back to get the kids off to school then she would go to work. The whole scenario would be repeated backwards at the end of the day. When I deployed to Desert Storm I decided it was time to get a second car for me to commute and let my wife get her sleep. I told her to send me every car related mag to begin my research. When I got back I had narrowed it down to one car. The SE-R. We went and test drove it late one night and I immediately fell in love with it. But once again the wife nixed the idea. "Hon, the car is too small and the kids are growing up quick. We need a bigger car." So, we ended up buying a 1992 Camry. The first of three we've had in our family stable. I did get my wish later on when Mack Jr. (who had been collecting every single issue of car and driver) bought a pristine 1994 black SE-R which he would let me drive anytime he needed gas!
    :shades:
    Mackabee
    Mackabee! Where the heck you been hiding, man?

Good to see you back. Good story, too!
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I gave up my Fiat Spider long before the kids came. Luckily I sold it to a buddy of mine and he has not driven it in 15 years. So hopefully one day he will sell it back to me for what i sold it to him for (yea right!).

The one I gave up was a '02 Jetta 1.8t when kid #3 came along. With the new child seat laws there was no way to get 3 child seats in the back. Well, we did it once but it took 10 minutes to get everyone buckled and unbuckled. The Mini-van did most of the family hauling , but the need for a second car that could fit three was obvious. :cry:
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Nothing exotic or even fun, that's for sure. An '87 Isuzu P'up pickup was what I was driving when our son came along. We already had the family truckster ('88 Isuzu Trooper), but on the occasions where we had to put the car seat into the truck, it just wasn't working well.

The P'up got sold and I bought a '91 Nissan Sentra SE (I really wanted the SE-R), which worked much better, even if it was a 2-door, because of the back seat.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    to have my Audi A4 :)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    After a long string of "practical" primary cars, my wife decided I should finally treat myself to a sportscar. If we ever needed more seating, we had her SUV. So I picked up a used '04 350Z with 9K miles in Feb '05. In July '05, we found out we were having a baby. Joy! ... oh ... wait.

So just 9 months after purchase, I traded it for a less expensive 4-door and $4k cash to decorate the nursery.

I LOVED that car! And I'll be sure to always remind my son of that fact.

I do, however, still have my Alfa Spider (and, no, its not much of a sportscar, which you'd know if you ever drive one ... plus, it sees VERY little time on the road).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

it sees VERY little time on the road

Why ? Are you too busy changing diapers ?
    well, yes. But its a chain of events. I usually need or want to work on it in some way, and changing diapers prevents that. For example, I just replaced the rear springs. They took me 2 weeks, however, since I could only spend a few hours the first saturday, then had no time the following weekend, then a few hours to finish up the weekend after that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• topgear1224topgear1224 Member Posts: 8
    my dad had to give up his beautiful boss 302 and boss 429 for us :(
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Makes me glad I'm still single. :)

Even if I do get married and have kids some time in the future, I swear I will never buy a minivan...

Something along the lines of a BMW 3 Series sedan, an Audi A4, or an Infiniti G35 sedan would probably make a fine family car (to go along with the absolutely necessary two-seater sports car). :)
    "Makes me glad I'm still single."

Ever wondered how many ladies are glad you are still single?

If & when you are married and SHE wants a mini van, you'll have one and like it.

After your first born, the sports car will not be necessary at all. Your convertible will be the baby stroller. ;)
    You remind me of a friend. He is a 55 year old bachelor. Cannot figure out why he cannot find the perfect wife. How hard is it to get two baby seats in the back of a BMW 3?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Even though I am married and have a beautiful 9 1/2 month old baby-boy, my wife and I have both SWORN OFF Minivans. We're trying to stay away from SUVs as well (although the BMW X3 & Land Rover LR2 are very nice). Her 2000 Mazda Protege ES is making its way towards the 88,000 mile mark and is developing some funny noises (you know, the ones that cost $500 to fix) and we're out growing it as the rear-facing safety seat makes the front passenger seat almost uninhabitable. I think we're going to lease a Passat Wagon at the end of the month.

I had my eye on the BMW 328i Sport Wagon, but there isn't enough room behind the back seats and the raked back window looks great, but impeades on cargo room.

Something along the lines of a BMW 3 Series sedan, an Audi A4, or an Infiniti G35 sedan would probably make a fine family car (to go along with the absolutely necessary two-seater sports car).

The cars you mentioned above would make a great 2nd car or commuter car for you, but kids (especially babies) have A LOT of stuff. Maybe you could get away with something like that for a day trip or maybe overnight, but it would be stuffed to the gills.

About the sports car, my '01 Prelude Type SH (while not as sports as your Z4 Coupe) has be relegated to commuting duty. I cut my mileage down from 20K per year to just over 13K per year since we had the baby.

...my Dad didn't need a minivan when my brother and I were little. He managed with a 1961 Chevrolet Biscayne two-door sedan.
    When I met my wife, she and her 5 brothers and sisters went everywhere with mom and dad, in a 1951 Caddy 4 door, or in the back of the 1949 Chevy PU truck. Today they would be arrested for either vehicle. What besides a large SUV or Mini-van will haul 8+ people. To top it off my sister and I would climb in and go with them.
    Even though I am married and have a beautiful 9 1/2 month old baby-boy, my wife and I have both SWORN OFF Minivans

What you got there is basically a chia pet. :) wait until # 2 comes along and the one keeps staring at the other or crossing the "line".

Although we were good with a 4 door Gran Prix as the family car when we had just 2 , the 3rd drove my wife to get the dreaded Minivan. Once you get one you'll never know how you lived with out one.

When we were kids we used to get half the neighborhood in the back of a '72 Pontiac Catalina(well 7 kids with one on the back ledge). Try that today and you could be looking at jail time.
    Up to two kids you can make do in an Accord sized car (I went camping with my wife and two kids in our 00 Accord with a cap on it) and you'll be OK. You might have to be creative in packing but if you're not creative the kids will leave you in the dust anyway.

Once you cross the magic line from 2 kids to three you have put yourself in a minivan. You can kid yourself and put yourself in an SUV but you're not fooling any of us that know.... It's just a poorly designed minivan.

Come over to the dark side.
    vwwwwh,shhhh,vwwwwh,shhhh (heavy breathing)

I am your Minivan fezo . (in a James Earl Jones Voice)
    wifey has informed me she wants to quit work and stay home full time. :( waaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

soooo... what's the first to go? I think her recently acquired BMW vert. But, unfortunately, the one that will fetch the most money is my Alfa. :(

Oooh.... local car sort selling a BMW vert, huh?

You may want to E-mail me but only if it's an older (cheaper) one. If not a mutual firend is looking....

guss - That's what it sounded like when my Sebring turned into an Ody. Scary.
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Wife gave up a BMW 3 when she figured out that the stroller that we just HAD to have did not fit in the trunk.

My plan is to pay off my Accord and then get the fun vehicle, BMW Z4 would be nice.

gbrozen- do not sell the alfa. It's the kind of thing that you won't be able to recreate and when the babies are grown up they will be able to tell the stories of riding in it when they were big kids!
    yeah, i just can't let her go. it's been so much fun to drive again since replacing the motor and trans mounts. The BMW is a decent cruiser, but the Alfa really puts a grin on my face that the bimmer can't match.

we'll see what happens. she is currently still working, but wants to stop as soon as we can figure out how to afford it.

By the way, our one stroller just fits in the bimmer trunk, but the "jogging stroller" doesn't stand a chance.

By the way, our one stroller just fits in the bimmer trunk, but the "jogging stroller" doesn't stand a chance.

Same for us, we had one of those 'crossover' strollers that was supposed to be useful as a jogger and with enough storage etc to use as a regular stroller. Of course, in the end it did neither well and was too big.
    I think we probably used it a total of 30 times. :sick:
    Waiting on the BMW......

bristol2 - you'd be amazed (or maybe not by now) how easy it is not to take little things like does the stroller fit in the trunk for granted.

I did pass on a VW Cabrio (yeah, I know... chick car.....) because one of my requirements was that my guitar could fit in the trunk without folding the rear seat down. That would have meant my (at the time) two kids and wife could ride along if I was playing somewhere.

I ended up in a Sebring and while I don't know if that particular scenario ever came up but I did use the extra room.
    Waiting on the BMW......

I'll keep you in mind. ;b

I just went through an ordeal replacing the cat converter this weekend to get it to pass inspection (which it did yesterday. woohoo!), so I'm attached to it for the moment. At least until the trauma has subsided. :)

A New York man retired. He wanted to use his retirement money
    wisely, so
    >it would last, and decided to buy a home and a few acres in
    Portugal. The
    >modest farmhouse had been vacant for 15 years; the owner and wife
    both had
    >died, and there were no heirs.
    >
    > The house was sold to pay taxes. There had been several lookers,
    but the
    >large barn had steel doors, and they had been welded shut.
    >
    > Nobody wanted to go to the extra expense to see what was in the
    barn, and
    >it wasn't complimentary to the property anyway... so, nobody made an
    offer
    >on the
    >place.
    >
    > The NY guy bought it at just over half of the prope rty's worth;
    moved in,
    >and set about to tear in to the barn... curiosity was killing him.
    So, he
    >and his wife bought a generator and a couple of grinders... and cut
    thru
    >the welds.
    >
    > What was in the barn?
    >
    > Go to; www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm
    > and start wishing you had purchased the property. ;)
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I first looked at the pics and thought, "who wouldn't check a building of that size??!" And, sure enough, my suspicions were with merit.

That is quite a collection. You have to wonder if they will start selling them off, or just let them go to the heirs when the owner dies. I got that story from a couple people in emails.
    Oh, you darned spoil sport! ;)

Good story - even as fiction....

Maybe I'll have to work on being in Leona Helsmsley's dog's will.... You could buy a lot of cars with $12 million...
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I traded in my 2001 75th Anniversary Edition Pontiac Grand-Am GT for a 2002' Cadillac Seville STS before my son Brock, was born. I was happy about the trade as I got a much nicer car and it was more solid in the winter. ;)

-Rocky
  • kronykrony Member Posts: 110
    Just before our first son was born I moved off a territory job to a factory position and had to give up my company car.

I had a 1992 Suzuki GSX1100G... image

And traded it for a silky smooth 1993 Buick LeSabre...
    Dang...the Edmunds picture almost makes it look appealing...mine was tan...maybe it wasn't a bad trade...
    the Edmunds picture almost makes it look appealing

Don't forget, that 'almost' is a BIG almost!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    ...cars you gave or handed down to your kids?
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I had a really nice '95 300ZX that I gave up. I still regularly think about getting another.

I drove my wife's car for a while so she could get a safe four door (new BMW with a manual) for the baby. W quickly grew out of the BMW and when she was getting ready to have our second child, she got an Odyssey. So, I got a little vindication in the end.
This discussion has been closed.