Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• Options
    chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    well at first I thought the commercial was stupid then I found myself looking at my truck reflection in the windows in front of the local grocery store. Its the right vehicle for you when you do this sort of stuff
  • Options
    cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    the guy said to his dad "Great seeing you" and his dad replied "No thanks, it gives me gas"....
  • Options
    janjohnsonjanjohnson Member Posts: 9
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I HATE that Lexus ad. Thank goodness Christmas has come and gone so we don't have to watch that obnoxious commercial ever again (until next year, anyway).

Yeah, when I was 18 (way too long ago), I got a brand new luxury car too. Well, actually it was a used 1966 Plymouth Valiant, and I paid a whopping sum of $400.00. Oh well, I suppose the world would be a boring place if we were all spoiled little brats.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I like the XTERRA ad, where the guy leans his mountain bike against his XT, opens the hatch, gets out the first-aid kit (although it is not shown very clearly - you kind of have to know it's there and what it is that he's doing), and uses some bandage-type adhesive tape to fix his bike's seat, and then is off again on his two-wheeler. The timing of the music (The Police?) chord, a loud guitar clang just as the biker drops off a ledge, is well done.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hopefully the same ad for the Mini will come up! My kid thought she had done something to her computer and called for help...LOL... just an new annoying online ad!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30500-1040638,00.html

Just start reading the story... it happens after a bit

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
    thecargonzothecargonzo Member Posts: 31
    Got back to USA just in time to see the hideous Lexus ad. AAAAAAAAAAHHHH. The played it into January!! If I heard heard "It's Buuuueeetifuuuul" or the "I can't believe this"
    rich brat teenager one more time, I think I would still be vomiting!

On a better not, I did think the GM "Overdrive" ad was OK. Help me out Sixties folks, who does that song? Is it a band called "The Spiral Staircase" or am I just too young?
  • Options
    the guy made a call to his (gf?) and waited in front of a Passat that he liked. The salesman and a couple walked to his car. He didn't want them to get into the car that he wanted so he licked to driver's side door handle and leaned back against the car with his arms folded nonchalantly.
  • Options
    A guy driving the Saab that is pulling a guy doing parasailing. The guy parasailing radioed the driver and said that it was his turn to drive. The guy in the car laughed and kept driving. Now that's funny! I'd rather parasail than drive a Saab... bahahahahhahha
    ahahahhahaha

hahahahaha....

hahahahah

hahahaha
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,687
    http://imperial56.freeyellow.com/1956ImperialCowboy.JPG . I don't know why...maybe it's the dude striking a pose, yakking on the car phone. And we complain about cell phones and driving today!! Or maybe the fact that this car is seeing more off-road action than most SUV's today see!
  • Options
    hmmm.. so the guy got lost in someone's ranch and he had to make a call... big deal :D Check out those rad tail lights.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,687
    ...but I thought REAL men didn't have to stop to ask for directions!
  • Options
    I guess he forgot that he was a real man.... maybe the curvy rear glass caught him off-guard.. who knows.
  • Options
    The announcer was saying about the five-star crash test result for the Civic. The guy drove a Civic coupe into a parking garage. He got out and looked back at his car while getting into an elevator. He fell down in the elevator and said "I could use some help" or something like that. The announcer said something to the effect that outside the Civic, your safety is up to you...

that gave me a slight chuckle
  • Options
    not that funny, but it was noticeable. The driver's side door opened and knocked over a garbage truck...
  • Options
    driverzackmandriverzackman Member Posts: 2
    I like the Passat commercial where the guy is in that old 1970's car and at first all you can see is his head and you can hear him saying "What was that Passat commercial again.... the one with the all-wheel-drive thing? Where if one wheel starts slipping power gets taken from it to a different wheel?" And then you see his old beige car (Ford LTD?) that's doing donughts in the ice and he goes, "Yah, that'd be a good thing to have." Irony always gets me....
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    think it's an older Ford Taurus if I remember correctly. I actually don't like that commercial because it makes me think of the whole "why learn to drive when I can just get an SUV and do whatever I want" mentality.........Yes I do have issues. ;-)
  • Options
    hazdazhazdaz Member Posts: 56
    There is NO worse car slogan than Buick's "Its all good". How horrible is that? I mean BUICK of ALL car companies trying to go after the urban/ghetto market?? EVERYTIME I see one of their horrible commercials (espesially for that ugly Rendevous), I just imagine some 50 year old, out-of-touch guy, hearing some stupid phrase from a hip-hop song and constantly repeating it THINKING that he sounds 'cool' or 'down with it'. Nothing like a bunch of old suburbanites repeating "show me the money". UGH!
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Chevy's "Like A Rock" ads. Please, enough of this crap!
  • Options
    dpwestlakedpwestlake Member Posts: 207
    I'm a little tired of the Eskimo ad that Audi pulls out every winter. An old man walking with a small boy come upon some tracks in the snow, The old man says "Amarook." (wolf). They go a little further and see more tracks. The old man says "Nanook." (bear). Then they see tire tracks and the old man looks at them for a minute and says "Audi.....Quatro."
  • Options
    odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I think the new Jeep comercial were the 3 ladies walk across the roof while the JGC is under water is a bunch of CROCK. I didn't see any snorkle system for the engine to breath, and did you also notice you couldn't see into any windows (including the front) because of how tinted they were. I wouldn't be surprised if the JGC comming out of the water wasn't being towed, and then show a totally different vehicle driving away. Plus if there was a person in the car they would have had to have scuba gear on because unless your James Bond you car is not water tight.

But that's only my opinion.

Odie ( lol )
  • Options
    millerro3millerro3 Member Posts: 136
    do you mean that if I fully submerge my Jeep Grand Cherokee in a river it will NOT drive out of the water? That's false advertising! GRRR! If they do it in the commercial, it darn well better be able to do what they show it doing! Who wants in on the class action lawsuit for false advertising? Anyone?

(taking off hat of sarcasm)
    Rob
  • Options
    phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    I've seen the commercial a few times, and the last time I saw it I noticed a disclaimer in the bottom corner of the screen which said "Jeep Grand Cherokee cannot actually be driven underwater."
  • Options
    dpwestlakedpwestlake Member Posts: 207
    In other words: "Kids, don't try this at home."
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    What is the song and artist in the new Mitsubishi adds. I like it.
  • Options
    for which car? I know the Lancer - Bare Naked Ladies sang One Week..... or are you talking about the SUV ad.... then I don't know that one....
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    A lady in a silver Sebring (of course it has to be silver, everyone just has to have a silver car nowadays!) She looks like she's driving on the wrong side of the road while she's making love to herself in the reflection of a truck with mirrors on the side. This goes on for a while.... her driving around curves at 60 mph while looking at her reflection in the truck next to her. I keep waiting for an orange Kenworth to jacknkife with smoke pouring from the tires, hit both the Sebring and mirror truck, then spew large appliances all over the road.

In this same commercial a silver (of course) PT Cruiser is driving along when
    a burgandy and fake wood 1975 to 1977 Mercury Cougar wagon speeds past in
    the background.
    I don't understand the significance of the Mercury Cougar wagon.
    The Mercury wagon is actually cooler looking than the Chrysler!!!
    You can put more stuff in it and ram into things with little damage! Of course it will only get 12 mpg though.
    What's your take on this Andre?
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    "...then spew large appliances all over the road."

Feh. The Big Three have been doing that for years.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Looks like maybe Cardinal lancerfixer got a promotion that led to a relocation to the Vatican.
  • Options
    It's the SUV, song.
  • Options
    rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    I'm sorry, but the image of a carfull of guys lip-synching to a song is just far too limp-wristed for my tastes. The girls singing along? alright. But not the guys, especially ones sporting bad goatees.
  • Options
    Well don't buy a Mitsubishi Others may think you have an alternate life style.
  • Options
    those crazy ads are amusing. They may not be good cars, but the ads grab my attention.

Oh come on! Remember that old VW commercial? The guy was in a parking lot and he started to sing a song - can't remember that rock song - then his friend came back to the car and he started to sing as well.....
  • Options
    The guy was listening to "Mr.Robato" by Styx and bouncing around to the music. You couldn't hear it until his friend opened the door.
    "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto "
    I have a best of Styx CD. Great driving music. ..
  • Options
    you're right... now I am having a flashback to 1983 :) Styx.... Come Sail Away - some people don't realize that song is about ET kidnapping :D
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Last night during Olympics coverage Pontiac ran an ad that was unique and (I'd guess) effective. They parked a Vibe along a street and then set up a sort of candid camera to record people's reactions. Person after person walking the sidewalk would halt, bend down and look at the car. Even people who seemed to be in a hurry would turn their heads to stare at the Vibe.

I can't imagine any commercial that would do a better job of making the point that this car commands interest. Nobody in the commercial tells you the car looks hot. You get to see that by watching people's reactions.
  • Options
    a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I liked the Toyota Matrix commercial with the car chase radio conversation. "We're following, uh, it's a... it's a... a blue, umm..." That really did a good job of making the intended point. Perhaps if they had done that for the Aztek, it would have caught on :-)

-Andrew L
  • Options
    dannym11dannym11 Member Posts: 18
    for the updated Mazda MPV - "the minivan with the soul of a sports car". Please. Does anyone actually buy this? I'm getting a bit annoyed at all of the "zoom zoom" stuff now - the Miata's a fine car, but I miss the RX7. The sooner the RX8 comes out the bettr.
  • Options
    zoom zoom ads... they get your attention....
  • Options
    dannym11dannym11 Member Posts: 18
    I just don't know if Mazda can claim to be a sports car company with their current lineup. Just about every other brand offers a sportier set of vehicles.
  • Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    and whats up with the minivan raised by a family of sportscars. I only know of one. Actually two, but the RX7 was gone a while ago. Face it...no minivan is sporty.
  • Options
    a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    wishnhigh-

I agree. Minivans just aren't supposed to be sporty; that's not their intended purpose. Mazda apparently thinks that if you add ground effects and 17" alloy wheels, it somehow becomes a sports car. Kind of reminds me of Pontiac, when they thought that extra cladding and white lettered tires would make the Trans Sport into an SUV.

-Andrew L
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    you should drop by the MPV board and share your thoughts with some of the owners there!

That should make great conversation topic!
  • Options
    don't forget that some people buy sporty cars for looks only..... how many here think that SUV are sports vehicles? Raise your hands!
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I have an acquaintance who has a Dodge Caravan "Sport". The idea of a "Sport" minivan makes absolutely no sense to me at all. So, I like to razz him whenever I see him in it by asking how he did in the minivan races this past weekend... ;-)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    do those "sports" minivans come with ski racks?
  • Options
    I am not sure about that new Impala ad. How would Ford Taurus drivers react to it? The robbers drove the Taurus while the police drove the Impala. The Taurus "broke down" and the police fixed the flats and told the robbers it was only to give them a fair advantage....
  • Options
    zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    haven't read this whole thread but the best car commercial i remember is the nissan one with the GI joe type doll driving a z car with VH playing in the background .. as it races thru the house and slids up to the dool house and a barbie type doll see's him and changes really fast comes down and they drive off as the ken type doll stands up on the balcony with his mouth open . it is a great one ,
  • Options
    yup, it's an oldie, but a goodie.
  • Options
    ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    ...For commercials that use cool and somewhat obscure music. The latest to tickle my fancy is one for the new 7-series. You see a 7-series driving along some very scenic rural roads, while the voice over is some guy giving directions, with some spacy music in the background. I admire an ad that uses a 27 year old Brian Eno track ("The Big Ship" from "Another Green World").

Nissan's recent use of the guitar riff from the Ramones "Blitzkreig Bop" was pretty cool too.
  • Options
    zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    ohhh i forgot that toyota celica one that ran last year with the barking little mutt that comes running out of the yard and slams into the back of the parked celica . man it cracks me up just thinking about it now .