Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Problems with 99 VW Passat GLS

Comments

• Options
    joebrodjoebrod Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a Passat GLS w/auto I purchased at Thanksgiving. I have 3 problems with the car (or at least I think they are problems) that I wanted to run by this message board to make sure I am not over reacting or expecting too much from the car.

First is the lack of torque from the engine after it shifts. Basically I drive the car rather mellow, that is I don't race or accelerate rapidly from a stop. What happens is when in auto and the car shifts there is a slight, but perceptible loss of power and speed. I've driven automatics before but have never felt this before (is it because it's a 5 speed auto?). It becomes an issue if I need to accelerate right after the trans has shifted. The engine tends to "bogg" down until it builds up enough torque. If I recall right the tranny tends to shift at around 2200rpm and drops to 1700 after the shifting before building up.
    My question is - is this the right point for the tranny to shift? The only thing i can think of is that the tranny is shifting to early. Is this normal? It has this problem with every shift except between 1&2. If I shift the car manually (via Tiptronic) and keep it in gear slightly longer it feels fine - more like my previous experience w/automatics. I did not test drive this particular car and only test drove the one i did drive in the manual tiptronic mode

The other issue is the famous "choking" that a car gets when you hit the accelerator and nothing happens for a beat. It seems to be limited to when the engine is cold and I notice it when turning a corner as I decelerate and then accelerate after the turn (I shifting problem again?). Does anyone else experience this when the engine is cold? Is it because the turbo is not up to operating temp? I

Last but not least is a rattling coming from the right side of the car when the right wheel hits a certain kinda bump. It not there all the time only on some bumps. I think this topic was covered already

Does anyone have similar experiences with their Passat concerning the lack of power or am I expecting too much from a little 1.8T

Thanks for any advice

Joe
  • Options
    mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    Joe,

Did you realize the Passat's automatic is controlled by a computer chip which "learns" your driving style. If you "drive the car rather mellow" most of the time, the tranny picks up on this and adjusts it's shift points accordingly.

My best advice would be to learn to use the tip more, or learn to anticipate when you'll need to stomp on it, and stomp earlier.

--Mike
  • Options
    poolgirl1poolgirl1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my GLS V6 in Sep '99. I never thought I would become this shallow, but I love this car. I got a letter remind me that my 5000 mile would be coming up soon and to make a list of problems questions etc. I don't have ANY problems so far.
    The triptronic is a ball. The V6 is a bit tough on the gas but part of that problem is my heavy foot. The trunk space is excellent, seats are very comfortable,(get the leather with heated seats ohhh ahhh)and I think it handles great. I made the deal via e-mail. I could not be happier. This is the car in which you will get the most for your money. I have.
  • Options
    scooper4scooper4 Member Posts: 1
    Like #314, I just purchased my 99 Passat GLS sedan. With less than 900 miles on it, the auto transmission sticks in gears, won't upshift. Tach revs, wierd smell follows...but car stays in low gear.
    This occurs primarily in the process of decelerating, turning, and then accellerating. On acceleration, gears don't move up, resulting in some unnerving traffic situations. Have to shift over to Tiptronic to get the car moving.

Last week, Dealer looked at the car, cited computer problems, and made some readjustments. Engine revs higher...problem occur more often. Service manager says it could be my driving style (yes, I know about the chip which supposedly tries to adjust to individual style). I stomped on the gas, drove like a granny one day, a Kamakazi the next...still have the same problem.

I consider this to be a rear-end accident waiting to happen. Back to the dealer today. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Be firm and polite with your Service Manager and make sure they fix the problem. Obviously, osmething is wrong with the car, they just might need a bit of time to get it right. If you get no help there, try a different dealer they vary widely.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I have a 99 GLS, 1.8T, manual tranny. I just past 16k miles and the car has been flawless.

Tight as a drum, no squeaks or rattles. I LOVE this car.
  • Options
    skorolskorol Member Posts: 11
    Why is Passat's time from 0 to 60 is only 8.5 seconds, and that of almost similar Audi A4 is 7 secs? Is Passat really that much slower? Thanks.
  • Options
    2000 VW Passat GLS 1.8T Sedan
    Weight: 3122 lbs.
    Acceleration (0-60 mph): 7.9 sec.
    Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 132 ft.
    Roadholding Index: 0.76
    Base Number of Cylinders: 4
    Base Engine Size: 1.8 liters
    Horsepower: 150 hp @ 5700 rpm
    Torque: 155 ft-lbs. @ 1750 rpm

2000 Audi A4 Sedan (front wheel drive)
    Weight: 2998 lbs.
    Acceleration (0-60 mph): 8.0 sec.
    Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 139 ft.
    Roadholding Index: 0.79
    Base Number of Cylinders: 4
    Base Engine Size: 1.8 liters
    Horsepower: 150 hp @ 5700 rpm
    Torque: 155 ft-lbs. @ 1750 rpm
    (Quattro would increase traction but add weight, cancelling out any change in 0-60)

Incedentally, I've seen better numbers for the Passat once broken in, 0-60 in 7.5-7.7 is possible. I have also seen slightly better numbers for the Audi. I think in 0-60, it's about a draw on dry pavement. Audi's advantages beyond prestige are availability of Quattro and a Sport Package with 17" wheels and stiffer suspension.
  • Options
    Audi offers a longer warrenty (3/50k b2b) and arguably beter dealers service.

Check out www.vwvortex.com and www.audiworld.com for excellent owner forums.
  • Options
    skorolskorol Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for info. Is it really true? Passat GLS is actually faster than GLS V6, which makes from 0 to 60 in 8.5 secs. I know it is about 150lb heavier, but that should be well compensated by 51 extra ft/lb of torque. It just doesn't make scence. Is V6 Passat that slow? A4 V6 shows from 0 to 60 in 7 secs. If you could, please explain why. Thanks.
  • Options
    pietschpietsch Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced not so smooth shifting with their Passat? My shifting feels clunky from first through third. It feels like something is catching before it is fully in gear. I also hear a faint rattle under the car when I experience a rough shift (windows down). I have only 2k miles on it but the symptoms are the same from day one. It's worst when it's cold. When I brought it in the dealer said something about the shift arm was a bit out of alignment. The adjustment didn't fix the problem though.
  • Options
    davepercdaveperc Member Posts: 76
    I am looking for comments from someone who has had their Passat for a while. I have done my research and am sold on the Passat wagon. Have found a great deal, now at the last step. I like the look of the tan interior against the black dash, but how does this withstand use. My wife and I think it could look dirty and dingy quickly, being so light. Any one have this interior? How is it looking?

TIA
    Dave
  • Options
    tjk4tjk4 Member Posts: 4
    INTERIOR COLOR?
    2 YR. - 24,000 MILE WARANTEE? HOW OLD IS IT? INTEGRITY OF CAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN COLOR - (NO WONDER U MAY BE GETTING A "GOOD DEAL"- ON THE PRICE ONLY?? GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    Edmunds list the 1.8T sedan at 7.9 sec. for 0-60mph, and the V6 GLS sedan at 8.5, but I wonder if that was with an auto tranny or a manual? Sounds slow.

I'm not sure if the stock 1.8T Passat is faster 0-60 then the V6 version, manual vs. manual. If it is, however, one reason mght be that VW has possibly understated the HP or torque ratings of the 1.8T. This has been bandied about before, but from what I have heard (and I could be mistaken) dynos of a stock 1.8T Passat by Garrett showed a max torque of 179#, about 30# more then advertised.

Either way, the turbo 4 feels pretty fast to me with the stick. MANY people have stated however that the 4cyl. is a bit sluggish with the auto tranny.

The only way to find out is to try them both, I did, and for me the extra grunt of the V6 wasn't worth the extra $3-4k.

BTW--I just had my 10k mile service (at 16k miles!) and the car is in great shape. Tight as a drum and no problems whatsoever. Recent sub-zero temps and snow haven't effected it one bit. The stock Mich. tires have been excellent in the adverse conditions. One thing I have noticed is how communicative the suspension, tires and brakes are in the crappy weather. Very important when thins get slippery to know what is going on under the car.
  • Options
    munich85munich85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 GLS 1.8T Tiptonic 9250K , it has been flawless. Having lived in Germany and driven there. My advantage is I learned how to get the most out of my auto if only for survival.The Passats had now problem at 100 mph.It is a very good car and your not always going to get a flawless one.
  • Options
    davepercdaveperc Member Posts: 76
    What are you trying to say? Probably nothing. Not everyone is willing to pay $40k for a mopar, I mean an M-B. Good cars, but never a good deal. Have done my DD and have found the Passat to be a very good car, best in class, though a different class than an M-B. I have also found a dealer with an offer that is excellent.

So,
    Anyone with the cloth tan interior? How does it look after use? The seats are light and probably stain easily. If that is true, I will opt for the black.

Dave
  • Options
    rfitzprfitzp Member Posts: 3
    My 1999 Passat GLS that I bought Jul 98 and have 30k on has a re-occuring problem. During the winter when I start the car cold it "shudders" and then the Check Engine light comes on. This started after 9k. I have taken the car to the dealer 6 times and they can find out what is wrong with it. They replaced the Engine Control Module, spark plugs and changed the oil to synthetic. I am at my wits-end. I want to trade it in and get a new car. I live the car otherwise, but the inconvenience is too much.
  • Options
    wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    ...another dealer or call VW of America. Someone should be able to diagnose and fix it. Hopefully you will find an answer here. Also, go to www.vwvortex which has forums ONLY for VWs.
  • Options
    I already called VW America and the dealer insists that they also have spoken to VW techs and they can't find the problem. Am I crazy. I just want a normal car. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    walterbarretowalterbarreto Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 VW Passat GLS V6, manual transmission. Nice car, I love the way it drives.

My cassette player broke, and I waited for it for two months. They had it in backorder. I learned they have a lot of problems with radios.

Radios are in backorder, but they are selling a lot of new cars with new radios. So basically, they prefer to sell a new car than to satisfy a customer they already have.

Radio sucks. Too much heavy bass even when set to –9, and very low middle freq gain.

The factory warranty of 2 years 24k miles is too short indeed for current standards. I also read that the 10 years/100k miles warranty for the power train is a hidden warranty that most manufacturers will honor when properly requested. So perhaps VW only made public what has been a hidden policy in US for years.

But what is really annoying is the lack of interests the dealer have on servicing the cars.

In South Florida apparently they have too many customers. Perhaps they a selling too many cars, too fast, or the cars are having a lot of problems. I had to wait for a month for an appointment.

Esserman International VW service department sucks. It is very difficult to talk to anybody there. They won’t call you back either. They replaced my radio, but screwed-up a speaker. They did not have the parts to do the work related to recalls, even when I told them all the work the car needed. They said the repaired the mirror defroster and charged it to the factory, but they don’t work either.
  • Options
    peteo1peteo1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Black Passat Wagon w/Tan velour interior, (16K miles). Over time the fabric attracts a lot of lint, dirt etc. and is somewhat difficult to clean. Go for the leather interior. Also, you can probably get the dealer to swap the tan floor mats for black. It's a nice touch.
  • Options
    mukmuk Member Posts: 3
    I bought my car in september and have had nothing
    but trouble ever since.

The car runs OK when it is warm. However, once
    the temperature drops below freezing all hell
    breaks loose.

The car refuses to start when it gets too cold.
    Finally if it does start, the fuel supply just
    cuts off on you once in a while. Also, the cruise
    control does not work for the most part.

The car has been to the dealership 5 times now.
    It is currently at the dealership.

The first time they replaced the throttle position
    valve and told me that everything will be fine. I
    brought it home and had the same trouble.

I took it back and this time they changed the fuel
    pump relay and told me that everything would be
    fixed. As usual nothing was.

The third time I took it to them, it was an
    unusually warm week. They just claimed that
    nothing was wrong with the car and gave it back to
    me.

When I drove it to work the next day the check
    engine light came on. I took it to the
    dealership.
    They "flashed" the computer (basically updated the
    software on the computer) and told me that
    everthing should be fixed.

The car would not start after I came back from a
    10 day vacation. It is currently at the
    dealership.

I am just fed up with all this trouble. Just
    wanted to warn people that there are Passat lemons
    out there.

I guess the VW people have not fixed all the
    electrical problems that have plagued them in the
    past, atleast not in the car I own.
  • Options
    Sorry for the mistake
  • Options
    "Just wanted to warn people that there are Passat lemons out there."

Yep...every car maker has a lemon here and there, cars are made by people and people are inperfect. Sounds like you have a definate lemon, you should be pursuing the correct channels to get VW to take this car back. Every state has a lemon law for just this purpose.

Personally, over 16k miles and the car is prety much flawless. It has never failed to start right up even with the sub-zero temps here in VT lately. I couln't be happier.

:-)
  • Options
    pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Have you checked on the lemon law in your state? That's a lot of trips to the dealer with no resolution, and may qualify. If you are interested, this site could be of help: The Lemon Aid Stand

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • Options
    Your problems sound very much like the ones that I HAD.... I just got rid of my 1999 Passat and bought a Honda Accord EX-V6(See Previous). I actually like the Accord better. It may not look as good, but it is reliable, quiet and fast. I don't want people to think Passats are bad cars, but I was just tired of the inconvienience. It's nice to feel confident about a car and its ability to get from point A-to-B with few problems. Hey, any car could be a lemon but it probably won't be an Accord.
  • Options
    maringmaring Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a Passat the car is fine except for a annoying noise from headliner , when traveling on rough pavement. The noise sounds like materal flaping in the wind.
    HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS . ps I HAVE A SUNROOF
  • Options
    aujauj Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 GLS V6. I tried to fold the backseat and pull up on the tab. The seat wouldn't fold and after a while, the tab came out and I can't put it back in. Obviously I can't fold my seat either. I wasn't pulling hard on the tab. Has anyone experienced any similar problem or was I not doing it the right way?
  • Options
    mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    Your broken tab sounds like a warantee repair item, so don't sweat it.

I've only heard of one or two people having this problem, and I've been reading Passat boards for 2 years now.

I'm assuming the seat wasn't key locked when you broke this. :)

--Mike
  • Options
    brainpabrainpa Member Posts: 1
    Have a 99 passat, I can't get a AM radio station. I just hear noises. Any way you can tune that baby? The FM's also not the greatest. HELP!!!
    Dennis P.
  • Options
    I was at the VW dealership yesterday and traded in my 99GLX for a 2000GLX. The dealership people were very very co-operative and I highly recommend the VW dealership in Albuquerque (University VW Mazda SaaB). Here are the details.

See post #335 for the problems which I have had with my wife's 99GLX passat. Finally, last week VW accepted that they could not fix my car and would put me in a new car. My car (bright green) had 7900miles on it and I had owned it for 5 months (it was at the dealership for 2 of those months being repaired). Although I had paid $28000(inclusive of all taxes and fees), VW was ready to give me back only $25000. I did not want to get the cash and loose $3000, so I asked VW to negotiate with the dealership and put me in a new car with minimal loss to me. These were the options they gave me.
    1. I could have the one remaining 99GLX (black color,tan interior 590miles) for $200 or
    2. I can have any 2000GLX from the lot for $1800.

I went there yesterday and drove out with a new silver (black interior) 2000GLX. I also got an extended 4yr 60,000 mile warranty for $842. So, accounting for the approx. $800 price increase from the 99 to the 2000 model I ended up paying $1000 for the 7000 miles my wife drove (15c a mile).

I think VW USA is a really tough company to negotiate with and I would have never even considered buying any of their products again. However, working with the Albuquerque dealership people was great and I am happy with my new passat and IF things work out well might even consider buying another VW for myself in the future!
  • Options
    dhunt5dhunt5 Member Posts: 2
    If you go back to Oct. # 175 you will see there I wrote a note on the 99 Passat Wagon we had trouble with.
    After having the engine diagnosed with piston slap(car had 31000km) on it and the Volkswagen Dealer in Halifax Canada said they would get me a new engine. Well after a month of waiting we found out that Volkswagen in Germany does not have an engine anywhere in the world they can get to replace this broken one. This all took place on October 4/99 in November 4/99 they came to the wife and I and said they would give us a new car(99) were as they can't get a new engine for the old one. Also there was NO MONEY Exchanged as we said we bought a new car and a new car we will have.Case Closed! The old Passat Wagon is still sitting waiting for an engine.Volkswagen does NOT make an engine that will fit a standard or Automatic they are too different engines entirely- Not interchangeable.
    We have 10000kms on this one it also has the 1.8 engine and we have had no trouble yet. We have had a valve cover leak but in talking to the Machanics this is normal for them to leak until they put glue on the gaskets.
    Also I see where someone had trouble with there Service Engine light coming on. We too had that problem and we tracked it to the Coil Plug going to the spark plug, what we did here was put electronic silcon lubricant on the plug connections and has up to this point in time CURRED the problem.It came up with #1 plug miss firing on the scope.
    Anyway I have to say we are happy with the service we have gotten from the people at Hillcrest Volkswagen in Halifax N.S. They treated the wife and I really great and always try to look after the problems we might bring them.
    We will be watching things closely to see how this one runs.
    Thanks for giving me this space.
    Dave
  • Options
    pstockmannpstockmann Member Posts: 1
    After four months looking at cars I ended up with a Passat. Funny thing, After Placing my order for a 2000 GLX I found this web site and was very apprehensive about this car after reading all the negative postings. Well almost 5000 Miles on this car and there is not much I can complain about. This is about the 10th car I have owned and by far the most fun to drive. Also may be the first car without problems, so far. Volvo, Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, Toyota I have had my Problems. Volvo had the least problems, but was delivered with a warped dashboard,What ( QC ? )
    They replaced it but never could get rid of all those little noises. I always felt cars were sheet
    metal on wheels to get from point A to point B
    Well This 2000 Passat has change my whole way of thinking about Driving and Yes, I do take the long way home. Love this car
  • Options
    mschraibmschraib Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 2000 Passat GLS V6. Beautiful car, I love it except there is an annoying squeak when I go over bumps. The squeak appears to come from the area of the roof where the driver's sunvisor is located. I do have a sunroof. Anyone have this problem? What did you do about it?
  • Options
    apple_guyapple_guy Member Posts: 2
    I just got a new Passat GLS V6 2000. I love it except for the fact that there is quite a bit of wind noise above 60mph. This is disappointing for a car in that price range (25k+). Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions (besides getting a better car)?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    My last 2 cars were a 96 Civic and a 96 mazda 626, I don't notice any excessive wind noise in the Passat.

Assuming that everything is in it's place, are you sure it isn't just your perception? What was your last car? No flame, just curious.

My wife works with a women who has a new Passat and hates it. My wife, who loves ours, asked her what she doesn't like about it..."I can feel every little bump, it's too noisy, and the transmission shifts to hard." Her last car was a Lexus, go figure.
  • Options
    apple_guyapple_guy Member Posts: 2
    Actually, my last car was a 1995 Civic. I guess the engine noise and the road noise were covering up the wind noise. Because there is little engine noise in the Passat, the wind noise is a lot more obvious. I guess the Passat isn't perfect. It's just that I was hoping for better than that after I wrote a check for close to 30k. Maybe I should get a Lexus ES 300... :-)
  • Options
    newwestdnewwestd Member Posts: 157
    apple guy

I don't know if you are joking or not, but it is probably true about the engine a road noise covering up the wind noise in your Civic! With my first luxo car I heard a lot of noises I never noticed before.

However, there is always the possiblilty that a door or window is not set properly and there IS some unusual wind noise! Try to see if it is coming from a particular area, at what speed, etc. Maybe drive another at your dealer to compare.

If it's still too noisy, there's always the ES - I had one, it was wonderful.
  • Options
    carolina3carolina3 Member Posts: 1
    Our 99 Passat manual transmission caught on fire and was destroyed! The fire started in the front left of the engine compartment near the tire and continued through the vehicle. The tire was gone ....melted from the heat and the vehicle is a total loss. Has anyone else lost there car to fire?
  • Options
    wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    I thought I saw somewhere where a sheet of paper was left somewhere in the sunroof area during construction - was actually paper flapping in the wind.
  • Options
    kmsltkmslt Member Posts: 1
    I'VE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MY 93 PASSAT GLX UNTIL RECENTLY. IT'S BEEN A GREAT CAR!!!! NOW AT 115,000 MILES I'VE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CORROSION AROUND THE ENGINE. THE PROBLEM STARTED WITH COOLANT LEEKING. WE REPLACED MY RADIATOR WHICH I THOUGHT WAS NO BIG DEAL AT 115K. THEN THE "T-STAT HOUSING" HAD TO BE FIXED. MY MECHANIC SAYS I SHOULD GET RID OF THE CAR AS THIS IS A SIGN THAT FURTHER CORROSION MAY HAPPEN IN OTHER AREAS AROUND THE ENGINE. THIS WILL LEAD TO MORE EXPENSIVE REPAIRS. (THERE IS ALSO A SOFT CLICKING NOISE FROM THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE CAR SINCE THIS HAS HAPPENED.)
    I'VE KNOWN MY MECHANIC FOR YEARS AND HE BELIEVES IN DRIVING CARS INTO THE GROUND. IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM?
  • Options
    gomangogomango Member Posts: 3
    Two Major problems with my 99 gls
    1) dash and radio/heater console lights work only intermittently (dealer already changed light
    switch.)

2)foul smell (thought it was exhaust or oil burning) being drawn into interior by fan when heat and fan is on. Dealer says its from the metal
    of the ac unit which probably has condensation build up but its the middle of winter.

Anyone else have these problems or have any suggestions?
  • Options
    baltbalt Member Posts: 1
    Apple guy-- I bought my Passat almost two years now-- great car--but like you I had the problem with the wind noise- I noticed it on my test drive-and just thought it was my imagination or just a windy day in Florida-- but upon driving it more-especially on the interstate-- over 60 miles per hour I could hear a flapping noise-- took it to the dealer-- they checked the doors etc--made sure everything was on tight--again I took it out-- same problem-- this time they had it for a full day-- and they finally discovered the problem-- it was the antenna-- it was catching the wind and making all that noise---they switched to a different antenna and I have never heard anymore noise again--- this is probably your problem-- Hope this helps you out.
  • Options
    spicemorganspicemorgan Member Posts: 1
    My '98 GLS Passat, no sun roof, makes a LOT of wind noise when traveling with the rear windows down and not the front ones. The faster I go the more noise. I wrote it off to bad aerodynamics, but maybe I should go for a cruise without the antenna.
  • Options
    The roof noise with sunroof is a result of inadequate insulation between roof and headliner.
    IF YOU PUSH UP ON THE HEADLINER FROM THE INSIDE NEAR SUNVISOR OR INTERIOR LIGHTS THE NOISE IS EVIDENT.Hit a bump and the noise occurs.
    Steps to fix as follows:
    Remove cover to emergency sunroof closing crank see manual.take very ligh packing material( not buble packing )white styrafome type material is best.Push in between headliner and roof, use a flexable flat rod.
    Open sunroof notice space between sunroof lip and roof.Push insulatin inbetween roof and headliner.
    Press indide hedliner original noise sould be gone or less.Continue insulating as required.
    Press the metal rim of the sunroof together .
  • Options
    I will remove the antenna and liesten. I also believe closing the glovebox vent reduces the noise. I also will try folding the mirrors in and test drive. THe wind noise is a negative in this price range. However I no longer like the handeling of my Acura. I never Believed I wood say that. Iam ready for an Audi A6 turbo.
  • Options
    jgfalkjgfalk Member Posts: 1
    This is my first VW (00 Passat) and I love the handling and the look of the car. BUT, German engineering (known for quality) does not quite translate to German manufacturing quality. I have had several, minor annoying squeeks with the car. In addition, the alarm system would not stop honking one night (neighbors loved that!. Since I live in the city, I do a lot of parallel parking and noticed that the bumpers are dinged already - paint peeling off. My other (Japanese) cars never had this problem. I got the Passat for a change and in spite of the problems, would still have purchased it.
  • Options
    (Picture Homer Simpson, mouth agape, drooling...)

aglllggglll....Audi A6 Turbo....glllggll.....
  • Options
    jamesgibbonsjamesgibbons Member Posts: 4
    I ma thinking of buying a 00"passat GLX but due to so many problems listed here I am kinda scared. Do you guys think a chrysler 300M may be a good substitute or maybe a lex 300. Can anyone suggest, I want ot spend under 30G
  • Options
    pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Someone may offer an opinion here, but you will find more discussion about the merits of purchasing one car versus another over in either our Sedans or Smart Shoppers conferences. You can use the Search feature at left for Passat and then do another search for 300M to find many discussions already in progress.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
This discussion has been closed.