Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Cirrus - Check Engine Light on - Can't Find Anything Wrong

dugandugan Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
I just purchased a 1997 Cirrus with 15400 miles.
Two days later the "Check Engine Light" went on and
the dealer, when called, said "Run it up to 70 MPH
and that should kick the light off, since we just
did an oil change and checked the car out." When
this didn't help, he said "Unscrew the gas cap and
put it back on really tight." This didn't help
either. Then he said, "Well, the Chryslers
sometimes have this problem; don't worry about it."
I can't accept this answer. Driving around with
the "Check Engine" light on seems a stupid thing to
do - those lights usually have a purpose, don't
they? Any comments or suggestions for help with
this?

Comments

• GATESRGATESR Member Posts: 13
    Your vehicle has OBDII and can easily be diagnosed by a competent dealer. There is no reason at all for you to accept this lame excuse of "they all do it." I assure you they do not, and should not. Most likely the engine will not be damaged over the short run, but to continually run the engine with that light on, especially if you have something like an engine miss could eventually damage the pistons, valves and cat converter.
  • terrihenterrihen Member Posts: 1
    Just after I purchased my new 98 Cirrus last summer the engine light came on and they couldn't find anything wrong. It turned out to be the chip that turns the light on was bad and they replaced it. The light hasn't come on since.
  • diazodoktor2diazodoktor2 Member Posts: 23
    RE: TERRIHEN

Unless you misunderstood what the service guys said I think they are pulling your leg. On the OBDII systems there is not a single "chip" that turns on/off the "check engine light" but many parameters that take data from various sensors and compare it to data base "norms" then determines if the light should come on or not. Chryco vehicles are notorious for false codes telling the computer that a code is loaded. Many shops simply don't want to mess with these problems as they can be very time consuming and keep coming back again and again. The solution? Many times they simply remove the bulb and gee it's fixed!! I caught a dealer doing this and found it with my laptop and a diagnostic program from a friend of mine. when confronted about this the dealer said "well, they must have checked the bulb and forgot to put it back in"-- Right!! Just another sleazy SOB dealer cutting corners>
  • gusgus Member Posts: 254
    What do you want the dealer to tell you?
  • dnusekabeldnusekabel Member Posts: 1
    I had a Ranger Splash with 50K miles and one day the check engine light came on and stayed on for a week and then went off again never to return. I had a appointment to see the dealer the same day the light went off. The point I want to make is I think I had a bad tank of gas with maybe some water in it. After a couple fresh tanks the problem cured itself. I heard also from 3 mechanics that dirty air cleaners with cause this problem or even a gas cap not closed tight.
  • jankoljankol Member Posts: 1
    i would like to have an opinion on buying cirus 99. if anybody have any problem experience please give your comment. i also noticed that the car computer is located next to the engine that way exposed to high heat from the engine. i wonder if the heat is is not affecting the electronic circuitry.it doesn't help for sure.
    janl
  • tecardamonetecardamone Member Posts: 1
    OWN A 99 CIRRUS AND JUST BOUGHT A 2000 FOR THE WIFE.

ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON ONCE BECAUSE OF A LOOSE GAS CAP. IF THE CAP IS LOOSE OR MISSING, A DIAGNOSTIC PUMP USED TO DRAW A PARTIAL VACUUM TO CHECK THE FUEL TANK EMISSIONS WILL SET A TROUBLE CODE AND CAUSE THE ENGINE LIGHT TO COME ON. MY LIGHT WOULDN'T GO OUT EVEN WHEN THE LOOSE CAP WAS TIGHTENED - IT REQUIRED A RESET OF THE COMPUTER CODES WITH A SCANTOOL TO EXTINGUISH THE LIGHT.

WHY BUY A 99? ALL THAT YOU WILL REALLY SAVE IS THE EXTRA $750 ON THE REBATE.

THE 00 COSTS AN ADDITIONAL $400 ON THE STICKER OVER THE 99, BUT THIS ALSO INCLUDES THE DART ALLOY WHEELS INSTEAD OF THE STEEL WHEELS WITH CHROMED PLASTIC WHEELCOVERS (THEY LOOK REALLY TACKY) AND AN UPGRADED 8 SPEAKER RADIO WITH CD CHANGER CONTROLS - MORE THAN OFFSETS THE $400 INCREASE.
  • mark129mark129 Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 99 cirrus. i really like this car but whenever i'm going over 40mph and press the accelerator, there's a high-pitched "whrrring noise" from the engine. it's not very loud but definitely discernable. only 400 miles on it. the noise started at about 100 miles.

can anyone tell me if this is normal? thanks.
  • jimh99jimh99 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 cirrus 24,500 miles and five transmissions later with sixth one making that high pitched "whrrring noise" thats what it is my friend. no it isn't normal.
  • georgenjulianageorgenjuliana Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are thinking about buying a 2000 Cirrus. Anyone have any feedback, please.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    georgenjuliana, I think you'll get the best answer to your question in our Sedans conference. Why not use our Search feature on the left toolbar to join a discussion already in progress?

carlady/roving host
  • moork43moork43 Member Posts: 1
    georgeenjuliana,
    I just bought an LXi last weekend. I test drove the Cirrus, the Dodge Intrepid, and checked on some used luxury cars. Of them all, the Cirrus was the most luxurious, and best value for the money. I got a super deal on it, because Chrysler/Plymouth is offering .09 financing for the month of September. The Cirrus I purchased has a sunroof, 6 Cd Built in changer, leather, keyless entry, and it's a pretty car. Price on the window was $21.5. Nothing else could come close with those options at that price.
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    RE: moork43

Maby the dealer will let you sit in the car and listen to the stereo while they try to fix it on your sure to be many trips to your local Chryco bone yard.

Chryco cars have been the worst I've ever had (2) NO MORE for me. No bargain at ANY price IMHO

Floridian
  • harpsingharpsing Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a Cirrus or an Altama GXE or GLE. 1999 or 2000. Any comments of help are welcome
  • jfpaniszjfpanisz Member Posts: 2
    How in the world do you get to read the topic #352
    Chrysler Cirrus check engine light on - can't find anything wrong and can't find anything about it!!!!!!!!!
  • jfpaniszjfpanisz Member Posts: 2
    I can see my question BUT I still can't find any thing about Cirrus check engine light.
    Sign me stupid, but finding info in this "Town Hall" is making me nuts.
  • gusgus Member Posts: 254
    Don't go nuts. You probably can't find any info because nobody has posted any info. Be patient. Post in the topic monthly, just to keep it alive, and maybe someone will respond to you. You may decide that you want to sell the car before someone answers you, but if you keep at it long enough, someone is sure to answer!!

If you find out what you need to know, please post it here so that anyone else with your problem won't be so hard-pressed to find an answer. Think of yourself as a pioneer in the field of Cirrus Check Engine Lights.
  • ktessierktessier Member Posts: 1
    I have 150000 muiles on my 95 cirrus lx. The engine check engine light came on about a week ago. Diagnostic codes said o2 sensor. HAd that senor changed still have light. There are TWO O2 sensors in the cirrus. The first is wher youd expect it the second is hidden behind the manifold. Im having that one changed next week ill keep you posted.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    http://www.allpar.com/fix.html
    This site has info on Chrysler products.

My Plymouth Reliant has a built in fault code reader. It is activated by turning the key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds, a light will flash the 2 digit numbers in reguard to which fault code has been detected.

Good info on the site above, maybe it will be of some help to you.
    Good luck.
    Bob
  • johnlukiejohnlukie Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1995 ford contour, had same problem nobody could find anything wrong. they finally found acrack in a small hose at the top of engine leaving air into engine.
  • clerouxcleroux Member Posts: 1
    We had the identical problem w/ our car. After several visits to the dealership they advised the computer had been calibrated with the wrong tire size. This made no sense to us, but after this adjustment the problem has never reoccurred.
  • dgrabnerdgrabner Member Posts: 1
    My '98 Chevy K1500 Service Engine Soon light is on what is wrong? Getting around 10 miles to the gallon mostly city but some highway driving. My truck has a 5.7L with 41K miles. Should I change the plugs or maybe the O2 sensor? How do I get the light off? I've read the owners manual and nothing seems to apply. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • lucky20lucky20 Member Posts: 35
    Not the chrysler; cheapest & easiest to fix first. If it has not been done, change your fuel filter. Check all electrical system grounds. Do it your self, go to public library, Mitchell (or like) get info, how to read computer code. Code chart will give failure, Mitchell will have diagnostic flow chart. Some parts stores offer for sale code readers. Or, trust a repair shop to test it for you.
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Folks,

We have a couple of duplicate topics where we
    are talking about the same thing. Please go here:
    "Check Engine" light

to discuss all "Check Engine" light issues.

Thanks.
    your host, Bruce
This discussion has been closed.