Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    peter213peter213 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 05 Camry LE V6. Could you please tell me how I can find this specific TSB? Thanks.
  • Options
    autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    I'm copying & pasting something I posted over at Sienna's forum.

Something happened to me I'd like to share. A member of the "other" forum said this could help and I'm backing him up.

Recently, I killed the battery in my Sienna (my fault) and everything was drained. In doing so, I think the Car's ECU was completely erased. The car was jump started and everything was fine.

Now, beginning, my throttle was mush. You press the first area of the pedal = nothing. Now, after the battery was drained and everything reset, I can now tap the pedal ever so slightly and the engine responds immediately. I don't need to press it down more for it to start but now just tapping it makes it move.

This happened out of an accident and the hesitation was not much of a problem but now the throttle feel is fantastic. I feel like I can manage it now.

The other member didn't drain the battery but disconnected it via negative terminal and let it like that for about 5 mins (I was stuck with no battery for about an hour). He then reconnected it and started the car but strongly noted that you don't touch the throttle at all. DO NOT TOUCH IT WHILE YOU START THE CAR.

Go for a regular drive. See if everything is better. Curiously enough, like I mentioned, my throttle is very responsive and not dead like before.

And I'd like to note that the tranny itself is perfectly fine. It's the poorly done throttle causing a problem.
  • Options
    coastdrivercoastdriver Member Posts: 18
    Disconnect the battery???

I'm so frustrated with this car, I'll try anything! Everything about this Camry is strange! The throttle feels funny, the jerky transmission... and just recently, my car has developed a "thumping" sound when I accelerate from a stop.

I give up. This new Camry SE is the worst car I have ever owned. All the other Toyotas I had in the past were made in Japan, using all Japanese parts, and assembled by Japanese workers. I never had one problem or complaint with those cars.

And now I found out that the jerky transmission/throttle problem is also common in other Toyota models... and the Lexus too???

I am very disappointed with my new Camry SE. I read every auto magazine before purchasing this car. NOT ONE mentioned the jerky transmission in their reviews of the Camry.

Edmunds never mentioned it.

Something is wrong here.........
  • Options
    autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    Yes, disconnect it, that's what the other member said.

But don't forget to initialize the AUTO driver window and moonroof when everything is done.

I hope this helps. I know there are some with more hesitation than mine.
  • Options
    manikxmanikx Member Posts: 1
    Hi there.

I recently bought a used Camry 2001 V6 top of the range model. The seller didnt give me the original keys. He gave me the keys which was flat(the original will have the remote or the rubberised head - hope Im right). Since this is a top of the range model, Im sure this must have a keyless entry option. How do I find out if the option is there? And if there is - how do I activate the keyless entry?
    Pls advice.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    ...Check your owner's manual. IIRC, Toyota warns against battery disconnection and says to see your Toyota dealer instead. It may have something to do with the advanced airbag system installed on 2004-05 Camrys, besides losing your radio presets, etc.

Now I don't know what happens when the battery eventually dies due to old age.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Hmmm - or dies because the interior light was left on or a door was ajar.
  • Options
    bobcuibobcui Member Posts: 8
    Pls see message 2613 by bill13241.
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Read it, but does that apply only to the I4 4-speed auto?

Deke
  • Options
    joecamryjoecamry Member Posts: 3
    I have a '93 Camry with 240,000 miles. Recently the steering wheel has been very hard to turn, especially to the left. The steering gets very hard every 1/4 turn of the steering wheel, and alternates, hard to easy, as the steering wheel is fully turned through the entire range (almost can't turn the steering wheel at the hard spots). Feels like something is sticking in the steering linkage? The power steering fluid is ok, and the belt is ok. Any ideas are much appreciated!
  • Options
    1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    It might be a rack-and-pinion problem. Did you hit anything? It could also be a failing P/S pump.
  • Options
    tarhe54tarhe54 Member Posts: 8
    Steve, thanks for the reply. Just this morning I received a reply from Hidden Hitch in response to my question about whether I could fit a Camry hitch to my Solara. Here is the reply, "We do not offer a hitch for that vehicle at this time. The hitch for the Camry will not work for the 05 Solara, sorry about that.
    Kiera Criss Hidden Hitch Customer Service"

From what I have seen, I believe it will work. Thanks again for the info.
  • Options
    mag3mag3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Toyota camry with about 57k. In the past 4 months I always need a jump to start the car. I took it to a mechanic and he rebuilt the alternator and also changed the plugs. Bought new battery from Sears and still giving me the same problems. I need jump to start almost everytime. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    This 05 Solara SLE V6 is my first Toyota. When I was test driving it, I came back to the salesman and mentioned the shifting/lurching feeling. His response was that it was normal and the transmission/throttle would adapt to my style of driving. I was naive enough to believe it until I got on this net. Now I realize there must be a problem. Actually, my problem is not a continual problem but just occurs often enough to get my attention and I don't like that.
  • Options
    Steve, I just ordered the hitch. I'll let you know how it fits.
  • Options
    junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    Maybe it is the way you drive or the fact you purchased an SE. Our 2002 LE,assembled in KY, has been perfect in every way. Please relate these problems to your dealer and if Toyota cannot help, go to your state offices to read up on the lemon law.
  • Options
    mbjdmbjd Member Posts: 2
    I have a brand new LE V6 and I hate it. This is the 5th Toyota Camry I have owned and I don't know what happened but the quality has gone down the tubes. Yes my car hesitates and it is noisy. The tires are noisy even after I lowered the tire pressure to the recommended 29 pounds - it helped some. My biggest complaint is the rear suspension noise. I have a thumping noise in my right rear suspension and have taken it to the dealer 3 times. The first two times they could find nothing wrong. This last time they replaced the rear strut mounts but it did not fix the problem. This noise is driving me crazy. I'm considering trying another local dealer and see what they can do about it.

Does anyone have contact information for Toyota Corporate where you can file a complaint? I can't find it on their website.
  • Options
    jjluc77jjluc77 Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, The tires are not that great. The problem is flat spotting. After a feww minutes of driving, the tires are ok. My SE V6 will have new tires within the year.
  • Options
    madison5madison5 Member Posts: 1
    Whenever it rains, I get water in the right front floor. I've taken it in three times to the dealer--they've replaced the weatherstripping around the door and unclocked the drain, but nothing has worked so far. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    mjtianmjtian Member Posts: 48
    Hello,

I own a 1993 Toyota Camry I4 that I bought 11 years ago. Its a great little car, I managed to put 114,000 miles on it without much problems. Other than the brakes, power window and minor blue smoke from the tail pipes (which began @ around 40,000 mi) it has been pretty reliable as most Toyotas are.

Recently, I noticed that the car will occassionally fail to start. I just put in a brand new battery last winter and the timing belt is also less than 2 years old. I believe within the last 6 months, it happened 4-5 times. Usually I would wait a little, make sure the shifter is on Parking and retry several times. Today it happened again, I tried all my old tricks and it still did not work. So I tried pumping the gas a little and simultaneously turning the key and it started!!! Do you guys have any suggestions to what the problem may be? Is this a early warning sign that my transmission may be on its way out? Thanks!
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    If the car has problem starting when engine is cold, it's in the cold start system. Your car may have a cold start injector timer that's gone bad and needs to be replaced.
  • Options
    niki1niki1 Member Posts: 52
    I just purchased a 2005 4 cylinder Camry, and I have not driven or taken delivery of the vehicle as of yet. My question is concerning all the complaints I'm reading about on the hesitation problems others are having on the 6 cylinder Toyotas. Is this problem on the 4 cylinders, or is it just inherent in the 6 cylinders? Your response will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    NIKI1
  • Options
    moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    I have a 2005 XLE 4 cylinder and I too have the hesitation problem...I am debating how important it is for me to have fixed, as I have a list of other items I'd like fixed first (splotchy dashboard, poor gas mileage, trip computer is inaccurate, squeaky brakes, etc) :-(
  • Options
    Moeharri,
    Did you notice this hesitation problem when you took your new Camry for a test drive? Sure sounds like these cars have many problems. Should I rethink my choice for a new car??? Your thoughts.
    Thanks for the quick response. NIKI1
  • Options
    No, I didn't notice it during the test drive as there is so much to take in during the test drive. Also, it was -20 degrees F outside, so it was also hard to tell what was cold related and what was the car's fault. My hesitation problem is more clear on the downshifts from like 3rd gear to 2nd, it's quite harsh sometimes...for now I'll live with it if I can get the other items fixed.

My dashboard looked fine when I picked it up, but they think that whoever cleaned the (fake) wood used a cleaner that might have ruined the material/coloring on the dash--I have an appointment Friday to see if they'll fix/replace the dashboard (I have about 2000 miles so far).

With 100% highway miles, I'm only getting like 26mpg, and that's driving like a grandpa, so I'm pretty unhappy about that, I expected 30 easily (had I known gas mileage would be this bad, I'd have gotten the 6 cylinder just for more fun).

The road noise in the city is great, very, very quiet. However, on a grooved highway that is common in Wisconsin to keep the roads less slippery in winter, the tires are almost deafeningly loud...unfortunately I didn't test drive on the highway that I drive on all the time :-(

The 6 disc stereo's speakers are very inadequate on the highway, I have to crank it to hear over the loud tires, but it still sounds bad, oh well, live and learn I guess.

Overall, I like the car, but from Toyota, I expected flawless and this isn't it. On the bright side, I love the dealership so far, but the next few weeks will determine if I buy from the dealer again or even another Toyota. I would still recommend this car, but I don't think I'll personally ever buy a car during winter again, as it was too difficult to tell what was weather related versus car. The other car I considered was a Passat, but they're pricier and I was very afraid of the many expensive problems that they seem to have out of warranty.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Options
    Moe,
    Thanks for all the info!!! I'll be taking a LONG test drive before I fork over all that cash!! I just purchased a new 2004 Passat with my son, and we just LOVE that car!! No problems except when he puts it in the garage we notice a strong oil smell, but no leaks can be found. Looks like we will be calling the dealership soon. Thanks again for all the info, and I'm sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your new ride.
    NIKI1
  • Options
    carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    Does that mean all camry(2.4, 3.0, 3.3) hesitate except for manual one?

here is a link and quote from auto123
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Toyota.spy?arti- d=29804&pg=2

"Kick-downs are a little slower though and taking off from a nearly stopped position causes some undesired hesitation." (V6 SE)

Some people claim that by disconnecting the battery for 5 mins or so and then reconnect, the hesitation will be gone!
  • Options
    cutedhcutedh Member Posts: 31
    Moe....I have the 2005 Xle 4 cylinder too and I am happy to tell you that I have no hesitation problems. I am truly shocked with the gas mileage the car gives which is around 30.5 mpg. I have 6000 miles on it. I love my car so far and it is super quiet on the roads. I also love the way my car handles bumps. I have the Michelin tires which helps but it came standard with my XLE. I am sorry that you are disappointed in your car.
  • Options
    badpenguinbadpenguin Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem on my 2002 Camry SE V6. Dealer wants $300 just to see what the problem is! It's weird it started with the passenger side...then rear driver side...now the driver side doesn't work. If you figure out what it is...please let me know!
  • Options
    notmechanicnotmechanic Member Posts: 1
    Recently had to go to PepBoys (dont hang me for this as I already feel as I have made a mistake) to get an emergency replacement of the water pump on a 92 Camry 4 cylinder. Car had approximately 108K miles on it so asked for timing belt replacement.

I am not a mechanic by any means.

Got car back and it seemed to be OK but sluggish (i.e. pick up in acceleration was not what it was before). Brought it back and the mechanic showed me a couple of things 1)said slack in transmission cable was cause and 2) cracked air flow hose. Also he said he made some sort of adjustment to the timing. Showed me timing light and something about it being stable proving proper instatllation.

I notice the car is noiser than usual though it is more peppy. He did make some sort of adjustment to the ignition timing. I am not a mechanic but could he have altered the timing to compensate for improper installation of the belt? Can someone explain ignition timing versus valve timing to me? What damage might this cause, if any? Did I get a bad water pump? Getting noiser by the day seem like and this is about 200 miles after installation.

How can I check that installation was proper? Should I take it to another mechanic to get it double checked and what do I ask for?
  • Options
    When you say you're getting 30.5mpg, are you calculating that number yourself or going by what the trip computer tells you?

The reason I ask is because I'm only getting like 26mpg actual, but the computer is telling me I'm averaging about 34mpg, which is way off (I reset the trip computer at each fill up).

I'll have to double check which tires I have, but I think they are the Michelins as well. Overall I still like the car a lot, I just want some of the quirks fixed. The two items driving me the most crazy are the splotchy dashboard (since I see it everytime I'm in the car) and the poor gas mileage, since like I said, had I known it would be under 28mpg, I would have gotten a loaded v6 :-)
  • Options
    yodajoeyodajoe Member Posts: 1
    hey every body i just droped off my 04 solara with 18k miles on every thing hase fine been for the first 15 k miles then came the bumping in the wheel you all the know the deal take it to my dealer blah blah excuse after excuse piss me off so bad , any ways
    i went 20 minutes to another dealers ship they jumped in and said oh well what do ya know the rack in the steering is shot have a rental, gotta love that crap
  • Options
    redondocamryredondocamry Member Posts: 1
    Just had the dealer perform Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) EG013-01. The reason for the TSB was "to improve the shift quality feeling on 2002 model year Camry vehicles equipped with the 1MZ-FE engine, the Engine Control Module (ECM) logic has been modified".

All I can say is wow! The car is much peppier, shifts better, and has less hesitation than before. It feels better than when first purchased. Call 1(800) GO-TOYOTA to ask for a copy of the TSB and bring it to your dealer. Don't take no for an answer. This is a factory warranty item an the repair is covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty. The warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehiclce's in-service date. *Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint. Tell them you are experiencing "acceleration hesitation", "poor shift performance", and "engine surging during light throttle input at speeds at around 40 MPH". If they claim to have no knowledge, put a copy of the TSB under their noses.
  • Options
    joescarjoescar Member Posts: 30
    I had trouble with my '04 and the rack was replaced. However it didn't help. Finally the intermediate steering shaft was replaced which solved the problem. That would be the shaft with a universal joint. Good luck. I had to make seven trips to the dealer before it was corrected!
  • Options
    The 30.5 mpg is quite accurate because I calculate it myself and the trip comp says so too.
  • Options
    commish1commish1 Member Posts: 30
    Is this only for the 2002 or the 2005 also?
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    We get 23-25 mpg typically in town and up to 35-38 mpg on long trips, running conservatively at 65 mph with the cruise control. We have a 2004 Camry LE 4-cylinder.

So the mileage varies a lot depending on driving conditions. Our overall average is about 27 mpg, because the long trips are few and far between.

So 30.5 mpg is not bad, depending on how/where the car is driven.
  • Options
    mrcoolmrcool Member Posts: 2
    The Starter Solenoid is more than likely the culprit.
    The Brass Contacts within the Starter Solenoid are old and probably burnt.

You do have a few options:
    The Dealer of course
    You can replace the Old Starter with a New or Rebuilt one for about $160.00 + Core Charge or so, that's only if you can install it yourself.

Or you can take the old Starter Apart and replace the Brass Contacts within the Solenoid for about $7.00 plus Tax. (Available from the Toyota Dealer Only)

I found a Discount Auto Parts Store in my area that had a Rebuilt Starter with a Life-Time Warranty for only $65.95 + Tax

mrcool
  • Options
    Moe and Cute,
    I'm getting the same car as you two own the XLE 4 cyl. with moon roof, spoiler, side curtain air bags, alloy wheels, and the upgraded security system. The sticker price was $25,850 and the dealer invoice was $23,150. The best the dealership would do was $21,700 this included a $750 rebate. Is this a fair/good price?? Your response will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    NIKI1
  • Options
    Well, my sticker was $23,589 and I believe I got it for about $21,000 + TTL with $400 college rebate and 3.9% financing for 60 months. I'd say that I think you're getting a very good deal. I didn't try to haggle on my price at all, so maybe I could have done better...but even if I could have gotten it for $500 less, spread that over 5 years and it's not very much money to me. I'd rather the dealership get a good price and remember me for being "fair". In my dealings with them so far, they have treated me like I spent a million dollars there (especially considering my youngish age). Good luck with your purchase, let us know how you like it.
  • Options
    Moe,
    Will do, and thanks for all the info. The dealership came to me with their first offer, and I asked for 500 more off and a spoiler. They agreed to the spoiler but no more monies off, so I took the deal. Not much haggling at all. Everybody walked away happy, with the exception of the GM, because he wanted me to take delivery of the vehicle that night, but I could not do that until we sold our current car. This will be in done a few days. I'll let you know.
    Thanks Again
    NIKI1
  • Options
    mshirmshir Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 Camry Dx, 24 valve 6cyl. I had a rough idle and had it diagnosed. they did a "bleed down test" and 100% is going out the exhaust. also a comrression test showed no compression in valve # 6. So they suspect a burnt exhaust valve.
    Should I get a second opinion?
    what would most likely cause this?
    also it is starting to smoke. this is the cause most likely?
  • Options
    Are you getting yours with leather? I got mine with leather and the premium plus package which includes the 6 CD changer and alloy wheels with moonroof, auto dimming mirrors. The only options i don't have are the Side air bags,Navi sys and spoiler which I will buy later on. I got mine for 23,500 before taxes and the the upgraded security system and other things. But are you getting your car financed? If so .. it depends on what your APR is. But if you are paying cash.....I think that it is a very good deal. The sticker price on my car was 25,600 and it excluded the VIP security sys and extended warranty. I also financed my car for 60 months for 3.9% APR and put 5000 deposit. With taxes and financing and all the other goodies the total cost of my car was 28K.

PLease let us know what you have decided and what the color of your Camry is. Congratulations on your car. My car has the mineral green color.
  • Options
    Cute,
    No leather, and I'm paying cash. The color is white. I'll let you know when i get the car.
    NIKI1
  • Options
    rmscs1rmscs1 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a new 2005 Camry for my daughter. I noticed that on the inside of the rear body panels there are large rectangular patches that appear to be glued to the body panel. Do these indicate a repair or are they normally there for stiffening/ sound absorption?

I'm concerned the car may have been damaged...

Thanks
  • Options
    Can you be more specific? What rear "panels" are you talking about... Inside the rear fenders? The wheel well? Inside the trunk?

If you can be more specific, I will look at my '05 SE and let you know tomorrow.

Also, please let us know if your daughter's new Camry develops the annoying hesitation-jerk-lurch problem. Thanks, and good luck with the new car.
  • Options
    To add to the growing list of complaints with my new SE V6..... I now notice that when I pull up to park, and move the gear selector to "P", the car will suddenly "LURCH."

It doesn't happen every time I park, but I am now aware that I need to keep my foot firmly planted on brake... and make sure I don't park too close to the vehicle in front of me. It also lurches when putting the transmission into reverse, mostly when it's cold.

Two other Camry owners that I met, have confirmed this same problem. The adventure continues.........

Thanks, Toyota.

(Tomorrow, I am going to try to remedy the hesitation flaw. I will perform the "battery disconnect solution." Unhook the cables and let it sit for awhile. Can't hurt to try.)
  • Options
    Steve, had the hitch installed today. I have the Solara and all the bolt holes line up. The only problem was, on both sides, the fascia had to have a small slit cut. It cannot be seen from the rear. I'm glad I took the chance and ordered it. Thanks for your info.
  • Options
    rmscs1rmscs1 Member Posts: 5
    The patches are on the inside of the sheet metal behind the trunk liner on either side of the trunk. They are large 12x24 or so and firmly glued to the sheet metal. Thanks for your assistance.
  • Options
    scottevilscottevil Member Posts: 1
    Hi I own a 93' toyota camry LE and lately it hasnt been shifting correctly,the rpms wont go any higher than a little over 2000rpms in second gear, and my overdrive light flashes on and off when I have overdrive on. I dont have a users manual so I cant use that. any help would be much appreciated.

and if anyone knows where I could get a replacement driver side seat belt that would be greeat.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.