Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cougar Support Group - A New Start

Comments

• Options
    catscratchcatscratch Member Posts: 34
    jdice:

Why wait? You'll get almost the exact same car. Granted, there is bound to be some "upgrades", but it's still a brand new car. My tenative pickup date is June 19th. I plan to keep my kitty for a VERY long time, if I can hold off the temptation of the Cougar S when/if it starts rolling off the assembly line.

I'm getting a 2000 Cougar 'cuz it's, IMHO, the best sports coupe of 2000. In my case, it doesn't pay to wait. And who's to say that the '01 won't take a step backword?

Anyway, I hope I get the new seats in my Kitty =) Not that I didn't like the "old" ones.

Catscratch
  • Options
    stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    jdice, I agree with catscratch: Why wait? You're obviously putting yourself through a lot of turmoil over what -- a number. It's a good car no matter what model year you buy. I typically would never buy the first model run of a make of car, but with the Cougar it was a winning gamble. Mine runs great, looks great, sounds great, is comfortable, powerful, and groovy.

Good luck.

(besides, I'm sure Mercury is holding out on info because that's what car companies do. They hold out, hoping to get your attention so that you will buy the next model year. It's an anticipation selling tactic. If they don't say anything, the rumor mill spins up. The more people that anticipate what's coming, the more people that will tend to buy whatever they come out with. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.)
  • Options
    badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    The Cougar is groovy, It's GROOVY BAYBAY!
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    I can understand where you're coming from. If you're planning on selling the car on 12/00, then you'll miss out on the couple of $$. But if you're keeping the car (and that's the real question here), then it shouldn't matter. I'm more concerned about how they're gonna change the 2001--does it actually look better, perform better?? I doubt if they can make it look better. They could improve the performance, however.

But getting an '01 SC2 is a big mistake (especially if you're not selling it come 12/00). I looked at the SC2 before I bought the Cougar. There are 2 things the SC2 has going for it: (1) dent resistant door panels, and (2) 3rd door. But you will sacrifice on performance (puny 124 hp engine--and that's the upgrade engine) and won't get all the "looks" and compliments that goes with the Cougar.

Your choice, but it should be a no-brainer.
  • Options
    With the exception of new seats and a possible upgraded cup holder, I have heard of no other changes to the 2001 cat. I can't imagine them changing the body this soon in to the model run.
  • Options
    jdicejdice Member Posts: 24
    Yeah, it's mostly the model changes, but also the `oldness' of the car does make a difference even farther down the line. Also, the SC2 actually has one more thing going for it over the Cougar - the sunroof. The Cougar's sunroof sucks :(
  • Options
    dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    I cannot believe that Ford would put a "worse" cupholder in a Cougar with the Sports and Convenience. Now that is [non-permissible content removed] Backwards.

I hate my cupholder. It is about the only thing I really dislike about the car. I have almost been in wrecks trying to keep a drink from spilling on me while making a right turn.

Jdice: If you really want a Saturn, buy it, if not get the Cougar. However I would rather have the 2000 model year of a car I wan't then have the 2001 model year of a car I don't want because it's "newer".

I mean if you could get a 01 Saturn before your factory ordered 00 Cougar your 01 Saturn could have actually been made at the same time or sooner.

I mean, bought my 99 Cougar in June of 99 and I have no complaints.
  • Options
    panthapantha Member Posts: 6
    Do any of you do this?

Purposely wait for the light to change red so you can stick your nose out in the right turn lane. (So more people can see your car.)?

Drive real slow on the left turn light?

Leave people as a speck of dust around corners?

wear cool sunglasses AT ALL TIMES?

Well . . . I do and here is a picture of my car:

http://user.icx.net/~mfauve/Display/display.html

Mindy
  • Options
    Driving slow is something I hardly ever do. I either drive the speed limit, or I am punching it to the speed limit, or I am punching it beyond the speed limit........

Yeahhh Babeee! Growwwwl.....Oh Behave!

(I love Austin Powers by the way)
  • Options
    ciaraciara Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone else received info lately from FMC on their xtended service plan? 60,000 miles/6years for $930. $100 deductible covers any repair. Was wondering if this was worth it
  • Options
    jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I have heard changes will be made to the front and rear facia, headlamps with projector beams, different seats, and brushed aluminum instrument cluster. Can't vouche for the validity, but the changes would be typical of a mid cycle change.
  • Options
    sherwincsherwinc Member Posts: 4
    Although I don't have any qualms about my Coug's reliability, I purchased the ESP plan you are talking about. I think mine is for 6/60 as well, but it is their ESP Plus (whatever they call their top of line warranty) and I think I paid less for it.

I had a Contour SE for a couple of years and never had a problem with it, and don't expect any problems with the Coug, but have you looked in the V6 engine compartment? It is totally packed in there, which means if ANYTHING major goes wrong (seals, steering rack, whatever), it will cost lots just for labor. That's why I opted for the warranty.
  • Options
    meowlammeowlam Member Posts: 9
    I've wondered what the Citrus Gold looks like - Now that I've seen it, I think it's my second fav nexto to my Laser Red kitty. Thanks for the pic!
  • Options
    lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    I like my Sport cupholder. That's because I never put a drink in it. I just like to pull it up and bang it down and hear the plastic noises.
  • Options
    jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    From what I've heard and seen, your dealer is the last place on earth you'd want to buy an extended warranty. They're WAAAAYY overpriced, and there are lots of other places you can get a good extended warranty for at a lot less cost to you. Your car insurance is one of them, and there are several companies on the internet that advertise. I know for a fact that my car insurance company can slice the price in half of the car dealer, and still covers bumper to bumper. I know that Consumer Reports has some kind of extended warranty company too. My advice is to shop around- and don't get ripped off by the dealer!!!
  • Options
    jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    Now I've got the "dealers" skit from the 'Groove Tube' movie going through my head! Anyone else familiar with that movie? Sorry, I'll try to talk about cars from now on.....
  • Options
    mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    Badulah - yes, we do have special packages in different regions. It is very normal. Certain options are more important than others depending upon geography.

Sunroof - no changes for 2001.

2001 MY - yes there are changes. JRP6977 hmmmm. I wonder where you get your information.

The Mercury Question - Is anyone else tired of reading about this? I am. Mercury is NOT going away.
  • Options
    stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    I'm tired, MWS. Mercury has been a staple in the American Automotive business for way too long to be tossed aside. Just because Chrysler is ditching Plymouth like they ditched Eagle does not mean it's a trend.
  • Options
    MWS0520:
    I tried to tell them that (Mercury is not going away), but do they listen to me, Nooooooooooooo, of course not. Badulah = Chop Liver.

Are you implying that JRP6977's information is correct? Can you tell us the complete list of changes for 2001? I think it would help a number of us out if we knew what they were.

Dgemini:
    Yeah the cup holder is a POC (piece of crap) and we all know it. I would prefer that it didn't even come with one, like the Euro-Kitty.

All:
    Last night I went home and detailed the Cat again. After I was finished (around 6:30pm) I decided to take a ride around town. The moment I pulled out of my driveway I felt like I stepped in to some kind of would be car commercial (we all know it would be a Cougar commercial though, since Mercury doesn't seem to believe in them).

I pulled out of my driveway with the windows down, sunroof open, Oakley sunglasses on, and my 70's wanna-be funk mix CD playing (lots of wawa pedal played to a funk rif). I drove up the block slowly and my neighbor was watering his grass, he waved and said "Hey Rob!". I smiled and waved back. I then made two turns and pulled out on to the main drag. I was in a cruising mood, so I kept the revs and my speed low so I could enjoy the moment. At the corner I stopped for a red light and I noticed a Police cruiser tucked away in the corner running radar, the Cop behind the wheel waved to me as I cruised past him (friend of mine). As I passed a few kids sitting on the front stoop of their house they looked over at me and I cold see the envy in their young eyes as they gleamed at the shiny Cat pumping out the cool tunes. I then came to the next stop light (double lane) and two big guys in a convertible Mustang Cobra pulled up next to me. We exchanged glances and when the light turned green they peeled out like two psychos, and I casually make a right turn all the while keeping my cool. Up the road there were two young girls jogging up the other side of the street, as I passed I looked over at them and we exchanged smiles.

After that exchange the commercial ended and an SUV cut me off (DAMN THOSE SOCCER MOMS AND THEIR CAR CRUSHING SUVs!)

With the exception of the SUV part, I felt like I was in a commercial. It was cool, but kind of freaky all at the same time.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    badulah - I bet your CAT was gleaming.
  • Options
    giddeup_50giddeup_50 Member Posts: 27
    I agree... The sunroof is bad. So I didn't opt for one. Though I have seen a few aftermarket ones in MI that really make it look sweet. Full Moonroof and a full opening electronically controlled. Looks better than most factory installs.

Seats - I too drive 600/700 miles at a crack and I get sore from driving so long but not uncomfortable from the seats.
  • Options
    Is the sun roof really That bad? I know it's kind of small, but I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Fish8:
    Yep the Cat is shining! Although I will have to hit it again after work with the quick detailer. Stinking pollen!
  • Options
    jdicejdice Member Posts: 24
    Badulah, yes, the sunroof is that bad. It sucks hard, it barely opens at all. giddeup (or anyone with aftermarket moonroof), you say that the aftermarket moonroof actually opens all the way, rather than like 1/3 of the way (as in the factory sunroof)? Any idea where I could get more information about this, get it done for my kitty if I get one, etc?
  • Options
    Well excuuuuuuuuse me.
  • Options
    LOL LOL
  • Options
    malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    I think I speak for all us cat lovers and nothing on the cougar sucks that bad. Any sunroof at all is better than nothing. Speaking as a soon to be cat owner, I will welcome the sucky sunroof with open arms and LOVE IT.
  • Options
    Pantha:
    If I didn't own a Cougar, I probably wouldn't like you. In fact, I'd probably hate you for making me miss the light.

But thanks for posting your Citrus Gold Cat--I had never seen one before. The color takes some getting used to--just can't seem to picture the Cat in that color.

BTW, I was expecting your picture to include you with cool shades on. What's up with that!?!

Re: Sunroof
    Yeah, it doesn't open as much as I'd like, but it's still better than not having one at all.

Re: Cupholder
    I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but when I have the cupholder up, I end up scratching my right hand when I pull the handbrakes up.

So now, I'm always conscious to finish my drink ASAP and have that cupholder down before I scratch my hand.

Jdice:
    You seem like your down on the Cougar and more into SC2. But as an owner of a Cougar, I can tell you that the Cougar will transform you as a car owner. I never hand-washed nor hand-waxed any of my previous cars. Most of my previous cars have been basic transportation--point A to point B vehicles. I always parked as close possible to where ever I was going, but now I park as far away as I can from the next car--usually a corner spot. I doubt if a Saturn will make me do that.

I don't really wanna bad-mouthed Saturns 'cause I had considered buying one myself. There nice cars--basic transportation--but still nice cars. Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    rocket15rocket15 Member Posts: 1
    I was at my LM dealer waiting for mudflaps to be installed on my '99 Ash Gold Cougar. I strolled over to the new Cougars and they had 3 2001's in stock. Pricing and colors seem to be the same as the 2000's. Even the salesman that greeted me didn't realize that they had some 2001's. Go figure. Looks like they had the same stupid cupholder on the sport package as mine.
  • Options
    mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    Rocket15 - the 2001's have not been produced yet. What you saw was a computer glitch which we know about. The dealer should have replaced the window sticker. Can you send me the name, city, state of the dealer. Dealers received new window labels. They should have replaced them.

Thanks for the notification.
  • Options
    ferrywhistleferrywhistle Member Posts: 30
    Well, I seen a Civic SI for the first time yesterday. I parked right next to it. The wheels were pretty cool. That's about all I can say about it. The car itself looked like a plain old two door Civic. I wasn't impressed. Especially when I looked back and seen it sitting next to my cat. It might as well been a station wagon next to my pretty kitty.
  • Options
    Check this out. All I can say is what a shame.

http://www.skyboom.com/madcougars/jersey.html
  • Options
    I.... I ...... I don't know what to say.

Why?....... Dear God, Why!!!!

(Eyes welling up with tears)
    I'm sorry (trying to hold back the tears), but I need to excuse myself.

(Tears run down Badulah's face as he runs to hid from the hideous pictures of the mangled Cat).
  • Options
    I'm not quite sure what to say about that. I feel like I just looked at a picture of the Statue of Liberty covered in feces.
  • Options
    (Badulah is still weeping in a stall of the men's bathroom)
  • Options
    People are actually saying all the stickers and ground effects improve on the Cougars lines.
  • Options
    (ferrywhistle is still hoping that person doesn't reproduce and contaminate the gene pool even further)
  • Options
    Did you click on "Home" at the top of that page? There are pictures of a red car that is similarly defaced. The red one has one of those ridiculous spoilers on the back bought only by men with certain types of complexes.
  • Options
    ????????

O yeah, stickers are a definite plus (Rolls his eyes).

Nothing like a car full of stickers that don't mean a thing.

As far as the effects go, I have seen a few kits that look good, but some are horrible. Either way they add weight to the car and they cut down on aerodynamics.

To each their own.
  • Options
    All:
    Does anyone happen to have a few pics of the old Cougar commercials? I need a few pics of the commercial where the guy in the black leather jacket is trying to track down the driver of the silver Cougar. I think it takes place in the desert. I'm working on something and these pictures would come in handy.

Any help would be appreciated!
  • Options
    giddeup_50giddeup_50 Member Posts: 27
    Guess I'm spoiled since my other car is a 5.0 convertible.

I have been thinking of an aftermarket sunroof.
    The product is a VERMEULEN HOLLANDIA Sunroof. I do not know exactly which model I saw but it is either a Hollandia Emerald or a Hollandia Onyx. You would have to contact Krug LM in Dearborn MI to see who they contracted out for their installs.

I have always been nervous about hacking at an otherwise perfect sheet of metal...
  • Options
    ptailorptailor Member Posts: 42
    I've got the Hollandia Emerald S installed my cougar.
    Pros:
    - Dark tint Glass
    - Sunshade with air vents
    - Seems to be very strong and durable
    - Built in wind deflector
    - Auto-reverses if something is in the way
    of the sunroof closing
    - Can be programmed to Auto-close when you
    turn off your car
    Cons:
    - Doesn't look as nice as the stock sunrooof
    from outside. (ruins the nice curve on the
    roof)
    - There is no hard backing on the headliner.
    so in areas near the sunroof you can
    easily rip a hole in the headliner if you
    push up to hard on it.
  • Options
    coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    I brought some hankies, badulah.

I kept thinking of the Drew Carey Show.....this is the Mimi of Cougars :P

I have to admit I didn't wait for all the pictures to finish loading. Tell me there wasn't a sticker of the pee-boy on there please!
  • Options
    I don't know which was worse--waiting for the pictures to download or looking at the pictures themselves.

I say we take up a collection among the CSG members and use the money to get our fellow Cat owner some medical attention (before he/she gives the rest of us a bad name). Is there a cure for such a disease???
  • Options
    fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Yeah if you think that cat is butt check out this sticker loaded cat, heck I could probably take it off the line.....
    this cat is probably soo slow from all of its stickers..
    /insert sarcasm here/
  • Options
    malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    I just have to ask why...and say when the pictures downloaded I yelled oh no! 2 co-workers came running in they thought I got hurt! They felt my pain when they saw the pics and started rolling with laughter.
  • Options
    I think the Cat you posted is the Mumm Brothers Cougar that races in the Speedvision Touring Class. I watched part of that race last week and it was cool to see the Cougar race against other cars(i.e. Intergra, BMW and others). I will tell you that the Cougar you have posted will FLY. It would kill any of our Cats. Where did you get that picture? Just wondering.
  • Options
    california1california1 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to disagree here, but I think the blue graphics are kind of cool on the aforementioned Cougar that everyone is slamming. I can do without the promotion on the back window, but if it serves a purpose then so be it. Like all of you, I think the stock Cougar looks great, but to be honest I like a lot of what I see in the aftermarket. Wings West, Roush, Visteon (old Inform Design kit), and Razzi all have nice packages. Although not not a favorite of mine, the Kaminari kit also has some merit. Here in California you see every kind of car and modification, and I must say, the modified Cougars are real eye catchers!

As a potential Cougar buyer, I come to this site (and others like it) to get information. I also see it as a great way to develop a rapport with other owners (especially when I read about an event like the Cougar Fest 2000). I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but why admonish someone for modifying their Cougar. I mean if you're trying to develop a huge Cougar following and sense of camaraderie, then everyone should be viewed as part of the family (what better way to build a powerhouse club and following).

Just my point of view. Oh, and I visited the Cougar Fest 2000 page and noticed quite a few of those who registered have modified their cars...just an observation.
  • Options
    fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    I hope you realize the /insert sarcasm here/ tag that I posted... :)
    I got it from the CSG web site. And yes it would wipe all of our cougars :)

Hey california1 excellent points... I thought the guys over at NECO were harsh
    I'm harsh too sometimes...

So who is following me to CougarFest2000?

And anyone coming to AutoX :) (check cougar events forum)
  • Options
    I must say I agree with you. Even though I like Badulah would NEVER do something like that to my cat.

As long as more interest can be built up in the kitty and lead to a greater amount of aftermarket PERFORMANCE products we shouldn't complain.

I am also from california by the way, what part are you from? I am from L.A.
  • Options
    jschuld1jschuld1 Member Posts: 2
    I love my Cougar ....drives like a dream...what a great automobile...Thanks Mercury!
This discussion has been closed.