Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Cleaning Interior & Exterior Surfaces

Comments

• Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    My nine year old created a new 'WMD' using a basic household food item. Take one of those Dannon drinkable yogart containers, take a few sips, cap reasonably tight, and leave under the front passengers seat for a few days to bake in the hot sun! The pressure builds, and eventually blew the top.

The stench of 'strawberry vomit' nearly killed me! Fortunately, 'Pet-Tastic' (formally Natures Miracle) is doing a decent job of neutralizing it.

Steve
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Thanks for the heads up, no yogurt in the car, check!

-juice
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    No food allowed in my car period.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I'm a half step away from saying no kids in my car. Strap the rugrats to my roofrack, or put them in the utility trailer! ;)

Steve
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    As a potential candidate for the VP of the OCD club, I can say that over time it gets better.

My boy is now approaching 10, and don't shudder at the thought of my wife handing him a bag of goldfish crackers and a couple of juice boxes while on the road. And we are talking about her Seamist/Light Tan Outback with cloth! After almost 3 years, the interior is still in decent shape.

Although I will admit that I still can't handle the thought of soccer cleats against the back of the passenger seat on my new LGT with leather! :surprise: Rob M.
  • Options
    If you are VP, I'll run for treasurer or secretary....

Beth's Odyssey, also an '02 but 6 months newer than my OBW, is our 'beater'. Emily actually came to me with a long face last week, after sideswiping the van with the handlebar of her bike (aluminum hand brake protrudes). I looked at the scratch, shrugged, asked her to be more careful, and walked away. Had it been the OB, I'd probably still be crying!

Steve
  • Options
    rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    As of late, it seems we're carrying more than 5 passengers in our outback. I keep a fairly clean car, but we're having trouble with ants. :sick:

I'm planning to do a very thorough vacuuming and shampooing, and spray some non-toxic ant killer in all the cracks. Does anybody know if it works? I think it's by Victor, it's got mint oil and soap in it.

I'm a little leery about using regular bug spray. Any suggestions? :confuse:

Eric
  • Options
    Get an ant eater? :-)

Spiders and frogs also help.

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    How about parking your car in the sun on a hot summer day? I would assume the ants couldn't survive very long without any food.

I wonder how the ants are getting into your vehicle to begin with. Is there a nest near where you normally park you car?

I haven't used it in a car, but diatomaceous earth works very well with ants. It's non-toxic and works by physically scarring the ants outer shell. The scars cause them to dehydrate and die (sounds so evil). It might be messy in the car, but you could conceivably vaccum up after the work's done.

Ken
  • Options
    rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    I actually thought about that one juice! :P The anteater could ride in the back, and I already have a pet mat back there.

Ken:

I think that may be part of the problem. My mom started what she thought was going to be a garden compost pile but ended up turning into an ant colony.

I really need to get at the nest first I suppose.

Thanks for the info about the diatomaceous earth.

Eric
  • Options
    dez212fudez212fu Member Posts: 1
    I may not be able to help but I can tell you my story so you get atleast a good laugh. I was driving to work last summer when I saw 1 tiny ant running around the steering wheel. I smashed the bugger and see one more following. Then on the dash 4-6 more. (Humm now what the Heck is going on here) A few miles go by and I change the station on the radio to find nothing I was in the mood to hear so I turn on the CD player. That cd was played out the day before so I ejected it to pop in a new one. This is a true story!!! Out comes the cd along with a colony of ants pouring out of the slot and then out of the vents, knobs buttons etc... I have no idea how the heck I made it the rest of the way to work. I tell my story at work looking for help and all I got was laughs and jokes. It was kinda funny looking back. I borrowed my bosses car an went to Home Depot and bought a 4,000sf coverage bomb!!!!! Do not bomb your car!!! This was a BAD idea. LOL The roof was dripping and the interior was yuckey. Oh not to mention I had dead ants behind the buttons on the cd player that made the buttons all stick. :) Good luck! Next time I will try basic ant traps.
  • Options
    Cant say I envy you. ;)

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
  • Options
    kctngukctngu Member Posts: 3
    Hello All,

Finally a Subi owner....YEAH!!!

Can anyone tell me what I can use to get these light white scratch mark off my red Forester. I think it's just in the clearcoat. If I run my finger over it, it feel smooth. It's all on the door. Not a alot but I can't stand it!

Thanks for all your help!

Kim
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    The first thing I'd try is clay. (After you wash the car.) In fact I'd clay the whole car. It is truly amazing how much smoother it makes the surface of the car feel. If clay doesn't remove it then try a glaze or mild polish.

But after that, you'll need to wax it.

Jim
  • Options
    Thanks Jim!
  • Options
    New to the forum and a first time Subie owner. I love the OCD! I finally found my place in the world :)

I just got a used 2002 Forester S premium with 16" alloyed wheels and the color is sedona red pearl. I'm loving the ride and this is my first car that I bought and not a hand me down. I want it to last FOREVER!!! The previous owner kept it up very well. He washed the car ever week at a car wash and did all the exterior detail work there too. He did mostly interior work himself and wash engine twice a year. Very OCD!!!! I would like to keep this up and I want your opinion on car care products (exterior and interior). So this is what I have come up with so far from reading some of the messages in this forum. I think this will definitely help additional newbies.

Note: I live in an apartment and will have to wash my car at a self service station or go through an automatic laser wash.

Exterior:
    1. Mother's clay and detailer (for lubricant)
    2. Klasse - Menzerna Complete Kit (from properautocare.com) includes:
    Klasse All-In-One (16.9 oz.)
    Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (16.9 oz.)
    Menzerna Gel 7.5 Tire & Wheel Cleaner (16 oz.)
    Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield (16 oz.)
    2 Microfiber Applicator Pads
    3 Microfiber Final Wipe Towel
    Now I have a quick questions: Can I use the AIO on my rims and tires? Will it give me a tire dressing look? And does AIO replace waxing?

I think this will work on all exterior care. Need input.

Interior:
    1. Meguiars NXT Generation Glass Cleaner (interior and exterior). I think this is
    safe for tinted window too.
    2. 303 Aerospace Protectant (rubber, rubber seals, vinyl and plastic)
    3. Leather care???

One more thing. Does anyone here ever wash there engine? Can you give step by step on how to do it???

Thanks a bunch!
    Kim :P
  • Options
    Most rims are painted, so yes you can wax (or AIO) them.

Not sure about tires, though. Of course I haven't tried Klasse.

-juice
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    I use Vinylex on both my interior and tires, not a high gloss, but lasts weeks. For leather, try Lexol by the same manufacturer. Congrats on the new subie
  • Options
    That sounds like a pretty comprehensive kit. The Klasse AIO and SG will keep your paint protected very well. You will not need a traditional wax if you use this combination, unless you want a different shine. The Menzerna HGAS works very well too. I use it in between Klasse SG applications to keep the finish slippery smooth. Just remember to give the Klasse SG about 24 hours to cure before putting on additional layers or the HGAS.

While Klasse works well on rims, I don't think it would do much on tires. Instead, you probably want to use some water-based tire dressing. I recently tried using Michellin's 3-in-1 tire dressing and it works quite well.

You can clean the engine bay with some Simple Green and a garden hose. On a cool engine, cover the alternator with a plastic bag, spray Simple Green around the engine bay, wait a few minutes and then rinse off with a gentle flow from a hose. That should get off a good deal of the gunk.

Ken
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    One of the guys on the Epiphone board suggested using Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover on my Les Paul, which after 10 years has a bunch of them as well as fine surface scratches (think clear coat). Question # 1...does it have silicone as an ingredient? Question#2...if it doesn't, has anyone used it and what were your results, opinions, etc.
    As ever, your humble South Florida Correspondent, where every vote counts as long as it's republican (then they count twice!)
    Serge
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    To the best of my knowledge Serge there is no silicone in the Meguiars otherwise body shops wouldn't be using it. I have used it in the past with great results and would highly recommend it. BTW it is clear coat safe so it is not abrasive.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    and save the inflamatory political comments for a more appropriate forum.

-Frank
  • Options
    After 15" or so this week, the Subi looked like it had just come from a car wash - beautifully clean with water beading. So I took advantage of the situation, & did a Meguars Quick Detailer job with those microfiber cloths that you guys forced me to get. Wow, does it look nice today!

Steve
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i took the subi into a grassy/mud area. wow does it look good all covered in mud.

it was so much fun 4 wheel drifting with the throttle buried, mud flying everywhere....

it is so windy today i think i will just have to park it outside and the mud should all be blown off.

btw i am still racing my sailboat on weekends and that wind yesterday made for many moments of complete fright. 3 of the other boats capsized in the winds. i made out well with a 2nd tier victory and a busted lip from a swinging boom.
  • Options
    Oh, you wild and crazy guy!
  • Options
    Was the boom mad? Did you tell the boom it looked like a Tribeca? :D

After a road trip to CT, mine is ready for a good wash. I'll probably wax her to get her ready for winter while I'm at it.

-juice
  • Options
    smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    After last week's neverending rain, I figured I better take advantage of the nice weather this weekend to put on my autumn application of Klasse All-in-One.

In between washes, I try to nip bugs, tar, and bird droppings in the bud with a Mother's moistened wipe product. Generally speaking, it works pretty well (uncannily so on droppings). However, there were some tar/bug stains that just seemed to be welded permanently on the car -- they'd lasted through several scrubbings and several months' worth of regular washes.

You guessed it -- those stains came off almost instantly with the AIO.

This is the third time I've applied it, and I've found that you get a better short-term result if you use as little of the product as possible. Just apply a small dab to a fairly damp applicator pad to a small section of the car, then wipe up/buff immediately (I have had the best results with good microfiber towels). But I'll be interested to see if using less product means the coating won't last as long.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

Wednesday, Feb. 1
    6-7pmPT, 9-10pmET
  • Options
    newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    Did anyone get on this chat last night? Anyone try these Eagle One products? Just curious - if not, what's your fav? I see Klasse was mentioned above. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'd like to try out their new quick detailing products. I don't always have the time for a full wash, and I think that would work well for me between washes.

-juice
  • Options
    newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    I hear ya - just read back a few pages, plenty of info on car cleaning products - way to go OCD'ers.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The transcript should be posted in a few days. Check this page.

Chat Transcripts
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I've used Nano Wax on the Jeep.

Items of note: easy-on & easy-off, leaves no residue on black trim. Didn't do a serious analysis on final appearance though.

This is in comparison to Meguiar's #26 paste wax.

Jim
  • Options
    I've set aside tomorrow morning for my (delinquent) spring application of Klasse All in One. I'm going to clay for the first time as well -- the plastic baggie test revealed lots of embedded surface crud.

Today in preparation I inspected the car to check for problem areas that I'd need to spend extra time on, like bird droppings on the roof that are hidden by the crossbars or rails and stay there for months, or tar/bugs on the front end or wheel wells. Fortunately there wasn't much of that, but I did notice how horribly swirled-up the edges of the roof have gotten from my regular automatic car washes. (I'm talking about the areas that would be the tops of the front/back doorframes if the Subaru didn't have frameless windows.) The Klasse will hide some of the swirls, but I'm going to have to polish this fall, I'm guessing.

On a recent long road trip, I stumbled upon a nice automated touchless car wash off I-80 in western PA. It got the car much cleaner than an automated brush would; it totally removed the billions of dead bugs we accumulated in Ohio (which is a phenomenon that probably deserves its own post). The only drawback was some spotting/streaking, especially around the edges of all the glass, but if the trade-off is not having the paint swirled to kingdom come, I can live with that.

Unfortunately, after Googling and asking around and even calling the proprietor of the PA wash, I haven't been able to find a touchless in any of the five boroughs, Westchester, Fairfield, or Bergen Counties. Any Tri-State area folks know of a touchless in our neck of the woods?
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm not answering your quesiton, but did want to recommend 3M Swirl Mark Remover. It can be found at most auto parts stores and does a good job.

I've found that Klasse doesn't really fill in swirl marks as advertised. It gets the paint very clean and ready for a sealant layer. I hope that you don't stop just with the All-in-One (AIO). AIO will not offer much protection for your paint. You really need to top off with an acrylic or polymer sealant for the best results.

Also, any reason why you use automatic car washes? If you can, you should at least try to use the self-service wash bays.

Ken
  • Options
    Thanks for the swirl product tip -- I'll put it on my shopping list for my autumn detailing.

I'm comfortable with stopping at the AIO. It seems to hold up pretty well, at least if water beading is any indication. FWIW, the car is kept in an enclosed garage and is driven mainly on weekends, so maybe that's buying me some protection and time.

I don't think there's a self-service wash bay within 20 miles of here.Even the fancy car washes use automatic brush washes to do the bulk of the work. I'd wash it myself, but it just isn't logistically possible (our co-op doesn't allow washing in the garage, busy urban street, etc.). I do the semi-annual detailings at Grandpa's house in the 'burbs.

P.S. We almost got into a horrible accident coming back to the city today. I'll post details as soon as I find the best thread for a "near miss" story.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Probably would be good to post here:
    Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories)
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Don't know of any touchless car washes in the NYC area, but I do know several places that do wash by hand. Would that help?

Mark
  • Options
    That'd be great, Mark. I live in Riverdale, if that helps narrow the focus for you.

Thanks.
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Smitty,

These are the ones I know:
    Brooklyn
    Ave. Y and E.17th Street - I think it is Golden Car Wash

Staten Island
    Scotty's Car Wash - Victory Blvd and Richmond Ave.
    - they do a nice detailing job, as well as different levels of hand wash.

Hylan Blvd near Jefferson Ave (not sure of the name)

I know those are a bit of a trek for you, but they are the only ones I'm aware of.

Mark
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Had to take down that last post because of the size of the image. Oversized images case the right margin of the message area to move undere the right side videos and cause us a few problems.

So please remember to check the size of the image you wish to share before you add it to a post. If it's larger than 500 pixels wide, just post the URL to the pic. That way, others can still see it full size in the new window that it will open in and we avoid the margin issue.

An easy way to "resize" images is to put them in a CarSpace photo album and then link to them from there. They come out just the right size for posting that way!
  • Options
    Sorry about that. Could you just remove the linked photo instead and retain the URL?

I didn't want to retype the entire message.

Ken
  • Options
    Here are the photos that were deteled along with my entire post. Unfortunatley, I don't exactly remember what I wrote, but I used a new product, Wolfgang, to detail the car.

More photos at my .mac site: http://web.mac.com/suzukanaken/iWeb/Site/LGT.html

Ken
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Nice shots Ken. I see you don't drive with a license plate. ;)

Bob
  • Options
    Thanks, Bob. Acutally, I removed the plates so I could clean the car. You'll be surprised how much dirt gets trapped between the plates and bumpers.

Ken
  • Options
    You had me at "removed the plates".

OCD baby! :shades:

-juice
  • Options
    rumi4rumi4 Member Posts: 1
    Is it ok to use the automatic car washes that pull your vechicle along? I wonder, because all-wheel drive vehicles are not to be towed and should just be transported on flat-beds. Could having it pulled by a car wash cause any harm?
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Don't they usually push the vehicle from the rear tire? vehicle should be in neutral at that point, plus it probably wouldn't be that much different than if the vehicle was rolling downhill. And it's not like you're going miles and miles that way, really only about 200ft or so. So, automatic car washes are probably just fine.

The fear with actual towing is that if it's not on a flatbed, 2 wheels would be on the ground and the other two strapped. That would cause the issue with the transfer case and leave you with a costly repair.

-Brian
  • Options
    subi4obssubi4obs Member Posts: 32
    My Subaru Impreza Outback Sport is far more of a workhorse than showcar to me so I don't clean it often at all, just a wash/wax combo every few months. I use an electric pressure washer at home, along with sponge, either using a single wash/wax liquid or separate bottles of detergent and wax (again, liquid type). I've only done a wax/polish using an orbital polisher/buffer once in the two years since getting the car. :P

So... my worst enemy is bug splatter all over the front end and side mirrors. I finally got a bug and tar remover, the Rain*X brand, recently it did a fair job of helping clean the car. I had wanted to try Turtle Wax Platinum Bug and Tar Remover because I had read it was very good, but no place seemed to have it. I grabbed the RainX instead, noticing their "protector" stuff in a spray can so I bought both. Later realized the spray was rather temporary, lasting at most 2 weeks, label even says it could be "rinsed" off easily. No doubt must be reapplied if it rains, luckily we've had almost no rain here for a while. Something I'm not sure about yet is how the protectant looked after applied, it gave the headlights a frosted appearance-- likewise the paint finish-- but got a little clearer over time. I think I shook the can enough, just not positive I did. I'll know more about that next time.

That spray isn't exactly cheap and I don't think it'll last for too many applications so it might not be worth it. That's why I think I'll post back here at some point to say how it went. Maybe one of you out there has already used this stuff so could reply to say something?

I've only had it on my car for a week and I'll be trying a quick wash next week to see how it did then. But like I said, I'll want to check into it over the next several months (maybe in Springtime again, bugs are almost out-of-season now).

I've used RainX glass treatment as washer fluid for many years and on previous cars going back to around 1990(?), so I definitely like how it works on the windshield. Got the RainX Antifog Wipes for inside of windows last year but only used 3 times so far as of last week. I clean the inside windows even less than the outside of the car. Not sure I could say how well those wipes work but I think they do help for a while anyway.

Oh, but I used ammonia glass cleaner (Gunk brand) first, always do. Those wipes can't handle my filmy windows unless clean. I tend to only wipe down my driverside inside windshield with a dry cloth or napkin every few months when washing the car (or if the sunlight glares on the glass between washes). :blush: I don't smoke or I'd be looking through haze all the time.

Almost forgot what else I was going to say...

My last vehicle (a truck) had aluminum wheels, like this car does now, and I learned a lesson about keeping those things clean. I only washed that truck and its wheels about as much as this car-- probably less-- and the brake dust got on them and I could never get it scrubbed off using soap and water. Never bought a wheel cleaner until getting the new Subaru. I wasn't going to let that happen again!

What I use is Prestone Wheel Cleaner with Brake Dust Repellent (no idea what brand or type is best, I just chose what looked right). It definitely has stopped the wheels from caking up with dirt, but I still only wash those when I do the rest of the car so it's a rather intermittent thing once again.