Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I use 6-8 inch shop clamps when I push the pistons back in, Elissa may not have a C-clamp with that large an opening. What's the smallest you think she would need?

Dusty
  • Options
    Elissa, the "rubbery thing" is the dust boot at the end of the piston. When the piston is pushed all the way into the piston bore (caliper) the rubbery end will be nearly flush with the inside wall of the caliper body.

The piston needs to be all of the way into the caliper body in order to get the pads over the rotor.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Thank you everyone for the moral and technical support! It's been a long day but the brakes are done! My first ever! The first one took 7 hours, the second one took 30 minutes ;-) I'd say that bpeebles post #1693 was my Bible, despite the other sites. Without his reference to the caliper bolts require 7mm allen wrench, those brakes would still be on there - none of the allen wrench sets at my auto body shop carried 7mm! I had to search for one! Anyway, for another newby to brake removal I would add to 1693 the following:

1) the caliper removal bolts are in the back of the caliper, toward the engine. (I did say I'd NEVER changed brakes before, right?!?!) :-)

2) The curvy metal retaining spring/clip on the front of the caliper is a [non-permissible content removed] to remove and and install and both can be accomplished (as someone else said) with three hands, some brute force and a little angling/wiggling.

3)Both the caliper and the brake disk/rotor removal MAY require a rubber mallet or hammer to jolt some rust loose.

4) The C-Clamp comes in handy (this was not initially obvious to me, not being able to tell what the piston was and being bad at spacial relations) as follows: insert the rod/spinning portion of the c-clamp inside the piston (cylindrical non-metal portion coming out from the inside of the caliper, serving to press against the inside brake pad) so that it buts up against the far inside of it and tighten slowly and gently that way. I looked at that thing for a few minutes before I figured out how to use them together ;-)

5) And any tips you have for not getting crap/fingers/grease/dirt/dust on the rotors while trying to install the caliper would be MOST welcome! :-)

Other than that, I know next time will be a piece of cake!

Have a great weekend!

Elissa
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    It is IMPERITIVE that you remove all traces of grit/grease/oils from the rotor surfaces. (Even tuchhing with freshly-washed hands will leave some oil on the surface.)

The cheapest way to clean the rotor-surfaces is to use IPA (Isopropol Alcohol) You can get a bottle of it at any grocery market. Apply libberally wtih sheet of paper towel allowing plenty of excess to wash off and drip to the ground. (Taking the yukkies with it)

If you wish to spend a bit more, there are aresol sprays available that can be used to "hose off" the rotors.

Here is a link to some good tips about rotor-seasoning and bedding the pads.
    http://www.shotimes.com/brakes/part1.html
  • Options
    blueboicgblueboicg Member Posts: 2
    I saw it once but saw no reply so I'll ask. I have a 2000 Dakota Club 2WD V6. I've put some heavy mileage on her (109K now!) But she's done me well. Well her age I guess is showing. This morning when I tried to start her up she wouldn't hold an idle. That was until I put it in drive and went a bit. After that it stayed on until I cut the engine myself. I noticed though after making a trip to the store that she cranked up right away and there was no problem after that. So far it hasn't happened again but I'm afraid (and almost certain) it will. Besides, there's obviously a problem. Now before everyone asks when is the last time I've done something, if it wasn't an oil change, or balance, I didn't. I'm sorry to say I'm no auto guy. I'm pretty stupid on this stuff. Unfortunately my ex handled all the car issues. SO anyway, I think that's all the symptoms. Lately it has been revving high before it shifts down (automatic). Any ideas? Thanks folks.
  • Options
    BTW all - thanks for ALL the help on pads and rotors. I did wash them good and took all advice given. Brakes are working great now! :-D So happy/proud!

Anyway, on to my next dillema. Does anyone have a recommended interval for replacing the serpentine drive belt in the Dakota (we have a 3.L V6 RWD)? The owners manual suggests inspecting and replacing "as necessary" every 30K miles. But when do we REALLY need to do this? The truck has 60K and we're trying to sell it. At the 60K service we had done the mechanic noted "belt marginal" but didn't feel it warranted to replace yet. I don't want to pay the $400 if we don't have to but also don't want to dump it on the next person. I'm thinking drive belts usually go to 75K, am I way off here?

Thanks!
    Elissa
  • Options
    Hi, I don't know Dodges too well (more of a Japanese auto person myself) but I've considered some possibilities for you to think about. You didn't mention what the temperature and humidity was like the day that you had trouble starting. I notice you also live on the CA coast and experience the same foggy, cool mornings that we do here in Half Moon Bay, CA. You might try noticing if the hard starts are only during certain weather, that might help narrow the possibilities down. Some things I'm thinking COULD be the cause (but there are dozens of other possibilities), and I would be checking on my husbands' Dakota if he had the same trouble:

- The battery - A battery, if it is getting old and discharging, will get charged by the alternator once the truck starts running. This could be consistent with your symptoms? Batteries run down faster in colder weather I believe so you may find that when the weather and the engine are both cold, you have more trouble starting. But in warm days or after you've been driving (and charging the battery off of the alternator) that she starts fine. Check under the hood, look to make sure the connectors are not corroded. Check your maintenance records for the last time you had the battery replaced.

- leaky/faulty fuel injectors - Do you do a lot of short/local trips and rarely any highway driving? This type of driving can clog fuel injectors. It wouldn't hurt to go through a couple bottles of fuel injector cleaner before considering a $200 fuel injector cleaner job at a shop. I hear if you open your hood in complete darkness too you can see the fuel injectors giving off spark if they are leaking. Dont' know if this is true.

- spark plugs, ignition wires, ignition coil old, worn, improperly gapped, broken or loose connections. This stuff should be easy to diagnose on visual inspection or by checking your maintenance records - when was the last time you had this kind of work done? Spark plugs should be replaced every 30K in the Dakotas and ignition wires every 60K I think. Not sure off hand about the coil.

- ignition components damp. was it a particularly wet or foggy day? Do you park outside or in a garage? Do any wires under the hood look worn or exposed?

- timing/serpentine belt worn... you'd probably hear a horrible squealing noise if this were the case though. It's a fairly quick/easy inspection to look at the condition of your belts too. If you aren't familiar with appropriate tension in the belt, a mechanic could check if in 1 minute I would think. That should be $1 worth of labor, LOL!

- Engine idle could be incorrectly set. Don't know if you can manually adjust that in your truck or not. But that would probably be something you noticed as a problem more frequenty.

So there are lots of possibilities related to weather alone. Was the idle erratic or just non-existent? Did the truck start but then immediately die unless you pumped gas? What does it normally idle at in N when things are good? Oh, well, hopefully something in that list makes sense and you find the trouble before you get stranded some place.

-elissa
  • Options
    For a poor-idle quality complaint on a Dodge, clean the IM (Intake Manifold) and check the battery. Pay special attention to the IAC (Idle Air Controller).

There have been many reports of a whimpy battery causing poor idle-quality on dodges. I suspect the engine-computer is sensitive to low battery voltage and cannot do its job.
  • Options
    For some not immediately obvious reason rough idle has been attributed to a battery that is near death. I know of one person that had his rough idle problem go completely away after a new batter was installed.

Of course spark plugs can cause this, too, as well as a dirty air filter, clogged PCV valve or a vacuum leak. As Bpeebles mentioned, the Idle Air Control Motor can get dirty. These are easily removed and easily cleaned with a good fuel system solvent.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    Hi, well in the process of trying to help cparkes1 looks like my truck heard me talking about it and low and behold now my mil light is back on!!! darn it ):.. ok here are the codes I got from the truck. I looked them up and this is what I found:

P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0161 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

what exactly does this mean and what do you think is the cause and fix?
  • Options
    The 4.7L engine has 4 O2 sensors. These are the "heated" type that use electric current to help them come up to temparture faster for emmissions reasons.

Apparently 2 of the heater circuits have failed the ODB2 diagnostics. It is very unlikely that 2 of the O2 sensors have suddenly decided to die. It is more likely that a connector or ground is the problem.

Shortly after my Dak arrived from the factory, I was under the hood with a soldering iron and removed, soldered all wires that have a lug on them. I also ensured that there was clean steel (no paint) underneath each one.

In any case, you should exhaust all possibilities before letting anyone tell you that 2 of your O2 sensors need to be replaced.

I am sure that there are some relays in the box near the battery that can be swapped out (identical P/N) to see if there is a faulty relay.

I have the factory shop manual for my Dakota which includes detailed circuit analsys and schematics. Being trained in electronics, I like having these available. ;-)
  • Options
    Slick,

Your Dakota has the California emissions package (you have four O2 sensors. Federal versions only have two).

I believe you will find that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected the heater coils in both downstream O2 sensors to be open. As Bpeebles mentioned, having both O2 sensors go bad (open coils) is unlikely. My first suspect would be an open circuit via a wiring problem.

Both downstream O2 sensor heater coil circuits have the following in common:

*connectors C1 and C3 on the PCM - There are four connectors in a row on the PCM which is mounted on the inside of the right front fender. The connectors are number from the front of the vehicle, rearward (C1, C2, C3, C4). Check for a loose connector, corroded pins, or pins that are damaged or pushed back into the connector body.

*connector C106 - Located in the Power Distribution Center. this is the connector, fuse, relay panel located behind the battery. Check for a loose connector, corroded pins, or pins that are damaged or pushed back into the connector body.

*ground point G105 -A bolt located on the bottom of the engine block behind the water pump on the right side of the engine. It is very close to the crankshaft position sensor connector. There will be two black wires crimped to a single lug terminal. The wires should be covered with convolute tubing or wrapped.

You could have damaged wiring anywhere along the circuit, of course. If it's not bad wiring, the PCM is probably defective.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Hi,Thanks for your info I will ck those areas you mentioned and see what I find. I hope this is not a electrical problem. This will be my second round with this light. about 2 years ago the dealer ended up after five vists and performing a smoke test replacing the fuel tank. Since then the light has never come on again. I really feel this present problem is related with possible the fuel cap not sealing or is bad or something else since this light came on about 2 after a fill up and went off then came back on again within about two days after a fill up. I ve ck and double cked the fuel cap and its on tight and correctly, perhaps its bad? Originally when I pulled the codes from the pcm it only showed the P0141 then a few days later I cked the pcm again and a second was there the p0161
  • Options
    There is a code that is a common failure on Dakotas that are three-five years old. The evaporative lines going to the fuel tank become rotted and develop leaks. This is the same code as a loose or defective gas cap, but I forget what it is for the moment.

I have heard of a couple of Dakotas that did have a bad gas cap. Later versions got a slightly different cap design and there are two types: one with a metal case and another with a plastic case. They are not compatible with each other and represent a difference in the evaporative system.

Dusty
  • Options
    Just to ask again - any recommendations on when to replace the Dakota timing belt (since the owners manual says to inspect and replace as needed every 30K). I'm looking for something more concrete to go by.
    Elissa
  • Options
    bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    I'm looking for something more concrete to go by.

Elissa, concrete serpentine belts are very difficult with which to work. Especially during cooler weather. Sorry about that, but I couldn't resist. Usually a visual inspection that looks for dry-rot, cracking and abrasions will determine if a new belt is needed. These particular items are part and parcel with length of time and ambient conditions.

Bookitty
  • Options
    haselhasel Member Posts: 64
    look on the groved side of the belt if you have cracks across the with of the belt its time to replace. hasel
  • Options
    (Elissa) You mention "Timing Belt" and somone else mentions "serpentine belt"... which are you referring to?

If you are asking about the serpentine belt, Usually, visual inspection on a serp. belt is pretty trivial. Hasel mentions a good indicator to look for. Another indicator is the edges of the belt should not be showing threads of the cloth that make up the innards of the belt.

If you are asking about "timing belt" I am not even sure that your engine has one.
  • Options
    dakownerdakowner Member Posts: 21
    I'm about ready to take in my 03 Dakota Quad Cab (with HD suspension) for the 12,000 mile service. I'm very satisfied with the truck so far. During the last 1,000 miles or so I've noticed a "clunk" sound when turning the steering wheel at speeds of around 5 mph. Nothing at faster speeds or when turning the wheel while standing still. The truck is totally solid when encountering bumps, potholes, and expansion joints, no noises at all. Hoping this isn't ball joint related. I wonder if it might be the universal joints in the steering linkage under the hood. Anyone else experience this? I want to get some opinions before the service is done. Thanks.
  • Options
    thanks all for the belt replacement suggestions. how long have all of yours lasted?

steering clunk i recall was a problem on my husband's '01 dakota and was covered in a TSB that the dealer took care of and hasn't been a problem since (60K on the truck). i don't recall what the problem was though but please mention it to your dealer. they should fix it under warranty.
  • Options
    My '03 Dakota has 25,000 miles and the belt and steering are still like new.

I can tell, however, that the front shocks have gotten a little softer. Nothing that's a problem. I usually never replace shocks (or struts) on any of my vehicles, but this might be the first in a long time.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    datagurudataguru Member Posts: 95
    Dusty,

My observations are the same as yours. After 17,000K, both the Front and Rear shocks on my '03 QC 2WD with HD suspension has gotten really soft. I know it's normal to expect wearing but, not this soon and so soft. On occasion, I have also experienced the steering knuckle rubbing against the lower control arms (the Clunk) when the wheel is fully turned out when going over a small bump (e.g. speed bump) similar to my '01. I thought the newer models had corrected this problem with better steering components. As previously mentioned by Bruce, I guess it's almost time to replace with Edelbrock IAS shocks.

Everything else seem to function well. No other unexpected problems.

dataguru
  • Options
    I noticed the difference after driving an '04 a week ago. It's not a big difference, but still noticeable between two trucks. If I hadn't driven the other vehicle I wouldn't have even noticed it.

Steering and handling haven't been affected. Actually, since I have the heavier suspension package with front and rear sway bars, some might contend that my Dakota rides a little better.

There are no signs of leaking and other than the occasional sway bar bushing noise everything is still tight.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Just got the truck back. Service Manager says that they won't be able to diagnose the steering issue until the weather drys up. "The suspension and steering components are saturated with water which acts as a lubricant making an accurate diagnosis difficult." I'm ok with this response as they made no effort to discourage my pursuit of this issue, they just want a better day to look it over good.
  • Options
    glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    Hey all,
    Quick update - '02 QC 4x4 4.7 auto w/60,000. Going strong. Repairs; numerous ball joint/control arm replacements and power door lock solenoid replacements. Brakes are original. Edelbrock IAS have 5000 and I am pleased with the way they handle the Detroit potholes. Goodyear's are original and looking thin and will be replaced by fall. Getting 18-19mpg on highway at ~75mph or below.

Problem: HVAC blower is not working. I have looked at the easy fixes... fuses and relays are good. I want to pull the blower motor and test it, I just don't know where it is. Since Chilton/Hayes does not feel like publishing a manual (what is the deal?), I was hoping someone has had the unfortunate experience of dismantling their HVAC. I worked at a HVAC manufacture during college, so I have some knowledge of their design and function, but every vehicle is different. I am guessing it's located under the dash on the passengers side, but before I go digging, maybe someone can help me pin point the location.

Thanks, Gordon
  • Options
    ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    Gordon - I have had this problem with several vehicles and have heard it reported on Daks a few times before. In every instance the problem was not with the blower motor itself but rather with the variable resistor that controls the blower speed. I don't have my factory manual with me but I recall others saying that it was mounted somewhere on the firewall under the hood. Hope this helps.

Ron
    Springfield, VA
  • Options
    Ron,
    Thanks for the info. I did read the old posting that pertained to the resistor, but when I called the Dodge shop, they said people were probably referring to the relay in the fuse box under the hood. I will call back and see if they can give me the location of the resistor. I hope that is the problem because I wasn't looking forward to tearing apart my dash.

Gordon
  • Options
    bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    Select high speed for the fan. If the fan operates it most likely is the resistor block. Easy to change and not very expensive.
  • Options
    It was the resistor. I stopped by the dealer to pick up the $10.00 part and they showed me how to replace it. It's under the dash, passengers side, pretty much in plain view once you stick your head under there. Unlock and disconnect electrical bracket. Two 5/16 bolts and the old one was out. Saved about $50 in labor, and it took ~20min. Runs like a champ.

Thanks
  • Options
    missedbassmissedbass Member Posts: 48
    check the steering intermediate rod for play. might be that or the rack. I have a slight clunk in mine when taking off and coming to a stop and I can feel it in the steering wheel.
  • Options
    I saw this once on a '97 Dakota. Both steering rack mounting bolts were loose. This allowed the entire rack to move very slightly when the wheel was turned.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    silverbulletsilverbullet Member Posts: 2
    Hello has any heard of this and if so does it work? improves HP and better gas mileage for my thirsty steed. Also both my back up reverse lights are out. Any suggestions thanks.
  • Options
    ja812ja812 Member Posts: 33
    Failed P code P-0442.After taking into dealer ended up being the gas cap. They wanted to charge me over $46.00 to replace(with labor). My extended warranty took care of it which was a surprise to the dealer.
  • Options
    how did they determain it was the gas cap? I have my mil light on also however my codes are different and refer the oxygen sensors however the light came on after a fill up twice.
  • Options
    spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    I have no personal experience but I have friends that have installed it and I heard it discussed on Car Talk. Don't waste your money. Everyone says that it seems like it's working at first but it's really just you driving more sensibly. After a while no one can tell if it really made a difference.

The best way to improve your gas mileage is not to have a lead foot and to keep your speed below 65 mph. Works for me. I can get 12-14 mpg while pulling a motorcycle trailer (2 bikes) while passing everything in sight. If I calm down and run at 55-60 mph without the trailer, I can get 20 mpg with 4.7L, 5 sp, 3.55 LSD, 4x4, with the big tires. I've spent ~$5.5K on gas since May 2000 to go ~60K miles.
  • Options
    jones27jones27 Member Posts: 42
    The check engine soon light is a common problem with the gas cap. The light comes on because you are not getting a good seal on the gas cap. Mine comes on during the summer months (usually right before I go on vacation) and when the tank is fairly empty. Had the dealer check it two years ago and he told me it was because there was a leak in the emissions system....hence the gas cap.

I clean the o-ring off on the gas cap, put a little vasoline on it and after about 4-5 good "trips" (that means starting the truck and running it for at least 10-15 minutes) the light goes off on its' own. As soon as the light comes on, I know what I need to do........
  • Options
    jones27jones27 Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2000 Quad Cab. It came with 255/65R/15 Goodyear LS tires which lasted about 42,000 miles. Couldn't stomach paying $170/tire for replacement so I went to the Pirelli Scorpions. They lasted all of 18,000 miles. They looked great and got lots of compliments on them, but the sucked in the snow and didn't last long at all.

Searched the internet for another replacement tire and was just about to go back to the Goodyears when I came across Yokohama Avid S/T. I bought the 245/70/15. This only changes my speedometer by 1.3% and it is on the low side. That means that when I'm going 60 on the dial, I'm really only going 59. Better than getting 255/70/15 which can change the speedometer the other direction by 2.5mph.
  • Options
    I'm in the market for a manual for my '02 Dakota. I have researched the cost of an actual hard copy shop manual that a dodge service shop would use. I have also looked at the price of the CD manual, which is about 10% the cost of the hard copy. I know some people have the hard copy, and I know it would pay for itself with a couple fixes, but does anyone have experience with the CD manuals. Like vs dislikes. I know it would be a pain having to run in the house, look something up, print it off, and then throw it away when done. My father also has a Dakota, and the CD would make it easier for me to e-mail (is it possible?) portions to him. Your thoughts are appreciated

Thanks,

Gordon
  • Options
    I had a good experience when I went back to the dealership with the clunky steering. They had a service technician drive the truck with me in it and he noticed the exact same noises. I mentioned the intermediate shaft and the technician concurred. They ordered it today and I was in and out of the dealership within 30 minutes of my arrival. I hope it fixes the problem. I wanted to share some good news here. Thanks for your help with this.
  • Options
    It just so happens that this is my line of work, that is, producing customer and service documentation as well as training courses. My company has migrated to electronic documentation for most of its products, although we selectively still issue hardcopy.

The average reading comprehension rate for late twentieth century Americans has been around 60%. This figure for electronic presentations is around 70%, but this number is misleading. Because the education and acquired skill level is higher for people owning PCs, the comprehension rate is skewed. In side-by-side testing of the same people, the reading comprehension rate for on-screen reading drops by another 10% across a non-homogeneous population.

We publish hardcopy installation manuals because when installing our machines our service engineers would be physically limited by using a laptop enough to actually raise the cost (in time) of installations. Our service manuals, however, are on CD, not because they add convenience to the end-user, but because they are so much cheaper to publish electronically. (Although my company excluded the cost of the laptop in the equation!)

Personally, I have a Chrysler hardcopy service manual for my '03 Dakota. The pages will get dirty and torn over time, but it is a much more convenient vehicle when working around the truck. It is expensive, I think I paid around $125, but it is worth the convenience to me.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Dusty, I find it interesting that the levels of reading comprehension are varied. I was once speaking with a service representative from Kitchenaid. We were discussing the VHS tape that was included with some of their products. He told me that certain groups of customers can read and understand the manual, while others have an easier time with visual or listening information. Nevertheless, since including the tape which is both visual and aural, there rate of returned products dropped some 20%. After that conversation, we started to include VHS tapes with the operating manuals for our construction machines and a significant decrease occurred in initial service calls. Interesting.

Bookitty
  • Options
    ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    Gordon - I have a hardcopy FSM and agree with Dusty that it is more convenient. If I were you I would look on eBay for a hardcopy. I have seen them there for 25% to 35% of the original cost.

Ron
  • Options
    Book,

That story doesn't surprise me. We used VHS tapes for a while then migrated to CDs to do basically the same thing. Video is, of course, a more broadly comprehensible presentation method, but is generally more effective for instructional needs, such as operator type information.

Unfortunately not all electronic presentation methods are as effective. We publish some of our manuals as .PDFs on CD for laptop use. This works and the original advocates pushed this as a "more effective" way of communication. This was bul*****. The real reason was reducing the cost from print.

Most of our service manuals are EDOC (Electronic Documentation) and provide linking to other procedures or parts lists, as well as active interfaces with the customer's machine itself. For instance, a diagnostic run routine that is embedded in the machine software can be initiated from the service manual. In some cases it can read specific NVM values. In reality it is very much like an ODB-type instrument, but instead embedded in the service manual itself.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Huh? I don't understand! could you draw me a picture? <grin> Rick
  • Options
    Huh? I don't understand! could you draw me a picture? <grin> Rick

Rick, you are learning from pictures? How far you have advanced since you've learned to drive a Ram!

Bookitty
  • Options
    1tlynn1tlynn Member Posts: 5
    Ever find a problem that should not occur?
    2000 4.7 Dakota 108,00 miles, gradually running warm for about 1-1/2 year btw 210 and 260 when stopped in traffic w/AC on.
    Confirmed water flow (no water pump problem) thermostat operating, radiator clean, fan operating, timing correct, fuel mix not lean.
    No suspect found. Then had a pin hole coolant leak in thermostat housing behind thermostat, patched this with JBWELD until replacement timing cover was ordered. Upon removal to replace cover found leak was cause by corrosion eating thru housing, also found corrosion had eaten thru behind water pump disrupting proper water flow. Found timing chains had stretched beyond specs (engine knocking at 80,000 miles) because the excessive heat had caused oil to clog tensioner.
    The deteriorated aluminum timing cover was the cause but never would have been suspected. Dont know what cause this, hope no damage to other parts (heads).
  • Options
    Your internal corrosion problem sounds serious.

Can you tell us how often you changed the antifreeze and did you use the "special" antifreeze that is specified for this engine?

Thus far, the 4.7L engine has been viewed as a VERY reliable engine design. However, since it is just starting to "age" to the point where this kind of flaw may arise, I am concerned.
  • Options
    ja812ja812 Member Posts: 33
    sorry slick I haven't ck'd back lately
    The dealer just said they did a pressure test of some kind.
    I had taken my truck over to a local mechanic who said that a smoke test was needed to find the problem and that he didn't have the equipment to preform the test so he told me to take it to the dealer for repair.
  • Options
    a few weeks I posted about my mil light problem. orig problem was codes :

p0141(02 sensor 1/2 heater ckt oxygen sensor 1/2 heater element malfuntion)

and p0161 (02 sensor 1/2 heater ckt oxygen sensor 2/2 heater element)

so heres what was wrong, took to my local mechanic who tested all 4 o2 sensors and determind that 2 of sensors (cant remember if they were upstream or down now) were bad. Thus per his recomendation I went ahead a replaced all 4. He explained that sometime when you just replace one or two of them the older ones will put out a code saying there not working fast enough. so to avoid another vist I just decided it was best to do all 4 and get it over with... so $550.00 later ( 86.70per sensor x4 + $70 dignostic + $90.00 installation) ouch!!! any have any ideas what exactly causes a 02 sensor to go bad especially with only 35k.
  • Options
    blueboicgblueboicg Member Posts: 2
    I posted about rough idle, high rev, stall a short while ago and decided to try a fuel system cleaner and battery check. I've gone through two bottles and my battery checks good. But when we were testing my battery, guess what!? We noticed ALOT of coolant all over the engine but seemed concentrated around the water pump. I've already got a water pump on order but upon checking it out, I'm wondering if there not just some leak somewhere. It seems a little excessive to just be a leak in a hose but you never know. So obviously I can't ask you guys to reliably tell me if it is or not (even with the pic). My real question is if coolant is spraying around the engine, could it be affecting the electronic portions of my engine and causing this high rev/stall issue? It makes sense to me but it also makes me wonder if something else isn't as sealed (ie alternator) as it should be. Any help is appreciated thanks.

This discussion has been closed.