Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    davewarwick1davewarwick1 Member Posts: 25
    lvnlrn

Thanks for the reply. Nice pix. Sorry for delay in getting back to you (death in family). I will highly consider the rails. Truck is due in the next couple of days.
  • Options
    steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    I was the one that reported the word that they were discontinueing the bronze and amber fire. The word that was put out is that they would not be offered on the 02 models. I have since heard in the forum that a dealer said they could not get the amber on an order, so they may have put on a restriction, but I would check on that. That could have also been a dealer with a lot of other colors on hand or bad info. It is not too surprising that the colors were discontinued. Unless it is a major popular color, like black, white, red or blue, it is going to get bumped every so often.
  • Options
    I just looked at the colors being offered on the 02 Rams. Possible new colors for the Ram and maybe some on the Dakota are: graphite, light almond, atlantic blue and snow(white w/black specks?). This is on the rams, so dak applications are speculative.
  • Options
    bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    I finally got to install the Roll-N-Lock cover on my 01 CC today. Order was delayed for parts. The instructions were clear and the unit is of high quality. I had to modify the clamps that hold the side rails by trimming them with a hacksaw. No big deal. Had some mental anguish about drilling holes in the tailgate but it was necessary and I didn't have any problems once I got up enough nerve. There is no such thing as security where I live but with the cover locked to the tailgate at least the toddlers won't be running off with it. Tailgates are one of the most expensive parts on a pickup.
  • Options
    victxvictx Member Posts: 108
    At the very bottom of the page, there is a disclaimer stating the intakes are not CARB approved (read the very last line of the page). OD, now I'll admit to my ignorance. What is CARB and what are the implications of using a product that is not CARB approved.

http://www.intenseperformance.com/products/intense_air/intense_air.html
  • Options
    ohc_babyohc_baby Member Posts: 116
    California Air Regulatory Board. That's why, in 2000, Cali 4.7s had the now standard precats, while the Fed 4.7s did not. They have tighter emissions standards to meet and aftermarket hardware must be specifically approved. If you're not in California, don't sweat it. If you are, make sure you keep your stock intake :)
  • Options
    spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    ayrow - Any word yet on your installer wanting to do out-of-town visitors' QC's? Let us know - sure like that sun roof.
  • Options
    bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Anyone have a LEER cap on their truck? If so, how do you like it?
    The closest dealer for caps carries the LEER products and I was wondering if they are any good.
    Thank you,
    Bob
  • Options
    iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I've got a Leer topper on my 2k Quad. I'm pleased overall with the topper. I have had it about 10 months now. Only problem I've had has been a lift gate gas strut which lost its charge in sub zero temperatures we were having here in the Mid west. It was probably a warranty item but I just bought a set of replacement struts with a lifetime warranty. I shopped around on the internet among the various authorized dealers and found a dealer 150 miles from home that sold it to me for $200 less than the local dealer wanted. My truck is Light Driftwood and the paint match was perfect. I ordered it with accessories which the dealer let me have at his cost. All told it was just under $1200. I need a topper because my Doberman rides in the back of the truck and needs protection from the elements and when I saw the Leer in the Dakota catalog I decided I had to have that model. Its $600 to $700 over a bare bones topper but it matches the trucks lines so perfectly I couldn't see putting any other model on my Quad. Of course the choice was more limited when I bought mine than whats currently available now. Try this link for a picture. Rick

http://www.geocities.com/rsheeres_pics/index.html
  • Options
    ayrowayrow Member Posts: 99
  • Options
    I have not had time to call the guy about whether or not he will travel.
    His name is Craig and you can contact him at:

Atlantic Shoreline
    757-422-6124

Good luck.
  • Options
    Rick,
    Thank you for sharing your experience with the Leer topper. It looks really nice on your truck.
    The most I'll ever carry in the bed is camping gear and an occassional large box, so I am leaning towards a cap as opposed to a tonneau cover.
    I know how those gas struts work in the winter.
    I had a station wagon once, the gas strut lost it's power in the winter and the gate whomped on top of my head. OUCH!
    Bob
  • Options
    biglucybiglucy Member Posts: 140
    Just on a whim I thought I'd call my favorite Truck accessory place for a price on an ARE LSII with the sportwing for mah truck. The price, color matched and installed was... ... $1100.00 !!! Boy, that would look nice on the truck - but not for that price!!!
  • Options
    bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Bob,I purchased my A.R.E. LSII from Cottman Corporation in Willow Grove, PA. I paid $660.00 less $20.00 (coupon) + tax installed (03/04/00). Their telephone number is (215) 657-8443, Bill and John (I think). They did a great job. No wing.

Bookitty
  • Options
    Boo

Thanks for the info. The price I was given for the LSII was pretty close to Cottman's, it's that sportwing that really knocks up the price. nope, too expensive for this hombre right now, I'll just drive with my rear-end open!

I just hit the 2000 mark so this weekend I'm gonna do an oil change and install the motovalve.

On the darker side of things, I just got my first
    -ding- <$@#!%^& *^%$>, three inches below my keyhole. Is touchup paint for the 2001 available in the retail stores yet or do I have to see Mr. Dealer?!? Anyone know?
  • Options
    triple_deke1triple_deke1 Member Posts: 60
    I had my 2001 for 2 days when I witnessed a horrible sight. I was walking back to my truck from the store and saw a....well..piece of junk pull right next to my truck. Then like in slow motion I saw the white car door spring open and BAM!! right into my door. As I walked up to the door I looked at the person who opend the door and then looked at my truck and she said"Oh did I do that??"

@!$%^& was my reply...Luckily it didnt dent the door but just left some white paint which I got off with some polish..OK Im OK now!!

TD
  • Options
    macminnmacminn Member Posts: 11
    Sorry for this somewhat moronic question, but what is the reason to use the diffferrent air filters? Better gas mileage, or something else? Also, where are they available?
    Thanks,
    T Mac
  • Options
    bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Bob, I read your post and did not realize that the wing was so expensive. As far as your remark goes;
    "I'll just drive with my rear-end open!" May I suggest that in this case you visit your proctologist twice a year.

Bookitty
  • Options
    atokadatokad Member Posts: 30
    **LOL***
  • Options
    zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    or at least pull up your pants!
  • Options
    nathan_johnsonnathan_johnson Member Posts: 12
    Hi everyone,

I would like some opinions about intakes and throttle body spacers. I have a 01 QC 4.7 on order (should be in next week) and my wife thinks I am absolutely crazy for want to "mess" with it (I have all of you to thank for this). I have seen references to QuickD, Airaid, Intense Performance and K&N but not any mention about the spacers. I am currently leaning towards a QuickD, but would like to hear any of the ins and outs associated with any of the brands. Any input on the spacers would be appreciated too.

Thanks
    Nathan
  • Options
    spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    ayrow - No, no, no - I'll come to him in Virginia. My concern is that he only has that day to do it. I'll call him and if he would do an excellent job in one day, I'll take a vacation day and come down from south central PA.

Sorry for the mix up, thanks for the number.
  • Options
    Ok guys,

You've been asking, so here it is:

To recap, I designed some steel brackets for the front of my 2001 QC that would accept standard tow hooks. They protrude through the front of the fascia just like Dodge intended. I finally got the brackets back from the machine shop that I hired to cut them.

If you would like to see what I am talking about and how it looks, just go to the following link.

I also finished putting in my do-it-yourself Herculiner (spray-in liner). I will have pics of that soon as well if there is an interest. Just let me know.

http://www.ayrow.com/towhooks.html

• Options
    scottieeckscottieeck Member Posts: 69
    YES!! we are definitely interested ( at least I am ) in the herculiner pics, as well as how you made out installing it, with details. I've considered a spray on bedliner but wanted to know more first. Name names!
    scottie
  • Options
    ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    Pics and tips would be appreciated! I also want to know about the self applied liner. I want a herculiner to replace my 'free" under rail plastic liner the dealer put in, but my house ways-and-means committee saw the cost of a spray in(I recently finished installing tonneau cover, ventvisors, bug shields etc..) and promptly replied No WAYS and I MEANS it! :-)
    Great wife btw, but is also our accountant.
    thanks!
    Bill
  • Options
    My wife was also wanting to do the cheaper herculiner route, but we found out from some people who had tried it, that it does not hold up and will peel away from the bed. I have looked at the different types out there and when I get mine, it will be Line-X. I am impressed with the way it hold up on my work truck.
  • Options
    I was told the Driver Design bug deflector is a good one. Does anyone have it?

Thanks,

Todd
  • Options
    namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    Hi folks, I would like to get some opinions. Has anyone tried the Ventvisors or similar products on their late model Dakotas? I love my Dakota (soon to be 2) but I don't care for the wind buffeting my head and ears whenever the window is open. Do these devices help cut this down? Are any particular brand better than another? danke
  • Options
    ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    namfflow - I have a 2k Dak with weatherflectors installed by MacNeil http://www.macneilauto.com/

I have had ventvisors in the past but I prefer the weatherflectors. They appear to be made better, you don't have to use any tape to hold them on and they are clearer than the others I have seen and therefore less of an obstruction to vision. Mine have been on for over a year and they definitely do work to deflect the wind.

Ron35

• Options
    namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    Thanks, I just might give these a try. That's the complaint I have about the Dakota, the wind buffeting my ears when the window is open. 40/50 bucks isn't too bad of an investment to try them.
  • Options
    quadtexquadtex Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2 tone Forest Green 4x2 2001 QC with silver fender flares and taupe interior and am considering installing the wood dash accessories. I saw them at www.exoticwooddash.com. Has anybody installed the wood dash on their QC and how does it look? I am concerned it will look out of place on the truck. Dodge supplies wood dash pieces for the Durango which I think look nice.
  • Options
    slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    i just installed a e.g.r bodyguard hood deflector on my 01/q/c and it looks great!
  • Options
    atokadatokad Member Posts: 30
    I installed a 12 disc Pioneer DC changer .. when you listen to a cd and the singer sings a word with the letter "s" it gets totally distorted. I dont think the player has anything to do with the sound so Im thinking there may be a problem with the speakers. It doesn't do this when I listen to a tape or the radio. Any ideas?? It is a 2001 with the 8 speaker infinity system.

atokaD
  • Options
    I saw the post regarding changing the door unlock from unlocking the driver door only to unlocking all the doors.

Both of my remotes are set to unlock all the doors, and I would like to change them back. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Todd
  • Options
    ibhottubnibhottubn Member Posts: 29
    todd,

i have 2001 quad , its a week old now. mine was setup to open all 4 doors when you hit the unlock button. i just set it up to open the drivers door with 1 push & all 4 with the second push. in my book, pg 16 is correct. all you need to do is disable the 4 door unlock mode !!! follow steps 1-6 on pg 16 & it will disable the system to work as you want it, i just did it myself !!!

good luck,

tom !!!!!!
  • Options
    I too have the infinity speaker system with the mopar RAZ stereo.
    Seems weird that you experience distortion only when the cd's are used. Which receiver do you have in the truck? Is this external cd player compatible with the receiver? Maybe recheck the wiring and ground connections. Unfortunately I don't have any really good suggestions to offer.

My audio inquiry...
    I would like to have a bit better bass response.
    Thinking of upgrading the speakers for a better low frequency response.
    Currently when the bass is cranked up the mid range response gets muddy.

My questions are:
    Does anyone know the make (infinity I guess?) ,model number, or frequency response of these speakers? speaker specifications would be a help.
    What size speakers are in the Quad.... 6.5" round?
    What is the speaker maximum depth dimension that would fit?

Does anyone know how sub woofers are hooked into audio systems?
    Looking for an "Audio for dummies" or "ABC'S of stereos" information guide. Is there an on-line source like this?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Bob
  • Options
    tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    Crutchfield has good info about what is stock and what fits, if not online than their catalog.
    The Infinity speakers are probably a model just for Dodge and won't match up to any in the consumer line.
  • Options
    mark360mark360 Member Posts: 2
    Crit, back in November you had an extra intake for a Jeep Wrangler - which I am still driving while waiting for the new QC to be delivered.

If you still have this, I'd like to buy it from you as it has been planned for the Jeep for a while now.

Mark
  • Options
    ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    atokad - I have heard of the problem you are having if the CD changer is hooked up as an FM frequency modulator as opposed to being hard wired to the head unit; in this type set up the sound is never as good. If your Mopar radio has CD changer controls you can contact Crutchfield at www.crutchfield.com and they can supply you with an adaptor that will hard wire your head unit to the CD changer and this should solve your problem. I have the radio with CD changer controls hard wired to the Mopar CD changer (Alpine) and the sound is great. Initially the radio would only work with a Mopar CD changer however adaptors are now availble to work with different manufacturers CD changers.

Ron35
  • Options
    If you want specific info for the 2001 Quab Cab you'll have to call the company because they don't have anything online yet for our model truck. Imagine that, having to speak with a human ?!?
  • Options
    Crutchfield catalog was the first place I checked. no luck with fit guide.
    Checked their website:
    They list 6.5" and 5.5" speakers. Don't list where they fit though.
    I was afraid of this ..."Speak with a human"...how disgusting. It would be like dealing with a car salesman.

I did some searching on the internet and found some info.
    Front speakers are 6 1/2" with a max depth of 3 7/8" .
    Rear speakers are 5 1/2" with a max depth of 3 7/8".
    If anyone has replaced their speakers or taken off the door panels, would you confirm the speaker sizes?
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • Options
    iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Front and rear are both 6 1/2. I installed "Memphis" 6 1/2 coaxial speakers. Rated 100Watts peak and 50Watts RMS. sound much better than factory non Infinity speakers. Also for those who are unfamiliar with Infinity speakers they are speakers with small amplifiers mounted right on the speaker itself. You do not have to replace Infinity speakers with Infinity speakers when the amp goes bad (and they do right after your warranty runs out {grin}). I had a Daytona that had bad rear amps on the speakers. Just replaced them with Quality 6x9 speakers and sounded better than the original did when working. Rick
  • Options
    weebednaweebedna Member Posts: 30
    the only speakers that will fit the quad 'out of the box' are the Pioneer ts-a1765/1795. This is what i installed. They come with the 3 hole adapter. I got them via ebay for about $60. Crutchfield is way too expensive. If you want another brand, Crutchfield will supply the 3 hole adapters needed. The size is 6 1/2 oversize (or 6 and 3/4).
  • Options
    willywillwillywill Member Posts: 18
    You could always try the infinity Kappas. They do need a amp to go with them and they do sound really good. Just call crutchfield and talk to a sales person. The nice thing with crutchfield is that they give you all the hard ware that you will need along with a diagram on how to take apart the doors and take out your radio. The radio is very easy to take out I did mine in about ten min. Also if you need any help once you buy the new speakers all you have to do si call their toll free number

Will
  • Options
    Correction to my previous post, it should read 5.25 " not 5.5" for speaker size.

iowabigguy
    Thank you for confirming the speaker sizes. I looked at the door panels in my truck and thought they looked like they would accomindate 6.5" speakera all around.
    I did not know the infinity speakers had built in amps.
    If the infinity speaker is changed, will the head unit drive a non-amplified speaker?

weebedna
    Thanks for the info. I will use it to decide what I will get.
    I understand your concern about Crutchfield prices, they are a bit high, but they usually are quality products they sell.

willywill
    Thanks for sharing your audio experience. I have dealt with Crutchfield in the past with good experiences. I think that if the current speakers are switched with ones with a lower frequency response, it will solve my needs without having to go with a crossover, amplifier, and subwoofer, to get better low frequency responce.
    The current system IS good, the sound reproduction could be just a little bit better.
  • Options
    zidctlrzidctlr Member Posts: 46
  • Options
    zidctlrzidctlr Member Posts: 46
    weebedna,
    When you replaced your speakers did you also change the head unit? If you did not change the head unit.....How much better do these speakers sound than the factory speakers?
  • Options
    weebednaweebedna Member Posts: 30
    I only changed the rear door speakers in my Quad Cab. I replaced the factory Infinity speakers (paper cones) with the Pioneer 1765. The high's are much better while the bass is tighter and a bit more pronounced. I wouldn't say it is dramatic, but it is an improvement.
    The only pain with swapping is cutting off the factory connectors and soldering on the new ones.
    I didn't change the front speakers yet.
    I think the Cerwin Vega 6002 has the most low-end for a 6 1/2 if that is what you are looking for...you just need to fabricate an adapter (or get them from Crutchfield)
  • Options
    taki3taki3 Member Posts: 18
    i recently replaced my front speakers with pioneer ts-a1765 in my regular cab 97 dakota - and am somewhat pleased with the results....i thought i had a bad left door speaker prior to the new speakers (my reason for replacing the stock speakers) - but i installed the pioneer direct fit speakers, and to me, it seems as though the left door speaker is not as loud or as clear as the right door speaker....i compare the left speaker sound to the right speaker sound by changing the balance from left to right (and i have no rear speakers as of right now)....i dont think i connected it improperly, but could this be the cause? i thought improperly connected speakers had much more distortion than just not being loud....

i have replaced the factory head unit with a direct fit pioneer cd player -the left speaker still doesnt sound as good as the right....

is is possible that its just because i sit in the drivers seat the whole time? is there any other way to compare the sound that comes from the speaker (other than my high tech method)?

ive also noticed that there isnt too much base from these speakers - is there any way to improve this?
  • Options
    My system seems to be the same way as far as left speaker seeming to be lower in volume. There is not a hugh difference between sides, and the balance knob can correct this.

I think it is just where the speakers are located in relation to where the driver sits, that it seems to be lower in volume.

If I sit in the middle spot, (in my case, lean over the center console) it seems fine.

I am in the quest for more bass response as well.

There are behind the seat speaker boxes for trucks that may work in your case, because you have a regular cab truck. Crutchfield

http://crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-deQWYjXWEDK/ProdPic.asp?i=044T7508S&a=0&o=M

There is not a lot of extra space in the Quad cab for this type of speaker box though. (darn it)

The only spot I can see right now is the hump area directly in front of the rear seat behind the center console. Maybe one subwoofer could fit there. This is the smallest subwoofer I found:

http://jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=809

I was kind of looking for a way to perhaps place a mini bazooka tube inside the center console itself, however everything seems to be way too long to fit. I don't know how the bazooka tubes are constructed, if they could be hacked down shorter in length.

Good luck,

Bob

This discussion has been closed.