Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    While a Photoshop job, I bet this is pretty close to what we can expect for the '07 Legacy.

Bob
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I'm betting there'll be a touch of chrome in that grille and the center air intake will bulge up a little and flow into the hood, and the headlight shape will be a little more curvy.

Not as nice as current look, but not horrendous. The face looks a bit like a cartoonish angry beaver with a Subaru emblem nose, though, and the license plate combining with the large lower air intake to form a buck-toothed scowling mouth. The foglights even make little dimples.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Except that the actual car probably won't look as good as that pic. ;)

When do the '06 Legs/OB's come out? The regularly scheduled time of late summer (July/August)?

-Dennis
  • Options
    I agree about the chrome being added. I disagree that the current grille is better looking. I'm not a big fan of the current grille, and never have been. It's "OK," but nothing more IMO. I think it's by far the weakest area of the current Legacy's exterior design.

For the most part, the Legacy and Outback are excellent looking cars. I'm just not wild about the grille(s), or the rear hatch stying of the wagon (which I also think is weak).

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It will be a little higher than that and the hood will have a V-shape, the edges meeting up with the top of the fuselage.

But that gives us an indication.

-juice
  • Options
    • NAV only available with automatics.

• No 5-speed manual Legacy GT wagon.

That's really lousy news. :(

Bob
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I wouldn't say the current grille itself is better looking, but I think the current model's entire front looks cleaner and sleeker than this image's. Legacy is currently a nice, clean design... I'd hate to see a nose like this mess that up.
    New-look Impreza is an improvement, so I'm hopeful they can successfully incorporate the new look onto Legacy, adding sophistication without being overly "busy".
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Subaru has no excuse for their lack of vision to potential customers out there.

It's obvious that every time they bring some meat to the table, they always forget the fork but yet bring the plate. I'm glad I didn't wait!!!
  • Options
    Yesterday Host Sylvia started this new thread in the "Future Models" section on a possible new upcoming Subie minivan:

Sylvia, "Subaru Minivan in 2007?" #1, 29 Jun 2005 6:45 pm

Reading between the lines here, I find some interesting stuff:

First of all, for Edmunds to start this thread in the first place, tells me that they feel pretty sure that this vehicle is indeed in the works, and not just some wild rumor with little credibility.

Second, Sylvia mentions that the next generation Legacy will move up in size, to a larger vehicle class. This I find fascinating, and raises the following questions:

• Will this new larger Legacy be built off the Tribeca platform? There have been many rumors of a larger B 9-based sedan. Could this be it?

• If the Legacy moves up in size, will the next Impreza (and Forester) also move up a bit in size to fill the newly created size gap between these models?

• Will the Outback survive, as we know it, or at all? After all, the Tribeca would then become the Outback "equivalent" of the new larger Legacy, wouldn't it?

• If the Impreza indeed grows, would the Outback Sport sort of become the "new" Outback (as we know it)?

• Or would the Outback Sport be dropped, and the next generation Forester inherit the current Outback's role and market position?

Interesting stuff...

Bob
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    rsholland - where are you getting specs on the '06 Legacy / Outbacks? Any other changes?
  • Options
    No way will it go away. Even if the Legacy moves up in size, the Outback could stay right where it is, since it sells well.

Or it might grow with the Legacy, and remain a spin-off.

Or we might even get a US-only Legacy and Outback.

How 'bout them apples? ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    Or it might grow with the Legacy, and remain a spin-off.

Wouldn't that then compete with the Tribeca?

Or we might even get a US-only Legacy and Outback.

You mean one about the same size as the current one? Sylvia's post didn't indicate that. Also, why would we get a smaller Legacy/Outback than the rest of the world? That doesn't make sense.

Bob
  • Options
    Depends, they could make the next Outback very boxy and completely different than the Tribeca from a styling standpoint. Also, it could remain a roomy 5 seater and be more wagon-like.

I just don't see Subaru killing off its best seller.

Another option - the Legacy would be eliminated completely. The Outback would stay were it is in size, and they could add a B9 Legacy sedan that was bigger, in fact they might not even need a wagon version since the Tribeca covers that niche.

People complain about too much overlap from the Legacy to the Outback, so this would address that.

-juice
  • Options
    Or the Forester and Outback could merge to become one vehicle.

I just don't see a larger Outback, as it would compete with the Tribeca.

Bob
  • Options
    Outback would be off-road oriented, while the Tribeca is for pavement.

We'd have to see more differentiation, though, not just two-tone paint, flares, and scoops.

OB and Forester are their two best sellers, don't mess with a good thing!

-juice
  • Options
    Outback would be off-road oriented, while the Tribeca is for pavement.

Well, that could work, especially if they do make it more off-road oriented.

Bob
  • Options
    Like real metal skid plates, a low range (or at least a 6th gear for crawling), hill descent control or something similar, etc.

Maybe a self-leveling suspension and a full-size spare crammed in somehow? Plus roof rails with cross bars?

There's plenty of stuff to add to a Tribeca.

-juice
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The Outback would stay were it is in size, and they could add a B9 Legacy sedan that was bigger...

Why would they do that? Playing devil's advocate - I thought all Subaru products had to be global? A larger sedan wouldn't fit the bill.
  • Options
    They do need to maintain a Legacy outside of the US.

But they wouldn't have to sell it here. Maybe only the Legacy sedan, drop the wagon since most wagon buyers pick the Outback anyway.

B11 Sedan could be an entirely seperate model, like the US Accord and Camry, if they can afford to do that.

-juice
  • Options
    B11 Sedan could be an entirely seperate model, like the US Accord and Camry, if they can afford to do that.

But in recent discussions, it's been bandied about that Subaru can't afford to do a real full size minivan since it would be a North America model only. Wouldn't a full size sedan be udner the same restrictions? IMHO, Subaru would be better off spending money on a real minivan instead of a larger sedan - the US Accord/Camry market is a tough nut to crack whereas the mini-van market has major players leaving an opening.
  • Options
    It wouldn't be a full-size sedan, probably more Accord/Camry-sized. 5-Series BMWs and E-Class MBs are world cars, and they are larger than the current Legacy.

Bob
  • Options
    It wouldn't be a full-size sedan, probably more Accord/Camry-sized.

Sorry, that's what I meant - a real North American mid-size which everyone says is not in Subaru's realm because it's not a world size.

5-Series BMWs and E-Class MBs are world cars, and they are larger than the current Legacy.

Sorry Bob - I don't think you can compare them. The 5 and E are world cars but they don't conform to the smaller is better rationale used by Subaru.
  • Options
    Sylvia's post said that the next-generation Legacy is moving up a size from what it is now. I'm simply saying that it could go larger and still be considered world cars. I just used the BMW and Benz as examples of what I mean.

Bob
  • Options
    Sylvia's post said that the next-generation Legacy is moving up a size from what it is now. I'm simply saying that it could go larger and still be considered world cars.

If so, I'd be hard pressed to call it a world car. I am using world car in the context that the vehicle is sized to compete in most markets. Most vehicles made for NA consumption are not what I would consider "world" cars. The NA Accord and Camry are designed for this market and other parts of the world get smaller versions. The current Legacy is world car to me because they size it for world markets first and then offer it in the US. IMHO, the 5 and E are sized for NA markets and then offered to the rest of the world - size be darned.

Subaru has always maintained a need to offer worlds car in that context- hence the 7/8ths sizing of the Legacy and Tibeca. I thought the need for a global minivan meant making something the size of the Traviq or MPV as opposed to the Sienna/Odyssey/Grand Caravan - at least that's the impression I got from the autoweek article about a Subaru minivan.

If the Legacy were to move up to the next size class, it would be an jumbo mid-size or 7/8ths large car. Would either of those have potential outside North America?
  • Options
    Yeah, it's hard to figure out what is going on here. Even so, I would still consider 5-series BMW and the E Class Benz to be world cars, as they are sold in every market in the world.

Bob
  • Options
    buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    Subaru already has a smaller sized minivan type that they can use in other markets. For the US they need a full size mini-van to compete and make any kind of dent in sales. A Traviq sized van just won't sell. I think a new Subaru should be upsized and the new platform could be used for the new Sedan or wagon. It doesn't have to be the size of a Quest but it has to be larger than a MPV or plain Caravan. It should gain about 10 inches from the Tribeca to be about 200 inches long. They would be throwing money away if they do something smaller.
  • Options
    A full (or big mid-) size sedan would have more sales potential than a large minivan. Look at the segment size, it's *huge*.

If it's not quite full, maybe a 7/8 scale Avalon only sportier, that would still be bigger than a Legacy.

-juice
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    The discussion was started with a copy/paste from our Vans/Minivans newsletter for this week. The link to the discussion is from the newsletter so that readers of the newsletter can click on it and then discuss the vehicle there.

Thanks!
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I'm surprised that the article refers to 'refreshing' the Legacy in '07. I think the current model looks quite nice with it's clean, smooth lines. Maybe a bit understated compared to the other higher end cars out there, but it still turns heads. Especially when going past them on the highway! Rob M.
  • Options
    A full (or big mid-) size sedan would have more sales potential than a large minivan. Look at the segment size, it's *huge*.

If it's not quite full, maybe a 7/8 scale Avalon only sportier, that would still be bigger than a Legacy.

-juice

Again, IMHO it pushes the Legacy out of the Subaru required "world" car size. Besides, Subaru is already competing in the mid-size segment with the 7/8ths Legacy. They need to enter a segment where they aren't already competing.

edit - I keep forgetting that the Legacy is listed by the EPA as a compact sedan. Never mind my harping. I think they could then upsize the Legacy so it just meets mid-size standards instead of pushing the edges of the category and still offer it as a "world" sized vehicle.

Heck, the new Sonata is listed as a full-size by the EPA but it really will be competing in the mid-size segment.
  • Options
    They'll change the name anyway. I like B11 Soho. Could be mostly a US car, and then the US might not get the JDM Legacy, but only the Outback instead.

-juice
  • Options
    ...and then the US might not get the JDM Legacy...

And then all the enthusiasts will complain that we don't get the good products here - Opel Traviqs, VW Polos, Seat Leons, Ford Falcons, et al. :)
  • Options
    There aren't enough of them.

Honestly I'm kind of tired of people complaining about the WRX and Tribeca styling and how the Legacy is the most beautiful car Subaru ever produced - yet they haven't bought one.

Let them get an STi.

Outback would have that platform covered anyway.

-juice
  • Options
    jThere aren't enough of them.

Honestly I'm kind of tired of people complaining about the WRX and Tribeca styling and how the Legacy is the most beautiful car Subaru ever produced - yet they haven't bought one.

Let them get an STi.

Outback would have that platform covered anyway.

-juice

juice - you gotta hit the reply button - who are you responding to??
  • Options
    I was replying to the post immediately before mine.

For Subaru, it's the Outback that pays the bills, not the Legacy. Keep the Outback where it is, maybe grow it very slightly, but don't change it too much. It is their cash cow, why change their most successful model radically?

The Legacy can change, though. Impreza will grow eventually and fill that gap anyway. Legacy could be a nice Q ship.

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I wonder how many GT wagons sold last year (MY2005) were MT vs. AT? I think Subaru could simply be responding to how customers voted with their dollars.

The good news is that the NAV in the GT Ltd wagon didn't seem to increase price very much, IIRC.

Ken
  • Options

Bob
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Bob, how much faith do you have in the prices posted on that site? As it is shown, the Legacy 2.5i SE is only $300 more (MSRP) than the 2.5i. Given that it comes with a power drivers seat, moonroof, and fog lights (significant options, IMO), who the heck is going to buy the 2.5i??????????

I almost feel as though that pricing is too good to be true?

Joe
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    this is another guy than jedlika who hates subarus.
    A general caution about what's become Subaru's Big Lie. The automaker harps on the smoothness of its flat or "boxer" cylinder layout, like the engine configuration of old Volkswagen Beetles and all Porsche 356 and 911 sports cars. It just ain't so. While Subaru's boxer six-cylinder engines do seem smooth, the four-cylinder powerplants such as those in the Forester cackle at idle, as if there's something wrong, and have slight shakes and vibrations.

so many complaints about the 06 Forester
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2005-06-30-subaru-forester_x.htm
  • Options
    Hard to say. I know Joe Spitz is a Subie guy from way back.

BTW, I e-mailed him a few days ago to see if he head anything about the '06 Baja. He mentioned that there is a rumor of the H-6 Baja! Again, this is just a rumor, and nothing more at this point. I think whatever they do in terms of any upgrades, they'll just reach into their parts bin, so an H-6 is certainly doable.

Bob

Bob
  • Options
    Bargain, but some tall people do not want a moonroof at all so they'll still make a few base models.

I remember in MY2003 when the SE came out they listed the L model but never actually produced many for retail sale (if any at all). So essentially the SE became the base model.

-juice
  • Options
    FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    Hi-
    I was wondering if anyone had a better feel that I do for how the sales of the Tribeca are going, and if this will cross over to other vehicles. I had read that Subaru expected 30-36k Tribecas to be sold in its first 12 months. That would mean somewhere close to 2k a month. They sold 1546 in June. Now I don't know if they had a full month in or not, (I attended an introduction event in our local Subaru place within the last couple of weeks), and I know the advertising campaign is supposed to kick in next week.
    One of my local car buffs and I were having a discussion about the new Subaru look. Since the look is not conventional, we were wondering if a total hit... or a total bust would influence the corporation styling of its cars, and how fast they could do it. Looking at the sales figures Subaru is saying they are happy with them, but it is likely they would no matter what.

What is the local internet savy consensus... Is it a hit? A bust? Too soon to call?

Frank
  • Options
    It's close enough that they could easily meet the projected pace once ads kick in. Definitely too close to call.

1540 is low but it's better than the Baja's best month ever. Plus June was a record with incentives boosting other models.

I do think the 2005 Legacy/Outback was off to a quicker start but those were not new nameplates so it's really hard to compare.

-juice
  • Options
    I think at first people will be skeptical, but over time I think it will be a hit. In fact I'm convinced it will be a hit. It will likely take a few years though.

When Subaru first introduced this look most people hated it. In fact if you go to any Subaru-specific sites, and check out the posts from a 6 months (or further back), and compare them to very recent posts, you will see the shift is already occuring. Yes, there are some who still absolutely hate it (and will ALWAYS hate it), but there are also many more today who now like it a lot. They've simply gotten used to it, and now feel really good about it. It just takes time.

Bob
  • Options
    1540 is low but it's better than the Baja's best month ever.

Aww c'mon juice - in a bad month, even the Aztek could outsell the Baja!! :)
  • Options
    Laugh but in terms of pure sales the Aztek outsells a lot of cars. I bet it outsells the Mini Cooper, for instance, a smashing success of a car.

-juice
  • Options
    GM sold 588 Azteks last month. Looks like GM's promo will work on anything.

Mini sold in May 17,511 units worldwide. They don't break out specific country sales but I'd say NA is probably the biggest market. That's amazing IMHO.

Hmm, maybe Subaru could have employee pricing for everyone and apply it only to Bajas!!
  • Options
    I think it was 20k last year for the Cooper in the US, i.e. small potatoes. Ford sells more white F-150s than that.

-juice