Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The Justy has been sold in other markets other than NA as a rebadged FWD unit. I could care less what FHI does outside the US. Here they must be AWD or they lose their marketing plan right out the bottom. That is what differentiates them from Audi, VW, and any manufacturer that sells AWD as a side-biz.

-mike
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any word if the "interior upgrades" include a telescoping steering wheel?
  • Options
    Yeah telescopic wheels, what a concept, like Subaru had in the 80s! Haaaaaa

-mike
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    ...are on the media site.

Not sure what to think here. I guess a bit disappointed is my first response. Oh, what they did was fine—but they didn't do very much?

And what's with the new Outback grille? Why is it (and the rear wagon hatch) different from the JDM/Euro models?

The only reason I can think why the grille on the Outback is "unique" to our market is that it may be ushering the look of the new revised Tribeca grille.

Bob
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    That Outback grille is extremely ugly. What a step backward from the 05-06 look. I wonder why the US Outback gets that ugly grille when the Euro and JDM Outbacks look halfway decent? Looks like no change at the rear except for tail lights, also unlike the Euro/JDM Outback.
  • Options
    The press release says VDC will be offered on more models, without saying which ones. But the 2.5i models will still have the 4EAT, which is nuts. They are way behind the rest of the market there....
  • Options
    This is the biggest car show in the world, and all they show is a tweaked Legacy and Outback?

These cars should have been introduced at a lesser show like Chicago. They should have saved Detroit for the more heavily revised 3.6L Tribeca—a car that is critical for Subaru. The Legacy and Outback already have a solid audience, it's the Tribeca that needs help, and what better venue to show off that "new-and-much-improved" car than Detroit?

Bob
  • Options
    The interior pic from the Subaru press site shows only minor interior tweaks, not nearly as significant as the JDM/Euro models (anybody detect a trend here?). In fact, much of what they show for the 08 H6 Legacy was already on the 07 GT/XT models, especially the instrument cluster. Looks like the steering wheel controls are the major change, along with the trim stripe across the dash.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    a lesser show like Chicago

Hey, easy on the Chicago show, will ya! :P

I wonder if they just weren't ready to show the 3.6L B9 yet. But, they finally have an H6 Legacy in the States!

-Brian
  • Options
    Hey Brian

No offence intended. :) As I'm sure you know, just about any show is "lesser" than Detroit.

Bob
  • Options
    doug1doug1 Member Posts: 37
    Craig,
    Where'd you find info. on the 2.5i models? I didn't see any specs for those on the media site; only for the 6-cyl. models. Continuing with the 4-speed certainly is a disappointment.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment, espec. given we didn't get the Euro Outback styling. I'm still hopeful that the a-pillar stiffening and supposed suspension tweaks will improve the handling.

Doug
  • Options
    think they didn't have enough time to show tribeca with major changes.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Some tweaks, but nothing major. Some of the little incremental things are welcome. E.g. putting the audio controls on the steering wheel of more models, finally a telescoping steering wheel, electroluminescent gauges on the 6-cylinders.

I'm disappointed that the Outback didn't get the grille that's on the Legacy. I don't like the new Outback grille. I certainly hope that it's not the grille that the redesigned Tribeca will get.

I found this term amusing in the Subaru release: "downshift blipping control."

Question: anyone have a photo of the "new integrated ignition key/remote entry unit?" Thanks.
  • Options
    doug1doug1 Member Posts: 37
    Ahh, now I'm seeing the full press-release with the 2.5i info....
  • Options
    Shame that the Legacy 3.0R gets AT and 3.0...

If they had any ballz, they'd put the 3.6R out with the 6-Speed trans....

-mike
  • Options
    smokennedysmokennedy Member Posts: 8
    rsholland, thanks for the link. Does anyone else think that the new Legacy grill looks like the Saab "wing" on their grills?
  • Options
    very Mazda-ish on the grill or even Camaryish.

-mike
  • Options
    outback not as bad as i thought. wonder why us styling can't be same as euro/jdm. i just love them.

what is with special fog lights on XT ?
    did you notice memory seats ?
  • Options
    So, that begs the question: wonder what they'll show at Chicago?

Anxious to see the new Legacy in person. Anyone got a JDM spec picture to put up side-by-side to see how different the US spec one is?

-Brian
  • Options
    All right! I can actually consider a Subaru again. I hope they add a telescoping wheel to the revisions of the Tribeca, Forester and Impreza as well.
  • Options
    I believe it's mostly due to US spec crash requirements.

-mike
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    The grill will probably look better from angles. This ugly look may partially be due to lens. Or do I kid myself :blush:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    is just pathetic. My guess is there will be no HID lamps, no telescopic wheel. SI will probably spread to all 3.0, VDC may get to 2.5i but would not hold my breath for it (IIHS may help to do that). Some material upgrades, perhaps somewhat better layout. So - still "almost there", but not quite yet.

One word - accountants. It's probably cost prohibitive for them to do all the stuff we want. Adding Nav to 2.5i Ltd is just a cheap trick.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    Where is the Tribeca news?!?!

So this integrated keyless entry fob. I'm assuming it's like a Honda where the key has the buttons on it instead of a separate keyless transmitter.

Is it me or is that new front grill kinda like a drooping Chrysler grill.
  • Options
    Tribeca to debut at NY show.

Bob
  • Options
    I think we need to see the Outback grille in person. I have looked at about a dozen different photos, and it is a real chameleon. From some angles it's ugly, some barely OK, and from others the whole front end takes on a new Volvo-esque look (OK but happens to be out of place with the rest of the exterior, unchanged except for mirrors and tail lights). I am not too thrilled with the new look overall. The previous 05-07 front end looked great to me from any angle -- in fact I thought it was the best side of the vehicle!
  • Options
    I agree. Subarus have a long history of looking better in person than in photos.

Bob
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I saw the front fascia at a focus group about a year ago. I didn't like it as the hood line is now too tall IMHO.

It didn't have the winged grille - just the normal egg crate.
  • Options
    for '08 has a new torque converter. All 3.0s also have new camshafts. Both these upgrades make for better driving, so I've heard.

Bob
  • Options
    css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    I suspect that the wagons are gone from the Legacy line and the sedans are gone from the Outback line.

If so, Subaru can now further differentiate these models and create 2 distinct lines.

We might even see 2-door Spec-B, and 3.0R coupes.

The Outback grill is a small move in this direction. I think it is a good design - although a bit conservative.

After Tribeca they appear to be cautious.
  • Options
    I agree with your points, but I wish the rest of the Outback went with the new grille. The front end definitely has fresh styling, but it seems out of step with the rest of the (mostly unchanged) body. To take a really bold direction, I would have expected some significant tweaks to the side and rear views as well -- at least on the cladding/trim/bumper covers that are inexpensive to change. I understand that the rest of the body stampings are too expensive to change mid-model, so they can only go so far.
  • Options
    Any word on which transmission options are available with which motors?

Is there a manual option with the H6?

Is the turbo H4 still around? With manual?
  • Options
    I hope not, cause if so I'm officially out of Subaru. Why is it so difficult in this country to get utility of wagon, but driving of sedan. Why is it that only Germans and Swedes understand that concept? So frustrating.. :cry::cry::cry:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Is there a manual option with the H6?

Answer to that is no (for sure). Press release says clearly "automatic trasmission is standard on all 6 cyliners"

H4 turbo is very much alive and well. They are trying to position 3.0R ABOVE GT Spec B, but I would not hold my breath with that. Current H6 with current auto is still too lethargic to be seriously considered a sporty car. And Legacy is too small to compete with those "floating" luxuries like ES350 or similar. I think it's going nowhere in this form and large cash back is coming soon after release.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    To you and I the Outback seems out of step because we're so familiar with the car. The average person only sees the whole package, and it's fine.

Bold will come after the new Impreza.

Here is a story:

12 weeks ago I ordered a 5P Ltd. Tribeca with the SE pkg in Diamond gray. The dealer hasn't been able to give me a straight answer regarding delivery - says his distributor had no information.

I'm in NJ so the dealers have to buy from a regional distributor(SDC - Subaru Distributors Corp.) - not directly from SOA. I'm sure you know this already - anyhow today I was told that there will be no more factory installed SE packages.

I called Cherry Hill and they are looking into it.

This car was for my wife who is now quite annoyed. We're off this weekend to look at anything but Subaru.

This would have been our third Subaru - 2'nd Tribeca! Subaru has done this before - Last year I wanted an Outback SE - this was advertised in the fall of 05 - It was a 2.5i w/ Nav. I wound up leasing the Tribeca. I never saw that model in any lot!!

Do you have any info that might help me?

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Charlie
  • Options
    I never understood the point of "ordering" a car. Knowing what I know, the factory produces X cars with Y options, and that's it. It's not like they are assembling "your" car. The only time I ever ordered a car was when my dealer didn't have any of the particular one I wanted anywhere so just waited for them to come in from Japan, but in that case it was a fairly generic optioned car.

Nowdays I just go in, see what I want and buy it, less stress than "ordering" something that may or may not be available.

-mike
  • Options
    Would seem that your dealer made the error and didn't get things in place to allocate a B9 that met your order. While Subaru (SIA) produces the Tribecas, it's the dealer and the distributor that are at fault here for not meeting your order. I'm also surprised you dealt with a dealer you had an issue with before. Any dealers out of state you can go to?

I ordered my '04 F-XT. Why? Because a Java Black MT was nowhere to be found anywhere in the Midwest region, or even out West at the port. Sure, mine was likely already produced by that point, they just added the options at the port and directed it (allocated) to my dealer. It did take 12 weeks or so if I recall.

I too will try to find the vehicle on the lot or at least nearby. You can call or email Subaru as well, they can identify what is in the line and enroute. I've already inquired about finding a Legacy GT sedan, since I want to test drive one at least, and there are no GT's in the area.

-Brian
  • Options
    Agreed, if it's a hard to find car, ordering may be your only choice. In the NY/NJ area, there are literally like 40 dealers so finding something shouldn't really be an issue.

-mike
  • Options
    I picked up Info on the Outback SE from a press release at the Subaru news room site -

The dealer and the Distributor claimed to have never heard about this model. The car didn't hit the dealers until march and only in the seacrest green. That's 5 months after I read the release.

Even SOA customer service was unaware of the model - the ads were on TV for at least a month in January!!

The dealer never took a deposit - no harm done, and This was for a lease. And with a lease I'm not that particular, however when I buy....

I order my vehicles because I want Factory options only, I don't want one that's been test driven, no dealer sticker on the trunk - unless they want to pay me for advertising, ...you get the picture. I'm spending 30K + and they want me to settle - different color, options.
    What if I showed up to pick up the car with $385 less than THEY wanted "well I tried but I couldn't find all the money. will this do? It's almost what you want."

I hope that my wife change her mind and SOA will find me a car. In the meantime will be looking at the Infinity G35X - we're considering a car now & I'll lease another Tribeca when my lease comes due. This may be a blessing in disguise.

Charlie
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Being as old as I there was a time when everyone put in their order for a specific USA car and that is the way you bought it. That was pre 1976 Honda Accord (blue, silver or gold/manual or auto/dealer installed AC) I remember well the 1969 green Plymouth that my father ordered and after two months finally came in as a black one without the factory air but with nifty little fender mounted turn signals. Oh and I had fun with it the first day counting the screws left out or loose and the wires dangling and the upsidedown hood ornament (oops that was actually his 1950 Plymouth with the upside down Mayflower).
  • Options
    It shouldn't be an issue but the Distributor(SDC)decides for the region what to bring in. The dealers pick from SDC's inventory, not SOA's

After the cars go to SDC there is no way for SOA to track their allocation to the individual dealers. If my car was assembled but a different NJ dealer snatched it SOA wouldn't even know.

Charlie
  • Options
    No offense but I buy off the lot every time and I get the color, options and no dealer advertising.

If a dealer "orders" you a car and picks it up at another dealer you would never know that it had another dealer's sticker on the back before hand.

I guess I'm spoiled in the NY/NJ area where you can literally have your dealer get any car in any combination you want for me.

Heck when I went to buy my Armada they sold the charcoal grey one I was coming to get between when I called my salesman and the 40 min it took for me to drive there. But They had a Silver one at their other dealership and delivered it up to me within 2hrs.

-mike
  • Options
    If you order bunch of accessories with your car (short throw shifter, gage pack, etc.), you may residualize them into lease, if you so desire, you also get them at essentially lower price, as you avoid dealer installation costs. In my area (SE) you are lucky, if you see one Legacy GT and one Outback XT per dealership. Forget your color, forget your options. Ordering makes perfect sense here.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    I've never had a dealer charge me installation on things like short throw shifters and gauge packs if you order them with the car new and they roll it into the lease or loan, however it does make sense in a case like you put forward where the selection isn't available. Here in NY/NJ we are just spoiled with tons of car dealers and inventory to choose from.

-mike
  • Options
    i was checking 07 tribeca inventory at NE dealers. very limited. just 2-4 at each. they used to carry 10-15 of 2006.

this tells me a major change in tribeca is coming soon & be available in summer. your thouths ?