Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    The current model will be a tough act to follow. I hope they don't go all angular and deface it like they did with the Outback. There's little chance they won't, but here's hoping.

As for interior, the dash appearance of the previous Impreza (sweeping lines) was far more attractive than the blocky look of the new one. I almost feel like this decade might be the new '80s.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    As for interior, the dash appearance of the previous Impreza (sweeping lines) was far more attractive than the blocky look of the new one. I almost feel like this decade might be the new '80s.

Well looks are subjective, but I much prefer the new Impreza dashboard over the old (which I have in my WRX).

The clock, outside temp gauge are much easier to read (type is larger, and there's more spacing between items), the dash is now padded and looks and feels much richer.

I do prefer the higher mounted NAV unit on the old model, but that's about it.

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I sort of agree with both of you ... I like the new feel, but I prefer the old look.

So long as the new one is more functional, that works. It looks fine, I just like the sweeping curves on the old one a bit more.
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    It looks fine, I just like the sweeping curves on the old one a bit more.

I'm going to send this quote to your wife. ;)
  • Options
    For a while Bob thought she had posed for the 2010 brochure. :D
  • Options
    You mean she never told you? ;)

Bob
  • Options
    Let's hope for lower insurance and an off button. ;)
  • Options
    Oh. My. Goodness.

I have so many bad things to say about this, I don't even know where to start. It is simply shocking how willing auto manufacturers are to cater to the useless among us. Shocking.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    These devices are not only the beginning of both fully automated driving, but also 'altered reality' driving where additional information is displayed for the driver based on cameras, radar and other sensing technology.

Instead of thinking about how people should just pay attention and do their own braking, imagine driving in torrential rain with and without the benefit of knowing:

- exactly where vehicles are
    - their speed and acceleration (more important is deceleration)
    - exit signs
    - speed limits
    - disabled cars and emergency vehicles

I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords. :D
  • Options
    rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    Let's hope for lower insurance and an off button.

Yes. But safety has been one of their selling points and they need to meet the market to a degree to thrive.

On another topic, finally saw a new Impreza in person -- anyone else feel like those front fender flares from the side view anyway feel stuck on w/o regard to the rest of the design? Feels like they at least need to extend into the doors a bit to feel integral.
  • Options
    rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    Let's hope for lower insurance and an off button.

Yes. But for those hard against such a system, safety has been one of their selling points and they need to meet the market to a degree to thrive. Better yet, let them lead the market w/a system in a non-luxury brand.

On another topic, finally saw a new Impreza in person -- anyone else feel like those front fender flares from the side view anyway feel stuck on w/o regard to the rest of the design? Feels like they at least need to extend into the doors a bit to feel integral.
  • Options
    I agree Colin. And to take your point a step further: can you imagine today's pilots not having access to all the high-tech navigation and safety gizmos—especially in the bad weather you mentioned. It's not a matter of just paying "more" attention. You can pay all the attention to driving (or flying) you want, but there are just some things and situations you can't see or be prepared for.

Bob
  • Options
    I'm not against, that's why I praised the off button.

I wouldn't pay extra for these, however it's likely they will eventually become standard so the cost will be built-in.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Again, feelings mixed. Put that sh-tuff on a car and it might have a "off" button for a while, but before long the button will be gone and the nanny will stay.

I say that if you don't want to drive, take the bus and leave the driving to those of us who do.

We, collectively, are becoming so risk averse that not only do we not care when our freedoms are taken away, we welcome it. It is so very, very sad.

You know, the nice thing about all these nannies on other peoples' cars is that some day I can tear through traffic in my old hoopty without a care in the world for the other cars on the road... they'll get out of the way whether the drivers want them to or not! :P
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    We, collectively, are becoming so risk averse that not only do we not care when our freedoms are taken away, we welcome it. It is so very, very sad.

I hear you. But it's not such an easy choice.

For example, I despise the daytime running lights in my car. At night, when I get in the car and start to back down my driveway, they mess up my night vision. The feature can't even be temporarily defeated, which is really bad.

However, when I see all the idiots on the road who can't be bothered to turn their lights on at dawn... in the rain... in the fog... I wonder if the Canadians don't have the right idea, mandating DRLs.

I ride my bike to work every day, and the "driving" I see around me is scary.

Not a year goes by without some yahoo taking a stab at hitting me.. usually I can see it coming. Blowing through a stop sign at 30 mph in a neighborhood; you can tell ahead of time. But driving down the median at 35 when two lanes of traffic are blocked -- that guy nearly got me a couple years back as I crossed the road -- I didn't see that coming.

Driving for most people isn't just a marginal skill, it's not a skill at all. So why I don't want EyeSight in MY car, thank you very much, I welcome it in everyone who passes me. Every year or two, some cyclist in this town gets rammed from behind in broad daylight. I'll take the nannies.

Time to get an Outback while a 6speed MT w/out nannies is still available....

Cheers -Mathias
  • Options
    For example, I despise the daytime running lights in my car. At night, when I get in the car and start to back down my driveway, they mess up my night vision. The feature can't even be temporarily defeated, which is really bad.

Unless it's changed in recent years, you can disable the DRLs by pulling the parking brake up a notch. Of course this does not apply to the 2010+ Legacy/Outback with electronic PB.
  • Options
    That's what the manual says for my Vibe. I've owned an '04 and now own an '07, and the defeat feature does not work/has not worked in either.

In my wife's '03 Sienna, it works just fine. Go figure.
    Cheers -Mathias
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    For example, I despise the daytime running lights in my car. At night, when I get in the car and start to back down my driveway, they mess up my night vision.

But headlights don't?? BTW, why are you backing out of your driveway at night without any lights on??
  • Options
    Time to get an Outback while a 6speed MT w/out nannies is still available....

That's what I'm thinking... my next new car might just be my last new car. If nothing else, I do have four vehicles built 35-40+ years ago, and I might just have to hang onto them for life! ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I agree with Mathias. I generally don't turn my lights on (I use parking lights only) while backing away from my house. The reason is that the headlights, reflecting off the house in front of me, tend to overpower the backup lights and leave me with very poor rearward vision. I wouldn't say I am "driving without lights" though, given that all the markers are on as well as the white backup lights, and only while reversing.

My first "collision" came only a few months after getting my license. I was backing my mom's car out of the garage (where there were lights on) into darkness, and a friend of hers had pulled into the driveway while I was headed into the garage (it was an attached garage, so I was in the house and didn't know she was there). Of course, she parked just outside this particular garage stall, so as I backed the car out, it suddenly stopped with a small "crunch." Looking out the back window, I literally couldn't see anything there.

A little stunned, I got out, looked in disbelief at this car that somehow had materialized back there, and then went inside to confess all. Thankfully, all I had done was bend the license plate on her friend's car and scuff my mom's bumper. :blush:

Of course, headlights won't make much difference in that sort of situation, but then I haven't had a garage in which to park for the better part of two decades!
  • Options
    Well, like xwesx said: The backup lights are on, and I can actually see where I'm going. With the headlights on, forget it, especially when the windows are wet.

Heck, sometimes I catch myself navigating my driveway with no seatbelt on :surprise:

Cheers -Mathias
  • Options
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/29/subaru-releases-2013-legacy-outback-details-a- head-of-new-york-d/

FB engine replaces old 2.5.

2.5GT dropped. :(

Lots of refinements. Examples: Outback's roof rack is now adjustable to handle longer loads. Improved handling on all models. 2nd-Gen CVT replaces earlier version, plus a bunch more.

Bob
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Still no memory settings... :confuse:
  • Options
    Still no memory settings... :confuse:

"The Outback Limited models for 2013 offer a new Special Appearance Package option that provides a new Keyless Access & Start system along with a two-position memory system for the already-standard 10-way power driver's seat."

Limited to the Limited (as an option package), but it's a start.
  • Options
    Wow - I must have missed that! Cool! Finally!
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    "body roll reduced up to 40%" Glad I was not the only person that disliked the Buick effect on the 4 cyl. Outback.
  • Options
    You weren't. A number of people have complained.

Bob
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    dealer salesman was just at a BRZ meeting in LA. They got to sit in the car, but not drive it. He said in his many years at Subaru, this was the only new model that he didn't like. He said it is "tiny" and his 6 foot frame couldn't fit--head in the roof, and no shoulder space.

It gave me flashback visions of an OPEL GT...guess my 6'3" is not even going to try this one out.

On a different note, he said a bunch of the guys were hammering Subaru HQs for a Baja version based on the new OB. He said HQ was listening....$4 gallon gas...will go a long way to making it a winner.

John
  • Options
    I sat in a BRZ at the DC auto show in January. The salesman is correct. Widebodies need not apply, as the seat bolsters are designed for thinsters.

Hope a neo-Baja reappears as well.

Bob
  • Options
    I sat in the BRZ last weekend and my 6' 2.5" 250 lb frame fit fairly well ... it's a sport coupe not an Outback.
  • Options
    Think you would be comfortable on a fairly long trip in that seat? I don't think I would, as it's too confining.

Bob
  • Options
    colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    it's probably the same width as the Recaro SRD in my Evo. there were complaints about them back then, and also complaints that the (2003) STi's seat bolsters were too wide.
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
  • Options
    Looks rather decent, and much better proportioned than the Impreza variant.
  • Options
    Going to the NY show tomorrow, and will see it in the flesh, along with the refreshed Legacy and Outback models. :)

Bob
  • Options
    Sweet, Bob! I know you'll report back your thoughts on it, and I look forward to reading them! :shades:
  • Options
    I fit and I'm at 213 lbs or so right now. It's strictly a 2 seater, though.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I fit too, but just barely. Not so sure I'd want to take a long trip in those seats though, as they are so confining.

Wish automakers would offer adjustable side bolsters to fit different size people. :( There's a reason why pants aren't all sold with a 34" waist and a 32" inseam. Same should be the case with these sport seats that grip you so tightly. Make them adjustable so all body types can fit—comfortably! We already have fore/aft and height seat adjustments; time to include side bolster (width) adjustments.

Bob
  • Options
    carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    When will the 2013 be available?
  • Options
    I think (?) they said late summer.

Bob
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Subaru is about to introduce in Japan a new Legacy DIT. DIT = Direct Injection Turbo

It's a 2.0 engine, either FB-based or FA-based. My guess is FA-based, and puts out ~ 300 hp, although nothing yet has been officially announced. I believe the turbo is a twin-scroll design.

It's been rumored that Subaru has been working on a high-capacity CVT for their diesel and other high-torque Subie engines, and that apparently is in this car. I believe this HD CVT will go on sale in Australia next winter in the Outback diesel, and presumably in the all-new Forester diesel.

Another unique feature of this Legacy DIT is that it has Subaru's SI-Drive, with 3 operating modes. When in "S#" mode, the CVT has 8 (ultra-close-ratio!) manual shift positions, whereas in the other modes it has the usual 6 shift positions found in other Subaru CVTs.

Here are some links (including a video) I've found on it:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37041734&postcount=50

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37041819&postcount=51

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37041854&postcount=52

Here's another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1cRfDHixHng

I bet we see this drivetrain combo showing up in the next WRX and/or STI, which is due for the 2014 MY.

Bob
  • Options
    It cruises along at less than 1500rpm at times, wow.

I bet the STI will see EPA numbers jump up huge - from 17/23 to 20/29 or so, watch.

Let's see how enthusiasts take to a CVT on a hyper-performance car.
  • Options
    This is interesting. Subaru tried to trademark the name "DIT" here in the USA but was refused.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37045854&postcount=60

Bob
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    An electric turbo?!?! Why not. We're seeing more and more electric power steering, etc., so why not an electric turbo too?

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/electric-turbo-for-next-wrx-20120430-1- - xuo6.html

Bob
  • Options
    I don't like the name anyway. EcoBoost you market, DIT you DON'T. :D

Think of a better name...
  • Options
    They seem to think one (WRX or STI) would get a CVT as an option, but imply both would keep their manuals.
  • Options
    Yeah, the manual won't go away; at least not yet.

I'm very curious to see how a HD CVT would compare to a DSG. I like the idea of being able to select how many (faux) gears you can use/select. Unlike conventional gearboxes (auto or manual), with a CVT it appears to be no more difficult than merely programming a computer chip; cheap and efficient.

Bob
  • Options
    Direct conversion of heat to electricity is the holy grail of science and engineering. If Subaru can develop a way to do that efficiently, they can profit immensely by licensing the patent(s).