Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    on this naming thing, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the '03 Legacy "facelift" which will be shown in February at the Chicago Auto Show?

Frankly, I think it will be less than we had hoped for. That SOA "Product Launch" indicated the GT turbo won't arrive until two years later, when the Legacy will be entirely redesigned. So, here's what I think we'll see:

• All the "functional" updates that the home-market and Aussie models just got. That includes: revised suspension, new flywheel, new headlamps, etc.

• I think we'll see the H-6 offered as an option in lesser Outbacks.

• The Legacy GT may(?) get sport seats and a MOMO steering wheel, to hopefully please "sporting" customers. Maybe even 17" rims as an option?

• We know about On-Star going into premium-level Outbacks. It may also be offered in the Legacy GT Limited too.

I think that'll be about it.

Bob
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I think they'll slap the H6 in the GTs as well.

-mike
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I think the GT will get the H6 or AVCS 2.5L. It's been hinted around that we'll see more NA power in the Legacy before we see the turbo.

Dennis
  • Options
    So far Subaru has indicated the H-6 is not slated for the Legacy model. I know it seems hard to believe...

Bob
  • Options
    DOHC AVCS 2.5L makes it over here too—maybe tweaked a bit too. I forgot about that engine.

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think they should simplify the lineup a bit. There are so many Outbacks:

H4 5 speed
    H4 auto
    AWP can be added to each of those
    H4 5 speed LTD
    H4 auto LTD
    H6 Bean
    H6 VDC

And that's just the wagon! There are more than a dozen variations with significant powertrain/option package differences. That has to be innefficient.

I say simplify the line up:

H4 5 speed or auto, AWP standard
    H6 on base with AWP
    H6 LTD, VDC an option not a different model

That's it. Should please just about everyone. I'm bummed to hear the turbo Legacy is delayed, looks like the turbo 2004 Forester will have to do the trick for the wife.

-juice
  • Options
    that I would like to see the LL Bean and VDC be combined into one model. I agree, there are too many Outbacks. I'm also wondering if the Impreza Outback Sport will be renamed the Impreza RV, as it is labeled in Australia?

I can also see VDC making it into the Legacy GT Limited. Boy, can you imagine the name if it also had the H-6: it would be the "Legacy GT Limited H-6 VDC." Whew...

Bob
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    One thing I haven't heard, but seems possible, is a monotone OB. Given that the JDM Legacys are mostly monotone, plus the fact that the Forester S+ already have it, my guess is that we'll see monotone OB offerings along with the face lift and H6. While the current two-tone is an OB trademark, I think the look is getting a little long in the tooth. Even the new Impreza Sport has less two-tone coloring.

Ken
  • Options
    Maybe they could make the VDC monotone, if they keep it, so it stands out like the Premium Foresters do?

If they at least made the auto a 5 speed, especially with steering wheel mounted push buttons for shifting, I think I could get the wife to live with an H6 sedan.

-juice
  • Options
    the "Sport-Shift" making it here too. Just wish it were a 5-speed version...

Bob
  • Options
    very surprised to see something totally "new" show up in the facelifted Legacy. I think what ever changes we see, will come from the current world-market corporate parts-bin.

Bob
  • Options
    True, but it's about time their largest market gets something first, don't you think?

C'mon, if Kia can offer one in their Sedona for $19k, why can't Subaru on their near luxury models?

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    for the ST-X. Has anyone pondered the thought of calling it something similar to VDC? Like Outback STC?

-Brian
  • Options
    I like Outback Crew, Outback STX, it could happen.

-juice
  • Options
    fernieguyfernieguy Member Posts: 55
    BRUT (Bi-Range Utility Truck) I know I'm dreaming on the dual range tranny :-(

Subaru Boreal (there's not much boreal forest in the states though, then again not much outback either)

That's it

So what are your choices so far Patti, you've been pretty quiet lately on the naming frenzy we have going.

Stephen
  • Options
    Let's keep our fingers crossed. Maybe SOA will indeed surprise us. :)

Also, I think the Brat-NOT will be a tip-off as to what we might expect in the facelifted Legacy/Outback, at least in terms of powertrain.

Bob
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Both the parts guy and the salesman at the dealers I frequent both say no H6 in the Legacy but definitely turbo in two years.

I would have to believe that the parts guy has some inside info, he is the guy who has just built a replica of the phase one world rally impreza with everything imported from Japan including the STI engine and complete suspension.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    suspension is cake, but you have to respect someone that's done an STi engine conversion. I'd go insane with the wiring harness.

-Colin
  • Options
    I hope it's called the TABS if we use acronyms:

Two ton towing
    Auto 5 speed
    Bi-range
    Switchback

Just hinting at the desired content!

-juice
  • Options
    You should see this Impreza, has the whole body kit including the wild spoiler, 4 piston front calipers and two piston rear calipers.

recaro interior, Momo wheel, the only thing I did not like were the gold rims.

If I get a minute one of these days I will get some Photos of it.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968
    I can't keep up in here. I get to check the board every couple of days and this latest hiatus has me returning to about 150 new messages. Slow down!

Locke -
    I just hope the new Brat, or whatever it will be, just doesn't have all that ugly unpainted plastic cladding like the Chevy Avalanche. Or Aztek. (shudder)
    I just had to comment because when you first started that statement, all I could think about was my Forester. ;)

The International Scout was a great truck. Good luck trying to keep one, though. Parts are rare and expensive. I wanted one as my first vehicle. Luckily, my father talked me out of it and I ended up with an easily maintainable CJ7 instead.

Smokey and the Bandit is "old school"??? Who said that?? I missed it, I just spotted the comment and could only think "I'm not that old! I'm not that old!" C'mon!! "old school"?!!! I didn't see that, right?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    pardon my ignorance but whats AVCS???
  • Options
    AVCS = active valve control system

-Colin
  • Options
    pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    reading through these posts. My son is bugging because he wants to know, but - I know the rules. I can't say anything or, I might not be allowed to post here anymore. I can say that someone has gotten "very warm" on this board. The second I get the go ahead, it'll be here!

Patti
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    How about subtle hint at the who that got warm on the ST-X name? Maybe just address your next post to that person. ;)

-Brian
  • Options
    Subaru Outback STX

Makes sense to cash in on the Outback name, and since it's based on the Outback might as well. My guess next year is that you'll see this lineup:

Subaru Outback (H4)
    Subaru Outback VDC (H6)
    Subaru Outback STX (H4/H6)

-mike
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    my comments to the "closest" person, but I'm afraid it would give away too much. I'll try to come up with something by tomorrow.

Patti
  • Options
    The XC90 has been long rumored. It looks like a cross between the current Volvo wagons and BMW's X-5. It will be available with both 5 and 6 cylinder engines, as well as a diesel.

Bob

http://just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=36326&dm=yes
  • Options
    1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    Kinda ugly! IMHO
  • Options
    so I like what I see so far. I'm more interested as to whether it is truly off-road ready with a low/high range gearbox. It appears to have good ground clearance, and approach/departure angles.

Bob
  • Options
    I just tried to inventory all the names between Patti's two posts. The list is so long (107), the Edmunds TH software won't allow me to post it!

Bob
  • Options
    I thought I would add two more:

Round-About, and Eureka.

Bob
  • Options
    sorry, I was in a hurry last night and no one else picked up so I'll fill in the details.

the Active Valve Control System is Subaru's variable valve timing and it is currently not offered on any North American products. oversimplified, it is a hydraulic system that changes the phase (timing) of the intake camshaft, which yes does mean it is only on DOHC models. there are more than a few brands besides subaru using cam-phasing VVT.

the new Impreza WRX in the Japanese Domestic Market has AVCS and makes a bit more power and broader torque than our 227HP, non AVCS version.

-Colin
  • Options
    I actually like that Volvo. But the XC I test drove a while back handled like a Buick, floaty and unprecise. Blind spots are bad, too, because of the thick pillars. I imagine their SUV will be worse than the XC, which IMO isn't car-like enough for the car that it is.

We actually hit a Volvo dealer last night (free truck and $20 toy offer my wife found). The S60 is really elegant, but again visibility is awful for such a small car.

She actually liked a very plain V70 wagon they had in the showroom. It had the 3rd seat and she thought it was so nifty it had her amused at a wagon for the first time ever. $30k, not bad, but it had cloth, no moonroof, and the non-turbo engine. Add that stuff and I'm sure it'd be more like $35k, plus reliability has been poor.

We didn't drive anything because she sweet-talked the salesman into stamping her "offer" without a test drive. Oh well, more freebies.

The V70 is a tad bigger than the Outback, so I think my wife agrees with paisan that a slightly bigger platform would appeal to folks like her.

-juice
  • Options
    Isn't that discontinuted?

-mike
  • Options
    The S70 sedan was, and it now called the S60. The V70 still exists.

So their lineup has the S40, V40, S60, V70, C70, and S80, IIRC.

-juice
  • Options
    Yeah the 80s I don't like cause they have a wierd shaped tail lights. I prefer the squared off rear end. I know that me liking the squared off design comes as a big suprise ;)

-mike
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Bob- Let's see if this could shrink the size.

Patti- Does the closest "name" reside in (fernieguy) Stephen's list? :-)

-Dave
  • Options
    In MS Word, I alphabetized it, and added a paragraph space between letters. That did the trick. :)

Bob

Adirondack
    Adventurer
    Alpine
    Aspen
    Assist
    Avon

Baja
    Bear
    Boar
    Bonanza
    Boreal
    Boss
    Boulder
    Break
    BRUT (Bi-Range Utility Truck)

Cabster
    Canyon
    Cascade
    Chief
    Cirque
    Coast
    Colby
    Coulee
    Crescent
    Crewster
    Cross

DAVE
    Dingo
    Drifter
    Dune

Eureka
    Expose

Fescue
    Forman
    Frog

Glacier
    Grit
    Ground Hog
    Harvest
    Harvester
    Herder
    Hiker
    Hogan
    Holeshot
    Hunter

Incline

Kendall
    King Crimson

Logger

Marmot
    Mate
    Minnow
    Montrose
    Moose

Oakley
    Osprey
    Outback (Corn) Husker
    Outback Crew
    Outback STC
    Outback STX

Patriot
    Pickster
    Pika
    Pleazer
    Prairie

Rapid (as in part of a river)
    Raptor
    Razorback
    Redwood
    Reno
    Retriever
    Roo
    Rooster
    Round-About
    Roundup
    Rubble

Salamander
    Shenandoah
    Shepherd
    Sherpa
    Shrike
    Skier
    Spire
    Stream
    Summit
    Surpriza
    Switchback

TABS (Two ton towing, Auto 5 speed, Bi-range)
    Tern
    Thrasher
    Thrush
    TreeHugger
    Trekker
    Trout

Utah

Vail

Wanderer
    Weston
    Whisperer
    Wolvarine
    Woodpecker

Yallingup
  • Options
    I think the guys who designed the Aztek have had a hand in the design of some of the latest Volvos.

The latest cross country that is v70 based just looks butt ugly with all that plastic cladding trying to make it look macho, IMHO. anyway.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Harvester makes it sound like a farm truck... available only in "combine red" hehe...

BRUT is kinda cool... free bottle of cologne with every purchase?

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    Pat: and the cladding is either blue or brown, not grey/black. It's truly odd looking, IMO.

Wow, Bob, nice job, but that's a lot of names. I can't believe how many we came up with, starting with 21 different letters!

I like several, including Alpine, Aspen, Boulder, Crewster, OB Crew, Prairie, Switchback, and Trekker.

Remember, Patti said we were very warm, so it doesn't sound like we nailed it. Maybe it's a combination name, like Outback Aspen.

-juice
  • Options
    I'm pretty certain is coming from "Outback"

-Dave
  • Options
    That list "doesn't" include all the names prior to Patti's comments!

Bob
  • Options
    Outback Runner

-Dave
  • Options
    The list is closed (just kidding).

Bob
  • Options
    is that names that suggest "strength" (Brut, Boulder, Utah, etc.), probably won't make the cut. If we were talking about a HD 3/4 pickup, then there would no problem with those names. Here we're talking about a rock-hopper at best.

Hmmm... "Rock Hopper??"

Bob
  • Options
    it sounds like a derivative of something we've already posted. Or something that's been posted, but with "trick" spelling.

Bob
  • Options
    1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    You left off Wallaby !
  • Options