Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Ford Expedition Tires and Wheels

I have 265's for my tires on my 1999 Expedition. I came across a new set of 245's. Is it safe to put these on and use them?

Comments

• My '07 Expy EL was standing outside unused for 3 years before I bought it last month with 13 miles on the clock. Everyone has advised me to change the tires, but they seem in good condition and I have done nearly 2,000 miles so far with them on. However, next weekend we're planning a 1,000 mile trip through some of the most desolate desert known to man in 100+ degree heat and the last thing I want is a blow out on the highway. BUT I've got a bit of a funding crisis at the moment and I can do without spending $900 on tires.

So I risk it and run on the current shoes, or do I play it safe and invest in some new ones?

Also, a garage suggested I put Cooper Tires on. Being from the UK I've never heard of them, are they any good?

TIA
  • asker1asker1 Posts: 3
    I have 4 tires on a 98 Ford Expedition size LT255/80R17 but the spare is P265/70R17.

Will the spare work with the tires on the car?

Thank you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 128,257
    Does your Expy have full-time AWD?

The spare is about 4.4% smaller than the other four.... that's significant, I think... As an emergency spare, it would probably be okay, if you can run in 2WD, but I wouldn't want that on there for more than a few miles if you have full-time AWD..

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator