Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you purchased a new car in the last year and had it delivered to your home/office from a dealership? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you about it. Please reach out to [email protected] by end of day Sunday, December 9, and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Waxes and Polishes, Part III

mznmzn Posts: 727
If you've missed part II, please click here.

Let the sharing of advice & experience continue!

carlady/roving host

Comments

• pblevinepblevine Posts: 858
    Graphicguy,
    Love it! Your cat actually attacked the screen! I'll have to try it too. My car is the Honda Accord '98 EX V6 Coupe in Emerald Green. 'Have a friend who has a GTP, and I've posted in related topics. The GTP is a great car and its performance ability is underrated by most magazines. 'Don't know why. I love my Coupe and my wife loves the size, but I'd never 'dis the GTPs. If you want better performance, go GTP.

Gus & mzm,
    I know you have to create a third 'topic' for this subject due to large number of postings. But there should be a way to list all topics in descending order. After all, the most active topics are what generate interest in Edmunds Town Hall, and should be the easiest to get to. It is a real pain to have to drill down to the end of a forum list.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    pblevine-

I THINK there is a way to control the order of the topics on the topic page by clicking at the top of the column???? Don't you just placemark the topics and go to them from there? It's a lot easier then going to all the topics until you find the ones you want. There's a "help" section at the bottom of this list, but I don't know if it was ever updated from the "old" Edmunds. It might explain how to rearrange the topic list.

fastdriver
  • newwestdnewwestd Posts: 157
    I just bookmark the current page of a topic (such as this one), and keep all the topic bookmarks in a separate bookmark folder. The next time I open it, it takes me to the most current page. I never go to the home page and scroll through lists.
  • It's possible I'm being a little retentive , but I've yet to find a satisfactory treatment for the exterior of my windshield. I'm looking for the following qualities:

I want rain to bead.
    I do not want a mark at the end of the wiper travel (point of wiper direction reversal).
    I want the wipers to run smoothly and quietly.
    I would like the treatment to last.

My personal experiences are:
    Rain-X: Great until the second rain at which point the wipers began to chatter terribly. It's fun to drive and watch the rain blow off the windshield. "Almost" don't need the wipers.

Zaino (Z2/Z5 polish): Leaves a haze behind the wiper blades during wiper operation. This is tolerable until I have to deal with oncoming headlights. Accumulates a streak at the wiper reversal point. Beads nicely outside of the wiper travel area.

Zaino Z-12 glass polish: This really cleaned the glass. The improved clarity was noticeable. Unfortunately, the rain flattened out and did not bead at all. This wasn't all bad but I much prefer to watch "beaded" raindrops get pushed off the windshield. I doesn't look as nice while parked in the rain either.

Has anybody found a better treatment without the downside of those I have tried?
    tthomas2-

Have you tried the Z-6??

fastdriver
  • Next time you buy a car tell the dealer "No dealer badging" and have them put it on the sales order. Also advise them it OK if they will give you a $200 advertising fee. License plate w/ dealers name is OK as you can discard it
  • ejyejy Posts: 62
    I told my dealer that if they put those ugly badges on my car it would be $1,000 a year for me to advertize for them. They left them off. Advertizing is not cheap!

I graciously accepted license plate frames. It's too bad NY is a '2 plate state'. They used machine screws and burrowed them right into my front bumper :{ For more, turn to Sportscars- topic 57...
    'Kinda sounds like a law firm name!

Fastdriver,
    Thanks. I try the bookmarks.

tthomas2,
    fastdriver has a good suggestion: Z6. I tried a variation with good results. First, I applied Z12 Glass Polish. And rubbed like crazy as it did leave a filmmy residue. So I then used Windex to remove the Z12 residue. Just be a little careful as Windex will remove Zaino Z2 from the car. Just spray it on a paper towel or old newspaper, and then use the wet towel directly against the outside windshield glass. When you're done, you should have a squeeky clean windshield. I also clean my wiper blades as the thin rubber material builds up dirt quickly. And finally, apply Zaino Z-6 to the windshield and wipe off. Just as fastdriver suggested. It will fill in those microscopic pits in the glass, allow water to bead, and give you an extra clean view.

ejy,
    Yeah, I too felt funny about having the dealer's logo on my license frames. I took the front frame off, removed the frame's front cover (with the dealer name) and put it back with four solid bolts rather than the two it came with. The whole thing had been loose. Just remember to use brass bolts and regular sheet metal steel will rust out quickly.
    To all-

I found that if I apply the Z-12 with a DAMP towel, it works better, goes on easier and is easier to rub on the glass. Then I use the Z-6.

Try it, you'll like it!

fastdriver
  • Fastdriver, pblevine,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a try. it hadn't occurred to me to use the Z6 on "bare" (but very clean) glass.

Terry
    tthomas2-

AND........don't forget that you can use it on your computer screen and TV screens! Great job! Try it.

fastdriver
    Re: Z6 applications

Do you do Windows too? :)
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Yes, you can resort the topic listing so that you see the most active topics first.

The default is to order the topics by number. You can override this by clicking on "Last Post" on the main conference page. Your list will then show you the topics in the order of newest posting within a topic.

You can also sort by Topic Title, New, or Number of Posts. I hope this helps.

carlady/roving host
    pblevine-

LOL..... No, I have someone come and do that! However, I bet it would do a great job if you used the Z-12 first. WHY wouldn't it work especially on the side of the house that always seems to get hit with rain the hardest.

fastdriver
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,060
    Accoard V6 EX... very nice car. The emerald green in gorgeous on it. It was on my shopping list, too when I was about to buy (as was BMW 3 series, Acura TL and numerous other cars).

I came within a hair of buying the Accord EX V6 except I was seduced by the power of the GTP. Different cars...both very good at what they do...both offer a lot of car for the $.

I find that washing with Z1 and applying Z6 to the windshiled does the trick. Is there that much of a difference with Z12?
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
    mzm,
    I'll give the reverse order option a try. Thanks again for stopping by ('roving') and your good advice.

fastdriver,
    One of the programmers here has a door sign which reads: "I do Windows". 'Think I'll give him a spare bottle of Z-6.

graphicguy,
    The GTP certainly has power. I took it from a standing start up a big hill with curves. Very impressive! The Z12 polish will remove those very hard to get films of dirt and plastic residue. The kind that normally require much rubbing with Windex. It's very good for interior glass and windows which accumulate that damn plastic 'curing' residue. Its less effective on the outside glass, but you can really see the difference. Did you really mean Z1 before Z6 or was it the car washing concentrate?
    I meant the car wash concentrate first then Z6. I get my "Z" numbers confused regularly.

My only fear with Z12 is I've heard mixed reviews on the ability to get it on and off without a lot of work (OK, I'm lazy). I still use glass cleaner or water and vinegar with newspaper. This works well initially, but as you pointed out, as the inside plastics "cure", the streaks come back. I'm still looking for the "miracle" solution to keep the windows from showing streaks within a few days of cleaning them. Maybe I'll just have to settle for the fact that there just isn't a cure for this problem.

I read all the claims of different window cleaning products, none has performned to my satisfaction, yet.
  • pat455pat455 Posts: 603
    I'm curious as to whether you have tried Eagle 20/20 glass cleaner. I've read glowing reports, but have never tried it myself.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • tom3ktom3k Posts: 91
    [Havent been here for a couple of weeks, so I'm catching up]

Dealer badge was on the when I arrived. It was not the car I ordered (the one I ordered did not come in for 3 more weeks). Removed badge successfully with absolutely no damage. It looks like it was never there.

I Zainoed my 2000 Odyssey, and the water indeed beads, but differently from any other wax or polish I've used. The stuff actualy appears, to repel water. It sheets off so fast, that the car remains virtually dry! It really only collects in the flat spots (roof, back bumper).
    Thanks for the suggestion. No, I haven't used the Eagle 20/20. I've seen it, but haven't given it a try.

I used to use the Eagle car wax (Wet Look) and liked it. That is, before I discovered Zaino.

Anyone here use the Eagle 20/20 on their windows?
  • Ok so everyone seems so sold on Zaino brothers I went to their web site to see about prices/ordering. I click on every option and I am getting a 404 error/url not found. Is there a problem with their web site? I went to zainobros.com Also is this the only place you can buy their products?
  • Dharmabum,

Try http://www.zainobros.com again. I just perused the site and all appears well. They must have just put up a new web site because it is completely different. Much nicer. I suspect you were trying to visit the web site as they were bringing the new pages online.
    tthomas2-

The new ZAINO site is terrific! It's about time Sal put up some pics of what the cars look like after using Zaino. That alone should help to convince the "doubting Thomas's" out there!

I just got finished doing my cousin's BMW 2-seater BLACK convertible! It's AWESOME looking now!! I thought that the ZAINO looked terrific on my Candy Apple Red 300M, but on black it's ten times better!

IF there is any room left in my free Geocities account, I post some pics of it!

fastdriver
  • Hey Fastdriver,

Careful with those euphemisms. I have no doubt it's the best polish *I've* ever used;-)

TT
  • Thanks, you were right. Am checking it out now and all seems in order :)
    tthomas2-

LOL.... I was going to put a ;-)) after that, but thought I'd wait to see what you would say!! LOL...

fastdriver
    Yeah, it really looks good. And the pictures are just great! awesome. I think they're still making changes because when I first accessed it, my I.E. browser had some problems. Some panels were being overwritten. But it seems sound now.
    And I like the new 'application' section too.
  • Just got my Ody 2000. After washing my car, i tried to clean my windshield with windex. All it it did to my glass windshield is a water spots that is hard to remove. Any suggestions outhere w/o buying a Zaino products.
    Zaino Glass Polish will do the trick. You can order it directly or by mail from: www.zainobros.com. While you are waiting, however, try the following:

- Use Windex and rub with some old (crumbled up) newspaper, and then wash with Windex again.

- Use a 'Vinegar based product on the windshield.

- Use (last resort only) Dawn dishwashing liquid. This will help get rid of older waxes and plastic vapor based films.

- Also order Z6 (Gloss Enhancer). Does wonders for windows.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Posts: 423
    Carcareonline.com recommends a window cleaner made by Wurth. Believe it to be alcohol based. My perception is for auto glass an alcohol based window cleaner is better than an ammonia based cleaner. If a regular cleaner won't get the glass to your satisfaction then you'll need some glass polish which there are lots to chose from including the Zaino product mentioned above.
This discussion has been closed.