Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• Options
    smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Since the plant started building 08's a couple of weeks ago they should be showing up at dealers soon, right?

I'm curious whether Hyundai upgraded the transmission on the SE and Ltd. to the 6-speed unit used in the Veracruz. The current tranny, although a smooth operating unit, seems (to me) to not take full advantage of the 3.3 engine's capabilities. And with more stringent fuel economy measurement standards taking effect for 08, upgrading to the 6-speed would seem a prudent step to keep the EPA numbers from dropping.
  • Options
    virgil2virgil2 Member Posts: 6
    ''ALL of the SFs also had another, much smaller silver part that looks like another type of cooler behind the grille on the passenger side. It is located lower than the other but still just in front of the A/C condenser. I mistakenly thought this was the trans. cooler ''

If that's true, i will be very upset. :mad: Dealer told me that this cooler was a transmission oil cooler. I have to tow a folding camping trailer and maybe in a few years a little expendable travel trailer. I really wanted to be able to tow 3500 lbs and 2 differents Hyundai dealers told me there was no problems because the 3.3l is powerfull and there is a transmission oil cooler. Now, if it's not a transmission oil cooler on the passenger side, what is it and what about it? :confuse:
  • Options
    kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    "I looked at some SFs this evening at the dealer and found some (all with touring pkg) that clearly had the transmission oil cooler while others did not. If equipped, it is a black cooler located just behind the grille on the driver side. ALL of the SFs also had another, much smaller silver part that looks like another type of cooler behind the grille on the passenger side. It is located lower than the other but still just in front of the A/C condenser. I mistakenly thought this was the trans. cooler on mine, but I've now confirmed that mine does not have the towing package."

Hmmm ... I think what you are referring to as the A/C condenser is in fact the main radiator. I just looked at my 07 Limited w/ Touring. There is a large black cooling unit on the driver's side just in front of the radiator (clearly visible through the front of the grille). I assume that is the trans cooler, though I didn't have time to trace the lines. On the passenger side is a smaller, silver unit also mounted to the front of the radiator. That unit has silver metal high pressure lines and fittings, which would be consistent with it being part of the A/C system.
  • Options
    themoonmanthemoonman Member Posts: 12
    I would post a picture of an after market radio if I knew how. Can someone let me know?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The easiest way is to go to your CarSpace page and put the photos in the album there. The uploading process is easy. Then you can link to the photos there or paste the link in here with the Img button.
  • Options
    omloromlor Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '07 Santa Fe about 6 weeks ago and I am still very happy. My sister bought one only a couple of weeks ago as well. We have both had the same problem with the ignition switch within the past couple of weeks. When we put the ignition key in, the switch is locked and will not turn. My husband had this problem too. He "fiddles" with the switch and finally it will turn. My sister called roadside service and they had to tow in her car. The dealer told her she had left the wheels turned too sharply so the car wouldn't start.

Anyone else have this happen?

Comments
  • Options
    lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    I think you have to jiggle the steering wheel a bit to get the key to turn. A couple of weeks ago, I turned the steering wheel sharply after I turned off the car. I had to jiggle it to get it to start. I also think this might be an anti-theft thing.
  • Options
    mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    If my memory serves me correctly, the Santa Fe doesn't have a steering wheel lock. It therefore seems pretty unlikely that the position of the steering wheel would affect the operation of the ignition key.
  • Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    I have to disagree with you. On any modern vehicle with an air conditioning system, the condenser (not the compressor) is always mounted in front of the radiator and is the part that can be seen directly behind the grille. As jam-packed as everything is these days, the two separate parts can seem like it is one big radiator. The large black cooling unit is the transmission oil cooler. One thought on the smaller silver unit is that it could be the auxiliary (rear) A/C condenser but my vehicle is not so equipped as it isn't a 3rd seat model. If this is the case, then it could be that Hyundai puts one of these in every vehicle regardless of whether or not it has the rear A/C system, but I doubt it.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    "On any modern vehicle with an air conditioning system, the condenser (not the compressor) is always mounted in front of the radiator and is the part that can be seen directly behind the grille. "

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, because I think you just said exactly what I said, i.e., the silver unit on the passenger side just in front of the radiator is the A/C condenser. The black one on the driver side is the trans cooler. As I said, the silver one is right in front of the radiator, and has metal lines with high pressure fittings, which makes me think it is the A/C condenser.

What am I missing?
  • Options
    You stated earlier, "Hmmm ... I think what you are referring to as the A/C condenser is in fact the main radiator.

This is what I'm disagreeing with. The A/C condenser is the part that can be seen just behind the grille. It is usually the same approximate size as the radiator in length and width, but typically not as thick. It is commonly mistaken for a radiator, which I believe is what you may have done. The radiator sits behind the A/C condenser. My occupation has had me in and out of collision repair facilities for the past 13 years so I'm pretty familiar with this.

Look again at the smaller silver unit on the passenger side, which is entirely different than the large silver unit (condenser) that is in front of the radiator. This is the piece in question. Or stated more clearly, it it the 4th unit that we are trying to figure out, now that we know there is a radiator, A/C condenser, and (sometimes) a black transmission cooler.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    Aaaaahhhh. Now I get it. I'll look again.

Still, the small silver condenser does have high pressure fittings that look to me like it is part of the A/C system. My SF is a Touring model with the 3rd row seat, so it may indeed be an auxiliary A/C condenser.
  • Options
    Agreed on the high pressure fittings. One day when I have time I'll try to trace these lines.

• Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You're correct, it is an anti-theft feature (not to be confused with an alarm or disabling device). I believe all cars sold inthe USA since 1968 have had locking steering wheels. Remember the cars of the 60's, 70's, and 80's which had the ignition in the steering column and a button or lever had to be pushed to remove the key?

The steering wheel will lock when the steering wheel is moved a little with no key in the ignition. Once locked, the steering wheel needs to be "jiggled" in order for the key to turn in the ignition. (The wheels of the car don't have to be turned "too much" for the ignition to lock, it's steering wheel movement which locks the steering wheel and ignition.)

There is nothing wrong with a car that does this...it is supposed to do this.
  • Options
    ghd1959ghd1959 Member Posts: 24
    JUST PURCHASED A 07 SANTA FE AND LOVE IT BUT DO ALOT OF FOLKS USE A PROTECTOR ON THE FRONT END AND HOOD FOR ROCKS AND BUGS? JUST WANT TO KEEP THE FRONT END LOOKING NEW.ANY SUGGESTIONS??
  • Options
    I'm a huge believer in ClearBra. We have it on all three of our cars (including my new 2007 Santa Fe). I will never own another car without it, period. I had the entire front bumper, headlights, fog lamps, outside mirrors, and front portions (approximately 18") of the hood and front fenders covered. The total cost was $500.

While the info in your eBay link looks tempting, beware! A ClearBra installation is definitely NOT a do-it-yourself project. It takes a lot of training and experience to do the job properly. The quality of your end result is hugely dependent on the skill level of your installer. I'm fortunate to have found a great one and the quality of the installations on our cars shows it.

I highly recommend having the ClearBra installed A.S.A.P. after picking up your new car. Check their web site for installers in your area:

klik

If I can be of more help, just say the word.

- Mike
  • Options
    Incorrect. My 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD (U.S. version) definitely does not have a locking steering wheel.
  • Options
    gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    That is really weird ...my 07 Santa fe SE DOES HAVE a locking steering wheel just like every other auto I have purchased in the past (since the 60's or 70"s i believe.) As mentioned, with the key out it will lock if moved, and you must Jiggle it with the key in to unlock it. US Version also
  • Options
    Hmmmm....anyone else here have a locking steering wheel in their 2007 Santa Fe?
  • Options
    somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    nope - '07 limited awd - no locking steering wheel - tried with no key in....
  • Options
    I wonder how many inconsistencies there are. My SE is a Nov 2006 build...from the Alabama plant. Just went out to try it again to make sure I am not losing it...IT DEFINITELY LOCKS and the key releases it. (USA model)

Why would they lock SE and not the limited? To be honest...never liked that feature anyway...Might stop a 6 yr old but that's about it.
  • Options
    roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    My '07 limited awd has a locking steering wheel. It was built in November '06. What's the date on some of those without the lock?
  • Options
    My Limited AWD without the steering wheel lock was built late April / early May of 2007.
  • Options
    roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    I just looked in the owners manual; on page 2-5 there is a warning that says "The engine should never be turned off or the key removed from the ignition key cylinder while the car is in motion. The steering wheel is locked by removing the key."
    If yours doesn't lock, I think something is broken.
  • Options
    gllundgllund Member Posts: 29
    I just checked my Santa Fe and it does not lock. I thought all cars had locking steering wheel. Learn something new every day.
    Gord
  • Options
    Since some do and some do not...I think what we are seeing is a possible Hyundai screwup, which could wind up a big time recall. Suggest you call HyundaiUSA and your dealer service dept since at least some of ours do lock...it is NOT an option either.

If you are close to your dealer...go to the lot and ask to sit in a few SF's and try locks in them them!

You can also call the NTSA to find out if this is a requirement...I would bet it is! Just MHO
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Out of curiosity, how far are each of you turning your wheel either left or right after the key is removed? I have seen some vehicles over my driving lifetime that need over a 1/4 turn and nearly a 1/2 turn for the steering wheel lock to engage. It all depends on how many teeth/cogs are in the locking mechanism. Just a thought. ;)
  • Options
    Good thought...Mine is about 1/4 turn before locking...starting with the wheels straight ahead
  • Options
    raiganraigan Member Posts: 9
    This is such a knowledgeable forum and hoping you can help me. I want a 2007 SF Limited with Touring Package(I have children so the third row is a definite must). I have been quoted this price:

Limited, FWD
    Touring Package
    $23,780
    Out-the-door price $24,716.37 (including taxes, title, processing)

I really was hoping for an AWD but that's $2K more on the base price. Is the price I'm quoted on the Limited FWD with Touring a good one?

Is it worth spending the extra $2K on the AWD when I live in Northern Virginia and don't get much snow? Would the FWD be okay driving through a couple of inches? I don't want to regret not getting it, but don't want to waste money with something not really needed in my area.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
  • Options
    bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Even the gls locks, key out, turn it left or right and it will lock.

I can't see all this fuss over map lights, my big gripe is day time running lights, I want them.
  • Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    As others have said, most cars have locking steering wheels since the early '70s, except SAAB. Since a SAAB ignition switch is located between the two bucket seats, not on the steering column or dash, the locking mechanism locks the gear shift lever - in Park if it's an automatic, and in reverse if it's a stick.

The Santa Fe is supposed to have a locking steering wheel - this is most interesting.
  • Options
    slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Raigan, that looks like a reasonable price to me and I would buy it, equipment and your color choice will be harder to find in the coming weeks if you want a 2007 model. I live in northern Ohio where we receive a considerable amount of snow but the roads are well salted and plowed. I have never felt a need for AWD. If road conditions are not good I usually wait until they improve. If the extra cost is not a problem or you want peace of mind by all means get AWD, particularly if you travel roads that are not well maintained in your area when it snows.
  • Options
    edmac1edmac1 Member Posts: 36
    My feeling about AWD is that is useful in snowy climates (which doesn't apply to you) and has two drawbacks: slightly worse gas mileage and more mechanism which may require repair.
  • Options
    blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    to order a Limited w/ Infinity sound without having the DVD package? We rarely have passengers in our car for long trips and wouldn't really justify the expense of that feature. I REALLY want that 610 watt stero though :)
  • Options
    Check out the Hyundai Santa Fe: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion for recent deal posts.
  • Options
    "slightly worse gas mileage"

There is no difference in gas mileage. EPA rating for AWD is 19/24, same as FWD.
  • Options
    SEPT 19 '06 - AWD LIMITED - NO LOCKING STEERING WHEEL - hmmm - is this something that should be corrected?
  • Options
  • Options
    "There is no difference in gas mileage. EPA rating for AWD is 19/24, same as FWD."

Um, EPA rating and "real" mileage are generally two different things. The AWD versions weigh more. That fact alone will contribute to worse gas mileage for the AWD versions. How much worse is unknown. I suspect they are about equal highway, but the greater weight will impact mileage a little bit in town.

FWIW, I am averaging 18.2 mpg over 3,200 miles in my '07 Limited AWD with Touring.
  • Options
    there is a tsb for the bank 2 o2 sensor - is this the one they keep replacing? any aftermarket performance stuff done? what is the code they get when they diagnose?
  • Options
    "Is it possible to order a Limited w/ Infinity sound without having the DVD package? We rarely have passengers in our car for long trips and wouldn't really justify the expense of that feature. I REALLY want that 610 watt stero though."

Don't buy the Ultimate package. Just buy a Limited and have an aftermarket stereo and speakers installed. The SF uses a standard "Double DIN" size head unit (the part in the dash). For the same price as the "Ultimate" option package, you could get a LOT better head unit and speakers installed by a car stereo shop, or even by Best Buy or Circuit City. You can even get one that plays DVD's right on a 7" screen in your dash, if you like. You could even get in-dash navigation built into it (with something like the Pioneer AVIC-D3), and still spend no more than you would have for the "Ultimate" package from Hyundai.
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more. Take a look at postings in other forums regarding problems with the high end factory system.
    I have the AVIC-D3 and am glad I went that way.
  • Options
    I agree. As a direct result of info posted here, I avoided the Hyundai Infinity system when I bought my Limited AWD. Truth be told, the standard audio system sounds pretty good. After a month or so of ownership, though, I ungraded by having new Polk speakers and an external amplifier installed. (I kept the factory head unit.) This significantly improved the sound quality, although I'm not getting the low end that I'd be getting if I had a subwoofer. The problem with a sub is that I don't want to give up the cargo area space to accommodate a subwoofer enclosure and I'm not convinced that a sub that would fit in the little side panel where the optional factory one goes would make enough of a difference to matter. For now, I'll stick with what I have. I'm holding out on a nav system since I'm hoping that, if Hyundai offers a factory unit on the 2008 Santa Fe, it can be retrofitted to my 2007. We should know soon.
  • Options
    I agree that EPA and "real" mileage will vary, but you stated AWD got slightly worse mileage without any facts. Maybe that's your own personal experience. Apparently Hyundai and EPA disagree with you as they have rated the AWD and FWD mileage the same based on their test data. EPA ratings are common ground for comparing different models and makes. Apparently weight was not a factor and the ratings for both are the same whether you agree with the ratings or not. Of course your real mileage and everyone else's will vary based on personal driving style.

With my driving habits I'm averaging 22.05 mpg over the past 1900 miles with FWD. ;)
  • Options
    eggtarteggtart Member Posts: 7
    I have to agree with kdahlquist that any AWD vehicle is forcibly heavier than equivalent FWD and that this might affect mileage. http://www.hyundaicanada.com quotes higher fuel consumption for AWD.

With odometer at 11000km, my Santa Fe 3.3L GL FWD is nimble, comfortable ride in Canadian mtns, snow and summer. Have a personal preference for the gunmetal body colour, side-panel signal lights, pale front & white rear signal lights, darker interior styling, gearbox cell phone pocket, onboard computer and selection of manual transmission and various body styles that are available in Asian market. Also, would have liked middle seat to be shiftable as in Saturn Vue and its seat underspace could have been used for clever storage as in Mercedes A and B classes. However, most notably, would have loved to buy the peppy 253lb-ft (gasoline 3.3L only 226lb-ft!), >50mpg (guilt-free fun! -link title) Diesel Santa Fe CRDi http://www6.autonet.ca/Spotlight/TestDrives/story.cfm?story=/Spotlight/TestDrive- s/2007/05/04/4157303.html - hot buy in Australia, N Zealand, Asia and S Africa (unavailable in N Am :cry: ).

Nonetheless, reading some reports on SF gasoline efficiency, even i am impressed by the fuel economy i am measuring at mainly 110km/h driving: last weekend, 8.9L/100km (26.5mpg) and then yesterday, 35L/430km = 8.1L/100km (29mpg)!
  • Options
    raiganraigan Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to the replies on my FWD/AWD question. One other question after test driving a 2007 Limited, FWD with Touring tonight and I hope I'm asking in the right discussion area.

Did anyone notice a slight burning smell if you bought your car with less than 50 miles on it? The one I was looking at tonight only had 12 miles on it and I smelled a burning odor when I got out of the car after driving it both times.

The sales guy said it was due to some spray that Hyondai puts on brand new engines to preserve it in case it sits on the lot for awhile. I asked for another car and of course they don't have any more that I want in stock.

The service/parts manager came out to confirm that it's no harm and it's just some sort of spray that will wear off around 100 miles and it happens all the time. But you never know if they are all in cahoots just to get the car off their lot.

Anyone else notice a burning smell that wore off over time? If they say it happens with virtually every new Hyondai SF, I figured someone here could prove them right (or wrong).
  • Options
    ghd1959ghd1959 Member Posts: 24
    What are all the new 2007 santa fe drivers doing for rock chip protection? The front bumper looks like it can get hit on the highway with stones and debris????
  • Options
    ClearBra. It's some of the best money you'll ever spend on your car.

For more info, go to post # 2272 in this thread.
  • Options
    I think the smell is "normal." I had it on my minivan as stuff burned off (but on mine it was more on the exhaust system I think).

Occasionally you'll read about someone still experiencing the burning smell a couple thousand miles down the road and I think those cases involve real problems.
  • Options
    "I agree that EPA and "real" mileage will vary, but you stated AWD got slightly worse mileage without any facts."

Um, I did state facts, namely that the AWD weighs more than the FWD. All else being equal, a heavier vehicle gets worse gas mileage than a lighter one, for the simple reason that it takes more energy to accelerate the greater mass. The difference is negligible when cruising, where the greater weight means little more than tiny differences in driveline drag, but in acceleration it means a lot. And across the board, the AWD models weigh about 200 pounds more than FWD.

I also noted, as you did, that the EPA figures were the same -- for the 3.3L versions, anyway. The GLS indeed shows the expected difference between AWD and FWD mileage, with the FWD GLS rated at 21/26, and the AWD at 19/25.

The same effect (lower mileage with greater weight, especially around town) happens with options. Those of us with more options on our vehicles, like the Touring or Premium packages, can expect slightly lower mileage than a comparable SF without any options, because the options add weight. EPA tests, by the way, are done on test vehicles with no optional features. Also, carry extra weight in your vehicle will degrade around-town mileage, so a 90 pound girl driving my Santa Fe would observe better mileage than would my 300 pound cousin.

Unless Hyundai somehow figured out a way to suspend the laws of physics, the AWD vehicle will use more fuel than an otherwise identical FWD vehicle. The fact that the EPA ratings are the same tells us that the difference is probably small, which I already noted. It may well be, however, that the EPA test results were 19.483 mpg for the FWD, and 18.507 mpg for the AWD. Since EPA results are only reported to two digits, both would be rounded to 19 mpg. I don't know, but I do know for a fact that heavier vehicles get worse gas mileage than lighter ones.