Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• Options
    gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Excellent Rick ...

glad it worked out so easily for you....Mine was the same, but I got in very early in the program.....1 week for the parts and 45 min to install...still works perfectly as it should!
  • Options
    jake0624jake0624 Member Posts: 4
    where did you find information about Hyundai honoring the US warranty in Canada? We are buying one in the next two weeks and would like some reassurance that the US warranty will be honoured.
  • Options
    mystica_usamystica_usa Member Posts: 1
    We just got our 2007 Santa Fe. The first 2 nights no problems. Saturday night went to leave for work and no instrument panel lights. Couldn't figure it out. Today I played around and got the back on but don't know what I did. Anyway Hubby left for work this evening and no lights again. He took the suv anyway as well as the owners manual to see if he can figure it out. Any ideas on why they don't come on. When turning the little wheel it is very loose, this afternoon could feel that it was catching and doing the job. Is this an electrical problem?
  • Options
    maseacemaseace Member Posts: 32
    Most likely it's just the instrument light dimmer switch/relay, based on what you describe. The dealer will easily be able to replace this (hopefully they have one in stock for same-day service). I've had a few things replaced on mine under warranty with no problems. Good luck!
  • Options
    welfarebumwelfarebum Member Posts: 1
    The 2008 Santa Fe is already for sale here in Canada. I've got a Canadian Hyundai bulletin that claims that "Highway fuel economy for the (2008) 3.3L Santa Fe has improved to 8.4L/100km from 8.8L/100km FWD and 9.0L/100km AWD. This was caused by a change to the catalytic converter."

I am wondering if this only applies to the Canadian Santa Fe or if the US model also gets the different catalytic converter (or already has it in the 2007 model year). I am planning on buying a Santa Fe from the US in the next couple months and am wondering if I should wait for the 2008s in order to benefit from improved gas mileage.
  • Options
    vlad36vlad36 Member Posts: 8
    Although my 3.3 v6 2007 Santa Fe has an automatic transmission, it has the features of being able to shift using the + and - on the shifting column. The owner's manual recommends using this rather than "riding the breaks" down a hill. To what extent should this be used, on normal driving around town, or just down a steep grade hill on a highway? Is there a fine line between wearing the brakes and the transmission. Please advise. Thank you.
  • Options
    bills3bills3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi..I've got a Santa Fe 3.3L front wheel drive with 1500 miles on it. If I'm driving at 45 mph and then let off the gas and coast to a stop sign/light, it seems to be geared down between 40mph to 25mph. The vehicle really slows down.
    Then at 25mph it seems to coast again. Is this normal for this vehicle? I am taking it to the dealer in 2-3 weeks and going to report this. I just wondered if anyone else has the same symptoms........Thanks.........
  • Options
    mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    I would be interested in an answer as well. I am also planning on buying a 2008 model.
  • Options
    You shouldn't need it during normal driving in town (unless you live in SF). I have only used this when descending down a mountain slope, and I used 2nd and even 1st at times to maintain a slow enough speed. It won't harm the transmission, the computer will downshift for you even in manual mode and the rev limiter would kick in if you go too fast in a gear.
  • Options
    sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    I live in Northern Virginia and I often drive into the Shenandoah Valley.

I use the sportshift when I am going downhill and I will shift down to as low a gear as 3 in order to keep my speed down when I am descending into the valley.

It is the only time I usually use it.
  • Options
    Like you, I only use it for slowing when descending a steep hill (rerely at that). Otherwise, why bother, If you want manual, buy manual. I always thought of them as gimmicks with no real purpose, especiallly in a CUV like the SF!
  • Options
    neverthelessnevertheless Member Posts: 2
    It seems very strange to have a whirring noise just due to a tire rotation even if the tires were that much out of balance and/or uneven wear.

One way to see if it is due to the tire is to drive on a different surface and listen for a change in tire noise. If no change then it must be mechanical rather than uneven tires.

If you can isolate the side where the noise is coming, perhaps you should take the tire off , check that all is okay and remount. Check both sides of the tire to make certain that a bubble or something like that did not suddenly occur. Then see if anything changed.

Also, I do agree that 34 may be a bit high unless you usually carry heavier loads.

If nothing changed, then drop the pressure to suggested pressure on door label and see if that helps.

Other than that, since car should be under warranty, go back to dealer and let them go through a thorough recheck since they did the rotation.
  • Options
    phreddd3phreddd3 Member Posts: 7
    Could you explain how the Manual Shift works? I've read the manual and just don't understand. Can you just use it any time and any speed? How do you know what gear you're in when you just have a + & -? Any chance of Transmission damage??

Thanks! :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    The gear lights up in the speedo gauge just like it was in auto, so you know what gear you are in. I have not heard of any damage and the computer should keep it under control? again, I barely ever use it.

To use it, you just let up on the gas and push or pull the lever to the right and then up or down to actually shift. Hopefully someone who uses it more will have a better explanation.
  • Options
    jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    The Manual gear shift is all computer controlled - when needed for more acceleration/deceleration for hill driving, passing, or just a sport mode.

When in "D" you simply push the gear lever over to the right and it will stay in the middle of the shift gate.as the Gear lever doesn't move, it is spring loaded, so simply push it forward (+) to shift up 1,2,3,or down (-)thru 5,4,3,2, - and the computer will either shift gear up or down. The gear lever always returns to the center of the gate. You cannot over-rev. the engine as there is a rev. limiter on the gears.

I tried it by simply shifting it over at a light and trying it out to get used to it - practice shifting by lightly pushing the lever up and down the gears - when coming to a stop , if you are still in 2nd/3rd it automatically re-shifts down to the 1st gear again. just remember there is no clutch in manual mode!!!
  • Options
    phreddd3phreddd3 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks! I'll have to at least try it!
  • Options
    reemoereemoe Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2007 Santa Fe GLS, and everytime I get out of the vehicle and go to shut the door, I get a shock (quite strong) of static electricity! Does anyone else have this problem?

It does not happen with my wife, nor has it happened to me in other vehicles.
  • Options
    loungerlounger Member Posts: 32
    reemoe, you probably have cloth interior. You are building up static electricity. I live in Florida where it is usually too humid for this to happen. But when I am in a dry place and I don't want to get shocked, I put my hand on painted metal (like the door frame) as I get out. Then the shock happens between my shoe and the ground which is not painful, instead of between your hand and the door when you close the door. By the way, this static shock spark can cause a fuel fire and is why you are advised not to get into and out of the car while you are refueling.
  • Options
    drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    Both my wife and I have noticed this, also. We have the cloth interior, and we've always had cloth interiors, but for some reason the SF cloth always gives use a zap.
  • Options
    I live in Reno NV where the static elec is also VERY intense! It is so bad, I never buy a vehicle with Leather interior...well the Mini Cooper did have it, but it was just so good looking that I could not pass it up!....

I put some Downey fabric softener in a bottle and lightly spray the interior fabric. (ours is worse in the summer)Every few months but it does keep down the Static Electricity way down! I try NOT to let the solution get on anything except the uphololstry so there is no staining!
    Jeff
  • Options
    pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    All my Santa's zapped us but I was given a trick to stop it. When exiting the truck as you open the door make sure you are touching the metal part of the frame BEFORE sliding your butt off the seat. Simple. Works every time.
  • Options
    downydowny Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my new Santa Fe GL premium a week ago and I have been reading the messages about the map light/dome light fix. I asked the sales manager at the dealership about it and of course he didn't know anything about it. He did ask me though if this fix has been done on SFs with a sunroof. Has anyone had this done on a vehicle with a sunroof? I have to say that this forum is fantastic! I've learned so much and the positive reviews about the Santa Fe contributed to my decision to buy one. :)
  • Options
    Yes, I had it done on mine which has a sunroof. When you call Hyundai consumer affairs, they will get your VIN number to make sure they send your dealer the right kit for your car.

I love the map light fix, about the only negative thing about it is that if you have to drive with the tail gate partially open when carrying a large item, you can't turn OFF the map lights.
  • Options
    scottk2scottk2 Member Posts: 19
    I have a sunroof in my Santa Fe, and ordered the fix. I called my dealer's service dept yesterday and it's been delivered. I'm just waiting for a couple other parts (not related to the map light) to be delivered then I'll bring it in to have it all done.
  • Options
    Of course he/she did not know anything about the fix or even that there was a problem! Typical Hyundai/new auto response. THE INCONSISTENCY IS AMAZING! iF YOU HAVE TO, GO TO A SUPERVISOR at Hyundaiusa..

THIS IS NOT A TSB BUT SOME SORT OF FIELD REPAIR.

YES, there is a separate kit(s) for vehicles that do have sunroof, as well as one for each trim color! (Trust me, I am looking at my own vehicle......build date Oct 2007! It was delivered without the map lights coming on when a door was opened, but work perfectly now that the repair was done....Time to completion was about 45 minutes after Hyundaiusa got them the parts,,

Call HyundaiUSA and they will set it up for you. There is a different kit per color and if there is a sunroof.You may have to keep going thru reps until you find one that knows...they must have a big turnover.

Mine was ordered by HYUNDAIUSA and parts sent to the local dealer about APRIL 2007. If you look thru some of the posts...there are even kit/part numbers listed for certain vehicles. This is amazing that they still do not know about this...how many months later?
  • Options
    jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    call hyundai customer service 1 800-633-5151 ask for barbra at ext 54024 she will make sure you get the right part. make sure you know your color code. look at the drivers side door pillow you will see a lable on that lable you will see color interor write down the 2 letter code.she will also return your call when the part has been shiped to your dealer.had mine done it took about 1hr for the repair. hope this helps jim :)
  • Options
    mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    "...I am looking at my own vehicle......build date Oct 2007..."

You mean 2006, right, Jeff?

;)
  • Options
    Whoops mpuzach...You are correct...Build date Oct 2006!!!
    Thanks!
    Jeff
  • Options
    patches2patches2 Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased my first Hyundai on 10/31/07 and I'm very impressed with the quality of the vehicle. I've always owned a Honda but I don't think I'm going back. I got the SE model and it's SWEET. :D
  • Options
    Thanks jimsist for the information about how to arrange for the map light fix. Can I use this number even if I live in Canada? Also, did you have to pay for this fix? either for the part and/or the labour? Just wondering because I had my SF back to the dealer this past week and asked them to set the door locks to lock automatically which they did but charged me $18 labour to do it. From reading messages on this forum it sounds like the dealer should have offered to do this for free on delivery, not that $18 is a big deal but if it was part of the delivery package it should have been included.
  • Options
    roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    I had the map light fix done...it was free; parts and labor. Of course, the dealer didn't charge me for setting the door locks either...sounds like you've got a cheap dealer.
  • Options
    Don't take this to the bank, but I believe the CDN and USA companies each operate independently. In other words, if it was purchased in the USA you arrange the repair thru Hyundaiusa...if PURCHASED in Canada, , then you probably deal with Hyundai in Canada or maybe even directly with the dealer.

Somewhere in the forum you ,will find a few kit numbers posted by a few owners that had it done (like me)

It takes about 3 or 4 personnel on the phone, to get it right unless you get lucky!

This is not a TSB in the states, but some kind of field repair. All I know is it was done on time, neatly, and you would never know anything was done to it Remember the poor dealership had no idea what they were fixing. Hyundaiusa bought the parts, made the service appt and everything else involved with it. I dropped it off, sat for 45 minutes and picked it up PERIOD! ALL DONE AND WORKING! Funny, I alsom had my door locks done as well...again, NO CHARGE!

To make it short...the USA map light fix is handled by Hyundaiusa and they ordered all parts etc (by looking up my VIN number). (there are different kits depending on color and whether or not you have a sunroof..they also can set up an appt with your dealer if need be.

My 2007 SF was bought and delivered in Nevada ,so I used Hyundaiusa. they ordered the CORRECT color parts and other items, and set up everything needed with my local dealer AND EVEN GOT MY my confirmation. It seemed that not all the reps were aware of the situation!~!!!
    Two weeks later, the parts were delivered to the dealer and the kit was put in with no BS. (even though they had no idea that the fix was needed and arranged for. (went thru the same NON COMMUNICATION when In ordered the plug and play tow harness...)

THE CHARGES WERE PICKED UP BY HYUNDAIUSA! Kit consisted of new map light assembly, new dome light assembly and a couple of harnesses. Time to do mine was 45 minutes and it was the 1st bthey has even heard of.

Service level was perfect, no dirt and it worked correctly the 1st time out. I saw the kit and the lights were not cheap but exact replscements. Must admit, going i, I was a bit nervous, but they breally cam thry for mme!

Hope the Canadian procedure is the same and easy for you. IT SHOULD NOT COST YOU ANYTHING EITHER.

Since the times have changed, I am very happy to mhave it working since it gets dark pretty early now. My understanding is that someone screwed up on the line and a few thousand got thru without the lights working correctly. If the communication is as bad in Canada as it is there, be persistant...Mine was repaired last April and I understand that all dea;lers in the states still do not know about it!

Keep us posted and good luck....
  • Options
    Thanks for that info roudy1. I'm hoping this dealership is a good one even if they did charge me to set the door locks. I picked my SF on Halloween night (hope that's not a bad omen!) and the next morning as I was driving to work I noticed a chip in the windshield. I phoned the dealership right away and the manager immediately said they would fix it. When I took it in, he said they would replace the windshield no charge rather than patching it. No hassles or anything and they gave me a loaner SF while they replaced the windshield. I was very pleased with the service. This may be a stupid question but once you had the map light fix done, can you still turn the map light on while the car is running so that you can actually use it to read a map? I think the dome light has a switch that allows you to turn it on independent of the doors so I wonder if the map light works the same way. I haven't read the whole car manual yet so I'm not up to speed on how everything works!
  • Options
    Great info, thanks a lot gizzer777! I'm going to print off your message along with the other posted information so that I have it in front of me when I call Hyundai Canada. I'll make sure I have my vehicle info too. I'm wondering if they'll be less knowledgeable about this fix than Hyundai USA since more have probably been done in the US than in Canada. Guess I'll find out when I call. I'll let you know how I make out. I know my dealer doesn't know anything about this fix so I'll start with Hyundai Canada.
    I'm really impressed that your dealership did such an amazing job when they didn't know what they were doing! That is a fear that they mess up the vehicle doing the fix. I guess I won't worry about that until I find out if I can convince someone at Hyundai Canada that they should do this for me! :)
  • Options
    mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    In response to your question, yes, you can still turn on either / both front map light(s) with the pushbutton switch(es) after the update. Ironically, what you can't do is opt to have the lights stay off when opening either front door.
  • Options
    survivor93survivor93 Member Posts: 25
    :) I just traded in my 2003 Santa Fe lx 3.5l for a beautiful 2007 Santa Fe awd limited with xm radio.
    I have only one slight problem with it.
    I am getting a rattle coming from the right rear tail gate area. It sounds as if the license plate is rattling. I have tried every thing to correct the noise. I even put velcro on the body and license plate to secure the plate, but to no avail.
    Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas of correcting the problem?
  • Options
    roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    Have you checked to make sure the tools in the storage compartment are all secured?
  • Options
    hppd432hppd432 Member Posts: 6
    I changed my license tag cover from the manufacture to my own. It has helped but when you close the hatch back it still rattles some.
    Love my 07 Sante Fe though just drove over 1200 miles in one weekend and smiled the whole way. :-)
  • Options
    If you can't find it on your own, take it to the dealer. It will be a free warranty fix for the first 5 years. They even replaced my roof rack cross bars for free because the black tape over the bottom screws was starting to peeling off. They had no procedure for the tape so they gave me new bars that would cost $670 each.

I had a squeaky sound coming from the rear of my new Santa Fe. I thought it was the suspension, but I finally figured out that the spare tire was slightly loose, and it was dangling down and rubbing on the body. Just had to tighten the crank and it was gone!

I also had a creaking sound coming from the driver seat. It turned out to be slightly loose mounting bolts on the front two bolts. Tightened them up and it was gone (those have a very high torque!).

For the rear license plate, I put stick-on foam pieces under the corners and never have to hear it rattle when closing the hatch. Small stick-on rubber feet work well, too. If you use a frame, put some between the frame and the plate also.
  • Options
    lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    If I remember correctly from reading the owners manual or literature that came with it, there is only a one year warranty on squeaks and rattles.
  • Options
    :)Thank you all for your responses. It seems as though the rattle is audible from inside at the right rear only, not only when I close the hatch.
    I am so perplexed. Any other ideas would help.
  • Options
    ghd1959ghd1959 Member Posts: 24
    Still trying to get this map light fix but there is no barabra at ext 54024........I have been trying since July and no one knows a thing including the dealer who installed a replacement dome light for my wife which was a waste and unnecessary. Had nothing to do with the map lights.........
  • Options
    ghd1959ghd1959 Member Posts: 24
    Well, I spoke to Hyundai Usa again just a second ago who called my dealer and said they would call me again when the part is in, I just got off the phone with my dealer, who did speak with Hyundai USA, and he does actually knows about this Map light fix, which he said was recent with him. He said its not a dome or map light replacement but just a wire harness to wire in form the dome to the map light to turn the front on with the back with the doors open. Sounds right but there is only a harness and no light replacement I was told. He is oredering it and will call me....
  • Options
    Maybe they found a different way to make(fix) it, but I saw my kit in the box in April....I was at the dealer when they opened it and there was a small crowd since no one even knew it existed!

Inside was a NEW dome light+ map light and 1 or 2 harnesses...Interesting if he is correct.
  • Options
    :):D;):blush:I FOUND THE PROBLEM. THE LICENSE PLATE FRAME (AFTER MARKET) WAS RATTLING.
  • Options
    somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    barbara is probably fired - helped too many people get a free fix that wasn't a warranty or tsb issue.... ;)
  • Options
    ramapokidramapokid Member Posts: 5
    Hyundai 2007 Santa Fe's may have problems with map lights. The map lights do not turn on/off with the dome light when the vehicle doors are opened/closed. Hyundai has a kit to correct the problem. The Hyundai dealerships may not be aware of the problem or the kit to correct the problem
  • Options
    jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    Today I went to the local Hyundai dealer and drove a 2007 SF GLS 5 speed, and a Limited Auto (both FWD)

First was the GLS 5 speed. This is quite a value at $21,700 MSRP! Engine was almost silent, and the clutch and shift action was extremely precise. I have owned manual tranny VWs for a while, and I must say the smoothness of the shift mechanism and the clutch in the 5 speed SF is BETTER than that in the new Jetta 2.5. I was expecting the steering and handling to be sloppy but was shocked by the accuracy of the steering and the sharp handling. I'm not a fan of white vehicles, but the 5 speed SF is quite a looker in Arctic White! Both SFs were VERY quiet cruising at 70+ MPH. The 5 speed seemed a little low on power, though. It may be quicker in reality due to the hushed and slick drivetrain, and the fact that didn't want to wind out a vehicle with only 10 miles on the ODO.

The 3.3L engine in the Limited model is great..super smooth with gusty power and near silent operation. Auto tranny was efficeint and smooth, kicking down as appropriate when more power was needed driving in the hills of NE Pennsylvania.

Now the negatives... the ride could have been smoother. I experienced flutter and vibrations in both models on the highway. Seems like something easily corrected with a high speed wheel balance, but I'm concerned that this may be characteristic of the SF as I felt it in both GLS and Limited trim (16 and 18 in wheels).

The seats in both were borderline uncomfortable. I drive 40k miles per year and have become sensitive to the characteristics of truly comfortable seats..if this is a concern, the SF is not for you. The bottom seat cushion is too short, and the seat back is too hard. Felt like I was sitting ON the seats rather than IN them. Leather seats in Limited model were not any better. The heating element in the seats is too concentrated. I had a hot spot on the bottom cushion, and on on my back. Heated seats in VWs warm much more evenly. I'm 6'1" and weigh 190, and I felt as if the seats would have been more comfy if I were about 4 inches shorter.

The stereo system was the same in both vehicles (non-XM unit), and I found the sound quality was mediocre at best. I didn't have the opportunity to hear the Infinity sound system, too bad it can only be had as part of the $3200 Ultimate option package on the Limited model (DUH!)

Overall, the SF is a terriffic SUV. With a few improvements, it can be a total homerun.

Jeff
  • Options
    patches2patches2 Member Posts: 13
    I called Linda @ 54219 on11-13-07 and the part is being sent to my dealer before Thanksgiving. DON'T let try to tell it isn't covered by the warrenty. My dealer tried and HyundaiUSA set them straight.
  • Options
    My map lights were corrected in April thru HyundaiUSA (at my dealer) for FREE and HyundaiUSA ordered the kit and instructed the dealer. You are getting a bad story from the dealer!

There are many threads here about this and unless there has been a change....it is free and BTW: works perfectly! Ahhhh nice to see up front at night as the days got shorter :shades: