Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Metros were Suzukis, and had a blip in demand back around 2008 when gas prices popped.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Admittedly though, one thing that makes them look bad is that newer cars have tighter, more even gaps than your typical car of 20 or so years ago.

I noticed a maker by the name of Honda paid attention to things like assembly quality, specifications of quality, such as gap tolerance 20 years ago.

Was funny noticing the massive panel gaps in the '08 Equionox the other day.
    I compared it to a recent model Malibu, which had very tight gaps (welcome to the modern era GM!). How's that for balance.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Very good point; have to give GM credit for at least reacting quickly in this case and doing what is practical in a short time period.

Of course, GM is just copying Honda and doing what they did with the '12 Civic with the Malibu. ;)

Check out the '13 Civic.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    and was one of the biggest successes in automotive history, and why, 20 years later, they hit upon a new category of vehicles for the domestic market with the Chrysler minivan, a segment in which Chrysler still leads.

Biggest success and being bailed out from bankruptcy twice in recent history don't go together in my book.

Chrysler still leads AFTER being bailed out from bankruptcy twice..... would make your sentence more factual.
  • Options
    (the Astra and Sky were too-little, too-late, IMO).

I think both were failures. I looked carefully at the AStra since I like those types of cars, and it just wasn't competitive. Perhaps if it had been priced 30% less.....
  • Options
    davenyc68davenyc68 Member Posts: 3
    This is a very sad state of affairs. Cadillac stopped making the Full Size American Luxury Car that has a V8.

The last Full Size Caddy was the 2011 DTS (Deville Touring Sadan). Now they only make these cheezy small euro looking sports trash, i.e CTS, XTS, ATS, they may say Cadillac. But, they are not Caddies, too small and they look like hell!

GM must be out of their minds to take the Deville/DTS off their lineup. The DTS was their flagship car. Now the American Dream is gone. Even Lincoln took the Towncar off their lineup.

I belong to several large Cadillac forums and 1000's upon 1000's of Caddy lovers are sick and heartbroken over the end of Cadillac as we once knew it. When you saw a Caddy driving down the street, you could see it was a Caddy a mile away. All these new cars that Cadillac is making look like every other car. How can a limo be made and feel roomy if it's an XTS, etc;?

I have an 01' Deville that I try to keep in the best condition possible, I even put a brand new tranny into it. There is nothing left that is large, plush, powerful and comfortable like a Deville...NOTHING!

So, when I'm forced to get a "new" Caddy, it will be a 2011 DTS. But after that, then what? GM made a huge mistake taking the DTS off their lineup. So, that's it folks, Cadillac threw in the towel and are just making cars, not CADDIES.

So, take good care of your DTS/Deville. Everything else they make is garbage, I'm sure millions will agree. If GM did some real research, they would find they made a horrible mistake by removing the Deville.

:mad: :cry: :mad: :cry:
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I would say that the sales demand of the DTS no longer warranted its manufacture.

Looks like the DTS suffered the same fate as the Solstice/Sky... Too much much costs for too few sales...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_DTS
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    Wow, I didn't realize sales of the DTS were THAT low!

I always considered the DTS as the type of car a Cadillac should be...big, comfy, roomy, and luxurious. And at one point, that type of car was Cadillac's volume seller, as cars like the Eldorado and Seville were more niche products....and priced higher than the old DeVille!

But, it looks like few buyers really want that type of car anymore. Kind of a shame, as I'm one of those few. But, I can still find what I want in a Charger or 300. Unless those are slated for the chopping block as well in the near future!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Geo made in the US was better than the Geo made in Canada, FWIW.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    The DTS was their flagship car. Now the American Dream is gone. Even Lincoln took the Towncar off their lineup.

Most of the buyers of those cars have already lived the "American Dream".

I don't know if we'll see another domestic v8 Luxury car. They'll likely be force fed 6 cylinders or some type of hybrid drive.

The European luxury makers have the ability to sell their expensive v8 vehicles all over the world. Lincoln and Cadillac currently don't have the cachet to pull that off. Heck, they can't even outsell them here in the states.

Plus no matter what a bunch of Cadillac enthusiasts say on a forum or owners club, there simply isn't enough of them or at least enough that would be willing to pay the the amount necessary GM would have to charge for a proper v8 luxury sedan.

I think GM answered the v8 question when they stopped development on the Northstar successor. Plus I don't think the OHV small blocks have the refinement necessary for an an expensive luxury car.
  • Options
    Did you guys see "The Beast" during the inauguration?

Didn't that start life as a DTS?
  • Options
    But, I can still find what I want in a Charger or 300. Unless those are slated for the chopping block as well in the near future!

I think those could be safe for a while as the hemi v8 is needed for the trucks. But when the 300 is redesigned the v8 certainly could be axed depending on FE standards etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

They are styled like a DTS, but I think they are built on some type of truck chassis. Heck it is just as tall as the 3/4 ton Suburban driving along side it.
  • Options
    xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    And I think it's been well established on this forum and everyone has already agree that the Minivan is a dead concept that didn't last and there's no room in the market for more than the 2 good one's that already exist with Honda and Toyota (and hence why everyone's exited the short-lived market for it).

Minivan is not dead. Chrysler/Dodge, Honda, Toyota rule in this segment. Mini-vans are far more practical, functional and efficient than are almost any SUV, big or small, from any manufacturer.

GM and Ford failed miserably with their minivan offerings. GM had the poorly designed dustbuster minivans and then later the failed Chevrolet Uplander.

Chrysler invented the minivan concept just as Ford invented the pony car concept with their Mustang.
  • Options
    Check out this Secret Service GMC Suburban.

Slightly modified. FFWD to 0:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGGPeLRhwss

Awesome! :shades:
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I noticed a maker by the name of Honda paid attention to things like assembly quality, specifications of quality, such as gap tolerance 20 years ago.

That was at least 29 years ago such as the 84 Honda Prelude I owned. Before buying this car, checked out and drove offerings in same size, weight, engine from GM and others. The Honda was superior in every attribute - engine, smooth shifting manual trans, door/panel fit, quality of paint, interior, handling, brakes, steering, etc. As some would say today, I was "blown away". Test drove it by myself and was so excited that next day took my wife back for her to test drive and she too was "blown away". At the time, my wife and I owned a Chevrolet, Pontiac and VW. 84 Honda was first ever Japanese car by us.

Car magazines back in 1984 and earlier were extolling the virtues of Japanese brands over American and saying that Japanese had surpassed the Americans. Being mainly a GM guy, I became a believer when I looked at and tested the 84 Honda and compared to GM makes and others that I looked at. GM and Detroit slipped well behind the Japanese in the 80's and have been playing catch-up ever since.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The Metros were Suzukis, and had a blip in demand back around 2008 when gas prices popped.

I didn't know they were still making Metros in 2008.

:)
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Did you guys see "The Beast" during the inauguration?

Underneath it's a GM Kodiak/Top Kick medium duty truck frame and diesel engine. The body has the general styling cues of the DTS but it's designed to fit the truck frame. According to wiki, it uses Escalade headlights and door handles and STS tail lights.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Still have my 1989 Cadillac Brougham! Come January 28th, I will have it 24 years! My 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance looks like it'll be with me for a long, long time as well.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I saw a documentary about "The Beast" on television last month. That vehicle can survive a bomb placed under it and the doors and glass can stop a .50 caliber bullet.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I didn't know they were still making Metros in 2008.

I think a lot of guys with old Metros sitting around in their back 40 were surprised at how much they were able to sell them for. Even now the numbers seem a bit crazy - here's one in the UP. $1,000 for a '97 and it needs work. Well, maybe that's not such a bad price; I wouldn't part with my '97 Outback for twice TMV.
  • Options
    http://www.chevrolet.com/new2014silverado/#/welcome

Site must be busy because it is ssssloooow.
  • Options
    bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    That's because the market wants "cheezy small euro looking sports trash" and doesn't want Full Size American Land Yacht Couches On Wheels.
  • Options
    keystonecarfankeystonecarfan Member Posts: 181
    edited January 2013
    To add even more facts, the second Chrysler bailout was the direct result of Daimler's mismanagement. As you will recall, Daimler owned and operated Chrysler from 1998 until the early 2000s, and was in complete control of the company.

The company had to sell Chrysler to a private equity firm, as it was an utter failure at understanding how to successfully compete in the American mass market.
  • Options
    bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    it's actually a heavily modified GMC Topkick medium-duty truck.

I'm not sure they make THAT anymore either. :shades:
  • Options
    The company had to sell Chrysler to a private equity firm, as it was an utter failure at understanding how to successfully compete in the American mass market.

Cerberus appears to have understood how to compete in the American mass market even less than MB.
  • Options
    Marchionne turned them around, understanding it's about the product.

Look how much better the interiors and engines are now.

They sell better.

For us, that's a big Duh. For bean counters not so much.
  • Options
    A pretty good article on Cerberus Capital and its Chrysler experience...

http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/01/bankruptcy-cerberus-chrysler-business-autos-cer- berus.html
  • Options
    Dan Quayle ... nah, too easy. :D

Cerberus was unwilling to put more money into the company

And we noticed.
  • Options
    Dan Quayle ... nah, too easy.

Quayle is an intellectual giant compared to the moron now in the vp position.
  • Options
    Oh, I liked the comment "We are not naive.".
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    "General Motors Co.'s all-new 2013 Buick Encore — which the automaker expects will win young professionals and empty-nesters as customers — has begun shipping to U.S. dealers.

The company began shipments of the luxury small crossover last week to about 2,200 U.S. Buick dealers, who sold eight in the first weekend. The vehicle is built only in South Korea and inventory is expected to be tight."

'13 Buick Encore expected to attract young buyers, empty nesters (Detroit News)

• Options
    Not sure how it will compete with a 240hp (conservatively rated) BMW with 138hp.

I still wonder if this would have been better off as a Chevy, at a lower price.

It may even sell well, but will they be incremental sales, or just steal a few more from the Regal?
  • Options
    keystonecarfankeystonecarfan Member Posts: 181
    edited January 2013
    Cerberus wasn't an automobile company, unlike Daimler-Benz. We expect more from Daimler-Benz. After all, isn't Daimler one of those perfect German automobile companies that has never, ever, made a single mistake or built one lemon?

And it wasn't as though Daimler sold Cerberus a healthy, thriving company. Daimler had already run Chrysler into the ground.
  • Options
    And it wasn't as though Daimler sold Cerberus a healthy, thriving company. Daimler had already run Chrysler into the ground.

The Dodge Neon, Stratus, and Cirrus had more to do with running Chrysler into the ground than Daimler.

Daimler didn't buy a healthy thriving company; they were on the verge of a collapse, financial sector breakdown or not!

And yes, Daimler built a ton of lemons, mostly in the years of involvement with Chrysler.

Remember, the Neon, Stratus, and Cirrus made a lot of money for Chrysler because owners are forced to buy a lot of replacement MOPAR parts when they breakdown every 3 months. But after they get fed up with it, and get rid of it, there are no more Chrysler sales in those peoples futures.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    edited January 2013
    DB was just looking to get revenge for 1945. Looks like they got some :shades:

And yeah, the company wasn't exactly Toyota-strong before the buyout. Remember the Simpsons episode when the Germans buy Mr. Burns' poorly maintained power plant? It was kind of like that. And some good did come of it - the 300.
  • Options
    I think you're giving MB far too much credit on running Chrysler into the ground.

Seems pretty clear that, like the other 2 domestics, they were already suffering from "domestic-itus" well before the MB union, or the problems all 3 domestics suffered simultaneously has to be one of history's most bizarre coincidences.
  • Options
    direct result of Daimler's mismanagement.

And how do you manage a walking zombie.... exactly?

I think Daimler and Cerebus got infected with the zombie plague by Chrysler, not the other way around.
  • Options
    Actually the issue Daimler had was zero synergy. Like oil and water, the products just didn't mesh.

There were almost no savings, besides re-using some old M-B tech on some Chryslers (Crossfire, 300C suspension, etc).

And recylcing old tech is not exactly cheap or effective.
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I would recommend the book "Taken for a Ride", which details the Chrysler / Daimler merger in pretty good detail.

Chrysler was a pretty healthy company when Daimler came along. Bob Eaton thought that consolidation in the auto industry was going to happen, so he sought out Daimler as a partner.

Was sold as a 'merger of equals', but was really a takeover by Daimler. Lots of culture clash and supervisory issues (remember, MB was but one unit of Daimler at the time).

It was thought by both companies that the synergy was there. Chrysler had almost zero int'l presence. MB didn't do trucks, SUV's or mini-vans.
  • Options
    There were almost no savings, besides re-using some old M-B tech on some Chryslers (Crossfire, 300C suspension, etc).

And some of that stuff ended up hurting Chrysler, because incorporating the M-B tech into the Chrysler designs delayed the introduction of some of these new models.

For instance, the original plan was to replace the Intrepid, Concorde, and 300M with 2003 models. They were going to offer FWD, RWD, or AWD, and choice of 6-cyl and V-8 power. Dodge and Chrysler were going to each offer two models. One was going to be a larger, more upright traditional sedan, and the other, while still a sedan, would be a bit smaller and more low-slung.

Well, we did get the choice of V-6 or V-8 power. But we didn't get it until the spring of 2004, and then, only as the Chrysler 300 and C. It sold well at first, but remember, initially it had to fill the shoes of the old Intrepid, Concorde, AND 300M. And Dodge had nothing to offer. We also didn't get the AWD until later. And we didn't get the choice of upright or low-slung.

Even before that, they started cutting corners. For example, one of my friends had a 2002 Intrepid SE as a loaner, when his 2001.5 Passat had to go in the shop. Compared to my 2000 Intrepid (which was just a base model; they didn't start calling it SE until 2001), the loaner was missing something like 5 or 6 things, all in the name of cost cutting. I forget what all they were, but they included the rear sway bar, the tint on the windshield, the cloth and carpet on the door panels, a cheaper, built-in cupholder (the one on my 2000 retracted), and probably one or two other things.

Similarly, when the 2001 Stratus/Sebring came out, they seemed like they were cheapened, compared to the old Stratus/Cirrus/Breeze.
  • Options
    Similarly, when the 2001 Stratus/Sebring came out, they seemed like they were cheapened, compared to the old Stratus/Cirrus/Breeze.

Hasn't that been one of the main complaints by car mags/reviewers/analysts over (at least) the last decade of Chrysler cars in general, up to the bailout?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    A good link from when Cerberus was taking over...

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/53007/car_focus/how_daimler_chrysler- - - - _merger_failed.html

From the article...

"You had two companies from different countries with different languages and different styles come together yet there were no synergies. It was simply an exercise in empire-building by Juergen Schrempp," said Dave Healy, an analyst with Burnham Securities, referring to the then-Daimler-Benz chairman and why the merger failed. "Basically Daimler has now paid Cerberus to take Chrysler off its hands," Healy added.

Originally, the plan was for Chrysler to use Daimler parts, components and even vehicle architecture to sharply reduce the cost to produce future vehicles. But problems surfaced when Daimler's Mercedes-Benz luxury division, whose components Chrysler would use, was averse to contribute to Chrysler. Eventually, all Chrysler got were some steering and suspension components, a transmission and a diesel engine and few packages.

In return, Daimler had hoped that Chrysler would radically raise its standing in the North American auto market. But due to tough competition from Asian automakers, Chrysler fell short. Billed as a "merger of equals," the $36 billion deal turned out to be anything but, analysts said. Shortly, control of the combined company fell to Daimler Chairman Schrempp.

"Eaton panicked," Lee Iacocca, said. "We were making $1 billion a quarter and had $12 billion in cash, and while he said it was a merger of equals, he sold Chrysler to Daimler-Benz, when we should have bought them." And Daimler was an all-too-willing, if uninformed, partner, analysts said. The company underrated the competitive forces that would invade the North American car market and take market share from the domestic carmakers.

Chrysler sales slipped, prompting the German automaker to dispatch Zetsche to Detroit in 2000 to turn Chrysler around. Having returned Chrysler to profitability by the time he went back to head Daimler in 2006, Zetsche said last Monday that the sale "was a difficult task personally."

With Zetsche at the helm, Chrysler reported a $1.8 billion gain in 2005. But like other Detroit automakers, the company misread the market. With a heavy reliance on trucks and SUVs, skyrocketing fuel prices quickly dampened sales and Chrysler's profit melted into a $1.47 billion loss last year, culminating in Monday's announcement.

That sounds a lot like "domestic-itus" to me...
  • Options
    Almost forgot the Dodge Sprinter.
  • Options
    Hasn't that been one of the main complaints by car mags/reviewers/analysts over (at least) the last decade of Chrysler cars in general, up to the bailout?

Yeah, I think it has. FWIW, I remember checking out a 300 when they first came out. Now this was just a base model with the 2.7, so it was nothing fancy. Still, compared to my 2000 Intrepid, or even my buddy's 2002 loaner, it was a big step down. Sure, it looked impressive, at a quick glance, with its bulked-up body lines and square-jawed front-end. But there was plastic galore on the inside. The seats looked like they were covered in some kind of lawn chair fabric, and the carpet was so cheap that they would've been better off just throwing in a rubber mat!

This thing, IMO, did NOT deserve the right to wear the Chrysler nameplate. Plymouth, perhaps...Savoy or Fury I at best! :P
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2013
    OMG, the first 300 and Charger were disgraceful interior-wise. You summed it up perfectly. But they sure were lookers on the outside and the marketing for the 300 was perfect. Figure the only real competiton for it was the "well done" Grand Marquis and CV and those didn't come with AWD so Daimler pretty much knew they had the market to themselves.

The new twins are greatly improved IMO, a complete 180 as far as materials and build goes.

Oh, count me as one of the ones who was seriously disappointed when the first 300 showed up, because I was, and still am a very big fan of the 300M that Chrysler was offering in the late 90's/early 2k's. That car had presence and the interior was really nice for it's period. Visibility with the raised rear was really my only complaint, but that car still looks good today IMO.

• Options
    Visibility with the raised rear was really my only complaint, but that car still looks good today IMO.

I agree...I couldn't parallel-park my old Intrepid to save my life! In addition to that high rump, it also had a low hood that, even at 6'3", I couldn't see unless I leaned really far forward. It was also the first car I owned with thick roof pillars....they were probably pretty normal by 2000, but my previous car was a 1989 Gran Fury, which could be traced back to the '76 Volare!

When my Intrepid got totaled 3 years ago, my first impulse was to go out and buy another, or maybe a 300M or Concorde. But then I found a 2000 Bonneville for sale, which got me interested in GM's big FWD cars, but it was sold by the time I called about it. But then, I found my 2000 Park Ave Ultra, a little-old-lady owned car with only 56,000 miles on it, and it just seemed too good to pass up.
  • Options
    Saw Motorweek on Velocity tonight. A comparo of mid-size sedans. They said that Malibu was excluded because it was priced too high.

Results: 1 - Accord, 2- Fusion, 3- Kia Optima, 4 - Camry. Have to go to web site to see who finished 5 and 6. Altima, Sonata.