Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• monkey322monkey322 Member Posts: 5
    In my opinion it is far too complicated a system for mass production and that is what is happening - standard deviations from production tolerances are enough to cause vehicles to have these issues. Active engine mounts, anti noise cancellation in the radio system, an engine going from a V6 to a V4 to in line 3 is BOUND to have serious vibration issues which if any one, let alone more than one, of these "systems" designed to counter the engine issues, is not working properly, let alone half shaft and or tire imbalances in the front drive and steering wheels (this would probably not be so noticeable an issue if, as with GM cars so equipped, it was driving the rear wheels) you will have the unpleasant issues others here have reported. All I can say is hopefully some of you will experience what I read someone else did on this forum - their car sort of cured itself at about 3000 miles. I believe I recall reading that that owner too had had similar issues - surging, "hunting" etc. that all sort of smoothed out. The thinking there was, and it makes sense to me too, was that the active engine mounts "broke in" and began doing what they were supposed to do properly.
    Here's hoping you all experience the same.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'd like to note that I haven't read of any problems of this sort in the Odyssey van with 6-4-3 VCM. Doesn't mean they don't exist, its just a bit of anecdotal evidence to chew on.
    I don't know why not but again - like the GM vehicles, although not RWD, the Odyssey is a much heavier vehicle - perhaps that compensates for it, and until now its use in the Odyssey was limited to a particular model trim level, again, reducing the potential number of aberrations from a much smaller population.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Just as the V6 Accord is a relatively small fraction of Accord sales (it used to be something like 25% of Accords were V6). The VCM Odyssey still is only available on EX-L and Touring models, so the same sort-of thing applies.
    Yes - except the weight issue.
  • robotaz2robotaz2 Member Posts: 7
    I appreciate the level-headed input. I have not considered that the car may need to break in to get rid of the annoying vibrations and hums. I will keep hoping. My final comment will be how disappointed I am that Honda does make this system with the ability to disable it. The viability, purpose, need, etc. of the system can be debated all day long. What is stupid, idiotically stupid, and beyond comprehension to me is why they did not make this system so that it can be defeated. I suppose that would admit defeat and based on the way Japanese Toyota employees in my neighborhood act, that may be something they are unable to grasp. I don't mean that disrespectfully. These guys are very cocky and I would expect them to be insanely proud of their products. Anyway, I'll just hope it gets better.
    I truly hope for your sake that it does too. I have driven them with and without the annoying behavior - sorry you were one of the unlucky ones. Another poster here with serious problems seemed to narrow it down to cars with navigation versus those without. Nothing scientific there - and makes no sense at all. The break in thing seemed to make some sense, and if yours continues to cause you problems I would insist on new engine mounts as a first step toward a solution.

All that said, I would certainly get it on record at the dealership about your displeasure and protect any lemon law rights you might have in your state. I read too here where someone from Georgia succeeded in getting Honda to have to buy back the car there. It is in an earlier post in this forum.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I read too here where someone from Georgia succeeded in getting Honda to have to buy back the car there. It is in an earlier post in this forum.

The car that was supposedly bought back in Georgia was a 4 cylinder with the headlight dimming issue. Not a VCM Accord.
  • hondaacc09hondaacc09 Member Posts: 3
    I went to the dealer on Saturday, and I went for a ride with one of their mechanics. During the 6 miles testing, it surged twice, but he said he doesn't feel it.
    They asked me to leave the car to run the computer diagnostic test. They called me back in the evening and told me the test doesn't give any errors, and the surgings that I felt are "normal VCM operation".
    I guess I have to live with it. $30,000 mistake!!
    Ahhhh... that's right. My mistake. :shades:
  • brian83brian83 Member Posts: 6
    I too have the same problems with my 2008 V6 Honda Accord 4000 kms- Vibrations, Humming Noise, rattling middle console and glove box, brakes squealing and when I locked the car with the key fob, all four windows opened six inches and sun roof opened three inches. What I can't understand is why no one has tried to start a class action suit against Honda America in the United States.
  • idn2008idn2008 Member Posts: 6
    Hahaha... This is a sarcasm, isn't it? But I agree with you: Why haven't we heard of any lawsuit if the problems are so widespread.
  • anthonyyanthonyy Member Posts: 13
    I agree with you, We should file a class action suit against Honda Motor America. I hope some lawyer will organize this law suit. I am ready to join the law suit, But I am not able to do it alone.

Hope this messgae will encourage people to come forward and joint together to do something .
  • brian83brian83 Member Posts: 6
    Now that I got someone's attention, call the media (ie. new paper) and ask them to help with directing you to the proper lawyer to ask about how do you start proceedings of a class action suit. Also ask them to print a story on all of us poor suckers with the honda V6 accord.
    Don't forget to print your results back on the forum. Every one has to get involed.
    Ihave already started to contact the media myself and waiting for directions. I'm from Canada and it's alot harder to get a class action suit started up here.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I need to mention that we can't use the Forums to solicit participation in class action suits. If someone wants to use their CarSpace page to post relevant information, though, that's acceptable.

Hope things work out.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    "....I'm from Canada and it's alot harder to get a class action suit started up here..."

I hope that means that when you get one going then you are the one who would actually get something out of it not the lawyers, unlike what usually happens in the USA!

But seriously, I don't think any decent attorney would want to spend their time on this one hoping for a grand reward at the end, mainly due to the fact that the number of affected V6's can nit be that high, considering they are a small % of V6's sold that are a small % of Accords sold anyhow.
  • goltr_mangoltr_man Member Posts: 7
    Sir you have hit the nail on the head, Honda knows it has a design defect and is denying it. We as owners need to fill Honda's complaint department with emails like I have read here instead of on sights like this. If each one of us takes our email complaint from this sight and copies it onto Honda's customer service email sight than it will be in the hands of the company who has the problem. There must be thousands of complaints about this issue all over the internet but they should be in the lap of Honda. At some point they will be forced to do a program update to correct this issue. It is very important to have sights like these to see if the problems we are having are the same as others have but the followup must be to get our complaints in Honda's hands. I for one think Hondas are great cars and I like almost everything about my new Accord but this problem bothers me so much that on trips I take our CRV and leave the Accord home. Had I known up front I would have bought the four cylinder! Thank You
  • abeebabeeb Member Posts: 25
    I am one of the V6 owners who has had only slight issues with the "surging" problem that has been described often on this forum. I have also felt some improvement over the 12 months that I have now owned the car. However, today driving to work, it seemed to be more pronounced again and the surging feeling reminded me of at least a couple of references made here regarding the possibility that the torque converter is disengaging and engaging. It should be noted that this surging is not necessarily linked to the ECO light turning off and on, but appears to occur somewhat randomly.

I really feel the torque converter might be the actual feeling experienced. Has anyone given this theory any more thought or had this checked out? Is anyone aware of adjustments that can be made specifically to the operation of the torque converter that might rectify at least the surging feeling?
    I agreed with you 100 % . But I am not very good with typing and computer. So can you send all the messages to Honda Motor ?

Thank you
    Anthony
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Not knowing what part of the country your from, I'm curious if your increases in noticeable VCM activity might be related to the ambient temperature. I've had less noticeable occurrences of VCM activity over the last 4-5 months where the temperature has usually been above 50 degrees. Now that the NE temperature has been in the 20's and 30's(early AM mostly) the VCM activity seems more pronounced.
  • abeebabeeb Member Posts: 25
    I live in Saskatchewan in Canada, so yes, the temperatures are definitely lower now - around 30 deg F right now - and I think you're right that there might be a relation between temperature and the surging activity.

I've only had my car in twice (just for oil changes) since I've owned it so I haven't had Honda check into this issue at all, but I will suggest the torque converter theory to them next time. Again, if anyone else out there has more thoughts on this, please respond.

(By the way, you'll note that I said the only two times I've had the car in for service were for regular oil changes. In this respect, my high expectations on the reliability of the car are clearly met!)
    Agree on the reliability aspect as mine is @ 14,600 miles and showing 20% oil life and the first change was done @ 7,600 miles, any other issues seem to have remedied themselves.
  • elliott2elliott2 Member Posts: 64
    While the fit and finish on this car is attractive, the quality is not up to Honda's past vehicles. I have the misfortune of having the 2008 V6. Why Honda would screw up what was a velvet smooth engine for an engine that by design cannot help but vibrate (otherwise there wouldn't be a need for the liquid filled, computer controlled engine mounts and active noise cancellation system). It's clear that Honda is aware of the problem as they decided to not bring the engine over to the Acura TL.
    While in agreement that this six lacks the smoothness & finesse of the previous Accord six, many current sixes have lost that smoothness as they've grown in displacement. This particular six even more so as the devices engineered to make it's variable displacement as transparent as possible fail to achieve that goal on some occasions. But the 2 cars are marketed to different segments and the lack of torque or narrow torque band on the VCM six would be a bad fit for the TL, which is marketed as a sport sedan not a family sedan where the additional fuel economy appeals to that buyer. The TL does have active noise cancellation. Despite it's shortcomings, I'm more pleased than displeased with my 08 EX-L V6 and feel that it's about as good as it gets for the 25K to 28K you pay. If they made perfect cars in this price range why would anyone pay more. Factor in it's reliability and resale values and for under 30K it's a pretty sweet ride.
    I wish I could say the same about my 08 EX-LNAV V6. It's nowhere near perfection and is downright annoying between the vibration and the surging on the highway. Even at speeds as low as 25 mph, the car vibrates when the engine is running on a lower number of cylinders. As far as the reliability and resale values, let's hope you're right. Not so sure this particular year model year will retain its resale value, particularly since, according to Consumer Reports, the Accord has been elbowed out of the top echelon by other more compelling cars in the same price range.
    I have owned my 2009 V6 Accord for several months and 2000 miles and the VCM system makes the car seems schizophrenic. With or without the cruise being on the engine can't decide whether it wants to be a 6, 4, 3 cylinder and each time it changes you can feel the lag or surge. I have call the Honda Customer Care number 800-999-1009 filed a complaint. I have owned seven Honda’s over the years and as much as I like all the rest of this car I leave it home on long drives and that our CRV. I have read many complaints on many different websites and I suggest to all of you, please take your complaint up with Honda where if enough of us complain then maybe they will fix the issue. To me this can be corrected by a computer upgrade. The chips on the computer board can be alter if need be. When enough of us make it clear to Honda that this is not expectable than maybe we will see action! To spend $30K and not enjoy the car is very sad and for sure will make me think outside of Honda next time. I am very honest with anyone who asks me about the Accord. Okay enough said, please call the number above!
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I am a long time Honda Acura owner(many since 1981). I am looking to replace our 05 TL with an Accord and have been checking out these boards. I also own an 07 CRV.
    I asked a friend who has an 08 V6 Accord how she likes it and if there was any problems. She said she loves it except for the surging that occurs from time to time. It's her first Honda and she just racks it up to that's the way the car is.

We have decided that if we get the 09 Accord it will be a 4 cylinder.

Even though the number of buyers complaining may not make up a large group, there obviously is something wrong.

BTW, in the NY Times Sunday it said there was a TSB on the power steering pump on 07 CRV's. If yours is an 07, be aware of it.
    I just got off the phone with a Honda customer service rep. and although he was very nice and concerned that I wasn't happy with my V6 Accord he did admit that Honda is not currently doing anything about it. I told him that as much as I love Honda's and like everything else about the car I am very upset to have paid $30K and don't want to drive it. My CRV is an 08 and I think it is great. I told him I would do everything in my power using the internet to get upset Accord owners to file their complaint with Honda. He agreed that if enough complaints come in then Honda with certainly try to fix this issue. Thanks for your reply and if you go 4 cylinder I am sure you will love the car. Most guys would swap out a 4 for an 8 but maybe I should go the other way! Ha. Thanks again.
  • jimduncanjimduncan Member Posts: 2
    I plan to buy in the next week and had narrowed my choices to 3 cars, one of which was the Accord V6. After reading this forum, I am no longer considering the Accord. I know it doesn't help those who are already having problems, but it stopped me from making a mistake and maybe Honda will pay more attention if buyers like myself start staying away because of this problem.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    OK so what else was in the running and what did you end up with? Did you actually drive the Accord for yourself, and if so, what were your impressions?

After reading about these problems I don't think I would opt for the Accord v6 either.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• jimduncanjimduncan Member Posts: 2
    Houdini, I did drive the '09 V6. The Eco light comes on & off a lot, both on the freeway and in city driving, at least for my driving style. I occasionally felt a slight bump when it went on/off - I would describe it as being similar to a smooth 4-5 upshift. If I were 100% sure that is all it would ever do, I'd be fine with it. But the problems described here are too much for me to ignore. I'd kick myself if I got one & had these problems later.

Other cars considered are '08 TL and '09 TSX. Leaning toward the '09 TSX because of its amazing technology and awesome sound system, but I'm still in the heat of negotiations and am flexible.
    Just sending all the messages on this board or any other would carry very little weight with Honda, but if each of us called them and complained then they would know that they had hundreds or many more customers with this problem. My work relates to computers and has done for 30+ years and I know this can be corrected by a computer chip upgrade at very low cost to Honda. So please call their Customer Care number. Thanks.
    I have replied to several postings about this problem and wanted to post here to everyone. I have reported this to Honda's Customer Care department and have requested a Case # so I can add to it in the future. Honda is aware of the issue but doesn't have a fix in the works as I write here. They agreed with me that if many Honda customers filed a compliant like I did they would have to address it and work on a fix. They said only a handful have called in. So please take the complaint to the place something can be done about it, HONDA. We can all post here and other sites but we must all take the time to go to HONDA where they will be forced to fix this issue when enough of us complain. I just spoke with Honda and they confirmed that we can't send them emails or refer to someone elses Case # but each person must open their own Case # and the subject of VCM will show on their database. That way they will know how many VCM issues have been called in. So please call 1-800-999-1009 and tell them you want Honda to fix this issue. Thank You.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    Sorry to burst your bubble but Honda is lying to you. There have been more than a "handful" of compliants about it - verified by my dealer tech who went on a ride with me and confirmed that they personally get several a week complaining about it. I actually wrote an email to all of the Sr Mgr's of the company (Pres/VP, etc..) - no response. Only thing that has happened is the marketing change to "nearly seemless". I suspect 2 things: 1). They are worried about a class action suit from the early purchasers and 2). I read somewhere they are basing their whole future on the VCM tech and admitting there is a problem would be company suicide. So I don't believe anything will happen to fix the problem. I have been a loyal customer for 20 years and this is my last Honda. I have advised anyone who asks not to buy Honda.
    I am sure you are correct, to admit this is an issue would kill sales of the V6 model. I agree with you, I wouldn't purchase another Honda product with VCM. There is a side of Honda Corp. that makes very little sense, the Acura line was great in the days of the Legend but the RL is over priced, small, and full of problems. And now the Accord is headed in the same direction. Too large, too soft, and VCM. Too bad! If there is a Class Action suit I AM IN.
  • drums1954drums1954 Member Posts: 20
    I am close to getting an 09 Accord EX-L. 4Cyl..Have they fixed the problem with the flickering headlights??
    I am really undecided BTW the 4 and the 6, but I heard that there are problems with the 6 also.
    Can someone enlighten me???...Or should I look at the 09 Mazda6???
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Since this discussion is about the VCM issue in the 6 cylinder Accord, let's ask anyone here who has a response for you to reply to drums1954, "2009 Honda Accord" #214, 11 Dec 2008 6:09 am instead of in this discussion.
    Run away from the 2008 Honda Accord. Great looking car; has serious vibration and quality problems. I drove my daughter's 2005 Accord today and was reminded how much I miss the older Accord that I traded in for my 2008 EXL-V6-NAV Accord. The 2005 runs smooth as silk; the transmission and engine are well matched. The 2008 Accord is a piece of crap.
    I am glad that you did not purchase a Honda. You made a good decision. Honda Motor never solved the problem for 2008 Honda Accord vibration problem for us. My wife and I both own Honda cars for past 25 years. Now we will have no choice but to leave Honda for another maker's car. Honda 2009 Accord are using the same engine as 2008 so it is a lemon. Have a happy holiday
    I will be looking for a new accord in the late winter. Also driving hondas for 27 years.
    I'd be interested in knowing what you end up buying instead.
    Obviously the VCM issue preclude getting a V6.
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    "Obviously the VCM issue preclude getting a V6. "

Don't judge the v6 based on internet discussion forums.. There are plenty of Accord V6 owners who have no issue with the VCM, me being one of them. Go drive a V6 Accord and judge for yourself. I'm very happy that I went with the v6 over the I4. My 2008 v6 has no issues and the smooth power of the 6 is well worth it.
    When we go to test drive it, what can we do to really test to see if there are issues with that particular car? Is it the fact that all the V-6's are the same and certain drivers are more sensitive to the 6-4-3 changes?
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    I agree. I started off with a pretty healthy list of cars that I would consider. I crossed the Accord off early based on what I was reading about the VCM. Eventually, I decided to at least test drive one and ended up buying the car. I did keep the VCM problems in mind and tried to duplicate them on my long test drive. I'm loving my Accord with no problems at my early stage of ownership (always knocking on wood).

I have no doubts that the problem does exist. I don't begrudge those with the problem fuming and expressing it loudly here. I would do the same thing. Honda's cavalier attitude would send me off the edge most though.

Nonetheless, why write the car off if most are fine in this regard, which appears to be the case? As I said, I had the same reservations as you, but now am happy I chose the Accord.
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    I explained to my dealer my reservations and that I would only consider the car if I was allowed however long a test drive I needed to at least ease my concerns. I also wanted to see if I had a problem with the seat comfort as quite a few had problems in this arena as well. I had just bought from them a month or so before, so they knew me and were more than willing to oblige.

So, with lumbar support in the seats deflated, off we went. It was early Saturday morning and we drove mainly on a section of freeway I knew wouldn't be crowded that time of day. I had with me a list of speeds that were listed as problematic and tested the car at these speeds, with and without cruise control being engaged, over and over. Honestly, except for the green VCM light flashing on and off on the dash, I didn't notice much, if anything, certainly not anything that I would find annoying.

We returned and I bought my Accord.
    Be very careful , Honda Motor did not correct the problem with their engine. Same engine are in this year's Accord. Also the attitude of Honda Service is part of our reason for leaving Honda after over 26 years with Honda.

We went to Nissan and bought a Nissan Murano. It gave us good milage . The service is great. I felt we should have swtch to Nissan Motor earlier.

To those who are ready to purchase another car please make sure you test drive on the high way to make it do not have vibration around 60 mph. (the engine skips fire causing the vibration).
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Ok, I'll pipe in here. As an 08 V6 owner, I believe there is no problem for Honda to correct, therefore why would Honda even think about using a different engine? Granted, some drivers are more sensitive and don't like the 6-4-3 cyl transition, but that doesn't mean anything is wrong with it. I can feel it going between 6-4-3 cyl modes and I try hard to keep it in 4 or 3 cyl most of the time. My last tank of gas I got 25.3 mpg in mixed driving. I am very pleased with my Honda!
    Honda does have a problem to fix. While the vibration is most noticable at 60 mph and above, there is also a vibration caused by the torque converter lock up at speeds as low as 25 mph. I talked with the mechanic from our Honda dealership and he said that off the record they are getting a lot of complaints. Honda has given the dealership scripted responses.

The vibration and noise has become more pronounced on my car now that it has 10,000 miles. Threre are times when driving around town, particularly on hilly roads, that the car is just outright annoying as the engine changes back and forth the number of cylinders that are misfiring and the transmission tries to adjust with the engine and terrain.

I'd take back my 2003 Accord in a minute. While the 2008 Accord is a good looking car, I woulnd't buy or lease one now that I've experienced the problems. The other problem that is less reported but growing is the number of drivers complaining about the sound of gas sloshing in the tank.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    :confuse: I don't know what to say about your problems since I'm having a completely different experience with my car. I haven't heard anything about a torque converter problem. I don't know what you mean by cylinders misfiring because if it actually happens, that would cause emission problems with fouled up oxygen sensors and catalytic converters, and the EPA would all over that. Everyday I see more new Accords, both 4 and 6 cyl's on the road. Honda must be doing something right!
  • jhu1972jhu1972 Member Posts: 4
    I have driven my 2008 V6 Accord Coupe for 5 months and have not experienced any problems with the VCM. I notice when it engages because I see the light go on. There is a slight difference in engine sound, almost like a gear shift. If not for the light, I probably wouldn't even notice.
    Re. the vibration problem. I haven't experienced one situation where I had any kind of vibration problem.
    As another poster stated, I don't deny that some cars do have problems but I have experienced none of them. I would not discourage someone from buying a V6 but I would point them to this forum and encourage them to take a test drive at varying speeds and conditions.
    The only thing I would do differently is wait for a 6-speed to be available instead of the automatic that I bought.
    That's great that you're not having problems. We had absolutely no problems with our 2003 Accord; however, it had several recalls and received one of lower ratings from Consumer Reports for a Honda. Apparently we were lucky. The 2003 engine and transmission were much smoother than the 2008.