2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    There was someone just a few posts back who mentioned this same problem. I don't remember who, but you could do a quick search.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The car in question was a Limited, not an SE.

I've seen the lip spoilers like those on the Sonata go for around $250-350 or more. You can get them at a dealer (installed) or on the Web (painted or unpainted).
  • Options
    There was someone just a few posts back who mentioned this same problem. I don't remember who, but you could do a quick search.

Oh, right, that WAS you. . .
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I replied to the wrong post, the one who said she bought a limited with a spoiler, but didn't care for it.

You replied, ""#914 of 923 Re: Sonata Limited rear spoiler [pries4] by backy Jul 24, 2009 (6:47 pm) Save | Reply
    Replying to: pries4 (Jul 24, 2009 6:20 pm)

It's a dealer installed option on any Sonata."
  • Options
    coacoa Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Sonata 09 LTD I4 since i am done w/ 6cyl. My goals were comfort and MPG that I am getting w/ this car. On a trip from Houston to Austin i felt the difference in comfort from our SUV, besides the MPG. At 75, I got 28MPG, on return at 70 got 30. The car still 1000 mi, so i expect improvements. The car gets you to your destination w/ comfort and competitively.
    I read on past posts that the Sonata 09 that using the cruise control would cause a downshift on little hills, which i confirmed. A quick work around is to set your cruise to the desired speed and move the shiftronics to the right, locking on 5th gear. In this way, i was doing 2200 at 75 and on hills it would go up to 2500 but it would not downshift.
    I hope Hyundai could come w/ a Software patch for the I4 cruise allowing it to be more relaxed than the V6. I could live w/ a drop in 2-3 mph without the downshift.
    Hyundai, I would be glad to test! :)

Have a good drive!
  • Options
    dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    The other thing I found was that if you press on the gas gently as you start the incline, the speed and revs stay the same and it doesn't downshift at all. This kind of defeats the idea of cruise, however.

On another matter, I spoke to the service manager, and he confirmed that you can't program the locks to lock automatically but not unlock automatically. Remember, each door unlocks as it's opened in any case. So if you're in a bad neighborhood and you must shift into Park, you would have to press the master lock button on the driver's door immediately. This is a dumb feature to build into a car, especially since they pride themselves on putting so much effort into the refresh last year.
  • Options
    kenlight1kenlight1 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the information. It worked like a charm. I was originally under the impression that the shiftronics would only allow you to downshift/upshift one gear. I'll have to go back and read the manual to find out what else I've missed.

Thanks again
    Ken

BTW: On my trip between Memphis and Branson during the hottest days of the year (99+) I was getting 33 mph. Between Branson and Kansas City I was getting 31 mph. This was with some city driving and doing 5mph over the speed limits (9,200 miles on 4 cyl automatic). :D
  • Options
    decarlowdecarlow Member Posts: 4
    To dovid2: have your service manager contact the factory engineering group.
    In mid-Feb. the factory released a software patch to allow reprogramming the door locks. The dealer set our '09 SE to lock automatically at 10 mph and stay locked when the trans goes to park and the engine is shut off.
  • Options
    imakeglerimakegler Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if anyone else has this problem. my trunk is always open. I would like to disable the trunk from the remote but cant Any suggestions
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll have to remember that the next time I'm there. The first oil change was free, but I don't plan to go there regularly for them from now on.
  • Options
    kenlight1kenlight1 Member Posts: 22
    What am I missing? Why wouldn't you go to a dealer and get it fixed properly?

Ken
  • Options
    newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    Why is your trunk always open? You have to hold the button for 5 seconds for it to open. Is it you never get it to close? My problem with the trunk is you have to close it hard so it latches and if you unlock it it does not move so you will not realize that it is open other than the dash light.
    My problem with the remote is I trip the alarm sometimes when I lean against my pocket or I lock or unlock the doors by leaning against things or bending over.
  • Options
    james1982james1982 Member Posts: 73
    If your trunk is not closing, it is probably a problem with the latch - not the remote. Definitely take it to the dealer to get it looked at. Did you haul anything in the trunk that could have bent the latch? If it's something you did, it probably won't be covered by the warranty, but you need to get it fixed as soon as possible. You don't want water getting into your trunk, rusting the frame and turning into mold.

The remote doesn't have sensitivity setting.

Can you provide some more information about the problem?
  • Options
    justcurious3justcurious3 Member Posts: 1
    I do not mind having the doors lock when the car is put into gear, but I am uncomfortable with all the doors unlocking when the car is put into park, before shutting the motor. It was brought to my attention when I parked in a dimly lit parking lot. I do not see any redeeming value for this.
  • Options
    I haven't had a chance to take it in, but this is the response I received from decarlow above:

To dovid2: have your service manager contact the factory engineering group.
    In mid-Feb. the factory released a software patch to allow reprogramming the door locks. The dealer set our '09 SE to lock automatically at 10 mph and stay locked when the trans goes to park and the engine is shut off.
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I had this program done to my 06 Sonata when I purchased it new 3 years ago. I had mine programmed to lock when reaching 19mph and unlock when I opened my door from the handle.
  • Options
    bgfrankbgfrank Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2009 Sonata Limited (4cyl) July 31, 2009. I am please with everything, except my vehicle also pulls to the left at highway speeds (65-74mph) especially on the interstate. After seeing other posts from March 2009 experiencing the same problem, I wonder if their problem was ever resolved. Has anyone else had this problem since the March posts? If "chrrmurp" or "hyundaiguy4" should see this post, was your problem ever diagnosed and corrected? Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    BG Frank
  • Options
    If I were you, I'd take it to the dealer for an alignment check. Adjustments are covered for the first year, and it should not be pulling to either side.
  • Options
    chrrmurpchrrmurp Member Posts: 24
    Well - I'm sorry to say that mine is still not fixed. I actually just had my tires rotated again and it is worse (back to the way it was, initially). Like I stated in my previous posts, I have had several alignments (I think five to date). Since it became worse after the tire rotation, the dealership and I are both thinking that there is an issue with two of the tires. He did say that they could throw on some new tires and see if that fixes it - if it does, I can either buy new tires or wait it out. Do I want to spend $800 on tires with 32,000 miles on the car? - not really. I think i'm just going to wait it out until I'm due for tires (probably 20,000 more miles or so). I'm tempted to have him throw on a pair just to see if that is the issue. Next week I'll be headed in for an oil change, so I'll let you know if I had him throw some new tires on and weather or not that corrects it. If you hear anything on your end keep me posted. It's really annoying.
  • Options
    A good tire shop would be able to tell you which tires have an "issue." If you had the rebalancings done at the Hyundai dealer, you might find a tire shop that has a Hunter 9700 or similar wheel balancing machine (if your dealer doesn't have that). If a tire has a problem, it can be tricky to get right. I have one tire on my Elantra that has "issues" and has since new. Every time that tire is rotated to the front and rebalanced, I get a shimmy on the highway. I have to take the car back to the tire shop and have them re-balance it. They have a Hunter machine. In fact I just did that yesterday. No more shimmy.
  • Options
    Probably a dumb question: does this pulling to the left only occur when you are in the left lane? (Road pitch possibly pulling the car left?)

The reason I ask is, I have certain stretchs of single lane local roads I drive every day where I have to steer the car a little to the left in order to counter the crown in the road pitching to the right? (One road has 40 MPH speed limit and the other is 25 MPH.)
  • Options
    chizichizi Member Posts: 7
    My sonata had the same issue unfortunately I was past 12,000 miles when it really became a problem; so no adjustments for me. I finally had the issue fixed after unsatisfactory results from visiting 2 Hyundai dealerships. It was an independent tire shop that finally fixed the issue. My advice to you would be to get a before and after specs, that way you have a reference point if further adjustments need to be made. Some one here had mentioned looking for a shop that uses Hunter equipments, I totally agree because that was the equipment in use at the independent shop.
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Or he can just replace the tires and that'll fix his problem. If one or more of the tires thread starts separting that will cause the vehicle to pull to either side. If the car is pulling to the left, rotate the tires side to side and test drive to see if the pull followed the tires, if so you need new tires.
  • Options
    Thank you for replying with your information and advise. It's greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone for offering your advise and comments. I really do appreciate it. I wish the problem was just the pitch of the road. Unfortunately on a wide interstate (3 lanes) from the right lane, even with the road pitched to the right to shed water, it still gradually pulls to the left. My pickup truck, which has no problem, will eventully fade to the shoulder on the same stretch of road in the right lane (as it should due to the road pitch). From the left lane where the road is pitched to the left, the pull to the left is much more noticable. Based on the advise given, I think I will have the tires rotated side to side as a first test, and if the pull remains to the left I will have my first year / 12000 mile free alignment by the dealer and get the spec sheet. If the problem persists, I will then take it to a reputable tire store to have them check the alignment with the spec sheet. Hopefully, I will not have to take it to the next level. Thanks again for everyone's help.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,988
    Had the same problem on my last car and this did the trick until the tires wore out. Didn't solve the problem totally, but enough so that it wasn't as noticeable and I just lived with it. I'm the kind of driver who needs to have the steering wheel spot on center when going down a straight road or I'm not a happy camper...a bit anal but just want it that way! Luckily I've got an alignment policy with a local tire shop and after 4 four wheel alignments in 1 1/2 weeks, one of the techs got it 90% correct...liveable until the tires wore out.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Are you getting "4 Wheel" alignments?
  • Options
    sharksoupsharksoup Member Posts: 26
    Took my 09 to an alignment shop this spring. I've been doing business with them for many years, and trust their judgement.

I was told that there are NO alignment adjustments that can be done on the front end, only on the rear end. I was having a similar pulling problem that was helped after adjusting the rear end to specs and by swapping the tires around.

Their top mechanic and the owner both told me that many of the newer cars have eliminated front end adjustability. Darned if I know why!
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    On many recent cars, the front "camber" has not been adjustable. Perhaps that is what your mechanic said or meant.
  • Options
    lewbie43lewbie43 Member Posts: 6
    How do you select playlists and albums from the i-pod on the sound system? I ssem to be only able to play all music as one rather than separately. The manual seems rather blank on this issue. Thanks.
  • Options
    I saw some 2010 Sonatas at my local Hyundai dealership today. As previously reported, they look the same. But the pricing seems higher. I looked at a GLS with AT ($19,900) plus PEP ($650), mats and I think a cargo net, and it was $21,4k! That seems several hundred more than a 2009. Maybe Hyundai is preparing us for the price of the all-new 2011 Sonata, which I expect will be higher still.

(Wasn't sure where to put this, as there's a discussion for the 2009 Sonata and 2011 Sonata, but not 2010. Since the 2010 is a carry-over, maybe this one could be called "2009-10 Sonata"?)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sure, why not?

IIRC, the 2011 discussion was originally 2010 and you (I think?) asked me to change it to 2011. So this is a good compromise, thanks!
  • Options
    jboz29jboz29 Member Posts: 15
    Why does my brothers 09 sonata v-6 get the same or better mileage than my 09 sonata v4? I thought my 4 cyclinder would be better on gas.
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Swap cars and see what happens. I'll bet it's driver technique.
  • Options
    james1982james1982 Member Posts: 73
    I bet jlindh is right - it's probably due to the fact that you two drive differently. You may be a little heavier on the gas, acceleration, braking etc.
  • Options
    It could also be the type of driving you both do...mix of highway/city. How much stop & go, short trips vs longer trips.etc.
  • Options
    Could be the type of gas. Ethanol lowers your gas millage up to 20%
  • Options
    jboz29jboz29 Member Posts: 15
    Do you know the names os stations that doesnt contain ethanol? hard to find
  • Options
    8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    This is only a suggestion you might try, I found by trying different brands of gas
    with my GMC truck I consistently got better mileage w/ Shell regular unleaded.
    It has a 4.3l v-6 and I used it for oilfield hauling (hotshot). Many miles in short
    period of time like 5000+ miles in a week, 1900 miles trip, etc, so was able to
    check mileage closely. With that kind of gas bill month after month you will do
    your best to save fuel!!! 1 mile per gallon does make a difference. Average about
    16,000 miles a month @ 19 mpg gas price about $3.00 + a gallon ($2500./$3000.)
    a month. When self employed and that comes off the top one drop of gas matters.
    Have checked my new 2009 Sonata se v-6, same results even more evident. It likes
    the Shell much better. Around here not all gas has Ethanol. (don't like it anyway).
  • Options
    lousonatalousonata Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2009 Sonata Limited...they did wheel alignment, but problem still here...next step, they are going to give me a loaner and have their Hyundai rep get involved...possibly considering frame machine adjustment...when I had the wheel alignment the castor was out of spec on the hunter precision machine..also, left and right castor differed by 0.2 degrees....no adjustment available for castor.....will be going back in a few weeks....stay tuned....
  • Options
    chrrmurpchrrmurp Member Posts: 24
    Definitely let me know what happens. Mine is still doing it with no fix - I'm just living with it for now.
  • Options
    necostanzonecostanzo Member Posts: 7
    Hello all.//

Frequent lurker 1st time poster...I recently bought a brand new 2009 Sonata Limited V6 in Cocoa. I bought the vehicle brand new with only 14 miles on the ODO. After I got it home and was able to clean & detail, I noticed that the left rear door had been repainted. I immediately called the dealer and they looked in all the records (or so they say) and told me that nothing had been damaged on the vehicle. I called Hyundai USA and filed a complaint. I also took the vehicle to another Hyundai dealership and the body shop and service manager confirmed that in fact the door had been repainted (by using a millimeter paint depth tool and visual confirmation) . They looked on the Hyundai website and did not find any warranty PO's on this vehicle, which indicated that it wasn't damage in shipping since it would have been repaired by the purchasing dealer and reported as a claim to Hyundai and it would have shown on the website. My complaint was upgraded to the regional office and I received a call from someone there and they were going to do some further investigation. My questions here as follows (please chime in if you have 1st hand knowledge or experience with this matter):

#1. Is it possible it was damaged at the factory and repainted there? Are they putting out that kind of crap in Alabama? With a casual glance you wouldn't notice the repaint, but you can see remnants of overspray on the b pillar and if you look closely down the panel you can see a difference in the orange peel and there are a few waves in the surface.

#2. Why is no one able to pinpoint where this vehicle was repainted?

#3. I am getting the feeling that Hyundai is not going to replace the vehicle, but only offer to repaint the door/body. I am a picky person, and there is no amount of painting that would make me feel good about keeping this vehicle...it is not factory paint and will never match the entire car. Does anyone have experience with damaged/repainted vehicles?

#4. Is there anything I can do or say to Hyundai to get them to exchange this vehicle? I did call my State attorney generals office and they said that in our state, the dealer/manufacturer has to disclose any type of damage that exceeds $300 on a new vehicle (which they didn't). In addition, the state representative told me that there is another issue and that is the "presumption of condition", which means that I would have never purchased the vehicle had I known the door had been repainted. It is assumed that when you buy a new vehicle it is in fact "new" and undamaged.

I personally don't want to sue my dealer or have the State attorney general office investigate the matter because it is time consuming and distracting. I just want someone to accept that the vehicle was damaged and repainted somewhere along the way before it was delivered to me and replace it with another one that is similar. Heck, I even offered to throw a little money at it to get the monkey off my back. I expressed my view that I am a 1st time Hyundai buyer and that I usually buy 1-2 vehicles every year and that if I'm not treated fairly on this matter, I will never buy another Hyundai.

I hope for the best, but I'm expecting something less. Please add your suggestions or inputs.

Cheers, Nick :mad:
  • Options
    wayne52wayne52 Member Posts: 26
    The likelihood of that being a problem from the factory is very close to zero. It was probably damaged in shipment or while at the dealership and the dealership painted it. Sorry that happened to you, but don't think it was a hyundai corporation issue. Sounds like a dealership issue. I saw that at a chevrolet dealership once. An impala was scratched on the lot and they painted the back fender before selling the car and never mentioned the paint job. Good luck with resolution.
  • Options
    I gather that there's a standard procedure for reporting damage-in-transit. It sounds like the car was in fact damaged in transit and that whoever was responsible failed to complete the appropriate report--probably because he or she would've been fired for causing the damage.

Not unheard of in this business, and not unique to Hyundai by any means, but if it happened to my car I'd probably still feel very upset at the company for letting it happen. I hope you get the satisfaction you're seeking--but I suspect that the longer the delay, the less likely that will be.
  • Options
    espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    I totally agree with Wayne52...it happened on the dealers' lot, and was repaired by the dealer. You could push the dealer for not disclosing the damage but I doubt they'll replace the car, it's not that easy.
    Talk to the General Manager at the dealership. If you are totally against having the door repainted, maybe you would accept it if they took a same-color door off a brand new car and swapped it with yours?
  • Options
    haggardhaggard Member Posts: 92
    That's my guess as well. If the dealer didn't do it, he certainly would have filed a claim when it arrived on his lot.

Give the dealer a fair but limited-time opportunity to make it right to your satisfaction. If he balks, show them your info from the AG and make it perfectly clear that you are prepared to follow through. Then blog the daylights out of it on every local site you can, spend 10 bucks and post it on Angie's list, and just become a royal pain in the butt to the limits of the law.

They are counting on you not wanting to deal with them. Good luck.
  • Options
    necostanzonecostanzo Member Posts: 7
    All very good comments. The paint repair is very good. I did not notice it when I picked up the car from the dealer. Only after cleaning and noticing some ripples and imperfections in the door did I start to look at it closely. Most people wouldn't have notice the damage, but I'm not most people and I definitely wouldn't have bought this vehicle had I known then what I know now. Iowa law is $300 dislosure, which I'm sure the repair was more than that. In addition, the AG also told me that they are liable under the "expectation" of product. If I had known about the damage, I wouldn't have bought the vehicle, but since it wasn't disclosed I didn't have that opportunity. It provides me a little more consumer protection in situations exactly like this one. I assumed that I bought a new undamaged vehicle when in fact I didn't. I should know something next week and will post results then...
    I was really looking for someone to lend their ear if they have any experience with a situation similar to mine and what amount of defects is Hyundai experiencing with their paint and the Alabama plant. Cheers, Nick
  • Options
    8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    Hi, I had a similar problem after getting our new Sonata home, we also were
    cleaning it up a couple days later and noticed some scratches inside the front
    fender well. Looked like tire marks, now how did that get there? no way the tire
    is anywhere near it no matter how it's turned. Maybe the tire came apart and
    hit it, I doubt it, all the tires are just alike wear and all. So I brought it directly
    to a big body shop near here to get an evaluation and their opinion on what may
    have happened. He agreed it was tire damage but not likely a tire coming apart
    the only marks showing were on the front side. He asked if I minded if he looked
    under car, I was more than happy he do just that. He said that there is some rub
    marks on bottom right side of bumper and he saw a few things out of line under it.
    He also looked real good again in fender well and noticed it also was out of line,
    very little but not right. He said let me try something I told him to knock himself
    out. He pulled a little on the bumper by the tire and it popped apart, in his opinion
    the bumper was hit from underneath and pushed up and broke most of the clips
    that hold it in place. I went to dealer and told them the car had previous damage
    or possibly been wrecked, the salesman and the manager said they didn't know
    anything about any damage and they said the car was never wrecked. After that
    I told them to explain this, the tire marks inside the well and they both agreed it
    looked like tire marks, now how do you explain this I gave the bumper a tug and
    it flopped down just about touching the tire, both of their jaws almost fell off. The
    manager said I'll be right back, he came back and said that there was never any
    reported damage on this vehicle, and said that "reported" was the key word here.
    Any repair over a certain $ amount has to be on carfax. I said it,s plain to see the
    damage is still there. The only visible marks looking at the bumper were two holes
    were the front license plate goes. They asked if I would leave the car there they
    would get it to the shop and have it fixed. I told them my wife had come in our
    other car to bring me home that the car was staying there till it was fixed to my
    satisfaction (not just patched up) but everything damaged replaced new if not we
    would cancel the check we gave them for it. They were more than co operative. I
    also told them do not put license plat hole in the new bumper. I want to see it
    is new!
    This may have happened before they got it or even on a test drive, good chance
    there was no painting needed in any other area. What you can do is find out what
    body shop works on their cars and go ask them about that car they should have
    records or even remember if they did it. If the car was brought there from another
    dealer find out where and contact their repair shop. There is more than 1 way to
    SKIN A CAT. I know how you feel!!!!! Good luck
  • Options
    Any repair over a certain $ amount has to be on carfax.

Actually, it doesn't. There is nothing to require any repair or servicing to be put on a Carfax report. Thus Carfax is useful, but not foolproof.
  • Options
    tomw6tomw6 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2009 Sonata with eight hundred miles on it. Whenever I'm coasting at 1200-1500 rpm and apply a bit of gas (sometimes with no extra gas) it behaves as though it is missing. It varies in intensity - sometimes the whole car shakes mildly, but it is ALWAYS there; often it does it just idling in the carport. Below 1200 rpm or above 1500 rpm no problems at all. Any suggestions?? It's been in the dealer's a total of 9 days. Any help at all would be much appreciated.