Options

Zaino Car Care Experiences

Comments

• Options
    luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Well, I hate to be the party-pooper but.......
    my waterspot problem is worsening.

I posted a while back that I noticed waterspots only when wiping the water off the vehicle. I have a dark burgandy colour, and when I am drying the vehicle, I notice "waterspots" (ie. spots that retain moisture..seem wet) as the damp rag passes over the surface. They are not noticeable when dry, but it begs the question as to the level of protection my Z is actually providing if these these spots are occuring. And no, I do not have hard water.

I washed my car on Sunday, and noticed that waterspots have become even more numerous. As a result, I threw on a coat of Z2. I can't remember exactly, but I put a coat of z5 approximately 1.5 months ago. I'll have to see if this makes a difference. If it does, then I can only conclude that the Z was no longer performing to snuff.

Don't get me wrong...I admit Z gives the best shine I have seen, and I have posted my support for Z. But I must admit, I am beginning to question its durability as a result the waterspots.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments/advice.
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    does it spot after a hard rain? My water could be considered "hard" but I don't notice any water spotting on my car. Mines white, so they'd be hard to see, but no matter how close I look, I don't have a spotting problem. I also tend to wash a portion of my car, and when rinsing, I'll hose down the entire car, then when I'm done, I towel it off as quickly as possible, but I'm not seeing spotting on the paint or the chrome wheels.

Shoshana - I always put it on in direct sunlight. I've not had any days of extreme heat, but you might try e-mailing Sal Zaino and ask him that question.
  • Options
    sdgrantsdgrant Member Posts: 12
    I plan to use 3M Foam Pad Polishing Glaze to even out my black oxidized paint before sealing it with the Z treatment. Should I clay first, then 3M polish, or the other way around? After that, I figure the surface should be ready for Z.
  • Options
    daverosedaverose Member Posts: 233
    It is my recollection from a few months back that Sal was quoted by a poster as saying to use Dawn, clay, and Z7 wash, perhaps even Z1, to see how much oxidation would be removed by these procedures before trying the abrasive 3M. Regardless, if you have some oxidation of pigmented paint, rather than just clearcoat, that is, in this case, some black comes off the surface, I would use Z3 between the Z1 and Z5, or Z2. It is my recollection that Z3 has something (is it "emulsifiers?") that "feeds" the pigmented paint which helps the paint last longer. Z2, Z3, and Z5 are all compatible with each other so there is no worry there. Z3 has other uses beside, in this instance, being, perhaps, a one-time use after the first application of Z1. You can use it on the metal of your windshield wipers, and non-clear coated metal in your engine. It can be used on exterior metal in your home such as storm doors, painted metal widow frames, and air conditioners, window units or central air. It can be used on boats, as it is gel coat compatible.
  • Options
    kstang2kstang2 Member Posts: 15
    I had the same questions you do. I wasn't going to have the dealer do anything but one of the posters here said that it was very hard to check out the car with a layer of dirt (very true) so I made it clear that only a wash, NO wax. Everything was fine and my car got its first Zaino 3 days old!!! I love this stuff!
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I would try claying first and then use the foam pad (if neccessary). The clay will just "lift" the embedded garbage out of your paint. It will not, however, do anything for the oxidation. After you use the 3M foam pad, I would clay again to get rid of all the "stuff" on your finish that the foam pad loosened up.

If you are still not happy with the results, you may want to look for a shop that is capable of "buffing" at least a good portion of the oxidation out.

Then proceed with the zaino treatment.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Sorry in my lateness to respond...

pblevine has it right (don't let him fool you, he's got the zaino treatmtment down pat, even though he's a little slow;-)!

After you've done your initial Zaino treatment, you want to allow Z1/Z2 or Z1/Z5 to cure for at least 8 hours (I prefer overnight) before applying your next coat.
  • Options
    pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    A little slow? Ha! Now just because you're paying all those local kids to do the washing for you.... =).

sdgrant: graphicguy's approach makes sense. You'd want to get rid (lift) that metalic brake dust out prior to using the 3M pad. Otherwise that hard dust will create swirls as you remove the oxidation. In any case, just make sure that you've removed all the oxidation before applying Z1/Z3.

alex29: I've even left Z2 on (with removing the residue) overnight before using the towel. The results will be worth it.
  • Options
    notmnotm Member Posts: 22
    Nah. Just kidding. But "toss the towels" is what I want to do. They are all stringy. Yes, I know the spiel: 100% cotton USA... These are the right towels($20). After washing them all the edges are fraying, like mad. I use liq tide, no bleach or other additives. I wash in warm water with no other items. I saw a post a while back that stated they resewed the edges after cutting of the commercial trim. Wanna sew mine?

I don't want to buy a new set of towels every second wash. Maybe one set a year would be OK but these have only been used a half a dozen times.

How are your towels?
  • Options
    I know that many people cut off the edges of thier towels because they are made with nylong threads which can mar your finish. The down side to that is what you just experienced...fraying.

I personally have found it fairly easy to avoid using the edges of the towel. It's not difficult. I just fold the edges away from the rest of the towel.

Works good for me.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    To all-

Saturday I had to make a quick trip to Keene, NH for a 75th birthday party. The car was fairly clean, but I hadn't washed it because they were predicting MORE rain for CT. While I was there, I didn't park in my usual place- AWAY from all those damn pine trees! I THOUGHT I was in a "safe" area. Anyway, I didn't wash the car Sat. when I got back. Drove it dirty on Sunday. Didn't use it at all yesterday and decided that since the sun was out today, I would wash it before the rain arrives again tomorrow!

I had it just about all wiped off when I suddenly noticed a big glob of SAP on the passenger fender and the top of the rear fender! This sap was there for 3 days. I decided that I would try some Z-5 to get it off. There's only a few drops left in the bottle, but it was enough to get this goop off the fenders in about 3 minutes! There was no hard rubbing. The sap came right off! Another plus for Zaino!

fastdriver
  • Options
    re: SAP:
    Was that Z-6? A good Z-7 wash also gets rid of those sap spots.
  • Options
    pblevine-

NO! This was more than just tree sap i.e. little dots all over the car. This was a BIG GLOB of Pine Tree sap that was on the car. This wasn't the run of the mill Maple Tree sap. I don't think that Z-6 would have taken this off. It was like glue!

fastdriver
  • Options
    At least Z-5 did the trick. I would think only clay could handle that sort of 'glue'.

Another subject: Z-6 on windows. Graphicguy had a great idea there. Z-6 was like having RainX on the window. I hardly had to even use my wipers during a heavy rain storm. But (and Sal had warned me about this) the rain will eventually wash the Z-6 off the window. And the result is those wiping streaks which only show up during heavy windshield wiper usage. Fortunately, I re-applied Z-6 and the results are very good.

Conclusion: Using Z-6 on windows helps keep dust off them (anti-static properties) and makes for a clear windshield during rain storms. BUT you will have keep applying Z-6 on a regular basis. That's a good trade off in my mind.
  • Options
    pjyoung: not sure if its after hard rain since I wash my car every week to week and a half. I notice it after I wash my car with Z and while I am drying it off. As indicated, they are not noticeable when the surface is dry, only when you pass over the surface with a damp towel. I too wash and rinse section at a time, then pull the nosel off to give one last rinse with gentle flow of water to help rid some of the water on the surface. I immediately pull my car into the garage and dry.

Anyway, I decided to reapply some Z2 on Saturday weekend and washed my car again on Monday after driving through rain. Waterspotting problem was gone. Furthermore, I must admit, I do notice that there is more shine and beading ability after the z2 this weekend. I can only conclude that my Z was "wearing thin".

I must admit, I am a bit dissappointed...I was hoping my Z would stand up better than it did. I am happy with the shine, beading and ease of application, although durability was key factor in my decision to try Z. It seems that in my circumstances, Z shine nor ability to fend of contaminants (ie. waterspots) lasts as long as I had expected. Beading was still adequate but certainly not like the beading after a fresh coat of Z.

I still have to conclude that it is superior in shine, ease of app, and durability than other products I have used (ie. mothers and mequires) but not sure this will justify the higher price of Z for everyone. I personally will continue using Z.
  • Options
    croy2croy2 Member Posts: 45
    After driving my freshly washed and heavily zaino'd Nissan Crewcab home yesterday, I noticed that a local flying rat (pigeon) had deposited a large circle of excrement right in the middle of the shiny hood. I had a spray bottle of z7 and water solution that I had used during my initial claying. A quick spray of this solution instantly disolved this dried mess and it wiped right off. I love the way the water beads the minute it hits the paint!
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    I am sure that when you divide the number of applications into the cost of your Zaino set, it will the same if not less than the waxes you were using. I will get at least 10 applications from one bottle of Z, compared to 2-3 for a bottle of Meguiar's. Plus, I had to buy glaze and finishing spray as well to get a good finish.

Then, when you figure in the money it is saving you by protecting your paint better than anything else, it becomes the LEAST expensive polish on the market.

How many layers of Z2 did you have? Maybe this new one has eliminated the spotting problem?
  • Options
    pblevine-

I use Z-6 on the windows all the time. You're right. Many times I don't need to use the wipers at all because the rain just flies off! It also prevents the windows on my 300M from STICKING in the up position. It's a better solution than going to a "5-STAR" dealer and getting the weatherstripping replaced! ;-))

fastdriver
  • Options
    'Just curious, how long did you go between your prior Z2 application and the beginning of those 'waterspots'? And under what conditions was your car driven and parked? (ie: 7 day commuter, outside parking, etc.).

fastdriver: Ah, anyother good Z6 feature. The tops of my side windows always have those little streaks. I'll try some Z6 there too. Thanks.
  • Options
    I will use Z6 on my windows before rain x. Rain X is just too hard to apply and remove and my windows always look bad when the rain x "wears".

Off topic, but fastdriver, what was the outcome of all of your problems with your 300M? Did your "5 Star" dealer finally make things right?

Reason I'm asking, my father is intersted in a 300M and he's looking towards the "5 Star" dealer in our area to make a purchase. He's also looking a Park Aves, I30s, DeVilles, Lincoln LSs (which I particularly like, but it's his money).
  • Options
    graphicguy-

There have been so many things that I'm beginning to lose track! ;-)) The last thing was the trunk leak back in April and the replacement of the driver's side foglight that was filled with moisture. The spare tire area was soaked. The matting in the trunk was soaked and the carpet UNDER the floor mat on the rear passenger side was wet! Yes, the DODGE "5-STAR" dealer did send it out to be fixed! This took two days with NO car to drive! The inconveniences that I have experienced with this car and the waste of my time has been unbelievable. I will never buy another Chrysler no matter WHAT they look like. ONE more year to go and then it's THEIR problem!

If your dad doesn't need a big car, I would suggest the I30 or the Toyota Solara. If the I30 is anything like my 94 Infiniti J-30 was, he'll NEVER have to see the dealer for anything! Same for the Solara! Just my opinion of course. I know many others will not agree with me, but then again, they don't own a car like my CHRISTINE! You can read ALL about it here if you haven't already. It needs to be updated soon.
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/

fastdriver
  • Options
    md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    UPS came and went today. They did leave me a nice note saying ZAINO Bros package had an attempted delivery. Left my signature and will hope to sell me stuff waiting for me tommorow night. Next weekend is of course a LONGGGG one so I will be cleaning up both of our Toyotas. Millenium Silver Metalic 4RUNNER and Fairway Green Solara.

Will report on results and post some photos later on.
  • Options
    I used to follow the 300M forum for fun to read, and learned all about Zaino & Christine on the forum. Thanks for the update on your slow death by Chrysler products. At least she looks good all ZAINOED up :)
  • Options
    md2002-

LOL....... Yep, she does LOOK good! I imagine that going to the 300M forum for "fun" must be some experience if you don't own one! I don't think I would believe what's written there if I didn't own Christine because it sounds so unbelievable sometimes! Trust me- it's ALL true! At least my soap opera is!

I go to the Toyota Solara forum for some SANENESS!! LOL....... The biggest thing they've complained about so far is the tiny coin box and some malfunctioning radios! I love it!

fastdriver
  • Options
    reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    I posted at the beginning of the week about my first time use and commented that the shine was good--better than Blitz wax--but not spectacular. I take it back.

The gloss on my paint is really different in quality from even the best wax. (I guess that's what Sal means by optically perfect.) The effect isn't as striking on my metallic silver as on a darker color but when I actually look at the finish or just notice it as I'm pumping gas or getting into the car, the shine is amazing. Also, so far dirt does not seem to be building up on the finish as quickly as it usually does.

This week, I'll put on a second coat of Z2 and then I intend to leave it alone and test Zaino's durability. Hope it lives up to the shine.
  • Options
    ejyejy Member Posts: 62
    Can you can take before/after pictures of the Solara (maybe after you wash/dry but before Z, then after)? That green will look so very sharp with a Z shine!
  • Options
    Thanks for your forthright assessment of your 300M (shine is perfect, though).

Back to Zaino...didn't have time to wash my car today...just rinsed it.

I've got about 4 coats on the finish (2 Z2, 2 Z5).

Haven't washed it in about 3 weeks. The rinse makes me wonder if I even have to wash it again. All dirt just seems to just "rinse off".

OK, just for fun, I'll wash and Z2 again tomorrow. I expect it to take about 1.5 hours to do another detail (including interior, windows, vacuum, under hood, Lexol Vinylex and Z2). I'll finish with Z6 and have the shiniest car on the road again.

pblevine...I'll time myself tomorrow to see how long it takes me. ;-)
  • Options
    Graphicsguy, Thanks! Leave it to a fellow designer to answer my trivial question about towels.

I trimmed them like Sal said and now everytime I pull them from the washer/dryer I have a tangled wrestling match on my hands.

I guess no one else has ever experienced this or they DID NOT follow master Sal's suggestion of trimming the towel edges.

Still "fuzzy"
    Norton

+
    Does Zaino window cleaner remove those streaks left by the wiper blades? Tried alcohol and vinegar without success..
  • Options
    Got all the goodies. Z-Day will be next weekend. I have to go out of town for a few days, and I live in an apartment complex so, off to my parents home to clean our cars. I can't wait. REALLY. It will be alot of work, but FUN.

fastdriver: I went to your web site a long while back and read it all. I just couldn't believe all the problems, that is until I say the JGC. Then it all became a reality.

Only a little while more to go. I saw a nice Solara Convertible. Looks real good with the top down, but I don't like the way the convertible tops look when I am up.
  • Options
    I haven't 'trimmed' my towels. I bought two sets of 100% cotton (made in USA) towels (Fieldcrest), and I wash them in liquid Tide. When wiping off Z2, all I do is "roll" a big (bath) towel up after folding the edges a bit. No seams are exposed, and it is easy to 'turn' to a clean patch as I wipe along.

I do use some old 100% cotton "T" shirts to wash my car. Because those shirts have large seams, I've cut off all such seams (including the bottom edges). Still, I be applying some Z5 to eliminate some swirls.

'Just changed my NY registration sticker. What a pain!
  • Options
    ejyejy Member Posts: 62
    Did you get your NY reg. sticker to stick? If so, how???? Mine is falling off but the new one is 6 months away. Would very much like to get the new one to stick completely as it detracts from an otherwise flawless car.
  • Options
    crchengcrcheng Member Posts: 6
    I'm a first time user of Zaino. A couple of months ago I Zainoed my car using the Dawn, Clay, Z1, Z5,Z6,Z2 and Z6 steps as outlined in this forum. This past weekend I washed the car for the first time since Zainoing using Z7. The wash restored the Zaino shine, however, the surface of the paint was no longer slick. It actually had that squeaky unprotected finish feel. Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal? Is Zaino still protecting?

On another separate note, what are the main differences between Z2 and Z3? What happens if you use the wrong one on your paint? Is there that much as a difference?

Any information/experience you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  • Options
    crcheng-

I think that maybe washing the car more often than every few months would help keep the finish clean and dirt free. Zaino is a terrific product, but it's not a miracle one. You do have to do your part to keep it looking good. I'm sure your finish is still protected after a few months.

Z-2 is for cars that have a clearcoat finish. Z-3 is for non-clearcoat finishes. If you used the wrong one on the car's finish, it's no disaster, but using the right one on the right finish is highly recommended.

If you have any further concerns, you can always e-mail or call Sal. He is great at getting right back to you.

fastdriver
  • Options
    Fastdriver is right! After a few months, the metalic (brake) dust has 'pitted' your Z2 layer. This is normal, and this environmental process is much quicker for waxes than for a polymer based product such as Zaino. Wash again, and apply another coat of Z2.

Ejy: The older NYS stickers used a really stong glue and had to be scraped off. The new registration stickers now use 'double stick' glue which doesn't require and water. Just remove the paper coating and place it on the glass surface. And in the future, this new 'glue' is water soluble. Just a quick spray with Windex, and you should be able to simply peel it off. Just remember to really clean the glass surface after the old sticker has been removed.

Then just place the new sticker directly on the glass and press around the edges.
  • Options
    pblevine and graphicsguy, thank you both for answering the towel question.

And I thought everone followed all of sal's rules.

looks like I'm buying 2 new towels.

Norton
  • Options
    Last z5 was about a month and a half ago, and last z2 was about a couple of weeks prior to that. Conditions: my car parked outside during the day (5 days per week), in the garage at night. Wash once every week or week and a half using Z, a 100% wool wash mitt and dry with imitation chamois.

At the end of the day, I have to compare my experiences with other waxes since they were used under the same conditions. I guess with all the hype, I was expecting better durability from Z. Admit that the Z is more durable than waxes I've tried, except for this waterspotting prob.
  • Options
    It sounds like you've done everything right. And yep, Zaino is great but not a miracle. No, we here haven't 'hyped' Z2, and the wear on your Z2 layer may just be normal. Again, environmental fastors such as dust in the air, etc. should be taken into account.

In my experience, Zaino has better durability than other products I've tried. I last applied Z2 during the '99 Thanksgiving holiday. When I last washed (and Z6'd) it (last week), it was in much the same condition as your car. That's a very good shine, but rain water doesn't bead up like when the Z2 was first applied. Hey, that's to be expected. Normal wear and tear. Brake dust in the air WILL wear down any product. I'll be applying Z5/Z2 this weekend.

A few suggestions: Put a coat of Z2 on after any application of Z5 and wipe with Z6 between these steps. Z5 is a 'softer' product, designed to eliminate swirl marks. Z2 is the endurance product. I only use a cotton cloth when washing, but I'm not sure that makes a big difference. You might call Sal about that one. I also wipe down with Z6 after every wash.
  • Options
    torektorek Member Posts: 92
    When I was a kid I once rummaged through my mom's sewing supplies and found these weird "triangular scissors" (like regular scissors but if you cut something with them, you get little triangle edges instead of a straight edge). I asked what they were: the answer was "pinking shears". Apparently if you use these to cut fabric, the edges tend not to unravel so much.

Thus, for those of you who want to cut off the edges of your towels, see if you can find some pinking shears. That may help deter or delay the fraying problems.

Chris
  • Options
    luck11-

I think pblevine touched on something here. Not everyone will have the exact same experiences with Zaino because there are so many variables. I'm sure if I lived in AZ or FL, my experiences would be different then they are here in CT. We don't have 100 degree temps day after day like some parts of AZ have. We don't get the "daily" afternoon thunderboomers like FL either, although we have had a few lately! Also, atmospheric conditions do make a difference. I know that acid rain is bad in the Northeast. If a car is left unwashed for weeks at a time, the acid rain will take a toll on the car's finish no matter what wax or polish you use! NOTHING will prevent acid rain from eating into your finish and leaving all kinds of pit marks. They are MOST evident when the car is seen under fluorescent lights. The best solution is regular washing.

fastdriver
  • Options
    lynne29lynne29 Member Posts: 46
    Yes, they help a lot, but don't altogether eliminate the fraying.

Did you ever try use them to cut "fancy" paper when you were young? I did and boy did I get in trouble. Got the lecture from my seamstress guardian about how paper dulls the scissor edge, blah blah blah!! Evidently it was very hard to sharpen pinking shears, but the sharper they are, the better they work.
  • Options
    davesl99davesl99 Member Posts: 5
    I've gone through the whole "Z" process with Z-5 as the polish. My car had some deep "cat scratches" so over the last couple of months I've probably applied 10-15 coats of Z-5 with incredible results.I'm ready for Z-2. My question is should I go ahead and Z-1 before I Z-2 given the amount of Z-5 on the paint? I have not seen any information that would lead me to believe that a layer of Z-1 would be detrimental in any case.

Thanks! Dave
  • Options
    daves199 -

Time for some Z-1/Z-2. Sal says to use the Z-1 twice a year or after 10 coats of Z-2/Z-5. Glad things worked out for you.

fastdriver
  • Options
    bo9877bo9877 Member Posts: 9
    Hey everyone! I want to ask a couple of questions to you guys and I apologize if they have already been answered previously. Please bear with me! Anyway, I have already decided to use Zaino based on the testimonies I have read. Here's my questions:

1) My car is a brand new black 2000 Honda Civic Si. It was delivered to my dad's house in Alabama and I go to pick it up in a week. So, what do you guys recommend for my first Zaino treatment? The dealer prepped it before they delivered it if that makes a diference. I was figuring on a Dawn/Clay/Dawn/Z1/Z2 session, but I am wondering if I need to throw on anything else. Do I even need to clay?

2) How long does it usually take an order to arrive by UPS?
  • Options
    On a black car, I'd go with your original plan, including the clay. I didn't clay mine, but it's white and white tends to hide more flaws. I also don't use the Z6, but again, on a darker car, I think you ought to. Zaino is great stuff. Oh, I hope you ordered the Z7 carwash - The stuff is awesome! Just washed mine today - Z2- about a month an a half old. Still beads like new, shines like crazy, and protects better than anything I've found. You won't be disappointed!
  • Options
    joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    Since the shipment is sent out as soon as the check is received without waiting for the check to clear, you should get your product about a week to 10 days after you mail your check to them. It is pretty fast.
  • Options
    dispatch1dispatch1 Member Posts: 30
    Just thinking it's better for everyone involved. Faster for sure.

I've been a Meguiars regular for quite a few years, but given the amount of people that are impressed with the stuff, and seeing the Z site's pictures - I'm in. I'm ordering the stuff this week. (I figure they dont work on weekends).
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys! Yeah, I know it is a pain to keep a black car looking nice. I currently drive a black 1996 Jeep Cherokee and I work my butt off trying to keep it looking nice. I live in San Antonio where it is pretty dusty so I have to wash it about once a week. With my Jeep, I usualy wash it with Zip Wax car wash and I'll wash, polish, and wax twice a year. It usually looks great after doing so, but the shine and gloss just doesn't last as long as I'd like it to. I once clayed my Jeep with a Mother's bar and I was impressed by the difference a clay treatment can make. If the Z stuff works half as well as ya'll say it does, I'll be one happy customer!
  • Options
    How well does Zaino protect against paint marring by bugs? do bugs wash off fairly easily or do you have to put in some elbow grease to get the job done right? Also, do the Z products provide anymeasure of protection against chipping for small rocks etc.? I ask b/c I am considering purchasing a full nose mask for my Si. Let it be known that I personally detest nose masks and I think they detract from the appearance from a car. The reason I am thinking about one is to use for longer trips on the open road to protect my front end from road debris, bugs, etc., and to stow it away when just driving around town. Will Zaino make such an accessory unneccesary?
  • Options
    Personally, I don't care for the look of a bra on my 300M, so I don't have one. And bugs on a white car can be nasty. I hand wash my car, and use a pressure washer attached to my garden hose to loosen what I can before I wash. The bugs seem to come right off. In all honesty, the 45mph bugs do come off a little easier than the 90mph bugs ;>) . Nine months into the car, I don't even have rock chips, but until I can go two years without any, I'll withhold claiming that Zaino prevents rock chips!

But, what really sold me on Z was how easy ROAD TAR comes off. Bottom line, if bugs are you're concern, Z will help them come off easier.
  • Options
    lemmingslemmings Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know of a distributor in California?