Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    What I always liked in the south were all the cafeteria's.

You mean the Cafe Teria??
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Cafe Teria

Well now, that could be southern speak for a cafeteria, or it could be some joint in the west serving something foreign and overpriced.
  • Options
    Just thought, I don't want to be accused of picking on specific regions of the country, so let's cover the rest of 'em: Cafe Teria in the northeast it is sarcasm like Tarshay is to Target. In the midwest its probably more like "WTF, that place isn't in the phone book. In the southwest that place probably actually exists! See, I've gotten around the country a lot before I retired.
  • Options
    Cafe Teria in the northeast it is sarcasm like Tarshay is to Target

Ding ding ding - we got a winnahh.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    edited October 2011
    I have to say I am reasonably impressed with this Regal rental. It handles pretty decently, steering isn't bad at all, it is quiet at high speeds, seems very well assembled, mileage is acceptable. On the other hand, although It's hard for me to make reasonable performance comparisons as my normal daily driver is in a different league, the transmission hunts around a bit at low speeds, it doesn't like to hold itself in place very well on hills, spec sheets have it very close in weight range to my E55, the interior "black" and shiftgate trim are insane fingerprint magnets, and the direct injection noises aren't reassuring. A comparison with the turbo would be interesting.

I also haven't seen another on the road yet, which is cool to me.
  • Options
    Walked through my hotel parking lot - spotted 1x Aveo Rio and Accent, 2x Forte, 2x Camry, 2x Avenger, 2x Impala, 1x Caliber, 1x Durango, 1x Yukon, and my Buick.
  • Options
    Took the Regal rental to a car wash again today as the dead bug count was annoying me...car wash worker actually asked me about the car, he thought it was pretty sharp (in bright white). Surprising from a guy in hi early 20s. Car continues to hold together fine for 20K rental miles now (I've probably put nearly 10% of those on it myself), but I am still not used to the low end lack of acceleration and the 4cyl noises.
  • Options
    You're plaing your cards wrong buddy. When it gets all buggy, forget popping for a car wash. Take it back and say its not running right and get something else instead.
  • Options
    Nah, I put some work into cleaning the interior glass, and I don't mind the car at all - don't want to bother going back to get another, not to mention I could end up with something I don't want. I'm happy with it, esp for the rate I paid.

From what I can tell it has been registered for 8 months now - will likely be out of the fleet soon.
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    So it's the non-turbo model?

I've actually been putting this car on my "next car" list....maybe...

Since you drive a RWD powerhouse, and know what a good car should be, what's your opinion of the driving dymanics of the FWD Regal?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Non turbo base CXL model (I don't think we get a cloth model), with 18xxx undoubtedly harsh rental miles on it when I got it, and will have around 21K when it is handed back. My opinion of the car is generally favorable. Handling and steering feel are fine for a FWD car, higher speed acceleration is good but off the line is nothing special and not what I am used to. My main annoyance is the transmission, which hunts around a bit much and seems to shift when not needed sometimes - but it has an easy to use manual mode too. The 6th gear is no doubt the saving grace for cruising.

Build quality is high, with these rough miles on it, it is still very tight and quiet. Material quality is good, seats are nice and kind of Germanic, but the lower hard plastic door panels are cheap feeling. Switchgear is good quality. On highway runs have easily hit or passed 30mpg (not exactly sure as I could never completely reset the computer as the car lacks a manual). I'd like it more maybe if it had some more lower end torque, and maybe xenons as normal lighting looks cheap on what is supposed to be a mildly premium car.

I have seen these things in screamer print ads for like 22-23K - probably a good deal at that price and an unusual alternative to a similar Camcord - the Regal is an uncommon sight and not bad looking.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Yeah, I could see fintail going back to trade the Regal for something else...and gets a Sonata! EEK! :surprise:
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    To be honest, had it been between the Regal and a rental Genesis, I probably would have picked the Hyundai, especially as the Buick was kind of miled up and had weird (Louisiana) plates. But as my choices were pretty bland (old 300, old Charger which shouldn't be "premium", well equipped Taurus with funny smell, blah Lucerne, and some other forgettables), I was happy to get the Buick. There were a couple Sonatas on the rental aisle, but I booked a higher class.

Turned in the car this morning, behind me in line was a rental G37, around me were TONS of Corollas, and I noticed some Venzas in the fleet lines too. I also spotted a Hertz Prestige C-class.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Yes, Buick does make nice looking autos that look kinda sporty. From what I've read, the upcoming Verano looks like a winner but it is a bit pricey. But I really think that the wife will really like it once she drives it and it would be a great addition to the stable. And even though I'm not partial to white, we've had two already, the Buicks do look nice in white, especially the pearlized ones. I love the look of the pearlized paint better than the metallics we've had in the past...they look a bit more classy.

So I'd be pleased as punch for her to buy it.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Certainly better today than the Buicks of a mere decade ago, IMHO - they are in a revival mode like Cadillac.

I'm warming up more to white cars lately.

Here's my rental sled, nothing to be ashamed of for sure:

• Options
    White is the new silver.

I too am partial to white cars.
  • Options
    Took a long weekend trip with some friends. Rented a minivan and we go a loaded Chrysler T&C. The buff magazines have been pretty high on this vehicle with its improved interior and drivetrain. My driving experience indicates lipstick on a pig - cramped and crude. After an hour or so the seat is squishy. The suspension is alright over smooth highway, but throw in any rough or irregular surfaces and the ride becomes noisy, unsettled and primitative. The engine roars on any uphill, and if it is steep it seemed to kind of momentarily hesitate and then the engine howled as it revved up to around 5K on the tach. The van was black and IMO its styling resembled a hearse, which was quite appropriate because this vehicle drives like a decades old K car and ought to be buried.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Now I am even less wanting to ever drive a minivan. How many miles were on it?

I sure am in another world now being back in the E55 from that 4cyl Regal...effortless smooth acceleration is worth the mileage penalty :shades:
  • Options
    It was a 2011 T&C with only 18K on it. When our kids were in school we had an 04 Honda Ody. I used to complain about its noises. We traded it on a CRV when it had around 70K and I'd take it today over that new Chrysler in a heartbeat "as is"!!!
  • Options
    White is also a very forgiving color. You could key the car and the scratches hardly show. Black, on the other hand, is very unforgiving. You can see the impact crater from a dust partical from space!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A bit off-topic, but the frequent flyers here may enjoy this:

"It’s true that we have a team dedicated to transporting our highest value customers around the Atlanta hub and they’ve got a fleet of several vehicles with which to do so. As part of our partnership with Porsche (which includes shipping cars from Germany to Atlanta), they’ve provided us with a few fancy new rides to add to our VIP fleet."

Delta picking up pax in Porsches at ATL (The Ticket)
  • Options
    Sadly, you won't be able to rent them, just a perk given to already overpaid corporate types flying first class who aren't paying for the airfare, or are expensing it away anyway.

In Germany and France anyway, you actually can rent most of the normal Porsche fleet, I know Avis has a large Porsche fleet and I think Sixt has some as well. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than traditional exotic rental places.
  • Options
    If you plan to rent a car in the next month or three:

Free Upgrade With National Car Rental This link supposedly will get you the upgrade now through Jan. 2, 2012 that are otherwise unavailable.

Hertz Gold service for free — no $60 membership fee through March 31, 2012.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sadly the National upgrade offer never goes up to Premium or Luxury classes where National has some nice offerings - Infinitis, Volvos, etc.

The Hertz deal is decent and it was even better a few months ago. I've heard their fleet isn't what it used to be in some cases.
  • Options
    New Passat is now in the National fleet as full size, that's a new rental model for NA....Jettas have been around for a year or two I think.
  • Options
    I've heard that Avis will now carry the BMW 5er in its US fleet. That could be a nice unit to have for a road trip, assuming they don't limit mileage.
  • Options
    "This past summer, Enterprise, the largest rental company, announced a major electric vehicle rollout. You can now rent everything from a Nissan Leaf to a Peugeot iOn. And Hertz expanded its electric car fleet in 2011 to include the Chevrolet Volt, the Smart ED and the Tesla Roadster.

The American Car Rental Association, a trade group, expects more puzzled looks from customers as they rent these new vehicles. But its members have had some experience fielding the questions. "Let's face it," says Sharon Faulkner, the group's executive director. "It doesn't even have to be an electric car, or a specialty unit, for customers to be confused."

Hybrids, microcars puzzle consumers (Seattle Times)
  • Options
    Not bad, but you'll get a moderately at best equipped Escape, most likely...although might get a lucky upgrade.
  • Options
    Went by the local Enterprise this morning, varied and random assortment sitting on the lot: Accent, Focus, Malibu, Accord, S60, Jetta, Corolla.
  • Options
    Walked by a hotel based Hertz this morning - Yaris, Aveo, 2x Versa, Corolla, Camry, Altima, 2x Chrysler minivans, and as an odd outlier, an Escalade.
  • Options
    Leading rental car company in Europe is slowly invading, opens a branch in ATL...they sometimes have very good rates on highline cars. I'm going to Florida to get heatstroke in June, and have reserved a car through them.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Jonesing for a supercar for $1,800 a day eh? Maybe some other players will join in and drag the prices down a bit.

Hertz U.K. Premieres McLaren MP4-12C Rental (Inside Line)
  • Options
    I don't think my Amex insurance will cover that - although for what it is, not the most insane rate especially as Hertz can be pricey for any car. Exotic rentals in Vegas, Miami, etc can cost as much and aren't nearly as exotic.
  • Options
    I'm going to Florida to get heatstroke in June

If you're on the coasts there is usually breeze so its not that bad. But if you're inland like Orlando, the air is dead and it can be tough especially for someone visitning from a rather mild climate. If you get a convertible, keep your eye on the sky in the afternoon because the downpours come quickly and it can be like getting water poured on you from a pitcher. Personally, I'd prefer summer in the southwest to the southeast. It gets hotter, but the humidity is much lower.
  • Options
    I plan to stick to the coasts most of the time unless I take a road trip to visit my friend in ATL. Reserved an E-class from that German rental car company at a fantastic rate, should be a nice drive. If they upgrade me to a cabrio, I won't complain. I'll probably end up in California later in the year.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Had to make a last-minute trip to New Orleans.. ;) We decided to drive, but neither of us wanted to worry about our own vehicle, so we rented..

Had my pick of the Emerald Aisle at National. The only requirements were decent gas mileage and enough oomph to keep up with 85 mph traffic... Came down to an Altima or a Sonata.. Took the Altima.. 1700 mile round trip.

Acceleration was okay...slower than the Camry we had for our last trip.. Car tracked straight, but felt pretty unsettled on high speed curves.. We mostly had the cruise set on 80 mph... and, averaged 30 mpg for the trip.

Car had 543 miles on the odometer when we left... total bill: $194, including all taxes and fees... not bad for 1750 miles..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Interesting offer from Hertz...still not exactly cheap, but takes some of the sting off.
  • Options
    I bet Hertz does a brisk business when a high school reunion takes place with this one!
  • Options
    Ha, I had thought the same thing. Too bad you can't rent higher than E-class or GL from a major chain company, at least not in NA.

My 20th is coming up in a few years...maybe I'll take an extended test drive in an SLS...or drive the fintail.
  • Options
    Heck, I've driven my 1989 Cadillac Brougham to my last couple reunions. Nothing spells class like a well-cared for older luxury car.
  • Options
    That's true - when I see an old lady in a mint 126 it reeks more of money and class to me than some financial sector criminal in a new CL.

I could get one of these for the price of a new C-class ...hmmm....

• Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    My 20th is coming up in a few years...maybe I'll take an extended test drive in an SLS...or drive the fintail.

My 30th is this summer .. and I'll probably drive the folks' Hyundai, since I'm flying in from Colorado.
  • Options
    Oh, rent a nice Corvette and pose, that's what it's all about, right? :shades:

I didn't go to my 10th - it wasn't enough time to make it interesting. I'll probably go from now on, enough years to make changes.
  • Options
    Oh, rent a nice Corvette and pose

Until they see the barcode sticker and your carriage turns into a pumpkin! Seriously, I think by the 20th people do start chilling out as they have so much more in life to focus on.
  • Options
    Yeah, I can spot a rental from 50 yards...but no doubt many do it. Maybe remove the codes and say the sticker "fell off" :shades: or get a car with a sticker that can be hidden.
  • Options
    Seriously, I think by the 20th people do start chilling out as they have so much more in life to focus on.

I skipped my 10th ... wasn't in the right frame of mind, mentally, to go. Did attend my 20th and now my 30th is this summer.

What's interesting is that I have classmates with grandkids and others who still have children in elementary school.

No need to pose - I am who I am at this point in my life.
  • Options
    The only time I get to see classmates these days is at funerals.
  • Options
    The only time I get to see classmates these days is at funerals.

Yikes! You're close to my age, aren't you?

My graduating class was around 185 or so. I know of a handful that have passed away.
  • Options
    seank2seank2 Member Posts: 79
    I'm one of those that "lurks" and reads more than I post, but having just returned from an extended weekend trip to upstate New York, and seeing all the rentals in the garage, I had to chime in.

Thanks to the Emerald Aisle at National, and one of their coupons, I got 4 days at the Intermediate rate, for $66.00 total. I was at the Albany, NY airport, so no "aisle" per se, but the clerk in the booth gave me the choice of an Altima or a Malibu. Or, for an additional $100 per DAY, i could have the shiny X3. I stuck with the black on black Altima.

Overall, not a bad car, a little underpowered in the Adirondacks, as I was about 60 miles up the Northway to Lake George, and the CVT tends to rev excessively in the hills. We ended up driving 350 miles, and spent $36 to fill it back up before returning.

Walking through the garage to get to the terminal, I had to go through the Hertz lot, which was filled with all sorts of unique things: Mustang GT coupes (x2), Camaro coupes, including a "bumblebee" yellow SS, myriad Explorers, C class Benz, and a GL450 with Tennessee tags. Oddly, they had very few "mainline" cars in their lot (Impalas, Malibus, Corollas etc).

I was thrilled at the awesome deal I got on the car, and it almost made me wish I had my former job with lots of travel opportunities.