Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• dc1225dc1225 Member Posts: 53
    For future consideration, I may consider Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, RX350, Honda Pilot, GMC Acadia. Not sure what years yet but won't be new. Maybe 2007 or so...

Isn't Honda Pilot same as our MDX though? Same problems?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    For most of those I would recommend the 4runner instead. In the price class of the RX350 I would recommend a base V6 Porsche Cayenne. FYI prior to 2010 the RX3X0 series did not have anything close to reasonable "F/awd" functionality. Even the 2010 and after RX350 does not have the level of F/awd functionality that the SH-AWD system has, not even close.
  • sunny52sunny52 Member Posts: 4
    So, I should probably not buy the 2012 MDX. Darn. I was really in love with MDX but there is no way in hell I want tranny problems down the road. It's a good thing I googled "2012 MDX problems" and found this forum because I was planning on going to the dealer this Sat. lol. Does anyone have other vehicle suggestions? Thanks!
  • kerlow66kerlow66 Member Posts: 3
    Have you checked out the new VW touaregs,i have a 05 v8 and shes pretty solid.just regular oil changes.
  • kerlow66kerlow66 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the quick reply,i am from socal so i guess i'll just bring it to a shop and tell them to remove the drive shaft,also do you know of anyone on the forums who has done this mod? My transmission overheated over the weekend then had to replace the atf and also used BARS transmission repair fluid and no BS it sounds like the car is running like a top no more jerking,vibrations or shudering.dunno how long this fix will work thou.
  • sunny52sunny52 Member Posts: 4
    I really like the 12 but sadly it only has room for 5. :( I love the interior and navi placement. It is simple and clean cut.
    If you have pockets deep enough to consider the MDX then the Porsche Cayenne base V6 might be an alternate. Nothing against VW other than it just is not a Porsche.
  • pam53pam53 Member Posts: 1
    My MDx has 138,000miles and now has a grinding noise when I accelerate around 40mph. I have had it to several mechanics to check it. The first told me it was cracked engine mounts and sharged me $800 to fix. It didnt fix it at all. the next mechanic said that he heard the noise and looked but visually did not see anything. He put it on the computer and got codes that alerted to the VSA system which he said I would need to take to dealer (I have hesitated to take to dealer because in the past their prices were OUTRAGEOUS and I felt ripped off) I saw in other posts about the torque converter. Does this sound like a possibility? I saw a TSB about it but no official recall. Anyone have any idea how much this would cost me to fix out of warranty? I assume I have no chance at getting it fixed for free or low cost since the TSB? Any advise is much appreciated!! Wondering if now I should just trade it in:(
    That sounds like transmission could be the issue. I think repair costs are $2000 for non dealership and $4000 at dealership
  • mdx2012mdx2012 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2012 MDX 2 weeks ago. Found the transmission shift is not smooth, especially in low gear, like a manual transmission gear engage. Also, at around 30MPH or lower speed, if I release the gas pedal, when the speed goes down, sometimes you can feel little shock like brake is taken (looks like the gear is down shift). I didn't feel any of those symptoms when test-drived another car before bought this one. After reading all those post, I'm a little worried, is this a symptom of a bad transmission or torque converter? Should I go to dealer ask them to check it? This is a NEW car, man :mad: ! Thanks for any advice.
    Modern automatics do not downshift into 1st gear until the vehicle comes to a full and complete STOP.

Unless....

You happen to be doing a "rolling stop"' and thereby re-apply foot pressure to the gas pedal before, or just before, the vehicle comes to a FULL stop. Then you will definitely get a SLAM into 1st gear.

"..like brake is taken.."

You're experiencing the newly adopted "coastdown full fuel cut"

During closed throttle coastdown periods the engine is STARVED of fuel. In order to keep the engine turning over fast enough that a simple restoration of fuele flow will "restart" it the transmission will be downshifted, sequentiually, again and again, as roadspeed declines.

It is these downshifts that result in a slight level of engine compression braking that feel as if the brakes are being lightly applied.

At some point the roadspeed will become to low and fuel flow will be restored while at the same time the transmission is upshifted to alleviate engine compression loading.

It's that last upshift at fuel flow restoration that feels as if the brakes have partially released. It is also that last upshift that often gets in the way of your need for 1st gear acceleration if you happen to try to re-accelerate at the "wrong" moment.
  • mdx2012mdx2012 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Yes, I can feel slight level brake after release gas pedal. If I keep giving some gas during slowing down, it is more smooth. Thank you very much for your knowledgeable explanation. Hopefully this is not a transmission issue. I'll watch on it. Anyway, this symptom is annoying especially in traffic. Don't know why they can not make it more smooth!
  • dclark6dclark6 Member Posts: 4
    No, I used 87. I was told it should be ok when I bought the car.
  • donlrobdonlrob Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 MDX and at 97000 miles, after towing my MDX behind my motor home on a trip to FL, I began to experience shifting noises. after lots of research I found that the 2003 MDX transmission had a know problem with lubrication of gears when towed. Don't know if yours has been towed but wanted to respond. The local Acura dealer replaced my transmission at no charge and I was out of warranty.
    USE PREMIUM GAS ONLY IN MDX!!!!
  • craigv23craigv23 Member Posts: 1
    Really? Nice! Did you say anything special to get it replaced for free out of warranty or did the dealer give any reason for his good grace?
  • boxerboyzboxerboyz Member Posts: 2
    Def the torque converter and its not cheap to fix over $1k. My 05 had the same problem and after replacement the noise was gone.
  • richard20031richard20031 Member Posts: 2
    For a few months my 2006 MDX with 81000 miles has made a gurgling noise at 1500 RPM.
    Completely goes away when I let off the gas or go faster to higher rpm.
    What the heck is this?
    I just got a letter from Acura concerning a product update concerning transmission judder.
    Is that what this is?
    Thanks
  • tsreybtsreyb Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Hoping folks could correct any possible misunderstandings I might have of the '03 tranny woes:

Transmissions are designed for specific models. You don't just put a generic transmission in any car - it has to be THE transmission designed for THAT model (& year). The only option for our car is the transmission as designed by Acura for an MDX (more specifically, for an '03 MDX). True??

The '03 X tranny problems are *design problems*. So, regardless as to whether it is new or rebuilt, from Acura or, say, from AAMCO, it still is a transmission with a design flaw (as opposed to a problem on the assembly line or poor quality part) True??

A new or rebuilt transmission for the 03 X is *still* susceptible to the same failure. In other words, a new/rebuilt transmission is no better (and no worse) than what came with the vehicle in '03. True??

Thanks!
    Bubbles, air bubbles, possibly, in the hoses leading to/from the heater core. Sometimes a gurgling noise can be heard in those hoses even without bubbles.
    The problem, "base" problem, is much more likely the result of the rear drive being engaged pre-emptively, however mostly un-necessarily. The most likely time for loss of driven wheel traction or loss of directional control resulting from loss of traction is during low speed acceleration, in a tight turn, or in an accelerating turn.

So it is at those times that the MDX VTM-4 system, or the newer SH-AWD system, will pre-emptively engage the rear drive clutches in order to significantly reduce the MDX's, or any FWD or F/awd, strong propensity for loss of directional control should a slippery surface be encounter.

The fly in that ointment, for most of us, is that the clear majority of the time the road surface will be HIGHLY tractive, leading to an extreme stress level for the entire driveline for the duration of the level, high level, of rear drive engagement.

Which leads me to suspect that Acura, along with installing a new or rebuilt transaxle, will/would also "quietly" reflash the TC, Traction Control. firmware such that the "awd" stress level is significantly lowered.

Some vehicles, FWD to F/awd "conversions, Ford Escape/Mariner/Tribute as examples, have a temperature sensors so as to warn the driven that the driveline is being overstressed to much, to often, and the driver is caution to stop and wait for the driveline components to cool down.
  • mistatmistat Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Signed up just to contribute another confirmation of transmission problems on an Acura.

I have a 2004 Acura MDX with 160,000 miles that is now in need of a $5000 transmission replacement.

Regular check ups, had one at 150,000, replaced the timing belt and all with no avail.

NEVER EVER EVER BUY an Acura MDX - look how many people are having issues, and honestly I've had a number of other expensive issues earlier.
  • jslivonjslivon Member Posts: 57
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. I'd never buy an Acura either after the same problems with our 2003 transmission and the info on this blog.

I hate to break the bad news, but your motor mounts are probobly broken and the front lower ball joints are shot.

Our next car will be a Ford.
  • curious52curious52 Member Posts: 15
    I am in deep sympathy with those of you who are having all of these MDX transmission problems-- particularly those cars within the early 2000 years. I have a 2010 (new design) for which the torque converter had to be replaced at 35,000 miles; but of course I was lucky to have this covered under warranty. The issue is that Acura has failed to address the problem square on. I don't do business with ayone who dodges bullits. Although this is my sixth Acura from the same dealer, I've told them I won't be back for the seventh. I'm considering jumping to the new Ifiniti JX when the time comes. Today in cars, its all about reliabiliy. My MDX isn't.
  • 22332233 Member Posts: 64
    I too will never buy another Acura after my experience with 2 transmission melt downs. The customer service was terrible after these debacles.

I now own 2 Infinitis and my next vehicle will either be a sedan or crossover from Infiniti or BMW.
    With the newer models, 2010+, Acura is probably playing a numbers game.

The failures will likely be primarily south of the snow belt, and for MDX drivers with somewhat of a lead foot. Lots of time with the rear drive engaged, driveline STRESSED, and mostly on highly tractive surfaces.

On the flip side those north of the snow belt will really appreciate the wintertime roadability, driveability, using the revised, more robust F/awd performance, rear drive control firmware.

Again, I would much prefer a system that could be switched off thereby avoiding the needless, unwarranted, stressing of the driveline when traction conditions are KNOWN to be "solid".

But the public, overall, seems to be buying fully into this automatic PART-TIME F/awd design.
  • bigmistakebigmistake Member Posts: 1
    I have the same grinding issue with my new used 2008 MDX. I took it to our nearest Acura dealer to get them check out (3x already) along with the P0847 code that was on the diagnostic info. They are aware of the problem but in total denial. They'll turn you away if you're not persistent. MDX is not cheap, so we all deserved a quality car in return. We should all call the Official Acura tel. # (1-800-382-2238) to file a complain. Everyone seemed to have the same issues as far back as I can read in this forum - TRANSMISSION related issues (the grinding/hesitation noise). ACURA needs to recognize that this is a major transmission design issues (whether the torque converter, sensor, ect.).

In all the cars I had, MDX is the WORST and it's not worth the money. The biggest mistake car purchase I've done so far. GAS MILEAGE also sucks!
    She said more than 500 owners have contacted her through her website, DontSettleWithHonda.org, which explains how Peters filed her lawsuit against the automaker.

Peters said she planned to reactivate her state law license so that she can represent other Civic owners in litigation against Honda.
    yup. I am not going to purchase Acura anymore. They've lost me as a customer. I am moving on to Lexus. Lexus is only slightly more than Acura. With Acura, you'd basically have to have Extended Warranty for as long as you own the vehicle. With that extended warranty money, I'll spend it on Lexus.

Screw Honda/Acura. I hope another Tsunami wipes out the Honda plants.

I don't have the time nor the resources to do this but something you may want to consider. I only paid $22k for my car on used mdx. If I had spent another 20K on new Acura, I would be suing them in small claims court, no doubt.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/04/small-claims-court_n_1317241.html

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/02/car-owner-heather-mills-sues-honda-- - over-2006-civic-hybrid-mileage-claims-and-wins.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/02/business/la-fi-autos-honda-lawsuit-20120- - 202
  • littlebitslittlebits Member Posts: 5
    Took my 2010 MDX for service and one recall notice. While I was there I was informed that there was another recall for the transmission fluid. Long story short, Acura is fully aware of the problems addressed here in this forum. I too complained to the dealer regarding the delay/hesitation between gears. The dealership kept insisting this was normal and I even test drove two other MDX (2010 and 2011) to see if this was true. According to my service rep this change of fluid should help with this delay/hesitation. Recall notices are on their way to 2010-2012 owners. Feel free to contact your dealership. I have not received mine however the dealership was very proactive in getting it serviced and corrected while I was there on March 10th.

I am debating trading in my car before something major happens. From what I continue to read in this forum I do not want to wait until it's too late.

Good luck to us all!
    edited March 2012
    "..I am moving on to Lexus..."

From the frying pan and into the FIRE.

I have now been closely watching, monitoring this FWD to F/awd issue for nie onto 12 years. Insofar as I know, can tell, there NO manufacturer that has as of yet solved this "equation" suscessfully.

With the advent of the introduction of the '01 RX300 Lexus was forced to, HAD to, totally abandon the new F/awd system that they initially introduced with the '99 RX300. Even with these changes, major changes, it wasn't until the adoption of DBW with the new RX330 that the driveline, mostly transaxle, failures declined to an acceptable (to Lexus) level.

In the meantime RX300 owners were left without a functional F/awd system. In 2010 Lexus switched to an entirely new F/awd system, the one Ford, Escape/Mariner, had earlier encountered so many problems with. Ford is solving their problem by simply dropping the product line.

It remains to be seen whether the new RX350 F/awd system will pass muster. Lexus has added an ability to lock the system in "awd" mode but my guess is that will soon be discontinued, if that isn't already in the works.

Driver's in the general case CANNOT be relied upon to make judicious, reasonable, use of that "awd" functionality, and most certainly cannot be relied upon to always remember to turn it off once the slippage condition has passed.
  • my4thhondamy4thhonda Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    My MDX is 146k miles and starting to give me the "Shuddering" sound when driven between 25-45 MPH. Today I had Acura dealer look at it for $ 125.00 charge and said it is the Torque Converter issue and plus few others, here is the list:

Torque Converter: $2700.00
    Front and Right side Engine Mounts: $ 550.00 (with TC change)

I declined the work for now. I am thinking calling AHM and also looking for any firm willing to do a Class Action. If there is a Class Action already in works ..please let me know..Thanks
    You'll need a new/rebuilt transmission; $4,500

Also, two motor mounts are broke, not one. If you never had the timing belt or spark plugs replaced at 110k miles, it's overdue. You'll also need new front lower control arms & balljoints.

I have 160k miles my 2003 MDX and it's very well maintained. I'm speaking from experience. I forced the transmission issue with our dealer at 110k miles and they got Acura to pay 90% of they trans. cost.

You'll just have to decide if it's worth keeping.
  • jlp2008mdxjlp2008mdx Member Posts: 1
    What did you end up finding out was wrong? What was wrong with the transmission causing that grinding noise? I have experienced a similar issue with my 2008 MDX where it has on a few occasions made that noise after driving on the highway for a couple of hours. Like a grinding/whining noise.
    that grinding/whining noise is def. torque converter problem in transmission.
  • ih8acuraih8acura Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 MDX with 111,000 miles on it. Last week as I was driving to work my MDX red lined and started to lose speed. Fortunately, I was right next near an off ramp and was able to pull off safely while coasting. But just like all the other posts on here, it was because of a broken transmission.

I received quotes to have it rebuilt ranging from $2500 - $3500. That price varied by the length of the warranty.

I contacted the Acura dealership to see if there was a possibility they would be able to assist in covering part of the cost to get it fixed. The guy in the service department I spoke with was very dismissive. It was almost as if he was on the defensive from dealing with other people who have had this issue. Either way, I'd expect more courtesy from a dealership I spent $40k at.

My fear is that if I invest so much into my MDX now to fix this issue, how much will I have to spend next year and the year after. It seems like the MDX just turns into a money pit once this problems start to occur.

On the converse, if I trade in my MDX for a new vehicle (it def. wont be for another Acura) I will have to spend money on monthly payments for the next 60 months. It seems like a no win situation.

... For the record, I purchased my MDX from Springfield Acura in Springfield, NJ.

Maybe if we start posting the name of our dealerships, they will step up to the plate and contact Acura to complain that their business are being hurt for selling vehicles which have known defective parts. Or at the very least, bring the shotty customer service to their attention.
    Many others in this forum who have had the same trouble you've reported have also run into rudeness at Acura dealers/service managers. You are right-- they are tired of MDX torque converter complaints. It is shocking that Acura has failed to address this issue with older MDX vehicles. I have a 2010 MDX which developed a faulty TC at just 35,000. A replacement was made under warrenty. But about two months ago, I received an "advisory" saying that software for the transmission needed attention. The lack of honesty and the rude behavior will (after my purchase of six Acuras overr the years) will be steering me to the new medium sized SUV now offered by Infiniti. Check it out.
    edited April 2012
    My best guess would be that now that the MDX models with the SH-AWD system are also having TC failures the software revision will involve less "robustness", lowering the functionality, of the SH-AWD system.

Less functionality of the system = lower driveline stress/HEAT overall.
  • spicydocspicydoc Member Posts: 14
    I have been looking to buy a new Acura MDX. My question is do I have to be concerned and go for another brand if Honda and Acura have had bad records on REALLY to keep value due to transmission problems for many years of their cars?
    I am looking to buy a new Acura MDX. With the transmission problems of past Acura and Honda cars, should I be concerned and buy another brand instead?

Are the new Acura MDX free from their transmission defects now? Do anybody know?
    thanks.
    Acura has behaved very badly about a torque converter problem that has plagued owners of MDX vehciles from 2002 until now. Mine has had a software update which was essentially the result of a recall, but Acura shaded the word by using "advisory." But in a word, I'm disgusted.
    You should look very seriously at Infiniti's new JX SUV which promises to be everything the MDX has been and more. That is what my next SUV will be. Good luck.
    I own a 2003 MDX and had transmission problems. I won't buy a Honda/Acrura any more. Look at Lexus or a Ford product.
    if you do make sure you cover your self with "lifetime warranty" whatever the cost. TC will go out on you just matter of when.
  • ih8acuraih8acura Member Posts: 2
    Spicydoc,

I would reconsider purchasing an MDX, or any Honda/Acrua, at this time. From what I've seen, pretty much everyone on this forum has experienced issues within only a few years of purchasing an MDX. For a "luxury" vehicle that costs upwards of $40k, one would expect that it will last for at least 10 years before any serious issues occur. If this was an isolated incident, that's one thing but after reading all these posts I'm realizing that we all got taken advantage of.

This experience really opened my eyes to always do serious due diligence before purchasing another vehicle.
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I purchased a 08 RL, and last year we purchased a 11 MDX. I additionally purchased for $ 600 an extended warranty. I never got extended warranties on any of my 40 + cars over the years, however, I began to read these blogs and other blogs and I concluded that I had better COA which I do with an extra $ 6-800 and get the warranty. Paid off last year when the 08 had a new tranny part put in at their cost less my $100.

And I know one thing, I will not ever want to pay $ 2000 because I failed to get an extended warranty. And I know that for an extra amount of cash, I won't get stuck again. i.e. If I pay 50k for the car, what does it really matter for an extra $1300-1500? And maybe I am just throwing my $$ away but I can sleep better at night. JMO.

Good luck to all and stay safe. :)

jensad
    You simply cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.....

When you begin the design process with a "base" FWD vehicle there are a few problems that simply cannot be overcome. The base problem arises due to the fact that there is as of yet no way to predict, detect, upcoming wheelspin/slip due to the use of more engine torque than would be allowed by the current level of roadbed traction.

So, the current design solution is to REMOVE engine torque from the front wheels at those times when wheelspin/slip is most likely to result, and therefore raise the probability of loss of directional control. The problem with that approach is the fact that 70-98% of the time that simply results in undue stress on driveline components.

There can be no doubt that the SH-AWD system is the best of the best of these designs. What is needed IMMHO is a driver operated switch that temporarily enables the operation of the system ONLY until the vehicle reaches ~20MPH and then automatically switches off of itsself.
    Yup-
    Your explanation sounds absolutely on the money. Now, let's find a way to convince Torrence.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    edited April 2012
    According to the Consumer Reports' Reliability ratings, the MDX transmission scores "Much Better Than Average" (highest rating) consecutively from '07 through '11. The '06 model year is "Much Better Than Average" for "transmission major" but just average for "transmission minor". Since the MDX is a pretty strong seller I doubt if these very positive ratings are due to small sample sizes. Not saying that some owners are not experiencing problems because they obviously are, but I think it's safe to say that they are in the minority, at least starting in '07.
    It was somewhere within that timeframe that the MDX was switched from the VTM-4 system to the apparently less driveline component stressful SH-AWD system.
    I read on US News ranking of cars (seems to be review of reviews) that Acura MDX's reliability rating for 2012 was only 3.5 stars out of 5, which I think is not very good. I am not sure how much transmission contributed to this problem.

Are you familiar with the torque converter issue - its current status, I mean, problem corrected or not? seems unacceptable number of complaints in very new cars.