Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• dc1225dc1225 Member Posts: 53
    post the info on here if you guys get anywhere....I'll throw my hat in the ring
  • fellowes1fellowes1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm with you and have been waiting for someone to start this process. Acura continues to ignore the many complaints about their transmission even with vehicle under warranty. I have tries many times to discuss transmission issues among other things but they have simply refused to listen. I don't think Acura believes we the consumers can impact their image and sales but we can if our voices are heard collectively.
  • carsmine01carsmine01 Member Posts: 4
    Just dropped off my 2004 with 79k for dealer to test. Had the standard 25-45 mph rumble. Car drives and shifts fine...but noise was getting worse over the last 30 days. Dealership is claiming they have had very few come in with any issues (10 over the last 5 years). Told Acura my expectation is for a large percentage (if not all) be covered under recall or warranty. They said the recall was merely to "flash" (reprogram) the system but this did not include my vehicle. Service rep was nice about the process and gave us a loaner car as well. Hoping for the best regarding Acura picking up the tab but will keep you all posted.
    edited August 2011
    Well guess what...they came back and said they found some metel shavings in the transmission fluid and said the tranny and torque converter needs to be replaced. They quoted over 4k for the repair with no discount. They are going to corporate to see about getting Acura to pay some or all of the repair. More to come.

Funny though....questions they asked me.
    (1) Where do you have the car serviced? (Firestone & Acura)
    (2) Where did you purchase the car? (outright from individual)
    (3) What # owner are you? (2nd)
    (4) How long do you think the transmission should last? (over 150k if not a lifetime)
    (5) How much do you think Acura should be liable for? (90-100%)
    (6) Do you have all the records? (Some - But not all)
    Email sent. I'm in for whatever is needed to pursue Acura about this.
  • dsr6079dsr6079 Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a used MDX but am afraid to after reading all of these messages! I have a 99 Acura TL that I've had for years and no major problems--love the Acura. I know there are always lemons out there so you can't go by just a few. However, this transmission issue has me concerned!
    I too have been a faithful Honda/Acura owner with ZERO issues. The MDX WILL have transmission problems so factor the 4500+ into your car payment. Or...STAY AWAY. Check out the Mercedes M-Class or Lexus RX330+. Acura is not coming clean and confirming they have transmission problems. Corporate office refused liability and said they can only offer me 40% coverage so I'm stuck with a heafty bill. They are also saying the motor mounts are cracked so I need to pay for that repair too. I'm going to keep pusing Acura to do whats right....if not, i'm selling this piece of trash in along with my accord. SEE YA HONDA!!!!!!!!!!
  • unhappykrisunhappykris Member Posts: 3
    Hi sotopla,

good idea, after my software update, I am getting much less MPG - they just made the 5th come on at 45 MPH instead of 39 MPH!

we need to talk to a good trial lawyer who will do the legwork to collect everyone from this list and other customer links.
    Thanks
  • unhappykrisunhappykris Member Posts: 3
    All,

I got the software "upgrade" done on my 2005, since then my MPG has fallen from 19 to 14!
    This is due to the fact that they simply made the 5th engage at 45 MPH instead of 37 MPH or so previously. This took care of the symptom of the chatter in the tranny, but did not fix the problem. This only made my MDX get me gas millage as poor as a huge Amarda or the Chevy Suburban! I bought the Acura mostly because it was an SUV with good MPGs!

sotopla on these posts has a great idea - let's all get together and have a Class Action suite!
    Thanks
    :mad:
    :mad:
  • dmortazdmortaz Member Posts: 26
    I came across Service Bulletin : SB-06-050 on the NTSB board when I searched for 2004 MDX problems and this service bulletin talks about "Warranty Extensions" for 2002-2006 models as part of a class action law suite settlement. This one was filled on May 09, 2008.

But I am not sure if Acura folks are honoring this settlement, since it does NOT specifically talk about "transmission" problems in the "summary" section of the Service Bulletin.

Has anyone have full copy of this Service Bulletin and what it covers!?
    I came across Service Bulletin : SB-06-050 on the NTSB board when I searched for 2004 MDX problems and this service bulletin talks about "Warranty Extensions" for 2002-2006 models as part of a class action law suite settlement. This one was filled on May 09, 2008.

But I am not sure if Acura folks are honoring this settlement, since it does NOT specifically talk about "transmission" problems in the "summary" section of the Service Bulletin.

Has anyone have full copy of this Service Bulletin and what it covers!?
  • schultz9998schultz9998 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I don't have seat memory buttons on my door. Can they be added?
    That lawsuit was for Honda/Acura's "bloated" MPG statement. Basically the lawsuit said that Acura, actually Honda, inflated their MPG statement. So Honda said it got 18 mpg, when it really got 16mpg, so the factory warranty was extended from 75k to 76k.
  • crispenocrispeno Member Posts: 1
    Weird as I have the same problem - 2003 MDX 105k miles and tranny failed out of the blue on the freeway - called the dealership and they said to bring it in and see what they can do and since I have had service there they would call the company and see what can be done - any updat eon your problem as I go in tomorrow to see what they found - thanks
  • acroacro Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 mdx and just replaced the transmission at a cost of 4k. I can see people want to get a lawsuit going and that idea sounds good. how bout creating a facebook page with a name like acura problems or whatever name sounds good and will come up when typing acura in search..we can then share with friends and then inform acura headquarters that this can have a great affect on thier bottom line..unless they change their policy on fixing the issues that come with the car...just a thought and would like ideas or input ~ Thanks
  • madmommy3madmommy3 Member Posts: 28
    There is a lawsuit facebook book page going and multiple complaint pages.
    Hey I deleted my facebook acct and don't plan on signing up again. Can you give us updates regarding the lawsuit on facebook? on here?
  • charmainejcharmainej Member Posts: 1
    My transmission is out on my Acura MDX. What the update on the law suit
  • madmommy3madmommy3 Member Posts: 28
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Acura-MDX-Malfunctioning-Transmission/18671587- 1347823

that is the facebook page discussing people to gather for legal remedy.

Quote from the page "A class action suit is being started. Please send your contact info and reference this facebook page as the referral source. This is specifically for the transmission/ torque converter failures. [email protected]" the page referenced is as follows:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Owners-Dealing-with-Acura-MDX-Problems/1356847- 43139321
  • ga2010mdxga2010mdx Member Posts: 5
    Hi there,

So it's 2011 and we have a 2010 MDX with some weird acting transmission. Other than shifting not being as smooth as should be and choppy at times, the RPMs will actually go up and down sometimes when just cruising straight down the road. The RPMs may jump as much as 200RPM out of the blue or even starting to pulsate going up and down randomly.

We did go to the dealer yesterday and they claimed there was nothing unusual. I asked to check if there was a transmission SW update and in fact there is one, that we got. However, it didn't solve the issue.

They also made me drive another one with abour the same milage (just shy of 25,000) and it did NOT fluctuate in the RPMs like ours.

Did any of you experience this or is everything fine now?

Thanks.
    Your case is proof positive that Acura might still be selling defective transmission! I would recommend you visit NTSA website below and see what recall or Safety Bulletins have been issued for your specific model.

Armed with that information, you might be able to get Acura to service your car which should still be under warranty.

But if I were, I would sell it and get a Lexus before it's too late since this transmission will eventually fail you!

http://www.nhtsa.gov/
    It seems something is def not right. RPM shouldn't be bouncing like that. Could be number of little things like timing belt, vaccuum hose leaks, valves, tachometer, etc...I don't believe that seems like a transmission related but Im not a mechanic unfortunately. In your case, maybe take it to another acura dealer for diagnosis?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Might simply be moving in and out of 6th gear lockup depending on varying road conditions.
  • blflanablflana Member Posts: 1
    I would love info on the lawsuit information for the Acura Torque Converter/Transmission Issues not being handled by Acura. I am experiencing the same problems with my local dealer on my 2002 MDX. Please help!!
    Could be, but the 6th gear case I'm crusing at a highway up a small hill with a pretty stable grade, low enough to be handled in 6th gear. It has only started doing this recently.

Anyhow, our local Acura dealer will now take the car in and have a look at it for a couple of days. Let's see what happens.

Thanks!
  • dfk4dfk4 Member Posts: 2
    Had a similar problem with my '08 MDX- did the same thing as yours plus it made a rattling noise in the tranny at low speeds (when in 4/5 gear), along with a "whinning" noise. Started doing this around 23K miles (now has 26K).

Just got it back from the Dealer- bad torque converter (no hassles from the Dealer). Seems to be fine now.

Stick to your guns as a bad TC will eventually ruin the Transmission!!
  • gdmdx2010gdmdx2010 Member Posts: 1
    Acura definitely has a problem. My 2010 MDX has 25k miles and the EXACT issue you are describing (pulsating rpms, choppy shifting, searching for the "right gear") is happening to me. And it's especially noticeable when there is a slight load on the engine as you go up a small hill at a moderate speed (~40mph) and are in a low gear (5th or 6th). This transmission does everything it can to stay in 6th gear--even at ~35-40mph when it should go to a higher gear to get the rpms up & have more torque available. No doubt this transmission was programed to try to obtain better gas mileage-at the expense of proper/good performance. Taking my MDX in to be checked out by dealer on Monday 19th. Very concerned that this is a problem being "hushed" by Honda and can't be fixed. Does anyone think this could be a bad torque converter? I will bring this up to the dealer.

ga2010mdx, let your dealer know the exact same problem is occurring to me, and at the same mileage. I will post what I find out. Please post your findings too. Any input from someone knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated.
    edited September 2011
    "..(pulsating rpms, choppy shifting, searching for the "right gear")..."

SOP. Throughout the industry.

Several years ago the whole industry started trying to match the FE of a CVT with these new 6(10) speed automatics. That resulted in too much "shiftiness" and so now these automatics try to "hold" a given gear ratio even at times it is inappropriate to do so.

Mixed bag.
  • acuraowner5acuraowner5 Member Posts: 2
    The exact same thing happened to me with my 2010 MDX. I had about 26K when I noticed the same problem as yours. They updated the software and it did not resolve the issue. I took it back and I am now waiting on a new torque converter. I would take yours into the service department right away. There was another 2010 MDX in for the same issue.
  • questownquestown Member Posts: 11
    We bought a certified 2009 MDX with tech package with 20K miles. We noticed that there is a delay in pickup and acceleration. In our typical DC commute, we want to change lanes quickly and takeoff. I noticed that there is a drag/delay with MDX that is quite frustrating when you try to accelerate from a signal, stop sign or change lanes. I took it to the dealership twice and they blamed it on the quality of fuel. I am using premium (93) and have been changing gas stations, so that is not an issue. They showed me the printout of tests they performed indicating that there is nothing wrong with the car. But I am still not convinced that a "luxury" SUV with 300+ HP cannot get good pickup. They said that these are "Drive by wire" technology to get maximum fuel efficiency! With all this technology, I am still averaging < 16 mpg!. I am very disappointed with our decision to buy MDX since this pickup issue is not getting resolved. Has any one else has this issue? What are my options?
  • acuraowner5acuraowner5 Member Posts: 2
    Take it back to the service department and ask them to look at the torque converter. My 2010 had the same issues as I stated above in my previous email. I have a 2010 loaner and I can't believe the pick up it has so it is obvious to me that my MDX had problems since I bought it. It is very disappointing but the Acura service department has been outstanding trying to find the issues and give me a loaner until the torque converter arrives next week. I have had the loaner for over two weeks at no charge. This is customer service.

Good Luck.
    Thanks acuraowner5. I am going to do that, but in my case the dealership was absolutely certain that there is no issue! I actually requested another MDX owner to drive mine and he agreed that there is a drag. I do not know how to convince the dealership since they refuse to admit that it is a transmission issue. I may have to try another dealership.
    Acelerating from a stop you might have unintentionally engaged "hill-hold". Accelerating (re-accelerating) to change lanes might be the built-in 1-2 second upshift/downshift delay/hesitation enforced via DBW.
    Thanks DBW. Acura customer support is arranging for some one to test drive our MDX. I will post what they got to say.
  • brianm7brianm7 Member Posts: 3
    Thank god I found this post. We own a 2004 MDX with 150,000 miles highway miles. No stop and go or rush hour driving- my wife's commute is an easy 45 minute highway shot with no traffic. About 3 months ago we began experiencing many of the same issues detailed on this post: delay in engaging, sudden rpm loss, etc. We use a reliable local mechanic who is awesome and has serviced all our vehicles. We over service our cars like others here have detailed. In other words we buy "quality" vehicles, service them and historically have had few if any major problems.
    This is our first and last Acura. For years, actually decades I owned Hondas and routinely put 200,000 miles plus on them. All were 4 cylinders. One of our mid 1980's Acccord we sold with 450,000 miles on it, still running strong.
    My wife took her MDX to the dealership right around the corner that we have used for some service- but we all know why most of us use reliable repair shops instead of dealerships. Who wants to spend $650 on basic service that a reliable independent will do for $350 or $400??? And when all is said and done, many here who have paid dealership rates to maintain their Acura's have been abandoned by the same people they've been feeding, who go on to act as if their transmission failure is a one time, unexpected, bad luck issue.
    Our local dealership is right in the line with the others chronicled here: "gee that's too bad". "we can replace it for $6,000". All spoken as if they've never seen this issue before and they're doing you a favor.
    Interesting side note: my wife's business partner drives the same exact vehicle with 100,000 miles and guess what- he started having transmission slippage and engagement issues about a month ago. Any one want to guess what he's going to be told by the dealership??
    Clearly the drivetrain/transmissions in these vehicles are flawed. I'm shocked that we haven't heard more "disgruntled" reviews of Acura products. We intend to document our dismay and outrage at a $45,000 vehicle having this type of failure. Unacceptable and to the fellow who made it sound like any car is toast after 100,000 miles- obviously you haven't driven many cars. We're mid 50 year olds and have had owned Toyota & Hondas that have ALL gone hundreds of thousands with minor and normal wear and tear repair.
    What to do about it? First my wife is going to tell the dealer that she has no intention of paying them for a major replacement/repair that is clearly something they are well aware of and doing nothing about. Second, we'll dump our car and make a point of letting Honda and Accura know that it will be our last with their brand name on it. Third, we'll do our very best to make other consumers we know aware of our experience- and we both deal with hundreds of upscale clients in our line of work.
    Reliability is the cornerstone of Honda's success. Their vehicles are overpriced as we all know. The tradeoff is most knowledgeable consumers will pay a little more upfront to avoid being gouged by repairs over the life of the vehicle. This is a bad sign for Honda. Having owned Toyota products that were promoted as "bullet proof" and then watching them mishandle PR surrounding recalls, it won't be long before something similar befalls Honda. Reputations are hard earned and easily tarnished when companies resolve to put their heads in the sand and pretend all is well in the face of a major issue like this. Hard to believe that any dealership wouldn't be well versed in this transmission issue if they're selling and servicing Accura's. Too many complaints and failures to simply be a case of bad luck.
  • jslivonjslivon Member Posts: 57
    Before you dunp the vehicle, go back to the dealership, tell them about this blog and you know for a fact that Acura will pay 90% replacement cost if they call the CA office. If they refuse, find another dealer or file a complaint with the BBB.

At this stage, you may have to replace the tranny before you can sell it. Whatever the outcome of who is paying for it, buy a Ford next time. We will when we are ready for another vehicle, no more Acuras for us, even though our dealer paid 90%. Acura showed us their "bad side" on this deal.
    150,000 miles, you should consider yourself lucky. The VTM-4 system used in the early models was undoubtedly a bit too "robust" for the otherwise light duty transaxle. It appears that switching to the SH-AWD system in the later models alleviated the problem.....or maybe it was just re-programming of the firmware to make less use of the rear drive aspects.
    Brian,

If you realllllly want to shove it to Acura, you should start by starting a class action lawsuit which all of us will participate in.

Acura will only listen to attorneys(theirs or ours) doesn't matter. Your letter won't make it past the mail room where the clerk will piss on it and throw it in the trash bin.
  • brianm7brianm7 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for weighing in. I agree with all of the comments passed on.
    JSlivon- thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate the advice and will follow up and update you on their reaction ( which while I hate being cynical, believing that a car dealership will do the right thing is like expecting politicians to tell the truth.)
    WWest- yeah given the experience of others one has to wonder how we made it this far. I am however appalled at the number of people on this site who have experienced the same failure with a fraction of the miles???!! How does a $45,000 luxury vehicle sell with that track record? Further, I'd be EXCEPTIONALLY skeptical of buying a "used" one. You'd think that if more people were aware of the MDX's transmission track record that their resale value would be severely discounted. Specifically I'd have to believe a private party sale would be a lot tougher to make since there is no recourse if the vehicle fails once it exchanges hands. And it's highly likely that even a good mechanic or dealership that was paid to assess it's condition wouldn't detect pending transmission failure.
    I know a lot of car buyers who save a fair bit of $$$ being the 2nd owner of reliable higher end
    vehicles, but obviously experience would eliminate the MDX from that category.
    DC1225- I'm actually surprised that Accura has been able to avoid litigation on this issue given how many complaints I've read. Is it because they just lie their way out of it by denying culpability on their part and footing the bill for only the most egregious cases to try and prevent more bad PR???
  • washingtongcwashingtongc Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I have a 2008 MDX Tech with 32,000 miles and occasionally encountered the dreaded shudder at 35mph around town as early as a year ago or so. This behavior began to surface with more regularity recently and (tired of punching the gas pedal to arrest the shudder), took it to the dealer last Thursday to let them have a look-see. Naturally, they needed me to demonstrate the shudder with a tech and wouldnchaknowit I was unable to demonstrate it. Dejected and headed back to the dealer, the tech mentioned that this wasn't an uncommon complaint among MDX owners and that he'd look at it but suggested I leave it for the day.

Well, 2 hours later the dealer calls and--whoopeee!--confirms the shudder and faults the torque converter (all covered under the factory 6yr powertrain warranty) and that I am to keep my loaner (a 2011 MDX, btw) until they can source the part and intall it. I got it back yesterday and I absolutely love my MDX more than before it that's even possible. The dealership here in the DC, Rosenthal Acura, couldn't have been more professional. I've got no complaints here. The service advisor called with daily updates and even offered to take me back to the service bay as work was progressing; an offer I took him up on (I'm lame, I know) and let me tell you, this type of first-person open-heart surgery is not for the faint of, ahem, heart. It kinda takes your breath away. I walked away never to return again to the sausage factory.

It's crazy, too, because I was expecting an ordeal judging by the numerous posts this longstanding topic. I'm happy to report here happy times! I wish this karma on everyone else here and your beloved MDXs. True Story.
    2008...32,000 miles...Now that's worrisome.

Unless you make highly regular use, high TORQUE use, if the rear wheel drive aspects of the SH-AWD system.

Off-road, dirt/gravel road..?

Towing?
    What are you so happy about? That you got the warranty at 32k which should be normally covered? That they gave you a loaner? That your tranny/tc only lasted 32k? we'll see how happy you are when in another 32k you'll need a brand new tranny. You'll probably be doing quadriple double dragon flips by then I'm sure.
  • emx2500emx2500 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 with 117K miles that has a mild case of the shudder/vibration issue. I talked to a co-worker who also has a MDX and he said his also has had the issue for the past 50K miles and his car now has 170K miles. He had extensive discussions with the dealer about it and one time a service person was very open about the problem. He was told that eventually he should replace the torque converter and transmission but only when the issue gets too annoying to deal with. It's not something you need to take action on immediately once the symptoms start. Apparently after 50K miles it hasn't gotten to this point yet. So my strategy will also be to wait and see. I only need to get a couple more years out of the car and the symptoms for me are not severe nor very frequent. I might experience it once during a day while driving and it's more of a noise issue - I don't notice much vibration or power loss. If you want to get another 100K from your car, then it may make strategic sense to do the work sooner than later. For me, I only need to get another 20K so I'm going to wait and see. Supposedly the rest of the car is solid and will make it to 200K without problem.
  • bethackermanbethackerman Member Posts: 1
    I cannot access the link. It does not work. I replaced the torque converter last November. Now my transmission wont shift. How do I join the lawsuit?
    washingtondc,

I bought my certified one from Rosenthal too, but took it to Pohanka Acura for service. I think I need to take it to Rosenthal. Any one at the dealership you recommend I talk to?

Thanks
    Hi,

I posted some weeks ago regarding judder in the transmission and unstable RPMs in our 2010 MDX after only 25k miles. Bottom line is that we had the torque converter replaced and the SW upgraded for more smooth shifting. I CANNOT BELIEVE THE CHANGE... The car now runs like the luxury car it is and the ride is amazing. I put up some YouTube videos of the original problem and others have done that too. Bottom line, get that torque converter replaced, and second, get that SW updated, at least on your 2010 and newer (I believe the SW was released in July 2011 so ask for it for the next service).

Good luck!
  • steve8587steve8587 Member Posts: 1
    So glad I found this. We bought an 08 MDX 4 weeks ago with 71k miles. All is perfect except for a grinding noise I can hear around 40 MPH and the same shutter/jitter when shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th (I believe). Also have the same RPM jumping around when over 40MPH or so. We have only put 500 miles on the car so far. Not that I am glad to have an issue with it, but at least I can see the write ups here the videos you posted. Note, my RPM jumping is more than what I saw in video. Going to finish gathering info, maybe record a video and head back to Acura. Wonder what response I am going to get. probably print out some detail like this too. What specific item was had the software updated? What it the main unit or the transmission??? I know I will catch slack for buying an 08 with 71k on it but this is my 3rd Acura, (91 Integra/RIP, current 04 TL with 120k, and now this). Integra was redlined 3 to 20 times a day for 5 years, only issue was AC compressor, had 144k when totaled in wreck. TL is not pushed so hard but is (older now) and perfect! I got the MDX loaded with Navi-Tech pk for $23k and do have a 12k powertrain warr, will see if it helps me. Wish me luck.
    Take it to a dealer and have them replace the torque converter...don't leave the dealership til they do.

Glad to see that Acura still has not fixed the problem stemming from back in 2001.
    We only had the torque converter replaced, not the entire transmission.

With regards to the SW you need to ask the dealership. Ours is a 2010 and thus with the six speed transmission, and I believe 07-09 are five speed. Anyhow, the service technician will be able to check if there's an upgrade available or not.

Good luck!
  • mdxer7mdxer7 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2001 MDX (bought new) and the transmission was replaced after approx 105K miles by the dealer - covered by the warranty. Even though it was slightly over the mileage (I had purchased the extended warranty). I had all PM done by the dealer (who has been great) and they were able to have the new trans covered. Ok..2011 and I now have 210K miles and have once again been experiencing transmission issues (actually started around 200K). I knew the symptoms well. Time for a new car/suv.

Well, I feel I got my monies worth and have thoroughly enjoyed own/driving the MDX. I was going to buy another (this time used) MDX having read that the transmission issues were supposedly taken care of w/the new model in 2007. But this forum makes me wonder..... If you had it to do over...would you buy your 2007 or older over again? If not...what SUV would you buy?

Any thoughts on the Lexus RX350?

Thanks!