Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac G6- Water leak

1235»

Comments

• Options
    sodekesodeke Member Posts: 2
    Found this tutorial. Going to hopefully give it a shot. Sounds logical.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unp7IAewRFA
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    sodeke said:

I too am having this problem. I'm at my wits end! First my catalytic convertor goes out, I currently have a recall for the blinkers I need to take it into and this morning I discovered about two or more inches of standing water in drivers floor board and passenger floor board. I sucked out the water but it's smelly and ruined so much stuff! I too have the leaking stream out of my sunroof by the rear view window and now puddles of water. I'm not sure what to do as I know I'm not under warranty.

Hi sodeke,

We're very sorry to learn of your frustration! We understand you've done some repairs yourself since you're outside of warranty. If this continues to be a problem, we'll gladly connect you with a dealership in your area that can assist. If interested, please do not hesitate to private message us your VIN.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• Options
    grizz1967grizz1967 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Christina
    If so many people are having so many problems with water leakage and smell why would Pontiac discontinue the carpet for this car? Kind of a slap in the face water leaks creates smell and can't fix it?? The car is a 2007 and can't get parts....makes me wanna buy another Pontiac.... 
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited February 2016
    Since I don't think you're going to buy another Pontiac, I'll not try to judge the tone of the comment. As to the slap in the face idea, I'd suggest seeing about buying carpet for discontinued models of other brands that are 8 going on 9 year old.

I'd suggest looking at the parts listings online. There are several sites that sell GM parts (and other brands on similar sites they own).

I looked on rockauto.com and it's not a GM site. But they do have carpeting. Go to Pontiac on the left. Then choose 2007. Then pick "interior." Then go to flooring. Pick the color you'd want and see the price to order. Note that if you click on "info" in the blue box on each line, you get a page which allows you to see the color samples on your computer.

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/
    Is another online site.
    gmpartsdirect.com

These are a little trickier to find what you need because of the way the choices are offered.
    I find I often have to close the page and then completely start over to choose a different section to
    try to find what I want on the first one.

But if you can get the part number for what you want from those sites, OR FROM THE GM PARTS DEPARTMENT AT A FRIEND GM DEALER, you can search for the GM part number online and you
    likely will find someone offering that item from a dealer or other company that bought stock as closeout.

I was going to put remote start on a 2008 Cobalt and pay extra to have the dealer install it, but the option package was no longer availabe from GM. I found the part number and searched online, found the box of parts for a couple hundred and decided not to install myself. But it's still available and the Chevrolet dealer would have installed it probably for a couple hours of labor cost including reprogramming the body control module for the new remotes and module that came in the box.

Good luck.

Oh, if you are near a pick and pull type parts recycling yard, they often get in cars of this age. You might find carpet that you can remove the parts to get it out OR one local company will do the work for me but charge for it.

You can also search online for used parts
    car-parts.com

They do show carpet for the G6. I see prices like $85. Shipping might be a moderate cost or if one is close and you have a large enough trunk in a vehicle or pickup, you could make a drive and pick it up. Also call the yard and record names of whom you spoke with. I got a door mirror for my leSabre from a yard in Toledo. $20 to ship since it needed to be foam packaged. The guy called before he shipping because the mirror had light scratches on the glass from some scraping ice with a rock and he wanted to be sure I wanted it with the light scratches. It was exactly as he described when it got here. I think many of these stores find a lot of their business is at a distance and requires shipping. And they do a good job.

I can't link to the car-parts.com that I found because of the way their menus work. Note you can click on the blue column headers and sort.
    Read at the bottom of the page their description of "grade" or quality rating to determine damage to the carpet they are offering at a yard.

Good luck. I think you'll find a good solution with the car-parts.com

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    booboo56001booboo56001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Pontiac G6. After a couple days of heavy rain, I got into my car and noticed the back flooring soaked in a 1.5 inches of water, both sides. I removed the seat and found that the seat padding and the gray insulation pad were also soaked. Would this be a duct issue? I see a lot of people have similar complaints. Is there a recall on this yet? Anyone have a prices that the dealership charged to fix something like this?
  • Options
    johnathenjohnathen Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2016
    Ok so I have figured out the problem to this. There are drain plugs that catch the water coming from the sunroof. They are located on both sides of the car up under the headliner. You have to remove the headliner to get to them. To do this you must remove the visors, which are held in with Philips screws. Then remove the lights which are just clipped in. The there are 6 more screws along the sides where the headliner is being held in that need to be removed. Then there are 4 clips in the back that hold it up. All you do is get your hand up behind the liner and pull down hard directly above the clips and the liner should fall. Once down you can see the drain hoses. There are four of them. The ones above where there is water will be disconnected and dirty. Clean them and plug them back in. I recommend using a water proof sealant around the connection point then a clamp or gorilla tape to hold it from there once the sealant dries. If you need help or photos email me at 578johnatheATgmail.com with subject line saying [non-permissible content removed] Pontiac.and I will send you photos and a small video. Good luck guys.
  • Options
    durham_rdurham_r Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 Pontiac G6 Gt sedan. I was really excited to have bought this car. I got home and it rained and I noticed my seat belts was wet. I looked it up on the computer and found out it was due to the sunroof drains coming unattached. I took it and I had the sunroof sealed up. I thought this was the best way to solve my problem, since I don't never use them anyway. I noticed my rear speakers was not working either, so I went and bought two new ones and my husband installed them for me. We had to take out the back seat and went we did I noticed my padding was soaking wet. I thought it was from the sunroof leaking so I took my shop vac and sucked up all the water. I left the seat out to let it completely dry. It was finally dry after a day. It was dark out so we decided to wait to put the seat back in the next day. It started raining about 10:00 pm and I had to run to Wal-mart to pick up a few things. I look in the back and there is water again puddled on the passenger side and about midway. What in the world? This is ridiculous. My floors are all dry, my seat belts are dry, so were is this water coming from now? Very disappointed in GM. This need to be recalled and fixed for free since there are so many other people having the same problems. Wish I'd bought something else because it's untelling how much it's going to cost to get this fixed. Usually when you go to the dealership they will say we couldn't find any problems UGH so very mad!!!
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited March 2018
    By sealing up the sunroof, do you mean it was sealed on the outside with tape or something so that water cannot go around the edges to even get to the drain system around it?

If so,
    have you checked under the padding/carpet on the front seats for wetness?
    Is there water on the back floor on both sides?

Sunroof drains are a problem because people will try blowing through them with water or air pressure to clear them and end up blowing the connections apart.

Need some discrimination as to when the water level increases. I'd leave the backseat out for a while if that's where you're finding water, on the floor in the back. If the water comes in during a rain but the car hasn't been driven, check the door seals for leaks coming in. You might try spraying something on the metal on the door sills like a foot power spray so the water dripping in would leave a track. Because one possibility is a door that was repaired from an accident or power window problem, and the water that comes in around the window on the outside is kept on the outside of a heavy plastic barrier that is sealed with a heavy tarlike material on some cars. The shape of the bottom of that seal directs the water to a few drain holes in the metal inner door layer. That drips out the bottom of the door on the outside of the bottom seal. If that plastic has been removed and not glued back properly, the water drips on down the inside of the metal and comes out behind the door panel, the part that you see. Depending on where it hits the doorsill, it may be hard to find its track as it runs down into the footwell inside the car.

Rear window replacement can lead to a leak if not sealed. The rubber trunk seal can leak. And on a few earlier H-body cars, the rear wheel hump that you see inside the trunk has leaked. So the water is throw up by the rear tire, and makes its way through a hole in the metal hump into the trunk which can let water go forward if the shape is right. Or the water ends up in the well for the spare donut.

Determine when the water shows up, in a rain or when driven in the wet. Look for water tracks immediately after with a good flashlight.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,