Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda CR-V Trailer Towing

tpfeffertpfeffer Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
There are a lot of discussions on this board about installing a trailer hitch. In fact, this was helpful in my decision to install a Class III hitch. However, I find very little about actual trailer towing experiences.

I am hauling my daughter 1300 miles to start her life in another city. I plan on towing a 5x8 enclosed UHaul trailer that has a empty weight of 900 lbs. What she has is bulky rather than too heavy.

My question is what has been the experience of towing using a 07 CR-V? Any cautions or things I need to be aware of? What mpg were you getting?

Thanks

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Get in the right lane and don't go too fast.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    Brakes are your limiting factor, just remember that and you will be fine.
  • I am considering buying a 2008 CR-V AWD and would like to hear about others towing experience as well.

I typically tow a trailer with ATV total weight 1400 lbs. I had a 1997 CR-V AWD and would tow this load approx 400 miles in hilly terrain from Northern Arkansas to Southern Oklahoma. I did not turn the O/D (over drive) off during these trips. It was always a fairly agitating trip with the family because of the RPM changes and loud engine rev.

I know the 2008 CR-V has higher torque than the 1997, but now understand that turning off the O/D on the 2008 only leaves you with 3 gears! How fast can one travel in third gear? Must I turn the O/D off to tow? Someone who has experienced this situation......

PLEASE HELP
  • Sorry, I don't have any CRV towing experience to share, but I looked in my 08's owner manual on the subject:

Honda advises to leave the transmission in D when towing on level terrain and use D3 when ascending/descending significant hills. Per the manual, trailer weight not to exceed 1500#, and loads over 1000# require trailer brakes (surge or electric). Also, the usual cautions about cargo distribution and possible overheating on long grades.
  • This does help tremendously. Thanks
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    My .02 is to wait for the diesel CRV in 2009/2010. It would tow much better
This discussion has been closed.