Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• gafygafy Member Posts: 1
    any knowledge of standard transmission coming in the near future?
  • scsolarascsolara Member Posts: 47
    I have been getting the light for a while myself. My dealer said it was due to detonation. I only use super unleaded, so I do not think that is the problem. I ran the current tank down to a half, added octane booster, more super unleaded (from a different source), reset the light, etc. It came on about 5 minutes later. I think the sensor is messed up. Someone also told me the charcoal canister causes this to happen. Many people at Camryman.org talk about this problem. I am taking it to the dealer again. I know nothing bad is wrong, but the light is annoying!!
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Question for V-6 owners. The 2002 Solara is suppose to get the VVT version of the V6 currently found in the ES 300 and the Avalon. I believe 220 hp and a bit more torque across the band. Do any of you feel the need for more power and think it worth waiting another ten months?
  • ejyejy Member Posts: 62
    No. Want? Well, we as humans always want more. Worth waiting? That would be completely subjective on your part. Do you need it?

I'm surprised I haven't gotten any tickets yet - knock on wood.

'99 SE V6 5-Speed
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i have a V6 5 speed 200 hp solara SE -- my next car i am seriously thinking of going back to a 4 cylinder-- i tend to drive too fast with the V6-- not that i'm a speeder per se, but the quiet engine of the V6 makes me go 75 when the speed limit is 65, and 65 when the speed limit is 55.... with a 4 cylinder, the engine noise alone would probably make me look at the speedometer more often and stay within the limit... i know, i should use the cruise control more often--but even when i do, and set it at 55 on a 55 mph road, it seems i'm not going anywhere, so i bump it up to 60....i've had 2 speeding tickets in last year, and that's just not me....i don't know how those acura CL-S owners do it, driving 55 in a 55. at the very least, if i get another V6, it'll be automatic tranny. i'd probably go even faster in my solara, but the coinbox might fall out from the g-force... trust me, you'll get hurt on resale by that coinbox....accord coupes have much better coinboxes. nuts? i don't think so.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    gpolt
    The Solara V6 has a very good weight to power ratio with well chosen gearing, and feels very quick with the existing engine. It's hard to say if the extra few ponies would even be felt. If it were 50 horses and I wasn't afraid of speeding tickets, I might wait, but not otherwise.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    I'm a sucker for more power......bring it on toyota!
  • radracerradracer Member Posts: 96
    That's strange. I used to speed A LOT more in my Honda Accord 4cyl because it was too slow...I had to drive it very aggressive just to get the car moving. With the V6, I drive fairly tame because the power is there for me.

As for the VVTi engine in 2002, I think it will be a pretty nice engine, but the Solara already has quite a bit of power. I don't believe it's worth waiting 10 months!
    1) BTW, my sister just took delivery of a new 4 cyl SE auto with ABS and side air (gold). Very pretty. I'm considering the exact same car with V6 5 speed but waiting to first test drive a new fwd Highlander due out in February (I know.... different type of vehicle; unfortunately no 5 speed offered, but much more room and does have the VVTi engine.) Price, yet to be disclosed, is obviously a major consideration. For the $$$, SE V6 5 speed seems hard to beat.

2) Anyone have info if Toytota will continue the Solara after model year 2002? I'm assuming a style change would occur one year after the Camry's body style makeover.

3) RAL 2167 - your car looks great in the pictures. Which Zaino products do you use; and if you have leather, what products and how often?

4) Tires - I've been extremely happy with Bridgestone RE 930s on my old Saab. Now on my third set. Quiet, good mix of dry handling and wet traction, and not that expensive.
  • vitahawkvitahawk Member Posts: 14
    SCSolara: If I read your post correctly you said you reset your check engine light. How do you do it? Thanks to others who have posted on this. I am going to buy a new gas cap just for the hell of it and if that doesn't do the trick, I am going to have the dealer go on a witch hunt.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Someone is not doing there job right.Bring it back
    and have them re-balanced again and also the tire
    or tires could be out of round also causing a shake.If whoever knows how to properly balance and
    check the tire for trueness....you shouldn't have
    any probs with vibrations.Sometimes the tire must be rotated on the wheel to get it to spin true.
  • cheme74cheme74 Member Posts: 5
    Where is the 200 watt amp located for the premium stereo system?

For the SE v-6 5-speed with sport package w/leather.... You get keyless entry. Does the keyless entry system have the same features as the Security system that you can buy separately?

Lastly, where can one get the Zaino products?

thanks,
    cheme74
    isn't the amp located in the right front passenger footwell area just in front of the door?
  • nrl76nrl76 Member Posts: 30
    The amplifier is located in the front passenger right hand kick panel as ral suggested.

Neil
    '99 SLE
    Red\Gray
    P.S. Car is now over 2 years old and still tight and smooth!
    You must order via Mail Order from Zaino directly. Get you order blank and all the information you need at www.zainobros.com
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    It always amazes me how the same subject seems to dome up in several topics at once. The three most common reasons for the check engine light to come on are; 1. gas cap not tight. 2. overfilling the tank. 3. running the engine while fueling.

There are other reasons so bring it to a dealership to see what set it off.
    gpolt-- thanks for the comments on the pics i posted of the solara ...the zaino products i use are just two

1)Z1--- a pre-cleaner and conditioner-- i put this on in spring --once a year

2) Z2 -- show car polish-- i put this on after the Z1, and then periodically throughout the spring summer and fall...

i don't go nuts with all the zaino products..not a fanatic with z3 through z22 or whatver.. i like zaino cause it's very easy to apply and wipe off..no residue...and even tho it's a tad expensive, you can do quite a few coats over the months with one bottle of Z2, and the z1 will last quite a while too since i use that much less....plus for my solara i would say it takes 15 minutes to apply, and maybe 5 to 10 minutes to wipe off.
    I assume therefore that your intereior is cloth requiring no special care?
    yes-- i do have leather, which i hate cause that dog of mine slides around like hell in the back seat so i tend not to take her on drives anymore like i used to....anyway, i occasionally use Lexol but since it's just me (no wife or kids), and i don't smoke, there's not alot of wear and tear on the inside of the car anyway, i don't use alot of it...maybe i should--- this is my first and last car with leather seats--you can have em. that poor animal of mine just has a hell of a time gripping with her tiny paws to get any traction.
    You can reset the light by disconnecting you battery for 15 minutes. When you reconnect it, let the car idle for a good 15 minutes with no radio, AC, lights, etc so that the ECU can relearn the fuel mixture.

My car has been in the shop for 48 hrs now, and my dealer has no clue. They are working with Toyota to try and figure it out. They requested some wiring diagrams to try and figure out the problem. Apparently my knock sensor is going off. This causes the timing to retard resulting in a loss of power. I ALWAYS use super unleaded, so poor fuel is not the issue. I even added octane booster just in case. No help. I have the 2000 SE V-6 with TRD exhaust, K&N filter, and Kazuma supercharger. They may be trying to link the S/C to the problem, but they installed it and I have had over 9k miles with the S/C and no problems. I will keep everyone posted on the details when I find out more.
    More than 2 days, and it was a short in the knock sensor circuit. They say it is ready, now I will put it to the test.
  • nori10nori10 Member Posts: 24
    I had my wheels balanced and the vibration seemed to go away. Thanks for the advice :)

For people thinking about changing there tires to MICHELIN'S, they are great tires with good cornering grip and traction and tread wear, but comfort wise, the bridgestones are much softer and comfortable.
  • robmb52robmb52 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all:

I've been reading the latest posts about the Solara and I'm sad to see that people haven't
    been saying anything good about the car and that they are having problems. I'm happy to say that I've had my car for over 6
    months now and I have close to 8,000 miles on it and not one problem yet. (hopefully I
    didn't jinx myself now :o) I am very, very happy with the Toyota Solara (mine is a 2000
    SE V6) and would recommend this car to anyone. It is a great car.

I wish those people who are having problems with their cars luck. I hope that the problems are minor and that they are fixed soon.

Rob Rhode Island
  • luthor1luthor1 Member Posts: 15
    Any canadian sle owners who bought a 2001 care to tell puchase price. I'm wondering what discounts are available, so far best price Ive been given is 32300 inc delivery charge down from 34300 msrp . I think I should be able to get it for around 31000 with delivery charge, just beginning to test the pricing waters at a few dealerships. Still want the ivory int but the result is I am now limited to exterior color choices of red, white, black, green and gold ,of these colors like white or black but doubt the black will stand up well.
    You should see the other topics. This Solara topic is about as civil and up beat as exists in the Town Hall. These folks are great. They will discuss problems but we don't see any... how do I say this politely... rabble rousers. Between this and the ECHO topic (those folks are fanatics) we have the most informative topics around without the negativism that prevails elsewhere.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    cliffy1-

Mmmm....sounds like you've peeked in the Chrysler groups! LOL....

fastdriver
    I would say that this is the most overwhemingly positive forum I have visited. Almost everyone LOVES their car, and with the exception of the slight pull to the left and the coin box (Mine is OK) there are few regular issues.

I do miss having 4 doors, but this is a great car.
  • riri23riri23 Member Posts: 15
    How hard is it to get a child car seat in the Solara? I know it has oversized doors, but I wonder If anyone here regrets buying a 2dr car because of the child's car seat.

Thanks.
    Riri
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    The posting that described how a Toyota service department retaliated against a customer who gave the service department poor marks in the satisfaction survey was quite unbelievable. The service department stated that the customer would not receive good service and advised the customer to visit another dealership was unbelievable. There were other postings suggesting caution when filling out the survey for fear of offending the service department. These surveys (I've received them too) are Toyotas effort improve customer service because Toyota's customer service in nowhere near as good as their cars are. Instead of getting good survey marks by providing good service, apparently dealerships are trying to improve their marks by trying to intimidate customers and send dissatisfied customers to other dealerships. The proper response by the customer is to contact the Toyota regional office and describe the situation in detail (names, dates, etc.) If Toyota comes down hard on dealerships with poor survey marks, I would imagine they would come down VERY HARD on dealerships who are trying to intimidate customers and get around the survey process.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    rubicon52-

Well said! While I have had very little contact with Toyota service departments, I have to say that this should hold true for ALL new car service departments- domestic and foreign!

I never lied on any surveys that I received on my 300M whether the dealer liked it or not. One of them actually "reprimanded" me for the way I filled one out about his dealership. That was a mistake on his part! I filled his head full of the crap that was going on in the shop. Whether he knew it or not or was just "playing" dumb, I have NO clue! There was no way he was going to tell me how I should or shouldn't fill out a survey! They get what they deserve! Want good surveys- give good service, NOT lip service!

fastdriver
  • rotgerrotger Member Posts: 3
    My recommendation is that you put the seat in the passenger side (rear of course). The passenger side front seat slides all the way forward rather easily (press the foot lever), while the driver side seat takes a bit more pushing (on purpose in order to keep the driver's back rest position). You will still need to have a good strong back as you'll have to do some bending to buckle in your child (especially if you put the seat in the center position), but again it's easier if you put it in the passenger side.

As for me, I have the convertible and usually what I do is put the top down -- it's a lot easier to buckle in my 18 month old! Now with winter upon us I've gotten good at putting her in the more conventional way. Good luck.
    I have 12,000 on my 2000, and no problems yet. You might want to ask this question on www.camryman.org. There are quite a few manual solara owners there. Keep us posted on the situation.
    28000 miles on my solara SE v6 5 speed-- no problems with clutch-- the coin box is brutal, tho. honda accord coupes have lovely coin boxes-- what happens with theirs is, you pull on the door and the whole "box" slides out, kinda like a file cabinet, whereas in the solara the door just "flips" and the box stays pretty much stationary, or some sort of lottery drum thing going on... now don't get me wrong, the solara has more advantages over the accord coupe, but woe is me when it comes to the coinbox. don't live near a toll road with a solara unless you're prepared for many tears at the toll booth with unsympathetic toll booth personnel who seem to actually mock you as you reach for coins.

hope this helps in your question about the clutch.
  • vitahawkvitahawk Member Posts: 14
    HI. My 2000 SLE is just under one year old with about 11,000 miles on it. I never purchased the extended warranty as they said I had one year to do so. Are there any choices on the extended warranty in terms of carriers? How much should I pay? Do I go back to the dealer?
    Thanks for any comments. Bill
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    Ever since the weather has dropped below 40 degrees, I have been having trouble closing my door.

I literally have to slam it closed sometimes.

Any suggestions?
  • rghallrghall Member Posts: 5
    Decon...This topic was a recurring theme around this time last year too, so you probably have the same problem that several of us have had. When you open the door next time, look at the clearance between the window and the moulding that's at the top of car where the window seats when closed. I would bet that you probably have only about a fingernail width of clearance at best. What happens is the window is catching on the moulding and makes the door extremely hard to shut. I had the same problem with mine and took it in for an adjustment last Friday. It was completely covered under warranty so it only cost me about an hour and a half in my time. After adjustment I have about a 1/4" of clearance.

I bought the car in January, so it was pretty chilly for a few months after I got it, but the problem did not show up at all. It wasn't until it started getting below 40 at night this fall that it showed up. Which is good because I've already got 22.5k miles on it in 11 months!!! I think I'll hit the 36k long before the 3 year warranty!

Greg
    Is this really that different than in hot weather? When the weather is warm, do you leave your window cracked? These cars are quite air tight and it is normal to need to slam it pretty hard. If you leave your window cracked during the warm months, you may not have realized that this is normal.

Just a thought. If it really has gotten worse and you didn't leave the window cracked, take ti to the dealer.
  • wayneewaynee Member Posts: 16
    I doubt that the closure problem is due to window binding simply due to colder weather. Actually, glass and metal contract as the temperature is lowered, so any existing gap would tend to get larger with colder temps. Simple test - lower the window all the way down and close the door. If it is still hard to close, then you know the problem is with the latching mechanism or in the hinges.
  • rghallrghall Member Posts: 5
    Cliffy,
    Yes there was that much of a difference on mine. I don't leave the windows cracked in the summer because you never know when a storm may decide to pop up.

It wasn't till it started getting cool that I had a problem. It did not effect how the door operated, but when the window would stick on the plastic channel above, the door would not shut if you closed it normally. It would hood on the first latch, but not lock shut. In the cases where the window stuck on the moulding and the door actually closed, there was a gap big enough to put your finger through.

Waynee,
    I agree with your theory, but I know for a fact that the window on my car did not hit the plastic moulding during the warm months. Knowing that glass and plastic are two different materials with different compositions, perhaps the glass and plastic moulding contract at different rates thus potentially causing a problem where tight clearance is an issue. The problem would only occur after the car had sat in the driveway all night, so apparently the vehicle had to get pretty cold for the issue to arise.

Either way, it was just something else for decon to look for. Let us know what you find.
    When it gets cold, the molding gets stiffer cannot flex to let the glass pass. It was probably too close anyway, but the molding flexed just enough to let the door close when it was warm.
  • riri23riri23 Member Posts: 15
    Rotger:

I am debating between the sporty look of the
    Solara and the Mini-ute RAV4. I think I will get
    the RAV because of the 4dr and the cargo space.

I don't have a child yet, but in the near future I
    will. I love the Solara but you bring me back to
    reality when you say I will need a strong back;
    otherwise, my choice would have been the Solara.

Thanks for your help.
    riri.
  • speedracerspeedracer Member Posts: 8
    Vitahawk:

My folks found this site for their Chrysler. You might want to check out the Toyota warranty they offer. www.chryslerwarranty.com
  • speedracerspeedracer Member Posts: 8
    Oops! Here is the correct link for post #366. www.toyotawarranty.com
  • kwylliekwyllie Member Posts: 13
    I too had the door problem. I bought the car during summer and didn't experience the problem until cold weather set in, but who really knows? The dealer adjusted the window mechanism, no problems since.

I own an older model (1999) SLE V6, 13500 mi. The only problems I've had are the door problem and the rocking chair driver seat.
    If you wait two months, you will be able to get the Solara engine in a larger vehicle - the Highlander
  • rotgerrotger Member Posts: 3
    Yes, you're better off with 4 doors, regardless of what you buy. The solara is "my" car, my wife has a wagon which is our primary family vehicle. The kids are in my car only 3-4 times a month. Good luck.
  • paul116paul116 Member Posts: 15
    Without question, the current model Toyota Solara is one of the most beautiful pieces of automotive engineering ever made for the general public. I would just like to have the chance to test drive one, as I am in the market to replace my one year old Ford Focus. I love the way the Focus handles and drives, but I hate how much time it spends in the service department. So it must go.

My latest attempt to test drive the Solara resulted in the worst insult that I have ever been given in my 15 years of buying numerous new cars. Let me state up front that I am also notorious for controlling the entire deal from the onset until I get the deal I want. So, I am no timid rookie when it comes to meeting up with intimidating car salesmen. I told the salesman that I wanted the base Solara with an automatic transmission as the only option. Yet every Solara has all sorts of useless options on the sticker, elevating them out of my desired price range. So he suggested a Corolla, and I told him that the Focus handled much better. As usual with any dealer, the salesman tells you to wait in this chair while he talks to his manager. Now I am already mad while I am waiting, as there was nothing for me to test drive, yet they are hell bent in selling me something. After five minutes of what seemed like eternity, the salesman comes back and tells me that they just got a used Focus in today that I could have for $12000. I came to buy a Toyota and they offer me another Focus?!! Needless to say, I stormed out of there!! They looked like they were glad to see me go. Their attitude was like "If we see that you don't want to spend big bucks, then we don't want your business". This was the most pronounced cocky attitude that I have ever seen at Toyota dealers, but I find all of them guilty of being overly cocky to some degree. They feel like they are selling the most reliable car and that everyone who walks in will simply buy a car at a price the salesman wants. When I find fault with the car, such as uncomfortable seats on the Corolla or poor handling, they don't want to hear it and try to sell me anything else.

Due to some of Toyota's marketing practices such as charging you extra for the lug nuts, combined with the cocky attitude of their sales staff, I have not bought another Toyota since my last one left me stranded at 40K miles on a dark and lonely highway some 15 years ago. Ironically, it was a Toyota that inspired me to trade in every car before it reached 60,000 miles, and I still have yet to own another Toyota. If Toyota doesn't straighten out the attitudes of it's sales staff, many others like me will continue to spend their money elsewhere. I have only encountered one pleasant Toyota dealership in these last fifteen years, but why should I have to drive more than 100 miles to do business with them. So, it looks like Solara is out of the picture for me. For me, "Toyota" is a Japanese word that really means "over-rated and over-priced". This is really sad, as the base Solara with it's only option being an automatic transmission finally appears to be an excellent value offered by Toyota. But good luck finding one of these at a dealer who knows how to treat it's prospective customers. If anyone finds one, I would surely like to know.
    well... it was unclear to me whether you actually test drove the solara-- even though you wanted a base solara with just automatic, couldn't you have test drove a loaded 4 cylinder auto that might have been on the lot, just to make sure you liked the ride? then the dealer can try to see what he can locate from other dealers in the geographic area....it was unclear in your post whether you actually test drove the car, it didn't seem you did...

by the way, did you go into the dealership with an attitude?

secondly, seems to me that if you can only "afford" a stripped down solara, why not order the car and have it built that way? cause i have to believe finding a solara that just has automatic could be a problem....if nothing else they'll add a minimum package with power driver seat/floor mats/maybe a radio upgrade.

third, now, listen to me, buster, this is tough love here, don't be buying no stripped down solara... there's plenty of 4 cylinder accord coupe automatics at your honda dealers....go that route...i own a solara, don't get me wrong, but if all you want is automatic and nothing much else, heck, get an accord LX coupe w/auto-- invoice is about $17,800..i'd think you'd be able to buy one for $18,300--and you can get it option free (other than the automatic added). i know, you want a solara, but listen, paul, finding a solara with JUST automatic, maybe i'm nuts but i have to think there's going to be at least a few other options added to most solaras you'll be able to find. you'll have a nicer coinbox in the accord so you can save your dimes to afford a solara WITH options in a few years.

i will say this, them offering you another focus to replace your focus, well, that was kinda hot... i'd have been ticked off too.
  • cllmartincllmartin Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I have a 2000 Toyota Solara,

And I recently has a serious of events go wrong with mine. the drivers head light fell into the lens and the dealership wanted to charge 140.00 to get it out......and wouldnt warranty it. The battery cable bracket broke and the dealer ship said it was due to someone messing with the head light treat me like Crap I cant belive this> Kinda like im wrong and there right..... makes me a little angry with toyota now. A serious of events happen to this car and im peanlized for it. Does anyone else out there going thru the sames similar problems
    If your dealer won't cover an ostensibly, warranted item, put the repair on your credit card and when the monthly statement comes, call your bank and tell them to deny payment to the dealership. At the very least, this will cause THEM some administrative headaches and waste of time.