Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• goldkeygoldkey Member Posts: 36
    Don't you hate the way manufacturers are trying to push down consumer throats this new XM gimmick?
    I know manufacturers will justify with their usual argument - we just want to server our consumer and provide them with better services and products. But I question that line, by what focus groups did the industry decided that this is what consumers want or need? I would hate XM to go the way TV went. When it is basically impossible in many areas to live without cable and you even have to pay even for broadcast channels. I agree commercials is nuissance. But most of cable channels are nto commerical free anyway. And it is one thing to have your movie interrupted for a commercial, another thing to have commercial breaks between songs. Note, not in the middle of a song, but between songs. Giving you ample opportunity to switch station instanteniously, to another tune.
    Talking about what consumers want. I am quite suprised that with all the technological tricks/gizmos manufacturers want to offer to distinguish themselves from the competition, the remote-starter has not become a mainstream option offered by manufacturer. This one would be a hit in my opinion, especially in regions with cold seasons. Yet, this can only be obtained from aftermarket installers, who if not experienced enough can mess up your electrical system and void your warrantee.
    So, I think automakers are disingenious in the recent attempt to push the envelope for XM. There is obvously some mutually-beneficial marketing "quid prop quo" going on here, while interests and convenience of consumers are last of their motivations.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    I like the stuff that's under the skin, but got put off by the styling. I know, I know, it's subjective, but I've reached the point where I can afford to NOT buy something because I don't like the looks!

XM - heck, other than some news flashes and sports play-by-play, I'll just listen to my own CDs everytine I get behind the wheel.
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/screen/pr_2003_01_28.html

Since GM has such a big financial interests in XM radio, it would love/push other companies to adopt it. Remember GM is buying some engines from Honda? The agreement was GM buying Honda's engines while Honda uses GM's OnStar. This XM radio could be part of the deal.

IMHO, that's a bad move for Honda. If you live in a metro area, you probably have enough free radio channels already.
  • ray00edm1ray00edm1 Member Posts: 3
    If I set the wiper timer to INT and use the shortest INT Time, the wiper will go slower when I stop the car and faster when the car is running.
    I own a 2000 RL.
    Is there something wrong with my wiper? Please help!
  • sranger941sranger941 Member Posts: 21
    The wipers are working fine. The INT setting stands for interval and is designed to work in conjunction with vehicle speed. The faster the vehicle speed, the shorter the interval between wiper cycles.
  • danfortnerdanfortner Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my 99 RL with 28,350 miles on it from an out-of-state, used-car dealership. When the CD Changer got jammed up I brought it to the local Acura Dealership and since it was still under warranty they are ordering the parts, free of charge.

The service guy recommended having the Acura 30,000 Mile Scedueled service done. He quoted me the price of $399. So I am wondering anyone's suggestions as to do it or not? Is he quoting me $399 out of spite because I did not purchase my Acura from them? Is $399 "at cost" or is $200 dollars of that profit? Are they doing anything more than changing all the liquids?

I totally wouldn't mind paying for this maitenance "At cost" if they do a ton of Acura exclusive maitenance, things that either can't or won't be done at a regular oil change. Anyone elses experiance or knowledge on this????? THANK YOU.
  • 4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    This is just my opinion, but my approach has been to save the $400 service charge. This really adds up over the course of 3-4 yrs and can go towards a repair that wouldn't have been avoided by all of these rountine service bills. If you feel more comfortable having this service done as listed in the owners manuel, find a local garage to do the work. It will probably be about half the cost.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    after this "redesign", the RL has truly become a technological competitor for the $24K Honda Accord, with the Voice activated Navigation and so on, but still has miles to go to meet the Honda Accord when comparing its powerful engine and 5-speed Automatic transmission.

Way to go Acura, with your FLAGSHIP !

Later...AH
  • mfaraino1mfaraino1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm glad to hear you got your 03 E320. Let me know how it goes. I am thinking about it, but I am a little hesitant to get a first year model after a major redesign. I am sure you will enjoy your car for many years. Have fun driving.
  • viper0074viper0074 Member Posts: 56
    Hi guys.

I just got my first Check Engine light yesterday. I'm at 133m miles.

I tried tightening the gas cap (hey you never know!), but it didn't go away.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow morning.

Wish me luck.

Peter
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Usually oxygen sensor going out is a common problem that would cause a Check engine light.
    Have you ever had one fail on you?

If so, how much did it cost to replace?

Thanks,

Peter
    Happened at 75K miles, 6-1/2 years. Replaced free under the extended warranty (7 yrs./100K) purchased by previous owner.

I have heard that this is a routine reason for the "Check Engine" light coming on for a number of cars.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    should sell more than it does. I think the car is beautiful. The 99+ RL was a definite improvement over the 96-98 RL styling I thought.
    Good morning.

The Check Engine light I got last week was due to a faulty EKG Kit.

I have no idea what that is, but it's an emissions part, so it's still covered under warranty.

It looks like the Acura gods were in a good mood on Saturday when I went to the dealer.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Peter
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    Two months ago, after owning this "new to me" 1998 RL for only one month, I noticed the temp gauge at H after only 1 mile first thing in the morning. I happened to be by my local car guy and stopped by for him to look at it. He felt the hoses and notice that they were not very hot or highly pressurized. He check the coolant and noticed it was very low. I know it was full just 1 month prior so what happened to the coolant? There was no evidence of an external leak. He kept the car over night and pressure checked it. There was no evidence of a pressure loss. So we filled it up with coolant and I went on my way. Today, 3 months later the same thing happened except this time I drove a little farther and just as the needle hit H, something happen and the needle went down to the normal range. At the same time heat started to come out the vents. I thought "thermostat" I drove to a Honda dealer and he noticed the fluid was very low again.

Obviously I am loosing fluid. We can find no external leak and after another (shorter) pressure check, no internal leak. Where is the coolant going? The Honda guy thinks it must be leaking very slowly when it gets hot. He thinks I will probably need a head gasket. I called the Acura dealer (two actually) and they both said they had not seen this before but it would cost about 1700-2500 dollars to fix it!!!!!

What else could it be? and How can it cost that much? Has anyone else heard of this on a 98 RL. BTW is has 135000 miles but was babied by the previous owner and I have all the previous service records to prove it.
    I have 134,000 miles on my 96 RL and I also had an overheating problem over the summer. I, unfortunately, cannot remember what was wrong with the car. Sorry.

I do remember it costing an arm and a leg to fix at the dealer.

Maybe you can take the car into the dealer and get them to tell you what's wrong with it.

You can then shop around at independent auto shops to see if the price difference is great enough to get it fixed elsewhere.

Good luck.

Peter
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Mike,
         Let me start out by saying that I have not bought my RL yet, so these comments are based on the cars I have driven over 100,000 miles. I think you may have one of three problems:
    1. Head gasket leak
    2. Hairline crack in head
    3. Hairline crack in block.

I suggest that you find a mechanic you trust, and ask him or her to re-torque the heads per the Acura specs. Your leak is very slow, and this may help. Next I would add radiator stop leak to the radiator. This will not work if you have a real bad head gasket, or a real bad crack in a head or block. It might help if the head gasket is not that bad, or if you have a hairline crack in a head or the block. You are not leaking very much coolant. Please check it every week, and do not run the engine out of coolant. Let us know how you make out.
    I'm going in Friday to have them try their best to try to find the leak. They say they can do an emissions type test to see if it is leaking into the combustion chamber. I have also found a '96 engine with 82k on it available for $1500. I guess it would cost another $1000 to have it installed. I hate to think of it but maybe for $500 more, it may be worth it to replace the engine. Of course, I have no idea the history of the "new" engine. Also, I'm may be able to monitor the coolant use for several years and get away with doing nothing except adding fluid periodically. I wonder though, even though the car is out of warranty, shouldn't I be able to expect greater life from an engine and shouldn't Acura be willing to help me out here?
  • thaddeustthaddeust Member Posts: 3
    Anyone,

I just purchased a 1998 RL. The stated EPA estimates for fuel efficiency are 19 City, and 25 Highway. My RL has 63k miles, runs great, has new oil and air filter, clean radiator fluid, new tires, is properly aligned, and gets only 15-16 mpg. I only run the manufacture recommended premium unleaded. What kind of mileage are you getting? Any idea why I am not getting at least 20? I have a light foot, and thanks to rising fuel costs, a light wallet. Appreciate the feedback
  • kidbebopkidbebop Member Posts: 10
    When I first got my 1996 RL with 65,000 miles I got about 16 mpg city. Even though the recommended tire pressure is 29 psi I read that most people put more air in their tires. I increased my air pressure to 32 psi and I now get about 18.5 mpg city with no loss of smooth ride. I haven't taken it on a long freeway trip yet, but I would expect to get about 23-24 mpg. You might try it.

Cheers
    A brief history:

Bought '96 Acura from a dealer in September 2002. Good condition and had 65,075 miles. I wisely purchased AcuraCare. Car only has 68,500 now, only 3500 miles since I bought it.

In a little over 5 months I have had 3 window regulators replaced. Normally, $300 each.

I was also advised that the ABS modulator/accumulator was leaking and they would replace it under AcuraCare. Normally a $1500 job. I made an appointment for last Wednesday, March 5. The parts were not there when I came in for service. They said they would be there the next day. They weren't. At that time I had them do a recommended transmission flush because they said the fluid was a little burnt. This was in light of the fact that the fluid had been drained and replaced before purchase. Before the transmission flush the car seemed to be shifting smoothly and quietly.

Today, while driving to work, it acted like it had a bad spark plug wire or something. The check engine light came on and when I came to a stop the car would not move no matter what gear it was in and subsequently had a giant puddle of transmission fluid under the car. Sounds like the tech screwed up. But why did it take 5 days since the service to happen. There was no transmission fluid on my garage floor at all. So now my "new to me" Acura is in the shop for transmission, abs modulator, abs accumulator. I guess if I didn't have AcuraCare I would have a major tantrum. They are giving me a rental car, etc.

Was the same transmission used in all model RLs? Any opinions or insight into my problems would be appreciated. Sure am glad I purchased Acura care.

mrjazz
    Wow. Damm right you are glad you bought the warranty. I have not heard of those problems but my source of info is mostly this board.

As for my problem, I have decided to not worry about the coolant leak until it becomes greater. I check the level every day and have not seen any loss yet. I don't know what is happening but I don't want to have a $2000 repair job until it is absolutely necessary.

Good luck to you.
  • poonsspoonss Member Posts: 7
    The coolant leak may be caused by a hairline fracture in the nylon upper tank of the radiator and it leaks when the tank expands when it gets hot. My experience is that virbation and heat stress will cause hairline fracture in the tank. There will be a very small unnoticeable leak (steam) and you may or may not even see any deposit around. I hope this help.
    I hope you are right. I've been quoted $1700 to $2500 for a new head gasket. I looked in to a junked engine. $1500 for an engine core with 68k on it and $3000 for installation!! You can't even buy a new engine. I would sell the car but I could not live with myself knowingly selling the car with this defect. The bottom line is that there is no hurry. The car runs great and if I keep an eye on the coolant level, I hope to have no real problems.
    Sorry to hear about your problems, "mrjazz." Perhaps you got unlucky and have a "lemon" on your hands. It offers a different perspective from those who assert that extended warranties are a "rip-off."

Bought my RL in Sept. 2000 with 36.8K miles. Four new tires. Now have 77.6K miles, 41K miles of trouble-free driving pleasure. Brake pads at 45K, service at required intervals (every 7.5K miles). Did the timing belt, water pump change at 75K instead of waiting to 90K (six-year time interval). That was the most expensive service bill ($1900) as I do all flushes (transmission, engine, radiator, brakeline) - I believe in preventive maintenance.

The "check engine" light went on once - oxygen sensor replaced under extended warranty (7/100K) that had been purchased by prior owner. The EW expires on 7/30/03.

The inconvenience factor is bad enough, but it's better to have the warranty cover the repair costs than not.
    Just got my Hard Drv based nav system updated. Now is runs very slowly. It now takes over 5 minutes to build a route where before it took about 10 seconds. Obviously something ain't right. I asked them to try again and the car came out of the shop with "Hard Drive error, see dealer" Fortunately they are going to replace the HD for free. The warr has expired so I guess they think they broke it. I hope all it needs is a new HD. Has anyone updated recently and have you had any problems? Also, what software version and database version are you on?
    Mike 734: You might have an entirely different problem but I hope I can offer more insight. Honda uses nylon for their radiator tanks and the problem with these plastic tanks is that the nylon crystallizes and cracks under heat over time. There may be a top tank replacement kid available but it must be installed by a professional shop. I took out my old radiator in my previous car and have a shop to replace the tank for 60 dollar labor. The tank cost about 60 too. The way I found out is that I noticed a tiny little bit of steam from under the hood while I stop on the highway but could not find any crack on the tank and I also had very low coolant level all the time. I also replaced the radiator cap and hoses clamps but kept all the hoses. Honda uses the highest quality hoses and they almost never leak.
    Thanks for the info about the radiator. I will look in to this very closely.
    Hey I recently purchased an Acura RL from a used car dealership (NON-ACURA). And they did not have the floor mats to the car. They said I could buy some of theirs, but I figured 100% generic mats I can buy anywhere. I am wondering where I can buy Acura brand floor mats. All I have been able to find on the internet is either Integra or Universal floor mats. I am pretty sure I need RL specific ones too because of the "gas tank fill lock" juts out too much for a normal mat. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good OEM Accessories website for my Acura?

Also does anyone know if I find ones for a TL or CL, will they fit?

In case it matters I have a 99 Nighthawk Black 3.5 RL - 29,000 miles - parchment leather - no Nav.

-its funny how I am making such a big deal over FLOOR MATS... but HEY
    -thanks for any suggestions
    http://www.ahmotor.com

This is actually an Acura dealer in PA, their on-line parts service is pretty good.
  • bpddaddybpddaddy Member Posts: 4
    Hello Everyone,

I have a 96 RL that has 101K and still rides beautifully. Bought it 3 months ago with 99K for a sweet deal ($9K). Anyway, I want to put new struts on her and need to know what you guys have done in the past? Should I replace the entire unit (spring and all), or can I get away with just the strut? I've found some on online for about $440 for struts. Can I put in aftermarket? If so, what kind?

Thanks
    Does anyone know of a good source for ordering Acura parts and accessories on-line? I am particularly interested in the burl wood shifter and wind deflector. My local dealer wants an arm and a leg. I know of a great Honda site but I have been unable to find an Acura site.

Thanks
    The first one is new to me and has the parts I want. Thanks. The second two I have seen before and do not have the parts for my year (1998) or do not stock them at all. It is still pretty expensive for a Burl wood shifter. I guess I'll have to make a decision based or my heart and not my head.

Thanks again
    Mike
  • travisgreggtravisgregg Member Posts: 9
    I have a an extra set of parchment colored floor mats I got from a friend who sold his RL. they are in perfect shape as they were an extra set for him when he had his car. I can't really use them so i would sell them cheap.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    I have a 96 RL with 50K miles and the maintenace light comes on when I start the car and it stays on for about 5 minutes before it goes off. I know that it suppose to come on at the major maintenance intervals (30K, 60K, 90K miles). Is this normal to have it stay on for such a long time?
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    The maintenance light will go on every 7500 miles (after being reset). The longer the car doesn't get taken into service the longer the light stays on after it initially blinks. Its suppose to stay on indefinitely after a certain time.

If you get tired of it, just old down the two buttons to the right of the fuel gauage while you start your car. I would hold it down for about 15 seconds. The light will start blinking as usual and should go away. The next time you start your car, the light shouldn't come on anymore. (One of the buttons resets the odometer, the other is lets you toggle from TripA to TripB to Temperature). I don't remember the names of the buttons (one is reset I think).
  • bongotoobongotoo Member Posts: 10
    I've scrolled throught all the messages on the RL. I've seen this issue listed twice. It sounds like this is a common problem. I haven't seen an alternative to the costly $1500 repair mentioned. Is there a solution to this apparent flaw in the ABS that won't cost me so much of my hard earned money? What recourse does the consumer have in this case? It dosen't seem fair that Acura can get off the hook for a problem like this. Has anybody found a cheaper way to repair this problem?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    But what year is your car -- if it's close to warranty, maybe you can get them to share? Is there a TBS listed on this?

JW
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    I had to replace it one of my Legends. It really goes back to regular maintenance. Flushing and refilling the brake fluid seems to be something that people are willing to skip and end up paying in the end.

I learned my lesson and it one of the things that I am diligent about on a Legend/RL.
    I am getting a system installed in my car and I know the electrical system should be able to handle a single amp running 300w RMS. But I am laying down 4 gauge wire so I can potentially upgrade later... add another amp or something.

So... the thing I was wondering was; does anyone know the stats on the alternator in the RL, 99 without nav. I looked in the manual but could not find anything. So does anyone know were I can find this information, or actually have more detailed stats sheets on the RL? Specifically I would like to know the amperage it can handle, but more detailed stats are always appreciated.

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT ONE CAN PROVIDE!!

... and on a totally different and unrelated subject; has anyone lifted up their ashtray, the one in the center console, in front of the shifter. Well after you lift up the ashtray, then there is a rubber flap, lift that up and you will see some sort of interface or port. I am wondering what that is... and again, if you don't know what it is, where do you think I could find out... mostly I am just curious.

And also, don't worry you won't hurt your car trying to get a peak at what I am talking about, it is easily accessable. I'm surprised no one has discovered it before.

THANKS FOR INPUT ON THAT ALSO
    feel free to e-mail me at danfortner@snet.net, also USER:travisgregg, please e-mail me, I need to ask you something.
    I have a 96 RL (original owner). I've just replaced my battery and noticed that a stereo code needs to be entered before the stereo works. I checked by the package I received from the dealer at the time of purchase and did not recall having received a (white) card with a stereo serial number with a code. Called the dealer that I purchased the car from and they said that they have purged my information since I haven't brought my car in there for service in the last couple of years (what idiots!). The only way now is to take the stereo out and get the serial number. Anyone have any ideas other than doing this? How about calling Acura directly and provide them with a VIN number? You comments are appreciated.
  • bpddaddybpddaddy Member Posts: 4
    low ball, I'm in the same boat. I went by the dealer here in NC and they told me it would cost $72.00.

I don't know if you can call the HQ, but that was going to be my next step. I can take the radio out myself and get the serial number vs paying $72

Someone help us please
    BP - $72 is way overpriced. I called Acura Customer Service and they could not do anything for me without the serial number. So I brought it into the dealer and paid $45 for a half hour job (I think is still too much). Before the service advisor performed the job, he looked at several places under the hood, ash tray, glove compartment, and center console to see if they had put a sticker with the 5-digit code on it. He said sometimes the technicians do that so it is convenient if other type of services that they are performing requires them to disengage the battery. If you had prior services with a particular dealer that requires removing the battery, you should call the dealer first.

Good Luck
    The new issue of 'Automobile' has a drawing and short article on the new (really) RL. The drawing isn't too good and it's hard to tell how it will play out. A V6 is predicted, 300hp, AWD, "performance" oriented. Sounds interesting.

JW
  • bongotoobongotoo Member Posts: 10
    My RL is well beyond the warranty. I was hoping that ACURA would be willing to do something. It's like my 89 Legend Coup. They all rust at the bottom of the gas filler cap. ALL of them!! It seems to me that Acura would face up to the fact that there was a flaw in that seam. The ABS issue with the 96 RL is the same thing. Is there any hope that they would assist me? Lastly, is there a repair option that any one has found the isn't so expensive as replacing entire components of the ABS?
    I posted previously about my modulator problem on a 1996 RL. I luckily purchased AcuraCare when I bought my RL In September of 2002.

I had the modulator and the accumulator replaced under warranty. The service manager told me that he was replacing the accumulator in addition to the modulator because he didn't want me to have another problem in the future.

Was this a problem just on the '96? I haven't seen anyone post a problem with other years.

Cheers
    kidbebop
  • estevef1estevef1 Member Posts: 22
    More details about the AUTOMOBILE article:

New generation 3.5 V6 with 300Hp/260lb Torque
    A version of the Honda Accord's front-wheel-drive platform with all-wheel drive derived from the system in the MDX.
    Concept at Tokyo this fall and production car a the 04 Detroit auto show
    Honda...sees limited market potential in big V8 powered sedans, and is targeting high fuel economy and sensational high-speed handling.