Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• drmlogan6drmlogan6 Member Posts: 1
    This car has 160,000+ miles. Started running hot. Had thermostat, water pump, radiator all changed. Nothing seemed to help. Mechanic suggested that it may be from missing shroud underneath designed to channel air to engine. Replaced, now the exhaust is blowing smoke with that sweet radiator smell when driven, which wasn't happening until last trip to mechanic. He now says head gasket gone. I did ask him prior to last trip, before steamy radiator smoke started, could it be a head gasket. He was convinced not because the engine wasn't "missing". So now the car is pretty much trashed unless I want to invest yet even more money to rebuild or replace engine. I think no, but I was going to try to use a head gasket solution to see if that might work. My question is can anyone tell me where the drain plug for the radiator is located?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Classic blown head gasket.

Pouring 'gunk' into the radiator has absolutely no hope of fixing a Northstar blown headgasket. You've got combustion gases at what, 1,000 degrees, blowing into the water passages. Nothing you pour into the radiator is going to stop this.

Your mechanic is either incompetent, or he make a lot of money by replacing radiator, thermo, and water pump when the head gasket was the problem probably all along.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    I am not sure if the newer models have a drain port, the mechanic may just loosen the lower hose clamp and remove one end of the hose to drain the antifreeze? Did this car ever have the antifreeze flushed? I believe when flushing the antifreeze on these vehicles, GM recommends adding some sort of stop leak to the new antifreeze when refilling. This probably won't help you now, but you might want to check your records to see if any time it was flushed if they noted putting in the stop leak, if they didn't it might pay to talk to them about their responsibility for damages? good luck....
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Before it started to run hot were you adding water/coolant to the radiator? If the engine has been leaking coolant for any length of time, there may be significant damage from corrosion. Replacing the head gasket is probably around $2000, replacing the engine more. Replacing the car will increase the annual cost of ownership by far more than replacing the head gasket. If you get another 4 years out of the deVille for $2000, this adds $500 per year to the cost.
  • zimzam1zimzam1 Member Posts: 13
    Hey I am just about to trade in my 98 Deville for a 2002 Deville with 49310 miles on it and I am trying to decide which warranty to get with it. I have been reading all around and see that steering can be an issue. Should I just pay the extra 1000 bucks and get the bumper to bumper warranty for 4 years and/or 100000 miles?
    Is this the Cadillac 'certified' warranty or some after-market one?

For $1,000, I sure would jump on a certified warranty. But I thought Cadillac would only go to about a 7 year total, or something like that. Which would take a 2002 until about 2009 - which is only 2 years in the future?

You need to know what you are getting....
    I also have a 98 Deville with 160000 miles. I am getting rid of it in a week for a 2002 deville because ofthe head gasket situation. Let me tell you something rightnow. If anyone trys to tell you that they can change the head gasket for $2000 they have no clue what they are talking about. First off, because of the aluminum block and how many miles are on it, the engine block is probably a little warped so when they go to put it back together they bolts wont line up and then they will have to rethread them and that will add more cash to the cost. And secondly with 160000 miles on it who knows what else they will find wrong when they start to take it apart, even some parts that were just barly holding together could just break off when they start the disasembly. A good example of this is the heater pipes that run around the back of the engine are notoriouse for going bad around this time. So you should only think about an engine replacement and that would cost you at least 8 grand. So I would advise in a new vehicle. Changing the head gasket in something like that with so many miles is only going to cause you more head aches.
    I should have made myself clearer. I didnt realize my message made no sense until I just read it. But anyway the original factory warranty is all done because of the four year window is over. So I am only getting a 60 day 2500 mile warranty from the dealer, thats their basic warranty that comes with the car. Now I have been shopping around with warranty brokers, (aa auto warranty is a great one), and they gave me a few quotes for some limited coverage warranties for a few years for $800 to $1500 dollars. But the bumper to bumper one they offered was for 4 years or until my mileage hits 100000. Now Deville is at 49310 miles right now and I dont see myself taking it over the 100000 mark until 4 years is up. But the question I keep asking myself is over 4 years what is the chances of me sinking $2500 into my Deville if something goes wrong? Is it a chance I should take? I am most likely going to get a basic warranty anyway. So do you think I should just spend the extra $1000 bucks and get the good warranty. The funny thing is that the dealership offered me their bumper to bumper warranty for $4200. The crooks.
  • ladymyladyladymylady Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I've been reading through some of the earlier posts looking for info on the 2002 Deville DHS fully loaded with sunroof.

Glad to find out that I need to put more than 5 quarts of oil in. And will be grateful for other tips...but am a bit concerned.

Bought car 4 days ago at 51,000 miles...1000 miles after mfr. warrantee expired so it's not certified. Dealer tried to sell me Magic Guard warrantee - 2 years, 200 deductible for about $2700, which I didn't buy. That's one problem. After reading some of the stuff here, and with all the electronics and modules on this thing, which I didnt have on my '93, I realize I better get a warrantee in a hurry.

But I didn't like the Magic Guard which really doesn't cover as much as I think it should..some of the independent warrantee's seem to cover more, such as the Platinum....
    but reading about the companies that go belly up with your warrantee money is pretty scary.

I realize now from reading a bit here, that the dealer who I was servicing the 93 Deville with really took me for a ride.... said something was wrong with fuel pump but had to take off the fuel tank to get to it - so he might as well replace the fuel tank ----$1500 and I never got good gas mileage after that ! It probably was a pressure sensor and not the gas tank that needed to be replaced...other than that, at 130,000 miles the car still drove beautifully, smooth ride and what a turning ratio...much better ratio than the "new " 2002 DHS Deville....I loved that big 1993 boat, but not being mechanical myself it was time to give it up -

Anyway - reading about 2002's oil needs, fuel pumps, struts problems etc....I'm pretty sure that I need that warranty as quick as possible...dealer gave me absolutely no guarantee at all...

1)Any suggestions about what company to buy which will cover all the electronicss and sensors ??

2) Anybody here who has the 2002 DHS deville who can tell me what problems to watch out for?

Thanks,
    Lady
    Well, to replace a failed fuel pump, you do have to remove the gas tank. The pump is inside. And the 'sender' for the fuel guage.

Now if the entire tank was replaced..... Maybe it was rusted up and needed replacing?

The fuel pump/sender assembly (and if you are in there, you should replace both) is about $350 Cadillac list price. A new tank and labor could take this to $1,500..

I not going to recommend an after market warranty. Know nothing about them. There is, I think, a forum board about warranties you might should read thru.
    thanks for the reply Bolivar, but actually I was ver good about servicing the car and NO ONE
    ever mentioned the gas tank showing any rust...I also just checked the price of fuel pump - about $300.00 -not counting labor, therefore, after the fact I realize how much I was taken by the service at that particular dealer. Old story - they see a woman coming...and I did trust the serviceman. Dummy.

Unfortunately they are the closest Caddy service people to me, but not where I bought the "new" 2002. Got the DHS at a Caddy dealer about 25 miles away....and they had serviced the car, so probably know it.

Could have gotten a 2002 DHS at the closer dealer - FOR $7000 MORE - makes me think they're overpriced on everything.

Wondering whether I should make the trek 25 miles away ?
    Okay - bought the used 2002 DHS Deville fully loaded, all the goodies, with 51,000 miles

they didn't have the book that came with it and gave me a 2000 book. Not the same. It even talks about using high test when in fact the 2002's use regular.

Caught the advice of putting in 7.5 quarts of oil. But what kind? 10 W 30 is what I used in the 93. One time at oil change they put in 5W 30 synthetic and the car wasn't happy. Made them take it out and put in 10W30.

So, in 2002 DHS 10 W 30 ? or 5W30 synthetic?

Also have been reading about carbon problems - should I put fuel injector cleaner/additive in with every tank of gas? This "new" (for me) car has 51,000 miles on it.
    Hey ladymylady, I am also just about to trade in my 98 deville for a 2002 and I was looking around for warranties and found a well reputable warranty broker that used to only deal with dealerships but now only deals with consumers. The name of the company is "AA Auto Warranty". Just google them and it will take you right to them. They look through a bunch of warranties to find the best one for you. They are insured and are recomended by the better business bureau. They offered me a bumper to bumper warranty for 4 years and 100,000 miles for $2300, when the dealer offered me the same one for $4200. But anyway my buddy is a sales manager at a dealership and he also told me about them. So check them out because they offer all different kinds of warranties too. The 2002 Deville I might be getting has 49000 miles on it so I think I am going ro go with that $2300 warranty. But I just talked to this other guy I saw in the classified section about his 2003 Deville for sale, black on black, it only has 19000 miles on it, I offered him $14250 for it and he said OK. I cant make it over to him until Wednesday so I told him if he still has it by then, then its mine. I am praying that nobody gets it before me. But anyway AA Auto Warranty is a great place to start looking.
    Also ladymylady go to google.com and type in "cadillac deville owners manual" and the first site that popps up is a site for cadallac deville owners manuals. Suprise suprise. Hehe. But anyway just click it and then click on the year you want and you can download the whole manual to your computer. But I would think that it still uses 10w-30 oil. And as for the fule injector cleaner, you should only add that once in a while to a full tank of gas. I would think that every once and a while would be enough. And never take your Deville to the dealer you bought it from for repairs if you bought it used. They will always try to jip you if the problem is something they should have fixxed. Take it to another dealership who has nothing to gain or lose and just pay to have them look it over and make sure its in tip top shape. I think they would only charge you 70 bucks to do that.
    you're in a slightly different and better position than I'm in, cause if you buy that car with 49,000 miles you're still under warranty...and can buy the extended factory warranty while the guy who traded in my car waited till it was 51,000 miles, 1000 miles out of warranty.

I believe I did look up the guy you are talking about...I got quotes from 6 or 7 of them - and with the exception of "nation" they all were just as expensive (and I worry unreliable) as getting the warranty from the dealer - so I got GMPP warranty for 3 years, 36,000 miles, $200 deductible, for $2505.

that will bring me up to 87,000 miles and I figure after that I can pick up one of these after warranty things ( I keep a car for 8, 10 years or more) --my main concern is all these electronic sensor and module things - and I've been doing a lot of reading...apparently it has not been uncommon to have piston and ring problems, oil leaks, and coolant leaks with these models...so I thought it best to have the factory warrantee... Actually most of the after warrantee people were more expensive than GMPP - almost got suckered into 3 years for $3080 with $100 deductible because they let you pay it off over 18 months(from a company that seems to be connected to an insurance company and administrator that went bankrupt)

-called my own dealer last and found out they give you 12 months, no interest for pay off.....and I guess I'm lucky he's writing it, cause it is off the entire warranty already.

I called the discount caddy dealer in Pennsylvania....awfully nice people...and talked it over with that guy Allan...they give the warranty at discount...found the name here on this forum someplace...and he advised me to take the warrantee from the dealer I bought car from and told me to take the 3 year instead of the 2 year..because I wouldn't be able to get the GMPP Major Guard any other way.
    I thought his taking the time to talk to me and advise me when he wasn't going to make a dime out of it was so decent and super nice of him.
    Speaking of warranteeing the car:

On my way home from the dealer (bought the warrantee today) using my first tank of gas...with a 1/4 tank left - the strangest thing happened. It got down to a 1/4 tank and the display went off and "Check fuel gauge" came on only. Scared the hell out of me - what happened to the display? Why check fuel gauge when I have 1/4 tank left?

Is that normal?

Anyway, went and filled up half a tank, only then it showed I DID still have the 1/4 left in there.

Sounds like a pressure sensor ????

Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Thanks for any advice.
    - Helms 'publishes' all GM (and other major manufactors) manuals. Service and owner manuals. www.helminc.com will get you there and you can order what you need.

- Or, eBay always (or will within a few days) have an owners or service manual on sale for your car. Check the price for a new one on Helms, then bid approprately on eBay.

- Wild guess would be that a 2002 Cadillac needs 10W-30 oil. But, things change around some. If you are a quart or two low, add 10W-30 until you obtain an owner's manual. It will be ok until your next oil change. I would not use 10W-40 in a Northstar, but the newer ones may now recommend 5W-30 or even 5W-20.
    Are you saying your low fuel message came on, you added something around 10 gallons ('filled up half a tank') and the guage still indicated only 1/4 tank?

If so, sounds like your new car needs a new fuel sender. (And, as I think I've said before, I would replace the fuel pump while they are doing it.) Another $300 + labor coming? Maybe another fuel tank? Going to get to use that new warranty? (You need to check the warranty - some will pay for NOTHING in the first 30 days or so. Keeps people from buying a warranty when something is already busted.)

Ok, one thing. I THINK, by 2002 Cadillac smartened up some and put an access panel in the bottom of the trunk so the top of the fuel tank (and fuel pump/sender) can be accessed thru the trunk without dropping the tank. Labor should be much less than on your older Cadillac.
    Bolivar,
    I'm so glad to know that you have a 2002....now I know who to ask 100 questions :0

No. First the low fuel message came on
    (which I thought unusual because there was still a 1/4 tank showing)

THEN the screen went dark and it said " CHECK FUEL GAUGE"

When I added what would have been 1/2 tank of gasoline,(about 8 gallons) and looked at the gauge, it showed me that I had 3/4 tank full.

So the gauge is wrong. Anyway, why would "low gas " come on when you still have a 1/4 tank ?

On my 93 it came on when you had two gallons left.

I believe this tank is 18 gallons...so I had to have at least 4 gallons left...no reason for light to come on???

Does your 2002 do that at 1/4 tank ?

BTW, Zim Zam gave me a good clue googling 2002 Cad Owner's Manual - 462 pages - and I've just spent about 3 hours reading it online (:
    In adobe so I couldn't print individual pages -
    but at least I found out what some of these knobs and buttons are.

Funny, in the 93 I could put the radio on in the back, in the front, or on both front and back. Apparently you can't do that with this new one.

And I agree with others who complained about the visor...very flimsy, positioning strange, and cheap.. should have taken my 93 visor and mirror with me :D (grinning) !!!!

Thanks again you guys, all advice much appreciated.
  • amkdevileamkdevile Member Posts: 19
    Look on top of the cap where you put the oil in. It should tell you what to use.

I have a 2005 and it uses 5W30. You can call a Cadillac dealer and talk to service manager. Not service writer. He could confirm it for you.
    I have been shopping around for either a 2002 or a 2003 Deville now foor about a month now. And I have narrowed it down to two of them. But I live in Massachusetts and it seems like every one that I look at with about 50,000 miles is from $16000 to $19000. And every one of them that is under 50,000 is over &20,000. When I look down in the Connecticut and New York area they are a good $5,000 cheaper. Is it like that throughout the country? Am I just unlucky where I live to have to pay more for Devilles. And forget about an 2004 with low miles. I would be paying in the upper mid 20's to 30's if I was to get one of them.
    Zim,

I'm in florida so there are quite a lot of
    Cadillacs down here, and I found the ones with low mileage 19000 to 30000 miles were (02,03,04) were about 19 thou to 24 thou - and that was for base devilles, not the DHS (DHS was very hard to find)- but if you have a trade and can bargain it should bring it down - it depends on the dealership -

If you want to take a trip to Florida, I'll tell you where I got mine :) they have 2002, 2003 and 2004 used and are more reasonable than any others I found - and I had been looking for more than 6 months ...

Also the 2008's are coming out in August (I think it is) so I think they would want to push out their cars in July - it also makes the 02 to 04 a year older. Also ask the dealer how long the car has been on their lot, cause if it's approaching 60 days they turn it over to the wholesaler to get it off their lot - the longer the car has been on their lot, the more anxious they would be to deal-

Since I'm originally from Connecticut, I can tell you there were a lot of Caddys up there closer to Rhode Island cause you are really driving long distances - so you might find a lot of high mileage there - I'd be careful of Caddys driven in New York if commuting to the city -

Also my thought is try that discount Cadillac place in Pennsylvania where they also discount
    the warrantee (the one I found on this forum
    and I called) www.gmoutlet.com
  • chetjchetj Member Posts: 324
    if you can afford it why not?...also watch for a manifold gasket problem that Gm has been having with dexcool coolant, there is a lawsuit you can read about on net...sometimes the coolant rots out gasket...watch coolant level as well and dont go 5 years on same coolant like dexcool claims, just to be safe
    Hey, I never said I have a 2002. I sleep good at night, I don't own a Cadillac.

Ok, I've owned 2 Cadillacs. And read some about them.

Your fuel gauge ---- It might be working ok. And, it might not be working ok. I think you need to drive the car some more and get used to how the gauge 'displays'. Fill that sucker up. Watch how it goes down. Fuel displays vary significantly. After all, this is a mechanical float in a big tank, bouncing and sloshing around in a witches brew of gasoline and additives, tied to a cheap reostat (sp) and then pushed thru who knows how many connections and what kind of additional electronics and computer programming to give a display on a digital dash.

You're luck when you get anything at all!

P.S. Buy that owners manual from eBay. I know that radio has a 'fade' control, it's just tough to find, especially reading a pdf file.

(And, I've always been able to print selected pages out of a pdf. You need to carefully look at the print screen that comes up. There should be a place to list the page numbers you want to print. Not the number seen in the pdf image of the page, the number that Adobe is using to put the image on the screen.)

Ok, now. Both my Cadillacs gave digital fuel readouts. 'F' for full, then it started counting down in gallons. 17, 16, 15, etc. When this becomes erratic, you usually need a new fuel gauge sender unit, located inside the fuel tank. While you are in there, replace the fuel pump. The 'assembly' has been verified by you as costing about $300. The sender and pump can be bought separately, but the labor will be significant to replace either, so when an auto has 50,000 mile or more, my recommendation would be to replace both if you have to go in there after either one.
    The problem is not manifold gaskets, it's head gaskets. And, it's not a Dexcool problem. The Northstar motor has always had this problem, and Cadillac does not seem to want to do any design work to correct it.

Fear of head gasket problems is exactly why I do not own a Cadillac. My wife loves them, I am terrified of a $3,000 head gasket repair on a car worth only $10,000 or so.

The problem is with the alumium engine and heads. Alumium is a soft metal. The heads basically will not stay screwed down to the engine, which allows a leak of compression gas (the gas produced when the gasoline explodes in the cylinder) into the cooling passages, which are in the engine and head. The gasket seals and separates the cylinder, coolant passages, and oil passages where the head bolts down to the engine. Northstars fail with the gasses blowing into the coolant passage. The oil passages seldom opens up. Northstars do not get oil into the coolant or coolant into the oil - you get hot gasses into the coolant and very quick and very high over-heating of the coolant.

If you test drive a Cadillac, you must get it out on the highway or drive it up a steep hill, to 'load' the motor. If it overheats - run away, run away, run away!!!

Repair involves removing the motor, removing the heads (do both, only and idiot would only repair one head), overdrilling all the head bolt holes, retreading the head bolt holes, screwing in a special steel insert with threads, then putting the whole thing back together and back in the car. The steel inserts will hold the head bolts screwed into them and will not fail again. Why Cadillac will not go ahead and build the engine with these steel inserts - No one knows.

Doing this repair is not something even some dealers will do. It will cost about $2,500 - $3,000, with most of the cost being labor.

Except for the head gasket problem, Northstars engines are about bulletproof. There are some transmission internal solonid problems (which can be rather cheap or very expensive to repair, depending on which ones break), otherwise the transmissions are bulletproof.

There is a known problem with crank position sensors in 2000 and 2001 years (sometimes, in other years). Crank sensors will cause a car to totally die while just going down the road - scary.

There have been expensive problems with the steering gear. The suspension struts, sway bar links, and the rear 'air' suspension are another area that will give problems.

Some Northstars use oil. Which causes absolutely no problem with the motor, and oil (compaired to the gas you put thru it), is cheap. Some Northstars leak oil, which is also very expensive to fix. Put a piece of cardboard under the car in the garage and forget about the leak.

The car has a huge amount of electronics all over the car that can give trouble.

A Cadillac is a very comfortable, very quiet, very powerful, very nice looking, car. The 'sport' versions will handle rather well. The 'sedan' versions ride like a cloud, and handle rather badly. The Northstar will give excellent gas milage on the highway, you should be able to get 25+mpg.

But, expect repairs. And, in my opinion, having the car 'religously serviced by a dealer' will not make much difference, except move money from your pocket to a dealers. If you keep oil in the Northstar, and change it ocassionally, it's going to keep running. Until one of the above areas break.
    WOW and WOW again.

I just looked up the lawsuits that Chetj talked about with Dexcool.

It's not just the cadillac but many other GM makes using Dexcool!!!! 35 million cars affected !!! Lawyers trying for class action suit.

Meanwhile, what to use instead of Dexcool ??????

This guy, former owner of the car, (I have all the repair papers) had a piston,rod and rings replaced/blown at 17,000 miles...and "hose,engine coolant, lower replace" at 18000 miles(indicating he was another who has had this problem and I also see a mark on the back leather seat which inicates to me that the battery replacement was not "aired" properly and leaked into the back seat, just as they say it would.....!!!

Now I dont know what kind of coolant they have in there and if they ever flushed the radiator before I have this gaskeet problem too !!!!!

Anyone want to tell me what I should do and expecially what coolant to use????

Sounds to me like it would be cheaper to take it to local Firestone, have them flush the radiator and replace with another coolant...but which one?

what do you think?
    From what I have been reading from bolivar and chetj and I am starting to secong guess myself on getting this Deville...

Naaa, no way I am still going to take the chance. I love them so much and I had such good luck with my 98 Deville I dont think I will ever own any other car but a Deville. I guess you just have to watch yourself when choosing a Cadillac. Make sure its certified from a reputable dealer if its used, also do what bolivar says while you test drive the car and really open it up on the highway and get it good and hot while you watch the temperature gauge. And with a little luck, and a warranty, off you go with the most comfortable car that I have ever known. I also really like the whole digital dashboard on the Deville. That is one of my favorite things about these cars. I cant stand the and the digital speedometer on the dashboard. I really like the wood trim on the sreering wheels on the DTS and DHS but then they have to ruin it for me with the dial speedometer. But anyway hopefully by this time Wednesday night I will either have my new used 2002 Deville or my new used 2003 Deville. woohoo!
    Hey lady did you mean go to gmoutlet.com for a warranty or for a car?
    Zim,
    try them for both - maybe they have the caddy at a reasonable price you're looking for - they do say discount - and that they discount the warrantee.. read their whole site.

Meanwhile Bolivar is right about it's being a problem with plastic and aluminum radiator with little copper, and the GM coolant turning to sludge. Look what I found on the Consumer Affairs complaints:

"M L of San Rafael CA (08/26/06) *WE'VE FIXED THE PROBLEM(S)!!
    And while it's irritating to look back and see how much $$ I've needlessly thrown at my '92 K1500 Chevy Blazer, several radiators, head gasket, heater core, trans cooler lines, uptake gaskets, pretty much everything that has come into contact with cooling fluids has either corroded or slowly disintigrated. All due to what turns out to be a basic electrical design flaw at GM.
    radiator guy hates Dexcool, suspects that perhaps it's the electrolisis that causes the Dexcool to turn to a jelly goop.
    Says the higher the amp reading in the radiator, the more goopy Dexcool seems to be.

My story: The original radiator in my '92 Chevy lasted a good while (hint: older radiators had A LOT more copper in them). The trouble really all started and in a big way, after replacing the original radiator. I did pay the $500.00 for the new GM radiator. (hint: the newer made radiators have little to no copper in them. They are mostly aluminum and steel) Within a couple months, I started having to dump money into my K1500 Blazer, LOTS of it!
    When radiator #3 started leaking, I got fed up with my mechanic, who kept saying, it's a high milage vehicle. I should expect this. Not thinking it was even slightly odd that everything seemed to be connected to the cooling system or somehow come into contact with it, even though nearly every repair seemed to require draining the radiator?? So, I looked for the oldest, greasiest, busiest, radiator shop in my area. First thing the guy did, after hearing the list of repairs I'd made, was to drop a probe in the radiator to check for a charge, in other words, electrolysis. An acceptable reading is .03 amps. I was running at .38 amps!! Turning the engine off it would only drop it to .27 amps.
    So, he replaced leaking radiator #3, and rechecked it,.. .58 amps!! It went up! He shrugged and said, new one must have even less copper than the last one. I've seen a lot of these GM's with this crap going on. I've been doing this thing that seems to fix this problem. Then an off-duty local cop pulled in with his Blazer, newer than mine. We got to talking, he'd had most of the same problems and this radiator guy fixed it for him 3 years ago, and hadn't had a problem since.
    Here's what my guy did...
    #1 - Attached three, braided ground cables, randomly to the radiator and the block, and grounded them.
    #2 - Then took a piece of copper pipeing aprox 3 long, with the same hollow as the heater-core hose, soddered a copper ground wire to the side of it. Midpoint on the hose running from the radiator to the heatercore, he spliced this small copper pipe into the line using hose clamps. Then using the ground wire he had soddered to it, grounded it to the engine block.
    #3 - Drained and refilled the cooling system with DISTILLED water and GREEN coolant. Dexcool in his experance is CRAP, and I quote him. He did all this very quickly, then dropped the probe into the radiator and poof .02 amps! It cost me $100. He has me come in to recheck the amps once a month. And still 6 months later, .02 amps, and no new problems. I was averaging 1 problem per month, a leak here, a suspicious gasket there. Now nothing. So, it seems to me that there are really two problems. One affecting the other. A cooling system grounding problem, electrolysis resulting in corrosion and dissintigration of parts and gaskets. And then Dexcool which is unstable in an electrically charged enviroment and turns to goop. Maybe I'm wrong but my '92 K1500 Blazer now has 212K miles on the original engine"
    Too bad I didn't read all of this before I purchased the car - I would have still purchased but demanded they check these things for damage already done, flush the radiator and change to a different coolant.

Look what I found among all the consumer complaints about the GM cars using Dexcool:

"M L of San Rafael CA (08/26/06) *WE'VE FIXED THE PROBLEM(S)!!
    And while it's irritating to look back and see how much $$ I've needlessly thrown at my '92 K1500 Chevy Blazer, several radiators, head gasket, heater core, trans cooler lines, uptake gaskets, pretty much everything that has come into contact with cooling fluids has either corroded or slowly disintigrated. All due to what turns out to be a basic electrical design flaw at GM.
    radiator guy hates Dexcool, suspects that perhaps it's the electrolisis that causes the Dexcool to turn to a jelly goop.
    Says the higher the amp reading in the radiator, the more goopy Dexcool seems to be.

My story: The original radiator in my '92 Chevy lasted a good while (hint: older radiators had A LOT more copper in them). The trouble really all started and in a big way, after replacing the original radiator. I did pay the $500.00 for the new GM radiator. (hint: the newer made radiators have little to no copper in them. They are mostly aluminum and steel) Within a couple months, I started having to dump money into my K1500 Blazer, LOTS of it!
    When radiator #3 started leaking, I got fed up with my mechanic, who kept saying, it's a high milage vehicle. I should expect this. Not thinking it was even slightly odd that everything seemed to be connected to the cooling system or somehow come into contact with it, even though nearly every repair seemed to require draining the radiator?? So, I looked for the oldest, greasiest, busiest, radiator shop in my area. First thing the guy did, after hearing the list of repairs I'd made, was to drop a probe in the radiator to check for a charge, in other words, electrolysis. An acceptable reading is .03 amps. I was running at .38 amps!! Turning the engine off it would only drop it to .27 amps.
    So, he replaced leaking radiator #3, and rechecked it,.. .58 amps!! It went up! He shrugged and said, new one must have even less copper than the last one. I've seen a lot of these GM's with this crap going on. I've been doing this thing that seems to fix this problem. Then an off-duty local cop pulled in with his Blazer, newer than mine. We got to talking, he'd had most of the same problems and this radiator guy fixed it for him 3 years ago, and hadn't had a problem since.
    Here's what my guy did...
    #1 - Attached three, braided ground cables, randomly to the radiator and the block, and grounded them.
    #2 - Then took a piece of copper pipeing aprox 3 long, with the same hollow as the heater-core hose, soddered a copper ground wire to the side of it. Midpoint on the hose running from the radiator to the heatercore, he spliced this small copper pipe into the line using hose clamps. Then using the ground wire he had soddered to it, grounded it to the engine block.
    #3 - Drained and refilled the cooling system with DISTILLED water and GREEN coolant. Dexcool in his experance is CRAP, and I quote him. He did all this very quickly, then dropped the probe into the radiator and poof .02 amps! It cost me $100. He has me come in to recheck the amps once a month. And still 6 months later, .02 amps, and no new problems. I was averaging 1 problem per month, a leak here, a suspicious gasket there. Now nothing. So, it seems to me that there are really two problems. One affecting the other. A cooling system grounding problem, electrolysis resulting in corrosion and dissintigration of parts and gaskets. And then Dexcool which is unstable in an electrically charged enviroment and turns to goop. Maybe I'm wrong but my '92 K1500 Blazer now has 212K miles on the original engine"
    Talking about problems with a 1992 auto? 15 years old? I didn't even read all that, and I'm sure not going to discuss it.

Dexcool does not have a problem. Modern cooling systems are semi-closed systems and are supposed to have no air in them. Under these conditions Dexcool works fine. I say semi-closed because when coolant gets hot it expands into the expansion collector, and when it cool off, coolant is pulled back into the system.

If the system leaks and is allowed to run low on coolant and get air into the system, then Dexcool has had some problems in some vehicles. It's my understanding the problem comes from Dexcool interacting with cast iron and air, and then does sludge up.

If the system is maintained, with full charge of Dexcool and no air in the system, there are no problems.

Personally, I will not run my vehicles 7 years and/or 100,000 miles, or whatever the maintenance calls for, before changing my coolant. I would think 4 years and/or 50,000 would be a good time to drain the old coolant and refill with new. Serviced like this, and checking the system for leaks and is topped up - you should have no problems. After 5-7 years, you might develop leaks in the radiator and need a new one. Things wear out.
  • hotel1hotel1 Member Posts: 50
    1992 truck with deathcool???????????????

GM started using "Deathcool" in 1996 !!!!!
    From found article: Dexcool is a formulated antifreeze/coolant used in over thirty-four million vehicles sold by General Motors. Used by GM since 1996 in most car and light truck models, Dexcool is manufactured and distributed by ChevronTexaco, Equilon and ChevronTexaco Global Lubricants.

More info: http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/dexcool-macs2001.htm
    Very interesting post on the sludge corrosion problems caused by Dexcool.

Bolivar, I only re-printed that fellow's solution for users of dexcool.

It doesnt matter whether people are using it in a 1992 car or a 2006 car. They are all ending up with leaking coolant, needing new gaskets, water pumps, and in many cases new engines as the coolant "corrodes" whatever it touches as it runs through the engine.

Not only are 28 "states suing GM for dexcool, but GM itself sued Dupont for dexcool. Missouri got class action status - other states have not. That says there is something seriously wrong with dexcool speaking from a legal point of view, because lawyers dont go before federal judges without the facts and a very good provable case for class actions.

My car already had the problem at 17000 miles with piston and rings blown and replaced as well as hoses. other cars have had it at 15,000 miles. That is not normal. If you go over and read consumer complaints you will see again and again, technicians saying that have piled up corroded head gaskets - that dexcool eats them up ----

since I'm over the 5 year warranty - I want that CRAP out of my car and to check how much damage has been done already.

I'd rather be safe than have to put in a new engine. This car has already had 35 visits and many replacements at the dealer before 35,000 miles !!! And I dont think that's normal.

the reports of people who took out the dexcool and went to regular green antifreeze after a good flushing - and thereafter had no problems is also very telling...and there are many of those.

Alhough I certainly respect your knowledge, The facts on dexcool are not agreeing with you, except to say that there is a problem with dexcool eating up the plastic parts and hoses in a car with an aluminum radiator.
    I've had an MG, a Thunderbird, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and a cadillac previously and in all of those cars, even though a woman, I have always checked the dipstick/oil and refilled/topped off antifreeze myself with regular, usually Prestone (green)antifreeze. I've been driving since I was 18.

I have never never ever seen anything like what was shown on those caps or in the overflow from dexcool !.
    Lawyers love to sue companys.

Class action lawsuits are gold mines for the lawyers. They make millions and millions and millions and a stupid judge gives a coupon to the consumer for reduced price to buy more of the service/item sued about.

The other poster quoted 34 million vehicles with Dexcool. Do you see the sides of the roads littered with dead GM (and many other vehicles use Dexcool or Dexcool type coolant) cars, all with blown head gaskets, rotted hose, and leaky radiators caused by Dexcool? I don't think so.

From my understanding, as I said, Dexcool has had some sludging problems when air is allowed into the system.

Rotting hoses, head gasket failure, radiator leaks - these all seem to me to be design problems in these items, not something caused by the coolant running in then.

In my new 1978 Chevy, I changed drained and refilled coolant after 2 years. In the 3rd year, the radiator leaked. The radiator repairman said "They just don't make radiators like they used to do." This would have been in about 1981. They've probably only gotten worse and worse since then....
    You know i hear it 50/50 from people. Some people swear by dexcool and other people hate it. I have personly never had a problem with it, but thanks Lady for the info because now I know what to look for incase I do start to have problems. It does make you wonder though. Should I flush out the dexcool and put in regular antifreeze. I guess the question I am asking here is will regular antifreeze hurt your Cadillac Deville? Why does it say to only use Dexcool? What will regular antifreeze do to if you change to it?
    'Regular' antifreeze can be used in place of Dexcool. The only thing - regular antifreeze is good for only about 2 years, then needs a flush and refill.

And - this is important - if you dump Dexcool and go to regular green antifreeze - you CANNOT go back to Dexcool and get its EXTENDED USE CAPABILITIES (5 years/100,000 miles). The green antifreeze will leave a residual that will negate the extended properties of Dexcool.
    I just picked up my new used 2002 Deville today and man is it a sweet ride. I have been a little uneasy the past few days on which Deville I should get, but I will say that I am very happy with the choice I made. It is white with the black rag top. It has a sun roof and the interior is black too. A real nice ride. I thought I was gong to miss my 1998 Deville but I have not thought of it until just now. I dont think I will ever own another kind of car as my main vehicle that i drive all the time. I have had good luck with them and its like driving a castle. So I am a happy man right now.
    Congratulations ZimZam,

Did you get a DHS?and the memory package and the back up buttons?
    I have to say,although my 2002 is not as snazzy as your white with black, I do have the sun roof and I'm happy with my new car, but I do miss my old 93....I could drive it like a
    sportscar, with this one, I'm more careful - and I do miss the turning ratio - if I wanted to make a tight turn, like a u-ey, no problem...the turning ratio on the 2002 seems wider...and am learning can't make tight u-eyes with it..I'm also going to try to find the front stand up insignia..find I'm missing that...cause it told me where the front of the car is ---now when I park in a space, I dont stop till my front wheels are hitting somethhing. LOL.
    Thanks for the congrats lady. But I just got the base Deville. I like the base Deville's a little better than the DHS & DTS. And the reason is a silly one. Its because of the digital dash board. On the DHS & DTS I noticed that the dash board had both, the dial speedometer & RPM gauge, along with the digital speedometer. I didnt like the dial speedometer & RPM gauge, I like the whole thing to be digital, which is how the base Devilles come. I guess the new Deville's, which are all called DTS's, all come with both, the dial speedometer and RPM gauge and the digital. So I hope they go back to the all digital. I know it seems silly but that is how I like my car.

And no I didnt get the back up buttons. But there was a 2004 Deville I was looking at that I almost got but they wouldnt come down to the price I was willing to pay. But that one had the airconditioned seats. I really wanted that option, but maybe next time.

As for the turning ratio on my new 2002 Deville, it is actually a little better than my 98 Deville. On my 98 Deville the front end was actually a little longer than the 2002 I have now. It also seems not as wide as the 98, but Im pretty sure the wheel base is listed as the same. I just think it is an all around better ride. And that is saying alot because even though my 98 had 160,000 miles on it, it still drove awesome.

Im trying to think what your 93 Deville look liked. I will try to find one online so I can get an idea. But on your 2002 DHS your Cadillac insignia is right on the grill right? I am pretty sure on the DHS's and DTS's the insignia was put right in the front grill as opposed to the base Deville that has the insignia as a hood ornament. But just use the middle of your front end as where your insignia should be. Once you get the hang of your car I am sure you will do just fine parking it. Hopefully. hehe
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I did not have any problems with dexcool in my 98 Aurora or my 2002 Seville. The one thing that is important is to monitor the coolant levels and have any loss of coolant checked out and repaired quickly. Adding coolant without finding out the reason for the lost fluid may result in the problems that you are raving about.
  • virginian1virginian1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Cadillac is just back from the dealer after a $5.0 K cylinder head replacement job at 63,000 miles after always having been regularly maintained by a Cadillac dealer. This is a design/material/assembly problem that was built into the engine the day it left the production line. Instead of standing behind their product,Cadillac is hiding behind their warranty. Cadillac offers no relief of any kind since the car is "out of Warranty" Is there a class action lawsuit on this product deficiency that I can join. Any help will be appreciated.
    You said 'cylinder head replacement job', but I bet you mean a head gasket job.

Nope, no class action I know of.

Why don't you find a law firm and get one started?

Head gasket failures are a very well known failure for Northstar engines.
    Somewhere I saw an article that 28 states have lawsuits against GM concerning various problems "caused by dexcool" but here's todays
    from Detroit Press/Aftermarket News:

E-mail the AMN editor Amy Antenora

Ruling is Near on GM Engine Coolant: Class Action Sought over Dex-Cool
    In Wednesday, May 24, 2006 Issue, Category:OE News
    Printer-friendly version

E-mail this article

Subscribe to aftermarketNews
    Posted: May 24, 2006, 9 a.m., EST

From Detroit Free Press

A federal judge may soon rule whether General Motors Corp. will face a national class action suit accusing GM of selling millions of vehicles with a faulty coolant.

The suits stem from GM's use of Dex-Cool, a coolant it first introduced in its vehicles in 1995 and sold in more than 35 million cars and trucks between 1995 and 2004. According to GM, 14 federal and state lawsuits seeking class-action status have been filed against GM over a variety of engine problems linked to Dex-Cool.

Customers have complained of problems ranging from small coolant leaks to complete radiator and engine failure. Court documents show that GM has received tens of thousands of repair requests related to Dex-Cool and engine gaskets in the affected models and considered recalls for some models.

The company has issued several technical bulletins to its dealers about cooling-related problems in the engines, but says it prefers to handle customer complaints on a case-by-case basis.

When GM introduced the orange-colored Dex-Cool, it said in owners manuals that Dex-Cool could last up to five years or 100,000 miles without being replaced, and later extended Dex-Cool's life to 150,000 miles. Dex-Cool uses a different set of chemicals to protect engine parts than traditional green-colored coolant, which requires more frequent replacement, and GM was the first U.S. automaker to use it.

Attorneys for the owners say that clause means GM should repair any Dex-Cool-related problems, even if they crop up outside the engine's typical three-year or 36,000-mile engine warranty.

"What we're looking for is to have GM step up and honor its warranty obligation," said Eric Gibbs, a San Francisco attorney and one of the lead lawyers for the owners. "There's a significant public interest in this problem, no question about that."

GM claims that the owners manual clause was not a warranty, but a service interval. In its court filings, the automaker says Dex-Cool "has performed without problems in the vast majority of GM vehicles."

"The recent motion to certify a class action is unfortunate," said GM spokeswoman Geri Lama, "and the situation with our customers has been grossly overstated through unsubstantiated allegations in statements which have not been proven in court and will be vigorously defended."

Six of the federal lawsuits have been consolidated in a federal court in East St. Louis, IL, U.S. District Judge G. Patrick Murphy could rule at any time whether the cases, which have about 100 named plaintiffs, should be granted class-action status, meaning they could represent millions of former and current GM owners.

Three similar lawsuits has been filed in Canada, while a state lawsuit in Missouri has already won class-action status, a decision GM is appealing.

The troubles blamed on Dex-Cool range from leaking coolant to blown engines, and often include failed intake manifold gaskets, pieces that rest between the engine block and the air intake to prevent coolant and oil from leaking. Replacing a gasket usually runs about $700, but a bad gasket can cause enough damage that the engine has to be replaced.

Mixing Dex-Cool with another coolant can cause other problems, and GM doesn't recommend using other coolants in Dex-Cool engines, although some mechanics do swap coolants.

About 110 complaints of coolant leaks in the GM vehicles targeted by the lawsuit have been filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, according to a Free Press review. The agency rejected a call for a defect investigation in 2002, saying the problems weren't safety related and was therefore outside its purview.

Many of the complaints say the problems appear to begin around 60,000 miles, well beyond the engine's warranty but sooner than many customers believe they should have problems with their cooling systems. A few have been reported as early as 20,000 miles.

Mark Reynolds, a radiator repair shop owner in San Carlos, CA, says he sees one or two GM vehicles a week with Dex-Cool problems. A typical repair requires flushing the cooling system and in some cases taking the radiator apart.

"It's a shame -- vehicles in their fourth or fifth year with this awful, gooey mud attacking the top of the radiator cap and fouling up the radiator," he said.

GM has argued against certifying the lawsuit as a class action, noting that state courts in Michigan and California have already turned down similar lawsuits. It contends that the plaintiffs want to represent past and present owners who don't have any problems, and that they "complain of just about everything that can go wrong with a vehicle, attributing every bit of it to Dex-Cool."

Lama said if a GM customer has a problem beyond the warranty, GM has a process for dealing with it through its dealers.

"The first priority of General Motors and its dealers is helping our customers," Lama said.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    Thank you very much for your post! While I recently traded my 2004 Deville for a 2006 DTS, I appreciate the fact that important information like this is posted at this site as it will be most helpful to current owners. I have been surprised that these valuable owners forums don't have more posts regarding potentially important issues relating to the overall ownership experiences and issues.
    Anyone seeing any deals on 2006 or 2007 DTS's with low miles on dealer lots in the midwest? I have heard there won't be as many low mileage program cars available due to rentals being limited and GM executive vehicles being kept for longer periods driving up the mileage. Not many low mileage DTS's on dealer's lots in southern Indiana. :cry:
  • scoatwscoatw Member Posts: 1
    My father-in-law is having a problem with his battery draining. The shop told him that it was coming from his load leveler. So the mechanic disconnected the load leveler. Dad wants to know if he puts heavy duty shocks on the car if he can keep the load levelers disconnected.
    Do a search on this forum. I think there was a reply earlier that talked about doing away with the special shocks on some models and replacing them with normal shocks and disabling the ride light on the dash. You might even ask your local parts store if they have ever been involved with a customer doing this. Good luck.
  • sotelosotelo Member Posts: 1
    ANYMORE INFO ON THE CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT. I JUST HAD TO PAY $3700 TO REPAIR A BLOWN HEAD GASKET ON MY 1998 STS.

MANY THANKS,
    JIM
    I wonder if the main reason for a lawsuit involving ten year old engines is the potential lawyer fees? I wouldn't think any car maker would have much liability for engine problems on vehicles that old? Good luck anyway.