Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Well, I think you have quite a bit wrong here.

If he truly has blown head gaskets on a Northstar, there is more to it than replacing the gaskets and using new head bolts.

He will have to have the motor pulled. This is the only way to make the following repair because you cannot reach the rear head to do this.

The heads have to be pulled. (If you do this, do both heads.) Just unscrewing the head bolts will many times damage more of the bolts, stripping the alumium threads. Then the motor has to be 'Timeserted'. This is a package which has a metal jig (which can be reused, shops that have done this before will already have this) which is bolted to the motor and all the bolt holes are drilled out. Then threads are re-tapped into the holes. Then a special Timesert insert is screwed in. Then the head can be put back on with a new gasket and new bolts, which screw into the new insert. The heads themselves usually are fine, they are almost bulletproof, there is no milling needed. Then the motor can be put back in.

This is usually around a $3,000 job. The main part is labor. Pulling the motor (and transmission together), drilling, tapping, assembly and then putting the motor back into the car. Parts are only something like $500-$750 or so, including a Timesert kit and the needed gaskets, etc.

When you are looking at a $6,000 car (1999 Deville), you really need to think about putting $3,000 into it. A lot of beautiful Cadillacs are scrapped because of the cost of a head job.
  • scottparkscottpark Member Posts: 1
    i have a 87 sedan deville that wont start .it just stoped one day .it has 90,000 miles 4.1 engine, has spark.its getting fuel. local dealer told me its proly the cam shaft .i just got the vehicle so no real history .i have tried moving the timing around i can get it to where it sounds like its going to start but doesnt. any one have a idea about this ?
  • walterm3walterm3 Member Posts: 8
    My DTS is approaching 100,000 miles - time for tune up. What else should I expect or need other than engine tune up? Do the electronic shocks wear out like the older shocks/struts?
    What are you expecting to service? What does your owner's manual say?

If it were mine, I would do:
    -Plugs
    -Plug wires (may not have these, may be coil-on-plug)
    -Coolant
    -Drain transmission fluid (don't flush. But be sure whoever does this knows there is a second plug after you pull the pan that need to be pulled.)
  • walterm3walterm3 Member Posts: 8
    Perhaps I should have been more spcific - What can I expect the Cadillac Service Manager to suggest needs to be done at 100,000 miles. Again- are shocks/struts on the agenda?
    He may suggest that any liquid near the car, including your Slushy drink in the cup holder be changed.

Rotate the air in the tires.

The liquid change should include the turn signal fluid.

Grease the muffler bearings.

What's so hard about looking at the service items in the owner's manual for the 100,000 service?

The list I previously gave should cover it.

I can't say much about the struts. Is the car banging when going over bumps? If so, there my be a need for struts, or other suspension components, such as sway bar linkages. If the struts are electronically controlled, there will be sensor in there that tell the computer if they are working ok. If they are not, there will be a check engine light turned on and/or a message displayed in your Display Information Condition (DIC) on your dash.
  • brendansbrendans Member Posts: 1
    99 Caddy Deville. the trunk release and fuel door release have stopped working, no clicking noise either. remote key buttons won't open them either. doors do open with remote. I've replaced the radio/phone and convenc fuses in the trunk but it didn't help. could it be another fuse ? or something else?
    brendans
    Does your have the 'Valet' button in the edge of the glove box?

If so, you may have pushed this. It disables opening the trunk.
  • 2008200820082008 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 caddy deville my headlights come on by themselves only in daytime when I put the car in gear only and at night they dont come at all and my dash says headlights suggested does any one no whats my problem
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I think that the in the daytime you see the daylight running lights. Are you sure that the automatic headlights on switch is turned on? If it is then it has failed.
  • jokerjustin37jokerjustin37 Member Posts: 3
    Hey does anyone know how to change the steering wheel of a 98 cadillac without having th airbag deploy???
  • mopajimopaji Member Posts: 1
    My wife was pulling out of a parking spot in her 2001 Honda Civic and bumped my brother's 2001 DeVille rear bumper. She looked for damage and saw none so she came home. Now, he says that she caused $1,600.00 worth of damage because she cracked his bumper. Mind you, the Honda had just been painted not even two months prior and still had no scuffs or anything. My question is, could she have caused that much damage while not getting even a scratch on her little civic?

Thanks for any and all input!
    Easily.

If a crack in the bumper cover was actually found, and the underlying 5mph bumper guarding structure was damaged, and then the painting of a new bumper cover - easily $1,600 to cover repairing all of this.
    Yes, the damage was certainly there. However, the damage could have been someone else who bumped into it at an earlier time and drove off without reporting.
    I just responded to the question if damage to a rear bumper could come to $1,600.

Now there is another position as to the possibility that the damage could be repaired for less.......

I've seen repair estimates for the same damage vary by almost 100% of a lower estimate.
    Until the bumper is taken apart the extent of the damage is not known. Usually the insurance company will require more than one estimate, or may have their adjuster do the esitmate. The plastic part that is cracked will probably need to be replaced and this part is probably expensive. If it is repairable, then the cost should be less, but $1500 is not a lot for body damage these days.
    I should have responded to your post. The damage to the DeVille is probably real. However your question is valid as to whether the Civic caused it or if it was already there from some previous impact. How hard was the "bump"?
  • railerrailer Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to Cadillac's. I recently purchased a used 1997 Cadillac DeVille. I have a problem starting my 1997 Cadillac DeVille (mileage approx 100,000) in the morning when the engine is cold and morning temperatures are around 50 degrees. (I don't have a problem starting the vehicle in the evening when outside temperatures are above 70 degrees.) Once started, the vehicle runs fine. The problem is getting it started. I took the vehicle to a local repair shop and they said no problems showed up on the computer. They indicated that pressure is lost overnight in the fuel line and they suggested replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter and clean injectors for $1100. Has anyone had similar problems? Will their recommended solutions solve my problem? By the way, this sounds a little expensive! Thanks in advance for all responses!
    It could be a leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR).

Are you somewhat 'handy' around the motor? It's pretty easy to check for a leak. The FPR is about $60, and can be replaced easily also.
  • pagarpagar Member Posts: 1
    This is first time I'm on this forum. I inherited 98 deville northstar with 45,000 miles. Gas is killing me...17 mpg ave. What about regular gas and octane additive? I don't want to ruin the car. Like new. Should I even attempt it or just be safe and use high test???
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I also owned a 1998 Deville from 2001 to 2004. My 98
    Deville got an average of about 20 MPG in the city and 27 on the highway. Think your car may need some fine tuning. If you have a dealership you trust take the car in for your next oil change and bring this up to the service department, suspect they can put the car on computer diagnostic system and find out why your fuel economy is below average for your car.
    Forgot to mention that i have used STP fuel injector cleaner fluid on my 1998 Deville. Never had any problems with the Northstar system using this product but can't say for sure that it helped. The cost is around 90 cents per container. The folks at STP claim that it helps fuel economy and keeps fuel injectors clean.
    A lot depends on how agressive you drive, or the conditions you drive. If you have an easy foot on the gas, I think you can drop to mid-grade without any problems. You could probably drop to regular, and will hear some pinging, but still have no problems.

But, it you accelerate quickly, or drive in mountainous roads, you may need to keep premium gas in to. When the motor is under heavy load is when premium is needed to eliminate pinging.

I think if you drop the grade, your milage will probably also drop.

And I agree, the 20mph should be what you can get with a mix of in-town and highway driving, and with constant highway driving, you should be able to get 25mgp or better. On premium.
  • lilballerlilballer Member Posts: 2
    Hey I jus got bought my first car and it a cadillac deville 2003 with a northstar engine It has a little over 75,000 miles but while driving today It started to give off a foul smell i smelt like a rotten egg I check the engine and seen nothin then I looked ubder the car and seen sumthing hangin down it was drippin fluid and giving off steam can anyone help me out by tellin me what this r what the problem may be?
    Well, let's see. A Caddy has the following fluids:

-Oil
    -Coolant (antifreeze)
    -Power Steering
    -Brake Fluid
    -Transmission Fluid
    -Gasoline
    -Windshield Washer
    -Battery Acid (the battery on your 2003 Deville is inside, under the rear seat)
    -Condensation from the Air Conditioner

Each one of these has somewhat destinctive color and odour,But some are tough to determine.

The only 'rotten egg' smell from an auto usually comes from the exhaust, and usually isn't anything to worry about. Oh, wait a minute. Battery acid has an acidic, somewhat rotten smell. You better hope this isn't a burst battery under the rear seat.

Oh, I'm adding this in here. If you are running the Air Conditioner, it will condense water our of the inside air, and there is a drain where this comes out. All cars will drip water during the summer when it is condensing out. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

In the hot summer, the first next to check is if it is coolant. Coolant will be reddish, brownish, maybe green if someone has put non-standard coolant in there, and has a sweetish smell and is slightly oily in texture.

You are going to have to give us some help here. But really, if you can't determine what is leaking, you should get it to a repair shop pretty quickly.

Leaking coolant will cause cause an error message to display when it leakes so much it is low, and when it gets even lower, the motor will overheat, displaying even more error conditions. Continuing to run the auto will ruin the motor.
  • efugateefugate Member Posts: 1
    How do you disable side impact airbags in a 1998 Cadillac Sedan deVille D'Elegance safely? We had a collison in which the driver's door was damaged and we are currently attempting to change the driver's door?
  • onelordonelord Member Posts: 9
    I have a 03 deville with 66000 miles on it. Im getting 21mpg on the highway and 19 in the city. I was wondering if I should add something to the fuel in hopes of cleaning the fuel injectors. Is this wise to do?
    I owned a 1998 Deville and later a 2004 Deville for three years each and always used STP fuel injector cleaner fluid with each fill up. never had any problems.
    The 98 got about 27 MPG highway and around 20 in town. The 2004 around 29 MPG highway and 21 city.
    You may have other issues and may want to try a complete fuel system cleaner (STP has one as do other additive companies). Have you checked your air filter or replaced recently. Your MPG stats sound low
    so you may want to investigate further if my two suggestions don't improve your MPG performance. The 98 Deville had 39,000 miles on it at time of trade and the 2004 Deville had 36,000 miles on it. Both much lower mile cars than yours but still think you should be getting better results.
    Unless you have been using very cheap unbranded gasoline, I wouldn't think you have injector problems.

With that milage, i woujld be thinking about plug wires and plugs. Us only GM wires and the recommended plugs. The wires and plugs should be good up to 100,000, but expecially if you have had some mechanical work done near the wires, they could be messed up. If you live in extremely hot area, the wires might also have broked down early.
  • onelordonelord Member Posts: 9
    I was thinking of using a good brand of injector cleaner. I dont think its the plugss the car runs smooth and has great getup. I think it just needs some injector cleaner. Thanks for the info from both of you. Any info will help all of us.
    Hope you ill let us know how the injector fluid works and if you would share the name of the specific brand you used. Hope it will give you the results you are hoping for. Best wishes.
  • vladimir27vladimir27 Member Posts: 2
    How accurate are the warning dashboard lights? On my last long
    distance trip, it said: "service engine soon". A Cadillac dealership told me the computer points to transmission. After hearing the amount of $1250.- plus, just to find the problem, I have decided to drive home, hell or high water.
    After another 800 mls , I am home now, DeVille sounds perfect and the %#&^*(@ light is off. What is going on?
    Just in case: I did check my tr. oil and it is 100% full.
    Thanks.
    Well, it could have just been an 'intermittent' error, and the dealer re-set the light, and the error did not happen again. Lucky you.

The check engine lights are usually pretty valid. One thing that will set false errors, and usually will set a whole slew of them, is a bad battery, one with low voltage. Caddys do not like low voltage (and most modern autos are the same here), and if the voltage drops to 10 or 11 volts, this might be enough to start the car, but it may set a mess of codes, make 'strange' things appear on your digital dash, make certain components do strange things, etc, etc, etc.

Your Cadillac has an extensive self diagnostic system which can easily be accessed by you. I'm not going into how to access or navigate thru this system. But, with the instructions, you can easily see the specific error 'codes' set. It will just be a number, but there are sites which will give you guidance as what general information is tied to each error code.

IF it happens again, here is a link to a site with error codes and info on how to 'get into' the diagnostic system on cadillacs

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

Hosts: Please do not slap my hands about this. You told me a ciuple years ago, that if a question needed additional info found on another site, it was ok to post the link. I'm hoping that is all that I've done here.
  • vladimir27vladimir27 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, bolivar.
    I will try the site. However since my confidence in DeVille is now big fat zero, I am thinking to replace it with Toyota or Subaru.
  • dadstoydadstoy Member Posts: 1
    I have owend this car for 4 years and not really had a problem ..untill now.a new fuel pump and filter were installed a year ago.now it starts fine runs for about 5-10 min then dies and will not restart.the fuel pressure is at 20 pounds while running,but when it dies or you shut it off it will not hold pressure.but when you try to start it it goes right back up to 20 pound and wont start.
    any ideas?
  • gmarshall1gmarshall1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have the same blower motor problem could you tell me if you resolved yours and how.
    Thanks,
    John
    Hummmmm,
    Not want to be mean, but are you aware you responded to a message 1 year and 7 months old?
  • bob3012bob3012 Member Posts: 1
    I have not had any slipping or noise or problems with my transmission until today. While driving on the highway I lost it suddenly. It will only go into first gear. Will not reverse either. Any ideas? Bob
  • jeffwilsonjeffwilson Member Posts: 45
    I am buying a used 1992 Sedan Deville w/46k miles. I want to replace the stock stereo with one that has Bluetooth and an iPod interface. Has anyone here done something like that? Can you suggest a model that would fir the car and if a new wiring harness is needed? Thanks very much in advance.
  • caddyshakercaddyshaker Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to Cadillac and don't have a whole lot of experience in mechanics....Can tear a car apart, but can't do diagnostics. I just purchased a 91 Deville Sedan that had an old battery in it. I drove it for a day, parked it and over night the battery was drained. Got it jumpstarted the next day, ran for the full day shutting it off and turning it on, went to Les Schwab because I'd picked up a roofing tack in my tire and needed it fixed. The battery was smelling like sulfur and they replaced it. Schwab tested the Alternator and said that it was running on the high side, but nothing that would cause a battery to explode. I've been pulling the cable at night to keep the battery from being drained. I noticed that someone has cut the wires to the battery and put a new terminal connector on it. There are three wires hooked into the positive and just one on the negative. I've been trying to get schematics to see if this is accurate or if someone has possibly put a negative wire on the positive post. Also i get a service air conditioner light, but was told not to worry about this when i'm driving it and these lights come on, it comes on with the coolant temp fan light and service soon light......sometimes it acts like the fan is trying to turn on and breifly acts like it's draining the battery.....i know it needs a tune up.......i got it from a parts and sales wrecking yard fairly dirt cheap. :cry:
  • jim2012jim2012 Member Posts: 1
    On 2000 Deville where is coolant sensor located? Thanks.
  • joshlin1932joshlin1932 Member Posts: 14
    I have just acquired a 1997 Cadillac DeVille 4Dr. that was in high water due to Hurricane Ike. The water got up over the bench part of the seats. I would like to know what all I would need to do to it so I will not harm it by driving it.

I have changed the oil and the Trans. fluid doesn't seem to have any water. The power seats and windows do not work but it seems that everything else works O.K.

Can someone suggest what all I should look for?
    In another forum a guy made a long series of posts about him reviving a 2001 Deville that had taken water. And, it was fresh water. You didn't say, but if it was salt water, I think your problem would be magnified a lot.

Anyway, this guy took a 2001 Deville. After starting on it, he then bought a wrecked 2000 Deville just for parts to transfer to his 'water' car. He posted lots of pictures. He worked on this car for many months, I think at least 6 or more. He completely dis-assembled the interior, removing seats, carpets, the dash, steering column. I won't go into what it was that he did to the motor and tranny, but it was much more than one oil change. I think he put like 5 or more flushes and refills of the tranny fluid.

Things like alternator, power steering pump, etc were replaced. Basically if it was electronic, it had a large chance of not coming back to life. You've got sensors on the brake system for ABS, an ABS pump in the brake fluid system, etc, etc. You have modules in the doors for the electric windows, window motors, auto up, memory seats. Under the seats are power motors for the seats and a box driving the air bags. Every sensor in any part of the car could have water in it. You have dozens of connections in the electric system with each one having the possibility of future problems from the mud and corrosion.

After all this work, he still was getting check engine lights and could not get it inspected. I don't remember exactly what he did, but he had to do something snaky to get it titled and licensed.

If you have more than $500 in a 97 Deville that was under water, I think you have a problem. Nice running versions of this car should be able to be bought for four thousand dollars. I think a car like this should be scrapped for body parts. If the motor or tranny sits for any time at all with water in it (like 4 weeks), I would fear for the effects of rust.
  • stacy77stacy77 Member Posts: 3
    We have replaced the alternator - been tested twice. We have replaced the battery - tested and works. The line that runs from the battery to the alternator has been replaced and works. Now, here is the problem. The car will run for a little while and then dies, when you turn the car off it will not start without being jumped. (That is why we replaced the alternator) Has anyone had this problem - or might want to give me some advice on where to start. It has to be electrical - could something be shorting it out. More info - the heater will stop and start again......thanks for any help anyone can give.
    Well, it makes no sense that the car will stall, then not start from the battery, if the battery is spinning the starter smartly. But will start with a jump.

If what you are saying is the car won't start after stalling, but will start later, that is a different thing. The starter might be bad - getting 'heat soaked' and then it will not start the car when it is hot. Letting the starter cool down, it then works.

A friend had a Cadillac of about this age that had a failure of the electrical connecter that goes thru the firewall into the inside of the car. It stalled and then was generally dead until they found where the problem was.

I would also look at both battery cables, and the connections where they screw on - the block for the ground, and the starter for the positive should be clean and tight. If there is corrision, the cables could be eaten up inside the rubber insulation.

Intermittent electrical problems are always difficult to find. Good luck.
    Once the car dies - it is dead!! I don't think it is the starter as it will turn over however I get the click!! I will check the the electrical connector thru the firewall. I will let you guys know how that goes. If anyone else had anything they can think of - please keep me in mind!!
  • jprussingjprussing Member Posts: 4
    I recently had the same problem.... im guessing ur voltage gauge is reading low also as if the battery is not getting a charge well on my vehicle 2 fuses had blown which are alternator output voltage fuses i replaced both and it seemed to fix the problem. as soon as i replaced one of the fuses my voltage was back up on my gauge.im not sure exactly if u have the same setup but... its somthing to look into.
  • eddieking1957eddieking1957 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 Sadan Deville. The A/C compressor does engage but does not blow . When I have the A/C on, I can feel cold air seeping from the vents. Any Ideas on what it could be? Also the air ride light keeps comming on telling me that it needs service. Can I disconnect this and install regular HD shocks on the car?
  • lilballerlilballer Member Posts: 2