Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• jmeyers1jmeyers1 Member Posts: 6
    I live in the HOT HUMID SWAMP land of the south... 9 months of the year its generally unbearable heat... 3 months of cold wet weather. The AC works great... just turn the control to the full setting for cold... another thing park your car in the shade.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    If you are in the "Sunbelt," then strongly consider getting your windows tinted. It's not just an appearance item . . . it's like an A/C upgrade. In addition, if you are planning to keep your ECHO for a long time, blocking UV radiation will extend the life of the interior materials.

Just a friendly tip from the Texas Gulf Coast, where "high 90s" can describe the Fahrenheit temp and the humidity on the same day.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I've done it on the Corolla, and I have to agree with kneisl1

micweb: which car did the air filter come from?
  • geegee1958geegee1958 Member Posts: 29
    are also great for keeping the sun from baking your dashboard and steering wheel. Don't do much for protecting the upholstery from the sun though. I have noticed people who put the sun shades on the back window ledge too- just lying flat (not up against the window), I guess to protect the fabric along the back window. Good idea I guess, especially if the fabric is black or another dark color.
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Anyone rack up some substantial (greater than 80k miles) mileage on their Echo?
  • ochmanskiochmanski Member Posts: 7
    does any one know what size the speakers are? this is for all three locations. the doors, dash and rear. i want to replace the stock ones. thanks for the help!
    Try http://www.crutchfield.com/

Even if you end up buying somewhere else, the "What Fits My Car" tool on their website is very helpful to get started.

As far as I can tell, the Toyota 3-in-1 headunit in the ECHO seems OK as far as putting out sufficient power. (Some stock radios are really weak!!!) So I think a speaker upgrade to enhance sound quality may really make a significant difference. Happy hunting!
  • cmeijningcmeijning Member Posts: 16
    My Yaris Verso 1.3 just had its 75 K kilometre service. The dealer gave me a Yaris diesel as a loaner that day. The 1.4 diesel is an impressive engine. The diesel is quiet, strong and very fuel efficient. I drove 420 kilometre and used 19.6 litres diesel.
    Anyone know of changes planned for the 03 Echo?
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    If you want a cushier seat, eat more. ; )

I would hate to be the person who has 80k miles on their Echo. They would have to have one heck of a long commute.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    The local newpaper evaluated a Honda Civic Hybrid recently and were very pleased that they got 40 mpg in local driving. This car had a sticker of almost $25K! Im thinking Toyota should be playing up the green angle here with the ECHO. I guess it would make the Prius look bad, though.
  • cbiecbie Member Posts: 5
    having had her for less than 4 months. Proud mom suffered separation anxiety all the time ECHO pokie was having her oil change and brakes cleaned. Around the same time I purchased a 35mm camera (no sense in buying a digital
    camera when I don't own a computer) and have been snapping away taking many priceless photos. I love my ECHO
    pokie. The only thing I would improve on is her turn signal volume which is rather quiet especially with the radio on. But that's a minor thing.

I think it's cute that ECHOs tend to appear in pairs or multiples and are often seen hanging around shopping centers. And them little ECHOs can really zip on the freeway! Now you see 'em, now you don't. 8)
  • dham2dham2 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Echo with 26k miles. In Phoenix it was 111 today and the a/c worked just fine. Turn the fan speed up to almost high and recirculate the air. Also, window tint helps a lot, and I wrapped the freon line in the engine compartment. BTW: I'm averaging 45mi/g with the a/c on, combined highway and city.
  • rkrig1rkrig1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Echo which I purchased in March this year. I am experiencing squeaky brakes. I took it to the dealer and he said it was due to dust in the brakes. I have never had a vehicle that the brakes made any noise due to dust. Has anyone else had this problem ?
    Also, has anyone installed a Front End Mask? Will it damage the paint, and will it keep off the bug and stone damage??
    I have experienced squeaky brakes from dust before (but not on an Echo). I simply wiped the rotors and drums clean with a rag with a little gasoline and the squeak went away.
    I'm curious about the Echo's resale value. They don't have too many Echo's in my area, so I rarely see a used Echo in the newspaper.

Perhaps someone from a bigger metropolis could give me some insight on the Echo's resale value.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Check out http://www.getauto.com. You can search all through the US on any car make and model. This should give you an idea. Also check on the TMV right here at Edmunds.com.
  • aeroterremeraeroterremer Member Posts: 79
    rkrig1: The dealer told us that as far as squeaky brakes (our car is 4 mos old) that he can't promise anything because it depends on the brake mfr. Dealer deglazed the brakes but there still is a squeak every now & then, especially when reversing. He assured us it was safe. I look at it as having a back-up warning system for free. :)

mralan: Here in Hawaii, island of Oahu, dealer (Servco Pacific) is selling a used 2001 auto, 4-dr for $9,995, 37K miles, finish with noticeable scratches (probably a former rental car). Here on Oahu the dealer buys back the Echos after one year from the rental car company and resells them. The car did have a 'Sold As Is' sign on the window, so I assume it is not a certified used car?
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I think I've finally figured out how to get my player back to normal. I tried using a lens cleaner but the results were very temporary. As the error message kept referring to a 'dirty disc' I figured there was something obscuring the lens. I used compressed air-the kind you use to clean computer keyboards with-and it seems to have done the trick!
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Member Posts: 112
    Kneisl, I certainly agree with your comment about Echo mileage as compared with the hybrids. For lots more money and lots more complexity one can purchase a hybrid that probably gives just a little more mileage. But I think the hybrid owners are largely trying to support the whole push towards conservation, which doesnt get a lot of support in most places. For instance, even here at Edmunds, looking at cars other than the Echo, you don't see the editors give weight to relative fuel efficiency, whereas they sure point out power and dwell on gadgetry and such. By the way, my sister had an 84 Civic that gave fuel efficiency every bit as good as my Echo. But it was a 1300cc with lots less power than I have with my 00 Echo.
    ....Also, I am curious about the 03 Corolla. It is a taller car than previous Corollas, and I wonder if it supplies back seat roominess as good or better than the Echo?? Our family chose not to buy a Corolla back in 2000 because of lack of rear seat legroom.
    Love that 84 Civic, unfortunately todays Civic has become a bloated underpowered boat. I wish we coiuld get an ECHO that weighs 1600 pounds and has the 1.3 liter engine. 1.3 liter diesel is even better. I sat in a Prius recently and really like the interior design and its use of space. It even looks a little better than ECHO. But I wouldnt recommend anyone pay $25k for it when they can get a $13k ECHO!
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    Hello all, I am looking at buying a echo in October. I want to know what to expect to pay out the door. I want a 4 door automatic with AC. That is all that I need. No extras. What should I pay out the door. I live in GA area if it helps. I'm thinking around 13,000 or 13,500 the most. Anyone?
    My 2001 2 door manual with ac and 3 in 1 stero was $13,100 out the door tax and all in November 2000, and they gave ne $200 0ff list. Id expect a four door with auto and air would be more, maybe $14,000. Also, it can be hard to find an ECHO without unwanted options. But look around and if youre willing to travel to purchase, youll probably get close to your figure, IMHO.
  • mdrewmdrew Member Posts: 32
    It's hard to compare "out-the-door" price from state to state since tax, license fees vary wildly, so you're better off comparing before tax if possible. Carsdirect.com used to be a good way to price the car with various options; they have a little calculator showing the MSRP and their price, but I haven't been on there in awhile; and their price may not be the best at this point. (I have no idea about current prices, but from what I recall kneisl is right about the difficulty of getting only this or that option; it seems heavily packaged. This worked out for me since I now like some of the things I thought I didn't want).
    I heard the 03 ECHO will only have minor cosmetic changes. A couple new colors, different grill, headlight, etc ...

No hatchback offering yet.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Do we know when the refreshened ECHO will appear on dealer lots? This month...August? September? I bet Toyota either did a little to refreshen it (since its sales aren't too hot) or Toyota did a lot to refreshen it (so that it could sell more). Any pictures yet?
    I got my info on the 03 from another forum (club) from someone has an ordering form for the 03 in Canada.

I'm waiting patiently. I can't wait to see a 2 dr in Impluse Red.
    Today at the gas station I was talking to the owner of a red four door ECHO. (this is the first other ECHO owner I have conversed with) His car is two years old and has 23k miles on it. Like most ECHO owners he loves the car ("I cant understand why you dont see more of them.") and mentioned that he gets 26-27 mpg around town (with automatic) I was thinking "Hmmm that sounds a little low...my five speed gets 41 driving to work 6 miles away." but I didnt want to say anything not having an answer as to why his mileage seemed low to me. Dont autos get like 35 mpg in town? Or not? I just wonder if there is an answer for him the next time we run into each other.
    I was reading Consumers Reports cars buyers guide and noticed the ECHO got the highest marks possible for reliability in all catagories except two where it got the next best mark. Its no secret CU likes the ECHO. Strangely, the Ford Focus was not check rated by CU because of reliability issues, yet it too did well, getting the highest score in about half of the catagories, second highest in the rest with the exception of an average in one of them. CU said the car performed better than all the other cars in its catagory (Corolla, Civic, SL1) in its performance tests.
  • mdrewmdrew Member Posts: 32
    The red Echo guy has a problem; I've never heard of mileage that low. My 4dr auto gets about 35 around town and 40 highway (averaged exactly 40 over a 1,700 mile trip last year); others report higher.
    I rented an Echo for one day, drove it about 100 miles, used the AC all of the time, and drove it pretty hard. I got 27mpg out of it. So he is probably either driving the car hard, or else he is in alot of traffic all the time.
    Edmunds review of the 01 ECHO sure is disappointing.

It sure "muddies the water" when trying to make a decision on to purchase an Echo or not.

The great majority of ECHO owners on this forum absolutely love their car, but I hold Edmunds' opinion in high regard also.
    I thought automatic ECHOs were rated 31/38 by the EPA. Anyway, you never know, maybe the owner of the red four-door has a dirty air filter or has a dozen forgotten bags of concrete mix in the trunk?
    I have a 5spd 4-door and have gotten as low as 27mpg in very heavy city traffic with the a/c on. The highest I've gotten so far is 38mpg on the hwy. Then again, I can never keep the speed below 80mph in the desert passes!
    If you read the Edmunds review of the ECHO their main problem with it is that the ECHO is just not hip enough to be your car. It doesnt make the kind of "statement" about YOU that others should get from the car you drive. Which is a pretty shallow reason to buy a car, but maybe they have something there. Also, they didnt like the price of the car when you add things like power mirrors and power windows, which I agree jacks the price up a lot. And they mention the fact that a Honda Civic probably has a better resale value than the ECHO which could be true. So when you make your mind up remember: the ECHO is a reliable, confortable, peppy little car that few people who own them have anything bad to say about. Personally, I feel good about my choice of the ECHO on several levels. I like the way the car drives. I like the fact thats its likely to be one of the most reliable cars on the road. I like it because its economical to own. Because it burns so little gas I feel like Im doing something to help the planet, as well as keeping OPEC in line. But I might be losing out on not impressing people enough.
    Well, I'm probably not going to purchase a new car into about Mar 03. The "looks" of a car is very low in my priorities (although I like the looks of the ECHO). If the ECHO gets too pricey when I get my desired options, I'll switch to a new Corolla. I owned a Corolla until recently for 15 years. I don't care what the consensus is, no way am I'm going to buy a Hyundai or a Focus.
  • deluxcardeluxcar Member Posts: 47
    In post #3173, we were considering an ECHO. But after shopping around we finally purchased a Honda Civic LX for $14,200.
    In my opinion the Civic LX is about two to three grade levels above the Echo. We were looking for a 4-door sedan with automatic transmission and air conditioning and a good sound system.

The MSRP on the Echo was $14,711, Invoice $13,664 and the dealer offered $13,444 including a $400 college graduate rebate (In effect $13,844).

The Civic's MRSP was $16,700, Invoice $15,003 and the dealer offered $14,200. The Civic however, has power doors and windows, power mirrors, steering, and power brakes, etc. and the trim level is closer to a Camry or Accord.

In terms of handling, road noise and seating comfort the Civic was superior. Also, the AC in the Civic was much more powerful than ECHO and thus would make a big difference on the hot Atlanta roads.

In the end we thought the ECHO was an overpriced lightweight. No hard feelings guys but the ECHO is not in the same league as the Civic.
    Funny that you say about the Echo's AC system, I rented one for a hot day, and it was pretty cool inside. And I am always hot!

On the other hand, I test drove a Civic before I got my last car (a 2001 Protege). It was about 100 that day, and this car was a black 2-door. After driving the car for about 10 mins., I was literally sick to my stomach. So the Civic's AC pretty much sucked.

Also, I would probably go with the Civic for $14,200 vs. an Echo for $13,500 as well. Both are pretty nice cars, and should be reliable though.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    During the break in period I got 36.5 mpg on a 400 mile, 80 mph drive. Since then I have gotten 34.5 in mixed highway/stop and go/city driving. I have an auto. I drive moderately - I get much better than rated mileage in my Golf and slightly better than rated in the Mustang. I am very pleased with the highway mileage because the Golf drops from 30 to 26 if you drive over 80 mph, whereas the Echo gets 36.5 (and is an automatic, to boot). Based on the posts, I had expected better "city" mileage, but am happy with what I am getting - especially since a former ZX3 auto got only 25 mpg.

BTW, you can't rely on "one tank" mileage - I refill at the same pump each time, same gas station, same slope, same rate of fill and nozzle insertion- then average over several tanks. It's the only way to get around fill variations.
  • thooverthoover Member Posts: 49
    It is possible to get *real* 45MPG averages on an ECHO. We have just under 44K on our 2000 automatic (NW PA). This summer is the best yet, with my 5 tank average hitting 45.3 MPG. The average over the last 60 tanks (about 1 year) is standing at 41.5 MPG. Our driving is mixed, a lot of 2 lane rural highway, but this car is used for everything.

I admit that I have an obsession about driving for maximum MPG. I go out of my way to avoid hills, quick stops, etc. The ECHO is fun...
  • petrnycpetrnyc Member Posts: 47
    Before you buy, do your research and see how many recalls Focus had already gone through. In fact I heard the government was demanding of Ford to completely re engineer the car or scrap it all together.

Pay a little more and get quality in a Civic LX/EX, Honda LX/SE ( pretty cheap right now) or Corolla. Either is generation ahead of any of the boxes you mentioned.
  • petrnycpetrnyc Member Posts: 47
    For what its worth, my 1.6L Corolla has 81K miles 95% of which were driven 75-85 mph. I checked my mileage driving at 65 vs. 85 with A/C on and off. I saw no difference in fuel consumption. I would think with 4speed auto tranny I could have gotten even better gas mileage.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I know this is about the Echo but may I chime in hear regarding gas mileage - my '01 Corolla (4 speed auto) has gotten as good as 34 MPG and as low as 28.5 MPG (city driving) - I have seen quite a few Echos where I live and I must admit at first I thought they looked a little strange - but now I guess the Echo has grown on me because I think they look very cute! Only regret is that I did not test drive one while car shopping last year - one Toyota salesman did tell me that Toyota will stop making the Echo after 2003 model.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The stock tires on the Echo seem better than average in terms of grip and handling - or maybe the suspension on the Echo is better than we think (given that the car seems to be designed as a Japanese urban commuter). I upgraded them, however, to 195x60/14 about 2000 miles ago to get better cross wind performance. (Bridgestone 950's, excellent, easier to balance than Dunlop Sport A2's.)

The new tires stick like glue and greatly improve crosswind handling, but it remains susceptible in the windstorms we were having for a while out here. The car still isn't as stable as my Golf when cruising over a tall bridge over the bay, but it's pretty darn good, certainly good enough, and setting aside crosswind stability, in some ways handles better - certainly the ride is better.

I think the main limitations on handling in the Echo are the narrow track, short wheelbase, and high center of gravity. I believe Toyota compensates for this by essentially upgrading the suspension to "sports" level - it is firm, compliant and quite well dialed in. So the car has a peculiar personality - it takes corners and curves well, but due to its short wheel base bobbles a little on uneven surfaces, due to its narrow wheel base and height it feels a little tippy, and due to its light weight is a little susceptible to crosswinds. If I were a real street racer, urban rallye-ist, I would worry more about tipping the car in a hard curve than sliding out.

That being said, 80 mph cruising is a piece of cake (and surprises the heck out of other drivers in more expensive cars when you pass them), though you'll want both hands on the wheel if there are winds or when you pass semis (the car tracks true, but it just feels more secure when you get wind inputs to the steering). The car takes corners so fast you have to keep in mind this is the SUV of small cars and may feel tippy - it ain't a two foot high Mini. It feels more likely to tip, than slide, is what I am saying.

Braking is excellent, more so with the grippy tires. I feel the braking and tires make up for the lack of ABS. I would rather have predictable, progressive braking with good tires that can make short stops, than a long-stopping car that can't skid (ABS).

If I had anything to do over again, I would have gotten the 5 speed (forget the non-stick shifting girl friend and lack of resale value), put a Magnaflow exhaust on it and K&N air filter, slightly lower it with the Toyota Motor Sports shock/spring kit (a grand!), and have the cheapest fun with a canyon carving sleeper.

As a humdrum commuter, I am very happy with the incredibly spacious feel of the cabin, far superior to the Golf/Neon/Cavalier type of car, and I like the good visibility. It is a very comfortable car to drive, very quiet on the freeway, only noisy on hard acceleration.

The mileage is awesome - my gas bill has dropped from $200 per month to $150, and I was driving mostly a Golf stickshift before. I am not afraid to take long trips because of the gas bill! And the trunk is plenty large to hold junk.

I agree that the 4 door is more convenient - alas, I have a 2 door, and have to deal with the constricted access to the back seat to store stuff when I have a passenger and don't want to use the trunk. I think the lines on the 4 door (style) are excellent, too, as good as the 2 door if not better.

I would buy another. I am not sure I would buy a Corolla next time around - it seems so humdrum, even though it and the Camry have adopted the Echo's "high" look.

Maybe if I am crazy I will pick up a late 2003 4 speed, one of the $8,995" specials without aircon, and play with it - I would love to break 40 mpg, although I would be a little smog.

So far - two Ford Focus ZX3's with much problems, one Golf with 34,000 miles and no problems, and one Echo with ultra tight quality control - yeah Japan, Inc.!

BTW, the air conditioner freezes my butt off. It is much stronger than the Golf's or than either of my ZX3's - and they were all ok.

I wish the car had auto off on the rear window defroster, and non-collapsing outside rear view mirrors so I don't have to readjust them when I go through a carwash. A black (non-staining) interior would be nice, although some grime from an oil change person came off easily with fabric cleaner.

Here's to more Echo fun!
    I agree. That's what I said. No way am I going to purchase a Focus or Hyundai. They are both junk!

It's either an 03 ECHO or a Corolla.
    I brought my ECHO in for its 30k service today. It was $190 (w/coupon). I had them look at the a/c and the tech said that it wasn't cooling properly due to a damper with a loose cable. It was allowing hot air in. I also had them check for the whistling noise from the engine but they couldn't find anything wrong. When I mentioned how the c/d player was starting to act up, the service rep just said he'd give me a new one under warranty. I guess it's not an unusual complaint.
    The a/c now works very well! It gets ice cold in recirculate mode-more so than before. My brakes, btw, are at 70%. Pretty good for 30k!
    I am also very happy with my tires and they have proved to be very compliant for low profile tires(Yokohama YK420's).
    Love my ECHO!
  • sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
    micweb: My rear defroster does auto shut-off after about 15 minutes.

kaz6: My A/C had the same problem with the damper...I adjusted it myself though and I actually considered posting it here last week during the discussion.

I like to lurk more than post anymore so have fun!
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    "In fact I heard the government was demanding of Ford to completely re engineer the car or scrap it all together."

All right petrnyc, keep it up. Very entertaining, I must admit.
    BTW, you mentioned 1977 Lada in your signature.
    May I ask which model? image
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Hi everyone! I'm back from my vacation in Aruba...and I bring back some wonderful news. Aruba is a heaven to ECHO lovers. Not only is the 4 door ECHO sold in Aruba but it is also sold with the European versions, all under the name Yaris. The Yaris in Aruba outsells the Ford Focus 20 to 1 easily. Most are probably just rental cars, but nonetheless a wonderful thing. I managed to get a shot of a small parking area with 4 Yariseseseses in it. I hope to make a link to it sometime. We rented a white 4 door ECHO version and it did great out on the dirt and rock roads of the Aruban desert. Although, I must say I'm a bit diappointed in the interior quality. The hard plastic of the doors was probably worst of all. However, there was MUCH room...much more legroom in the backseat than my 1996 Corolla.
  • echorickechorick Member Posts: 27
    Maybe I made a mistake, but I took my 2000 ECHO 5 sp 2 door to Firestone Service and had the 30,000 service for $77.00. As long as I have receipts and regular service the warranty is good. My local Toyota dealer wanted to service my car under severe service conditions. Hah, I drive freeways at 50-70 mph 60 miles a day.