Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    I do doubt we will get it in the US, by the way the pic with a manual is an E220, a model we wont even get here, usually by the time you reach the benz 320 level, its autos only, bar the occasional exception
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    You can get more info also at:

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

Just scroll down to Vince's car page, then go to the Mercedes link
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Nabzy, I'm sorry, but I had to remove all four of those pictures. There were several problems with them, so please bear with me while I explain.

First, because of copyright issues, you cannot use the "img src" tags to display any pictures here that you do not own personally. It seems unlikely that you own these pictures based on your commentary, but even if you do own them, there were two other problems.

Most of our membership still use dial up connections and many are not able to use very high resolution displays. On a 56k dial-up this page was taking greater than 10 minutes to load. That's just too many pictures in a row. One picture might have been workable, but...

Except, that in this case, the width of all four pictures badly skewed the screen at 1024x768 and made the screen totally unreadable at 800x600 (which is a far more common setting for our members).

Please understand that I am not "yelling" at you, I'm just trying to explain that much of our community is not on the leading edge of technology and these sorts of posts make their participation very difficult.

So please, instead of using the img src tags for pictures of that size (or pictures that you do not own), just give us links to pictures you find interesting. That way anyone who is interested can follow the links and those who are just skimming through, don't care, and don't have leading edge advantages don't have to deal with all the issues.

I need to come back to the copyright issues one more time. Besides our not being able to support the display of pictures our members do not own, we also cannot allow in our messages copyrighted text. I am concerned about the text that you copied from somewhere in your message above - could you just provide a link to those descriptions as well? If the link in that message contains all of that information, please delete your message and just repost the link.

Drop me an email if you have any questions; I don't want to go so far off-topic here.

And please give us links to those pictures.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • e320be320b Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a CD Changer for my 2000 E320.
    My radio code starts with AL...

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    RC
  • bud24bud24 Member Posts: 8
    Freezing in Wisconsin

I have a 2001 E430 AWD, E1, E2, K2A which is the best car I ever owned. There is a new problem. The fan in the A/C or heater seems to be malfunctioning. It comes on intermittently. Sometimes, it does not come on at all, even after the engine has been running for some time. The heated seats keep an important part of me a warm but but the other parts get pretty cold. The windshield defogger doesn't work. I checked the fuses for the temp control system but they look o.k.. Don't have time to go to the dealer till next week and its cold! Any bright ideas?
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    For sharing all the above updates with us. Keep them coming.
    Jean
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    I will just be posting links as not to infringe any copywright laws :)

http://www.germancarfans.com/News.cfm?NewsID=2020115.001

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/ index_e.htm?/specials/e_klasse_w211/eklasse_1_e.htm

http://www.jes-mercedes.de/indexie.htm

(click on 15.01.2002 Zur E-Klasse (W211) Photogalerie)

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    Can anyone comment on the merits of a '98 e430 sport, as opposed to a later model (more expensive, of course)?
    What to watch out for, what options are most useful, or any comments in general?
    I appreciate any input.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Hello All! I was wondering if you all could tell me what the best MB Dealer in the NY Metro Area. If this has been posted before, please forgive me & just email me your answers. I'm fed up with Benzel Busch & Mercedes-Benz of Nanuet. Thanks for your help!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Here is a link to some official E-class photos. What do you guys think of the car? I think it looks a bit like the C-class. May be very hard to tell on the road.

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w211fipho.htm

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'm a little dissapointed by the styling. The rear end looks nothing like a Mercedes should. The interior looks good, but the styling a step back from the current E-Class I think.

M
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    the host was just talking about nazby's large pictures and long loading times for people with slow modems.

It was taking me a long time to load this page and then I saw that they had inserted an inch and a half banner on the top and this was causing the long loading time.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I love the huge sunroof, it is incredible. But what's up with that enormous clock in the gauge cluster? A clock should be centrally located for all passengers to see.

I'm sure it will be a huge success.
    I just can't stand that rear end, at least not right now. Mercedes always [did] the rear of a car just right. Clearly by this new E you can tell Brunno Sacco has left the building.

M
  • pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    Try Prestige MB in Paramus. Although I live 2 miles from Benzel Busch, I purchased my MB at Prestige. Their price and service has been very good for me.
    I was reading the official word on the new car and it stated that the styling makes the car look coupe-like and smaller than it really is. Kind of like the S-Class. I too agree about the rear end. German cars are moving in a much more radical less conservative stylized direction. I think the rear of the new CLK will be even more dramatic and like nothing MB has ever done. How many of you like the idea of looking smaller? Anyone know what the updated S-class will look like this fall?
  • ygubbiygubbi Member Posts: 3
    The E320s come in three Silver colors
    - Quartz Silver
    - Desert Silver
    - Brillant Silver

Can someone tell me the difference between the
    three?
    Is there a Website I can go to and get an idea?

Thanks

-yogi
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    The Desert silver is more of a "champaigne" than a silver, I guess metallic sand is what they had in mind. This is the color of my E and it is VERY different from the other "silvers".

If anyone is looking for a NY dealer Friendly Motorcars (Mike Caifa is the salesperson) is a good recommendation if they are within a good distance for you. Number is 845-298-0600.

Regards to all,

John R.
  • EdsotoEdsoto Member Posts: 42
    It will take a while to get used to the new design...

Some people will like it, others will not - But generally we have it for a few years...
    Is it really this fall that the S gets it's facelift? Thats kinda soon isn't it? Time really flies with these cars. The S is still "new" to me.

M
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    The new S-class looks too small. It looks too much like the new C-class. When one's coming towards me I can't tell them apart.
    Well I see I get a new "E500" this time around. Not in the same veign as the previous "E500" but close. At http://mbspy.bacosys.be/index2.html, they have a good write up on the new chassis. Seems like Airmatic with "DC" will be an improvement from the Airmatic setup on the current S-Class. Now I await the new E55 Kompressor with 469hp and I guess there's a new wagon ahead too. I still miss the W124 "E" though.

M

• vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    In my opinion I like the interior of the E-Class except the big clock in the dash area. I also like all the features it has but I hate the exterior design of the new E-class especially the rear and side(looks like Ford Taurus) look.
    Yes the S-Class and CL-class are getting face lifts (new front and tail designs, probably lights and bumpers as well as wheel designs) this fall as 2003 models. They are mid way between total redesigns in 2005-6. I am mostly interested in the rumors of supercharged engines in the CL500 and S500 (a 5.5L w/400+hp). German dealers say this is the case, although I don't know whether they are in the AMG models given the S63 and CL63...Also interior electronic changes are a new much larger command display and design and trim changes, perhaps new center console and more wood trim. The electronic brakes on the SL and E will arrive as well as an updated Airmatic and ABC...Anyways I just was looking for photos or spy shots.
  • laithy_74laithy_74 Member Posts: 35
    Yes what you heard about AMG's 5.5 being supercharged is true. I heard 430hp for the S55 and CL55 AMG. The rumor that rather buzzles me is that this might put an end to Mercedes' V-12 engine. If you follow Mercedes showcases, you will see that all high-performance concepts have V8's, even the 500hp+ SLR.
    Thanks. Should be interesting if the "55" models get the same 469hp 5.5L sc motor from the SL55. Well I'll now state the obvious. Mercedes' latest V12 is just plain not up to snuff with only 362hp. A 5.8L V12 should at least have 400hp. The fact there is no SL600 yet tells me Mercedes either recognizes this and is working on getting more power out of this engine or they're dropping it. I can't see them just dropping it seeing that it's a brand new engine. The "63" models have the power the regular "600" models should already have. The S-Class really doesn't need any cosmetic changed, but the interior, comand system and a better standard wheel/tire combo (i.e. 17inchers) are welcome changes.

M
    I agree that the S-class doesn't need any cosmetic changes although I hope they don't redesign the tail to look like the new E-class Ford taurus like back end. I expect projector lenses in the headlamps though.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    I for one am very skeptical of the reliability of all these new electronic M-B gadgets. The Achilles' heel of my '00E430 are the gadgets.
    The voice activated cell phone was replaced twice and the CD changer still malfunctions ocassionally.

The dash "clock" loses time and needs to be replaced. I am going to do this in the next few months. But, because the clock is integrated into the car's display panel I will need an entire new panel.

The bottom line is M-B lags significantly behind Lexus in the area of electronics. Since the new "E" is loaded with them I recommend avoiding this brand new design for at least 1 year maybe even two.
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Well said on the 2003.

I will wait at least a year.

My dash clock loses about 3 minutes a month.
    Is it worth having it changed?

I know it is covered but will a problem such as a noise in the dash result when one puts in a new display panel?

Do you have to push them for this repair?

Thanks

Joe
    Check previous posts for the actual repair description and pictures. The dash is not removed as the panel comes out from below the steering column. There is a felt panel underneath the instrument cluster that is removed.
    Then, the cluster itself is removed and a new one is inserted. This should take less than 1 hour at the dealer.

My clock also loses three minutes a month. As for getting them to do the repair I would not take "no" for an answer. M-B should be aware of this problem on the E-Class. After all, we only want a clock that keeps correct time. How hard is that in the year 2002? It is not the owner's problem that a faulty clock requires an entire instrument cluster replacement.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I, too, had the slow clock in my 2000 E430 sport. There was no hesitation from the dealer to replace it. Now, my clock keeps perfect time.

I have had my E for about 2.5 yrs and 13,000 miles. I'm extremely happy with this car and will not replace it until about 50,000 miles or so.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • rezo00rezo00 Member Posts: 103
  • mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    Too bad the E-Class owners experiencing slow clock problems don't have COMAND -- the clock is automatically kept accurate to the second by the COMAND GPS.

Regarding COMAND, I agree with the post earlier this month about the system's shortcomings. But it is a great convenience, and I can honestly say that I haven't even been "momentarily disoriented" since I've had my 2000 E-320. BTW, year-old disks covering other areas are often available on eBay for $10 or so. I actually traded my old one for one covering another area.

I'm going in next Wednesday for my A service (the first warranty service). My car will be two years old in April, and I have only 9700 miles on it. The computer message changed from "next service at xx,000 miles" to "next service in 25 days." I changed the oil (to Mobile 1) at 5000 miles. I'm also going to have the steering wheel "groan" checked.

I've had 17" wheels and Yokohama AVS dB tires on the car for almost 4000 mile -- great handling improvement and slightly firmer ride -- and tires are VERY quiet. I also added OEM mud flaps last year -- really keeps the lower panels cleaner, and they're almost unnoticeable on the car..

Hope the above helps. I love the car and have had few problems. Dealer service is superb.
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    I, too, have recently tried the Bosch Micro Edge blades, in my case, the slightly more expensive Micro Edge Excel model. It is a big improvement over the MB-supplied Trico blades, with a very clean wipe and no chatter, even on clean and dry glass. Incidentally, I used the 24 inch blade, though the original blade was 25 inches. The top of the 24 inch is at the same position as the 25, but the lower edge is a bit higher. The lower unwiped edge is almost invisible, except in the center where the eccentric-arm "M" is a little higher than with the 25 inch blade. I got my blades at Kragen Auto Parts. It's a worthwhile swap.

In response to mbdriver's post just above, my car is about the same age and mileage. I, too, haven't really had any problems with the car. I did object to some of the functioning of the Comand system naviagation, and the dealer has replaced my unit with a "third generation DX" one (mine was a first generation in a my 2000). The head unit is swapped out for a current one, and then the unit is programmed with a CD (the original unit does not allow this programming). This changed a lot of the software and makes the system much more refined and useful. The menus make more sense and there are a lot of improved details, like telephone numbers for restaurants, the ability to search for "points of interest" with different criteria, and letter selection that is limited to possible combinations only, etc. The system still isn't perfect, but this is a lot better.
    I have a few questions about the dealer swap out of your COMAND head unit. Were you having problems, or did the dealer just decide to provide the new head unit (under warranty, I would guess)? Also, if not under warranty, how much was the cost? Any specifics you can provide about the new menus an functionality would be helpful. I have an appointment Wednesday morning for my A service and would be interested in the swap, even at additional cost -- I plan on keeping my E320 forever!

Thanks in advance.
  • noonrrrnoonrrr Member Posts: 1
    While not perfect as mentioned by many others, I must say that the German way of doing things seems to win out in the end. I also own an Acura MDX with Navigation...this one has the state of the art DVD nav system with touch screen...a very fast elegant solution to entering and retrieving information. However after all is said and done..my little German Command system finds locations and gets me there with less hassle more easily than its Japanese counterpart..
    amazing isn't it.
    Regards to all:
  • waltowalto Member Posts: 34
    I was not having hardware malfunctions, but complained about software glitches: the inability to find known menus from certain locations, and inconsistencies of operation (which I can't quite remember). The new system is basically the same, but there are numerous little changes. The entry is much faster (no impossible letters) and the menus offer more versatility (for example, you can do things like search for a restaurant by type, distance from car, or in a certain city). Mostly, the system is more consistent and the menu structure is more logical. There is also more information on the screen (though no street names other than the one you're on and the one for the upcoming turn). All in all, I felt the change turned the navigation from a marginal system to a quite good one. I'm sorry not to remember more of the details, but when I use it, they are obvious and welcome.

My dealer did it under warranty. The CD update once the system arrives is critical and you have to make sure the shop knows how to do this. The CD is a "bug fix" according to the dealer. The older units cannot be updated this way, and when the dealer orders a unit, it is still possible to get a non-updatable one. They just have to return it and try again.
  • popkwizzpopkwizz Member Posts: 17
    I just bought an older 300E. I've been driving 3 series BMWs with Yokohama tires on them and I find them to be quiet and good road grabbers on wet and dry surfaces here in northern Calif, very safe feeling. The E has Michelins and the car seems to 'float' a bit on them. What's your take on putting the Yokos on the 300E ('86)? Thanks for any and all opinions on this. I am not a 4-wheel-drift type driver.
    (Cute handle -- do you teach?) Regarding the Yokos, I'd definitely make the switch from your Michelins, but only when tread wear dictates it. I'd also go for the Yoko AVS dB tires. They are about as quiet and smooth as anything I've experienced.

walto -- thanks for all the good info about COMAND. I'll check into it at tomorrows visit for my A service. Meanwhile, I've developed a groan in my steering wheel and will have that checked out too. The posts on this board have really been helpful -- thanks all.
    I went to my dealer today and inquired about the repair of my '00E430. The dealer was more than willing to order the instrument panel but I have to leave my car at the service department for 3 days. The service manager stated that a new clock was not a necessity item and that M-B needed to send him an instrument panel with my current mileage on it. As such, my car had to be left at the dealer before he would order the part.
    He states it takes 2-3 days for the part to come in and about 1.5 hours to install.

Because my dealer is not providing a loaner for this service I will wait until March when my new '02 330 Convertible arrives. Then, I will have transportation while my E430 is at the dealer.

I wish those of you waiting for the '03 E Class the best of luck. In my opinion, the electronics on the new E will be full of bugs. I hope you enjoy your service department as you will be spending a lot of time there. Why not wait a year and let the less informed buyer deal with early production glitches?
  • paulclanceypaulclancey Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2001 e320 4matic. It has all options except Nav. Best car we have ever owned. Now a question someone may be able to help me with. A friend of mine has a C43 and is putting aftermarket rims on his car - so he will sell me the stock rims at a very good price. Will these work on our 4matic. The front rims are 17 x 7.5 and the rear are 17 x 8.5. ( The stock e430 4matic comes with 17 x 7.5 front and rear. ) Will I cause a problem with the wider rims on the rear with the 4 wheel drive system. If they would work what size tires would I use. Thank you.
  • mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    I am very surprised that your dealer does not offer a loaner for the service. I had mine replaced and the service advisor told me the instrument cluster was close to $2000 parts and labor. Enough profit to be made by the dealer for the loaner easily. I was told the same thing when I had mine done. However when I brought my car in, they took the odometer reading and then sent me home since they were out of loaners. They ordered and the new instrument arrived 2 days later. I then brought my car back and the new instrument had the same reading as the day I took it in. Hence I got 3 days worth of driving for free since the odometer started back. The clock is perfect now.

paulclancey, I don't think you will have any issue with the wheels. A friend of mine had a C Class with aftermarket Borbet 17" wheels on them. I bought them off him and put them on my '00 e320. They fit perfectly. I had to get the shorter lugs though since the ones mounted with the factory 16" wheels were too long. I believe the 17x7.5 you can put 235-45-ZR17 on them. The 17x8.5 maybe 245 or 255?
  • pcasinopcasino Member Posts: 14
    MB driver,

You mentioned you put in OEM mud flaps on your e320. I went to my dealer last week to ask about them and they said there was no such thing!!! The parts person said that it must be aftermarket and recommended me against using it. Can you confirm this OEM mudflaps for me please (parts number) I could also just buy it from your source dealer and avoid the hassle of having to explain it to my parts guy in my dealer. Frankly, I don't mind aftermarkets also -- whatever keeps mud away is fine with me.

thanks for your quick response.

Paul
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I installed my OEM mud guards three years ago on my 99 E320 4matic. Not only they are MB OEM's but are also regularly maintained by the dealer (during tire rotation) who replaces the clamps when missing. These mud guards are designed to be attached to the plastic panels to avoid any corrosion to the body through metallic screws. They are sold at the dealership in pairs hence if you loose one you will buy a new pair for replacement.
    Jean
  • ppattersonppatterson Member Posts: 22
    I am considering the purchase of a pre-driven Starmark Mercedes E320 (1993 - 1995). However, friends have mentioned the excessive oil consumption related to worn valve stem seals. I spoke to a service writer at the local Mercedes dealer. He indicated that this problem was specific to those cars with the single-cam engine and has since been corrected in later model vehicles. Can anyone confirm this claim and has anyone had similar experiences. What other issues does this car have.

Also interested in peoples' overall ownership experiences of this car and realistic cost of maintenance at the MB dealers. Thanks......
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    I can confirm that our 1991 190E and our 1992 300E both consumed about 1 quart of oil for every 3,000 miles, almost from the day we bought them. I believe they were single cam engines, but cannot swear to it. Oil consumption really didn't seem to vary over the time we had the cars. Our mechanic reported that this was normal for these cars. However, they did have different engines than the 3.2L introduced in the 1993 300E whcih then became the 320E in 1994 and finally the E320 before the make-over in 1996.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The thing you have to watch for on the '93 and newer e320 is the head gasket leaking oil. The single overhead cam '92 and older engines did tend to use oil due to valve stem seal wear but it was cheap to fix, about $200.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I had a 1993 300E that I had bought new and drove for 90,000 miles before buying a new E430 a year and half ago. I then sold it to my son-in-law who has driven it every day since and currently has over 115,000 miles on it. To this day it doesn't burn any oil, however, I always changed the oil every 3,000 miles and is currently being maintained in that fashion.
    Wally
    I'd be wary of your dealer's parts department if they told you there's no such thing as Mercedes OEM mudguards or mudflaps. jean7of9 is absolutely correct in everything he said in his post. When I first ordered mine, the dealer spent about 1 1/2 hours trying unsuccessfully to install them on my 2000 E320. They finally called MBUSA in frustration, and when they read the part number from the flaps to the HQ parts technician, it turned out the mudguards were actually for a C-Class and had been mispackaged.

Within a day or two, the dealer received the REAL E-Class mudguards. They were installed less than an hour after I arrived at the dealership. I just went out and examined the mudguards closely. They're black and molded to follow the contour lines of the fender, much like the guards found on Camrys and Hondas (they don't just "hang straight down"). Also, molded into each mudguard across the bottom is "MERCEDES-BENZ".

Hope this helps. Let us know what you do. If you want to order them from my dealer, it's Euro Motor Cars in Bethesda, MD. You can find them on the internet (www.mbusa.com).
This discussion has been closed.