Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Unfortunately, Renault is exercising similar influence over Nissan. Have you ever owned a Renault? I did. A 1982 Renault LeCar.

-three wheel lug nuts on each wheel
    -glued on wallpaper for headliner
    -single button instead of a door handle
    -cloth seat cloth so cheap that it fell appart on the rear seats just from rubbing against the front seat backs when the rear seat was folded
    -spare tire located in the engine compartment on top of the engine (my brand new spare fell apart as soon as I used it becuase the engine heat completely drytotted the rubber)
    -large rubberized canvass sunroof that folded up like a harmonica in the back of the roof
    -radio mounted vertically in the console
    -transaxle with an oil drain plug located in front of the engine.(I mistakenly drained the transaxle instead of engine crankcase first time. Fortunately I caught it before I drove the car because I added additional four quarts of oil into the engine)
    -longitudinal torsion bar front suspension and transverse torsion bar rear suspension
    -hood hinged in the front for lousy access to the engine
    -radiator cap required a wrench to open

Wouln't you like to see some of these innovations find their way into a new Maxima? Especially three lug wheel hubs.
  • Options
    vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    HELLO ALL.
    THE BRAKE CALIPERS ON ALL 4 CORNERS OF MY 26,500 MILE SE HAVE SURFACE RUST. I HAVE CHECKED EVERY MAX I SEE INCLUDING DEALER LOTS AND HAVE NOT SEEN ONE WITH RUSTED BRAKE CALIPERS. I WILL TALK TO THE SERVICE MGR. BY PHONE, CHECK TO SEE THAT HE WILL IN FACT, BE THERE WHEN I COME OVER THERE TO SHOW HIM AND SET UP APPOINTMENT FOR REPLACEMENTS. I WILL GET REPLACEMENTS, RIGHT? THE RUST WARRANTY SHOULD APPLY HERE, I WOULD THINK. BY THE WAY, BRAKES ARE FINE BUT THE CALIPERS LOOK LIKE CRAP. DO YOU THINK I'VE GOT A CASE HERE?
    OH AND, I WASN'T YELLING - HAD THE CAPS LOCK ON. SORRY.
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    instead of having rust on my calipers..i have them on my rotors.... it's real ugly! on a 3 yr old car, i dont think it's acceptable... but i think i'll just replace them with brembo or like rotors when they warp again...

anyone have aftermarket rotors on their maxima's? any recommendations?
  • Options
    sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    p100 said: Wouln't you like to see some of these innovations find their way into a new Maxima? Especially three lug wheel hubs.

Yes! No more trying to figure out the cross pattern to use when tightening the lug nuts! Just do them sequentially!!

Seriously, though, the new Renaults are pretty decent. And quite popular in Europe which is a very competitive market.
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    My dad had a LeCar. To add to the charm of the vehicle, I vomited banana all over the interior about a month after he bought the car. Every time the interior of the car warmed up, yeeeeaa..
    I think he sold that one in record time. When I talk cars with him today, the LeCar always comes up. He always is nostalgic about every single car he's ever owned.. with one exception. "If we hadn't been so poor at the time, I would have driven it into the middle of the cornfield, doused it in accelerant, and watched it burn" I think he said once.

My Maxima's rotors do get some surface rust after it's been raining. It disappears pretty quickly, though. Didn't notice any on the calipers.

Well, I've had my 03 since early March, and this car is definately a long-term keeper. While it is nice ride, I can tell already it is going to give me fits in the winter. Those Bridgestones just pray for death. A neighbor has an old Honda Accord he uses pretty much exclusively for toting his kayaks around in the summer, and he offered to let me drive it in the winter for a beater. Has anyone ever done this before? I assume I would insure it during the winter, and he in the summer.. but would the ins co give me trouble because the title isn't in my name? Maybe I should give 'em a ring...
  • Options
    if you guys are looking for a fstb.. go to www.speedpeople.com

they're selling it for 29 and free shipping.. im ordering mine this week....
  • Options
    srosborsrosbor Member Posts: 1
    I have read many recent complaints about Nissan/Infinity paint quality (excessive chipping, poor durability) especially on the 350Z and G35. What's the verdict on the 2004 Maxima’s paint quality?
  • Options
    I read one complaint about orange peel paint appearance on the new Maxima. If there are complaints about Z 350 and G 35 paint quality, I would assume that Maxima paint quality will not be any better, as the car is in the same price bracket as the other two vehicles.
  • Options
    darkguydarkguy Member Posts: 8
    Paint quality has never been Nissan's strong suit!
  • Options
    Speaking of Nissan paint quality, today I stopped at the local Nissan dealer to look at the shipment of hail damaged cars they just got from Tenessee. A salesman tried to sell me one that was already repaired by the dealership's body shop. To make me feel better, the salesman said that their body shop is using Dupont paint, which is much better that the original Nissan paint. Interesting....
  • Options
    eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    Well,
    Hit 90K miles in my 2000 SE. Man, this car is great. I have had only small issues that have pretty much been resolved, but I do have to say that this car will last me a long time.

The engine (although it knocks sometimes when I use less than premium, don't knock me!) still pulls like day one. I never owned a car that could fly like this one (and it is only 222hp). The VQ is the best V6 out there.

Last month was the first time I had to really put any money into the car (besides tires at 50K and general maintenance). Just had to have brakes, and almost all fluids changed. That was it.

The best part of the car is:
    Engine
    Seats
    Gas mileage
    Reliability

The worst part (and no surprise)
    Paint (lot's o chips)
    Trans (nothing major, just could be smoother)
    Thinking about giving the wife the car and getting a 350Z or FX35. Man, something about the LeMans Orange and Liquid Copper ;)

Nissan could easily put themselves at the top tier of automotive quality if they would just take our opinions and make some changes.

Take care!
  • Options
    ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    Figured I'd chime in after reading the last post. I'm at around 54K on my 2000 SE Auto and I feel about the same. I bought new tires at 38K because the Toyos didn't handle snow at that point and I live in MN. Bought Dunlop SPA2's and they're ok, they handle rain and snow better but don't corner as crisply as the Toyo's. As for issues, I had a couple nasty creaks/ticks in the dash, door, and back seat area that have all been remedied by 6 trips to the dealer (under bumper to bumper warranty) and some home remedies like felt in certain cracks. I'm not thrilled with my tranny either. It shifts into 2nd way too early, like at 5 mph sometimes, so if I sneak out around a corner because I can't see and am going slow and then hit the gas the tranny will stutter in a state of confusion, drop into 1st, and go like a bandit. It's fine if I punch it right from dead stop. I also get a slight buzz/vibration in the steering wheel when in stop and go traffic, like the torque converter or something. Besides those things, I really like the car. The 3.5 would be more fun, but for the money it'd cost to upgrade it's not worth it to me. I'm to the point now where RELIABILITY is the key factor. No brakes needed yet at 54K, couple paint chips here and there, CD says Error every now and again, A/C smells musty when first turned on. I still get lots of compliments on it, I have tinted windows, strut tower brace, K&N filter, and I get 20-21mpg in town and 24-28 on the highway. Solid car, solid value for sure. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, but not an 04, like the 03 much better. Long winded so I'm outa here.
  • Options
    My 98 SE has been trouble free since day one. The only exception are the batteries. I am on the third one. Batteries usually do not last long in Florida due to high humidity and heat. The car has never been to the dealer under warranty, not even for an adjustment. Replaced the original Toyos at 58K with another set of Toyos. The engine runs great. I have a 5 speed manual transmission, so no complaints there.
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    My 03 is just a baby; had it since March, just rolled 5000 yesterday. I have to say, I like the car just as much as when I took delivery, and for me that is a first. Usually I'll nit pick a car after I've had it a few months.

IF the Potenzas last two winters, however, it will be a miracle. I HATE those tires.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    The two most significant repairs, both coming after 130k miles, have been a new water pump and new starter. I wouldn't mind driving a new BMW 530i, but I can't bring myself to retire such a solid car when it's showing virtually no signs of slowing down - literally or figuratively.
  • Options
    rickinririckinri Member Posts: 13
    My wife and I bought an '03 SE (titanium pkg, etc...) back in Feb. It's just over 7500 miles and last weekend I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds (70-80mph)
    I brought it to the dealership (oil change and to fix this vibration)
    Apprarently, two of the rims are bent (one being the main cause of the vibration) I asked what it would cost to get ONE rim replaced and they told me......$663 - I can't beleive this - The shiny wheels are nice and all - but I don't think i can bring myself to spend that kind of money on ONE wheel. I was thinking it would be cheaper to just buy 4 new rims - that way when she bends them again (it's only a matter of time given the roads here in Rhode Island)- it's only going to run me $150 each.
    Do you think there could be a market (ebay, etc) for my two good wheels? If so, where?
    also - can anyone tell me the bolt pattern for the Max?

Thanks,
  • Options
    Make sure that your rims are in fact bent and that they require replacement. You can do a rough check yourself if you jack up the car in your garage and use a dial indicator mounted securely to a portable base. Did the dealer show you your "bent" rims when they spun the wheels on their balancer? How bad were they? There is a chance that your problem is not caused by your rims but rather poor balancing (a very common problem) or bad tires.

Also, there are companies out there that specialize in repair of bent and damaged alloy wheels. They may be able to fix your rims at a reasonable cost if they are in fact bent. I agree that the cost of new rims is absolutely outrageous. I remember back in 1978 when my father replaced all wheels on his 76 Olds 98 coupe (the last of the giants with a 455 cu in engine) and paid $ 80 for four new steel wheels (yes, $ 20 a piece). The wheels were so cheap that most people bought extra wheels to mount their winter tires on. I guess not too many will be doing this on new Maximas.
  • Options
    norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    My 2000 GLE just displayed this warning light for my pleasure ;-) It happened two days ago. Now, it stays on whenever the engine is running.

I know this has been discussed before but perhaps someone might be kind enough to tell about their experience as to the reasons and resolution.

Thanks ... Norbert
  • Options
    In the case of my 1995 SE, the "check engine" light has come on at least 3 times over the past 2-3 years. In two cases, they checked it and reset it when nothing came up on the computer. The last time, after several weeks, it stopped coming on by itself.

The first time it happened, I called the dealer immediately from my cell phone to make sure driving the car was safe. He inidcated that as long as the engine appeared to be running smoothly and the temperature was normal, I could continue to drive the car.

The most common suggested cause is failing to securely tighten your gas cap after filling. However, I think this is an urban legend. I always turn past a couple of "clicks" and have never used less than premium octane gas. My suspiscion, which my dealer concurs with, is that the sensor is very sensitive to fuel mixture, etc. and will occasionally come on by itself.

If I were you, I'd give it 4-5 weeks to go off by itself.

P.S. As a corollary, I've also had the "airbag" light come on three times over the last 2-3 years. First two times, they didn't find a problem after a $75 diagnostic check and reset it. Last time, found I needed a new master control unit at roughly $1,000. I said that I would wait and, lo and behold, after 2 months the light went out. I had a different dealer check it out for $25 as an add on to a free inspection promotion, and he found no problem.

These "check" lights appear to be very sesitive and have a mind of their own. Or they are somehow wired to go off when the service manager decides he needs a bigger boat.
  • Options
    mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    My wife has the headlight/fog light film protectors on her car which she took off a few weeks ago. They have worked wonderously these past two years gaurding the headlamps from stones and other debris. She took them off the other day to replace them, but when they came off, some the the adhesive stayed on the headlight. Does anyone know how to take the adhesive layer off of the headlight? We have tried everything, but the adhesive seems to strong.
  • Options
    jspears2jspears2 Member Posts: 19
    Just purchased a black 2000 SE 70k miles for 12k from Carmax here in Bham. Traded in a 93 Infiniti J30 for it and man I am loving it. Just wanted to find out a couple of things. First, I need to purchase an extended warranty but didnt want to pay 2k for the Carmax version, any ideas or help out there?? Secondly, how do you reset the remote for the door locks, I have 2 remotes and only 1 of them works. I have have owned a 91 SE, 94 GXE, 97 SE and now a 00 SE and I have loved everyone of them immensely.
  • Options
    I was skeptical too - given that my wife's only had this car for 7,500 miles. I had the dealer "balance" the wheels then I drove down the street to Town Fair Tire. I think I dealt with the manager there - he was a pretty good guy - he actually didn't beleive the rim could be bent and asked if i had a few minutes for him to have his guys take the wheel off and put it on their machine. They were the ones that told me the one wheel is bent and a second rim is bent slightly.

Can you or anyone else recommend any "reconditioners" for these wheels?

Also, you mentioned back in '78 wheels were $20 a pop. sounds kinda high- just 3 or 4 years ago (while i was still in school) when I was driving like an [non-permissible content removed] and hit something in my '86 cutlass, drove down to a local yard and bought 2 used wheels for $50 (front and back pass. side) - that car was so cheap to fix....
  • Options
    norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for your advice. I just read your message upon return from the dealer. I went there since I found out that it is almost certainly a Warranty item. It was. They came up with a "code PO420/PO430 3-Way Catalyst Function." According to some Nissan Service Bulletin, they reprogrammed the ECM (Engine Control Module). The problem went away and I paid nothing.

BTW, I have been using the regular Costco gas quite a bit so I suspected-erroneously-that it could be the cause. I also checked the gas cap before I went to the dealer. It was OK, too.
  • Options
    texextexex Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2004 Maxima SL. Nice ride with the 265 horses. I'd like to add a few more without going overboard. Can start with a K&N filter. Any other suggestions? I keep seeing the 280+ on both the Z and FX35 with the same basic engine. My first car was a '65 Chevy Impala SS, so maybe I'm trying to drive down memory lane a bit with the size and power.
  • Options
    Frankly, as an owner of a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed with a measely 190hp, I think Nissan has overdone it with 265 hp. I haven't driven the 2004 SE 6-speed yet, but the 2003, with 255 hp, had enough torque steer to be dangerous. And, for all that additional horsepower since 1995, the 2003 was only marginally quicker in real life (at least up to 70 mph). Another 10-20 horsepower probably won't make much of a difference.

I think if you are trying to go down the memory lane of your Chvy Impala, you should consider doing so in a RWD car. I assume you considered the G35?
  • Options
    monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Texex the FX35 has 270 hp not 280+, differences in the exhaust and intake make up the differences the Max has a more restricted exhaust than the 350. Habitat once more the 95 is 7/10th's of a sec slower to 60 than the 03 manual which is considerable not marginal lots of car lenghts while at speed and traps some 7-8 mph more in the 1/4 than the 95 (the difference in the automatics is even greater in acceleration). That is a great difference and you must remember that the Maxima has gained a few hundred pounds since 95 as well. The 3.5 is much improved over the 3.0 in every way except for vibration, and torque steer shouldnt be a problem unless your gunning it from every light which most people donot do!
  • Options
    There is nothing "measly" about the 190 HP of the fourth generation Maxima. For one thing, the engine is wonderfully smooth and quiet and delivers very good fuel economy for the level of performance it produces. I would say it is a very happy medium between performance and fuel economy. I do not believe that subsequent generation Maximas are capable of delivering steady 27 MPG in combined driving with A/C on.
  • Options
    I seem to recall the 2004 (and 2003) Maxima 6-speed rated at 6.3 seconds from 0-60. The 1995 5-speed was rated at 6.7 by Car and Driver in June 1994. Those may not be exactly apples to apples, but that actually isn't that far off from my butt meter.

I guess my point would be better illustrated by relative competititon. When I bought my 1995 Maxima, the BMW 328i w/ 189 horsepower was almost identical in it's acceleration ratings. Now, 9 years later, the 265 hp Maxima is not as quick as a similar weight 225 hp 330i. And it's way slower than the previous generation 240 hp M3.

I agree with p100, that the Maxima is a good balance between performance and practicality. But if you want to really push the performance dimension, you will get a lot more bang for your additional horsepower buck by going to RWD. Not to mention better weight balance and handling.

This doesn't diminish my respect for the Maxima as one of the best FWD sedans available at any price.
  • Options
    I was referring to the 02/03 which was tested at 6 flat Habitat in the Novememer 2002 C/D and you said you tested a 03 we all know the 04 was tested slower and recall what they said " the drive by wire was acting up"? I recall a 95 being tested at 7.4 in road and track back in July 1994 and the test you claim and your buttmeter is ok but not to accurate because like I said 7/10's of a sec is alot of car lengths and not to mention its going several mph faster at the same point than the 95.
  • Options
    not that it's all that surprising, but now that my wife is aware that one of her rims is bent, she can feel it....
    so I guess I'm gonna have to fix it afterall....
    Can I get away with putting 16" rims on a 2003 SE?
    from eyeballing it, it looks like the brakes would have adequate space - but I wanted to check - Tire Rack didn't show anything less than 17" - I think with a little more meat on the tires, it may protect the rims from the harsh new england roads.

any thoughts?
  • Options
    texextexex Member Posts: 5
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to race (not that I didn't in my old SS), so I won't be having torque steer problems. I just like the combination of size and power on the highway.
  • Options
    I do not have any experience with companies that repair damaged alloy wheels but there is quite a few of them. Search Google under "alloy wheel repair".
    Some companies also offer new factory alloy wheels at substantial discounts. One option is also to buy two used factory wheels from a wrecking yard at a reasonable price. Try www.silverstarrecycling.com. But I would make sure that I need those rims first. 2003 Maximas come with notoriously lousy Bridgestone Potenza tires. They probably require frequent rebalancing - something like every 5K miles, and it must be done correctly.
  • Options
    kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Does anyone know whether installing an after market remote starter will void the warranty on a new Maxima? I thought it is a good gadget for winter driving, which allows you to warm up the car before you get in.

As an aside, how frequently (mileage wise) should one rotate the tires? One of my Max (with 38k miles) needs a new set of tires. The original stock 16" Potenza RE 92 tires are quite bald and the garage recommends Yokohoma tires (a set of four costs about $350). Any thoughts?
  • Options
    For those that are interested, please read the long term test written in July 2003, which, in my opinion, summarizes why I like the Max -- it is not the best sports sedan or the most comfortable luxury car, but it makes a good compromise between those objectives at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can get to the articles about the 2002 GLE from the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page. The Introduction is the piece that is linked, but from that you can get to all of the updates.

: )
  • Options
    I think we've beaten this to death, but just to take one more swing: Even my buttmeter, biased as it might be, could tell the difference between a 95 5-speed and an 03 6-speed if the difference really were 1.4 seconds 0-60 (7.4 vs. 6.0). That's not even close to accurate. I don't know where you got the 7.4 figure, but Road and Track and Car and Driver tested the 1995 at 6.6 and 6.7 respectively - I have the old issues. And, using my Honda S2000 as a benchmark, I think I can accurately state that the 2003 Maxima SE 6-speed is a lot closer to the 1995 Maxima than the S2000 (5.4 to 5.6 by most measures).

But 0-60 disputes aside, my point was simply that the Maxima is either at or damn close to the limits of what a FWD setup is capable of in performance. Putting more horsepower into that setup would be like me taking 5 Flinstone vitamins every morning. It might make me think I "feel" better, but in reality, I'd be peeing most of the extra vitamins down the toilet.

Again, just my opinion. If you think FWD is the ideal setup for a true performance sedan and the more horsepower the better, that's up to you. Fair enough?
  • Options
    Well habitat I agree with you its at its limits but as far as the 7.4 sec for the 95 it was in the June 1994 issue of Road and Track, they never got a sub 7 sec for the 95-99 manual. That 6.6 was tested in Motor Trend in the June of 1994 as well and C&D got a 6.7 for it in the June 1994 issue as well. R&T also got a 7.1 sec for the 1997 Max manual in the 6/97 issue. I also think the opposite that the 03 Max is alot closer to my 350z than my 97 Max was to the 03 Max and the 350 is clsoe to the S2000, but to each his own.
  • Options
    topcuttopcut Member Posts: 54
    I just purchased a 2004 Nissan Maxima...On the way home I put on the freshair vent...The air coming out of this felt like the Desert...Hotter than the heater....After several calls to Nissan and the dealership I was bascically told that this was a design flaw in the car and there was nothing they could do about it...No more Nissans for me.....!!!!!!!Don't say much for their engineering crew :)
  • Options
    Your complaint is one reason why I never buy first year redesigned vehicles - especially when they start building them in the USA. In a few years they will fix most annoying problems and the vehicle will be a good buy. But by then, they will redesign it again to keep up with the fashion trend at the expense of quality.
  • Options
    That is a weird problem ... a fresh air vent blows in air hotter than the heater. But if the outside air is desert hot, I suppose you will get the same hot air inside. The only benefit-consolation I see from this problem is that you can turn on the fresh air vent in the cold winter and get instant hot air hotter than the heater.
  • Options
    blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    Depending on where you live...I agree with kenny. The outside air is not going to be cooler anyway if its hot outside. Wait for a cool day/night and see if the air is just as hot.
  • Options
    berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but,
    did you try adjusting the temperature control knob
    down to something like 68 degrees. Take the climate
    control system OUT of AUTO (to manual) and set the
    temp in the mid to upper 60's and see if anything changes. As noted above, if the outside air temp
    is 88 degrees you will probably get 90 degrees
    coming thru the vents as you'll pick up SOME hot
    air from the engine compartment. Give this a try
    and good luck!

berbel
  • Options
    boneslvboneslv Member Posts: 8
    I have not experienced this problem in our 04. I have put on the fresh air vent and the air does not seem too much hotter than the outside air. I have always noticed the air is hotter (compared to the air outside) since it is coming through the vehicle. Considering it is around 107 here in the desert and if the air is coming off the engine it should be 200ish and I would be baking myself :), which it does not feel like. I will try to watch it closer but the air seems to on par with my previous cars. Berbel had a good point. My wife had the same complaint about our Sequioa (in the spring) when the temp. in the truck was set for around 80 and ouside it was low 70's she wanted the cooler air. I just lowered the temp. in the truck and we got the cooler air.
  • Options
    merlionmerlion Member Posts: 39
    Anyone here installed the K & N air filter for your 5th generation Maxima ? any problems so far ? how many miles since ?

I am thinking of installing the K & N air filter for my 2002 Maxima SE.
  • Options
    topcuttopcut Member Posts: 54
    Temp control not the problem...The dual zone temp control only lowers to 60 degrees and that is where it is set....I know how freshair vents work....and this is warmer than normal...
       I got a hold of Nissan and they say there is not a inlet-outlet vent on the box as before,thus the freshair passes by the heater coil before entering the cabin,,,and there is not a fix for it at this point...I did notice when the mode is set where it is blowing at your face level,,,rather than the face and feet level it somewhat cooler....minor problem I guess...other than that I love the car...handles and rides like a dream....having the XM system installed shortly ,,anyone else have the satellite radio ????...
  • Options
    i have one installed in my 2k maxima... put it in at 10,000 miles, now at almost 40,000 miles..no problems so far.. dont expect much of a performance gain..the only reason to install one is so that you dont have to change the filter so much..
  • Options
    kyleknicks:

Thanks for your input. I am trying to see if the majority has any problem with this air filter.

I am not expecting any boost in the hp. If I do, I will install some CAI system. Have u cleaned & re-oiled the air filter so far ? Do u see any increase in mileage ?
  • Options
    ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    Ditto on the no performance gain. Not sure what's best in the long run, probably the K&N, but at $55 plus $10 for the cleaning kit it's almost easier just to buy a new one every other oil change for $6-8. Don't know on the mileage, maybe get .000001 mpg better ;-)
  • Options
    kyleknicks:

Thanks for your input. I am trying to see if the majority has any problem with this air filter.

I am not expecting any boost in the hp. If I do, I will install some CAI system. Have u cleaned & re-oiled the air filter so far ? Do u see any increase in mileage ?