Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• richjenkinsrichjenkins Member Posts: 55
    Paul...Thanks for asking.

Originally I would have liked to order a manual transmission '99 C class - At the time I was replacing a '92 Honda Accord EX 5 speed with 98K miles -- which replaced a '88 Honda Accord LX 5 speed with 106K miles -- which replaced -- well, you get the idea.

I fell for the rock-solid feel and driving experience of the C. I picked the C280 as it represented better combination of smooth ride and features/value for money. C230K was a hard pick because of similar power for less money. I guess it was down to the V-6 smoothness. Still, at the time, I really wanted to have a manual.

Last year (I believe it was) the C240 was available as a 6 speed. I test drove one of these cars but it did not excite - perhaps with less power than my C280 it was not a move forward. Although I did really like the new style, as well as new features (autodimming lights, rain sensor etc.)

This January I noted that, in addition to the new Sport Models, the C came with new K 1.8L engine. I had been trying to test drive this for some time, but travel at work always seemed to get in the way.

Rationale for replacing current C pretty much boils down to getting back to a manual transmission. I guess this is unusual in the States (not sure what percentage MBs are standard but it must be pretty low) but at the end of the day I do get a lot of driving pleasure from the a stick shift car (My '67 Austin Mini Cooper S is great -- just no air conditioning:) All the other things that come with the new C are a real bonus: rack/pinion steering, lights, styling, two wipers, etc etc.

Plus the C230K is "less" than a C320 i.e. my depreciation will be less with this car (realising that I am paying "again" for a car 5 years later).

Finally, and possibly as a side reason for replacing, we chose not to get the extended warranty for our current C. I had reason to regret this this past week when the A/C failed and its scheduled to go into to the dealer for $1600 worth of repair/replacement for compressor, dryer, lines, labour, etc. You do have this happen to you but it is a sobering amount to see on a repair order I can tell you. Frankly overall I think the repair costs/maintanance has been average in my view. Much more than the Hondas, of course (which were, albeit a bit bland, quite trouble free.) Mind you I am not complaining, my dealership offers free MB loaners for service and have taken very good care of me since '99; could not fault the service. I would plan to get the 7/100 extended warranty on the new C230K, for sure.

The driving of the car still hooks me though; like its hewn out of solid metal. Best cars in the world, IMHO.

Good Luck with your C....rich
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Thanks, Rich. I appreciate your view and detailed comments.

Sorry to hear about the A/C. I miss a standard as well, but get that (albeit vicariously) in my Toyota truck. Come to think of it, it does seem strange to be driving an MB "Sport" model with an automatic. But there were 8 of them on the dealer's lot, so I never questioned any alternative. Also I don't think MB offered a standard in the (US) C230 in '00.

Happy hunting and best of luck!

- Paul
    ...and to you. I like the sound of your Truck, if I had a lot of money I'd buy an old Land Rover myself, you know, the kind you hose out after carrying the cow manure:) I really liked the C230K, the Kompressor engine made a lot of sense to me. And the car is as solid as a rock.

Will see what I can find out from my dealership about the '04 C changes over the next couple days...cheers...rich
  • jettaglxvr6jettaglxvr6 Member Posts: 64
    Now if you had just listened to me a few months ago, you would already be cruisin' around in your new C230 sport sedan!!:)

On the serious side, I was glad to hear that your impressions of the car were so positive. Back in January, I test drove the C320 auto and the C230 manual back to back and came away with the same feelings. No doubt that the C320 is a great car, but the C230 with the 6 speed was soooo engaging and entertaining to drive. I have got to say that after two months of ownership and 2500 miles, I still smile the same way every time I walk out and see my Benz and especially when I drive it. Not a single problem to report. The only negative that I can come up with is that a rear facing car seat makes you have to pull up the passenger seat closer to the dash than I would like. . .but we do must of the "baby traveling" in my wife's new Element.

I hope you end up purchasing your car soon; the set up that you would like sounds pretty awesome. My car was only equipped with the C2 package, heated seats, Bose & 6 disc changer; and honestly, I don't feel as though I miss anything. I will say that the HID Xenons are nice to drive with, but the cost to replace them just seemed too high for my blood, but that is just my personal opinion.

Lastly, I'm glad to see that those "young and hip" (or did you say "aimed at the younger market") 17inchers are growing on you; because, they sure do complete the car and really separate it from the other C-Class models. If you do decide to purchase, keep us informed of your ownership experiences and I will let you know if there is any news to report on my new Benz.

Happy shopping!
    Tony

PS My latest Motor Trend magazine came in yesterday and they did a comparo with the C230 Sport Sedan 6 speed, new Acura TSX 6 speed and the newly redesigned Saab 9-3 6 speed. . .and of course, the C230 was the CLEAR winner!!!:)
    ROTFL...yeah, yeah I know:)...younger set...Wife says it must be that time of life thing...

Will let you know how it goes...cu...rj
  • krb5krb5 Member Posts: 1
    News Industry know-it-alls see revised cosmetics and a few new features for the 2004 C-Class. A full redesign is reportedly on for 2006. By that time, though, Mercedes should be selling a smaller car called A-Class, which has been available in Europe for several years but never officially imported here. We'll be getting a redesigned A-Class, though it's expected to be another high-profile "one-box" 4-dr hatchback with small 4-cyl engines driving the front wheels. It should also retain a unique bi-level floorpan sandwiching exhaust system and other underbody components. Length and width should again approximate Ford Focus dimensions, but may grow a couple of inches.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 23282.htm#incentive
    I drove an A160 in London in 2001 - a really fun, small, solid vehicle to drive. Strange to be shifting with my left hand, though. I thought it was neat that the manual automatic climate control (non-digital) had temperature indicators on the thumbwheel, as did MBs of the 1970s and 1980s. My '00 C230 has no numbers - only blue, white, and red gradients.

- P.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Mercedes is making a grave mistake by importing any variant of the A-Class here.

M
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    I have a 1997 C-230 with 70K on the odometer. This is the first Benz I have ever owned and has been a decent car, except for transmission whine. I thought this was customary for this car (rear wheel drive and all) but I just returned from europe where I rode in a C-class with 298,000 km, it was quiet as a mouse compared to my car. At the 60,000 mile service I requested the transmission be serviced. When I went to pick the car up the service writer says the transmission has synthetic fluid god for the life of the transmission. Checked with local independent (Bosch) shop and he concurred. It is not terribly loud but noticable. Any suggestions? Ignore and turn up radio?
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Are you sure it's the transmission and not the rear end/differential? The rear end can make a whining noise but it should not and is repairable. Does the whine rise and fall with engine RPM? MB auto transmissions are quiet.
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    but the noise seems to eminate from the transmission tunnel, not the rear end. Maybe I expect the car to be Honda quiet, which it is not.

Thanks for the input...
    Found on:

http://web2.mercedes-galerie.de/w203news_e.htm#009

"Five-speed automatic: new shift mode for even smoother motoring
    Mercedes-Benz has devised new shift modes for the five-speed automatic transmission available as an option for the C-Class. In addition to the standard mode, which can be activated with the switch next to the selector lever labelled "S", the automatic transmission will now feature a comfort mode, "C". With this mode selected, the C-Class always pulls away in second gear and gearshifts are made before the engine reaches its maximum rev speed.

ESPŽ: automatic warning when tyre pressure is too low

The sensors fitted as part of the standard-specification Electronic Stability Program (ESPŽ) will in future also be able to monitor tyre pressure. If this item of optional equipment is selected, a message will appear in the instrument cluster display to warn motorists if the pressure in one tyre starts to drop. To calculate the pressure in the tyres, the ESPŽ system continually compares the tyres' rolling circumferences, which change depending on the road speed and the tyre pressure. ESPŽ permanently records the wheel rotation speeds and compares the values with one another, allowing the system to swiftly detect any significant deviations. The control module also automatically checks other variables relevant to the vehicle's handling dynamics, such as lateral acceleration, yaw rate and wheel torques in order to diagnose any loss of pressure in a tyre. The system does not however measure the actual air pressure in the individual tyres.

Aero wipers: ultra-effective technology direct from the wind tunnel

Mercedes-Benz is further enhancing both safety and convenience in the C-Class by fitting all models as standard with the aero wipers which have already proved their merit in the Stuttgart-based car manufacturer's leading model series. The new windscreen wipers are the result of development work carried out in the wind tunnel: unlike the hinged holder system featured by conventional wiper blades, where the wiper rubber is hooked into the blade's grips, the aero wiper consists of a single moulded rubber strip with an integral aerodynamic lip and sprung rails on the outside. These rails are able to adapt exactly to the contour of the front windscreen, meaning that optimum contact force is maintained during the full sweep of the wiper. The result is lower wind noise and improved wipe quality, particularly when travelling at motorway speeds.

Plus, the front windscreen's rain sensor will now be able to do more than to just adjust the wiper speed to the intensity of the rainfall; as an option, it can also close the tilting/sliding sunroof automatically and raise it into the tilted position.

Text: DaimlerChrysler"

What's interesting is the "Text: DaimlerChrysler" reference; given the web site's .de domain this is likely to relate to German cars only...

rj
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    We already have the "S" and "C" button next to the shifter on our '02 C320: the "S" is for standard and other option is labeled "W" for "Winter" not "C" for comfort, but it does the same, e.g., starts in second &etc.
    Yes, I agree; the whole description sounded exactly like what is currently on Otto. I guess it turns an existing capability into a "Feature"...;)

rich
    Check this out:

http://www.c-spotdriveparty.com/sneakpreview.asp

Bet you a doughnut this is the '04 "coming out" party...would like to wangle an invitation to this!!!

rich
  • bnadrojbnadroj Member Posts: 5
    From the web page it looks like anyone can sign up...I did, so we'll see what happens!
  • noredtodaynoredtoday Member Posts: 4
    HI

I am planning to purchase either a 230 or 240 seden and was wondering what kind of prices I am looking at off msrp. The only other resource I have is carsdirect.com.

I am not a fast driver but I feel like I can save some money with the C230 but how does it feel on potholes in New York City with the sports package. As I like to drink coffee with one hand.

thanks a lot for reading my post and taking the time to answer my questions..^_^
  • valonvalon Member Posts: 22
    well i got mine in march and it is 230c sport , i drive thru nyc almost every day so you should not worry about your coffee cause its the best car for potholes you will get plus you will save some money and horsepower is better, also i would suggest you to wait till September and get a 2004 model cause cd will be standard, now is just a option but before you do anything go and test drive both of them see what you like more.
    Mine was total with tax $31640 i have c-2 and c-4 Heated Front Seats and 6 cd changer.
    Good luck with the new mb
  • hansenhansen Member Posts: 18
    Hi folks,
    Has anyone had any problems with the Brake Assist and Stability Control going out? The screen on my dash stated that they were both out and I took it to the dealer. A few days later, it's doing it again. I drive a C320 sedan.
  • scscarsscscars Member Posts: 92
    We had the same problem on our '02 C230K coupe last summer. After two trips to our M-B dealer, their technicians traced the ESP/BAS failure screen to a software glitch which was traced to an error in the program code. The systems were never really down, but the glitch kept triggering the failure screen. After consultation between our dealer and M-B in Germany regarding the software problem, the system was reprogrammed and the failure screen has not reappeared since then. Apparently the ESP/BAS failure screen has been a problem that has affected C-Class and some S-Class models. M-B should have a handle on it by now.
  • tulanekid24tulanekid24 Member Posts: 25
    Will the C class get DVD nagivation for the 2004 model year?
  • e320wagone320wagon Member Posts: 13
    Hi Hansen,

Our 2002 c320 sedan did the same thing - the display would log the two malfunctions, and turning the car off would clear them. It happened once in January, and I did nothing. In April it started doing this every few days. The dealer diagnosed it, and installed an updated cable (let me know if you'd like the part number). We haven't had the problem since!

Hope this helps.
    Thank you e320wagon and sccars for your responses. The service department called me to tell me that my car will be in the shop until at least next Tuesday because the part comes in from Baltimore.

This is the second time that I am bringing in my car for the same problem, so I will be using my E320 loaner through the weekend for a grand total of 10 days (at least). This is funny to me from a business sense. This my second time getting this issue repaired. If you take into account the parts and labor, cost of giving me a E320 loaner, the free coffee, etc,etc, this repair is costing several hundred dollars of the dealer's and /or MB's resources.

Here is a serious question: When I paid all that money for a Mercedes, was I paying for a well-made machine, or am I subsidizing a company that is inefficient and wasteful with a mediocre product?
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    great question....do you really want the answer......
    " When I paid all that money for a Mercedes, was I paying for a well-made machine, or am I subsidizing a company that is inefficient and wasteful with a mediocre product?"

Yes.
  • e320wagone320wagon Member Posts: 13
    You got a really great car! We had an older c as a loaner when our e was being serviced. The looks did not strike me, but the car was wonderful to drive! When it was time to replace my car (a year later) the c320 was the choice.

Both our e and c have about 20k miles now, neither has had any big issues. Actually, the BAS/ESP light in the c has been our "biggest" problem, and that was fixed right the first time by our local dealer. I have been very pleased by our dealer, both for sales and service.

As an avid shadetree mechanic / car nut, I am amazed how well all these complex systems work. My two cars are the safest, most comfortable, fuel efficient, and dependable cars I have ever known. Just thinking about them makes me smile!(although I did hedge my bets, and purchase the MB extended warranty - out of character for me!)

I hope you grow to enjoy yours as well.
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    Our '00ML was our first MB and a recent repair effecting the transfer case at over 70K was our first out of pocket repair bill. I'm sure many have had cars and drove them trouble-free for 100K--I know I have. It's still the best truck I've ever owned and overall, a good value too.

Our ML experience impressed us enough to seriously consider the C-class and after comparing it with all of the competition, the '02 C320 seemed like the best choice at the time. With over 21K miles, we have not been disappointed. If it was struck by lightning and disappeared tomorrow, we'd get another C320.

Surprisingly, I like the C320 better than the '01 E320 loaner that I drove while the ML was in for repairs. The E-class is a great freeway cruiser and the 320 engine provides plenty of power, whatever it's in, but it makes a C-class sedan a sports car.
  • iblostboyiblostboy Member Posts: 2
    HeLLo =]

I was wanting to get a Navigational System installed in my C320 - I was wonder if anyone of you guys who own a C class has gotten one installed - A Benz Orginal NAV. System would be nice, it would mount in perfectly - But i don't know if its possible to get a benz nav system installed cause the cars come from germany and the system is installed at the factories - if i was to get a after market part like Kenwood etc etc it wouldn't look that decent.
  • buzzsaw45buzzsaw45 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a C-230 sedan to replace my venerable Accord. I am worried about Consumer Reports caution to "expect below average reliabilty" and numerous web threads referencing electrical problems. Can anyone bring me up to date on the current situation before it's too late? (Fortunately, I discovered the Lexus transmission debacle just in time.)
    My car has never been unreliable in over 2 years and 48K miles. Lots of small and intermittent problems but the only annoyance was taking it in for service. Most early build problems have been corrected. Don't know about the new 230 engine reliability...it's still new. I would buy another.
    I wanted to thank everyone for their comments on my previous posting and entertain you further.

I went to the dealer today to get some things out of my car, so they take me into the service area and I see my poor car. The seats were out and a fair amount of the interior had been dismantled, including the seats. My first reaction when I saw the car was a four letter word out loud. There were wires everywhere. I sure hope they are able to put it back together correctly.....

I will say this much. The cookies and the coffee are excellent, and I am getting use to my E320 loaner.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I think the C class reliability has improved somewhat. The first year had some teething pains that affected a large number of cars (the memory-seat/key thing in particular). Our 2002 C240 is about 2 years old now. After about 5000 miles, the check-engine-light came on. The dealer replaced the engine computer the next day. We've had no problems since then. YMMV.

I would suggest that you consider getting the extended warranty if you expect to keep the car beyond 4 years. Mercedes parts and service are quite expensive, so when something does break after the warranty period, it will be expensive to fix.
  • frenchy2002frenchy2002 Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know if MB plans to offer a manual version of the C240 or C320 all wheel drive? Thanks
  • apollo1010apollo1010 Member Posts: 2
    My wife is set on a C240. It is pre-owned with 4000 miles / mfg Jan 2003 / registered 3/03. Checked CARFAX seems OK though off-lease. Dealer asking for $29,500. Has C2 package, leather seats, 6 cd changer and metallic paint. Do you think it is a good price? I am still happy with my Accord (1990) w/180k miles. I little worried about all the MB C-Class quality issues on the message board. Please advise.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Is that with a manual transmission or with an automatic?

If the former, it's only about $1,500-$2,000 off of invoice, which isn't too great and not worth getting "used." If it's the latter, then it's definitely overpriced (unless there are some other options not mentioned. Also, when you say it has leather seats, do you mean the standard leather-trimmed seats that it comes with, or the full-leather package?

In quite a number of areas of the country you can get a C240 for not much more than invoice. Even Carsdirect.com had pricing (that ended June 30th, but maybe will come back) that was close to invoice in my area.
  • apollo1010apollo1010 Member Posts: 2
    wmquan, thanks for the response - the car comes with auto, and full - leather package. Can you kindly suggest sites that I can check out for close to invoice price. I checked edmunds and they seem to just TMV that is Invoice + $500. Thanks.
  • noredtodaynoredtoday Member Posts: 4
    Hi Valon

Can you tell me where did you purchase your car in new york city?

I am trying to hard to find a c230 seden with xenons and is having a hard time trying to find one.

Thank you
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    Has anyone spent any time comparing the C230 Sport vs. C320 Sport? I drove both and they were surprisingly close. The C230 has just a bit rougher and noisier and had just a bit of hesitation compared to the C320. I'd like to hear other opinions, especially if you're a driver who leans more to the sporty side than the luxury side. I'm also considering the BMW 330i, Volvo S60R, and Infiniti G35.
  • valonvalon Member Posts: 22
    got the car in prestige mercedes in Paramus NJ, salsperson was very correct and no pressure at all try them
  • zingazinga Member Posts: 3
    Hi everybody,
    I'm a long time lurker on this board, and have found your input & discussions over the past few months very helpful. I recently placed an order for a 2004 C320 Sport Sedan and was quoted $500 over invoice price (which isn't available yet btw). The car will be ready for delivery around the last week of August.

Does anyone know if the invoice prices listed on Edmunds.com include the MB "advertising fee"? My dealer said that they don't, so he's adding a $400 advertising fee to whatever the invoice price turns out to be, which means that I'm really paying $900 over the Edmunds invoice. Does this sound right to you? TIA for your help.
    This is one of the worst years for auto sales in a long time. I wouldn't pay over invoice much less the 'advertising fee'. Is the dealer that convenient for you that you'd be willing to pay $900 more?
    Zinga,

In these days of corporate layoffs and downsizing (of which I was affected last year), I would not expect to pay over invoice for any car. I believe Mleskovar says it best in the post above.

The dealer who got my money was the one who came through with the lowest price on the same type vehicle.

Also, I did the same with the extended warranty and bought it from Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA for an $800. savings (800) 655-3535. Thanks to Edmunds forum and specifically Billp8 for steering me in that direction.

Good luck!
      - Paul
  • oniaconiac Member Posts: 13
    I currently have a 2002 Lexus IS300 sedan and love the power, handling, etc. but I'm one who couldn't settle for the same car for years. I test drove a Mercedes C230 kompressor sedan today. I like the Benz for the features but it doesn't have the IS's power & handling. On the other hand the Benz is a Benz, I think it looks better but the price can cost more than the IS if I get the auto trans, moonroof/leather package, xenons, etc. HAs anyone driven both cars ? Should I just keep the IS or get the Benz?
  • zingazinga Member Posts: 3
    mleskovar & paul_p : thanks for your advice. The dealer that I placed my order with is only 3 miles from home so they are definitely very convenient, but I will try to negotiate the price down to invoice or below. I've also started to shop around for a better deal.

oniac: IMHO, since you love the power & handling of the IS, I think you should keep it. The C230 would be a step down for you in terms of power & handling (unless you want to modify it). Also, the 1.8L supercharged engine on the C230 hasn't been around long enough to prove its reliability and durability. Just my $.02
  • oniaconiac Member Posts: 13
    zinga. Thanks. I thought of this today & agree with you. There's just too many critics on the IS 300 which I guess should be ignored...
    A few days ago, I saw a C32 AMG coupe (not the sedan) here in Orange County, CA. I did not realize those were being made. Does anyone on this board have one?
  • andrewsiandrewsi Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a c230 comp. sedan... Black Opal w/ ash leather interior, c2 package, motorola phone with voice (illegal to use cellphone in NY without hands free), 6cd changer, etc... paid about $33000, which is about what edmunds has listed for my area of NY with all the options.

I had been looking at it along with the bmw 325, audi a4, etc (usual suspects). After the testdrive, looking at options, value, etc. the choice was easy for me.
    Can't wait to receive it next week!
  • cruiserlustcruiserlust Member Posts: 19
    I would like to get a satellite radio (xm, sirius) for my 2002 C320, which, you would think would be a no-brainer since the equipment is 1/2 way there with the tele-aid.
    Has anyone looked into this? I would like to stick with Mercedes equipment. I read that the 04's will be offered with Sirius, but I don't think I'll be buying a new one to get the sat. radio unfortunately.
    Thanks
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    That was a Euro model, it's been on sale (over there) since the U.S. market C32 sedan went on sale. There is also a C32 wagon for Europe too. They may be thinking about bringing it here, as to why you saw one.

M
  • laurenxesqlaurenxesq Member Posts: 9
    the C32 coupe you saw in OC, was it black w/personalized plate? On the 405 fwy?

Is there really a C32 coupe AMG? Do you have additional info?
This discussion has been closed.