Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• jm99c280jm99c280 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    We just bought a Mercedes, a 1999 c280 Sport with 60K on her. Seems to drive fine in the short time we have had her. I purchased an extended warranty with the car(Platinum type) which will cover basically most everthing for 24,000 miles. We didn't get the manual with the car, getting it Tuesday, so I educate myself to much until then.
    I do see that upon starting the car a wrench symbol comes on with -1800 next to it. I guess that means we are 1800 over due for service. Naybody know what the 60,000 mile service is for one of theswe guys?
    We are also having a problem with the car when locked. The cars headlights will flash on and off and this seems to be wearing the battery. MB said it could be a door handle problem or even the glove box... Any ideas?
    Also a service advisor said he thought our motor mounts were bad when he sat in the car. We are planning on taking the car in for that and to be checked out. I beleive the mounts will be taken care of with the extended warranty. What elso should I be concerned with or about at this stage of life. Car runs strong and straight.
    I look forward to learning more about these great cars and thank all in advance for any help.

Jm99c280
  • benzmanbenzman Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply--I've owned Bmw's and Hondas over the years. I suspect it doesn't get as hot and humid in Wash as it does here in Phila. My 96 C280's A/C was fabulous--this new one doesn't begin to measure up. It struggles to maintain 72 degrees by running fan speed at 5 or greater-never seems to cool the car without this excessive fan speed and the system takes at least 30 minutes to drop to speed 4.
     Anyone else dealing with this problem?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I guess I didn't make my point strongly enough: we moved here from Sacramento, CA. Summer starts there in May and runs to October, with 100F days the norm for weeks at a time. I can assure you that the system on our C240 has been sorely tested, many times over.

Thus...it seems to me your car has a problem. Time to have a dealer check it out. The symptoms you describe could be either a system that is low on refrigerant, or an evaporator problem, or both...or electronics [the big MB bugaboo].
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    JC,

As you know I am loathe to disagree with you but I've found that the AC performance of the new C-Class cars (especially in black) barely hacks it here in Cincinnati. The higher humidity back here is probably the cause in the difference in experiences. BTW I lived in the Central Valley (Madera) for three years so I know the difference of the humidity effects.
  • afifafif Member Posts: 10
    Is anyone experiencing any problems with the digital display in the center console? In hot weather, the display becomes patchy in my c320.
  • benzmanbenzman Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply. The old '96 was black and the new one is silver. One would expect better a/c performance eh? The air blows tres cold but never seems to cool the car down to 72 when the outside temp is 90+ and humid. The fan runs at 5 or 6 or 7 and seems particularly worse when the car has been sitting outside in the hot sun for several hours( as expected). The old 96 would cool down soon and reduce the fan speed--this one never goes below 4. Even in the winter months it ran at 4 constantly. Do I have a complaint here or is this just the way this system runs? Appreciate any feedback.
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    Hey! I have a question. My wife wants a c320 and I was wondering if I would fit in it. I am 6'4"/250. Is there decent room? Should I look for something bigger? The car will be driven mostly by my wife but sometimes we will use her car. I would appreciate your responses.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    The only way to know is to try it.I'm 6' 1" and I don't have the seat all the way back or down. The seat and steering wheel memory is a great feature for two drivers.
  • machinegunmachinegun Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to purchase a new 2004 C230 Kompressor Sedan (brilliant silver metallic, ash leather interior)with sunroof package and 6 disc changer. What is a reasonable out-the-door price(after everything including TTL)? especially since 2005's are coming in, I guess they're willing to move them out from their lots.
    How can we answer that question without knowing where you are, and the tax and license you will pay?

Try this: go to CarsDirect.com, and enter your zip code. Configure the car the way you intend to buy it, and check the price accordingly. That will generally put you within $500 of the lowest price to be found in your area [CD imposes a fee for its services, so their price will tend to be higher than the real floor. Achieving the real floor, though, may require some shopping around amongst dealers.] Edmunds has their TMV calculation, as well.

As a general rule of thumb, in a very competitive market [like Southern Calif], 04s can be had for $4000 or more under MSRP [check Edmunds for the current dealer incentives - it should be at least $3k on '04 C sedans]. In less competitive areas, it might be harder to get that kind of deal, but you get the idea...
  • always49always49 Member Posts: 29
    I'd like to share my experience with all of the Edmunds.com's friends here.

Traced Edmunds.com and other sources for couple months, utilized Cardirect.com too, and test drove couple times at dealers. Finally figured out what I really wanted. I live at North California (Bay Area). The deal was made on the last day of June:

2004 C230K Sports Sedan(4Dr), Stick Shift (6sp), Black ext (not metallic, saved $600) and Ash Int. 6CD Changer, Sunroof Package.

Cost:
    Price of the car: $26,700
    Doc Fee: $45
    Some Tire Fee: $5
    Tax: $2,000 more (don't remember the exact number)
    License Fee: $225 (dealer estimated, will return extra if there is any)

Total out door: $29,185 for the car
    Bought 4yr/50,000mi Luxury tire/wheel road disaster insurance $299
    Then the total is $29,484.

Also was offered 7yr/100,000mi ext warranty at $2,380. I'll buy it soon.

I bought a 2000 BMW 328i before. Two things we don't like:
    1. Automatic Transmission (even w/Steptronic)
    2. Black int. leather.

Now we got all we want. Ash leather is a beauty! It matches so well with the Aluminum trim. Black ext with the 3-pointed chrome star, man! It’s a dream coming true. Me and my wife are just politely fighting for drive. The car was originally for me, but she has already moved our two carseats from our MDX to the 230K. Well, at least she happy, me happy.

Here, I want to thank all of you with your posts. I also want to give my special appreciation to Edmunds.com. I am your loyal reader since 1999.

Thank you all again with our love. You all have a happy I-Day!
    Hi folks,

I would like to get a little impartial advice from the people on this forum. I have a 2002 c320 that has had the following problems:

-SAS and brake assist repaired twice
    -cupholder repaired three times
    -overhead lighting module replaced
    -teleaid reprogrammed
    -faulty console display replaced-and here's the funny part-the whole unit came out of the dashboard while I was driving after it had been "fixed"
    -various taillight and front light replacement

I know that it is not a long list of things, but I am concerned that I am basically dealing with a shoddy piece of work and I would like to replace the car. I have 35000 miles on the car. I paid for the extended warranty, but an extended warranty means nothing if I can't trust my car to behave on long trips.

What are my options? Can I trade in this car and get a refund on the extended warranty? Is it more effective to go to the dealer or deal with a regional rep? I have bought both a ML and this car from the same dealer in Southern Cal (Laguna Niguel)-does that give me any leverage?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    I can understand your desire to get out of the car. However, I will predict that MBUSA will feel neither a moral nor a legal obligation to help you very much, if at all.

-The list of problems, while long, does not rise to the level of the CA lemon law's definition of a car that is legally eligible for a buyback. You have to be able to demonstrate that the car's problems are safety-related, and/or were left unrepaired after at least 3 attempts within a 12 month period [you should verify this definition - I'm doing this from memory]. Are there any UNREPAIRED problems right now?

-The extended warranty can be transferred to a new private owner, and thus can make the car worth more in a private sale. However, no dealer is likely to give you more on a trade for the car with the warranty. This is because they most likely will run it through their Certified Used program, which restarts the warranty clock and in effect makes the extended warranty redundant. And getting a refund in the unused portion of the extended warranty is theoretically possible, but very highly unlikely.

-Having said that, you indeed should have some moral leverage with your dealer. You would have to start with the General Manager of the LN dealership, and carefully explain what you are looking for. Stranger things have been known to happen than an offer of an inflated trade-in and a hefty discount on a new car in circumstances like yours. However, my expectations here would be that resistance is the most likely reaction. Then, you have a multitude of legal and practical choices. Still, the car with 2+ years and 35k miles on the clock is only going to be worth so much, no matter what - you need to be prepared by knowing just how much you are personally willing to spend to make this car go away and be replaced by something else. Start by using the usual sources [KBB, Edmunds, etc.] to understand what the current WHOLESALE value of the car is, so you can realistically assess any offer they might make.

Finally, a word on extended warranties in general [and this is aimed at the author of post number 6926, above, as well]:

-The price of the extended warranty, like every other aspect of pricing in the car business, IS SET BY THE INDIVIDUAL DEALER. Yes, there is an MSRP, but any profit above their cost is still pure profit. Shop around for the extended warranty. Our dealer in Sacramento agreed to match the lowest price I could find - start by checking with the dealer in Chico [Courtesy Motors?] - they have historically offered the warranty with deep discounting. Our '02 C240's 7/100 extended warranty cost less than $1800 - I'd have to dig into the credit card records to remember how much less. Don't take the first offer your dealer makes on warranty prices.
  • consideringmbconsideringmb Member Posts: 1
    My wife loves the C Class MB because of its size and I like the idea that the 240 comes in an AWD. Hopefully the AWD will handle well in the winter driving conditions of the Northeast. I would appreciate if anyone who owns a C240 AWD can share their experinces regarding the car's handling in the winter driving. I am also concerned that the small V6 may not have the pep necessary to make this a fun to drive car. Please advise if this has ever been a concern. Lastly, the MPG data on the window sticker is 18 and 25. Is this realistic or understated? Thank you.
    Can't speak to the question of AWD, though I have heard nothing but great things about it. However, on the latter two questions, I can say without equivocation that yes, the car has all the power you can reasonably need, and yes, the EPA estimates are spot-on. Our '02 C240 automatic is rated 19/26, and that realistically describes our actual experience over 22 months. We can get just a hair more on long flat trips at freeway speeds [say 75 mph average] - I've occasionally seen 27 mpg or so after a day like that - but the range represented on the sticker is very close to reality.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    We live in the Boston area. My wife has a 2002 C240. It does NOT have AWD. Each fall I put on snow tires. It does just fine. Is it as good as my 4Runner? No, of course not. But it's just fine.

The C240 AWD should do just fine. It will do much, much better if you'll spend a bit more and get a set of dedicated wheels and real snow tires. Most tire shops will store your winter/summer wheels and change them over for you for a modest fee if you choose not to do it yourself.

The AWD system will definitely reduce performance and the C240 is not exactly a speed demon without that weight.
    I got a quote from MB dealer who in Memphis,TN .Is the price ok? Need your help.
    Thanks.

The total cost of the car is $34,050.00. We will sell it to you for $30,760.00. That is under invoice. With taxes the total price comes to $33,091.94.
    What year? What model? If an '04 sedan, that is still a bit on the high side, but local market conditions may make this as good as you can do.

As a quality check, go to CarsDirect.com, configure the car using your zip code, and compare. CD has their own fee of $300-$500, so the price you see has that adjustment.

In a competitive market, which Memphis may not be, current prices on '04s average $4500 or more off MSRP [there is a $3000 dealer incentive on most '04 Cs]; for an '05, that would be a very good price anywhere.
    It's C230K sedan and 2004model.
    Thanks for good info.
  • huffyhedgiehuffyhedgie Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I just purchased a 2005 C240 6cyl for 31,000 out the door, tags, tax, etc. Did I do ok?

Huffy
  • decsdecs Member Posts: 8
    Sounds like a very good deal...could you tell us location, options and if that included c spot coupons, thanks :-)
  • mrchris91mrchris91 Member Posts: 2
    How's this deal sounds guys:

2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
    Automatic
    Sunroof package
    Entertainment Package
    Power driver seat package (10way with memory)

Might have the heated front seats too

MSRP $35,400

I am in California

Offering $400 a month for 45 months with $2500 down.
  • robertcrobertc Member Posts: 3
    Recently, I receive a quote from a Mercedes-Benz dealer in Southern California on a 2005 C240 sedan for 33,874 (MSRP 36,260). Is this a reasonable price? How much lower can I obtain for this car?
    It's reasonable without being rock-bottom - average discounts in the LA area seem to be in the order of $2500-$3000 on '05s. As a check, I always recommend going to CarsDirect.com and configure the car using your zip code - their price includes their service fee, which is somewhere between $300 and $400, so factor that in, and then compare. You're not that far off, and if the dealer has the car you want and is someone you like to work with, and/or has a service dept that you trust, these factors weigh against trying to squeeze the last few bucks out of any deal. Only you know for sure how it feels...
  • engineer1engineer1 Member Posts: 9
    Bought 2002 C320 (new); presently 20k miles. Handles well, very peppy, good gas milage. BUT, quality gremlins and spotty service. Inner door seals had to be replaced; bare rubber marked pants when getting in/out in addition to completely wearing out (on my pants). New seals (as well as early original) are convered in fabric. Now outer door seal is coming off. Chincey fasterner method is problem. Programable key (one) no longer works. When took to dealer to get seal fixed, lots of PR, no results. Took to second dealer. Second dealer fixed problem, but took two times as first time dealer fixed wrong "problem". Was thinking of new E or maybe even S, but no longer. Too much money for such petty quality problems. Have noticed sly hints at quality problems in the magazines, and now convinced MB has serious problems. Have old Toyota 4-R bought new in 93; incredible reliability and quality. Think my next vehicle will be another Toyota or if I feel flush a Lexus.
    engineer1-
    I totally agree with you. You can see from my previous post that I have been having a lot of problems with my car. (Thank you jrct9454 for the excellent advice). I decided to keep it since I had an extended warranty on it anyway and I don't want to spend any more money on a car.
    I have the following comments:
    -The c-class is a nice car, but it is the most basic of the Mercedes line. They should be able to get it right on this car. Does this mean that the more expensive cars with their bells and whistles have even more problems?
    -I am estimating that my car has had about 4-5 thousand dollars of work done on it (parts, labor and loaner). A lot of Mercedes owners are having problems and I am sure that DaimlerChrysler is spending lots of money fixing these cars. Having said that, I assume that the price for fixing shoddy workmanship goes right into the price of the cars. How much savings could Mercedes pass onto its customers if they built the cars right and we didn't have to keep coming back?

Next car-Toyota, Honda, Lexus or Acura
  • blp08blp08 Member Posts: 1
    Is it unreasonable to think that I can get a 2005 C320 AWD at invoice in the Chicago area?

Thx!
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Member Posts: 21
    Is it possible that there might be a C Class with some type of Diesel Engine (Like the E320 CDI) in the (near) future?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Maybe, but more likely after the 2007 redesign.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    read something in one of my car mags where they did a review on one of the ones in europe slated to come over her in 06 I think.. it was a C class CDI so I think its in there sights to do or at least attempt it..I for one would like to see it I have a older E class that was there desile (actually my fathers but he doesn't drive it so I do) and I like the thing...
    It would be strange for them to bother with it in the last year of this design when there may be a completely new design for 2007 models months later.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    that may be true I don't know mutch I don't follow it to the detail....
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    I just went through the MB's website for C55 AMG, and it is pretty nice looking car, however, not as nice looking as the new SLK35 AMG.

I am interested in leasing either C55 AMG or SLK35 AMG, however, I have heard a lot of quality problems with MB.

So, my plan is to lease the car until the warranty expires. Has anyone had any experience with leasing from MB dealer?

BTW I live at San Diego, CA.

Thank you
  • rickr705rickr705 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I’m new to the forum and Mercedes. I just purchased an ’04 C230 with the 6 Speed. I can’t seem to find any info in the manual (or a search on this forum) on the recommended min and max speed ranges for each gear. I am hoping someone here can provide some assistance. Thanks in advance.
  • cpisanocpisano Member Posts: 23
    Your tachometer will tell you when you have reached the redline (max) for each gear, and your engine lugging will tell you that you are going to slow for that gear. Is that what you are asking?
  • aka91aka91 Member Posts: 1
    I am amazed at all the issues people are having w/ repair costs. My car has 105k miles. I have paid over 5,000 to get things fixed. THe dealer can rip you off. I suggest finding a mechanic that specializes in foreign vehicles. I saved $1,000 last week on a repair the dealer claims I needed-but did not. I was told that the problem the dealer tried to say I has was not accurate. Most foreign shops use the same machines as the dealer to diagnose the codes.

I am now upside down in my car & need to get out b/c the bills are KILLING me!

I was thinking of the LEXUS 300 ES, but I have read that they are having transmission issues. Where can I find a dependable car worth the money?
  • rickr705rickr705 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I know I can use the tach...but in the 04 it is rather small and hard to see...and because the car is so quiet I can't always hear the engine well...I always owned sticks; this is the first one I've purchased that doesn't list the min & max speeds for each gear.
  • cpisanocpisano Member Posts: 23
    Maybe you can have someone take a spin with you, have them look at the tach and note down the high speed in each gear, except sixth of course. I don't suppose you'd need to check fifth either because sixth is more of an overdrive gear anyway. That way you only have to check four gears.
  • WeazellWeazell Member Posts: 15
    I looked today at a 2002 MB C320 Sedan. It looks like I could get it for around $25K which seems to be a dang good price, based on what I got from NADA. (Based on the VIN, they had it booked at $29,625 - Retail - and $25,775 - Trade-In.) Before I do anything nuts, I thought I'd ask a few questions . . .

1. The car has 27,000 miles on it, so it still has a ways to go on the warranty. Anyone have any experience with MB dealerships on how willing they are are to honor warranty issues from second or third owners of the vehicle?

2. There seem to be lots of questions about quality on this board. I know it's annoying when a quality vehicle gives you grief but it also sounds like the vehicles under warranty are getting problems fixed without too much trouble. Am I right or am I missing something?

3. I gotta know more about the cell phone thing. My guess is that it will only work with a specific MB approved, cell phone provider, right? There's no way to get my US Cellular number to work with this thing is there?

4. Any other advice from those of you who have bought a used MB C-Class vehicle?

Thanks for your help!

Peter
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Disclaimer....I have not bought a used MB, but my .02 from what I've experienced and read. Are you buying it from a MB dealer?

1. No problem at any MB dealer. If you plan on high mileage use get an extended warranty.
    2. Correct, they eventually get fixed. Now that the model has been out for a few years most fixes are known and quick.
    3. Do a search on all the forums, there's lots of grumbling about it, but I believe you can only use the MB phone package.
    4. You can ask MB to bring up the service record so you can check for any recurring problems that don't seem to be fixed. Has it ever been in an accident?...is a good question to get answered. Look for obvious signs (mismatched paint, poorly aligned panels and trim, bent, replaced, or missing pieces under the hood, under the car, or in the trunk).

Seems like a good price for a low mileage car. Good luck. I am very satisfied with my '01 C320
    Thanks for the information!

This car is not with an MB dealer. It's actually a Hertz used car lot. Asking MB to check the service record is a good idea, as well as asking about accidents. I thought of that one after I left the lot yesterday afternoon. The vehicle looks good anyway - no obvious evidence of an accident . . .

Peter
    I haven't seen a Mercedes at HertzCarSales. What city is it in?
    The Hertz place would have a copy of the service records there.
    You could look at the copy right there in the office if it is the same as other cars they sell.
    Hertz also has a 7 day money back guarantee so you could take the car somewhere for an inspection immediately and then return the car for a refund if there is some major problem you don't want to just get fixed under the warranty or if the problem isn't covered under warranty for some reason.
  • biggie2biggie2 Member Posts: 45
    2005 C240 in brilliant silver mitallic with sunroof package, heated front seats, and a 6 disc cd changer. Price with options 36,940, invoice from Edmunds is 34,407 and right now have it at 33,500. How much lower am i expected to be able to go??
    Not very much. Sounds pretty good to me...but as always, price questions without a location are pretty hard to deal with. If in SoCal, you might do better. Pretty much everywhere else, this is a very good price.
  • richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    Dependable cars worth the money include: Honda Accord 4 cylinder (don't laugh until you drive the 4 because you'll be amazed), Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, Subaru Legacy, Nissan Altima/Maxima, Volvo S60, Acura TL.

Those are all good cars with favorable service records and reasonable prices. Only disadvantage is that some like the Accord and Camry are too common. But the reason they're common is that they're so good and really worth what you pay for them.....Richard
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Want a really good car at a really good price and reliable, too?

Try a Chevy Malibu LT. That's right. GM. American ingenuity and know-how. A very high value choice and fun to drive.

Alternatively, the Kia Amanti is worthy or consideration. The quality and value are incredible. The Mercedes feel without the Mercedes price or unreliability.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    thanks for your comments, but this is not a comparo. We're here to talk about the C-Class for better and, yes, for worse if appropriate, but we're not here looking for alternatives, especially not alternatives that aren't in the same class.

Our comparison discussions are on our Comparisons board - check them out. If there isn't one where your thoughts fit, feel free to create a new one.

If you need help finding any of our resources, feel free to give me a holler via email.
    I'm looking at purchasing a used MB 2002 C320 from a local Hertz Used Cars dealer. It has 27,000 miles on it so it's still under warranty. I live in the Pacific Northwest and a friend mentioned that I should be careful to find out if this car came from Canada where it's "okay" to roll back mileage on the odometer. (I don't really believe this, of course, but I still want to be careful.) Not that I don't trust what the dealer might tell me (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) but, does anyone know how willing a Mercedes dealership might be in providing me with the service record and history on where the car has been? I have the VIN, so I would guess it could be found in their system. OR, if not the dealership, has anyone found Carfax to be a good source of info on this kind of info?

Thanks!

Peter
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    I am thinking about getting the 2005 C55 AMG.
    I know there is a C32 board, but it is read only and not much activity going on.

I want to know the quality reputation of Mercedes-Benz C class.

Is quality of the Mercedes-Benz much worse than, say, Honda? If it is, how much worse in terms of the typical problems and repair costs on C class? Also, does anyone have any experience with C32 AMG?

Thank you very much
  • bmbmwbmbmw Member Posts: 6
    Greetings all... I have been following this board for over a year and have found the discussions both interesting and insightful. This fall I intend to purchase either a new ('05) 240 (elegance) or BMW 325i. I have only owned and driven Corolla's in the past, on average keeping them 12 years...they have only ever been great cars. In terms of reliability, they are my standard. But I'm ready to try something more upscale now and after a fair amount of research it has come down to the 2 fine cars mentioned above. I intend to keep my next car for 10 years, I will only put low(city) mileage on it, will get the extended warranty and expect to pay it off within 1 year.

My first choice (or the choice of my heart) would be the 240, but I am concerned about the recent Consumer Reports ratings of the car. I know that the 01 and 02 years are of greater concern on this. How has the reliability been for those who bought '03 and '04 model years?

I guess my close 2nd choice (or the choice of my head) would be the BMW... its a little more sports sedan (I'm more of a touring sedan type myself)and it has very high ratings from most automotive sources... at any rate I would appreciate your thoughts, thank you...

B
This discussion has been closed.