Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• dtran2149dtran2149 Member Posts: 81
    Would like to get folks' impressions on 05 vs 06 engine experience - is the 06 a meaningful upgrade (i.e., worth it)?

At what difference in price between 06 new and 05 pre-owned is the 06 a much better bet - $1 K, $2 K, etc.?

One last question - is it better to just wait for the 07 or 08 body redesign? I think I read they were going to preview the next gen C at the 07 Geneva show (spring).

Am looking for my wife who loves the C-class!
  • shermankshermank Member Posts: 3
    It turns out that a plastic tube in the OS system had an almost invisible crack. The part was replaced, and the car runs fine. For the record, I was very pleased with how my dealer's repair shop handled this problem.

Sherm
  • soldaustinsoldaustin Member Posts: 91
    Well, I had the same dilemma. The 2005 C230 has the supercharged 4 cylinder and I am sure it is a great engine but it sounds really cheap outside for a Mercedes. It was pretty noisy. It drove fine but had a rough idle and I drove more than 1. Again, from what I have heard it is supposed to be a great engine. My problem was that the difference between the 2005 and the 2006 just wasn't great enough to justify buying a car with 15-20,000 miles on it to save 3k off of sticker. I decided to look at new and just didn't think I could deal. I was surprised. It seems new cars overall aren't selling well. Every lot I went to from Audi, to Volkswagen to Mercedes were all empty as far as customers go each time I went. I went during the week and the weekend. So I thought it was a good sign. I was right. We drove the 2006 and looked at 2 dealers. Both wanted to sell me and they bid against each other. I really can't say I had a whole lot to do with it. I know it sounds weird but apparently these dealers don't get along and they both wanted to beat each other.

Anyway, back to the engine. I also decided I liked the smoother feel of the V6. More horsepower yes, but it doesn't seem as quick to me. Still fine as it is for my wife and the slower it is the better! I only have 750 miles on it and so far so good. I got a new 2006 for what they were trying to sell me a 2005 certified pre-owned.(same options) No brainer on this one to me. Good luck!
  • shermankshermank Member Posts: 3
    Interesting post. My 2005 c240 is a 4matic (the reason I bought it since my previous 1998 C230 handled so poorly in snow). It is a 6 cylinder engine, not 4, as was the 98 C230. While the 2005 was being repaired, the dealer gave me a 2006 loaner...the C320 (these number designations get to be very annoying/confusing...:-) ).

Anyway, I really liked the 2006 which I think actually got a bit better mileage than the 2005. But, I had just bought the 2005 a few weeks earlier, and was not really interested in trading again. But, bottom line is that I agree the 2006 C320 4matic, may be a better car than its 2005 counterpart, the C240.

Sherm
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    I just went the other way; bought the 2006 C280. Great car! Lots of praise on the C350/C280 board for the new engines to the C-class.
  • dtran2149dtran2149 Member Posts: 81
    "I also decided I liked the smoother feel of the V6. More horsepower yes, but it doesn't seem as quick to me. Still fine as it is for my wife and the slower it is the better!"

This was an interesting comment! I was hoping the extra hp would make it feel quicker but I guess the 05 is "peppier." I think both are 0-60 in ~8.5 in the auto.

We live in Dallas and the pricing seems less competitive than some of the other posts. Guess we will wait and see what happens over the next few months.
  • marvinb3marvinb3 Member Posts: 2
    Do I dare put a grill star on a 2005 C240? I love the look of the grille star (some call it a "center star") but the 2005 C240 was the perfect car for me. I don't want to sem like a poser so I hadn't even given it any thought. However, one of my friends who own a CLK said that he thinks I should do it. He said so long as you don't pull all the identifying marks off the back everyone will still know it is a C240. He claims that people viewing all this will just think that I like the grille star more than the hood star. I'm not so sure. Help. What should I do? :confuse:
  • schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they steal the H off the Principals car and he cries out...."Oh without the H how will anyone know its a HONDA!"
  • roskogrroskogr Member Posts: 1
    I was hoping the forum could shed some light on how the C230 handles in the snow. I live in the northeast and was looking to purchase a C230 or BMW 325i and was hoping someone could shed light on their driving experiences with either in the snow. Thank you!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    We've got a 2002 C240. I got a set of snow tires for it and it does just fine in the snow here in Boston. Real snow tires are vastly better than all-season tires. It's not as good as my 4Runner (which I also put snow tires on), but it will get you where you need to go if it's not a blizzard and you drive with a modicum of care.

If you get a c-class with 4Matic, I'm sure it would be better in the snow than the RWD version. But that comes with extra cost and reduced mileage...
  • piasonpiason Member Posts: 55
    Like the 2007 C230 but will this car drive in the snow? I live outside Philly and we get a couple of storms a year.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Yes.

Any car will do in the limited storms that you get if driven with a litte bit of care. Any all-wheel drive car is overkill for Philly.
  • piasonpiason Member Posts: 55
    I thinking of purchasing a 2006 or 2007 C230 but have a few questions. Since front & rear tires are different sizes, how many miles should I expect to get out of them "I’m not an aggressive driver"? Also the cost to replace all four tires? Do they make all season tires that will fit?

Thanks
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I'm thinking about getting a 2003 C230/C320 - and this is the dillemma.

- The C230 Coupe can be had with either engine.
    - The C230 Sedan can be had with either as well.
    Now, since I plan to get a model with as little electrical do-dads as posible and a manual gearbox, the question is which is better?

A few things I noticed:
    - The Sedan is actally lighter than the coupe by a few pounds.(?)
    - The 3.2 is about 300 lbs heavier, or adds about 8-9% to the car's overall wieght, but has a bit more power to compensate. The result it that the bigger engine model suffers a bit in the twisties, though(more weight in front) it's a bit faster in a straight line.

So performance-wise they look virtually identical overall. So the question is which engine is more reliable/better? I really don't want to have to deal with the engine itself for a very long time.

I figure that the 2003s are pretty free of non-electrical gremlins. Electrical I can deal with - it's hard mechanicals that I can't.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I'd go with the C320 because you get a lot more torque in the V6 compared to the supercharged 4 (221 LB-FT vs. 192). Plus it's a naturally aspirated 6 and doesn't have the supercharger of the 4, meaning in my opinion less components to worry about in the future.

I have a C240 sedan with a 2.6L V6 and I find the torque to be plenty. I have not driven a C320, but I did drive the C230 and don't find it as exciting as it should be.

You should drive both and see how they feel. But I'd stick with the bigger motor, 4 doors cause it has more room than the hatchback.

Also you might have a hard time finding one in manual, as most were manumatic autos. :)

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• georgeb2georgeb2 Member Posts: 2
    could u tell me where you found your parts? and did you do your brake job? I have done numerous US cars, and have taught my sons, I am leary of the benz because of the electronics, did you experience any unusal things, such as sensors?
    I just got this Benz about a month ago used, so I haven't had to do any maintenance on it yet. I don't think the parts are expensive as I went to a MB dealer to replace a burnt out tail light bulb and it cost me $1.80, and the valet guy changed it for me too.

The oild changes are more because it runs synthetic but you have to do it every 15000kms (9-10k miles).

So far I only experienced minor issues such as the passenger side vanity mirror light working only sporadically, the passenger side heated seat only works on the backrest and not the cushion itse;f, and the little red light by the shifter that tells you which position the shifter is in goes out sporadically.

These are not things that bother me much since I picked the car up for a song (2001 C240), but it would be annoying if it were a new car.

And compared to my 2005 Civic that I had before this I am paying double for gas. All in all I love the car and I think it's worth it.

oops, didn't notice you weren't asking me.. :blush:

I think the person you were asking might take a while to give you a reply. The poast was dated August of 2005

• cybersheepcybersheep Member Posts: 3
    NEVER BUY A MERCEDES!

I have a C Class that I have just traded in for a Lexus I250. After $4000 in repairs in 2006, at 110,000 miles in January 2007 the MB Dealer said it would be about $3000 to replace the engine harness. I appealed to MB HQ, but couldn't even get a return call. I eventually received a "FOAD" letter saying that they wouldn't cover a replacement harness. Not only has the quality of materials dropped to a new low, but their Germanic sensitivity to customers is unacceptable.

I'll now "All Lexus all the time"!

Cybersheep
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    enjoy your Lexus - probably the most unexciting lux car on the planet. I know many Merc owners that have never had a minutes trouble with them. Sorry you weren't one of them, and pray your Lex isn't plagued with engine sludge problems like so many other Toyotas are.
  • wulffman1wulffman1 Member Posts: 16
    Cybersheep, you didnt mention what year your vehicle was. The W202 C-class was known to have an engine harness problem around the world. I had a '96 in south africa that had this problem, as well as many other problems that resulted from cost cutting when this model was developed such as an HVAC that turned off an on as it liked, suspension bushings that disintegrated, exhaust mufflers were rust prone, etc. In its defense it had been abused its whole life, had over 200,000kms which incl alot of dirt roads when I sold it. It wasnt the best model, but hasnt put me off wanting another Merc. My mom had an '83 W123 200 from new until '95 when she sold it, only problems were body rust (we lived stones through from the sea) and a slightly cracked dashboard.
  • cybersheepcybersheep Member Posts: 3
    The wiring harness problem was on a 1994 C Class that was garaged in California all the time & had only 110,000 miles on it. I contacted MB HQ in New Jersey and they were:

1) Rude
    and
    2) Arrogant
    and
    3) Denied any quality problems with wiring

I found their attitude to be even worse that their quality!

Thanks for the insights.
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    Well... it may be too early to say, but based on a lot of the back and forth on these forums, I bought a 2006 C280 in April 2006. I've now had it 10 months, and after 27 years of driving, I have to say its the best car I've ever owned in terms of responsiveness, solidity, ease of use in big city usage, and pickup. It can't compete with cars that are $10,000 more expensive, but for the price its a great car. Part of the appeal to me is the sharp turning radius, good pickup, and ability to shift quickly and respond quickly in big city driving conditions as well as highway. I drove Volvo for many years; and loved the older versions, but they can't compare here for what's important to me.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That's good to hear!
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Can anyone comment on whether a C-class CDI is in the works for MB?
  • v_dv_d Member Posts: 89
    it is...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Different sources say different things, but Zetsche has been quoted directly by at least one car mag that the C will get a diesel option in the USA. Better be - it's the only one I'm interested in. My guess is that we will have to wait until middle-to-late 2008, when the 2009 model year comes along.

MY2008: 3.0 and 3.5 gasoline only
    MY2009: Add the 3.0 Diesel [which for marketing reasons, continues to be called a "320"]
  • fellyfelly Member Posts: 16
    I just have a question for everyone out there. I own a 2004 C230 and I've recently noticed on some 2006 models that they made a beeping sound when locked and unlock the car. Does anyone know how to program your car to do this? Thanks
    I don't know, iu couldn't find that in the owner's manual, because my 2001 C240 doesn't beep either and I'd like it to.

Did you check you owner's manual?

It's in the owner's manual; you have to reprogram the key fobs to do this. It's a simple process. We preferred silence; before you do this, think about how annoying it is to have cars beeping at each other every time somebody locks the doors. Anyway, if you're sure this is what you want, look in the book...
  • fellyfelly Member Posts: 16
    I've looked throught the book, but I can't seem to find it. All I could find was how to reprogram the locking/unlocking paterns (1 door or all doors). Can u shed some light? Thanks
    We don't have our C any more, so I can't reference the manual. You can call the dealer's service dept, and one of the advisors would be more than happy to walk you through it. Or call the MBUSA national number and ask for help.
  • bufnitabufnita Member Posts: 6
    I can't find an answer to this question, so i hope somebody can help me here. Why does the 2006 C230's fuel economy is 21/30 and the 2007 C230's is 19/25. They both have the same 2.5L V6, 7 speed auto. The new EPA guidelines are not in effect until the 2008 models come out.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Well for those interested in diesels, Mercedes is introducing an R280 CDI(and for those who care, a 7 passenger R). This is good news because of this engine, There is a chance that there will be a 194hp C280 CDI diesel!!

-Cj
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    According to the 2007 C-Class brochure the C230 is still 21/30. Not sure where you saw the mileage posted.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Well, if the rest of the car, particularly the electrical/electronic systems, proves to be half as robust as the engine probably will be, I'll be quite interested. I figure it'll be 3-5 years before the jury returns its verdict.

Oh, and it'd better come with a manual transmission.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    It's a shame, though, that they did away with the 1.8L supercharged engine, though. Same performance as the 2.3L engine, but 100lbs lighter and much better fuel efficiency.

It also revved very quickly, which made the manual versions of it amazing to drive compared to the others. Light - quick - and fun.
    Yes but it was the better decision A supercharger wears down the life of the engine. Its like you drinking espresso. For awhile you'll be fine but by the end of the week... ;)

Also, the 2.5l v6 has better fuel economy(7speed auto) and doesn't have to work nearly as hard as that old engine. If anything, they should turbocharge the 3.5l v6 and aim for 306hp to be up there with the competition. It only compares with the Acura TSX (205hp 4cyl. Likely to get 2.3l turbo and 260hp), saab 9-3(Redesigned soon to new Elpsilion2 platform with Malibu, Aura ect), and the smaller engines from Lexus and BMW.

Oh, mercedes may bring over the A or B class hatches to compete with the 1series, A3, ect so you may see that engine again.

-Cj :)
  • bufnitabufnita Member Posts: 6
    The fuel economy is listed on the mbusa.com website and also on the window sticker at the dealership. It is not 21/30.
    FOR THE RECORD!!!

The 2007 C230 Sport Sedan has 19city/25highway MPG 6MT

The 2007 C280 Luxury Sedan has 22city/28highway MPG 7AT

The 2007 C350 Sport Sedan has 20city/28highway MPG 6MT

The 2007 C350 Luxury Sedan has 20city/29highway MPG 7AT

My favorite car in the class, the 2007 Acura TSX 6MT has 22city/30highway MPG. 5AT is 22city/32highway MPG

Heres a link to my source which IMO is very reliable.

-Cj :)
    The 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan has 24city/33highway with automatic.

And it's 3250lbs. The new C230 is 3405lbs.

It really is a shame that they got rid of that specific combo. Bit quicker, better gas mileage, and less weight.
  • psobkiewiczpsobkiewicz Member Posts: 20
    I'm looking at purchasing a used 05 C240 4matic. What is the performance (acceleration) on this car compared the the C240 RWD? How has the reliability been? Also, has anyone used a rear-facing car seat in theirs? Does it fit OK? Also, what kind of MPG is everyone getting? Thanks!
    IMO, the worst mistake you can make is to buy a C class, 3 series, or A4 for a rear facing child seat. It has basically the smallest amount of space available. IMO, you should look for a 2004-2007 acura TL. It bigger, cheaper, more powerful, more fuel efficient(The RWD c280 gets better city 22 vs the acura's 20) and holds its value. more

If you need AWD, try the acura RL, acura MDX(04-06), RX330(RX350)or even the g35x.

Heres a comparison to the TL, RL, C class(RWD and AWD), and g35x,

-A great place to check for used, new, or "certified pre-owned" cars is www. Autotrader.com.

-Cj :) Hope this helps!
  • psobkiewiczpsobkiewicz Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the heads up on the car seat. We are actually looking at an 05 TL. We currently have an 02 3.2TL that we're getting rid of. My wife had a 95 C280 prior and she misses the benz...
    I'm looking at purchasing a used 05 C240 4matic. What is the performance (acceleration) on this car compared the the C240 RWD? How has the reliability been? Also, has anyone used a rear-facing car seat in theirs? Does it fit OK? Also, what kind of MPG is everyone getting? Thanks!
    I'd pass on it. If you really REALLY need AWD, get a Subaru or a 4x4 SUV. Otherwise, a RWD sedan with traction/stability control will do just as well as any part-time AWD system(and often better on dry roads).

The C Class is only reliable if you get it without the electronic options(sunroof, gps, etc) and also with only two engines for those years - the 1.8 Supercharged 4 and the 3.2L engines. Manual is a must as well, because Mercedes doesn't hardly make ANY automatics in Germany - so it's a cheap unit that's not up to the standards of the E or S class. Think Chrysler transmission in a Benz for a correct mental image. The C class AWD is based upon this level of "quality" so it's a bad choice.

And the Mercedes 4Matics are quite honestly, hellishly expensive to fix if they go bad.

But... A C320 with manual is a joy. I like the Kompressor as well since ~190HP is plenty for a small sedan.
    RWD is the worst in terms of drivetrains and foul weather. AWD/4wd is best followed by FWD then RWD. The FWD cars have so much weight on the font tires and therefore its easier to get traction. Its basically pulling its way trough. RWD is more like pushing.

-Cj
    No necessarily. FWD really only is a major help with very small and light cars. As most cars are now over 3000 lbs - and most of the luxury models, even the C class are approaching 3500lbs+, FWD isn't as necessary as it once was.

A good bit of traction and stability control plus a winter mode will do wonders(as well as putting the "nut" behind the wheel on right ;) ). ie - driver skill is still 75-80% of the equation.

If I had to have a car to drive in winter, I'd just get a Subaru Impreza. $169 a month lease currently and does fantastic in snow.
    My C240 was a nightmare to drive in the snow. My fiancee's automatic Civic was easier to maneuver around, even without Winter mode or traction control that my car has.

Granted winter tires would have helped a lot which I didn't have.

Next winter I'm getting myself a second car, a FWD winter beater though.

Next winter I'm getting myself a second car, a FWD winter beater though.
    $169 a month for 42 months is hard to beat. ;) (currently this is the best factory subsidized deal out there by a massive margin)
    That is a good deal, but unfortunately up here in Canada car's aren't that cheap.

Cheapest one would be a Chevy Aveo for $199/month. (I'll stick to an old used Accord or Civic that I don't mind banging up either.

This discussion has been closed.